PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro: now Official Waiting for MacWorld Thread...

netdog
Nov 14, 2007, 05:57 AM
I'd say they announce the Mac Pro today or you can forget about it until MacWorld in January, perhaps with new cases and new cinema displays.

Will they or won't they?

G4DP
Nov 14, 2007, 06:05 AM
Netdog, I think your spot on. As much as I hate the fact. If they haven't got a system ready, them Macworld will be the next time for one to appear. Although a Pro announcement at a Consumer show is a little odd.

But then Apples release's have been very unpredictable as of late.

moworks2
Nov 14, 2007, 06:05 AM
I'd say they announce the Mac Pro today or you can forget about it until MacWorld in January, perhaps with new cases and new cinema displays.

Will they or won't they?

I don't know...but if they don't, why wouldn't they introduce them between tomorrow and MacWorld?...there's a whole eight weeks in there...please forgive me if this is a silly question...

truly,...

in the mist...

koobcamuk
Nov 14, 2007, 06:08 AM

Just wondered how would would improve the Mac Pro design? I almost think of it as timeless, as I do the ACD. I'll be picking up another ACD once the new ones get released - should get a good few deals!

Quash
Nov 14, 2007, 06:36 AM
If it's just an upgrade of the current machine. Without changing the look of it.
Just the video and new processors, and maybe more memory and a bigger drive

Then the update could be any day from now on. Since the new processors are available. So whenever they are ready to start shipping they can announce it.

Don't see any reason why they would have to make an event of the release if it's just a 20-30% regular speed bump.

If they would do a big makeover or split the line into a single socket quad core and a dual socket octo core ( like they did with the PM G5 1.8 single).
To make a more affordable mac pro, which would be a good move imho.
Then the announcement could well be at macworld.

Whichever way i'll be waiting for the upgrade, not gonna dump 3k on a 15 month old config.

netdog
Nov 14, 2007, 06:48 AM
I don't know...but if they don't, why wouldn't they introduce them between tomorrow and MacWorld?...there's a whole eight weeks in there...please forgive me if this is a silly question...

truly,...

in the mist...

Retailers are reluctant to update inventories and stock lists between now and Christmas. They could release it today, as Monday was a holiday (the day of the Intel announcement) hence bumping traditional Tuesday announcements to Wednesday (to give the PR department time to work their stuff), and that would all be a sign that Apple is anxious to update a machine that has been allowed to remain basically unchanged since August 2006.

If they aren't anxious, they aren't going to bring this dog to market until MacWorld. That was Multi's theory, and I believe he was correct in his analysis.

It is not almost 5am in California. We should here something in the next hour or two...or not.

darthraige
Nov 14, 2007, 07:10 AM
I hate you Apple. lol. Change that home page, NOW! :D

louden
Nov 14, 2007, 07:15 AM
Oddly - I woke up early this morning (west coast) - I think we'll see the upgrades. Apple gobbled up all the early chips, so we'll see improved machines with the same enclosure.

Bigger changes will come with the next Xeon release.

darthraige
Nov 14, 2007, 07:17 AM
Oddly - I woke up early this morning (west coast) - I think we'll see the upgrades. Apple gobbled up all the early chips, so we'll see improved machines with the same enclosure.

Bigger changes will come with the next Xeon release.

What time(s) could this happen at though? 9am EST? 9am PST? Noon EST? Noon PST? End of the day?

OllyW
Nov 14, 2007, 07:23 AM
What time(s) could this happen at though? 9am EST? 9am PST? Noon EST? Noon PST? End of the day?

Unless there is a special launch event, the UK store always goes down between 12:00 and 1:00pm.

It's 1:20pm now and the store is still up......

twoodcc
Nov 14, 2007, 07:29 AM
yeah, it's starting to look like Macworld....

trollking
Nov 14, 2007, 07:39 AM
I am really having my doubts about any releses this week. Before the MAcBooks were announce there were a lot more grumblings through the rumor mill about inventory shortages and the like. Haven't seen anything.

Highly doubtful that we will see anything next week... I guess it would be possible if they are expecting the big Friday after Thanksgiving rush, I would really feel sorry for the store employees though.

That would leave December. There was mention on some of the rumors sites about a bunch of exciting releases between now (then) and mid December. But none of them have had any follow ups.

Which then leads to macworld... but if they are planning the utra portable laptop thingy, and possibly some other consumer hand held device mentioned in other rumors I don't think they would want to take away from the press about those devices.

So my prediction is they will never release new Mac Pros... nope not bitter in the least... anyone know the Dell website :P

Hoepfully they are just waiting on some graphics card shipments and they will get our little dream machines in the stores and into my fat grubby hands soon.... or I'm going to join the Amish

ziwi
Nov 14, 2007, 07:48 AM
If they announce today and do not release until late December, what is the difference of just announcing in January when they can ship immediately? There is no difference in my opinion. I want one, but ordering today and getting it in January or ordering it in January and getting it in January are the same thing...it is either early Jan. just prior to MW or at the event.

zdobson
Nov 14, 2007, 07:49 AM

Will they or won't they?

I'm thinking MWSF now, as much as I hate that. I've heard it's going to be 45 days before Intel ships most of their Penryns. Even if the rumor is true about Apple buying a big chunk of the 3.2 bin, I don't think they would release the new line until they have the full range of processors available.

As for the cases, I doubt that, too. I'm betting they'll have a major redesign when Intel's next line, Nehalem, is ready in late '08 or early '09. Nehalem is a huge change in processor architecture, so it seems more likely to warrant a redesign from Apple.

darthraige
Nov 14, 2007, 07:57 AM
Welp, looks like I am buying a current model... Thanks Apple. Thanks for killing my dreams. :mad:

OllyW
Nov 14, 2007, 08:02 AM
Welp, looks like I am buying a current model... Thanks Apple. Thanks for killing my dreams. :mad:

Why don't you get a refurb and sell it when the new ones start shipping?

chameleon
Nov 14, 2007, 08:04 AM
I'd say they announce the Mac Pro today or you can forget about it until MacWorld in January
I don't buy that.

These are business machines. They'll be released when they're ready. I'm not sure that Apple needs to wait for a major press event, or be worried about Christmas sales.

My guess is that when they have enough chips in house, they'll start shipping -- regardless of when.

Squonk
Nov 14, 2007, 08:05 AM
See you in January Mac (pro).... *sigh*

Madhawk
Nov 14, 2007, 08:07 AM

What if it's Friday? Then what? Hold on, you can do it!!!;)

The current Mac Pros are rip offs, don't be fooled.

darthraige
Nov 14, 2007, 08:12 AM
Why don't you get a refurb and sell it when the new ones start shipping?

