PDA

View Full Version : More iPhone Features Coming? Video Recording on iPhone?

MacRumors
Nov 13, 2007, 01:46 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Pocket-lint.co.uk reports (http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/11240/12264/apple-iphone-features-not-finished.phtml) that Apple has confirmed that "plenty more upgrades" are coming for the Apple iPhone.
"All the complaints and feature requests we've had can be fixed and added by software upgrades", a spokesman for the company told Pocket-lint.
Some even suggest that Apple is spacing out updates intentionally to provide gradually added functionality over months. One insider even claims that Apple is planning on adding video functionality with Youtube upload integration:
"They [Apple] aren't stupid. They won't want to give you everything at once. You wait, there will an exciting partnership with YouTube that adds video functionality and then lets you upload to the site in no time", an industry insider told Pocket-lint.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/13/more-iphone-features-coming-video-recording-on-iphone/)

ratspg
Nov 13, 2007, 01:48 PM
crazy :)

release the updates apple! make a killing! heh

twoodcc
Nov 13, 2007, 01:50 PM
wow, now this is just what i want: video recording. especially since i always have my phone with me

quigleybc
How about making Canada an Added Feature?

somberlaine
Maybe we won't see video recording untill second gen iphone

StudioGuy
Nov 13, 2007, 01:51 PM
Hope they don't drag out the feature cycle tooooo long.

KevanDual2.5
Nov 13, 2007, 01:52 PM
Am i the only one thinking that these updates will be released gradually simply to allow Apple to keep chasing the mouse?

Telp
Nov 13, 2007, 01:53 PM
google owns youtube right? In that case they are already teamed up with youtube right? Video recording is something I really wish was on this baby. Makes me cringe to see the crapp videos my freinds take with their razrs knowing if only my phone took video...is that really only a software update though?

illegalprelude
Nov 13, 2007, 01:54 PM
if they give me Video Recording and Picture messaging in this iPhone. I would buy another iPhone, just to show how much I appreciated it cause those are 2 KEY features for me that those free phones do and my god damn $600 phone does. not. do :o

Sending multiple text messages would be cool too (when you gotta tell a few people the same thing, sucks typing it over and over) but again, if they give me video recording (let alone, uploading to YouTube) and picture messages (so I can finally cancel my Verizon phone) ill be soooo ever sooo ever sooo happy :cool:

JC4
What's the marketing advantage of dragging out the most in-demand features, FLASH, mail-mass-delete, MMS....? Or dragging out bug-fixes like iPod that doesn't crash when surfing...?

justflie
It's great that Apple is planning updates. It would be much better if they just released the "normal" updates now (ie things other people already have). It was quite annoying to be at a concert where everyone is using their phones to take video and I can't. That's just silly. So get the features out the door that are pretty "everyday" and space out the super awesome amazing ones that no one else has. Please.

RichP
Nov 13, 2007, 01:57 PM
What's the marketing advantage of dragging out the most in-demand features, FLASH, mail-mass-delete, MMS....? Or dragging out bug-fixes like iPod that doesn't crash when surfing...?

Exactly..how is this phone going to process and upload video if it cant even play music and surf at the same time?

ozontheroad
Nov 13, 2007, 01:59 PM
now if they would only listen to all the complaints and feature requests they get for the touch

the touch is the mini of the iPod world

mike12806
Nov 13, 2007, 02:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Exactly..how is this phone going to process and upload video if it cant even play music and surf at the same time?

Seems like video upload would be better suited for a 3G iPhone...though it could be a wifi only like the iTunes store?

chr1s60
Nov 13, 2007, 02:05 PM
Ok Apple, prove it. I have yet to see one major complaint addressed. Copy/paste, Flash, MMS, landscape keyboard in text and email, iChat... those are all major complaints and wants. Fix one of them and maybe I will believe that everything will be given to us over the next few months. I am happy with my phone as is and enjoy new features, but I'm not going to believe this until I see something major addressed.

Danksi
Nov 13, 2007, 02:06 PM

:D

.. so long as you do something about Roger's data-pricing and coverage, here in the Kootenays! :(

paja
Nov 13, 2007, 02:06 PM
Yeah Apple, just release those updates and applictions real slow now.

While others pass you by and take your marketshare & mindshare away.

Hmm reminds me of the old days.

Still haven't learned your lessons in all these years.

You should have had the SDK ready or at least announced it at the iPhone intro.

Wankers!

WorthBak
Nov 13, 2007, 02:10 PM

that problem was fixed for me months ago... my ipod hasnt crashed while surfing in a long time :cool:

nagromme
Nov 13, 2007, 02:11 PM
I think the "spacing out" has a great deal to do with the fact that these things take WORK, and not everything can be done simultaneously. (Look at how they needed to pull people from Mac Leopard for iPhone Leopard.) People do love a good Evil Apple Conspiracy though ;)

No other company is "passing" the iPhone solution at present--they're even LESS able to deliver than Apple's team. These things aren't as easy as they sound.

blehpunk
Nov 13, 2007, 02:18 PM
i just want a junk email filter so i can quit wasting my time deleting thousands of stupid emails.

/dev/toaster
Nov 13, 2007, 02:20 PM
Why haven't they added the most basic feature that is driving me nuts ... I want the ability to change SMS, calendar and voicemail ringtones. What has it been, 4+ months and its still not there ?!

Come on Apple, wake up.

JonasLondon
Nov 13, 2007, 02:20 PM
I believe Steve said this on the very first iPhone presentation as well, didn't he? That's the whole point of not having the limitations of most other phones, the completely re-configurable user interface.

Having used an iPhone now for a few days, I absolutely love the little device.

And as some are complaining that they can not have the querty keyboard horizontally when sendind tex/sms messages, well, it is obviously no big deal as it already works with URL in Safari... it's all coming guys :-)

Watch this thing take off when the 3rd party dev kit is out next spring! I personally like a little "quality control/guidance" by the manufacturer of the device, I've had enough negative experience with the Nokia E61.

Go iPhone! :apple:

guzhogi
Nov 13, 2007, 02:24 PM
Something I'd LOVE to see, but I know will never happen, is have Apple add Google's Android cell phone thing. Apple will never do it, but would be cool.

JNeo25
Nov 13, 2007, 02:25 PM
And would Push email be that much of a friggin' feature to offer? Why doesn't AT&T offer it for 10 bucks more? I would gladly pay 10 dollars to be able to reply to clients with this stupid ass phone and not have to promote Yahoo! at the bottom. And not have to use a stupid yahoo address to begin with. You can't even change the reply-to on the yahoo account so now I have to have my professional address, and this dumbass yahoo one.

As smart as Steve is, I saw this one coming as soon as he said "Yahoo is providing push email". I pushed something into my shorts on that one!

MacFly123
Nov 13, 2007, 02:27 PM
I believe Steve said this on the very first iPhone presentation as well, didn't he? That's the whole point of not having the limitations of most other phones, the completely re-configurable user interface.

Having used an iPhone now for a few days, I absolutely love the little device.

