Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
Sydney, Australia
can i leave my iPod shuffle on the dock while computer off without damaging it?

coz when i leave a usb portable harddrive on and computer is off it makes weird sounds coz its not powering it up properly.

thanks!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I don't believe there would be a problem with this. If you are worried, use a powered USB hub in between your computer and your devices, that way their power input would be independent of the computer's status.

TEG

apb3

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
but...

A quick google search yielded this top result:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4327608

and others.

I personally have had issues with other iPods and devices left attached when the computer does, or is able to, sleep. The above thread highlights one issue (and the thread starter's personality flaw(s). Check out the other hits on the same search ("leave ipod attached when computer is sleeping" or some derivation thereof) on apple's discussion site and/or google. There are many.

Hope this is of some help.

jonnos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
Sydney, Australia
is sleeping thesame thing as the computer turned off? i never used the sleeping keyword i was bothered to search just wasnt using the right keywords. :D but that for that mate!

apb3

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
is sleeping thesame thing as the computer turned off? i never used the sleeping keyword i was bothered to search just wasnt using the right keywords. :D but that for that mate!

No, sleep and power down are not the same thing.

Anyway, did any of those search results address your problem or answer your specific question? If so, post it so others can benefit. I'm curious too!

jonnos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
Sydney, Australia
well thats the only thing that ive read that has said not to leave the shuffle on its dock even while sleeping so i guess if the computer if turned off its a no no. i just leave my shuffle on the dock but not plugged in. just standing on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.