PDA

View Full Version : Now...wireless displays?

pinks
Sep 19, 2003, 06:57 AM
OK... so now we have wireless keyboards, mice, internet, networking (printing, etc.) what are the obstacles in the way of developing wireless monitors/flat-panel displays?

Surely, the cable between the computer base and the display is the final chain that needs to be broken (apart, of course, from power-supply) before we can have a truly wireless office or home computing environment.

Thoughts/reactions?

Al

tomf87
Sep 19, 2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by pinks
OK... so now we have wireless keyboards, mice, internet, networking (printing, etc.) what are the obstacles in the way of developing wireless monitors/flat-panel displays?

Surely, the cable between the computer base and the display is the final chain that needs to be broken (apart, of course, from power-supply) before we can have a truly wireless office or home computing environment.

Thoughts/reactions?

Al

Better have one fast wireless connection and since those usually involve some sort of satellite transmission, I would venture to say the cable will stay.

I read an article on speed of data over TV lines. They stated that for an average non-HDTV signal, it consumed over 26Mbps for a screen. Increase the action/speed on the screen and it jumped even higher.

saabmp3
Sep 19, 2003, 10:04 AM
I think the problem with wireless displays right now is that if you actually look at the data rate in a DVI monitor cable (in a MB/s rate) it's crazy. I've heard that it reaches gig's a second at high res, fast refresh. Basically, were going to have to wait a little longer until a bluetooth like protocol comes out that can handle something like this.

BEN

TEG
Sep 19, 2003, 10:27 AM
Didn't Viewsonic come out with a removable Screen in one of their recient models. You could pick up the screen and walk with it like a tablet, then return it to the base and use it like a regular screen. And yes, there was a seperate computer, it was not a tablet PC. I heard that it was even suppossed to be Mac compatible, then it just dissappeared.

TEG

ScottDodson
Sep 19, 2003, 10:46 AM
Oh yeah, Viewsonic does have a wireless display out...and it hasn't really disappeared. You can get them at CompUSA. Battery life is only 4hrs, but has a built in usb, mic, speaker, and audio jack. Kinda a cool little monitor if you ask me....but I don't know if I could give up the mouse and keyboard just yet....suppose you could put a hub in that one usb port :rolleyes:

Wireless Monitor (http://www.viewsonic.com/products/airpanel_airpanel100.htm)

LimeLite
Sep 19, 2003, 11:33 AM
What's the point really? If it's wireless, it's got to be battery powered, so since you need a cable for power, might as well have a cable to the computer. Not *everything* should be wireless, especially not until we start finding out what effect all these radio waves are going to have on us.

strider42
Sep 19, 2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by LimeLite
What's the point really? If it's wireless, it's got to be battery powered, so since you need a cable for power, might as well have a cable to the computer. Not *everything* should be wireless, especially not until we start finding out what effect all these radio waves are going to have on us.

makes you think apple really had a good idea with the ADC connector that uses one cable for power, video and USB. Too bad they haven't been able to get other manufacturers to use the same connector. I wonder if they've even tried.