PDA

View Full Version : why are apple screwing european purchasers.

i_wolf
Sep 19, 2003, 08:39 PM
Why is it devices like the new keyboard and mouse are more expensive in europe than in the states. 69 in american dollars and 79 euro in europe. First of all you have to consider that the euro is trading much higher than the dollar. 1 euro is 1.13770 dollars.
So can anyone tell me, how and why european customers are going to be charged differently. what justifies that we have to pay more than the american euivalent.
Prices in my opinion should be standard. Personally speaking i will not be buying from apple europe these new blue tooth mouse and keyboard. i will buy from the states. where even after shipping i will save myself the difference in money.
Apple if you want to increase your market share in europe which is fastly becoming eroded, i suggest that you treat european customers with the same importance that you treat american customers.

Daveman Deluxe
Sep 19, 2003, 08:49 PM
It most likely is due to customs and tariffs. That's my guess, at least. I'm free to be wrong.

vollspacken
Sep 19, 2003, 08:59 PM
damn, you are so right!!!

I think it's insane that prices are so high on this side of the atlantic, without a reason... price discrimination is one thing, but this simply can't be justified IMO.

what I did:
I bought my tiBook, my Airport Extreme base station and my Digigram audio-interface while in the US and saved about 1/3rd of the German price...

if I want to buy an iPod I simply paypal one of my friends the money and he will buy it for me at an online store... easy as that, APPLE!!!

but, it does not stop at electronics, I usually order some of my clothing from the US too (X-Large, Spiewak, Threadless, Alpha Industries, US Army Camo... stuff on eBay...) all this stuff is much cheaper than over here (including shipping!!!), that I'm not willing to spend 50 euros more over here on a simple Alpha snorkel parka... (as I said, including shipping!!!)

I'll buy it anyway, and in the age of the universally informed customer (hello, anyone say internet???), no one has to buy such things over here... (of course there are other things that are cheaper here, groceries and beer for example, European clothing brands like Energie or G-Star too...)

vSpacken

vollspacken
Sep 19, 2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
It most likely is due to customs and tariffs. That's my guess, at least. I'm free to be wrong.

I'm sure you are wrong, customs and tarrifs are relatively low... for example, customs and tarrifs do not justify a price difference between $170,- (equals about 150,- Euros) and 220,- Euros over here in Germany for this jacket (http://www.alphaindustries.com/airsupply/product_display.aspx?l=00140015000000000000&p=AA101231&k=00140015000000000000&pn=2). I ordered this item from the US and payed $200,- (equals 177,- Euros) and this INCLUDES 4-7 day shipping via airplane... this means I saved 43,- Euros or $48,-

you can argue if that coat is worth it or not, but the price difference is just crazy (o.k., I know about the sizing so I don't take a risk, but that's not the point here)

as I said, "price discimination" (producers carge different prices on different markets) is one thing, but it's not o.k. to this extend (and to the extend in Apple's case, just check the prices at the German Apple Store (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/germanstore/))

vSpacken

Mr. MacPhisto
Sep 19, 2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by vollspacken
I'm sure you are wrong, customs and tarrifs are relatively low... for example, customs and tarrifs do not justify a price difference between $170,- (equals about 150,- Euros) and 220,- Euros over here in Germany for this jacket (http://www.alphaindustries.com/airsupply/product_display.aspx?l=00140015000000000000&p=AA101231&k=00140015000000000000&pn=2). I ordered this item from the US and payed $200,- (equals 177,- Euros) and this INCLUDES 4-7 day shipping via airplane... this means I saved 43,- Euros or $48,-

you can argue if that coat is worth it or not, but the price difference is just crazy (o.k., I know about the sizing so I don't take a risk, but that's not the point here)

as I said, "price discimination" (producers carge different prices on different markets) is one thing, but it's not o.k. to this extend (and to the extend in Apple's case, just check the prices at the German Apple Store (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/germanstore/))

vSpacken

If I recall, it is the fault of the European nations and the US - not Apple computer. Apple products get whacked with a US sales tax of around 7% when they go to Europe and then also get nailed with tariffs and any sales tax. Remember this, US listed prices are not necessarily what is paid. If I want to buy a $69 Bluetooth mouse from Apple I must also pay a 7% sales tax because of where I live - so my price is $73.83. Not close to the European price, but thos taxes are just part of it. Also, you must include added shipping and distribution cost as well as additional cost to run tech support, etc in Europe and you see why it costs more.