Don't trust refurbs anymore, that and when I get a computer, I need to have it til it breaks. I install a lot of time consuming programs lol. You know how it is, customizing and all.

darthraige
Nov 14, 2007, 08:14 AM
What if it's Friday? Then what? Hold on, you can do it!!!;)

I think Friday would be the last day I wait. I kinda want it before Thanksgiving, and I don't think that will happen now since it will take 3-5 days until they ship it since I will be adding things to it. Then by the end of next week it's almost December, then I should just wait until Penryn. Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Don't know what to do anymore.

Grimace
Nov 14, 2007, 08:15 AM

Killing your dreams? Geez. If it's [100% sure!!] going to be some time in the next two months, just hold on a bit longer!

Wild-Bill
Nov 14, 2007, 08:17 AM
Time to submit some very strongly-worded Mac Pro feedback. I'm going to ask them how their 18 month sabbatical is treating them.

darthraige
Nov 14, 2007, 08:22 AM
I mean, I do have a history of buying things and that same day something better comes out. I could sacrifice buying a current MacPro so that everyone else can get Penryn. lol .... I might just hang on. It just sucks.

ziwi
Nov 14, 2007, 08:22 AM
I think Friday would be the last day I wait. I kinda want it before Thanksgiving, and I don't think that will happen now since it will take 3-5 days until they ship it since I will be adding things to it. Then by the end of next week it's almost December, then I should just wait until Penryn. Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Don't know what to do anymore.

For all the waiting - you could have churned out some projects on the old machine...13 months since the last pro even your old G4 could churn out some work - why throw in the towel a few miles from the finish?

chameleon
Nov 14, 2007, 08:23 AM
If they announce today and do not release until late December, what is the difference of just announcing in January when they can ship immediately? There is no difference in my opinion.
There is a big, big difference for business owners.

We have to spend our IT budget by December 31st, or we incur a tax penalty.

Think of it this way. $4,000 on December 31st turns into $3,400 on January 1st, since Uncle Sam will take about 15% of the corporate profits at year end.

So, if we purchase now, we have 15% more spending power than if Apple makes us wait until January.

Wild-Bill
Nov 14, 2007, 08:26 AM
Someone needs to e-mail MultiMedia and thank him for yet another false prediction, at which time he will provide you with another one. :rolleyes:

trollking
Nov 14, 2007, 08:27 AM

I know how you feel believe me. I should have bought a new computer over the summer but kept hoping for new stuff... especially new graphics cards.

You can hold out. Be strong. We'll form a Mac Pro support group. We'll have meetings and people will get different chips depending on how long they have waited and there will be donuts. And we'll send the bill for the donuts to Steve Jobs. Oh and cookies.

Pressure
Nov 14, 2007, 08:36 AM
They could be waiting for the Radeon HD 3800 series to be announced tomorrow, who knows but Apple ;)

dante@sisna.com
Nov 14, 2007, 08:46 AM

Will they or won't they?

I don't think you will see a case redesign with new monitors unit March, right before NAB (National Association of Broadcasters).

RichP
Nov 14, 2007, 08:55 AM
If they are planning on a simple upgrade (not a new case, etc) then expect an announcement in december. Penryn machines are not shipping till then, why should apple announce a new macpro now, and kill current macpro sales for 4 weeks?

AviationFan
Nov 14, 2007, 09:10 AM
I mean, I do have a history of buying things and that same day something better comes out. I could sacrifice buying a current MacPro so that everyone else can get Penryn.So it's your fault - well, what are you waiting for? Go buy one! :D

- Martin, feeling your pain...

uNext
Nov 14, 2007, 09:23 AM
If they are planning on a simple upgrade (not a new case, etc) then expect an announcement in december. Penryn machines are not shipping till then, why should apple announce a new macpro now, and kill current macpro sales for 4 weeks?

rICHp YOU GOT IT

People are breaking their heads over this long awaited update
but really fail to see that apple is a business in it for money
why would they kill sales by announcing like everybody else?

Their motto was think diffrent.

FF_productions
Nov 14, 2007, 09:27 AM
Someone needs to e-mail MultiMedia and thank him for yet another false prediction, at which time he will provide you with another one. :rolleyes:

It's hard to predict these things, once he saw Aiden Shaw's post about the processors not coming until December, he pushed his prediction to January 15th.

Maybe we'll see something today? Who knows

I feel sorry for you guys

darthraige
Nov 14, 2007, 09:32 AM
Now, seeing how MacBooks were just updated on a Thursday, anyway Apple would hold off until this Thursday or Friday and ship the new MacPro with a "stable" Leopard... 10.5.1? Maybe Apple is just waiting to finalize that?

-Noodles
Nov 14, 2007, 09:48 AM

stay strong.... at worst its a couple weeks away. just think about the power you'll be getting (or missing if you buy now). plus you'll feel better knowing you stretched that g4 to the limit.

In regard to the talk about waiting to update the case till the next line of processors come out at the end of '08, i think it's unlikely they'd wait another year to redesign the case. How many years would that make of having this case design? 3 or more by now i think? Given the update to the imac's design independent of any major processor update i think it's likely the mac pro will see the same, even if its only minor. If nothing else a black apple logo on the side of the machine.

viltsu
Nov 14, 2007, 09:49 AM
Now, seeing how MacBooks were just updated on a Thursday, anyway Apple would hold off until this Thursday or Friday and ship the new MacPro with a "stable" Leopard... 10.5.1? Maybe Apple is just waiting to finalize that?

I like you being so hopefull ;)

netdog
Nov 14, 2007, 10:55 AM
Well, I changed the subject. MacWorld release seems almost assured.

suneohair
Nov 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
I reluctantly join.....

Eidorian
Nov 14, 2007, 11:03 AM
How many months now since the last waiting thread? 2-3?

reidspice
Nov 14, 2007, 11:08 AM
i'm guessing that it may be related to 10.5 as well. i wouldn't be surprised if they needed to write some custom code to make the new procs/mobos/video cards hum along properly. i doubt you'll be able to run 10.4 on the new machines.

darthraige
Nov 14, 2007, 11:13 AM
i'm guessing that it may be related to 10.5 as well. i wouldn't be surprised if they needed to write some custom code to make the new procs/mobos/video cards hum along properly. i doubt you'll be able to run 10.4 on the new machines.

Hopefully they are just waiting for 10.5.1 and will release the MacPro once that Leopard update comes, if not, I guess I'm waiting too. :(

Amethyst
Nov 14, 2007, 11:15 AM
in the same boat too ..

chameleon
Nov 14, 2007, 11:17 AM
Well, I changed the subject. MacWorld release seems almost assured.

No, no, no, no, NO!

I cannot wait until MacWorld! The budget has to be spent by December 31st!

Please Apple, don't do this to us.

snowleopard
Nov 14, 2007, 12:26 PM
There are a couple of arguments as to why if they do not announce this week, they will still do so before the end of the year:

The first is that they're waiting for the chips to arrive, so they can ship when announced, or close to it.