And as some are complaining that they can not have the querty keyboard horizontally when sendind tex/sms messages, well, it is obviously no big deal as it already works with URL in Safari... it's all coming guys :-)

Watch this thing take off when the 3rd party dev kit is out next spring! I personally like a little "quality control/guidance" by the manufacturer of the device, I've had enough negative experience with the Nokia E61.

Go iPhone! :apple:

That is exactly why it is so pathetic that they haven't added these things yet. Especially with the landscape keyboard because the hugest criticism of the phone by far was how hard it is to type and even though they have it implemented half way they can't add it all around after three freaking updates nor any other highly requested feature that any free phone in the world has. I love the iPhone and am waiting for the 2nd gen till i get mine but that pisses me off. :mad:

mike12806
Nov 13, 2007, 02:28 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

And would Push email be that much of a friggin' feature to offer? Why doesn't AT&T offer it for 10 bucks more? I would gladly pay 10 dollars to be able to reply to clients with this stupid ass phone and not have to promote Yahoo! at the bottom. And not have to use a stupid yahoo address to begin with. You can't even change the reply-to on the yahoo account so now I have to have my professional address, and this dumbass yahoo one.

As smart as Steve is, I saw this one coming as soon as he said "Yahoo is providing push email". I pushed something into my shorts on that one!

15 minute email checking is satisfactory for most I'd say....

plumbingandtech

Mine can do both at the same time.

Hasn't happened since 1.1.1.

tribulation
all i want is a single friggin polished ANYTHING from :apple:
holy smokes,:apple: has so many unfinished products right now on the market that its getting absurd.
my pick for starters would be to make leopard usable.that'd be nice
but no,lets keep adding more and more and more and more bloat to everything and expand our product line out the gazoo.quality goes out the window but its ok because if they just keep selling a ton of half baked products and make more and more and then neglect them,they make a ton of money
the consumers?screwed
o well the money from mass expansion is more attractive than quality control
:apple: has always tried this in some form,but the past few years its getting far beyond their level of control and competence and every product they make now is suffering greatly

Cybergypsy
Nov 13, 2007, 02:29 PM
I sold my iphone, think i will wait till they improve it;)

gugy
Nov 13, 2007, 02:33 PM
just give me a freaking 16 to 32gig iPhone, That's all I need.:eek:

MacTheSpoon
Nov 13, 2007, 02:37 PM
I also don't see what the advantage would be to intentionally delaying the release of new iPhone features. Especially with the holiday shopping season approaching.

I, too, think it's more likely that it's just a matter of Apple being overwhelmed with all the things they're trying to do with the iPhone. After all they only barely got it out the door in time for their July deadline, and only then because they pulled engineers off other projects to help out.

Right now, they've just finished adding international language capabilities to the thing, and launching it in two new countries, with more releases coming up, plus they're trying to make an SDK in time for February. Trying to write quality apps on top of that takes time, and work.

Once that SDK is out, we will see 3d parties step up and the feature set will really take off. In the meantime, I'm sure the iPhone engineers are running around like crazy trying to get everything done and we just have to give them some time.

It might help if they added more engineers to their group. On the other hand, Apple likes to keep working groups small, and based on the high quality they usually produce, it seems to be a good practice.

terrrrrible
Nov 13, 2007, 02:37 PM
iChat soon, please.

chim9999
Nov 13, 2007, 02:41 PM
i'd love to have gps but my guess is that, since the phone uses google maps, apple won't upgrade the phone until after google puts out their own phone software.

sjo
Nov 13, 2007, 02:43 PM

what?? :eek::eek::eek: you cant play music and surf at the same time on iphone?? are you serious??

i can't believe i've read dozens of iphone reviews and none of them mention that restriction! that's just basic stuff. how can that not work??

i wonder what else those reviews happened not to mention... damn apple fanboy journalism!

owen-b
Nov 13, 2007, 02:44 PM
Not quite so sure why on earth a company would actively disable in it's product all the ABSOLUTELY BASIC FUNCTIONS that all the competitors do really well out the box and then drip feed them to you one at a time over months and months and months. How exactly is that a clever or innovative idea worth praising or getting excited about?

I ain't getting an iPhone until it can combine it's gorgeous interface with the absolute basics that every other phone in the world can do.

JNeo25
Nov 13, 2007, 02:44 PM
"15 minute email checking is satisfactory for most I'd say...."

Not anyone who switched from Blackberry. Pulling in emails is old, outdated, and far less efficient. Not to mention that it totally wrecked my mail accounts.

The Yahoo! implementation of push is horrid. Yahoo! as a company is on the ropes and this push thing should have been right on day one.

It seems like apple has more balls in the air than it has jugglers to catch them.

psychofreak
Nov 13, 2007, 02:46 PM
Apple had such a great opportunity to have a crappy camera on the front, use PhotoBooth effects and have Phone<->Computer videochats...

Virgil-TB2
Nov 13, 2007, 02:47 PM
... expand our product line out the gazoo. quality goes out the window but its ok because if they just keep selling a ton of half baked ... Not to interrupt the rant too much here, but I think you meant "Wazoo" (or "ass").

This is "Gazoo."

owen-b
Nov 13, 2007, 02:47 PM
what?? :eek::eek::eek: you cant play music and surf at the same time on iphone?? are you serious??

i can't believe i've read dozens of iphone reviews and none of them mention that restriction! that's just basic stuff. how can that not work??

i wonder what else those reviews happened not to mention... damn apple fanboy journalism!
Calm down dude. Do your research and don't read too much into that comment. The iPhone should be able to play music and surf the web at the same time just fine, but what with it being a first gen product it's been known to wig out at times when there's too much going on. Like another poster says, bugs like that have been getting fixed with each update, which is generally what updates are for - not for adding the functionality that should really have been there from day one. But hey. At least they're adding this stuff.

CTK2651
Nov 13, 2007, 02:51 PM
Maybe these means emailing movies on your iPhone NOT taken by your iPhone, but I found this on their support forum on uploading pictures to web gallery.

"You can also email photos or movies from iPhone to other Web Galleries that allow contributions. For more information, search .Mac Help for "Adding photos or movies via email to a Web Gallery."

grappler
Nov 13, 2007, 02:52 PM
Two words: Stereo Bluetooth.

thejadedmonkey
Nov 13, 2007, 02:52 PM
Some even suggest that Apple is spacing out updates intentionally to provide gradually added functionality over months.

Why would they do that? I can understand lack of manpower, but this makes it seem like they're withholding just for the sake of withholding.

Telp
Nov 13, 2007, 02:55 PM
iChat soon, please.

hear hear !

germ war
Nov 13, 2007, 02:56 PM
Video would be sweet and all, but it sure would be nice to send a text message to multiple recipients.

iwood
Nov 13, 2007, 03:01 PM
Two words: Stereo Bluetooth.

another 2:

mac world

coachingguy
What does Apple have planned for iPhone "The Sequel"? I've been holding off buying an iPhone for a number of reasons, not the least of which was that ATT didn't service my area, but that changes Jan 1 '08.:D

Upping the storage? Could they make it smaller? Increasing the pixels of the camera? Upping battery life?

Will this be announced at MacWorld San Fran?

