PDA

View Full Version : Apple Acknowledges Reports Of MacBook Hard Drive Failures

MacRumors
Nov 26, 2007, 09:43 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has acknowledged to InformationWeek that it has received reports of MacBook hard drive failures and is looking into the problem (http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=4IJ2MYTAJMRCSQSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=204203468).

Seagate was not immediately available for comment, but Apple spokesman Cameron Craig said the company was aware that there might be a problem. "We've received a few reports that some MacBook consumer notebooks may have hard drive issues, and we're looking into it," he said.

UK data recovery firm Retrodata earlier this month discovered a flaw (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/06/data-loss-vulnerabilities-discovered/) in the some hard drives employed in Apple's MacBook and MacBook Pro computers. The firm's analysis at that time had indicated that Seagate hard disks in the models with firmware 7.01 were unusually prone to read/write head failures that caused physical gouges in the hard drive platter, making recovery impossible.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/26/apple-acknowledges-reports-of-macbook-hard-drive-failures/)

schalliol
Nov 26, 2007, 09:47 PM
Since Apple is acknowledging this, I sure hope that we get either an extended warranty or offer for replacement. My MBP has a drive that fits in this group, though it seems to work now. It's out of warranty and I'd rather not foot the bill if it fails prematurely.

cornopaez
Nov 26, 2007, 09:50 PM
Does anyone know if there are particular simptoms of this kind of failure? Or is it maybe just kind of random... and puff! all the info is gone. :confused:

thingamajigidid
Nov 26, 2007, 09:50 PM
Since Apple is acknowledging this, I sure hope that we get either an extended warranty or offer for replacement. My MBP has a drive that fits in this group, though it seems to work now. It's out of warranty and I'd rather not foot the bill if it fails prematurely.

if i were you i wouldn't wait till it failed to get it replaced...
not sure what apple is planning on doing right now... but i would take my computer in.. be like.. look i am not planning on waiting till my information is gone because of the hard-drive.. i rather you guys fix it now.. then play the waiting game..

but hey.. backup drives are always cheap now a days. just incase..

coumerelli
Nov 26, 2007, 09:53 PM

It's not (quite) ready for Leopard (should be in the next couple/few weeks?), but if you want a super simple solution for keeping your data 'safe' from absolute catastrophe then SuperDuper! (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html) is your answer.

But, yeah, I'd also like to have a dependable replacement drive if I were in that group. :eek:

macomposer
Nov 26, 2007, 09:53 PM
I've had a dead one sitting on my desk for a few months, and I bought another drive to replace it because I was out of warranty. I hope they do an exchange program so I can send that paperweight in for a new drive!

lanray
Nov 26, 2007, 09:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

my friend works at a school where a lot of Macbook drives have failed. I'm not sure if Apple has covered them, though I'd be surprised if they didn't. It's for sure an issue for them.

diehldun
Nov 26, 2007, 09:59 PM
sorry, i'm a little unfamiliar with this issue (I have a MBP), but is there any way to tell which MB (or MBP?!?) is affected? I just want to make sure all the photos on my mom's MB aren't in jeopardy...

I am glad, though, that (it seems) Apple is addressing this

n00basaur
Nov 26, 2007, 09:59 PM
How do I check to see if my hard drive has the firmware number in the op?

GSMiller
Nov 26, 2007, 10:03 PM
How do I check to see if my hard drive has the firmware number in the op?

I'm wondering this too. My friend just bought a MacBook and I'd like to see if she's affected.

schalliol
Nov 26, 2007, 10:07 PM
not sure what apple is planning on doing right now... but i would take my computer in.. be like.. look i am not planning on waiting till my information is gone because of the hard-drive.. i rather you guys fix it now.. then play the waiting game..

I've got Time Machine going, as well as other backups, so I'm not really worried about losing data, but I am worried about downtime. If there's an option of replacing it before it fails, I would be interested in doing that. However, I don't plan on taking the time to drop by a store and ask an Apple employee to do something that I'm sure they're not authorized to do.

gutefahrt
Nov 26, 2007, 10:08 PM
I bought a refurb MB and couldn't install Leopard. After about 4 calls to tech support trying different workarounds, the HD became corrupt. In fact, the whole 'puter became so messed, it couldn't even boot from the install DVD. I was able to return it without a restock fee and then bought a Santa Rosa MB.

amac4me
Nov 26, 2007, 10:08 PM
Hopefully those who have had issues get them resolved quickly. I hate hearing stories of people loosing data due to hardware problems.

Corran Horn
Nov 26, 2007, 10:12 PM
I'm wondering this too. My friend just bought a MacBook and I'd like to see if she's affected.

Go to System Profiler and under Hardware select Serial-ATA.

(At least that's how I looked... saw that I had a Fujitsu drive and stopped looking there...)