Second is waiting for 10.5.1, removing a few bugs in the initial OS release makes more pros smile. Consumers hate bugs too, but it costs pros money.

Third is that MacWorld is for consumers, and the big announcement then will likely be the new sleek MacBook with the revolutionary LED screens, and more iPhone, iTunes, iTV and iPod stuff. Mac Pro is much more professional based than what most consumer users want/need.

I have to say I'm with Chameleon. As a business owner, it would benefit me a tremendous amount to buy before Dec 31st, instead of waiting until MacWorld.

weblogik
Nov 14, 2007, 12:30 PM
There are a couple of arguments as to why if they do not announce this week, they will still do so before the end of the year:

The first is that they're waiting for the chips to arrive, so they can ship when announced, or close to it.

Second is waiting for 10.5.1, removing a few bugs in the initial OS release makes more pro's smile. Consumers had bugs too, but it costs pro's money.

Third is that MacWorld is for consumers, and the big announcement then will likely be the new sleek MacBook with the revolutionary LED screens, and more iPhone and iPod stuff. Mac Pro is much more professional based than what most consumer users want/need.

I have to say I'm with Chameleon. As a business owner, it would benefit me a tremendous amount to buy before Dec 31st, instead of waiting until MacWorld.

Finally someone not being a little crybaby about their toy not being ready and making some good points!

I m with the 10.5.1 theory all the way, it makes sense... and yes i want to write off this 4 g's too

darthraige
Nov 14, 2007, 12:40 PM
So, let's say 10.5.1 is released this Friday. Would Apple really introduce new MacPros that following Tuesday before Thanksgiving? ... If we are still going with a traditional "Tuesday" release.

Also, I would think the Apple home page will change as soon as 10.5.1 is released.

Jonny427
Nov 14, 2007, 01:10 PM
If such a large portion of Mac Pro sales are to businesses, I can't see why apple won't at least announce it now and allow them to purchase it by year's end. I've noticed several people anxious to buy for the tax benefits.

Come on apple!

AviationFan
Nov 14, 2007, 01:12 PM
Would Apple really introduce new MacPros that following Tuesday before Thanksgiving?I don't see why not. I bet the vast majority of people that shop for Apple computers on "black Friday" are interested in MacBooks and iMacs, but not the Mac Pro series. Since MacBooks and iMacs have just been updated, I don't understand what significance Thanksgiving has for Apple's timing of the Mac pro update.

- Martin

darthraige
Nov 14, 2007, 01:26 PM
I don't see why not. I bet the vast majority of people that shop for Apple computers on "black Friday" are interested in MacBooks and iMacs, but not the Mac Pro series. Since MacBooks and iMacs have just been updated, I don't understand what significance Thanksgiving has for Apple's timing of the Mac pro update.

- Martin

That and aren't only certain products from Apple participating in Black Friday? So you're right, it wouldn't matter for MacPros. I guess we are just gonna have to wait and see. Hopefully it's just Leopard 10.5.1 slowing them down now.

TheThirdMan
Nov 14, 2007, 01:27 PM
The mac pro havsnt been updated in almost a year and a half. considering how the average update cycle is 6 months, this seems like a massive oversight on apple's part. They've invested in Logic, Aperture and the new FCS without giving updates to the machines which 99% of prosumer/professionals will be using.

I can't believe i'll have to wait until macworld. Apple seem to be sacrificing the core users of their proapps for the sake of iphone and the consumer level products! I've seen countless forums like this one with loads of people saying how they want an update! For the same price as a mac pro 4 core, you can get
-quad core cpu
-8gb of ram
-sli graphics
-24"display

in a regular consumer platform, yet it would be far more powerful that the mac pro!

There really is no reason to get a mac pro at the mo, theyre sooo outdated.

darthraige
Nov 14, 2007, 01:40 PM
The mac pro havsnt been updated in almost a year and a half.

Really? lol ;)

chameleon
Nov 14, 2007, 02:17 PM
If absolute worst came to worst, I guess my business could just buy $4,000 worth of Apple Gift Cards to be used after MacWorld 2008. That would give us the tax break by spending the money in 2007.

Of course, then we have the huge gamble that the machine is actually released in January. What if MacWorld comes and goes without a new Mac Pro? What if it's not until NAB? WWDC? We'd be stuck holding $4k in gift cards until June.

I really hope it doesn't come to that. I can live with late December. I can't live with March or June 2008.

darthraige
Nov 14, 2007, 02:23 PM
If absolute worst came to worst, I guess my business could just buy $4,000 worth of Apple Gift Cards to be used after MacWorld 2008. That would give us the tax break by spending the money in 2007.

Of course, then we have the huge gamble that the machine is actually released in January. What if MacWorld comes and goes without a new Mac Pro? What if it's not until NAB? WWDC? We'd be stuck holding $4k in gift cards until June.

I really hope it doesn't come to that. I can live with late December. I can't live with March or June 2008.

First off, I will take the 4k in gift cards off your hands if you like. lol Second, it will be January or before. Can't be March since Nehalem will be out a few months later. Pointless to even put Penryn in by then.

GreyHare
Nov 14, 2007, 02:27 PM
We'd be stuck holding $4k in gift cards until June.

Assuming your risk of losing said gift cards is nil, your purchase of gift cards saves you $600 in taxes. At what point do you lose $600 by sitting on the gift cards instead of buying what is shipping now, or waiting to buy the Penryn boxes?

I haven't seen anyone comment on Apple's side of this: If they sell before December 31, and ship in January, would Apple have to pay the 15% corporate profit tax on the profits it gets from selling those Mac Pros before they ship? If so, why would they sell it that long before shipping?

I'm as impatient as most of you guys; I've got an old iMac G4 and an Athlon64 Shuttle box running Windows and Linux that I would rather combine into a single Mac Pro, and I don't want to buy the current models because the prices are too high for the technology, esp. the price deltas from 2.66/4 -> 3.00/4 -> 3.00/8, and the RAM is 2x market rates. But Apple's got to put Apple first on the large scale, or they lose money.

Rowlander
Nov 14, 2007, 02:27 PM
I posted this a month ago:
A silent update for their pro-machine that hasnīt been updated in over a year? Leaving you only with thinner laptops to show at you big event two months later!
Would you do that if you were Steve Jobs?

Or would you introduce it with a big bang at Macworld, calling it "the fastest personal computer on the planet!" and saying things like: "Isnīt this amazing?", "boom" and "This is the best mac we ever built, I think our customers will love it."

And donīt forget the best one and my personal reason for why I think, they will hold it back until Macworld:
"Shipping ... TODAY!" (*Audience cheers.*)

If only it was January already. At this point, I would be surprised to see the new Mac Pro before Macworld.
Damn, why did I have to be right! :mad:

darthraige
Nov 14, 2007, 02:29 PM
I posted this a month ago:

Damn, why did I have to be right! :mad:

You'll be right if it does happen at MWSF. Until then, who knows. :p

louden
Nov 14, 2007, 02:37 PM
Now I think the timing is down to a question of Inventory -

- Do they have too much a supply (or contract) of the older technology they need to get rid of?
-- Chips
-- Memory
-- Anything else?

