PDA

View Full Version : Free Custom Ringtones in iTunes 7.5 and iPhone 1.1.2

MacRumors
Nov 13, 2007, 02:43 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Several users have noted that custom ringtone workarounds have started working again the latest version of iTunes and iPhone firmware 1.1.2. The most detailed descriptions were provided by:

overminer for Windows XP (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4487226&postcount=136)
1. Choose your music or sound (mp3)
2. Use audacity to cut the song to 40 seconds or less
3. Drag the song to itunes
4. Right click on the song in itunes and convert to AAC
5. Find the .mpa song in folder My DocumentsMy MusiciTunesiTunes Music
6. Make sure you have a folder My DocumentsMy MusiciTunesiTunes MusicRingtones (if not create the folder)
7. Rename the .mpa song to .mpr (you may want to change your computer settings to show hidden extensions)
8. Double click on the renamed song.
9. The new ringtone should now appear in the ringtones list in itunes. Select it for syncing
10. Sync the iphone.
11. Go to SettingsSoundRingtone on the iPhone. There is a new grouping called Custom. Your new ringtone should be there.

and jkwuc89 for Mac OS X 10.5 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4488086&postcount=16):
Select the song in iTunes that I want to use as a ringtone. Protected AAC files will not work.
Right-click on the song and select Get Info
Go to the Options page and select the start and end times for the ringtone
Right-click on the song again and select Convert Selection to AAC
Right-click on the converted song and select Show in Finder
Drag the .m4a file from the Finder window to your desktop
Go back to iTunes and delete the converted song from iTunes. When I skipped this step, double clicking on the .m4r file to import the ringtone into iTunes did not work properly.
Right-click on the song file on your desktop, select Get Info and change the file extension from .m4a to m4r. You should get a warning message about changing the extension.
Open a Finder window and locate the Ringtones folder underneath your iTunes folder. The path should be /Users//Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Ringtones. If this folder does not exist, create it.
Drag the renamed song file from your desktop to the Ringtones folder in Finder.
Double-click on the .m4r file now stored inside the Ringtones folder. iTunes should change to the Ringtones folder under Library near the top and start playing the ringtone
Plug-in your iPhone to begin the sync process. This should copy the ringtone over to your iPhone. You can verify this after the sync is complete by expanding the iPhone contents inside iTunes and then, selecting the Ringtones folder.

Now, after doing the sync step above, I still did not have a Custom category under Settings | Sounds | Ringtone on my iPhone. I suspect that "something" must be done to get this to appear (like purchasing and syncing a ringtone for instance). So, to work around this, I downloaded, installed and ran the trial version of iToner. After doing one sync from within iToner, the Custom category showed up on my iPhone.

We don't know if Apple will take this method away again in the future. In the meanwhile, iPhoneRingToneMaker (Windows) (http://www.efksoft.com/products/iphoneringtonemaker/index.htm) and iToner (Mac) (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/) continue to function with the latest updates.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/11/13/free-custom-ringtones-in-itunes-7-5-and-iphone-1-1-2/)

greatestash
Nov 13, 2007, 02:59 PM
Several users have noted that custom ringtone workarounds have started working again the latest version of iTunes and iPhone firmware 1.1.2. The most detailed descriptions were provided by:

overminer for Windows XP (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4487226&postcount=136)

and jkwuc89 for Mac OS X 10.5 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4488086&postcount=16):

I tried that yesterday; its working like a charm. oh for your info, i have iMac 10.5 with itune 7.5 and iphone version 1.1.2.

ortuno2k
Nov 13, 2007, 04:30 PM
I did it in OS X slightly different.

Dragged the song I wanted to convert from my iTunes library to the desktop.
Opened GarageBand and imported the song.
Edited the song to be about 26 seconds long and the part I wanted.
Imported to iTunes using the built-in feature to import to iTunes.
Dragged back out to my desktop, rename from aac to m4r.
Imported back to iTunes, and it showed up in my Ringtones folder.
Sync'd iPhone and worked like a charm. I've only tried it with 1 song, but I imagine that this would work with any other drm-free song.

Manatee
Nov 13, 2007, 04:34 PM
That's good news. :) I want to make some ringtones that sound like a traditional ringing phone, but different from the ones supplied with the iPhone -- so my ring can stand out from others.

One trivial thing that really annoys me in a business setting is phone rings that sound like music. It just messes with the required mindset for getting my work done. At a bar or a stadium, those rings don't bother me a bit -- I even look forward to catching a clever one.

baseballman1243
Nov 13, 2007, 05:41 PM
I am using windows and the extension is .m4a not .mpa does anyone know why?

rstansby
Nov 13, 2007, 07:52 PM
I did it in OS X slightly different.

Dragged the song I wanted to convert from my iTunes library to the desktop.
Opened GarageBand and imported the song.
Edited the song to be about 26 seconds long and the part I wanted.
Imported to iTunes using the built-in feature to import to iTunes.
Dragged back out to my desktop, rename from aac to m4r.
Imported back to iTunes, and it showed up in my Ringtones folder.
Sync'd iPhone and worked like a charm. I've only tried it with 1 song, but I imagine that this would work with any other drm-free song.

That works for me.

mikes63737
Nov 13, 2007, 08:06 PM
I noticed that it can't be 30 seconds. It has to be less than 29 or it won't work for me. This is weird considering the ones I bought are 31 each...

RosieO
Nov 13, 2007, 08:20 PM
I noticed that it can't be 30 seconds. It has to be less than 29 or it won't work for me. This is weird considering the ones I bought are 31 each...

