Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
I know, I know - they just re-released the new g4 laptops. Anyone care to take a gander and when the g5's will be arriving?

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i think everyone's sick to death of the G5 PowerBook stuff, but i'm just going to say it'd be about 6 months until the next PowerBook revision. but i'm not even sure if the next reivsion will be a G5... who knows what Apple has planned? :confused:

Stojamow

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2003
London
G5 in January ?!? Possibly.

One thing we must remember in my opinion is that the 1.25Ghz and the 1.33Ghz processors did exist in desktops & Xserve before we found them in the laptops.

If they can put a 1.33 in the laptop - why not a 1.42 straight away? I think Steve wants to keep one possible G4 update in his pocket before the G5 is released in a notebook.

I assume that we might see a one more speed bump just before christmas with the G4's and sooner or later in 2004 G5 appears in PB's

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
I doubt January, I think January will bring G5 Xserves. G5 PB's probably mid-year.

One thing we must remember in my opinion is that the 1.25Ghz and the 1.33Ghz processors did exist in desktops & Xserve before we found them in the laptops.

If they can put a 1.33 in the laptop - why not a 1.42 straight away? I think Steve wants to keep one possible G4 update in his pocket before the G5 is released in a notebook.
I don't think the processors for the Xserves and Powermacs are the same as the power books, maybe the imacs are the same but they just got a speed boost.

Stojamow

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2003
London
I Agree. What I meant is a processor with a such speed exist & it is realistic to think that it would appear to PB's sooner or later

When you wrote about XServe the plan become clear for me:

In January: Xserve G5

In January: Powermac 2,5Ghz ?

in June: Powerbook G5

In June Powermac 3Ghz ?

That's how they do it and it will be a great triumph for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.