PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 3... Best Games?

Benjamindaines
Nov 22, 2007, 03:49 PM
I am looking to get a PS3 but I don't know what game I should get for it. Keep in mind that I will probably be getting the 40GB one (If I can't find the 60GB somewhere) so there will be no PS2 compatibility.

So far I want...

Resistance: Fall of Man
Unreal Tournament III
Heavenly Sword
Gran Turismo HD
Assassin's Creed
Guitar Hero 3
Orange Box (Portal)

Is there anything you would add to my list or change about it (maybe some crap games that are listed that I should be steered away from?)? Also is Call of Duty 4 any good? I have heard mixed things.

--Thanks!

Oh yeah, what games do you have / really enjoy and are hopelessly addicted to?

psychofreak
Nov 22, 2007, 03:55 PM
Heavenly sword is quite repetitive, its just not worth getting if you've got those others...

Brianstorm91
Nov 22, 2007, 03:59 PM
Ratchet And Clank!

spyker3292
Nov 22, 2007, 05:54 PM
uncharted looks good, and warhawk. But I don't own a ps3

sikkinixx
Nov 22, 2007, 06:26 PM
I am looking to get a PS3 but I don't know what game I should get for it. Keep in mind that I will probably be getting the 40GB one (If I can't find the 60GB somewhere) so there will be no PS2 compatibility.

So far I want...

Resistance: Fall of Man
Unreal Tournament III
Heavenly Sword
Gran Turismo HD
Assassin's Creed
Guitar Hero 3
Orange Box (Portal)

Resistance is fun and a very solid game (particularly as it is a launch title), but I would only buy if you can find cheap as frankly, CoD4 blows it out of the water (except in Single-player length)

UTIII is supposed to be coming out this Dec, 11th I believe and previews have said it runs smooth and looks damn purdy, the PC mods will help it a lot too.

GT:HD isn't around anymore I don't think BUT the GT5:Prologue demo may still be on the Japanese PSN and it is sweet and free :D

Heavenly Sword is fun, I beat it twice then traded it in. Honestly, I would rent it.

GHIII is good, for the 360 anyway which is what I have, I heard the PS3 version runs great BUT beware, no Co-op Quick Play as of yet since Red Octane seems to have M$ moneyhats ;):p

Orange Box looks dicey after 1upYours said it was running 'meh' then I read this just now http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/11/22/ps3-orange-box-the-slideshow-version/

And AC no comment, haven't played it.

I would look into Ratchet and Clank as it's a really solid, fun action platformer. Uncharted is great, very movie like and CoD4 is ****ing sweet.

And buy Warhawk if you are into multiplayer at all, it is superb for $40 and suits any type of gaming style you like (driving/foot combat/air/sniping/whatever)

Benjamindaines
Nov 22, 2007, 06:35 PM
Resistance is fun and a very solid game (particularly as it is a launch title), but I would only buy if you can find cheap as frankly, CoD4 blows it out of the water (except in Single-player length)

UTIII is supposed to be coming out this Dec, 11th I believe and previews have said it runs smooth and looks damn purdy, the PC mods will help it a lot too.

GT:HD isn't around anymore I don't think BUT the GT5:Prologue demo may still be on the Japanese PSN and it is sweet and free :D

Heavenly Sword is fun, I beat it twice then traded it in. Honestly, I would rent it.

GHIII is good, for the 360 anyway which is what I have, I heard the PS3 version runs great BUT beware, no Co-op Quick Play as of yet since Red Octane seems to have M$ moneyhats ;):p

Orange Box looks dicey after 1upYours said it was running 'meh' then I read this just now http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/11/22/ps3-orange-box-the-slideshow-version/

And AC no comment, haven't played it.

I would look into Ratchet and Clank as it's a really solid, fun action platformer. Uncharted is great, very movie like and CoD4 is ****ing sweet.

And buy Warhawk if you are into multiplayer at all, it is superb for $40 and suits any type of gaming style you like (driving/foot combat/air/sniping/whatever)

Wow, thanks for all that. I just read the PS3 Fanboy article and they said Portal runs just fine (which is what I want Orange Box for) so it's all good.

Seems like my list is looking like this now:

Resistance
Call of Duty 4 (?)
Unreal Tournament 3
Guitar Hero 3
Orange Box
Ratchet and Clank
Uncharted
Warhawk

I'm thinking with Uncharted and Call of Duty 4, I should get one or the other. And I probably won't get Warhawk right away, maybe in a couple months or so.

I still need a good racing game, any advice?