I just made 2, one is 39 seconds and the other is 40 seconds and they work perfectly on my iPhone.

juststranded
Nov 14, 2007, 12:45 AM
I made an Automator action that does this automatically, but I don't know how to share it with everyone. Can someone help me get this out to people?

Here are the steps you have to take:
1. Set the start and end times in iTunes for the songs you want.
2. Select them.
3. Go to desktop and run script.
4. Select the songs on the desktop and click continue.
5. (Be sure the Ringtones folder is selected in the prompt, and) click continue. (I don't think I can have it make and select the Ringtones folder for you because your paths might be different depending on what your "Home" name is and whatnot. You'll have to set it personally in order to skip this last step)

P.S. I don't have an iPhone so I can't test, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

SFC Archer
Nov 14, 2007, 09:03 AM

Baseballman...the extension IS .m4a...NOT .mpa...You will be converting your ringtone from .m4a to .m4r

The original instructions are wrong on the extension.

Hope this helps...Good Luck!

waste46
Nov 14, 2007, 12:23 PM
there are alot of unnesssaccery steps here. Teh onl;y program needed is itunes.

1. Select song you want, edit start stop tiome to your liking, as mentioned above.
2. make sure you import file format is aac
3. convert selection to acc (by right clicking oir a cnrtl-click)

and thas it, steps are the same for windows and mac users, its accesible for itunes users, which should be all iphone owners.

aonflux
Nov 14, 2007, 01:38 PM
when i used this method to create ringtones a few months ago, it worked fine. however when i tried to delete the ringtone it would still show up in itunes even though the file was not on my computer anymore. does this problem still exist? Thanks.

jami7103
Nov 14, 2007, 04:45 PM
I did everything listed, the ringtone is in Itunes in my ringtones folder. But when I synced I can't find it on my phone. There is nothing that says custom. I checked the ringtone before I synced and I didn't get an error message. It's just nowhere to be found on my phone.

sacsig
Nov 14, 2007, 06:37 PM
works for me!!!!!!

The weird thing was that when I synced my phone it said the file could not be copied to the phone, but it did anyway!

iSaint
Nov 14, 2007, 07:12 PM
Here's my method using iTunes 7.5, Leopard, iPhone 1.1.2

1. Select the song you want to make a ringtone out of
2. Select Get Info, Under the Options tab, select the thirty second portion of the song you want to be your ringtone. i.e. 0:00 to 0:30 Click OK
3. Under iTunes preferences, under Advanced, make sure your importing method is AAC Encoder.
4. Select Advanced on the toolbar, then Convert Selection to AAC. It should only take a few seconds, and the result will be a duplicate file of said song, only it's thirty seconds in length.
5. Drag this new file to your desktop. Select Get Info (Apple + I) and change the file extension to m4r
6. Drag the file to your Ringtones folder under iTunes Music. For convenience, I placed a shortcut to this folder in the sidebar of the Finder.
7. Double click the file from that location. It should start playing, and appear in your Ringtones portion of the iTunes sidebar. It will also appear in the Ringtones tab of your iPhone device. Sync, and it's there!

This is fun! I hope they don't change it again soon.

baseballman1243
Nov 15, 2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks SFC it worked.

Jade Cambell
Nov 15, 2007, 10:11 PM
I know that most of us are geeks here, but if some innocent consumer wandered in here and wanted to create free ringtones for their iPhone, those instructions would not help them.

The instructions, as I would state them for an average user:

1. Drag the song onto your desktop.
2. Open it in quicktime.
3. Cut it down to 30 seconds or less.
4. Change it's file extension name to .m4r.
5. Drag back into iTunes, and put it in "ringtones."
6. Sync to your iPhone.

iSaint
Nov 16, 2007, 09:39 PM
I know that most of us are geeks here, but if some innocent consumer wandered in here and wanted to create free ringtones for their iPhone, those instructions would not help them.

Ohhh, I'm not so sure. I'm pretty much an innocent consumer who knows just enough to get in trouble! :)

danor
Nov 18, 2007, 03:47 PM
Re:
Custom ringtones do work with 1.1.2 without hacks on a Windows XP system. Here are the steps.

1. Choose your music or sound (mp3)
2. Use audacity to cut the song to 40 seconds or less
3. Drag the song to itunes
4. Right click on the song in itunes and convert to AAC
5. Find the .m4a song in folder \My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music
6. Make sure you have a folder \My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Ringtones (if not create the folder)
7. Rename the .m4a song to .m4r (you may want to change your computer settings to show hidden extensions)
8. Double click on the renamed song.
9. The new ringtone should now appear in the ringtones list in itunes. Select it for syncing
10. Sync the iphone.
11. Go to Settings\Sound\Ringtone on the iPhone. There is a new grouping called Custom. Your new ringtone should be there.

That was easy. Ringtones seem to be snappier...When you say 'rename' how is it that you can rename the extension
or are you just renaming the title?
ie - "song" (it's extension is .m4a)
to "song.m4r" (it's extension is still .m4a) ?

I am using U.S. iPhone version 1.1.2 with itunes version 7.5.0.20

cgonz61070
Nov 18, 2007, 03:53 PM
I'm still using version 1.0.2 on my iphone since i'm not in the US and upgrading it will cause blocking... and I have the new 7.5 version of itunes... I guess this combination will not work for customizing ringtones? I'm having the same trouble of: getting the ring on the "ringtones library" of itunes, but not recognized in the "ringtones tab" of the iphone area... and after trying to sync, the error message "... song cannot be played on this iphone" appears... Is there a solution? Or I just gonna have to update the phone? Thanks.

wfuggle
Nov 18, 2007, 04:38 PM
I did everything listed, the ringtone is in Itunes in my ringtones folder. But when I synced I can't find it on my phone. There is nothing that says custom. I checked the ringtone before I synced and I didn't get an error message. It's just nowhere to be found on my phone.

