PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the factory screen protector on?

casjohnr
Nov 16, 2007, 02:07 PM
I opened my iPhone and noticed it has a extra plastic sheet over the screen area in addition to the outer layer.

Can I leave this on and just cut the tab off?

shrewsburywolf
Nov 16, 2007, 02:13 PM
You can if you really want, you will need to make holes for the ear piece to hear people...

THE JUICEMAN
Nov 16, 2007, 02:17 PM
i would say no, dont leave it on. its not worth your time to cut holes out for it. plus it was very tacky from what i can remember and it seems like it would interfere a little with the touch screen operations.......just pick up a power support crystal film its by far the best way to go for screen protection

michaelsviews
Nov 16, 2007, 02:23 PM
I opened my iPhone and noticed it has a extra plastic sheet over the screen area in addition to the outer layer.

Can I leave this on and just cut the tab off?

Go back to the Apple store and get there protecters they come in Crystal Clear and Anti Glare, there in a Green package and work on Static electricity not adhesives, there great and work really well. 15 bucks for 2. Everyone I know that has the iPod touch or iPhone uses these

The name of the company that is being sold at the local apple store is " Power Support " or u can goto the www.powersupportUSA.com web site and see what I am referring too.

Consultant
Nov 16, 2007, 02:26 PM
In rare cases, the factory plastic sheet may interfere with pressing of the home button.

It also makes your screen not as precise as intended.

In other words, remove it.

Redneck1089
Nov 16, 2007, 02:31 PM
I left mine on until I got the invisible shield. I just cut the tab off at the bottom of the screen and poked holes in the ear piece with a pin so I could hear. It worked fine. I never had any trouble with pressing the home button either.

taylor200588
Nov 16, 2007, 03:50 PM
i took mine off but wish i left it on

but today i went into poundland (yes everything really is 1) and got a pack of screen protectors, got home and CAREFULLY put it on my iPhone and using a stanley knife i cut round the edges and holes. I must say i did a pretty good job :)

michaelsviews
Nov 16, 2007, 04:57 PM
I left mine on until I got the invisible shield. I just cut the tab off at the bottom of the screen and poked holes in the ear piece with a pin so I could hear. It worked fine. I never had any trouble with pressing the home button either.

Thats a Redneck for ya :D

I'm sorry after reading your post and your name I just had to say something

Hudzilla
Nov 17, 2007, 07:31 AM
Why would you want to leave it on???

these people that think theyve got to protect things with their life make me laugh, just take what needs to be taken off and use the thing!!!

Theres always the warranty or just get a case, enjoy it instead of worrying about scratches or breakages, whatever happens, happens!!!

Ahhh rant over!

nickspohn
Nov 17, 2007, 07:56 AM
http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,545-page,1-bid,0/video.html

coolg35748
Nov 17, 2007, 08:38 AM
Well I don't have the iPhone yet. Once I get it I will remove the film and put a protective case on my phone. Or atleast a screen cover.

Gonzlobo
Nov 17, 2007, 09:17 AM
Take it off. The screen doesn't scratch.

PuppyLuv
Nov 17, 2007, 10:12 AM
Take it off. The screen doesn't scratch.
There have been cases of it scratching in peoples pockets with nothing else in there.

Hudzilla
Nov 17, 2007, 10:55 AM
There have been cases of it scratching in peoples pockets with nothing else in there.

Damn those phantom iPhone scratchers!!!

WTF?????

devilot
Nov 17, 2007, 10:59 AM
I left mine on until I got my shield for it (from BSE). But it's annoying leaving it on-- yes, it obstructs the sound. And yes, it makes it more difficult to press the home button. It's always such a relief when I finally take that packaging off (I've had 3 iPhones).

Hudzilla
Nov 17, 2007, 11:04 AM
I left mine on until I got my shield for it (from BSE). But it's annoying leaving it on-- yes, it obstructs the sound. And yes, it makes it more difficult to press the home button. It's always such a relief when I finally take that packaging off (I've had 3 iPhones).

Am i just lucky to have got one on the 9th without any issues with the screen or is it the minority making a big sound, because im getting the impression if you got a iphone on the 9th and it works your lucky?!?!?

arkitect
Nov 17, 2007, 11:09 AM
Am i just lucky to have got one on the 9th without any issues with the screen or is it the minority making a big sound, because im getting the impression if you got a iphone on the 9th and it works your lucky?!?!?

I agree. Reading all the complaints all I can say is I must have great luck. I queued up, Apple sales guy picked an iPhone off a huge stack of them, I paid… and well it is flawless. No deadpixels, no dodgy blackness… no problems.