WildCowboy
Nov 26, 2007, 10:12 PM
To check your drive, click on the Apple logo in the upper left corner, then "About This Mac." Click "More Info..." to open System Profiler. Under the "Serial-ATA" section, find your hard drive. If it's a Seagate and has "7.01" listed as the Revision, then yours is affected.

thingamajigidid
Nov 26, 2007, 10:16 PM
I've got Time Machine going, as well as other backups, so I'm not really worried about losing data, but I am worried about downtime. If there's an option of replacing it before it fails, I would be interested in doing that. However, I don't plan on taking the time to drop by a store and ask an Apple employee to do something that I'm sure they're not authorized to do.

i am sure glad you have a backup drive.. but you as the consumer, shouldn't be told hey you have a "potential - bad drive" .. but heres a good reason to buy a backup drive.. buy it.. to back up just incase..

even though you should have a backup just incase.. because any drive fails...
just that a potentially bad hard drive is more likely to fail faster ;)

heres to the wait...
i wonder what will happen to the already.. dead and replaced hard drives people had with no warranty...

spikeymike83
Nov 26, 2007, 10:16 PM
mine says 7.01 but I'm not sure if I have a Seagate drive. Would it say "Seagate"? Thanks in advance, I am a long time reader, but don't post very often. My MBP is a 2 GHz Core Duo if that helps any. I am trying to put a pic in, but if it doesn't appear, the model of the drive is: ST98823AS

schalliol
Nov 26, 2007, 10:20 PM
i am sure glad you have a backup drive.. but you as the consumer, shouldn't be told hey you have a "potential - bad drive" .. but heres a good reason to buy a backup drive.. buy it.. to back up just incase..

even though you should have a backup just incase.. because any drive fails...
just that a potentially bad hard drive is more likely to fail faster ;)

heres to the wait...
i wonder what will happen to the already.. dead and replaced hard drives people had with no warranty...
Agreed. Certainly I don't want to have a drive fail, and I agree that I shouldn't have to suffer if the failure rate is high.

Vader
Nov 26, 2007, 10:20 PM
To check if you have the 7.01 version, check system profiler under Serial ATA.
Mine is this:
Revision: 0081001C
so I guess I don't have the faulty drive.

Edit: People beat me to mentioning the system profiler.

Also, my drive is a Fujitsu, so no faulty drive for me!

The Toddfather
Nov 26, 2007, 10:21 PM
I purchased my first Mac (black MacBook) early this year and the hard drive failed when it was less than five months old. Although they replaced it, it was a huge inconvenience. I've owned over twenty PC's prior and never had a problem like this before, not what I expected for a machine twice as much as a PC.

Crash-n-Burn
Nov 26, 2007, 10:21 PM
mine says 7.01 but I'm not sure if I have a Seagate drive. Would it say "Seagate"? Thanks in advance, I am a long time reader, but don't post very often. My MBP is a 2 GHz Core Duo if that helps any. I am trying to put a pic in, but if it doesn't appear, the model of the drive is: ST98823AS

You have a Seagate drive.

WildCowboy
Nov 26, 2007, 10:22 PM
. . .the model of the drive is: ST98823AS

Yes, that is a Seagate drive. All of their drives these days have model numbers beginning with "ST."

happydude
Nov 26, 2007, 10:22 PM
if apple does issue a recall or warranty notice of some sort, i hope they include a data recovery method for HD's that still work but are under recall. as is, i think they charge somewhere between $75-100 to have data backed up if they are working on your computer/replacing hardware.

Floptop
Nov 26, 2007, 10:25 PM
ST means seagate drive. Thank the dude that mine isn't revision 7 whatever.

spikeymike83
Nov 26, 2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks for confirming.

I just installed Leopard so I backed up my iTunes and iPhoto. Not too concerned about losing anything else. However, as much as I love my Mac, I hate that its faulty, especially since its not even fully paid for yet. Additionally, I love that my warranty has run out.

Should I take it into a retail store, or just back up things I want to keep safe until Apple says otherwise? I don't have a big external drive, i just made CDs of my music and photos and have documents on a flash drive.

JML42691
Nov 26, 2007, 10:33 PM
Is a revision of 3.CAE a normal revision code/thing, because I do have a Seagate drive in my new MacBook? Because I just went through this with a brand new SR MacBook two days ago but got it replaced, and I know that it was this type of Drive and I am assuming that it was the 7.01 faulty part in my old one.

cwryn
Nov 26, 2007, 10:35 PM
When I got my macbook last year, I had to take it back 3 days later because it was screwed. I can't recall exactly what they said was wrong with it... but it was a long list and all centered around my hard drive. I got a new macbook on the spot.

I don't know what brand was in that c2d macbook... but the replacement I have now has a toshiba, not a seagate

bdkennedy1
Nov 26, 2007, 10:41 PM
You know what, it's time to get these solid state hard drives into high gear. I am so sick of being dependent on 40 year-old technology to store my life on.

iQuit
Nov 26, 2007, 10:42 PM
My MBP and my brother's MB both have the drive. :(

scienide09
Nov 26, 2007, 10:47 PM
That sucks, iQuit. Backup anything important immediately, and call Apple. Even if they haven't yet worked out a replacement plan, it's best to get yourself on the list right away.

SciTeach
Nov 26, 2007, 10:48 PM
Whew.... I am one of the lucky ones.