In case you haven't worked this out yet: you need to restart your phone by switching it fully off then reboot. Custom will then appear without need to try other progs etc.

iSaint
Nov 18, 2007, 04:44 PM
Re:
When you say 'rename' how is it that you can rename the extension
or are you just renaming the title?
ie - "song" (it's extension is .m4a)
to "song.m4r" (it's extension is still .m4a) ?

I am using U.S. iPhone version 1.1.2 with itunes version 7.5.0.20

Change the extension to m4r

You can do this through Get Information ( Apple + i ) or, in Finder, click once on the name and it will become editable.

It will be song.m4r

danor
Nov 18, 2007, 05:06 PM
Change the extension to m4r

You can do this through Get Information ( Apple + i ) or, in Finder, click once on the name and it will become editable.

It will be song.m4rThanks Saint but I am using XP.
Do you know how I can do it there?

overminer
Nov 19, 2007, 02:21 PM
to rename a file in windows:

Open Windows explorer
Find the file you need to rename
Right click the file
Type the new name of the file including the extension ".m4r"

If you can't see the extention in windows explorer go to Tools/folder options/advance and enable show file extension.

William Gates
Nov 20, 2007, 01:47 PM
When I Import a song it slows it way down. a five minute song is stretched to 20 minutes. HOw do i speed it up?

ayyitssdaveee
Nov 21, 2007, 03:26 AM
As my first post and a new iPhone user, I wanna say that this worked perfectly and thanks for posting it up! I'm looking forward to learning more about this phone.

My only question about this is, Once you have the ringtone on the iPhone, can you delete the fragmented songs from your music library? Will that delete it from the Ringtones category? It just seems odd to have two 30 second fragments under the comlplete song in your library. All help is appreciated.

--Dave

Resevdog
Nov 21, 2007, 02:54 PM
I've followed the instructions precisely. My ringtone appeared in itunes under the ringtones menu and plays through iTunes. It syncs to my iphone and shows up under ringtones in settings in the "custom" section. I select it and...nothing. If someone calls, the phone just vibrates. All the stock ringtones still work no problem. It plays in itunes but not on the phone....what's going on here? I've seen others with this problem, but no solutions. Any ideas? And yes, I'm using windows.

dannyar
Nov 22, 2007, 08:40 PM
buy your ringtones and u wont have to worry about a program that works.

ayyitssdaveee
Nov 22, 2007, 10:55 PM
I answered my own question by the way... I just gave it a shot and deleted it from the library and it is still in the ringtones category and on the phone. Just letting anyone know who might have had the same question :)

bushman1
Nov 23, 2007, 12:09 AM
do you need a hacked 1.1.1 to do an ok to upgrade or just stock 1.1.2? just need to know to save some time.

jfmiii
Nov 24, 2007, 10:41 AM
ive got the file converted to .m4r and when i right click the file in Explorer, it shows as file type 'Ringtone.' I cant get it into the Ringtones library in iTunes though. anyone have any ideas on how i can get it to work?? thanks!

iSaint
Nov 24, 2007, 02:26 PM
ive got the file converted to .m4r and when i right click the file in Explorer, it shows as file type 'Ringtone.' I cant get it into the Ringtones library in iTunes though. anyone have any ideas on how i can get it to work?? thanks!

Did you try double-clicking on the file?

You may have to manually move it to the Ringtones folder under iTunes Music. That is, if iTunes for Windows is set up the same as it is for OS X.

newwavedave
Nov 24, 2007, 07:16 PM

Make sure you delete the .m4a file from iTunes if it is in there. You can't have 2 songs with same title. Also make sure you have the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding..." function checked in the Preferences>Advanced. If not it wont copy your file into the ringtones folder.

Things are working great for me. I have personalized ringtones for all my friends now and thankfully I didn't have to re-buy all those songs that I already own just to get a ringtone. I'm happy until Apple decides to shut it off again...

riffat
Nov 28, 2007, 06:26 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

We don't know if Apple will take this method away again in the future. In the meanwhile, iPhoneRingToneMaker (Windows) (http://www.efksoft.com/products/iphoneringtonemaker/index.htm) and iToner (Mac) (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/) continue to function with the latest updates.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/11/13/free-custom-ringtones-in-itunes-7-5-and-iphone-1-1-2/)

YOu are a Genious!! now tell me.. i have IPHONE in outside USA and i can only use it if i unlock it.. i got it unlocked .. now what all do i have do so it doesnt get locked again?? and can i use the "installer" that i have on the phone? to add games and stuff?? or not?

budman2345
Nov 28, 2007, 12:10 PM
Hey guys! Newbie here in the forums....just a quick question.....I've followed the instructions and have made 2 ringtones....successfully....now when I try to sync both to my phone it only copies one of them twice. I have 2 copies the same ringtone in my custom folder. If I just select one or the other they are there but if I try to sync both, it just has 2 copies of the same song. Any help would be awesome!!! Thanks!

riffat
Nov 29, 2007, 01:34 AM

same here, i did everything but when i tried to lync it with iphone i kept getting an error saying that those ringtones were not copied on to the iphone because they cant be played in the Iphone....

what do i do??

what am i doing wrong?

MorzillA
Dec 12, 2007, 12:02 PM
Ok! A) I have been not posted anything for a long time...sorry for that. B) following the XP instructions without using AUDACITY I have been able to create a ringtone for a friend of mine!