- Do they have a supply of the newer technolgy they'll need to meet demand?
-- Chips
-- Memory
-- Anything else?

Assuming the cases stay the same, we're looking at chips - both existing supply and new supply - Is availabitly of new chips mid-December? If you remember other companies were announcing Santa Rosa chipped laptops before Apple, yet Apple wound up shipping before them and started shipping as soon as they were announced.

With an existing product, Apple has no incentive to note when a new release will take place, otherwise they'll lose sales on existing products, so as always, don't expect to hear anything from Apple until a press release/news conference.

Jul
Nov 14, 2007, 03:55 PM
*me getting in the waiting line*

So DAAMIT releases their new cards tomorrow. I hope we see at least an HD3850 (single-slot solution) in the new mac pro. Crossfire would be nice. Is the new Intel chipset (i5400) crossfire compatible? 8800 gt would be nice too maybe as BTO option.

darthraige
Nov 14, 2007, 05:29 PM
Been doing some thinking on the way home from work...

Any chance Intel has a contract with Apple stating, "Before you (Apple) stomp your competitors, let them have a few days to announce their systems first." ?

And second, wouldn't MID-November mean, 11/15? Since it is the half way mark. Apple does like to release stuff on Thursday's now. One can only dream.

Simplesimon101
Nov 14, 2007, 05:57 PM
wouldn't MID-November mean, 11/15? Since it is the half way mark. Apple does like to release stuff on Thursday's now. One can only dream.

i actually genuinely had a dream last night that apple where updating the mac pros... (they wheren't actually in the dream but there was a stand where they where going to go in the window of the apple store). i think i need to get out more.

sinn.
Nov 14, 2007, 06:06 PM
I am going to wait for macworld. There is no point in me (college student) shelling out 3k for a computer that will only be updated in 2 months. I just bought a Wacom to tide me over. Also I can save up a lot more money by jan, that way I can get all the memory, HDs and monitors I want instead of having to piece it together.

astrostu
Nov 14, 2007, 11:13 PM
I'll join the waiting game too ... though I've been in it since early summer ('07). I'm not necessarily waiting for MWSF, I'm just waiting until they're released. After the let-down of today's lack of announcement, I'm trying not to get my hopes up for any given date ... just waiting for it to happen and in the meantime watching RAM prices decline and the cash I've set asside accumulate interest.

Sigh ........

schreck
Nov 14, 2007, 11:54 PM

He always said November 15th.

ChemiosMurphy
Nov 15, 2007, 12:18 AM
Penryn is only going to be around for a few months at the max. Check out Nehalem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_%28microarchitecture%29) at Wikipedia. They already have its successor planned out. It's quite depressing i'd say. I'm a poor film student at Drexel, and I'm going to plop out 3K on a system thats going to be yesterday's news. Dammit! We had a few Hackintosh's at my old high school and maybe that's the route to go.... ;)

krypt
Nov 15, 2007, 12:22 AM
Penryn is only going to be around for a few months at the max. Check out Nehalem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_%28microarchitecture%29) at Wikipedia. They already have its successor planned out. It's quite depressing i'd say. I'm a poor film student at Drexel, and I'm going to plop out 3K on a system thats going to be yesterday's news. Dammit! We had a few Hackintosh's at my old high school and maybe that's the route to go.... ;)
When they release Nehalem you could then sell your Penryn. :)

k

suneohair
Nov 15, 2007, 12:37 AM

We have known this roadmap for quite sometime. A few months is a gross understatement. Penryn is here now with Nehalem a year away, pending no delays.

As a waiter I am not concerned with Nehalem as it isn't actually here today. The Mac Pro needs an update, it seems though that maybe Apple is falling into the pattern of waiting for the next best thing... isn't that what people around here accuse us of? :rolleyes:

snowleopard
Nov 15, 2007, 03:33 AM
Of course these machines aren't out yet, but my understanding is that while the jump from Woodcrest/Clovertown to Penryn will be a rather large jump, the jump from Penryn to Nehalem will be more incremental.

There's also still debate as to just how micro Nehalem will be on which levels, with vague release plans. I wouldn't expect Nehalem to be launched well into 2008. Like, 9 months from now.

The reasons so many of us are waiting for Penryn are that this is a big step up from Woodcrest, it's also the first upgrade in many months, and it coincides with the release of Leopard. It's really the perfect time to buy a MacPro...providing they do release it in a timely manner.

krypt
Nov 15, 2007, 03:37 AM
The reasons so many of us are waiting for Penryn are that this is a big step up from Woodcrest, it's also the first upgrade in many months, and it coincides with the release of Leopard. It's really the perfect time to buy a MacPro...providing they do release it in a timely manner.
Yep--that's why I'm waiting. I suspect the delay is a Penryn supply issue and we'll see the new MPs very soon.

k

irishgrizzly
Nov 15, 2007, 05:42 AM

Hold on there! You mean to say they're not going to stop at this next chip?! Smart company, making new chips for when it's the future and the people are livin in the future.

Quash
Nov 15, 2007, 06:02 AM
AMD(ati) Released the HD3800 family of graphics card today, might be apple is just waiting on those :)

Think it will be any day now, once the component supplies are there.
If it's gonna be announced in January then there will be more of a change then a bit faster processors and graphics. Might be single(quad) and dual(octo) slot mac pro's coming who knows.

chameleon
Nov 15, 2007, 07:03 AM
Penryn is only going to be around for a few months at the max. Check out Nehalem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_%28microarchitecture%29) at Wikipedia. They already have its successor planned out. It's quite depressing i'd say.
That will always be the case.

The folks that bought a 486 PC were depressed when the Pentium came out.

The folks that bought a G3 were depressed when the G4 came out.

The folks that bought a Core Duo were depressed with the Core 2 Duo came out.

That's the way technology works. There's always something better on the horizon. If the horizon is close, like we all feel the Mac Pro release is, then it's worth waiting. If it's distant, like Nehalem, no point in waiting. Buy now and replace later.

SirOmega
Nov 15, 2007, 08:04 AM
Since it wasnt released this morning..

Chance of announcement between now and MWSF: 20%. Chance of announcement at MWSF: 80%.

darthraige
Nov 15, 2007, 08:08 AM
I swear, the MacPro is going to be the most random update, they will just randomly hit us with it. Hopefully Apple is just waiting on graphic options. Maybe we will see an update any day now. :D I'm still gonna go with right after 10.5.1 is released. I want the MacPro to be as stable as possible.