Coachingguy

lazyrighteye
Maybe we won't see video recording untill second gen iphone

Agreed.
I having a sneaking suspicion we won't see some of the iPhone's glaring holes filled until v2 comes out.
As far as video is concerned: I'm no technician, but is video functionality as "simple" as a software update? No hardware update required?

timmillwood
Nov 13, 2007, 03:02 PM
This has made me think maybe the second gen iPhone won't come until holidays 2008 just before everyones current contract (2yr US, 18month UK) runs out and just before the biggest sales quarter of the year.

Apple will keep the 1st Gen iPhone a live with the cool new software. Remember the Powerbook G4, that was really far behind its time for years but apple kept making and it people kept buying it because of the software!

Eduardo1971
Nov 13, 2007, 03:02 PM

Chill, bud. Its just a bloody phone.

lazyrighteye
Nov 13, 2007, 03:03 PM
Am i the only one thinking that these updates will be released gradually simply to allow Apple to keep chasing the mouse?

Despite it's feline code names, I'm not so sure Apple is the cat. :o

Hattig
Nov 13, 2007, 03:17 PM
Ugh, Push Email.

I see the adverts on the tube ... they might as well read "Blackberry. Work yourself to death". I can imagine an advert where you hear the blackberry "New Email" noise from someone's coffin.

Push Email. Just Say No.

newwavedave

Try Troll FUD. You can listen to music and surf the internet just fine. I hope that Apple builds in voice recognition soon. And, is it just me, but don't you think that Apple could sell a lot more copies of iLife if they made Garage Band able to convert your songs to ringtones?

lazyrighteye
This has made me think maybe the second gen iPhone won't come until holidays 2008 just before everyones current contract (2yr US, 18month UK) runs out and just before the biggest sales quarter of the year.

Apple will keep the 1st Gen iPhone a live with the cool new software. Remember the Powerbook G4, that was really far behind its time for years but apple kept making and it people kept buying it because of the software!

iPhone v2 will be out sooner than holiday '08.
Next summer, US, latest. My guess centers around spring time (Feb/Mar).
I have theories about the next gen iPhone being the rumored ultra portable - a hybrid of laptop & iPhone (but I won't bore you all with that nonsense again).

With a v2 iPhone releasing mid-AT&T contract, it is my hope that AT&T will allow current iPhone users to upgrade sans penalties (simply extend their contract another 2 years - if they must - and happily take their $400 for a new device). It really would be in both AT&T and Apple's best interests - or maybe just in mine. :p

jholzner
Nov 13, 2007, 03:18 PM
Something I'd LOVE to see, but I know will never happen, is have Apple add Google's Android cell phone thing. Apple will never do it, but would be cool.

Add it?? Android is an entire mobile OS just like OS X is on the iPhone. You can't just "add" Android without replacing the entire iPhone OS. Kinda like saying Apple should add Linux to Mac OS X (Android is based on Linux btw).

Darth.Titan
Nov 13, 2007, 03:26 PM
Add it?? Android is an entire mobile OS just like OS X is on the iPhone. You can't just "add" Android without replacing the entire iPhone OS. Kinda like saying Apple should add Linux to Mac OS X (Android is based on Linux btw).

And I believe Arn mentioned this in another thread, that Android = Java.
iPhone doesn't do Java, so unfortunately Android on iPhone is very unlikely.

JC4
Nov 13, 2007, 03:47 PM
Try Troll FUD. You can listen to music and surf the internet just fine.

Hardly FUD. It's a real problem, been there since v1.0.0. After the 2nd update, I called to report the problem to Apple support. Spent an hour on the phone reproducing the problem. They sent me a replacement, which I quickly proved had the same problem. Spent another 2+ hours on the phone trying different combinations of music types, and web pages. Still simple to reproduce the crash in under 15 minutes. Eventually(days later) the tech found out from the dev department it was a known issue, and there was no ETA on the fix. The workaround was to reboot the phone(Duh!). They just don't communicate such issues to the support staff, so it waisted a lot of my time and theirs. I returned the loaner phone, and just stopped using iPod with Safari. Apple chose to fix me rather than the bug. :(

You obviously don't surf more than a couple minutes while listening to music. Why is it people like you label everyone with a problem a troll? Does it make you feel better to assume you're right and everyone else is wrong?

lazyrighteye
Nov 13, 2007, 03:49 PM

You do know that "Google's cell phone thing" is an operating system, right?

garty
Nov 13, 2007, 03:50 PM
And I believe Arn mentioned this in another thread, that Android = Java.
iPhone doesn't do Java, so unfortunately Android on iPhone is very unlikely.

Android uses java syntax and APIs but has it's own VM called Dalvik not a java VM (according to reports)

maveness
Nov 13, 2007, 03:55 PM
I've never understood why everyone is so hyped about a horizontal version of the keyboard. Haven't you noticed that, in Safari, when you use the horizontal version of the keyboard, the viewable area of the text your typing is restricted to at most two lines.

It is VERY user-unfriendly for writing or editing anything. If they do implement a horizontal keyboard for email, they should probably shrink it to less than the width of the iPhone to allow for more vertical text space above the keys.

As for those having trouble listening to music and surfing Safari at the same time... you have upgraded your firmware/software, right? (You're not using an unlocked phone or something...?) Because one of the early updates pretty much eliminated the browser crash, at least for most of us.

And yeah, I'd like voice dialing, and some basic text editing gesture for cut and paste. I'd love to be able to take short video clips and upload them. And I'd REALLY like for my iPhone's photos to not have a nasty cyan cast to them all the time.

robshort
Nov 13, 2007, 03:56 PM
They [Apple] aren't stupid. They won't want to give you everything at once.

Stupid, no - but that business model is plenty ********* annoying.

SpinThis!
Nov 13, 2007, 03:57 PM
I also don't see what the advantage would be to intentionally delaying the release of new iPhone features.
I can think of at least one... accounting. iPhone's revenue is coming over 2 years time; you can't just release everything at once. Plus, all the people who bought it on day 1 would find something else to bitch about. No way Apple can please everyone, especially all at once but they can slowly roll out more features over time.

Especially with the holiday shopping season approaching.
If the regular features of the iPhone aren't enough to entice somebody to buy it (full safari and e-mail, visual voicemail, etc) no software upgrade is going to do that. Anybody who purchases a gadget based on upgradeability first instead of its current feature set is foolish. You might as well wait until the device has those features first (and probably ends up dropping in price too) before buying in. People need to stop treating the iPhone like a stock and more like what it is.

ceiph
Nov 13, 2007, 03:59 PM
cmon apple i owned an iphone when they were 600 couldnt justify the price so i returned , now that its 400 im just waiting for a better feature set before i buy again!!

amx
Nov 13, 2007, 04:02 PM
video recording and all the you tube goodies are nice. Honestly, i couldnt care less. How about Apple, you fix text messaging. I want to be able to forward and send a text to multiple people. How hard can it be. I also want to be able to delete individual replies/texts from a conversation. Most people do alot of texting these days, more then email from a mobile device.

Also, just like other people mentioned copy/paste is missing. These are not features but rather bugs that need to be addressed rather quickly.

mrrory
Nov 13, 2007, 04:08 PM

Ha ha!

It's hard to be patient, but that's the price we pay for hanging on to these "rumo(u)rs" I suppose.