How many MB & MBP have Seagate drives out there? Any guesses?:confused:

At least :apple: is acknowledging this.

Digitalclips
Nov 26, 2007, 10:53 PM
I purchased my first Mac (black MacBook) early this year and the hard drive failed when it was less than five months old. Although they replaced it, it was a huge inconvenience. I've owned over twenty PC's prior and never had a problem like this before, not what I expected for a machine twice as much as a PC.

Well I have owned well over 20 macs and never had a hardware problem. **** happens. Come to think of it I never had a virus either :rolleyes:

sammyman
Nov 26, 2007, 10:55 PM
Model: ST9160823AS
Revision: 3.DAE

My MBP pro has a seagate, but a different revision than all of yours.

queshy
Nov 26, 2007, 10:55 PM
Hmm, I've heard of this issue but not nearly as much as the yellow screen problem on the mbp...they ought to acknowledge that as well!

yoda13
Nov 26, 2007, 11:06 PM
question, does the failure happen all at once or are their symptoms? And if there are symptoms...what are they?:)

MidiMonk
Nov 26, 2007, 11:19 PM
Apple should acknowledge the wireless dropouts and missing first letter issues as well(MBP).Apple is honestly a disappointment of late, granted this hard drive issue is Seagate's fault still no comfort for those who have experienced HD failure.

rumplestiltskin
Nov 26, 2007, 11:20 PM
I bought four 300GB Seagate drives and have a 125% failure rate. All four drives failed in the first year and one of the replacements also failed within a few months.

I now think of Seagate in the same light as Rodime. (Remember them?)
:mad:

ckoerner
Nov 26, 2007, 11:24 PM
Model: ST9160823AS
Revision: 3.DAE

My MBP pro has a seagate, but a different revision than all of yours.

I'm seeing the same thing as you.

But it's ok, I back my stuff up to the external drive on a regular basis...which is also a Seagate. DOH! :)

Just kidding. I've had really good luck/experiences with Seagate products.

AidenShaw
Nov 26, 2007, 11:25 PM
I just want to make sure all the photos on my mom's MB aren't in jeopardy...

Your photos are in danger, regardless of the make/model/rev of the drive in the laptop.

The laptop could be stolen, dropped, drowned with a spilled latte, spiked with static electricity, melted in a hot car, deleted by the wrong command or click, burned in a fire, sucked away by a tornado, flooded in a hurricane, crushed by an earthquake....

Keep a copy on an external hard drive (preferably one that's only plugged in when you make the backups).

It's a good idea to keep a copy somewhere else. Give your mom or dad DVDs of important stuff to keep at the office, or sign up for one of the multi-gigabyte online file services.

If the laptop is a loss, it's just some money to buy a new one and new programs. No amount of money, however, can bring back the photos and videos of the baby's first steps or the wedding or the vacation of a lifetime.

notredewey
Nov 26, 2007, 11:27 PM
My hard drive went completely dead about a month ago. I bought my MacBook when they came out about a year and a half ago. I did not purchase applecare so it was no longer covered under warranty. So I had to fork over nearly 300 dollars to get both a new hd and a new optical drive. I've pretty much had nothing but problems with this machine (random shutdown syndrome, bad hd and optical drives, etc.) So in a way im glad Apple is acknowledging these hard drive failures; maybe i'll get some of my money back I just payed to have them repair it. Sorry to complain so much but when I bought my Macbook I was a new switcher and I've been given more than enough reasons to switch back but i've stayed loyal.

Just some tips based on what happened to me about knowing if your hd is going bad (not sure if all these were related to the hd but just to note a few of the things I noticed before it complexly died)...computer would just shut off, no low battery warning or anything, sleep light stopped working, and also screen was flickering from time to time. When it came to dieing, I opened my Macbook to awake it and the screen was frozen, reset it and got nothing but a white screen with a blinking folder with a ? mark.

Good luck to everyone who has these hard drives in their Macbooks, make sure to keep things backed up.

MacinDoc
Nov 26, 2007, 11:30 PM
This problem is hardly limited to Seagate drives. My original Hitachi HD had exactly the same problem. May be more common in this batch of Seagates, though.

lozanoj83
Nov 26, 2007, 11:30 PM
Does this also go to Mac Mini HD's?
I just checked right now and I have a seagate with firmware 7.01, im not worried because I have time machine working and all... but arent the harddrives that go in the Mac Mini the same ones that go in the Macbooks? *since they are both 2.5"*

Someone guide me if im wrong...

D4F
Nov 26, 2007, 11:40 PM
Fujitsu here.
Feel bad for those that lost their data and i'm disappointed that Apple acts in such a slooow and non professional way to resolve issues like that.

I guess they have a marketing dream team but they should give their quality offices much more attention now days.

redrabbit
Nov 26, 2007, 11:55 PM
Apple should acknowledge the wireless dropouts and missing first letter issues as well(MBP).Apple is honestly a disappointment of late, granted this hard drive issue is Seagate's fault still no comfort for those who have experienced HD failure.