Europe as a whole is a far more expensive place to live than the US is. The cost for doing business there is higher and any legal issues can be nightmares. This all contributes to the higher cost.

So it's not price discrimination, per se. If you want lower prices then talk to your government about lowering taxes and tariffs, making it cheaper for a company like Apple to operate and do business there, and ask your country to put pressure on the US for freer trade (which ain't gonna happen because of precedent).

Of course, I believe Americans have to pay more for VWs, Mercedes, BMWs, etc. Granted, they are not the only providers of vehicles, but it is just how it works.

Schiffi
Sep 19, 2003, 11:06 PM
As I recall it was about $20 in shipping for a DVD from Germany to the US, so about $40 for the DVD.

VegetaPunk
Sep 20, 2003, 12:36 AM
I was tired and posted something stupid, my apologies.

Stojamow
Sep 20, 2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by vollspacken
damn, you are so right!!!

I think it's insane that prices are so high on this side of the atlantic, without a reason... price discrimination is one thing, but this simply can't be justified IMO.

vSpacken

Yeah ! Come to Scandinavia and you will learn that we pay double prices for many electronic products compared to your prices and many people are ordering their stuff from Germany - thanks to EU

OKComputer
Sep 20, 2003, 09:43 AM
on the same note why are birkenstocks so expensive in the states and dirt cheap in Germany

Doraemon
Sep 20, 2003, 10:00 AM
It's all about taxes.
Just like Mr. MacPhisto already posted. It's not Apple's fault.

CmdrLaForge
Sep 20, 2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by i_wolf
Why is it devices like the new keyboard and mouse are more expensive in europe than in the states. 69 in american dollars and 79 euro in europe. First of all you have to consider that the euro is trading much higher than the dollar. 1 euro is 1.13770 dollars.
So can anyone tell me, how and why european customers are going to be charged differently. what justifies that we have to pay more than the american euivalent.
Prices in my opinion should be standard. Personally speaking i will not be buying from apple europe these new blue tooth mouse and keyboard. i will buy from the states. where even after shipping i will save myself the difference in money.
Apple if you want to increase your market share in europe which is fastly becoming eroded, i suggest that you treat european customers with the same importance that you treat american customers.

Hi,

thats a great idea - buying from Apple in the US. But the question is "HOW ?"

An airline ticket would increase the price in a way that you haven't saved anything. And they are not shipping to europe. Or - if you now a dealer - let me know. The price differnce is just not acceptable.

I am not sure how much taxes play a role here. E.g. I think Apple hast to pay taxes when they are shifting there profits back to the US. That could be one part of the differnces. Its really difficult to tell

Cheers

ftaok
Sep 20, 2003, 12:31 PM
Do you realize that the prices quoted on the US Apple Store do not include Sales Tax? This can result in an additional cost of up to 8.5% or so, depending on what state you live in.

Most European countries (if not all) require retailers to list their prices with the VAT included. That can account for a 20% difference.

For example

PB15 Combo in the US costs $2000.

In France, the PB15 Combo costs 2400Euro, but that includes a 19.6% VAT. If you factor out the VAT, you're looking at about 2000Euro.

At the current conversion rate, the French are paying 14% more. Normally, the Dollar and the Euro should trade at parity. You can't fault Apple for the current strength of the Euro vs. the Dollar.

All in all, Apple's prices are rather fair for Europeans.