Here it is, hope it works for all of you who use Xp....btw, Xp users, you need to redeem your souls and get a Mac!!

1) create a new folder in your iTUNES folder under
\my documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music name this new folder ringtones.

2) Now choose ANY song (MP3) from your PC or just incert a cd into your computer.

3) open iTUNES, now select the song that you want as a ringtone.

4) Right click on that song, and select get info. On that new menu click on options

5) In the middle of the options window you will notice the start time and the stop time.
In these two boxes you will put the time you want your ringtone to start at and the stop time i.e. 2:25.45 start 2:30.45 end. For this I recomend the following, (this is rather old school by some standards :))

-First you will need a pen, pencil, lipgloss, eyeliner, blood, anything that writes and paper....yes any kind of paper even Toilet paper!!

-Listen to the song from start to finish in iTUNES or Quicktime what ever gets you off! PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to the time that appears at the end of the progress bar on your player!

-As you come to the point of the song that you want as a ringtone write down the the starting time and ending time i.e. 2:25.45-2:30.45

6) Write down the starting and ending time on such said windows start time, stop time

7) Press the OK button.

8) Right click on the song again and this time you will convert it to ACC

-IF you see Convert Seletction to MP3 then you are going to have to change this so that it will look like this Convert Seletction to ACC

A) Under EDIT on the menu bar of iTUNES look for preferences Ctr +, click on it and look for the Advance tab

B) Once in there you will see three sub tabs general, importing, burning. We will click on importing

C) under Import using: [___________][v] you will select ACC Encoder, click the OK button.

9)OK now we are going to convert our lil pre-ringtone into a ACC song by doing step number 8).

10) After the song has been converted it will appear above the original song with the new time i.e. 0:05

11)Click, hold and drag the song from iTUNES onto your ringtones folder that you created \my documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\rigntones. You will then notice that the format of the song is not MP3 nor ACC but m4a.

12)Here we will right click on the song and rename it. Let's say the song is from ohhhh I dunno, Watermelon Nights by John Crave it will look like this Watermelon Nights.m4a on your folder we will rename the format/extesnion from .m4a to .m4r yep that's all, change the A to an R.

-Notice the icon changed :)

13) Double click on the song and it will automatically appear in iTUNES under the ringtone section!! YAY!!!

14) Sync your iPHONE to your PC(Xp) and transfer the new ringtone.

And there you have it! Yes, yes, yes "it's too long man!!!" i know but if I gave you a rather short version you would have bricked your iPHONE and tried to commit suicide, and who wants to walk in and see you "hanging around" rather dull, dontya think?!

Good luck and remember, it's not too late to redeem your souls! get a MAC.....like NOW!!!

:apple:

MorzillA
Dec 14, 2007, 09:52 AM
Never Mind!!!

Cleverboy
Dec 14, 2007, 12:29 PM
iPhone Ringtones, the More things Change...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=351495

There and Back Again
It's so easy not to try,
See the world go drifting by.
You don't have to say hello...
If you never say goodbye.

If its in Garageband now... I'd say the "battle" is OVER.
I do like how custom ringtones appear in their own area now though.

~ CB

MorzillA
Dec 16, 2007, 04:41 PM
iPhone Ringtones, the More things Change...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=351495

There and Back Again
It's so easy not to try,
See the world go drifting by.
You don't have to say hello...
If you never say goodbye.

If its in Garageband now... I'd say the "battle" is OVER.
I do like how custom ringtones appear in their own area now though.

~ CB

.................!? wait are you saying that there is a possibility for customizing ringtones in Garageband :eek:!?

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention was the hidden files part, by now you should all have figured it out, If it wasn't for my friend txting my over the weekend i would have never remembered that I left that out in my instructions!! Sorry guys :(

SFC Archer
Dec 17, 2007, 01:38 PM

same here, i did everything but when i tried to lync it with iphone i kept getting an error saying that those ringtones were not copied on to the iphone because they cant be played in the Iphone....

what do i do??

what am i doing wrong?

For both of you...I would check the length of your clips. If you are using Audacity and in some other programs you may have to clip it to 28 sec or less for it to do the trasfer after conversion. With GB this is not an issue for 40 secs or less. Only using windows and one of the above has this problem been noted...so again...shorten your tone and try to drag and drop into the iTunes Ringtone Folder. It should work.

Good Luck

wineshop
Dec 19, 2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks. Worked like a champ. Now before I sync - maybe this is a dumb question - this won't brick my iPhone if I ever update (whenever 1.1.3 comes out)?

Thanks. I'm new to this site, but I'm really liking it!

Dakotafan
Dec 22, 2007, 12:40 PM
Ok! A) I have been not posted anything for a long time...sorry for that. B) following the XP instructions without using AUDACITY I have been able to create a ringtone for a friend of mine!

Here it is, hope it works for all of you who use Xp....btw, Xp users, you need to redeem your souls and get a Mac!!

2) Now choose ANY song (MP3) from your PC or just incert a cd into your computer.

4) Right click on that song, and select get info. On that new menu click on options

5) In the middle of the options window you will notice the start time and the stop time.
In these two boxes you will put the time you want your ringtone to start at and the stop time i.e. 2:25.45 start 2:30.45 end. For this I recomend the following, (this is rather old school by some standards :))

-First you will need a pen, pencil, lipgloss, eyeliner, blood, anything that writes and paper....yes any kind of paper even Toilet paper!!

-Listen to the song from start to finish in iTUNES or Quicktime what ever gets you off! PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to the time that appears at the end of the progress bar on your player!

