PDA

View Full Version : Sharing One Monitor - Mac and PC?

triton
Sep 21, 2003, 12:32 PM
Is there any easy way to connect a Mac and PC to one VGA monitor? - Without singal/color degradation?

THX in advance!

laurim
Sep 21, 2003, 01:01 PM
My setup has a 17" monitor that the pc normally uses and a 21" monitor my mac is normally on. I wanted to allow my pc to switch to the 21" monitor for Director and PowerPoint work. Sharing two monitors with two computers requires two switchboxes. At setting AA, it's pc/17 and mac/21, at BB, it's pc/21 and mac/off. I can't get the mac to show up on the 17" monitor because it requires an adapter that I don't want to use for the 21".

In short, you need a switchbox with monitor ports to switch the monitor between the pc and mac. I picked mine up at the local computer parts fair because places like CompUsa and Best Buy didn't carry a monitor switchbox. You can probably find one online for less than $20.

G5orbust
Sep 21, 2003, 01:07 PM
KVM swtich will allow: two computers, 1 monitor, 1 keyboard and 1 mouse.

Very handy.

A monitor swtich will work as well .

gotohamish
Sep 21, 2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by triton
Is there any easy way to connect a Mac and PC to one VGA monitor? - Without singal/color degradation?

THX in advance!

The aforementioned KVM switch will do the trick - however it might not be necessary. I have a Sony TFT 17" X72 (I think) - and it has 2 DVI inputs, so you could get DVI-->VGA converters, hook it up to two computers, then I just hit the switch button on the front. I've seen this on Formac monitors too (CRT ones).

H

rhpenguin
Sep 21, 2003, 06:17 PM
KVM switch as already said and a logitech keyboad.. That way you can still have your apple only keys.

Thats what i have going on at home.