Rovias
Nov 22, 2007, 06:58 PM
Wow, thanks for all that. I just read the PS3 Fanboy article and they said Portal runs just fine (which is what I want Orange Box for) so it's all good.

Seems like my list is looking like this now:

Resistance
Call of Duty 4 (?)
Unreal Tournament 3
Guitar Hero 3
Orange Box
Ratchet and Clank
Uncharted
Warhawk

I'm thinking with Uncharted and Call of Duty 4, I should get one or the other. And I probably won't get Warhawk right away, maybe in a couple months or so.

I still need a good racing game, any advice?

Wait for Burnout Paradise. It's going to be awesome.

You could also wait for Gran Turismo 5, but it'll take longer.

Benjamindaines
Nov 22, 2007, 07:00 PM
Wait for Burnout Paradise. It's going to be awesome.

You could also wait for Gran Turismo 5, but it'll take longer.

What about Need for Speed: Pro Street?

Maldini
Nov 22, 2007, 08:05 PM

the review (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/needforspeed/review.html?sid=6182845) here says its not that good ..
"ProStreet is a solid racing game, but it's missing most of what made the previous games in the series interesting"

get Assassin's Creed its one of the best..
I also find the simpsons really entertaining..i like walking around springfield just to hear those one liners :D maybe i'm just a big simpsons fan ;)

2nyRiggz
Nov 22, 2007, 09:56 PM
I agree with SK on COD4 multiplayer being the best going around right now...Rfom is great and a lot of people are still jaming online(a whole lot) but COD4 is the top gun for online multiplayer.

RnC...great platforming/humor

Uncharted...smart and intense gunfights/AI with some good old fashion platforming.

Warhawk....if you are looking for that online multiplayer thats takes advantage of Land, Air & Sea(soon I think) battle ground then this title is a must have.

Oblivion...if you like long arse role playing games with LOTS to do.

Heavenly Sword....beat em up and take names later...its very fun.

Eye of Judgment....if you like the card game stuff....oh and it comes with the PSeye.

Folksoul....if you dig action games with an RPG twist.

HAZE....this title I know little about but I'm very interested in it and it could be the next RFom(online multiplayer wise)

It was a beautiful August-November for me thats for sure.

Bless

spyker3292
Nov 22, 2007, 10:20 PM

The local Best Buy near me has GT HD concept on the demo station, they seem to have a lot of demoes installed, like RnC and stuff. UT3 looks amazing and IGN gave the PC version a 9/10. All the other games I left in the quote look great.

Burnout looks a lot better, I'd wait for it. And GT5 looks sweet, but that's a long way away.

Pants Dragon
Nov 22, 2007, 10:31 PM
I'll echo all the people mentioning Ratchet and Clank. It is a very very good game.

spyker3292
Nov 22, 2007, 10:33 PM
I'll echo all the people mentioning Ratchet and Clank. It is a very very good game.

I tried the demo, it was good and it looked great. Of coarse I love all the RC games, that's actually why I'm getting a ps3... along with other reasons.

MacRumorUser
Nov 23, 2007, 06:20 AM
Folklore
Oblivion
Ratchet & Clank
Uncharted

Would be on that list of games for me.

Heavenly sword is a definite rent / value for money

gkarris
Nov 23, 2007, 09:49 AM

I was wondering - I heard that Valve is a heavy PC developer and didn't really like PS3 development. So it follows that the XB360 or PC version would be the one to get.

Though, I thought I did hear that Sony is working with them to optimize it for the Cell Processor. It'll probably be safer to get the XB360 version...

Sony's got some other great stuff coming out anyways to keep you busy.

sikkinixx
Nov 23, 2007, 06:25 PM
I was wondering - I heard that Valve is a heavy PC developer and didn't really like PS3 development. So it follows that the XB360 or PC version would be the one to get.

Though, I thought I did hear that Sony is working with them to optimize it for the Cell Processor. It'll probably be safer to get the XB360 version...

Sony's got some other great stuff coming out anyways to keep you busy.

Problem is Gabe from Valve hates... well everything. PS3, 360, Vista, probably even his mom. The guy really pisses me off which is a shame because his studio certainly kicks a ton of ass. Apparently he wants every PC game ever on Steam one day. It would be sweet sinc Steam kicks ass (no tax in USD for me :D)

But anyway, the 360 version seems like the much safer bet although HL2 is apprently just a (halfassed) port from the xbox version which is a bit of a shame. But achievement whores will blow their load over the 99 achievements.