I would like the addition of video recording.

JC4
Nov 13, 2007, 04:10 PM
As for those having trouble listening to music and surfing Safari at the same time... you have upgraded your firmware/software, right? (You're not using an unlocked phone or something...?) Because one of the early updates pretty much eliminated the browser crash, at least for most of us.

Yes, I had the problem with the first 3 versions.(I haven't tried iPod/Surf with the latest) Never hacked my phone, or unlocked it.

Like I said above, Apple admitted its a known issue. I have no reason to lie about this. There's nothing to argue about here. I own an iPhone, and many other Apple products, and even some AAPL stock. Its NOT in my best interest to point out problems, accept to maybe help push Apple to fix it.

If you're not hitting the bug, you're not trying to surf while listening to tunes for any extended period of time(10-30 minutes). And, once it crashes once(iPod crashing that is), you can't get through one song without the crash repeating(while surfing). The phone must be rebooted, and the countdown timer to the next crash begins.

Manatee
Nov 13, 2007, 04:20 PM
That's good news, but I hope Apple doesn't focus their efforts too much on artsy multimedia functionality.

I speak, of course, from the perspective of my own needs -- those of a businessperson who has to keep track of a lot of data and correspondence, and juggle a lot of documents.

Now, I know that Apple's bias is toward media and the arts -- and I'll acknowledge that since BootCamp came along, I'm probably booting into Vista (Business!) 70% of the time.

What I really want from the iPhone is:

1. A Blackberry
2. With the interface and browser of the iPhone
3. And the broad range of applications of the Palm OS

Simple enough, right? ;)

tallyho
Nov 13, 2007, 04:21 PM
Video would be sweet and all, but it sure would be nice to send a text message to multiple recipients.
You can't do that on an iPhone?!? You can do that on a 10 pay as you go cheapo phone. iPhone costs over 900 (when you factor in the insanely high contract for 18 months AND the purchase price). Bizarre. I really want an iPhone, but wow. I mean wow.:eek:

Manatee
Nov 13, 2007, 04:26 PM
Push Email. Just Say No.

You can always not configure it, you know. :)

My philosophy on gadgets/machines/life is to alway offer as many features and as much flexibility as possible, but make it easy for the user to opt out of using any of those features. An example of this is the "automatic" spelling correction on the iPhone. I'd like to be able to switch it off and mispell (should I put a winky face here?) at will.

sjo
Nov 13, 2007, 04:27 PM
Calm down dude. Do your research and don't read too much into that comment. The iPhone should be able to play music and surf the web at the same time just fine, but what with it being a first gen product it's been known to wig out at times when there's too much going on. Like another poster says, bugs like that have been getting fixed with each update, which is generally what updates are for - not for adding the functionality that should really have been there from day one. hey. At least they're adding this stuff.

Dude:

1. i agree that it's a brand new product and i'd be surprised if it had zero problem.

however:

2. i think that listening music and surfing at the same time is really really basic functionality in this kind of product. if the product is having problems with this, they should be upfront about it, so buyers would know what to expect (or at least have an apple kb article)

3. i'm really surprised by the lack of integrity on the part of the reviewers, many of them of high profile and not even mentioning that there are some "minor" issues like this for apple to work out.

4. most of all, i'm surprised they have this kind of problems in osx environment.

RaoulNachi
Nov 13, 2007, 04:36 PM
Of course, Apple didn't put the whole pig in the poke for gen1. they have to have something for the second, third, etc. act. But, while the iPhone is cool, it is an Apple product and subject to being just a little behind the times, even though it has, for the moment, everyone's attention. I'm as big an apple fan as anyone, going back to 1977. Apple's attitude when faced with criticism of their shortcomings has always been "so what? you don't like it, don't buy it."

Everybody's gunning for the iPhone and Apple's going to have to get moving and stop screwing their market w/crippled product and incremental updates or the iPhone will be eclipsed and just a fond memory. It's not a matter of can they do it, it's a matter of will they do it before the others kick sand in their face.

I'm waiting to see what happens after the first of the year.

In the meantime, if you want to see what's coming down the pike and what technology Apple's left out, read:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202805257

kherge
Nov 13, 2007, 04:42 PM

Not sure but it's probably to give devs time to hammer out the bugs. The less you have to work on simultaneously, the more time you have to spend on other things.

Dagless
Nov 13, 2007, 04:46 PM
Makes sense-

Release iPhone > gets hacked > update fixes previous hacks > back to 2.

They need something to make those hack breakers worthwhile. And as someone who won't be hacking his iPhone I don't care :)

It is great that the iPhone is becoming more and more the machine I want it to be. It's missing 3G but with the coverage of that in my city I'll be glad it's on Edge.

imwoblin
Nov 13, 2007, 04:47 PM
This is Apple just preaching to the choir. I was one of the lemmings that stood in line 4 hours to purchase this device, knowing, I mean hoping that Apple would roll out features in a timely manner. Well, its been 4 months and 2 updates and not one useful smartphone feature has been added. Ok, we did get wireless iTunes, but that isn't really a useful feature in my book, just another revenue stream for Apple. I have to go back 3 generations of phones (Razor, Blackberry, MotoQ) to equal the limited smartphone apps of this device. I mean c'mon, Apple even locked down the Bluetooth capabilities to transfer files from you're Mac to the phone! As an Apple shareholder, I am delighted at the success of this cool gadget, but just think how many more people would step up to the plate and purchase one of these bad boys if it had MMS, copy/paste, bluetooth support, video support, save picture to phone etc..

daysleeper
Nov 13, 2007, 05:05 PM
Just give me SMS to multiple recipients. Several times I have had to tell people at work that I can't do that with my iPhone (I sometimes need to send hourly SMS updates about stuff) and you should see the looks I get. As in, "You spent $400 on a phone that can't send a text to more than one person?"

I can't say I blame them.

Any video taken with the iPhone camera will look terrible. Just see what happens when you are framing a picture and move the phone around.

tribulation
Nov 13, 2007, 05:08 PM
I'm as big an apple fan as anyone, going back to 1977. Apple's attitude when faced with criticism of their shortcomings has always been "so what? you don't like it, don't buy it."

yes it is so true
:apple: has flaws like EVERY company and person. what makes some of us,the honest ones anyway mad is when there is a definite flaw or major bug in an :apple: product and when we mention it,so many people wont even acknowledge it.
do you guys really think that any company could be THAT good at anything?
no,thats just fact
and when giant bugs do come up,if nobody acknowledges them and blows it off as nonexistent because of the almighty :apple: i guarantee you that the almighty wont fix it.complaining about valid bugs and defects is what drives a consumer society and companies to fix things.if you dont complain,it doesnt get fixed.simple as that

by the way how many of you have tried to post a 'negative' question on apple discussion boards? :apple: moderators are deleting them like wildfire lately,more than ever.Apple's discussion boards are supposed to be there to help answer questions.except if your question points out a bug or flaw of apple,it has a big chance of being deleted.the leopard forums especially are smattered with 'unavailable' links now that should point to valid and useful questions,but apple moderators deleted them because they brought up flaws in apple products.its ridiculous
and i'm not talking about just flame posts,i mean they are deleting questions and answers very readily that bring up anything wrong or that doesn't work with apple products.that is NOT an honest and helpful company attitude and the problem is getting alot worse lately

anthonymoody
Nov 13, 2007, 05:10 PM
Too busy to read the whole thread, but the other reason to space out functionality updates is that it gives them a nice, built in, periodic schedule of sorts to break all the hacks. Again and again. Without it seeming like they're solely coming after the hacks.