Silverhawk
Nov 15, 2007, 08:33 AM
Here's what i don't understand about the whole video card situation with Apple.

1) AMD owns ATI yet Apple doesn't use AMD processors (which idealy would be most optimal and yes crossfire would be nice)

2) However since they're purely Intel machines now, why can't they stop using ATI and just simply rely on Nvidia for their graphic card needs (Yes the 8800 GT is the most ideal one both money and performance wise and yes if you can put 4 7300GTs [don't know why] then how's about some SLI performance for APPLE!!!

FireSlash
Nov 15, 2007, 10:38 AM
1) AMD owns ATI yet Apple doesn't use AMD processors (which idealy would be most optimal and yes crossfire would be nice)
Apple doesn't use AMD processors, but that doesn't mean they can't use AMD graphics cards. They were using ATI long before AMD purchased them, there's no reason to ruin that relationship just because of new management. Also, I've yet to see any benchmarks supporting AMD CPUs giving any performance boost with AMD GPUs over nVidia ones.

2) However since they're purely Intel machines now, why can't they stop using ATI and just simply rely on Nvidia for their graphic card needs (Yes the 8800 GT is the most ideal one both money and performance wise and yes if you can put 4 7300GTs [don't know why] then how's about some SLI performance for APPLE!!!
SLI is not an Intel technology, it's an nVidia one. Since Apple tends to use purely Intel bridges, this means they'd have to go a little further to add SLI. Since the Mac Pro isn't a gaming machine, it's wasted time and money.

Apple continues to use both AMD and ATI graphics cards because there is no reason not to. PCI-SIG's Express standard doesn't break between vendors, so they don't need to invest anything making their boards work with either brand card. At that point, since some professionals have preference, or even requirements on what brands they can use, it becomes obvious.

akm3
Nov 15, 2007, 12:00 PM
What do you think of this scenario:

Apple is having a record breaking year both for profits and shareholder value (stock price).

The consumer level stuff is driving the insane profits right now, and they want to see how that levels off before tapping the huge pent up demand in the pro market.

If they release it now, all the pro sales go into this fiscal quarter, they an absolutely insane quarter and... then what? They won't be able to top themselves, the street (stocks again) analysts set unrealistic expectations they can't keep up with and BAM the stock gets hit.

Apple's number one concern is always (and should always) be for the shareholders, so by NOT releasing a Mac Pro yet, they protect their stock price for a longer term, more stable growth.

-Allen

(Anyone who knows how stocks and business cycles and such really work will realize everything I wrote above is a crap premise, but it is as good as the other crap premises we are getting :)

AviationFan
Nov 15, 2007, 12:22 PM
[...]
If they release it now, all the pro sales go into this fiscal quarter, they an absolutely insane quarter and... then what? They won't be able to top themselves, the street (stocks again) analysts set unrealistic expectations they can't keep up with and BAM the stock gets hit.Guys,

just because most of us here are insane enough to check macrumors and apple.com a dozen times a day doesn't mean that the majority of MacPro customers will buy a new computer shortly after it is introduced. So I don't buy into this argument at all.

- Martin

zioxide
Nov 15, 2007, 12:34 PM
You know what's funny?

You guys have been waiting for this Mac Pro update since like March. That's 8 months without a computer.

lol.

weblogik
Nov 15, 2007, 12:55 PM
You know what's funny?

You guys have been waiting for this Mac Pro update since like March. That's 8 months without a computer.

lol.

Pretty sure everyone waiting for a Mac PRO has at least a computer, and it must be doing enough to get by to excuse the wait.
If you don't have a computer, and are waiting for a new Mac Pro, well your either stupid or you don't need a Mac Pro at all

Wild-Bill
Nov 15, 2007, 01:11 PM
He always said November 15th.

Well, he was wrong, yet again.

ErikAndre
Nov 15, 2007, 01:33 PM
If they announce today and do not release until late December, what is the difference of just announcing in January when they can ship immediately? There is no difference in my opinion. I want one, but ordering today and getting it in January or ordering it in January and getting it in January are the same thing...it is either early Jan. just prior to MW or at the event.

...or try this one: the reason they're waiting till january is to announce a few products, but announce the MP with all its glory, but with a March/June 2008 ship date.

AviationFan
Nov 15, 2007, 02:01 PM
the reason they're waiting till january is to announce a few products, but announce the MP with all its glory, but with a March/June 2008 ship date.I don't like you! :mad:

(Just kidding... as were you, I am sure...)

- Martin

sal
Nov 15, 2007, 02:23 PM
just curious. Why are the current macpros ripoffs?

besides the speed increase, is there anything else that is going to be added to the newmacpros that is worth waiting for?

akm3
Nov 15, 2007, 02:25 PM
Guys,

just because most of us here are insane enough to check macrumors and apple.com a dozen times a day doesn't mean that the majority of MacPro customers will buy a new computer shortly after it is introduced. So I don't buy into this argument at all.

- Martin

(I don't buy this argument either, as I state later in my post =D

-Allen

darthraige
Nov 15, 2007, 02:29 PM
just curious. Why are the current macpros ripoffs?

besides the speed increase, is there anything else that is going to be added to the newmacpros that is worth waiting for?

2-4 years old graphic cards in it. The fact that Apple could ship the damn thing with at least 2gigs of Memory now. The iMacs currently have bigger HD than the MacPro. lol

aimfire
Nov 15, 2007, 03:02 PM
I've been waiting since August for this and following the threads and rumors everyday, ugh. Also have a friend in the same boat, needs a Mac Pro *soon* and is tempted to just go buy the current model.

Anyways, I also thought it would be this week... still a chance for Friday, but not looking good... I don't think it will be next week either because of Thanksgiving and they're probably more focused on all the consumer stuff for Black Friday.

Then we still have that last week of Nov... another possibility.
My guess is, if it's not out by Dec. 15, then will probably be MacWorld in Jan... I really do hope I'm wrong, but not looking good... :(

ErikAndre
Nov 15, 2007, 03:29 PM
I've been waiting since August for this and following the threads and rumors everyday, ugh. Also have a friend in the same boat, needs a Mac Pro *soon* and is tempted to just go buy the current model.
No kidding, I have video production on hold until this thing comes out... even if it is january. I'm just hoping they don't make a big show all around the new portable macbook in january, and then say on the side: "oh yeah, and we have a new mac pro coming that does xyz and offers teleportation features, but won't ship til june '08). Sheesh. Or what if they don't mention it at all in january? man, listen to me.

It just makes sense that there should be some sign of something... anything... by tuesday of any sort... or the week after that. I just can't wait past January.

(ok.. shutting up) :D

jrlcopy
Nov 15, 2007, 03:38 PM
Wow... another update, now for the imac, common apple! stop taunting us, there has to be something coming. lol, unless each team had to get an update out in order to start their turkey-day holiday.

