PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Music Store Outage on Sept 21

MacRumors
Sep 17, 2003, 06:24 PM
Apple Discussions (http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@206.GVruaZH4fSp.2@.efb9281) contains a notice that Apple's iTunes Music Store will be unavailable on Sunday, September 21, 2003 from midnight to 2:30AM PDT.

arn
Sep 17, 2003, 06:27 PM
page 2 for uncertain significance.

arn

Genie
Sep 17, 2003, 06:30 PM
of course kazaa has outages too...

oh...maybe it doesn't.

pyrotoaster
Sep 17, 2003, 06:33 PM
Interesting. I wonder why they're taking it down...?

Sonofhaig
Sep 17, 2003, 06:33 PM
I won't be awake....... :D

Freg3000
Sep 17, 2003, 06:44 PM
Is there anyway I can justify this to mean that iTMS for Windows/Europe is coming soon?

applemacdude
Sep 17, 2003, 06:45 PM
Probaly just regular updating or just uploading of a bunch of music or something bigger ( itunes windows)?

bennetsaysargh
Sep 17, 2003, 06:50 PM
maybe its just standard server maintenance?
it could be to switch it to a bigger server for al the windows and IK users:)

Stella
Sep 17, 2003, 07:05 PM
LOL, your funny.

iTunes outside the US borders this decade?

No chance

:D
Originally posted by Freg3000
Is there anyway I can justify this to mean that iTMS for Windows/Europe is coming soon?

NavyIntel007
Sep 17, 2003, 07:46 PM
I would imagine they're using clusters of computers to handle the demand. This could mean that extra bandwidth is being installed for the WiTMS. One never knows.

JoeRadar
Sep 17, 2003, 08:00 PM
This is probably to switch to the G5 version of their Xserves. ;)

PS. I hope they don't announce a G5-based Xserve until they can finally catch up to all the demand for the dual G5s. Nothing like putting additional strain on a very short supply.

notech
Sep 17, 2003, 08:01 PM
Oh wow... I'm surprised something this insignificant would even be posted... and it sure does generate quite a bit of "what ifs..." and "probably"'s...

Everybody has these little outages... nothing to get excited or sad about, I promise.

alia
Sep 17, 2003, 08:09 PM
It's either routine maintenance, or they are doing some load-testing for the Windows version... ;)

Alia

arn
Sep 17, 2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by notech
Oh wow... I'm surprised something this insignificant would even be posted... and it sure does generate quite a bit of "what ifs..." and "probably"'s...

Everybody has these little outages... nothing to get excited or sad about, I promise.

that's what Page 2 is for... ;)

it's also a heads up for anyone wanting to buy a song sunday night. :)

arn

ear2ear
Sep 17, 2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Stella
LOL, your funny.

iTunes outside the US borders this decade?

No chance

:eek:
c'mon dog, it's gotta happen....

right???

JtheLemur
Sep 17, 2003, 09:44 PM
They're taking it down 'cause they're releasing G5 iBooks.

Steven1621
Sep 17, 2003, 10:34 PM
the start of iTMS for windows perhaps...

the thought leaves all of us still stuck on the pc rather giddy

prosaic
Sep 17, 2003, 10:49 PM
they're probably planning to post a large backlog of music from the independent labels; a lot of files, and a potential change to the iTMS interface (the "indie" category) might warrant a brief service outage..

Bob Knob
Sep 17, 2003, 11:15 PM
I only heard about it being "taken down" during the development stage once and that was for a pretty major change to the way the authorization functions worked. My guess would be for something involved with the authentication functions of the Windows version being developed.

Just for clarification, I was not involved or had any knowledge of the iTunes Music Store during development, and I don't have any now (including inside info about this planned outage), all my info is from discussions with a couple of key players since the launch. And no, they wouldn't tell me anything about this even if I asked, which I won't.

Awimoway
Sep 18, 2003, 02:56 AM
So what I want to know is if Windows iTunes will become the new official playlist manager for Windows iPods. I would assume so, but maybe Windows iTunes will not be fully featured and will only be a front for the music store.

Cochrane
Sep 18, 2003, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Awimoway
So what I want to know is if Windows iTunes will become the new official playlist manager for Windows iPods. I would assume so, but maybe Windows iTunes will not be fully featured and will only be a front for the music store.