WIth all the brains around here I would think this was already considered :)

TM

Darkroom
Nov 13, 2007, 05:11 PM

seriously...

MacFly123
Nov 13, 2007, 05:12 PM
This is what I don't get... If Apple doesn't add these main features like MMS, Copy Paste, Video, etc BEFORE Feb, then they are going to lose those things to third party developers and they wouldn't want that to happen would they??? Wouldn't they want people using their apps? So I would think they would add them before then, but with this track record it is looking NOT GOOD at all. Any thoughts people???

anthonymoody
Nov 13, 2007, 05:15 PM
by the way did they "fix" the lack of a unified inbox yet?

joeshell383
Nov 13, 2007, 05:20 PM

No, I believe the same thing. If they release all of the features, they have no leverage to get people to continue to update their software. If they leave even one "must have" feature out, like cut and paste, that gives them the power of an additional update. With people hacking and cracking left and right, and within hours of releases, I have a feeling, unfortunately, that we won't see all the features rolled out for quite some time.

monke
Nov 13, 2007, 05:29 PM
Could you imagine (just picture it for a moment) that if Apple enabled camera recording, and then included an iMovie-like app for editing videos.

It wouldn't take much. The iPhone's already got OS X, just slim down iMovie to the basics. :)

samwich
Nov 13, 2007, 05:32 PM
all of this is easier said than done

Axl Rose
Nov 13, 2007, 05:37 PM
They need to add flash(light) for the camera..that cant be updated with hardware either...

They also need to add video recording,picture messaging,a text to multiple people..stuff that my phone has out of the box...oh yeah and 3g....and at least 16 gigs..then ill buy one...till then im good with my phone and touch.

fuzzybunny
Nov 13, 2007, 06:00 PM
My #1 request is to integrate to-do lists! I'm still amazed that was not included out of the gate. Now that it's part of mail in Leopard I'm hoping we see it on the iPhone soon.

Otherwise: support for Flash, AirTunes and better texting capabilities such as the ones mentioned previously in this thread..

robshort
Nov 13, 2007, 06:02 PM
If the regular features of the iPhone aren't enough to entice somebody to buy it (full safari and e-mail, visual voicemail, etc) no software upgrade is going to do that.

Hm. You must have a different iPhone than me. Mine doesn't support flash. I wouldn't exactly call that "full safari."

bluedevil14
Nov 13, 2007, 06:03 PM
i can def see this happening.
also, im expecting more products from google to be on the iphone, as long as googles new platform doesnt strain the iphone/google relationship

and of course ichat will be the first thing they update

bluedevil14
Nov 13, 2007, 06:04 PM
Could you imagine (just picture it for a moment) that if Apple enabled camera recording, and then included an iMovie-like app for editing videos.

It wouldn't take much. The iPhone's already got OS X, just slim down iMovie to the basics. :)

or how bout just a basic iphoto, its a lot less intensive

elppa
Nov 13, 2007, 06:13 PM
That's good news, but I hope Apple doesn't focus their efforts too much on artsy multimedia functionality.

I speak, of course, from the perspective of my own needs -- those of a businessperson who has to keep track of a lot of data and correspondence, and juggle a lot of documents.

Now, I know that Apple's bias is toward media and the arts -- and I'll acknowledge that since BootCamp came along, I'm probably booting into Vista (Business!) 70% of the time.

What I really want from the iPhone is:

1. A Blackberry
2. With the interface and browser of the iPhone
3. And the broad range of applications of the Palm OS

Simple enough, right? ;)

Apple will wind up and have a crack at the enterprise before long.

They have been making slow but considered steps since Mac OS X was introduced. The problem is the enterprise is a slow moving beast not very open or receptive to new ideas. Hence an all out offensive is likely to back fire and be very costly. So for the moment, iPhone will be a consumer device.

I imagine you will most of those things at some stage though (i.e. good push email) and not just the range of Apps that palm has, but far greater quality of apps as well and some of these will be very useful for business.

The bad news is you will have to be patient.

Babasyzygy
Nov 13, 2007, 07:01 PM
That would be much more interesting if you couldn't already get a whole lot more functionality just by jailbreaking your iPhone (http://www.tuaw.com/2007/11/09/iphone-testing-the-1-1-2-jailbreak/).

I held out for months, but I just couldn't go any longer without a freakin' To-Do list (even most stupid phones have To-Do lists these days). I finally have the phone I wanted when I bought an iPhone - games, terminal, pseudo-GPS functionality, and (of course) To-Do lists. Free ringtones from my legally owned music, too.

Even if Apple ever decides to really punish jailbroken iPhones, it'll be easy to restore to 1.1.1 and look like the phone has never been jailbroken.

The fact of the matter is, the third party community can develop this stuff much more quickly than Apple ever can. We'll see come February just how much Apple will be embracing them.

rstansby
Nov 13, 2007, 07:20 PM
i just want a junk email filter so i can quit wasting my time deleting thousands of stupid emails.

Why download junk mail in the first place. Why not use a mail server that can filter junk mail before you download it. I have heard gmail is great for this. Personally I use .mac. I guess it uses my junkmail settings from Mail on my mac. I never had to think about junk mail filters for the iPhone. Sorry to be cliche, but "It just works."

nickspohn
Nov 13, 2007, 07:37 PM
You guys act like Apple is trying to not put certain key features on the iPhone.

IT TAKES TIME.

Would you want some buggy interface to record videos in and then the upload would maybe 1 out of 5 times upload the movie correctly? It's called Apple taking their time and working out all the bugs before they release something. You guys act like with a day of work on the iPhone you can add certain features.

All i hear is "wow this iPhone doesn't have copy and paste? wow the iPhone doesn't have flash".

How would you implement copy and paste in the iPhone in a matter that isn't a difficult task? It's not like you can just throw a button somewhere that is highlight, copy, and then paste button. With flash, if the iPhone can't handle such high processes at one time (like big safari pages and music in the backround) you really expect flash anytime soon?

You knew the iPhone didn't have it when you bought. Don't like that it doesn't have it? Don't buy it.

Stop hating on Apple.

igazza
Nov 13, 2007, 07:43 PM
if they put out software updates with video i bet the security update will come at the same time locking the unlocked phones :apple:

Digital Skunk
Nov 13, 2007, 08:02 PM
The only features I need on the iPhone right now are:
(1) Work on the Sprint or Verizon network... I am kicking Verizon right now.
(2) Allow me to connect my laptop to the iPhone so I can surf the web via a larger screen.

slinky0390
Nov 13, 2007, 08:35 PM

for some reason i found this really funny.. anyway.. lol, ive had the iphone for a month, and i can honestly say it is by far the best thing i have ever owned.. i mean, yeah, there are a few setbacks, but they arent enough to make me use a phone that isnt an iphone

mashinhead
Nov 13, 2007, 08:41 PM
"You wait, there will an exciting partnership with YouTube that adds video functionality and then lets you upload to the site in no time"

He forgot to mention that there's an exciting partnership with at&t that that will prevent it from uploading in no time. I really don't see a software upgrade fixing that problem.

extraextra
Nov 13, 2007, 08:43 PM
As far as video is concerned: I'm no technician, but is video functionality as "simple" as a software update? No hardware update required?

