PDA

View Full Version : Very delayed G5 1.6 shipment...what to do?


oingoboingo
Sep 22, 2003, 07:13 AM
I ordered a 1.6GHz G5 from the Australian Apple Store on the 10th of July. The estimated shipping date was 'On or before 09/01/2003'. It's now the 22nd of September, and still no sign of the thing shipping. Several calls to Apple have yielded nothing more than continuarlly shifting promises of 'It'll ship in a few days', or 'next week at the latest!'.

This is getting very frustrating, especially seeing as a number of Sydney Apple retailers have ample 1.6 and 1.8 G5 systems in stock at the moment...I could literally walk into a store and walk out with a new 1.6 G5 under my arm with no wait. Does anyone have any advice on what to pursue next? Should I attempt to cancel my order at the Apple Store? The terms and conditions for the Australian Apple Store state that if any order has not shipped within 30 days of the 'Order Confirmed' notice being issued, then the purchaser is entitled to a full refund.

I'm worried that the longer I get strung along by Apple (and it could be weeks more...they're already 3 weeks past their estimated shipping date, without explanation), the closer we all get to Rev B G5s, and speed bumps. What was the point of ordering so early if I have to wait weeks longer than retail customers?

Any advice, or tips on how to speed Apple along from anyone who has been in this situation with the Apple Store (particularly the Australian one) would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Mat.

OKComputer
Sep 22, 2003, 07:46 AM
cancel your order and walk into the sydney store

Golem
Sep 22, 2003, 08:26 AM
Check you can actually get 1 first. As far as I know they have demo stock but nothing you can walk out the door with same day and at least you are at the top of the qeue

My information is a week out of date but cant be to far wrong. Even the big stores have back orders ie Apple Taylor square is supposed to have delivered 20 and have 90 on back order. According to apple channel services they did not have a date for their next shipment and had back orders of 700+ 1.6's and no 2 ghz machines had come in to country. They were hopeing to get the backlog cleared in a month.

Mind you I ordered my 15'' pbook and checked how long a 1.6 is supposed to take in Apple store Australia and it said 1-2 days. Considering the pbook says 4-6 days I am not sure how long I will be waiting as I now have both on order:(

oingoboingo
Sep 22, 2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Golem
Check you can actually get 1 first. As far as I know they have demo stock but nothing you can walk out the door with same day and at least you are at the top of the qeue

Golem, I was at AppleCentre Broadway (corner Paramatta Rd and Glebe Pt. Rd) on Saturday, and they claimed to have retail stock of both 1.6 and 1.8 systems. Don't know how much of it though. Also out of interest, they were willing to knock about $100 off the price for cash. Don't know if anyone else has been able to get any special deals or discounts on G5s in Sydney...but I'd appreciate it if they did if they could write it up here.

Golem
Sep 22, 2003, 10:34 PM
Ahh. I used to shop ay Broadway pre-buzzle ,15 minutes walk away then. But their service and level of technical knowledge went from good to junk and their games section didnt have a single game published in the past year so I have never been back. 30 Minutes to pay for a $10 usb adaptor because they had a storeful of customers and 2! Staff.


Still they had to have improved since they are still in business:) and if they can sell you a machine quicker and cheaper then apple then go for it.

Hmm wonder we they are getting their boxes from as I heard another reseller not mentioned previously had a few 1.6 and 1.8 to sell to clients but not enough that even the boss cant get 1 on his desk yet.

PowerBookMan
Oct 13, 2003, 08:44 AM
If you want a great deal on PowerMac G5's, then call 02 9332 8600.

The guys at AppleCentre TaylorSquare will give you a great deal, and have the 1.6, 1.8 and 2Ghz in stock.

Call and chat.

oingoboingo
Oct 14, 2003, 06:35 AM
Thanks PowerBookMan, but my 1.6 G5 finally arrived on the 24th of September, and was sent back to Apple on the 30th of September as a DOA. After waiting all that time, the Mac which finally shows up crashed and froze constantly, and Apple DOA'ed it. The replacement G5 should be here on the 20th of October (just in time for me to pay for the Panther upgrade rather than having it pre-installed).

This is my first Apple-purchase experience, and to be honest, will probably be my last...at least direct from Apple anyway.

PowerBookMan
Oct 14, 2003, 08:38 AM
If you have all the DOA paperwork, I can replace your machine on the spot. If you would like to give me a call at AppleCentre TaylorSquare, I shall process your DOA paperwork, and give you your replacement machine immedately.

You do not have to wait for Apple to allocate you stock.

Give me a call, 02 9332 8600

BENJAMIN MORGAN
AppleCentre TaylorSquare

oingoboingo
Oct 14, 2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by PowerBookMan
If you have all the DOA paperwork, I can replace your machine on the spot. If you would like to give me a call at AppleCentre TaylorSquare, I shall process your DOA paperwork, and give you your replacement machine immedately.

You do not have to wait for Apple to allocate you stock.

Give me a call, 02 9332 8600

BENJAMIN MORGAN
AppleCentre TaylorSquare

Thanks for the offer Ben, but the G5 was returned (via AppleCentre Broadway) to Apple the week before last. The machine was a BTO 1.6GHz system (Radeon 9600, Combo drive, no modem), hence the wait from Apple to replace it.

Or can you deal with a quick-turnaround replacement BTO system?

Thanks,
Mat.