The latter would be rather pointless. Since these protected AACs can only be read by iTunes (and the Quicktime Player, but that's no real music app) still using Musicmatch Jukebox would mean that you have to use one app (iTunes) for downloading and playing, and another (Musicmatch) only for your iPod. And I do think that Apple doesn't get this Musicmatch thing for free, so it would be in any case more sensible to use Windows-iTunes for the Windows-iPod.

displaced
Sep 18, 2003, 06:15 AM
As someone who tries to spend as much time with the Mac as possible, but still uses PCs for quite a lot of time, a full-featured iTunes for Windows would be a blessing!

Nothing comes close on Windows. The thought of having consistency between the Mac and PC for this is really exciting.

I wonder how many Windows users without an iPod of interest in the iTMS will buy/download iTunes simply as an MP3 player/organiser? Being in the UK, iTMS isn't an option for me, and I've no intention of bothering to put Firewire in my PC for the iPod .... but I'd still probably get iTunes for Windows, purely on its own merit.

psxndc
Sep 18, 2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by JtheLemur
They're taking it down 'cause they're releasing G5 iBooks.

Man, what is with you people?! The G5 is too hot for the iBook. The PowerMac has 9 fans. A G5 iBook isn't going to happen!!!

Yes, this was all a joke. I still can't get over the 8 pages of "G5 PB is/is not possible" flames before the expo.

-p

G4scott
Sep 18, 2003, 08:27 AM
Apple's been in the process of converting all of their AAC's into Windows Media Player 9 files. The outage is to make the actual switch ;)

mactastic
Sep 18, 2003, 09:28 AM
Weird though. You'd think if there was scheduled maintenance, or server upgrade or something along those lines that apple would post the reason for the shutdown. Definetly a conspiracy theory generator. I hope its something good.

And I was all set to buy a ton of music this sunday night only....

ssamani
Sep 18, 2003, 11:27 AM
Given Jobs's comments about trouble sorting out the licensing for iTMS Europe, I wonder whether it is a victim of its own success. Originally the big 5 agreed that Apple could do its experiment on its little niche of the market - US Mac customers.

After the rampant success, lots of other players seem to have found it really easy to get licences off the big 5 with sometime better deals than Apple (slightly cheaper, or in Europe).

I wonder whether the big 5 thought, "OK, the subscription model's not working, let see if we can do tight DRM but with per-song sales with other players and make some money off that" As a result they are still blinkered to the fact that it is not the per-song model that makes iTMS successful but rather the relatively open DRM and being closer to owning the music you buy. As a result they are holding Apple back on the licensing for Europe to see whether they can get away with stricter DRM.

Who knows?

Sanj

MongoTheGeek
Sep 18, 2003, 12:29 PM
Maybe its going down to allow you to sell the music "Used" ala the guy who tried it on e-Bay :)

bennetsaysargh
Sep 18, 2003, 02:07 PM
they cant let you do that because then you could have backed it up or something.

Javdogjavdog
Sep 20, 2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
they cant let you do that because then you could have backed it up or something.

I am pretty sure that e-bay guy went to crazy lengths to do it legally. Up to and including subsequently deleting the file.

Buymusic.com is interesting because its music files (Windows Media?) won't work on an iPod, so you save a quarter, right, but what good does it do you?

I do think that this is a Windows related shutdown coming up. Apple likes to keep us drooling. I use an iBook, but, like most Macusers, I would derive a certain satisfaction from seeing the Windows community be exposed to and craving more of the Mac platform.

I keep reading how several competing sites will challenge the iTMS this fall. The bottom line is iTunes for Windows would blow them all away, as long as we could get people to use it.

Free distribution of iTunes for XP would go a long way to sell more iMacs! Que no?

One Love.

Phil Of Mac
Sep 20, 2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Genie
of course kazaa has outages too...

oh...maybe it doesn't.

Kazaa runs on 200 MILLION servers around the world! And at any given time, MOST OF THEM ARE DOWN!

Originally posted by Cochrane
The latter would be rather pointless. Since these protected AACs can only be read by iTunes (and the Quicktime Player, but that's no real music app) still using Musicmatch Jukebox would mean that you have to use one app (iTunes) for downloading and playing, and another (Musicmatch) only for your iPod.

Stop there.

Is it just me, or is that the most anti-Apple thing Apple could do?

Guys, this is nothing. Servers go down every once in awhile for maintenance.