Yes! Both me and my roomate have the wireless dropouts and it is quite annoying.

I just checked. I have an affected drive. What should I do? Already backed up. Should I call Apple?

tuartboy
Nov 26, 2007, 11:56 PM
Wow, I just got an email from a friend yesterday saying his computer froze up and now he gets the question mark folder on boot. We were going to run spinright tomorrow, but it's good to know there is a legitimate problem with the series and it's not just a random bad drive.

Here's hoping we can recover some of his user data! He backs up the really important things, so no real worries.

miketcool
Nov 26, 2007, 11:56 PM
Yeah, well, Apple told me the HD was damaged because of a SMS fail and it there wasnt anything they could do. Working on my second HD thats NOT A SEAGATE drive. Too many problems from the past.

spikeymike83
Nov 27, 2007, 12:10 AM
i am hoping that because my MBP is out of warranty i don't just get the cold shoulder from Apple.

bankshot
Nov 27, 2007, 12:14 AM
Does anyone know if there are particular simptoms of this kind of failure? Or is it maybe just kind of random... and puff! all the info is gone. :confused:

I had the failure occur twice with drives in my Macbook (original and first replacement drive). Both times there were no symptoms leading up to the failure. It was instantaneous - one moment everything was working, the next everything was frozen (because the system couldn't access the drive). Subsequent attempts to reboot or otherwise recover data from the drive failed completely. The only symptom at that point was an audible clicking sound from the drive when it powered up, but by then it was too late to do anything.

As always, keep good backups (easy with Time Machine, right?). Hopefully Apple will initiate a recall for these drives soon.

Bern
Nov 27, 2007, 12:20 AM
I had one of those Seagate drives in my past MB. Suddenly one day without warning it went "click" then white screen. Luckily at the time I had a replacement drive so (thankfully) because the MBs have a swappable HDD I just changed it. To this day the Seagate HDD is unrecoverable.

I don't have that MB any more, but if I did I'd be calling Apple because when I spoke to them and Seagate at the time they denied anything could be wrong with it.

Macmanus
Nov 27, 2007, 12:29 AM
Wow... looks like it's time to put up a new ad for Apple vs Pc...

"Hello, I'm a Mac.
And I'm a PC.
PC : whatcha doin' ?
Mac : I'm trying to save my date on my Macbook. (has an enormous external drive connected to his Macbook)
PC : Isn't there supposed to be an internal hard drive ?
Mac : Yeah, but you know, we all go external these days...
Pc : Oh yeah, I got it... Why don't you use Time Machine and go back before the Leopard launch and the new Macbook launch ? Isnt' this what your tool is for ?"

blueflax
Nov 27, 2007, 12:34 AM
Interesting. I have a MacBook purchased in May 2006. I sent it in under AppleCare last month due to some thermal issues, and it came back with a new hard drive, among other replaced components, even though there was no sign of hard drive failure. I wonder if this explains that, and if they are replacing drives from this batch as they see them. (Of course, it's also possible that my drive failed their diagnostics.)

Consultant
Nov 27, 2007, 12:36 AM
if apple does issue a recall or warranty notice of some sort, i hope they include a data recovery method for HD's that still work but are under recall. as is, i think they charge somewhere between $75-100 to have data backed up if they are working on your computer/replacing hardware.

Apple will not offer data recovery. No computer maker offers that at the consumer level (at least without additional fees). You are suppose to have a backup of your important data anyway...

i am hoping that because my MBP is out of warranty i don't just get the cold shoulder from Apple.

Out of warranty repairs for this issue is highly likely.

Kaptajn Haddock
Nov 27, 2007, 01:00 AM
Its funny how fast they acknowledge problems that can be thrown at a different manufacturer but themselves, at no certain cost or embarrasment.

How about acknowledging the thousands of people with 'first key typed not always showing' problem on expecially the brand new MacBook Pros?

This thread has been red more than 10.000 times!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5967175

Marx55
Nov 27, 2007, 01:15 AM
These "surprises" are typical of Seagate. Their disks make no warning, ad suddenly, one day, they crash their heads and all is lost. We have had far too many terrible experiences with thousands of them over the years. Amazingly they are more expensive than competitors that do not have such problems. Maybe that is to pay for the 5-year warranty, and thus give a false sense of security. What we want is not just a warranty, but mainly the absence of these unexpected and sudden failures. No more Seagate drives for us. Ever.

Blue Velvet
Nov 27, 2007, 01:22 AM
We have had far too many terrible experiences with thousands of them over the years.

Thousands? Last I heard, you were a university student; not in charge of the university's IT infrastructure and policies. Seagate drives are consistently rated highly in terms of reliability. Stop spreading FUD.

Some_Big_Spoon
Nov 27, 2007, 01:24 AM
I was on my 5th HD on my 6 month old MacBook before I upgraded to the 2.2GHz that just came out. It got to the point where I carried around a back up drive and a screw driver for when (not if) my HD would die and I had to replace it on the fly. It's a terrible way to live, and I hope that Apple does something about it either with replacements, or some sort of compensation.

