PDA

View Full Version : can i leave my iPod shuffle on the dock while computer off?

jonnos
Nov 15, 2007, 05:00 AM
can i leave my iPod shuffle on the dock while computer off without damaging it?

coz when i leave a usb portable harddrive on and computer is off it makes weird sounds coz its not powering it up properly.

thanks!

jonnos
Nov 21, 2007, 09:32 AM
nothing?
doesnt anyone one know?

TEG
Nov 21, 2007, 10:32 AM
I don't believe there would be a problem with this. If you are worried, use a powered USB hub in between your computer and your devices, that way their power input would be independent of the computer's status.

TEG

apb3
Nov 21, 2007, 11:22 AM
A quick google search yielded this top result:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4327608

and others.

I personally have had issues with other iPods and devices left attached when the computer does, or is able to, sleep. The above thread highlights one issue (and the thread starter's personality flaw(s). Check out the other hits on the same search ("leave ipod attached when computer is sleeping" or some derivation thereof) on apple's discussion site and/or google. There are many.

Hope this is of some help.

jonnos
Nov 25, 2007, 02:03 AM
is sleeping thesame thing as the computer turned off? i never used the sleeping keyword i was bothered to search just wasnt using the right keywords. :D but that for that mate!

apb3
Nov 25, 2007, 12:57 PM
is sleeping thesame thing as the computer turned off? i never used the sleeping keyword i was bothered to search just wasnt using the right keywords. :D but that for that mate!

No, sleep and power down are not the same thing.

Anyway, did any of those search results address your problem or answer your specific question? If so, post it so others can benefit. I'm curious too!

jonnos
Nov 26, 2007, 03:06 AM
well thats the only thing that ive read that has said not to leave the shuffle on its dock even while sleeping so i guess if the computer if turned off its a no no. i just leave my shuffle on the dock but not plugged in. just standing on it.

Fuchal
Nov 26, 2007, 08:30 AM
It should not be a problem at all.