2nyRiggz
Nov 29, 2007, 05:39 PM
Problem is Gabe from Valve hates...

This guy:rolleyes:...half life is a great series but this guy just doesn't like ANYTHING thats not PC. I'm staying far away from Orange box on the PS3...I can just smell the stink coming from that port.

UT3 is this December and my last purchase of the year.....should be worth a buy.

Bless

Benjamindaines
Dec 10, 2007, 07:11 PM
What's the best racing game that's out now?

risc
Dec 10, 2007, 11:33 PM

Dirt

Benjamindaines
Dec 11, 2007, 05:51 AM
Dirt

looks pretty good but I am looking for more of a street racing game with single player mode as well as arcade style multiplayer mode. Like Project Gotham.

MacRumorUser
Dec 11, 2007, 06:27 AM
looks pretty good but I am looking for more of a street racing game with single player mode as well as arcade style multiplayer mode. Like Project Gotham.

Not sure there is anything like that on PS3 yet.

You could try F1 racing and Pro Street Racing or maybe Juiced 2

asxtb
Dec 11, 2007, 07:51 AM
It's not necessarily the best, but NFS: Carbon just went 'EA Best Hits.' I just picked it up for $25. It's at least cheap enough to hold you over until something else better comes along.

I've enjoyed it so far. I love the 'Free Run' part of the game. Just drive around the city accepting challenges and out running the cops. :D

Markleshark
Dec 11, 2007, 11:39 AM
Dirt

I was going to suggest that. Epic.

... On the 360 anyway. ;)

Vigilante
Dec 12, 2007, 10:21 AM
Like he said above, do NOT get Heavenly Sword. The average player that takes their time beats the game in four (4) hours.

Antares
Dec 12, 2007, 10:51 AM
Orange Box is probably a must buy...which I'm going to be picking up soon.

zero2dash
Dec 12, 2007, 11:17 AM
COD4 is the top gun for online multiplayer.

Yep, CoD4 is uber-solid. Best FPS of the year bar none.

HAZE

Yeah, Haze has been a pretty obscure/'unknown' but since seeing the commercial that features a few seconds of gameplay...Haze looks like it will be sweet. Plus it's Free Radical, the geniuses behind Time Splitters, so yeah...must buy for me (once I finally get my Ps3 next year). ;)

Curren~Sea
Dec 12, 2007, 11:20 AM
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is the must have game for the PS3. I would venture to say it will be the PS3 game of the year for 2007.

AJsAWiz
Dec 12, 2007, 12:50 PM
PAIN from the Playstation Store!

Check out a review here:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/pain/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review
:D

jaw04005
Dec 12, 2007, 12:52 PM
SingStar with SingStore (if you're in the UK)!

Errrrr, ahh did I just admit that?

Zwhaler
Dec 24, 2007, 04:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

Not to be judgemental towards single player only games like Uncharted, Assassins Creed and the like, but I would personally not spend my money on buying those games
because of the typical lossof interest once you beat them. It would be smart to rent those, and instead invest in games with online/split screen capabilities like COD4 and Resistance :) that's just my opinion (excluding Oblivion though, that one is a must buy).

Chone
Dec 24, 2007, 05:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

Not to be judgemental towards single player only games like Uncharted, Assassins Creed and the like, but I would personally not spend my money on buying those games
because of the typical lossof interest once you beat them. It would be smart to rent those, and instead invest in games with online/split screen capabilities like COD4 and Resistance :) that's just my opinion (excluding Oblivion though, that one is a must buy).

If everyone did that then developers would stop earning money for their great single-player games and all we would have would be multiplayer games that while great, are not replacement for a good single player romp from time totime.

Besides, some games are way too big to beat in a rental and there is always the fact that you can play them anytime you want if you desire a few years down the line.

Best PlayStation 3 game? Well Ratchet & Clank is nice and Uncharted is pretty good as well, if you haven't played it though, you should grab Symphony of The Night from the Playstation Store.

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 24, 2007, 05:14 PM
Best PS3 game? Jumping Flash 2. Big Trouble In Little Muu.

Hands down.

Zwhaler
Dec 24, 2007, 05:47 PM
If everyone did that then developers would stop earning money for their great single-player games and all we would have would be multiplayer games that while great, are not replacement for a good single player romp from time totime.

Besides, some games are way too big to beat in a rental and there is always the fact that you can play them anytime you want if you desire a few years down the line.

Best PlayStation 3 game? Well Ratchet & Clank is nice and Uncharted is pretty good as well, if you haven't played it though, you should grab Symphony of The Night from the Playstation Store.

