Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
I am looking to get a PS3 but I don't know what game I should get for it. Keep in mind that I will probably be getting the 40GB one (If I can't find the 60GB somewhere) so there will be no PS2 compatibility.

So far I want...
  • Resistance: Fall of Man
  • Unreal Tournament III
  • Heavenly Sword
  • Gran Turismo HD
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Guitar Hero 3
  • Orange Box (Portal)

Is there anything you would add to my list or change about it (maybe some crap games that are listed that I should be steered away from?)? Also is Call of Duty 4 any good? I have heard mixed things.

--Thanks!

Oh yeah, what games do you have / really enjoy and are hopelessly addicted to?

Retired
May 16, 2006
Heavenly sword is quite repetitive, its just not worth getting if you've got those others...

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I am looking to get a PS3 but I don't know what game I should get for it. Keep in mind that I will probably be getting the 40GB one (If I can't find the 60GB somewhere) so there will be no PS2 compatibility.

So far I want...
  • Resistance: Fall of Man
  • Unreal Tournament III
  • Heavenly Sword
  • Gran Turismo HD
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Guitar Hero 3
  • Orange Box (Portal)

Resistance is fun and a very solid game (particularly as it is a launch title), but I would only buy if you can find cheap as frankly, CoD4 blows it out of the water (except in Single-player length)

UTIII is supposed to be coming out this Dec, 11th I believe and previews have said it runs smooth and looks damn purdy, the PC mods will help it a lot too.

GT:HD isn't around anymore I don't think BUT the GT5:prologue demo may still be on the Japanese PSN and it is sweet and free :D

Heavenly Sword is fun, I beat it twice then traded it in. Honestly, I would rent it.

GHIII is good, for the 360 anyway which is what I have, I heard the PS3 version runs great BUT beware, no Co-op Quick Play as of yet since Red Octane seems to have M$ moneyhats ;):p

Orange Box looks dicey after 1upYours said it was running 'meh' then I read this just now http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/11/22/ps3-orange-box-the-slideshow-version/

And AC no comment, haven't played it.

I would look into Ratchet and Clank as it's a really solid, fun action platformer. Uncharted is great, very movie like and CoD4 is ****ing sweet.

And buy Warhawk if you are into multiplayer at all, it is superb for $40 and suits any type of gaming style you like (driving/foot combat/air/sniping/whatever)

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Resistance is fun and a very solid game (particularly as it is a launch title), but I would only buy if you can find cheap as frankly, CoD4 blows it out of the water (except in Single-player length)

UTIII is supposed to be coming out this Dec, 11th I believe and previews have said it runs smooth and looks damn purdy, the PC mods will help it a lot too.

GT:HD isn't around anymore I don't think BUT the GT5:prologue demo may still be on the Japanese PSN and it is sweet and free :D

Heavenly Sword is fun, I beat it twice then traded it in. Honestly, I would rent it.

GHIII is good, for the 360 anyway which is what I have, I heard the PS3 version runs great BUT beware, no Co-op Quick Play as of yet since Red Octane seems to have M$ moneyhats ;):p

Orange Box looks dicey after 1upYours said it was running 'meh' then I read this just now http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/11/22/ps3-orange-box-the-slideshow-version/

And AC no comment, haven't played it.

I would look into Ratchet and Clank as it's a really solid, fun action platformer. Uncharted is great, very movie like and CoD4 is ****ing sweet.

And buy Warhawk if you are into multiplayer at all, it is superb for $40 and suits any type of gaming style you like (driving/foot combat/air/sniping/whatever)

Wow, thanks for all that. I just read the PS3 Fanboy article and they said Portal runs just fine (which is what I want Orange Box for) so it's all good.

Seems like my list is looking like this now:

• Resistance
  • Call of Duty 4 (?)
  • Unreal Tournament 3
  • Guitar Hero 3
  • Orange Box
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Uncharted
  • Warhawk

I'm thinking with Uncharted and Call of Duty 4, I should get one or the other. And I probably won't get Warhawk right away, maybe in a couple months or so.

I still need a good racing game, any advice?

Rovias

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2005
Wow, thanks for all that. I just read the PS3 Fanboy article and they said Portal runs just fine (which is what I want Orange Box for) so it's all good.

