PDA

View Full Version : Do I need an antivirus on VMware????

Grfelix
Nov 24, 2007, 03:18 PM
Hey guys, im a new mac user, so i have practically no experience using mac, I recently installed windows XP home edition on my mac through VMware Fusion and it work correctly, the only question I have is... Do I need to worry enough about viruses while using Windows on VMware?, and what antivirus and antispyware is recommended to install??...

Thanks.

CanadaRAM
Nov 24, 2007, 03:19 PM
If it's Windows, yes

I use AVG. Avoid Norton

flopticalcube
Nov 24, 2007, 03:20 PM
Yes you do. avast and AVG are 2 good free ones.

psychofreak
Nov 24, 2007, 03:20 PM
Viruses will affect the Windows installation if it gets them, but not the Mac side, I recommend AVG Free and Ad-aware :)

vicious7
Nov 25, 2007, 12:38 AM
Cool. AVG seems to work fine. Thanks for the tip.

akadmon
Nov 26, 2007, 11:51 AM
Most major ISPs give you Antivirus/firewall software for "free" (I know I know - the cost is probably passed on to the user as part of the monthly bill). Comcast has a deal with McAfee.

XxYami-kunxX
Dec 27, 2009, 05:18 PM
Yes you do. avast and AVG are 2 good free ones.

Are they actually reliable and safe, or will I get more protection with McAfee:confused:

joudbren
Dec 27, 2009, 05:39 PM
Just download the new Security Essentials from Microsoft. Free Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware and it's been getting rave reviews across the web. It's very light on system resources and has a phenomenal detection engine. I've dumped both Avast and AVG now for Security Essentials on all my systems running Windows. It doesn't nag you either to upgrade to the "bigger/better" version.... only one version available from MS and it's totally free.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us

Cheers!

James