Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Many of you have heard of this camera before, it's Pentax's top of the line D200/30 and 40D slayer. It's Frame rate is a little slower than those but the rest is dead even.

This camera has been the exclusive camera of Benjamin Kanarek http://www.benjaminkanarek.com for all his published commercial work and has also been used by many other professionals. It originally streeted for $1,000 but the price has dropped significantly since the announcement that there will be a new series of Pentax bodies in January.

B&H and Buydig both have this camera and kit lens right now for a price that will let you get the camera for $519 after the mail in rebate. I have used Pentax's rebate system a few times now and they are very fast getting your rebate to you.

Just thought I'd throw that out there incase anyone was looking into this camera or trying to decide on a DSLR.

SLC

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
Wow. That's a really good price. I bought the K10D relatively soon after it debuted, and I paid about $900 with the 18-55mm kit lens. I suppose I could have waited another 9 months to grab it at this price, but then I would've missed out on using it during a Paris vacation and my daughter's birth. So to me it was worth the tradeoff. At least, that's what I'll keep telling myself...

For anyone interested in this camera, it's worth it to pick up the 1.4/50mm Pentax lens at the same time. I've taken some effortlessly great shots with that lens.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
oHHH, Great price. I might want to pick one of these up in the future. I might wait a year or so though.
New Pentax cameras this january??????
YAY!!!!

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Yeah I gladly paid $999 for mine, but at this price I may have to get a backup. And I also recommend the 50 mm F/1.4 lens, it's probably the best 50 mm prime ever created, and it's fairly inexpensive (as far as ultra-high quality lenses go).

Pentax is supposed to have a press conference on I think January 28th to announce their answer to the D300. It is also speculated that there will be an upgrade to the low-end DSLR's ie: K100D and K100D super, and a boatload of new lenses. I've never seen this kind of excitement coming from both Pentax insiders and the Pentax reps themselves so I'm expecting it to be big.

SLC

mattwe

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Could you post a direct link, I could only find it for $599 AR on B&H and $611.58 on buydig.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm not sure what happened, it was only yesterday that the announcement was made at Pentax forums.

I'll do some digging, and get back to you.

SLC

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
For me, I love the size of the K100D. I own the GX-1S. which is like the K110D.

If they upgraded the K100D so that it has a BATTERY PACK instead of crappy AA's, I would gladly buy it. I owned it once, and returned it because the battery life is garbage. The GX-1S has a little better battery life because it doesnt have I.S.

Anyways, if they did that, and heck even through in any other cool features, I would be on it like butter on toast.

Other wise, I may have to get the k10d, even though its a bit bigger and more money, its an awesome camera, maybe a little more advanced for my needs currently.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I hate AA's with cameras.
Lithium battery packs FTW.

AA's just dont work as well for digital cameras, there to much stuff that sucks the battery dry to fast.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm a fan of the rechargeable batteries that come with the K10D and other similar DSLR's, but being able to jump into any retail location and get replacements should my batteries go dead would be really nice too.

I've had a few shoots where I nearly went through both batteries on the K10D.

SLC

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
There are 2900 mAh NiMH rechargeable batteries if the camera can't take CR-V3 Li-Ion.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I'm a fan of the rechargeable batteries that come with the K10D and other similar DSLR's, but being able to jump into any retail location and get replacements should my batteries go dead would be really nice too.

I've had a few shoots where I nearly went through both batteries on the K10D.

SLC

the K10D comes with 2 rechargable batteries? sweet

Im using 2200mah NiMh batteries, and i hate it. I like battery packs wayyyyy better.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Oh. Ya, thats what I would do, get a spare battery pack.

as for rumours of a more advanced camera than the K10D, you can count me out of that lol. The K10D is already way more than I would need. Like I said, im hoping they revamp the K100D to maybe something like 8MP, a battery pack, and i would be willing to grab that in a heart beat. Even if it stays at 6.3MP, and has a battery pack id be thrilled.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Not quite sure what all this talk of AA's is about since the K10D has a rechargeable pack ;)

Right now, my K110D is using rechargeable AA's, but here was a big saver for me and why I LOVE that it can take AA's... My friend and I drove a ways at night to get some night overview shots of my hometown. We got up there and ... uh oh. He forgot his battery pack on the charger. DAMN! So we went all the way back to his house to get them. One time we went to the Twin Cities a couple weeks later and the same thing happened to me. Batteries on the charger! But no worries, I walked into a gas station and walked out with batteries and shot all day without having to make a trip back into town just for a battery...

I wish the cameras would have the ability to run either or. Like the battery pack was the size of 2AA's and you could slide it right in there or slide in some batteries. Then you could have either of the problems I just explained and have no problem walking into a gas station and saving your day.

The K10D is a super nice camera, I wish I had the spare change to pick it up! If it were summer I sure would have that kind of money and would certainly look into buying it, but while I'm at school and making roughly $50 a week, it's tough to find camera money!:(

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
If you would read up, i was saying that I hope the update for the K100D has a battery pack instead of AA's.

My battery pack would always be in my back pack, so im not worried about forgetting it. Battery packs get like 2x the life of AA's. Way more convenient

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I love my K10D. Awesome camera. Anyone interested in a dSLR... this is your chance.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
Battery packs >> AAs

The vertical grip on my 20D came with a converter thing so you can use 6 AAs. I've used it a grand total of zero times.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
Why are battery packs better than AAs? Do battery packs last longer?

In my limited experience, they do. I had an Olympus C4000Z that ran on four AA batteries. I'd get about a day's worth of shooting. With the battery pack on the K10D, I just recharged a pack after a month of casual shooting.

No, I'm not a big fan of the proprietary battery packs, but when you get this much life out of them, and when there are (less expensive) generic replacements available as with the K10D, I really can't complain.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You're comparing two very different cameras using very different technology, and released at very different times.

Why would four NiMH AA batteries, which have like 2500 mAh or something, not last as long as battery packs? Is it because Li-Ion is better? I always thought that cameras were high-drain devices, and NiMH were high drain because the power is used in bursts. :confused: I guess NiMH have "memory" while Li-Ion doesn't, but still.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
You're comparing two very different cameras using very different technology, and released at very different times.

I know. Which is why I said limited experience. Maybe I should have italicized and bolded it and added "subjective" and "relative" to boot.

If we ever get a K100D Super, I'll be able to do a more appropriate comparison between AA and battery pack. But after coming from my C-4000Z (aka the Battery Gobbler) I'm continually amazed by my K10D's battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.