Yes. Blackberry is adding video capabilities to their Curve phone through a software update.

rstansby
Nov 13, 2007, 08:46 PM
You can always not configure it, you know. :)

My philosophy on gadgets/machines/life is to alway offer as many features and as much flexibility as possible, but make it easy for the user to opt out of using any of those features.

Apple has been very successful with a much different philosophy than yours. Look at the iPod. It is much more successful than other products with more features. This is because the iPod isn't crammed with unused features that make it harder to use the features people really want.

nickspohn
Nov 13, 2007, 08:49 PM
Apple has been very successful with a much different philosophy than yours. Look at the iPod. It is much more successful than other products with more features. This is because the iPod isn't crammed with unused features that make it harder to use the features people really want.

100% agree.

Now, if some of this was download-able like when the SDK comes out, it will be nice to pick what you want and don't want. I never use stocks on my iPhone (don't know if you'll be able to get rid of that though when the SDK comes out? don't see why not).

But like some people will use a IM client a lot. Others won't. Least we get to finally choose what we want.

rstansby
Nov 13, 2007, 08:51 PM
You guys act like Apple is trying to not put certain key features on the iPhone.

IT TAKES TIME.

Would you want some buggy interface to record videos in and then the upload would maybe 1 out of 5 times upload the movie correctly? It's called Apple taking their time and working out all the bugs before they release something. You guys act like with a day of work on the iPhone you can add certain features.

All i hear is "wow this iPhone doesn't have copy and paste? wow the iPhone doesn't have flash".

How would you implement copy and paste in the iPhone in a matter that isn't a difficult task? It's not like you can just throw a button somewhere that is highlight, copy, and then paste button. With flash, if the iPhone can't handle such high processes at one time (like big safari pages and music in the backround) you really expect flash anytime soon?

You knew the iPhone didn't have it when you bought. Don't like that it doesn't have it? Don't buy it.

Stop hating on Apple.

I agree, and the rules of ergonomics are defined by user expectations. Once users have become familiar with the new touch interface more gestures can be added (like one for copy and paste).

If you look at the early mac operating systems you will see that there weren't as many features as today (like control clicking). Users weren't ready for that many options.

deannnnn
Nov 13, 2007, 08:53 PM
if they give me Video Recording and Picture messaging in this iPhone. I would buy another iPhone, just to show how much I appreciated it cause those are 2 KEY features for me that those free phones do and my god damn $600 phone does. not. do :o

Sending multiple text messages would be cool too (when you gotta tell a few people the same thing, sucks typing it over and over) but again, if they give me video recording (let alone, uploading to YouTube) and picture messages (so I can finally cancel my Verizon phone) ill be soooo ever sooo ever sooo happy :cool:

You and me are on EXACTLY the same page....
I felt like I wrote that post for a second =)

cameronjpu
Nov 13, 2007, 09:50 PM
With a v2 iPhone releasing mid-AT&T contract, it is my hope that AT&T will allow current iPhone users to upgrade sans penalties (simply extend their contract another 2 years - if they must - and happily take their $400 for a new device). It really would be in both AT&T and Apple's best interests - or maybe just in mine. :p

ATT (nor any other cell provider) ever punishes you for that kind of upgrade. New phone, add to your new plan. You're not cancelling your contract to leave the company.

jotwee
Nov 13, 2007, 10:29 PM
maybe I did not get you right, but yahoo push mail works for me?!

what i am really missing is multiple sms recipients and mms sending (or even receiving)

copy and paste

video recording would also be nice

assign ringtones to groups

task manager

raindog1978
Nov 13, 2007, 10:46 PM
Glad to hear people are still wanting mms. I thought everyone had given up on this. Sure its great to email photos... But I miss getting random pictures from friends and family throughout the day. My wife is now in the habit of using my email address instead of my phone number but how to you get that point across to the rest of your contacts. An old friend who I haven't seen for a while sent me a photo to my phone (mms) but I could not log into AT&T to view it. Sure I could have called him, explained my situation, gave him my email, have him enter it on a phone keypad send it again and crossed my fingers that it comes through, but doesn't that take away the fun of it? Its like getting a postcard... It should be a pleasant suprise, not a chore.

That said... I'd love to have video function. Not sure I need the youtube aspect but capturing bits of video is a great feature. My daughters first steps were caught on my last phone. I don't carry my dv cam everywhere, but I'll always have my phone.

Love to see this happen.

Jshwon
Nov 13, 2007, 11:16 PM
While I look forward to see all of these features released by Apple I have to say that not having these yet has not made my experience any less wonderful with this phone. Everyone is upset that these things haven't been released yet but I think are glossing over the fact of how upgradable this device is. It may not be as quick as we would all like but how much time passes between WM releases? And we all know how little changes we've seen with those. Like the quote stated "they're not stupid", I think the best is yet to come. If they can sell millions of phones without said features imagine how many the will sell once they start to roll out. Its a great device for Apples first try and will only get better. Have paitence. There isn't a phone out there that has the potential to improve so dramatically with a simple software update. Not one.

Buran
Nov 13, 2007, 11:50 PM
Apple's spacing out of updates and leaving out important features like real IM, GPS, and 3G (for a future "spaced out" update?) have cost them at least one customer for the time being.

I have a brand-new AT&T Tilt. While I'm not really content with WM6, this thing can do a lot more than the iPhone can.

And I didn't lose my employer discount in the process, nor do I have to sign a new contract to do this.

Thanks for playing, Apple. Better luck next time.

John Musbach
Nov 14, 2007, 12:28 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Pocket-lint.co.uk reports (http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/11240/12264/apple-iphone-features-not-finished.phtml) that Apple has confirmed that "plenty more upgrades" are coming for the Apple iPhone.

Some even suggest that Apple is spacing out updates intentionally to provide gradually added functionality over months. One insider even claims that Apple is planning on adding video functionality with Youtube upload integration:

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/13/more-iphone-features-coming-video-recording-on-iphone/)

This sounds interesting, as what these updates include is revealed and the sdk is released I will be quite tempted to go out and finally buy a iPhone :)

ImNoSuperMan
Nov 14, 2007, 04:42 AM

Bootcamp for iPhone:D:D:D

NewMacGirl
Nov 14, 2007, 05:18 AM
Sorry can't get enthusiastic about direct upload of video to You Tube.

Kids seem to be particularly nasty with this stuff, putting up videos of themselves or groups beating people up or worse etc on You Tube. Then bragging about it.

If they can shoot video AND upload from the same phone then it will surly encourage more of this copy cat bullying and criminal behaviour

Technology can be used for good and evil but there is definetly a sinister side to all this.

You tube should have better controls on what they allow on.