ErikAndre
Nov 15, 2007, 03:48 PM
Wow... another update, now for the imac, common apple! stop taunting us, there has to be something coming. lol, unless each team had to get an update out in order to start their turkey-day holiday.
I'm sayin! It's like they're dangling a little mac pro on a stick in front of us...

"No Mac Pro for you!" :eek:

:D

mrbc19
Nov 15, 2007, 03:52 PM
No kidding, I have video production on hold until this thing comes out... even if it is january. I'm just hoping they don't make a big show all around the new portable macbook in january, and then say on the side: "oh yeah, and we have a new mac pro coming that does xyz and offers teleportation features, but won't ship til june '08). Sheesh. Or what if they don't mention it at all in january? man, listen to me.

It just makes sense that there should be some sign of something... anything... by tuesday of any sort... or the week after that. I just can't wait past January.

(ok.. shutting up) :D

I've also put my personal video project on hold waiting for this update. Granted I was saving money for a few months expecting to be ready to buy this week. Now that there is no update, I am being forced to bring an external hard drive into my office to start editing my personal project on the G5 I use at work, during the weekends. It's a tide-me-over, but one I was hoping to avoid!

Is there any possibility that the Mac Pro wouldn't be updated by MWSF at the latest?

Sean Dempsey
Nov 15, 2007, 04:24 PM
No kidding, I have video production on hold until this thing comes out...

Serious question: what possible project could you afford to put on hold until a "new" computer comes out?

Don't you have clients who are wanting it done?
Aren't there any deadlines for this project?
Aren't you losing money by not finishing work?
Do you really think that an extra 5-10% speed boost is worth the wait?

What exactly is this project you have? Seems like you'd either just a) do the project on your current machine or b) get a Mac Pro c) not do it at all.

I cannot understand why you'd be "waiting" to do it on a "brand new Mac Pro 2.0" as opposed to not doing it at all???

Mind bottling, some of you....

ErikAndre
Nov 15, 2007, 04:29 PM
Is there any possibility that the Mac Pro wouldn't be updated by MWSF at the latest?
Honestly, it just doesn't sounds like apple to order nearly every chip intel has of this new processor, and indirectly claim that it will be amongst the first to release the new computer and show nothing for it while HP and others come out with the computers in Dec/Jan. :rolleyes:

ErikAndre
Nov 15, 2007, 04:34 PM
Serious question: what possible project could you afford to put on hold until a "new" computer comes out?

Don't you have clients who are wanting it done?
Aren't there any deadlines for this project?
Aren't you losing money by not finishing work?
Do you really think that an extra 5-10% speed boost is worth the wait?

What exactly is this project you have? Seems like you'd either just a) do the project on your current machine or b) get a Mac Pro c) not do it at all.

I cannot understand why you'd be "waiting" to do it on a "brand new Mac Pro 2.0" as opposed to not doing it at all???

Mind bottling, some of you....

Whoa, hold on there cheif...

I have four videos of four HD weddings that I've done as favors. It's projects I do on the side. They are not expecting anything till at least march so i have time. I currently have a PowerBook G4 (1.6ghz, 2gb ram). I just reached a stopping point about a week ago as the HD is skipping now and i can preview a thing.

So yes.. I am going to buy a mac pro, but not just weeks before a new one comes out.

G4DP
Nov 15, 2007, 04:46 PM
Well I finally bothered to do the customer feed back regarding the MacPro.

The acknowledgement when sent is so condescending:

Dear Customer:
Thank you for your feedback regarding the Mac Pro. We cannot respond to you personally, but please know that your message has been received and will be reviewed by the Mac Pro Feedback Team. If we need to follow up with you on your ideas for improving the Mac Pro, we will contact you directly.

We appreciate your assistance in making the Mac Pro a great computer.

Mac Pro Feedback Team
Apple

Talk about lying through there teeth.

I might bother to send an e-mails to jobsy tomorrow, see if I get recommended the Mini.

ksz
Nov 15, 2007, 10:06 PM

Apple is having a record breaking year both for profits and shareholder value (stock price).

The consumer level stuff is driving the insane profits right now, and they want to see how that levels off before tapping the huge pent up demand in the pro market.

If they release it now, all the pro sales go into this fiscal quarter, they an absolutely insane quarter and... then what? They won't be able to top themselves, the street (stocks again) analysts set unrealistic expectations they can't keep up with and BAM the stock gets hit.

Apple's number one concern is always (and should always) be for the shareholders, so by NOT releasing a Mac Pro yet, they protect their stock price for a longer term, more stable growth.
I think there is plenty of merit in this argument. In my speculative opinion Apple is going to defer announcement of the new Mac Pro to MacWorld 2008, but for several reasons:

1. Waiting for sufficient inventory, waiting for updated graphics cards/drivers, etc.

2. New Cinema Displays to complement the new Mac Pros. Probably one or both will be redesigned or at least tweaked in appearance. For instance, the current iMac is not so much a redesign as a tweak. Nevertheless, every redesigned or tweaked product in recent Apple history has had a press event of some sort. It's really late in the year for another press event.

Now the financial arguments:

1. In the most recent quarterly financial report, AAPL provided guidance of about $9 billion in revenue this quarter. They seemed quite optimistic. This means there is no financial pressure to release new Mac Pros or Cinema Displays right away.

2. Revenue from previous quarters can be deferred to subsequent quarters as a way of evening out quarter-to-quarter performance. While I'm not an expert in GAAP (generally accepted accounting practices), there's probably a fair bit of deferred revenue along with interest from investments and savings that will propel AAPL to a $9 billion quarter. So again no compelling financial need to release new high-end, but low-volume products at this time.

3. Jan-Mar quarter is often a low quarter in the cyclic computer industry so new models can certainly help generate new revenue during this time.

4. As Aiden Shaw has mentioned, Apple has announced Pro-level hardware at almost every other MacWorld for the past several years. MacWorld is NOT a purely consumer event.

darthraige
Nov 16, 2007, 08:28 AM
As Aiden Shaw has mentioned, Apple has announced Pro-level hardware at almost every other MacWorld for the past several years. MacWorld is NOT a purely consumer event.

Hopefully Apple doesn't go the route of... Fastest Desktop of the year, and fastest portable of the year at MWSF to balance it out. lol

Topper
Nov 16, 2007, 08:43 AM
I've only said this once or twice but I am worried that Apple is still going to manage somehow to give us crummy video cards in the next Mac Pro.
In October, nVidia came out with their 8800 GT video card which is performing way beyond expectations.
This month ATI came out with their HD 3870 and HD 3850 cards. I don't want them but beggars can't be choosers.
In December, nVidia is coming out with an 8800 GTS 640MB revision.
Rumor now has it that it may be built on a G92 chip.
Its possible that it's performance could surpass that of the 8800 GTX.
Anyway, I find the waiting just a little easier when I think that maybe just maybe the longer I wait the better the chance that the next Mac Pro will have a more powerful video card as bto.

mdntcallr
Nov 16, 2007, 09:19 AM
Wow, i had hoped to get a new MAC PRO or midsized tower. With Blu-Ray

And a new nice sized monitor that takes HDMI inputs with integrated speakers.

oh well.... the wait continues

-Noodles
Nov 16, 2007, 09:33 PM
I find the waiting just a little easier when I think that maybe just maybe the longer I wait the better the chance that the next Mac Pro will have a more powerful video card as bto.