Floop
Nov 27, 2007, 01:34 AM
This fault happened on my Macbook. I was using it one moment, and then it locked up in the middle of me using it and I could hear a 'ticking' sound from within, as if the disc heads were repeatedly trying to engage, but unsuccessfully. There had been absolutely no prior warning. Nothing I tried could get it to respond so I eventually had to hard restart it, but then it wouldn't boot.

I tried a few utilities (some of the higher level ones), without success, because they couldn't even see the drive.

Apple Store London (Regent's Street) tested it by swapping it out with a working drive and they could immediately diagnose the hard disc as 'dead' and offered to swap it out.

However, I sent it off to two different data recovery specialist companies to attempt to get my data back, without success. They both diagnosed a head crash within the drive, that had scratched it up making it impossible to recover data (so they both said).

Eventually I had to accept my data was gone. Didn't back up (more fool me). Even so this was infuriating. Apple replaced the drive under warranty... with another Seagate one, same model. I have since sold the MacBook on eBay.

I believe this problem is not confined to 'a few' people, and I am one of a larger pool of people who have either experienced this problem, or will experience this in the future with their own Macbooks.

Ken Wind
Nov 27, 2007, 01:42 AM
I have had four replacements for the same 3.5" hard drive. Seagate has long warranties on their hard drives, but they only replace hard drives under warranty with refurbished hard drives. One of my replacements only lasted days. When the one I currently have started acting erratically I decided that it's not worth sending back.

jmmo20
Nov 27, 2007, 01:50 AM
I had an Early Macbook (week 2, May 2006) and the hard drive died in October, just a few days before an important conference where I was giving a talk. It was the biggest scare of all, right in the middle of all the pre-conference stress.

They replaced it but I had to run on an external hd for days.. Thanksfully I was fully aware of the need to backup and used to keep daily superduper clones on my external hard drive. Now i'm a bit more paranoid, and keep idisk backups, as well as clones and time machine backups :D and every few months I do a hard backup of photos and music in double layer DVDs..

FrenchPB
Nov 27, 2007, 01:55 AM
I have a ST89923AS with a 7.01 firmware... ouch.

I have the computer since August 2006 but it hasn't failed yet.

Bunny22
Nov 27, 2007, 02:05 AM
This is so weird... I have a MB 1.83 CD purchased when they were first released and just this Saturday my Seagate 60gb drive failed in the same way- it locked up whilst I was browsing, then it started clicking. On reboot, just a question mark file instead of the apple. My brother brought his Macbook round and we tried various things, but couldn't rescue it. I was/am in the middle of some PhD work, so I had to go out and get a new drive (Western Digital Scorpio 120gb), despite the fact that I have a Higher Education parts/labour warranty. I'm now hoping Apple will swap the Seagate so I can recoup some costs... what do you think my chances are?

gnasher729
Nov 27, 2007, 02:11 AM

If I had one of these Seagate drives, I would take it as an excuse to replace it with say a Western Digital 250GB drive. Your 80 GB Seagate drive only has a value of about Ģ40. Replacing it with a drive three times the size seems a good idea. If it fails then even if Apple replaces it for free, the inconvenience to you is worth more than Ģ40.

hirenj
Nov 27, 2007, 02:12 AM
This is so weird... I have a MB 1.83 CD purchased when they were first released and just this Saturday my Seagate 60gb drive failed in the same way- it locked up whilst I was browsing, then it started clicking. On reboot, just a question mark file instead of the apple.

I had the same problem too - I was having breakfast, went off to wash some dishes, and the laptop had died in the meantime. Lockup, clicking and failure to recognise the hard drive.

Luckily for me, this was the day that Leopard came out, so I ran off, picked up a new hard drive and Leopard, installed both, and set myself up on an even more stringent backup routine (Funnily enough, I'm also in the middle of my PhD work - I feel your pain). I think I missed about a weeks worth of data thanks to the failure, which isn't so awful.

Obviously, it was a Seagate drive that died. I hope they do offer out of warranty replacements for the hard drive - since I could do with another spare backup drive.

simply258
Nov 27, 2007, 02:25 AM
I lost my MacBook hard drive twice and both times it was overnight, the MacBook was just sitting there and when I woke up the drive was gone. But they were both Hitachi.

iamfiremansam
Nov 27, 2007, 03:26 AM
After getting a new MacBook I noticed at night when it is quiet, that my harddrive makes a whining and sort of grinding sound, and it often results in me whacking the thing to get it to shut up! BUT, I can't quite figure out if it starts doing that when I plug in my external harddrive to do Time Machine backups. That seems to be when I start noticing it, but it could be doing it the whole time i'm not sure.

I wonder if this is related to the situation mentioned?
Anyone else experiencing this?

offwidafairies
Nov 27, 2007, 03:32 AM
great that apple is acknowledging this. i hope they remedy the situation

JoeG4
Nov 27, 2007, 03:34 AM
When will Apple stop denying these problems until someone sues them ?

bentoms
Nov 27, 2007, 04:29 AM
We have 12 of these here & some 4 have had this issue.