Sorry to sound negative but in Australia there has been several rather nasty stories about this type of wretched video on youtube.

Anyway I would never take pictures let alone video on a phone as the quality is so bad. Somebody told me its not all about megapixels, its optics which count.

I would welcome more iphone itouch applications though. In fact make it 3G and bring it to Aus.

g-7
Nov 14, 2007, 05:47 AM
The best iPhone upgrade would be making it available in Poland.
How long one can wait?

sjo
Nov 14, 2007, 06:46 AM
ATT (nor any other cell provider) ever punishes you for that kind of upgrade. New phone, add to your new plan. You're not cancelling your contract to leave the company.

the thing is that no telco ever had to pay monthly fees to the mobile phone manufacturer. att has to pay estimated $18/month to apple. the other thing is that the future payments are already in apples financial statements as deferred revenues, ie, apple expects to collect them and the analysts are basing their valuation of apple on those numbers (ie, profit/iphone = 399+24*18-cost).

if they let you just add another year half way through the contract, the profit/iphone would drop by $216, so if there're 10m iphones sold at the point when this is announced, and half of the buyers upgrade their phones approximately halfway of their contract, that would indicate income of $1B less than the analysts were expecting, and of course they'd have to downgrade their future expectations as well.

it'll be interesting to see how they're going to handle this, maybe you need to add two additional years to your contract on upgrade, that wuold be one way to solve the problem.

timon
Nov 14, 2007, 07:14 AM
I really don't want to see ANY new features added to the phone UNTIL they add VOICE DIALING!. Voice dialing is a safety issue and safety issues should come FIRST!

cameronjpu
Nov 14, 2007, 07:53 AM
the thing is that no telco ever had to pay monthly fees to the mobile phone manufacturer. att has to pay estimated $18/month to apple. the other thing is that the future payments are already in apples financial statements as deferred revenues, ie, apple expects to collect them and the analysts are basing their valuation of apple on those numbers (ie, profit/iphone = 399+24*18-cost).

That's false. Carriers have and still do make payments to phone manufacturers just like Apple's. Apple's are higher than others, but RIMM and Palm and everyone else, they all get kickbacks. So while I agree with you that upgrading to a new phone changes the equation, there is no reason to think there will be any penalty.

Carniphage
Nov 14, 2007, 08:13 AM
I'm not sure if this has been pointed out, but Apple is accounting for the profits from the iPhone in a weird way.
Most phone companies take cash from their customers - and once they have it, there is no motivation to improve the device. Instead efforts are put into making newer devices to attract new customers. In fact, the law prevents major updates from occurring.

Apple is not recognizing the sales income from the iPhone in the first month. Instead it sees the cash from the sale being a monthly revenue stream which comes in 18 monthly payments. Apple is therefore able to legally continue to upgrade and add functionality to the phone.

Personally I'd like to see.
1) Overhauled email client - including IMAP push.
2) Dot mac integration. Wireless syncing of appointments etc.
3) Bluetooth for stuff other than headsets.
4) More widgets - like language translation
5) Cell location services - local news and traffic
6) File services - iDisk

C.

Trooperof3
Nov 14, 2007, 08:29 AM
i hope this happens SOON!. it will make me wait & get an Iphone instead of a Ipod Touch

Eriden
Nov 14, 2007, 09:38 AM

Actually, they probably ARE trying to not put certain key features on the iPhone. AT&T has a vested interest in wanting to keep IM software off the iPhone, since it would cut down on their SMS revenue stream. Part of their contract with Apple probably forbids Apple from allowing certain things on the iPhone.

Sure, Apple might eventually release iChat for the iPhone, but if they do, it will be as a paid download in the iTunes iPhone App Store that will probably be announced along with the 3rd Party Developer SDK next year.

One other thing you will NEVER see on the iPhone outside of a hacked, third party version is a VOIP client. Anything that makes AT&T take a hit is going to be kept off the iPhone by Apple.

Nov 14, 2007, 10:11 AM

First, I don't think it's certain that the features you cite are the most in-demand. I haven't seen any survey data to suggest that they are. That being said, people have been flocking to the iPhone for two reasons above all others... 1) Because it's an Apple product. 2) Because its interface is an unrivaled user experience in itself.

Never underestimate the power of the user experience... because if THAT doesn't work, it doesn't mastter if you have 30, 300 or 3000 features. They'll all suck if the user interface sucks.

Apple tends to release updated hardware/software as they gather more data from the market from their initial "feelers". It works like this... they put out a minimalist product with few but well designed features. They get feedback. They make revisions, additions, etc. based on that feedback, and gradually start introducing other models. This strategy has been so successful for them and is at the core of what made Apple come back from the brink of extinction.

So why don't they release more at once? There's a cardinal rule in business... never lead with your absolute best idea. If you do, how do you top it? People will only be disappointed from there on... and that's what leads to very short product lifetimes. In order for Apple to get the most out of five-six years of iPhone R&D, they're doing what they've done for ten years... making gradual innovations. Microsoft tries it the other way around and now that strategy is starting to hurt them... they put all their eggs in one basket. If that one basket fails to impress, they've got nothing else... and just wasted a decade worth of development only to find out at the end it's a bomb. That's just plain stupid.

Ok Apple, prove it. I have yet to see one major complaint addressed. Copy/paste, Flash, MMS, landscape keyboard in text and email, iChat... those are all major complaints and wants. Fix one of them and maybe I will believe that everything will be given to us over the next few months. I am happy with my phone as is and enjoy new features, but I'm not going to believe this until I see something major addressed.

These are not major complaints. A MAJOR complaint would be one of the incorporated features not working as promised. Of the features that are integrated at present, they're designed in a way that seriously raised the bar on usability... Visual Voicemail, the phone handset interface with the "flip"-able keypad and mute/hold/conferece/call-waiting interfaces... minus some minor implementation complaints that require very small refinements to address, iPhone is by and large brilliantly designed.

I really don't want to see ANY new features added to the phone UNTIL they add VOICE DIALING!. Voice dialing is a safety issue and safety issues should come FIRST!

MAYBE people CONCERNED with VOICE DIALING shouldn't SPEND all their time IN THE CAR on A cell PHONE because STUDIES SHOW that EVEN using HANDSFREE puts a DRIVER at SEVERAL TIMES more RISK for getting into AN ACCIDENT because your MENTAL FOCUS is DIVERTED! Oh AND by the WAY, did you EVER notice HOW DISTRACTING and ANNOYING it is WHEN PEOPLE decide to EMPHASIZE WORDS all the time in CAPS as IF we'RE TOO STUPID to UNDERSTAND your MAGNITUDE OF CONCERN in a given SUBJECT MATTER?

sjo
Nov 14, 2007, 10:50 AM
That's false. Carriers have and still do make payments to phone manufacturers just like Apple's. Apple's are higher than others, but RIMM and Palm and everyone else, they all get kickbacks. So while I agree with you that upgrading to a new phone changes the equation, there is no reason to think there will be any penalty.

it is not false, they do not get monthly payments after the sale. once they sell the device to the operator, they recognize most of the sale price as their income. apple recognices most of the income as deferred income.

if you don't believe me, take a look at apple's latest financials. it's all there. you can compare those to RIMM's and Palm's financials to see the difference.

also note that the $1B is pure profit and apple's earnings multiple currently at 45. so losing $1B/year in profit would translate into $45B in apple's market cap. no penalty, you say?

iliketomac
Nov 14, 2007, 11:12 AM
Bottom line is: Apple wants your money! That's the goal at the end of the day... It's all about profits & growth! :rolleyes: I know I have given them a large share of my $$$ over the years...