-As you come to the point of the song that you want as a ringtone write down the the starting time and ending time i.e. 2:25.45-2:30.45

6) Write down the starting and ending time on such said windows start time, stop time

7) Press the OK button.

-IF you see Convert Seletction to MP3 then you are going to have to change this so that it will look like this Convert Seletction to ACC

A) Under EDIT on the menu bar of iTUNES look for preferences Ctr +, click on it and look for the Advance tab

B) Once in there you will see three sub tabs general, importing, burning. We will click on importing

C) under Import using: [___________][v] you will select ACC Encoder, click the OK button.

9)OK now we are going to convert our lil pre-ringtone into a ACC song by doing step number 8).

10) After the song has been converted it will appear above the original song with the new time i.e. 0:05

11)Click, hold and drag the song from iTUNES onto your ringtones folder that you created \my documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\rigntones. You will then notice that the format of the song is not MP3 nor ACC but m4a.

12)Here we will right click on the song and rename it. Let's say the song is from ohhhh I dunno, Watermelon Nights by John Crave it will look like this Watermelon Nights.m4a on your folder we will rename the format/extesnion from .m4a to .m4r yep that's all, change the A to an R.

13) Double click on the song and it will automatically appear in iTUNES under the ringtone section!! YAY!!!

And there you have it! Yes, yes, yes "it's too long man!!!" i know but if I gave you a rather short version you would have bricked your iPHONE and tried to commit suicide, and who wants to walk in and see you "hanging around" rather dull, dontya think?!

Good luck and remember, it's not too late to redeem your souls! get a MAC.....like NOW!!!

worked perfectly - thanks!

Jamie814b
Dec 25, 2007, 04:10 PM
hi, i have a quick question about the custom ring tones. I followed the exact instructions, even got the ring tone that is 30 seconds onto my phone and it says custom ring tones. The ring tone is even selected as default ring tone, but whenever i recieve a call it goes back to the stock ring tone, even though the one i selected says it's default on my phone. Has anyone had this problem? I am using firmware 1.1.2 and using firmware 7.5.020.

Kenny Wuuu
Dec 26, 2007, 03:35 PM

7) Press the OK button.

Thanks I followed these instructions and the song is 26 seconds long and it is in the ringtones section in itunes. I can select it and send it to the iphone but it doesnt show up anywhere on my iphone. I have windows xp, itunes 7.5.0.20 and iphone 1.1.2. I have a purchased ringtone and I know where to look. Could someone please help me. Thanks!

pbkiller
Dec 26, 2007, 11:04 PM
I've looked everywhere else in the forum, and i cant find info about it, so here it goes:

I have found on the net the ringtone for the iphone ad (perfect timing), has anyone found the ringtone for the Hello im a mac vs pc ad? its really funny so i was wondering if anyone had that ringtone....

Let me know guys

Rob

clueles710
Dec 27, 2007, 12:18 AM
I have done everything you said...step by step...and its not working!:confused:

I'm pretty good with comps too so its bothering me...and suggestions?? anything that you think that I am missing?? i made every preference that you guys said...

i get it to appear as a ringtone, (m4r) but it wont open in itunes...it wont even play... :mad:

please hellllppppp!! thank you!!

ohhhh PS..i have windows xp

Dakotafan
Dec 27, 2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks I followed these instructions and the song is 26 seconds long and it is in the ringtones section in itunes. I can select it and send it to the iphone but it doesnt show up anywhere on my iphone. I have windows xp, itunes 7.5.0.20 and iphone 1.1.2. I have a purchased ringtone and I know where to look. Could someone please help me. Thanks!

on iPhone

settings-> sounds-> select ringtone

also make sure you since afterwards.

Kenny Wuuu
Dec 27, 2007, 02:46 PM
Sorry about the mixed message Dakotafan. I know where to look on the iPhone. It just doesn't show up on my iPhone. Trust me I've looked everywhere. The ringtone plays in iTunes and it looks the same as my 3 other purchased ringtones. I didn't have any errors when I connected my iPhone.

cjjones
Dec 28, 2007, 04:26 PM
Ok Guyz, neebie here, Ive just been trawling through these forum topics and having tried the rename to m4r got the file into the ringtones folder in iTunes.
However no amount of re-syncing, re-setting, closing iTunes etc would cause the "custom" field appear in my phone.

As it it happens I returned my iPhone to the O2 store and got an exchange for an unrelated issue. When I re-activated, restored and re-synced lo and behold, the custom feild with my new ringtone appeared at the top of the list in "sounds - Ringtone".

I can only summise that either there were other problems with my iPone or that performing an "erase all content and settings" then restore backup etc would fix the problem.

Just a thought!

Anyway thanks for all the posts that helped me get this sorted, and for saving me the cost of buying a macbook and iLife 08.