So far it has cost us in the region of Ģ5000 due to downtime & recovery, over the past year or so

I have just inherited this network in september & was truly shocked by the high percentage of failures.

I guess I better stop blaming the users & will soon hopefully be applying PHD's across all to at least alleviate the grief caused when this happens.

As soon as Apple say they will swap them out I'm sending all of mine off.

PabloGS
Nov 27, 2007, 04:34 AM
I had a 160GB Seagate fail on me in my MacBook... Mine was 1.5 years old and got replaced by Seagate... I wish I'd known which revision it was... Too bad, guess I'll never find out...

The replacement drive is Rev. 3.ALB

Let's see how this one turns out.

If you're out of warranty, sending your HDDs to Seagate might help... They've got a 5 year warranty on all their drives. At least that's what they've told me.

Nomadic revery
Nov 27, 2007, 04:51 AM
I have had TWO failed Seagate drives in the space of four months in my 1st gen Macbook. I had apple care but it still took me 4 weeks of threatening legal action before apple would offer me a replacement machine, (which still hasn't arrived). I also had the problem with discoloured casing and flickering screen. All in all my Macbook had 7 repairs in 18 months and they STILL tried to offer me another repair.

As far as i can tell Apple's repair policy is in breach of UK consumer law. Apple says it will only replace a machine after three "major" faults, of all my machines faults they only considored the HD to be "major". This contravines the 1979 Sales of Goods Act which requires a retailer to provide a product "free of minor defects"

I would recommend replacing any HD which is made by Seagate. The second one failed during a backup so i lost everything.

SPUY767
Nov 27, 2007, 05:43 AM
Go to System Profiler and under Hardware select Serial-ATA.

(At least that's how I looked... saw that I had a Fujitsu drive and stopped looking there...)

Fujitsu/Hitachi FTW.

twoodcc
Nov 27, 2007, 05:53 AM
glad they are working on it. hopefully they'll fix this issue quick

Macmanus
Nov 27, 2007, 06:06 AM
Did I write that already some time ago ? Wow, someone said i'm a troll or something ???

"Too bad too many people here still didn't get this simple fact : Apple is an AMERICAN DESIGNER. That means, Apple can use all the crappy hardware material in the world as long as it presents that crap under a beautiful hood.

If you go Apple, and especially Macbooks (i'm not talking Mac Pros here...), don't look for performance, look for glamour and stability."

MacHiavelli
Nov 27, 2007, 06:23 AM
Would a MB or MBP bought today have the same drive?

obibobi
Nov 27, 2007, 06:24 AM
Seems like most people bought the failing MacBooks sometiime in the year 2006.
Anyone who have recently (last month) bought a MacBook and have checked what brand of HD they have ?
If I get a new MacBook now in the Apple Online Store, am I in danger ?

xUKHCx
Nov 27, 2007, 06:28 AM
Seems like most people bought the failing MacBooks sometiime in the year 2006.
Anyone who have recently (last month) bought a MacBook and have checked what brand of HD they have ?
If I get a new MacBook now in the Apple Online Store, am I in danger ?

My MB has a SeagateŪ MomentusŪ 5400.3 drive, it was bought about a month ago.

Bern
Nov 27, 2007, 06:46 AM
Thousands? Last I heard, you were a university student; not in charge of the university's IT infrastructure and policies. Seagate drives are consistently rated highly in terms of reliability. Stop spreading FUD.

Wow you have anger management issues :D

I think this person is referring to similar issues with Seagate drives in the University. You don't have to be in charge of the University's IT infrastructure and policies to be aware of what other people have been talking about. Universities are like small communities.

nakile
Nov 27, 2007, 06:49 AM
This is why I tell people "Never trust Seagate." Never really seen people say good things about them, to tell you the truth. Hopefully Apple learns the same lesson, especially if this problem is as big as it seems. A lot of people are switching to Mac right now, and this crap might hurt Apple.

bokdol
Nov 27, 2007, 06:51 AM
My MB has a SeagateŪ MomentusŪ 5400.3 drive, it was bought about a month ago.
get it replaced

we have 4 seagate momentus drives 60 GB(FW: 7.01) here that are completely dead. you cant reformat them. the wont show up as a target. so far it is only the seagate's are are dying on us. :confused: :mad: if we can find more of the seagate drives we want to remove them asap. we have about 30 macbooks and 4 dead seagate drives from them. thats a really high percentage. plus not all the macbooks have seagate drives.

dcorban
Nov 27, 2007, 06:58 AM
I have never liked Seagate drives. Back in the "good old days" I always used Quantum. Now I always use Western Digital. I was saddened to see that my brand new MacBook is using a Seagate drive.

jonswan
Nov 27, 2007, 07:03 AM
How about admitting airport extreme failures in Leopard...?

marco114
Nov 27, 2007, 07:09 AM
We have a MacBook w/ a seagate drive and it died. We lost tons of photos, just not a current backup. Almost 2 years worth. I know a guy well that owns a national data recovery center and they weren't able to recover it.