On that note, you don't have to be a genius (no pun intended) to see what Apple did to the evolution of the iPod... look where it was when it first came out, then a few years ago, and then to the current lineup. Same thing goes for the iPhone - Apple won't roll-out with all the bells & whistles attached! They'll do it slowly over time (a few killer apps at a time) because it's all about :apple: MONEY!!!

benfilan
Nov 14, 2007, 12:21 PM
cool! sounds great. i'm still praying for horizontal SMS keyboard. PLEASEEEEEEE!:cool:

thegman1234
Nov 14, 2007, 12:34 PM
......is that really only a software update though?...

Should only be a software update being as a still digital camera takes stills of video. Basically, the camera streams whatever it sees, but only takes still clips. A software update would allow it to record continuous frames of the stream.

chr1s60
Nov 14, 2007, 01:04 PM
These are not major complaints. A MAJOR complaint would be one of the incorporated features not working as promised. Of the features that are integrated at present, they're designed in a way that seriously raised the bar on usability... Visual Voicemail, the phone handset interface with the "flip"-able keypad and mute/hold/conferece/call-waiting interfaces... minus some minor implementation complaints that require very small refinements to address, iPhone is by and large brilliantly designed.

I completely disagree with you. A MAJOR complaint does not need to be about something wrong with existing features on the phone. A major complaint can be about a simple feature that many phones have that is missing from iPhone, such as MMS. Look around the many forums on the web and you will see that people continue to complain about lack of MMS, copy/paste and flash. I would say those are major complaints if such a large number of customers continue to want those features supported.

HowEver
Nov 14, 2007, 01:10 PM
I completely disagree with you. A MAJOR complaint does not need to be about something wrong with existing features on the phone. A major complaint can be about a simple feature that many phones have that is missing from iPhone, such as MMS. Look around the many forums on the web and you will see that people continue to complain about lack of MMS, copy/paste and flash. I would say those are major complaints if such a large number of customers continue to want those features supported.

I agree, a major complaint certainly involves something simple like those features, plus video recording, plus forwarding SMS to many recipients. If basic cell phones had these features years ago, something is majorly wrong here, as good as all the rest of the features may be.

cameronjpu
Nov 14, 2007, 02:02 PM
it is not false, they do not get monthly payments after the sale. once they sell the device to the operator, they recognize most of the sale price as their income. apple recognices most of the income as deferred income.

if you don't believe me, take a look at apple's latest financials. it's all there. you can compare those to RIMM's and Palm's financials to see the difference.

also note that the $1B is pure profit and apple's earnings multiple currently at 45. so losing $1B/year in profit would translate into $45B in apple's market cap. no penalty, you say?

I've looked at the financials - I'm invested in these companies. Even the public reports in the past couple months have compared how large Apple's monthly receipts are compared to the other companies'

JonasLondon
Nov 14, 2007, 05:54 PM
one happy UK iPhone user here. Just this little exercise would have been a pain on the Nokia E61 I had. Lovely device and just works with Wifi like a dream. Edge faster than I thought, for my use it is brilliant. And the photo slideshows look gorgeous..... Who needs MMS? Email a picture instead and be sure people can actually receive and use it. This thing is soo coool! Happy happy! :-)

JonasLondon
Nov 14, 2007, 05:58 PM
cool! sounds great. i'm still praying for horizontal SMS keyboard. PLEASEEEEEEE!:cool:

but honestly typing in vertical isn't a big deal. Just did both, LOL.

JonasLondon
Nov 14, 2007, 06:08 PM
First, I don't think it's certain that the features you cite are the most in-demand. I haven't seen any survey data to suggest that they are. That being said, people have been flocking to the iPhone for two reasons above all others... 1) Because it's an Apple product. 2) Because its interface is an unrivaled user experience in itself.

Never underestimate the power of the user experience... because if THAT doesn't work, it doesn't mastter if you have 30, 300 or 3000 features. They'll all suck if the user interface sucks.

Apple tends to release updated hardware/software as they gather more data from the market from their initial "feelers". It works like this... they put out a minimalist product with few but well designed features. They get feedback. They make revisions, additions, etc. based on that feedback, and gradually start introducing other models. This strategy has been so successful for them and is at the core of what made Apple come back from the brink of extinction.

So why don't they release more at once? There's a cardinal rule in business... never lead with your absolute best idea. If you do, how do you top it? People will only be disappointed from there on... and that's what leads to very short product lifetimes. In order for Apple to get the most out of five-six years of iPhone R&D, they're doing what they've done for ten years... making gradual innovations. Microsoft tries it the other way around and now that strategy is starting to hurt them... they put all their eggs in one basket. If that one basket fails to impress, they've got nothing else... and just wasted a decade worth of development only to find out at the end it's a bomb. That's just plain stupid.

MAYBE people CONCERNED with VOICE DIALING shouldn't SPEND all their time IN THE CAR on A cell PHONE because STUDIES SHOW that EVEN using HANDSFREE puts a DRIVER at SEVERAL TIMES more RISK for getting into AN ACCIDENT because your MENTAL FOCUS is DIVERTED! Oh AND by the WAY, did you EVER notice HOW DISTRACTING and ANNOYING it is WHEN PEOPLE decide to EMPHASIZE WORDS all the time in CAPS as IF we'RE TOO STUPID to UNDERSTAND your MAGNITUDE OF CONCERN in a given SUBJECT MATTER?

ROFL!!! Best post on the forums today!!

jcammo123
Nov 15, 2007, 10:55 AM
It's great that Apple is planning updates. It would be much better if they just released the "normal" updates now (ie things other people already have). It was quite annoying to be at a concert where everyone is using their phones to take video and I can't. That's just silly. So get the features out the door that are pretty "everyday" and space out the super awesome amazing ones that no one else has. Please.

i could not have said it any better myself.

:: shakes his hand ::

DiamondMac
Nov 15, 2007, 11:05 AM
iChat soon, please.

Agreed. Get that out NOW

Quit waiting on some of the features. Others I can understand waiting

transitman
Nov 15, 2007, 11:59 AM
I know in the past that Apple has had some Black Friday deals on their website. I am going to purchase and iPhone very soon. Does anyone think this may go on sale on Black Friday?

HowEver
Nov 15, 2007, 01:26 PM
You would think that voice dialing would come before most other special features.

lduncan
Dec 12, 2007, 07:11 PM
Someone isn't waiting for Apple to come to the party:

http://www.monsterandfriends.com/?q=node/50

He's already got a basic video recording application working on the iPhone capturing at 2MP resolution.

Peace
Dec 12, 2007, 11:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I just love my iPhone.Got it day one and it's been a great tool since.Rev 2 will make people stand in the rain for 3 hours again .