Ps. anyone heard anything about a new ultra slim Macbook?

simon.robin
Dec 29, 2007, 04:17 PM
Hi I am still new to the iphone ( christmas pressie off the missus).
Have been playing around with ringtones on a PC. I have been using 'wavepad' to open and edit my MP3 music. save song and dump it into Itunes, Convert to AAC, and delete the original. right click on file and open in explorer, change extension to .m4r.
Double click icon and ringtone appears in ringtones folder. I have been varying the size of ringtones and anything over 40 seconds does not sync to phone. I have not had any probs with not been able to find them once they are synced.:)

Aries326
Dec 29, 2007, 08:02 PM
Hi I am still new to the iphone ( christmas pressie off the missus).
Have been playing around with ringtones on a PC. I have been using 'wavepad' to open and edit my MP3 music. save song and dump it into Itunes, Convert to AAC, and delete the original. right click on file and open in explorer, change extension to .m4r.
Double click icon and ringtone appears in ringtones folder. I have been varying the size of ringtones and anything over 40 seconds does not sync to phone. I have not had any probs with not been able to find them once they are synced.:)

Nice tutorial! Worked like a charm! I used all the ringtones I made for my L7 using Motorola Phonetools as the editor.

mmorfin4661
Dec 31, 2007, 06:00 PM
i did all of it it appears on my ringtones folder on itunes but when i sync it doesnt appear on my iphone sounds

westernmass
Jan 5, 2008, 09:29 AM
I am just to thick.... Got Audacity made the song 30 second. Added to Itunes as Mp3 now can not for some reason figure out how to convert to ACC. I right click and that is not an option. AM I MISSING SOMETHING:confused::confused::confused:

Mike Teezie
Jan 5, 2008, 10:44 AM
I am just to thick.... Got Audacity made the song 30 second. Added to Itunes as Mp3 now can not for some reason figure out how to convert to ACC. I right click and that is not an option. AM I MISSING SOMETHING:confused::confused::confused:

You have to go into Preferences > Advanced > Importing Options and change it to AAC.

On topic - I've made four or five ringtones with the new Garageband feature. Works like a charm!

westernmass
Jan 7, 2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks Mike that worked. Now I have it almost working. Got the file to show up on Itunes as RT but a sync to Iphone does not bring over. :confused: so close yet so far :) any thoughts on what I may be missing.

westernmass
Jan 9, 2008, 09:31 PM
Finally figured it out :) So easy.. DUHH :rolleyes: So what are the chances of when new firmware this trick or the tones I created be gone?

Holyghostwriter
Jan 11, 2008, 06:25 AM
Im following all the steps and the ringtone will pop up under the section in itunes and in the section for the phone but it wont sync to the phone when i apply and sync. Does anybody have any sugestions on what to do about this?

Oh and im using windows xp :confused:

jrichman63
Jan 11, 2008, 06:35 AM
does any only have great quality star trek tricorder SFX or starwars communicators SFX

please direct me to them or pst em

westernmass
Jan 11, 2008, 06:40 AM
hey holyghost. Make sure the tone is under 40 seconds. I had one in iTunes and could not get to sync it was 41 seconds. I redid cut to 38. Worked like A charm. Good luck

nickjaco
Jan 11, 2008, 01:11 PM
yeah its a good tutorial i made a picture tutorial back in december on the o2 forums so i posted it up here (http://customerforum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=413/ original link)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=412516 macrumor link.
its a little better than a all word tutorial but has the same effect

Holyghostwriter
Jan 11, 2008, 02:23 PM
Aight the problem was that the ringtone was too short like nick said in his piture tutorial must be no shorter than 28.5 and no longer than 31.5 thanks for the that link and the extra assistance Westen and Nick Holla!!!

:) ;)

EmptyPockets
Jan 17, 2008, 12:48 PM
Has anyone had issues just buying the ringtones?

I've tried to just buy one in itunes and nothing happened after the "loading"

I also haven't been able to get it to work by shortening the file, converting to aac, and changing the extension to .m4r

What to do?

megfilmworks
Jan 17, 2008, 02:05 PM
Has anyone had issues just buying the ringtones?

I've tried to just buy one in itunes and nothing happened after the "loading"

I also haven't been able to get it to work by shortening the file, converting to aac, and changing the extension to .m4r

What to do?

Are you unhacked running the latest iTunes and iPhone updates?

Mexicam
Jan 17, 2008, 03:03 PM
Good thing I just made a few more ring tones before I updated to 1.1.3.

Apple fixed this in its latest update. Does anybody know a good workaround to make Ringtones in this newest firmware update.

EmptyPockets
Jan 17, 2008, 03:42 PM
Are you unhacked running the latest iTunes and iPhone updates?

Yea, I just got the iphone on tuesday and i upgraded to the newest version of itunes and the latest 1.1.3 update.

Anyone else having issues?

I'm going to try more when I get home from work and possibly call apple support and see if they can help me.

EmptyPockets
Jan 17, 2008, 04:59 PM
Ended up not having the newest version of itunes, about to update. I'm sure that will fix it

Edit: I have version 7.6 and it still doesn't work at all. Both purchasing and through the free way

westernmass
Jan 17, 2008, 06:46 PM
I can still make them no problem. Meaning with XP cut to 30 second convert change to m4r .

megfilmworks
Jan 17, 2008, 08:14 PM
Ended up not having the newest version of itunes, about to update. I'm sure that will fix it

Edit: I have version 7.6 and it still doesn't work at all. Both purchasing and through the free wayHave you checked the boxes in ringtones to sync them? Are they in your iTunes ringtone folder?

mixstar336
Jan 17, 2008, 09:11 PM
also to make it work you need to remove the original file that you made the ringtone from...

EmptyPockets
Jan 21, 2008, 10:56 AM
Not sure if buying works but i managed to get it to work through garageband so I won't be buying.

Thanks for everyones help

joyke
Jan 23, 2008, 05:38 AM
hey guys, I just updated my iphone to v 1.1.3 and would like to use your sys tem, will it work??? uhmm, any way I need to know what is an .mpa and .mpr when you talk about renaming the ringtone from one to the other and how do you do it??
Thanks

angelicrebel911
Jan 27, 2008, 07:38 PM
Why is it if you do get a custom ringtone on your phone you can only have one? Is there a way you can have more than one custom ringtone that you make?

theHunter
Jan 28, 2008, 09:00 AM
My iPhone is not hacked, I am using latest iTunes (7.6) and lastest firmware (1.1.3). I was able to take advantage of the method above and get more than one ringtone added at a time. Attached is an image of two tones added to my iPhone last night, and I plan on adding several more.