Get a backup, even if you don't have that drive. Get a firewire and back it up. Cheap insurance.

barnettgs
Nov 27, 2007, 07:40 AM
Is it to do with Seagate taking over Maxtor? Almost everytime I see a failed drive, it happened to be Maxtor!

sushi
Nov 27, 2007, 07:45 AM
To check your drive, click on the Apple logo in the upper left corner, then "About This Mac." Click "More Info..." to open System Profiler. Under the "Serial-ATA" section, find your hard drive. If it's a Seagate and has "7.01" listed as the Revision, then yours is affected.
And anyone who has a HD that meets this criteria, I would suggest backing up
immediately.

A failure where there is physical damage is nonrecoverable. Been there done that. Do not wait until tomorrow. Back up right now because if it goes, it is too late to backup or recover your files.

Marx55
Nov 27, 2007, 07:48 AM
Last I heard, you were a university student

Nope! You got it all wrong. My student years are too far, far away...

And not, it is not FUD. Besides, Seagate drives are usually much noisier and get hotter. Sorry, that is the truth (even if you work for them).

sushi
Nov 27, 2007, 07:58 AM
Back in the "good old days" I always used Quantum.
They were good drives for sure.

We have a MacBook w/ a seagate drive and it died. We lost tons of photos, just not a current backup. Almost 2 years worth. I know a guy well that owns a national data recovery center and they weren't able to recover it.
That sucks. Sorry to hear.

Get a backup, even if you don't have that drive. Get a firewire and back it up. Cheap insurance.
Sage advice.

Is it to do with Seagate taking over Maxtor? Almost everytime I see a failed drive, it happened to be Maxtor!
Maxtor used to be great. I have a bunch of older drives that just work. The new ones are crap and have been failing on me. No more Maxtor for me.

Penguinwrangler
Nov 27, 2007, 08:09 AM
And here I've been putting off buying a large external drive till after the holidays...

...guess I'm going out to get one tonight!

Can anyone shed some light on how a bad drive like this gets spread out in shipments of MBs and MBPs over such a large span of time? I bought mine in April of 2006, and yet recent purchasers seem to have the same drive and revision?

futbol1484
Nov 27, 2007, 08:10 AM
I bought my black MB in Jan 2007 (made in dec. 2006) and have had issues with it from the beginning. In march my computer went crazy and suddenly started erasing all my preferences (widgets, bookmarks, etc) Thought i had a virus, which i know is crazy talk since its a mac, but thats what it felt like. After talking with applecare they told me to back up my hd asap and re-install the os.

Once i reinstalled the OS my computer ran great from march until august '07. In august my computer froze and after doing a hard restart it would only reboot to a white screen and nothing else. After sending it into applecare they replaced my hd for the first time.

Computer ran very well since then until the end of october when basically the same thing happened again. Not doing anything computer heavy when all of a sudden computer froze. Would only boot to white screen again. Sent it in and they replaced the hard drive.

Of note is that when i talked to the support people they believe it might be something else in my computer that is causing the drive failures as it is odd for a brand-new drive to die within 2 months. I am not super techy or anything so i have no idea if this could be possible. I want to believe they are right because when my computer is running "well" i never feel like it is running the way a 2.0duo 2gigram should. It is not as fast as i would expect and i feel like i see the spiny ball way too much. I do not do heavy computer work like games/editing, just regular internet, wordprocessing, email, multitasking. The only noticeable thing odd about my computer when it is running "well" is that the widgets flicker and pixilize/shred when dashboard is open and running. This occurs randomly but atleast every few seconds.

I owned a great 12" PB before this for 4 years which ran flawlessly, which is what i am comparing this whole experience it. Needless to say, i am very disappointed this time around. It has been a huge hassle and apple refuses to replace my computer until i have to send it in again, which i am now almost hoping for.

I dont know what kind of drive my first one was. I am pretty sure the second was fujitsu and the one i have now (#3) is hitachi.

What do you guys think about this? Most of you are much smarter than I when it comes to this stuff.

bokdol
Nov 27, 2007, 08:19 AM
here are some images of some of our dead drives

Flyinace2000
Nov 27, 2007, 08:25 AM
I had two drives die. The first one died and apple sent me a new hard drive. Then that one failed 30 days later! The 3rd drive they gave me was a different brand and that one has been working fine for the past month or so. Fingers crossed. But I had TWO seagates just die with no chance of data recovery.

This was on a MacBook (original i think, core duo)

andrewface
Nov 27, 2007, 08:26 AM
ive been wating for an update on this issue...my gen 1 black macbook 80gb hardisk failed and i was told by apple there was nothing they could do...hopefully i get compensated in someway cause i already bought a new harddisk

uaaerospace
Nov 27, 2007, 08:27 AM
I just want to make sure all the photos on my mom's MB aren't in jeopardy..

The photos are in jeopardy regardless of which computer she has if there is no backup.

The Toddfather
Nov 27, 2007, 08:29 AM
**** happens.

Great marketing slogan, I'm surprised no company has picked it up.