Not to mention faster ram, bigger hard drive and a nicely redesigned case. Hopefully along with this comes thinner cinema displays with built in camera/mic. The only thing that could possible beat all this is if apple finally masters the simple problem of designing a mouse that doesn't suck.:rolleyes:

Topper
Nov 16, 2007, 10:11 PM
The only thing that could possible beat all this is if apple finally masters the simple problem of designing a mouse that doesn't suck.:rolleyes:

That's one worry I don't have. I use a Wacom tablet.

skyline r34
Nov 17, 2007, 01:54 PM
There is a chance that updated MacPro's are coming until MacWorld 2008 because if you goto alienware.com, there new 45nm QX9850 ALX is on sale now but won't arrive until January 1, 2008, so it may be a chance the MacPro are going to release at MacWorld 08, and I also hope Apple will release new Cinema Displays with built-in iSight, well we won't know anything until Apple release's their new line of display's and MacPro, I gues it's still a waiting game.

iW00t
Nov 17, 2007, 03:33 PM
I'm thinking MWSF now, as much as I hate that. I've heard it's going to be 45 days before Intel ships most of their Penryns. Even if the rumor is true about Apple buying a big chunk of the 3.2 bin, I don't think they would release the new line until they have the full range of processors available.

As for the cases, I doubt that, too. I'm betting they'll have a major redesign when Intel's next line, Nehalem, is ready in late '08 or early '09. Nehalem is a huge change in processor architecture, so it seems more likely to warrant a redesign from Apple.

And let the big bins of 3.2s sit there in their warehouses and depreciate right?

Lol, you are one idealistic one.

Freis968
Nov 17, 2007, 10:54 PM
I don't think Santa will let us down...;)

Topper
Nov 18, 2007, 07:21 AM
There is a chance that updated MacPro's are coming until MacWorld 2008 because if you goto alienware.com, there new 45nm QX9850 ALX is on sale now but won't arrive until January 1, 2008, so it may be a chance the MacPro are going to release at MacWorld 08, and I also hope Apple will release new Cinema Displays with built-in iSight, well we won't know anything until Apple release's their new line of display's and MacPro, I gues it's still a waiting game.

The QX9850 is a desktop (Yorkfield) chip.
The Mac Pro uses workstation (Harpertown) chips.

davewolfs
Nov 18, 2007, 10:19 AM
The fact that it has taken apple so damn long makes me wonder if its even worth buying a mac pro to begin with.

Not even a graphics card update is available!

skyline r34
Nov 18, 2007, 11:12 AM
The QX9850 is a desktop (Yorkfield) chip.
The Mac Pro uses workstation (Harpertown) chips.

I understand that but the point I was trying to make is that QX9850 is a Penryn's 45nm chip and it will be available on Jan.1,2008 and that's why I think the MacPro will be updated at MacWorld 2008.

snowleopard
Nov 18, 2007, 04:10 PM
Apple's number one concern is always (and should always) be for the shareholders

Not true. Well, partially true. Apple's number one concern should be to it's customers. For if you have no customers, you have poor sales, which causes shareholder losses. The "shareholders first at all cost" mentality has somewhat been left in the 1990's, aside from some holdover companies like Nike or GM. A lot of corporate shareholder mindsets, even in the tech world, are more and more based on stability. Apple is also a company run to an extent by a demi-god: Steve Jobs, whose genius is likely not often challenged by any board member or shareholder, at least not when push comes to shove, or without the doors being very tightly closed during such conversations. I mean, put yourself in the shoes of a major shareholder; would you attempt to make demands on him in a shareholder meeting? And could you back up such demands with any logic or computer-technology acumen to his face? Or would you have the guts to do so in public? I question whether anyone on the planet could, or would, aside from someone like Larry Ellison. Furthermore, when Apple and Jobs are likely to be pressured by shareholders, not only would it be subtle, it would be in times when profits stagnate with consistency, or business practices fail or are questionable by their peers. Something that isn't very common at Apple.

Sorry, big digression, I know. The thoughts though of taxes, or shareholder profits do play into decisions made by Apple's board, of course. But they are likely secondary to sales potential. If Apple thinks they can sell more by releasing pre-Christmas, they will. If they think MWSF is the time and place to announce, they will. Or if they think that waiting until June is the best time to maximize sales, they will. I'm still hoping by December, as it would benefit me, and my business. But MWSF would be acceptable at the latest. If nothing then, I might as well give up and stick to old G5's and spend my money elsewhere.

krunk
Nov 18, 2007, 05:34 PM
And let the big bins of 3.2s sit there in their warehouses and depreciate right?.

Apple's products don't depreciate. They just get old and outdated, but cost the same.

xgman
Nov 18, 2007, 05:58 PM
I understand that but the point I was trying to make is that QX9850 is a Penryn's 45nm chip and it will be available on Jan.1,2008 and that's why I think the MacPro will be updated at MacWorld 2008.

I currently have a custom PC with a Penryn QX9650 cpu in it. These Penryn chips are awesome. It's just too bad you can't overclock them on a mac like you can on a pc. I have mine running at 4800mhz here. I really wish they would configure a mac like this with a single quad Penryn. The performance would be awesome and the cost would be less that the dual setup they now offer.

xgman
Nov 18, 2007, 06:00 PM
The fact that it has taken apple so damn long makes me wonder if its even worth buying a mac pro to begin with.

Not even a graphics card update is available!

Yeah they need to do something about that as well. It's definitely worth waiting for the updates at this point.

Silverhawk
Nov 18, 2007, 10:02 PM
Like how everyone else is anxious for an updated Mac Pro, its always the last to be updated and due to the fact that its been over a year without a major change to it really makes me believe that this "next" Mac Pro will be a big change.

If its only going to be a CPU and GPU update, then it may satisfy most people but in my opinion, the style is looking stale so it would be nice if it gets a complete overhaul.

suneohair
Nov 19, 2007, 12:16 AM
Like how everyone else is anxious for an updated Mac Pro, its always the last to be updated and due to the fact that its been over a year without a major change to it really makes me believe that this "next" Mac Pro will be a big change.

If its only going to be a CPU and GPU update, then it may satisfy most people but in my opinion, the style is looking stale so it would be nice if it gets a complete overhaul.