I'm off to buy some Lotto tickets methinks. :D
Mind you, I have had great "luck" with all my Apple products. They all just seem to work. What is wrong with me?

Or, a case of a minority making a lot of noise… hummmmm… I wonder… :rolleyes: ;)

devilot
Nov 17, 2007, 11:10 AM
Pardon?
The OP asked if the factory, plastic wrap gets in the way.

I, and others, happen to think yes, it does. Go back to the first two months the iPhone launched; plenty of posts where people complain of too-quiet volume then sheepishly admit that they'd not removed the plastic wrapping and that that's what hindered the sound.

How on Earth does that translate into a minority moaning about iPhone issues? :confused:

Hudzilla
Nov 17, 2007, 11:14 AM
How on Earth does that translate into a minority moaning about iPhone issues? :confused:

No, no, i didnt mean it like that, i just wondered if there is a known problem with all iPhones, or is it just luck as to which phone you get thats all.

devilot
Nov 17, 2007, 11:18 AM
No, no, i didnt mean it like that, i just wondered if there is a known problem with all iPhones, or is it just luck as to which phone you get thats all.Um, well, then start a different thread as that's OT.

To the OP, again, to answer your question, I would NOT leave the factory plastic on "forever" but as a temporary solution if you were going to use a different protector/ shield.

Otherwise? I'd just say 'f' it and use the phone nekkid.

Gonzlobo
Nov 17, 2007, 01:24 PM

Think about what you just wrote. It doesn't make sense.

PuppyLuv
Nov 17, 2007, 01:53 PM
Damn those phantom iPhone scratchers!!!

WTF?????
Think about what you just wrote. It doesn't make sense.

Then maybe you should re-read it.. let me break it down for you.

People have put the iPhone into their pockets with nothing else in there (I.E. Keys) and its been scratching. From what I've heard something as small as a grain of sand in your pocket can scratch it, while people going over the screen with a razor can't. There have been several posts about it on this forum.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4409516&postcount=14

Now do you understand or do I need to break it down more?

CD3660
Nov 17, 2007, 03:07 PM
No, I suspect that you're an average Apple customer!

samuraikiss
Nov 21, 2007, 11:59 PM
I've just left it on until I buy a screen protector. I always have the headphones in anyway, so it doesn't make a difference. But the Home key is almost impossible to press.

tdhurst
Nov 22, 2007, 12:12 AM

How many? I've never heard such a thing. The original Nanos, yes, but not the iPhone.

Take the plastic off, man.

GoCubsGo
Nov 22, 2007, 12:24 AM
but today i went into poundland Sorry but that sounds so damn cute!

vanmacguy
Nov 22, 2007, 01:50 AM
Sorry but that sounds so damn cute!

Or rude?

uneducated dave
Nov 22, 2007, 11:13 AM
How many? I've never heard such a thing. The original Nanos, yes, but not the iPhone.

it's happened to me. i have had my iphone for less than two weeks, and always carry it in an empty pocket. i have no idea how, but a small scratch has already appeared on the screen.

fortunately, it's only visible at a certain angle, and you have to know exactly what you're looking for, but it's definitely there. i'm not taking any more chances so have just ordered some power support crystal film from the apple store.

PuppyLuv
Nov 22, 2007, 11:23 AM

I already replied to that here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4508214&postcount=22

Gonzlobo
Nov 22, 2007, 12:33 PM

If there's nothing in your pocket, there's nothing there to scratch the iphone's screen. Trying to rationalize your point makes you look stupid.

TurboSC
Nov 22, 2007, 02:23 PM
Then maybe you should re-read it.. let me break it down for you.

People have put the iPhone into their pockets with nothing else in there (I.E. Keys) and its been scratching. From what I've heard something as small as a grain of sand in your pocket can scratch it, while people going over the screen with a razor can't. There have been several posts about it on this forum.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4409516&postcount=14

well it's pretty clear you should probably keep your iPhone in an airtight jar. Anything less would result in a scratch.

I've had my iPhone since launch day, put a BSE full iPhone skin on it, and I've put it on desks, put it in my pocket, everything, and I haven't had a single scratch whatsoever.

there's no sense in babying it to the point where you're afraid to use your own phone. Just be smart and be careful.

PuppyLuv
Nov 22, 2007, 10:00 PM
If there's nothing in your pocket, there's nothing there to scratch the iphone's screen. Trying to rationalize your point makes you look stupid.

Did you even read my post? I feel like I'm in a room with Kindergarteners. As stated something as small as a grain of sand can scratch it, if theres no grain of sand IT WONT GET SCRATCHED. I've seen several posts on that. Don't even talk to me if your going to be like that.