Seems like my list is looking like this now:

• Resistance
  • Call of Duty 4 (?)
  • Unreal Tournament 3
  • Guitar Hero 3
  • Orange Box
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Uncharted
  • Warhawk

I'm thinking with Uncharted and Call of Duty 4, I should get one or the other. And I probably won't get Warhawk right away, maybe in a couple months or so.

I still need a good racing game, any advice?

Wait for Burnout Paradise. It's going to be awesome.

You could also wait for Gran Turismo 5, but it'll take longer.

Maldini

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2007
Riyadh
What about Need for Speed: Pro Street?

the review here says its not that good ..
"ProStreet is a solid racing game, but it's missing most of what made the previous games in the series interesting"

get Assassin's Creed its one of the best..
I also find the simpsons really entertaining..i like walking around springfield just to hear those one liners :D maybe i'm just a big simpsons fan ;)

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I agree with SK on COD4 multiplayer being the best going around right now...Rfom is great and a lot of people are still jaming online(a whole lot) but COD4 is the top gun for online multiplayer.

RnC...great platforming/humor

Uncharted...smart and intense gunfights/AI with some good old fashion platforming.

Warhawk....if you are looking for that online multiplayer thats takes advantage of Land, Air & Sea(soon I think) battle ground then this title is a must have.

Oblivion...if you like long arse role playing games with LOTS to do.

Heavenly Sword....beat em up and take names later...its very fun.

Eye of Judgment....if you like the card game stuff....oh and it comes with the PSeye.

Folksoul....if you dig action games with an RPG twist.

HAZE....this title I know little about but I'm very interested in it and it could be the next RFom(online multiplayer wise)

It was a beautiful August-November for me thats for sure.

Bless

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan

The local Best Buy near me has GT HD concept on the demo station, they seem to have a lot of demoes installed, like RnC and stuff. UT3 looks amazing and IGN gave the PC version a 9/10. All the other games I left in the quote look great.

What about Need for Speed: Pro Street?

Burnout looks a lot better, I'd wait for it. And GT5 looks sweet, but that's a long way away.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Folklore
Oblivion
Ratchet & Clank
Uncharted

Would be on that list of games for me.

Heavenly sword is a definite rent / value for money

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

I was wondering - I heard that Valve is a heavy PC developer and didn't really like PS3 development. So it follows that the XB360 or PC version would be the one to get.

Though, I thought I did hear that Sony is working with them to optimize it for the Cell Processor. It'll probably be safer to get the XB360 version...

Sony's got some other great stuff coming out anyways to keep you busy.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I was wondering - I heard that Valve is a heavy PC developer and didn't really like PS3 development. So it follows that the XB360 or PC version would be the one to get.

Though, I thought I did hear that Sony is working with them to optimize it for the Cell Processor. It'll probably be safer to get the XB360 version...

Sony's got some other great stuff coming out anyways to keep you busy.

Problem is Gabe from Valve hates... well everything. PS3, 360, Vista, probably even his mom. The guy really pisses me off which is a shame because his studio certainly kicks a ton of ass. Apparently he wants every PC game ever on Steam one day. It would be sweet sinc Steam kicks ass (no tax in USD for me :D)

But anyway, the 360 version seems like the much safer bet although HL2 is apprently just a (halfassed) port from the xbox version which is a bit of a shame. But achievement whores will blow their load over the 99 achievements.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
looks pretty good but I am looking for more of a street racing game with single player mode as well as arcade style multiplayer mode. Like Project Gotham.

Not sure there is anything like that on PS3 yet.

You could try F1 racing and Pro Street Racing or maybe Juiced 2

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
What's the best racing game that's out now?
It's not necessarily the best, but NFS: Carbon just went 'EA Best Hits.' I just picked it up for $25. It's at least cheap enough to hold you over until something else better comes along.

I've enjoyed it so far. I love the 'Free Run' part of the game. Just drive around the city accepting challenges and out running the cops. :D

Vigilante

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2007
Florida.
Like he said above, do NOT get Heavenly Sword. The average player that takes their time beats the game in four (4) hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.