By the way I don't use audacity, I use Nero custom sound creater and I edit my clip to 30 sec and it has worked both times without any issues.

Holyghostwriter
Feb 1, 2008, 02:36 PM
Instead of using a editing progam to cut the song i.e (audacity, cool edit, garage band) you can use itunes to start and end the song at any point.

1. Choose the song you want to use.
2. Right click on the song.
3. Select Info, then select the tab Options. (This is where you will notice a start and end time of the song)
4. Select the point you want to start the ringtone and end it i.e (start time = 0:00 End Time= 0:30) make sure you check the boxes then click ok. (Also be aware the you can choose the start time at any point in the song, it does not have to be 0:00 just make sure you choose a end time 30-35 seconds after that start time.)
5. Now you should be back in your library and right click on the song you want to use again and select convert to AAC. (If this option is not available you have to go to edit/preferences/advanced/importing and change the option IMPORT USING to AAC. Then it should be available)
6. After you convert to AAC you will notice a new song will appear with the same title but shorter.
7. Right click on the shorter version and select show in windows.
8. Select that file and right click on it to cut that file and paste it in your
my music/itunes/itunes music/ringtones folder.
9. After you paste it in the ringtones folder change the mp4 to mpr
10. It will ask if you are sure you want to use that? select yes.
11. Double click on the new mpr you just created and it should open directly in itunes playing out of your ringtones section ;0
12. Now you will see it in your iphone ringtone options and just sync it to your phone.
13. After, you can delete the shorter AAC file in your itunes library. Also DO Not forget to Right click on the long version again to go back to the start and end time. Change both to 0 and 0 and click okay. This is so the next time you play the song it will not start and stop at your custom setting but play in full. This has nothing to do with the ringtone.) Okay guys try this out and let me know how it works for you its much better than choppin up songs trust me ah. Oh for your info im running 7.5 itunes and 1.1.2 firmware on windows of course!!

zackd4588
Feb 23, 2008, 02:12 PM
how do you convert it from mp4 to mpr?

ubersalad
Feb 26, 2008, 09:01 PM
I read some early entries, and it doesn't exactly work. The following few steps should make things much simpler and easier.

I am using the latest 1.1.4 and iTunes 7.6.

-Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing
-Importing Using: AAC Encoder -> Settings: Custom -> Stereo Bit Rate: 40kbps -> Ok.
-Open Library -> right click on the song -> Get Info -> Options.
-Select your start time and end time, ~30 seconds should work.
-Right click on the song -> Convert to AAC
-Open up your itunes music folder where the song is stored -> rename the extension from .m4a to .m4r.
-Double click on the .m4r song and it should convert automatically into your ringtone folder and then sync and you're done.

mfharper
Feb 27, 2008, 10:16 AM
Hey ubersalad,

I followed your instructions to the "T" and ringtones are not showing up in my sounds settings. They are showing up in my ringtones folder inside iTunes.

I am on Windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
M

mfharper
Feb 27, 2008, 10:23 AM
Never mind. 40 seconds wont work. 39 will.

dmfresco
Feb 28, 2008, 08:16 PM
Hey ubersalad,

I followed your instructions to the "T" and ringtones are not showing up in my sounds settings. They are showing up in my ringtones folder inside iTunes.

I am on Windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
M

Ditto. Intel iMac 1.8 GHz Dual Core, OS X 10.5.2, iTunes 7.6.1.

Resevdog
Feb 28, 2008, 11:03 PM
I read some early entries, and it doesn't exactly work. The following few steps should make things much simpler and easier.

-Importing Using: AAC Encoder -> Settings: Custom -> Stereo Bit Rate: 40kbps -> Ok.
-Select your start time and end time, ~40 seconds should work.
-Open up your itunes music folder where the song is stored -> rename the extension from .m4a to .m4r.
-Double click on the .m4r song and it should convert automatically into your ringtone folder and then sync and you're done.

HALLELUJAH!!!

My fellow Windows users...follow these instructions! They DO work. The only thing is set your tone length for 30 seconds. It works. And if you can't answer by then, not only should you not have a cell phone, but the person calling you will likely want to throw it at your head by then, especially if your VM hasn't kicked in.

The only problem is I have now spent HOURS making ringtones...help me.

dmfresco
Feb 29, 2008, 07:47 AM
HALLELUJAH!!!

My fellow Windows users...follow these instructions! They DO work. The only thing is set your tone length for 30 seconds. It works. And if you can't answer by then, not only should you not have a cell phone, but the person calling you will likely want to throw it at your head by then, especially if your VM hasn't kicked in.

The only problem is I have now spent HOURS making ringtones...help me.

Thanks for the suggestion to change the bit rate. On my Intel iMac 1.8 GHz Dual Core, OS X 10.5.2, with iTunes 7.6.1, it still does not work. The file(s) show up in the Ringtone folder in iTunes. They will play in iTunes, but will not get synced. I was able to get them onto my iPhone with iToner though.

Word Warrior
Feb 29, 2008, 09:24 AM
I got a little programme from the net called "Makeiphoneringtone" from rogue amoeba it works a treat. You just have to convert a file into AAC in itunes that is less than 40 secs long. drop it on the app and presto ringtone made.:apple:

dmfresco
Feb 29, 2008, 09:43 AM
I got a little programme from the net called "Makeiphoneringtone" from rogue amoeba it works a treat. You just have to convert a file into AAC in itunes that is less than 40 secs long. drop it on the app and presto ringtone made.:apple:

Thanks. Making ringtones is not the problem. Rather, getting them to sync with my iPhone. That's were I run into problems.