I like your reasoning, and I agree that many single player games are fully worth it to pay 60$ for the ability to play whenever you like (back in the N64 days this was all I did), but from a spending point of view and also coming from a typically less than casual gamer, I prefer to invest in such a way that maximizes value for what I spend, but this applies to the minority of the gaming population, and I agree that supporting very well made single player games is a good idea, and will remain commonplace. I am just forced a little bit to be somewhat of a tightwad after engaging in this reasoning for many years, and for many many hundreds of dollars :)

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 24, 2007, 05:54 PM
Some people play console games because they want a "quick fix". Sometimes you just want to save the world, or even just punch Hehachi in the face a couple times. But not play on an incredibly difficult level, or invest huge amounts of time into it.

With online games - some of the fun factor is taken away by the hard-core players. I mean, I don't mind playing COD4 - but getting smoked every 12 seconds by 13 year olds who play 24-7 who do nothing but swear into the mics - gets old fast. So to the casual player, it isn't much fun, and lets face it - many of us don't have the time to "power level" in order to compete with them.

Chone
Dec 25, 2007, 11:51 PM
Some people play console games because they want a "quick fix". Sometimes you just want to save the world, or even just punch Hehachi in the face a couple times. But not play on an incredibly difficult level, or invest huge amounts of time into it.

With online games - some of the fun factor is taken away by the hard-core players. I mean, I don't mind playing COD4 - but getting smoked every 12 seconds by 13 year olds who play 24-7 who do nothing but swear into the mics - gets old fast. So to the casual player, it isn't much fun, and lets face it - many of us don't have the time to "power level" in order to compete with them.

Yeah that can really be annoying, the only game I could really get into online for a long time was Warcraft III but even then I had to browse forums and play constantly to even be able to maintain a 50% record... don't get me wrong, it was fun for me (otherwise I wouldn't have done it) but such competitiveness is too much to handle and sometimes you feel like you are on an e-sport competition and not just relaxing to have fun.

That is why I prefer playing with actual people on LAN parties or with multiple controllers on the same console, it is not only more entertaining, it's also darn funny as well. The only benefit online has is convenience but that's it.

MacRumorUser
Dec 26, 2007, 03:41 AM
Best PS3 game? Jumping Flash 2. Big Trouble In Little Muu.

Hands down.

Jumping Flash 2 is out ? Runs to the PSN.....

How come we never got a Jumping Flash sequel on ps2.?

2nyRiggz
Dec 26, 2007, 12:34 PM

Exactly...no matter how short that game is I will not sit there for 8 hours and finish it....I rather play it for two hours then rest my brain on it and play another game.

I never really get the "short" thing....It takes me at least couple of days to beat a game because I pace myself and look for everything I could find...I guess its just me then.

Online play is always a good thing(FPS) but some games don't require it and I will still purchase the game no matter the length.

Bless

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 26, 2007, 06:11 PM
Jumping Flash 2 is out ? Runs to the PSN.....

How come we never got a Jumping Flash sequel on ps2.?

I played it on my PS3 - but it was a PS1 game. :D

I wish there was another sequel, that series was "different" - and thats what made it very fun.

irmongoose
Dec 26, 2007, 06:18 PM
It's not out yet, but Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to rock. I really am having a hard time just thinking it, I want to play it that badly.

irmongoose

MacRumorUser
Dec 26, 2007, 06:21 PM
I played it on my PS3 - but it was a PS1 game. :D

I wish there was another sequel, that series was "different" - and thats what made it very fun.

You bloody tease :p

But yeah one of the best games I've played were both JF games.

Dagless
Dec 26, 2007, 07:17 PM
I've ripped both JF1 and 2 for my PSP. Jumping Flash, Loaded, Battle Arena Toshinden were the first games we played on a PS1 and stuck with us :) I'd buy a new JF for PSP if one was ever made. *HINT*

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 26, 2007, 07:54 PM
I've ripped both JF1 and 2 for my PSP. Jumping Flash, Loaded, Battle Arena Toshinden were the first games we played on a PS1 and stuck with us :) I'd buy a new JF for PSP if one was ever made. *HINT*

YES, YES and YES!

I loved Battle Arena - I had 1 and 2 - with 3 they got kinda weiiird so I never bought it. I still maintain it is the ONLY true 3d fighter out there.

And tack on Wipeout, Air Combat and the original Warhawk. (the new one is NOTHING like the original - and that's bad)

Sorry for the hijack - just can't sit on my hands when some of the all-time PSX greats are being talked about. :)