I agree that is is stale. Be careful though, the traditionalists will grill you for thinking that ;)

Nightfall
Nov 19, 2007, 12:34 AM
Stale? Yeah s'pose. But change the cosmetics as long as it's not used as an excuse to jack the price!:(

suneohair
Nov 19, 2007, 12:43 AM
Stale? Yeah s'pose. But change the cosmetics as long as it's not used as an excuse to jack the price!:(

I don't think that has been the case historically.

Tallest Skil
Nov 19, 2007, 06:52 AM
I don't think that has been the case historically.

Ha! Case! It's a pun!....

I WANT NEW MAC PROS! *breaks down*

suneohair
Nov 19, 2007, 06:55 AM
Ha! Case! It's a pun!....

I WANT NEW MAC PROS! *breaks down*

It is coming.... in January! :eek:

Silverhawk
Nov 19, 2007, 09:44 AM
Don't get me wrong, the current Mac Pro/old G5 Power Mac def has its mark in style, it was sleek and had a neat front grill just like a car. But if you look at the rest of the Mac lineup, it looks out of style (yes I know its a professional machine). The insides of the Mac Pro is one of the cleanest and easiest to upgrade (if they can keep that sort of concept, that'd be great).

If anything lets make the case carbon fiber, update the front grill (treat it like a car), and of course keep those dual slot optical drives.

-Noodles
Nov 19, 2007, 10:36 AM
I agree that is is stale. Be careful though, the traditionalists will grill you for thinking that ;)

The case has remained the same for at least the last 3 maybe 4 years - time for a change. The case is and always will be considered a classic but that's hardly a reason for designers to be satisfied in not trying to make it better.

Jonny427
Nov 19, 2007, 01:20 PM
Take a look at the older apple stuff. I thought the Ti powerbook looked absolutely beautiful.. and when the aluminum PB came out I was blown away. Well not really, but my point is that even if the design looks great, apple will still redesign it.

Nightfall
Nov 19, 2007, 06:32 PM
Hmmm. Well yeah. Why not? Apples' motive .. more buyers - sure. It won't hurt us. Just bring on penryn and a blue ray with a better graphics card. ;)

zdobson
Nov 19, 2007, 06:44 PM
And let the big bins of 3.2s sit there in their warehouses and depreciate right?

Is there a faster chip than the 3.2 quad coming out in the next few months? If not, there's nothing that could cause depreciation.

HansG
Nov 20, 2007, 11:25 AM
Tomorrow is today. It's 9 o'clock in cuptertino and the store is still up. :(

Umbongo
Nov 20, 2007, 12:34 PM
Is there a faster chip than the 3.2 quad coming out in the next few months? If not, there's nothing that could cause depreciation.

Maybe. There has been talk of 3.4 GHz and 3.6 GHz being possible in the near future and I've seen speculation that they may even release up to 4 GHz before Nehalem takes over. The 3.2GHz processors are likely to hold their price until Nehalem comes anyway, so depreciation isn't really an issue.

TheThirdMan
Nov 20, 2007, 01:53 PM
I keep changing my mind between new (hopefully 8 core mp) and a cheap pc, with sli, quad core and 8gb ram for a grand....

Please come soon!

BornAgainMac
Nov 20, 2007, 03:25 PM
The current Mac Pros are still the fastest Macs on the planet that money can buy or your money back minus a 20% restocking fee.

-Noodles
Nov 20, 2007, 03:30 PM
Maybe. There has been talk of 3.4 GHz and 3.6 GHz being possible in the near future and I've seen speculation that they may even release up to 4 GHz before Nehalem takes over. The 3.2GHz processors are likely to hold their price until Nehalem comes anyway, so depreciation isn't really an issue.

...so macworld we should expect at least 3.2 with maybe the possibility of something higher? 3.4-3.6 sounds super nice :D

pankrastudio
Nov 21, 2007, 05:21 AM
Another idea how the new Mac Pro could fit into new apple line?

http://flickr.com/photos/pankrastudio/2052518990/
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2135/2052518990_f0aed09668_o.jpg

Tallest Skil
Nov 21, 2007, 05:48 AM
NO! Don't post stuff like that! His Jobsness will see it and scrap his current new design for something stupid that looks different enough from that to avoid copyright infringement, thereby making us wait longer! Why would you do such a thing?! Seriously, though, it seems to be a logical design, but there's no cooling. And don't think the two fans and iMac slats are enough, either. People are going to want to see a poeverful form of visible venting, otherwise most will get wary of heating issues.... But there is one last thing... just wishful thinking on my part, but perhaps two double wide PCIe slots. You know, for two 16x cards. Other than that, it's a beautiful and psuedo-logical mockup.

Also, posted from my Wii...

tjpeople
Nov 22, 2007, 05:56 AM
I can't wait for macworld. Going to buy my first mac, and it's gunna be pro. I'm hoping for a little price drop.

Anyone think they will make the lowest spec mac pro cheaper?

Brianstorm91
Dec 1, 2007, 10:31 AM
Another idea how the new Mac Pro could fit into new apple line?
*IMAGE*

That is NICE!
:eek:

Silverhawk
Dec 1, 2007, 02:53 PM
To tell ya the truth that design resembles a bit much of a Wii with its' base. But again its a nice concept but i think it'll be even more minimalist than that.

withuk
Dec 1, 2007, 03:28 PM
If the release date is at Macworld 2008, does anyone know if the new Mac Pro would be available in the UK at that time or is there usually a delay a on the hardware upadates like the iphone.

Umbongo
Dec 2, 2007, 02:46 AM
If the release date is at Macworld 2008, does anyone know if the new Mac Pro would be available in the UK at that time or is there usually a delay a on the hardware upadates like the iphone.

Same time.

sblasl
Dec 2, 2007, 10:30 AM
Leave the case as is, and put in the new stuff that really matters.:cool:

rockinrocker
Dec 2, 2007, 11:27 AM
Leave the case as is, and put in the new stuff that really matters.:cool:

amen to that one.

mcc
Dec 2, 2007, 11:43 AM
I bought my PowerMac G5 in December 2005 because I thought that Apple would take 12 to 18 months to replace the PowerPC processors with Xeon processors. Six months later, Apple surprised me with the Mac Pro. Darn!

I still have my multi processor AMD system, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. that I use to run Windows XP and SUSE Linux sitting next to the PowerMac G5. I discovered, to my chagrin, that it would take a major upgrade to the system to be able to share the Apple Cinema Display, keyboard, and mouse.

I have put up with spousal complaints and been waiting a year for an upgrade to the Mac Pro. I guess I can wait another month and a half.

Jebaloo
Dec 2, 2007, 11:48 AM
My Powerbook broke in February, and so I purchased a MacBook as a tide-me-over.

It's been a temporary solution for way too long now.

I'm waiting for the new MacPro, and am assuming that the 18 month sabbatical will result in a new design for both MacPro and Cinema Displays.