Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Col127

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Greetings,

I've read a lot that people are buying products to protect the screen from the keyboard? What's that all about? Do you know if that's necessary in the new 12" PBs? I'll be putting my 12" in a Brain Cell (from Tom Bihn) & sticking that in my backpack, so I'm not sure how much pressure will be on the lid of the top.

What are your thoughts on this? And what about products like the iSKin for notebook keyboards? Anyone use these?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Re: Is protecting the screen of a 12" necessary?

Originally posted by Col127
Greetings,

I've read a lot that people are buying products to protect the screen from the keyboard? What's that all about? Do you know if that's necessary in the new 12" PBs? I'll be putting my 12" in a Brain Cell (from Tom Bihn) & sticking that in my backpack, so I'm not sure how much pressure will be on the lid of the top.

What are your thoughts on this? And what about products like the iSKin for notebook keyboards? Anyone use these?

-Col127

There is a lot of clearance between the flush-mount keyboard, and the countersunk screen surface, and about thre mm gap on top of it.

If you supply the 12PB with enough force to make the screen meet the keyboard - you'll likely crack the screen. Don't worry about it.

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
col - The iSkin for keyboards is great for the iBook. I am not so sure about the 12" PB though (different style of keyboard).

I know a guy that uses a piece of felt cut to fit size/shape of his PB keyboard to keep his keys from rubbing screen. Cost him $2 at a craft store. Go for the thinnest felt you can find, if you decide to go that route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.