Word Warrior
Feb 29, 2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks. Making ringtones is not the problem. Rather, getting them to sync with my iPhone. That's were I run into problems.

Curious, Just dropped a file onto makeiphoneringtones and it dumped it straight into ringtones in itunes and phone syncs perfectly. Which update do you have? It sync'd fine in 1.1.3 and 1.1.4:confused:

dmfresco
Feb 29, 2008, 11:53 AM
Curious, Just dropped a file onto makeiphoneringtones and it dumped it straight into ringtones in itunes and phone syncs perfectly. Which update do you have? It sync'd fine in 1.1.3 and 1.1.4:confused:

I figured it out. I had not told iTunes to sync ringtones. As soon as I did, all works fine.

ubersalad
Feb 29, 2008, 02:29 PM

-Select your start time and end time, ~30 seconds should work.

zackd4588
Mar 2, 2008, 09:32 PM
ok i just dont get this part -

how do you "rename" it?

dmfresco
Mar 3, 2008, 05:21 AM

how do you "rename" it?

On a Mac, the iTunes folder is located Home/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/

You can change the file type by Control-Clicking on the file in the Finder, getting info on the file, and typing a new name for it, or in this case, a new file extension.

I suspect that same kind of strategy works on Windows, but I have no idea where the iTunes folder resides on Windows.

zackd4588
Mar 3, 2008, 04:45 PM
Yeah unfortunately I am using windows until I buy my MacBook ; )

zackd4588
Mar 8, 2008, 01:08 AM
soooo can anyone tell me what I need to do?

SFC Archer
Mar 10, 2008, 06:25 AM

how do you "rename" it?

The mac side was answered. For PC right click on your ring tone in iTunes, select locate in windows, you should see the "tone name.extension" if not you will have to select tools and find/select view extensions. Then delete everything after the dot (.) and name it .m4r a popup will warn you about change, select OK.

valterjames
Mar 11, 2008, 07:57 AM
That really a good news for all iphone users. Great!!!!

shriva
Apr 10, 2008, 02:17 PM
Yes, in windows to rename...

first goto tools/folder options/view

Then find "hide extentions for known file types" and make sure that in UNCHECKED.

apply.

Then when you goto rename the file it includes the .m4a in what you can edit.

Slayerboym88
Jul 25, 2008, 11:34 PM
Here's my method using iTunes 7.5, Leopard, iPhone 1.1.2

1. Select the song you want to make a ringtone out of
2. Select Get Info, Under the Options tab, select the thirty second portion of the song you want to be your ringtone. i.e. 0:00 to 0:30 Click OK
3. Under iTunes preferences, under Advanced, make sure your importing method is AAC Encoder.
4. Select Advanced on the toolbar, then Convert Selection to AAC. It should only take a few seconds, and the result will be a duplicate file of said song, only it's thirty seconds in length.
5. Drag this new file to your desktop. Select Get Info (Apple + I) and change the file extension to m4r
6. Drag the file to your Ringtones folder under iTunes Music. For convenience, I placed a shortcut to this folder in the sidebar of the Finder.
7. Double click the file from that location. It should start playing, and appear in your Ringtones portion of the iTunes sidebar. It will also appear in the Ringtones tab of your iPhone device. Sync, and it's there!

This is fun! I hope they don't change it again soon.

Thanks you so much, this is the simplest way of doing this I think, free! You're an iSaint!

iuzila
Jul 26, 2008, 07:30 PM
so i've done everything and it works fine.. when i play it on the iphone though, i can hear static... is it like that for anyone else?

Tsar Chasm
Mar 7, 2009, 05:59 PM
Instead of using a editing progam to cut the song i.e (audacity, cool edit, garage band) you can use itunes to start and end the song at any point.

1. Choose the song you want to use.
2. Right click on the song.
3. Select Info, then select the tab Options. (This is where you will notice a start and end time of the song)
4. Select the point you want to start the ringtone and end it i.e (start time = 0:00 End Time= 0:30) make sure you check the boxes then click ok. (Also be aware the you can choose the start time at any point in the song, it does not have to be 0:00 just make sure you choose a end time 30-35 seconds after that start time.)
5. Now you should be back in your library and right click on the song you want to use again and select convert to AAC. (If this option is not available you have to go to edit/preferences/advanced/importing and change the option IMPORT USING to AAC. Then it should be available)
6. After you convert to AAC you will notice a new song will appear with the same title but shorter.
7. Right click on the shorter version and select show in windows.
8. Select that file and right click on it to cut that file and paste it in your
my music/itunes/itunes music/ringtones folder.
9. After you paste it in the ringtones folder change the mp4 to mpr
10. It will ask if you are sure you want to use that? select yes.
11. Double click on the new mpr you just created and it should open directly in itunes playing out of your ringtones section ;0
12. Now you will see it in your iphone ringtone options and just sync it to your phone.
13. After, you can delete the shorter AAC file in your itunes library. Also DO Not forget to Right click on the long version again to go back to the start and end time. Change both to 0 and 0 and click okay. This is so the next time you play the song it will not start and stop at your custom setting but play in full. This has nothing to do with the ringtone.) Okay guys try this out and let me know how it works for you its much better than choppin up songs trust me ah. Oh for your info im running 7.5 itunes and 1.1.2 firmware on windows of course!!

Thanks! Works great!