Darkroom
Nov 27, 2007, 08:36 AM
After getting a new MacBook I noticed at night when it is quiet, that my harddrive makes a whining and sort of grinding sound, and it often results in me whacking the thing to get it to shut up! BUT, I can't quite figure out if it starts doing that when I plug in my external harddrive to do Time Machine backups. That seems to be when I start noticing it, but it could be doing it the whole time i'm not sure.

I wonder if this is related to the situation mentioned?
Anyone else experiencing this?

perhaps giving your computer a good whack isn't the best solution! haha :p

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

this issue is awful... a friend of mine had her MacBook's HD die and it had to be replaced... what's funny (in a not so 'ha ha' way) is that the "genius" at the SOHO Store in NYC replaced the HD in the back without telling her... he was just all "oh, we had to erase your drive and reinstall the OS"... so, i'm wondering if they have been hiding the issue (until now)... on top of that their new OS install didn't even have Photo Booth!

my old G3 iMac's Quantum Fireball HD lasted 8 years!!! and i ran that b*tch 24/7 without ever a problem (until it hard crashed, of course)... but my new iMac has a Seagate drive (albeit not the 7.01) that is causing some concern...

overall, it just seems that Apple products/componants are just not as reliable and strong as they use to be :(

reubs
Nov 27, 2007, 08:38 AM
I'm affected with "Revision 7.01". Looks like I need to upgrade the HDD a lot sooner than I had hoped.

Thanks for this news.

mr_matalino
Nov 27, 2007, 08:43 AM
I better do a time machine backup tonight. Damn Apple for not including wireless backups (yet)!! :mad:

SthrnCmfrtr
Nov 27, 2007, 08:52 AM
I better do a time machine backup tonight. Damn Apple for not including wireless backups (yet)!! :mad:

Hook it up to another Mac, share the drive via AFP, and go from there. Has worked perfectly for me since Day One.

My wife bought her (affected) machine from Amazon in January of this year.

lasuther
Nov 27, 2007, 09:13 AM
I bought a Rev A MacBook last year in the summer. During my install of Leopard, I didn't have enough hard drive space so I force quit and deleted a lot of stuff. After that, the hard drive failed. I was going on vacation, so I checked out the local Apple store. They quoted a replacement, but didn't have time. I ended up getting it done at the Orlando store, who did it for free.

I had intially thought I caused the hard drive failure, but it is possible I had one of these defective hard drives. Either way, the Orlando Apple store took care of it so I'm happy.

Flynnstone
Nov 27, 2007, 09:16 AM
I just replaced the hard drive in my daughter's Macbook. It was the 80G Hitachi drive. When I pulled it out, it rattled. I figure it was dead anyways, so I took the top off. The heads were at about mid platter and the arm resisted movement. With a little brute force and ignorance, I move the arm back to about the park position. The park latch mechanism seems broken though. I would like to power it up and see if I can get some data off. I should look into a SATA <-> Firewire enclosure.

Bigsam411
Nov 27, 2007, 09:26 AM
My Macbook Pro had a Fujitsu drive in it and it Failed last monday. I had it sent out for repair and should be expecting it back this week or the next.

niemo810
Nov 27, 2007, 09:31 AM
When I got my new MacBook a few months ago, I was pumped. I loved it. I still do, actually. However, after one month, the hard drive failed. I went to sleep, MacBook running fine, and I was woken up by the sound of my fan going (I assume) as fast as it could go. My screen was on, and although the mouse pointer moved around the screen, when I clicked on anything I got no response. My dock animation still worked (I assume it was still in RAM) and my pointer was that stupid pinwheel/beach ball thing that everybody hates to see. I thought maybe it was crunching some serious numbers (although I have no idea why it would be) so I left it while I got ready for my day. I came back to my computer, only to find that it had done nothing.

I shut it off, and it never booted back up. It took a lengthy two minutes or so for the computer to realize that the hard drive was bad, and the flashing "question mark" folder came up. I called Apple, and they tried to troubleshoot a few things. It turns out that my hard drive was in fact a Seagate, and that it did in fact crash. Miserably.

Luckily, Apple replaced the hard drive free of charge, and they replaced it with a Hitachi.

Two months later, I'm still running fine!

pascalpp
Nov 27, 2007, 09:38 AM
Aha, so i'm not the only one. The hard drive in my MacBook just failed a few weeks ago. My drive was a Seagate 60gb, and it reads "FW: 7.01" on it.

GraphicUmp
Nov 27, 2007, 09:41 AM
My CD 1.83 Mini bought in March has the same drive (80 GB). It's always had data corruption issues, from day 1, just minor enough to make me wonder if it was my imagination.

My C2D 1.83 Mini bought last month came with an Hitachi 80 GB drive and hasn't had a single data corruption issue.

I just upgraded the C2D to a Samsung Spinpoint 120 GB, so the Hitachi 80 GB is going into the CD Mini.

Peace of mind.

viqas
Nov 27, 2007, 10:06 AM
Capacity: 55.89 GB
Model: ST96812AS
Revision: 7.01

i swear i had a fujitsu before mailing my laptop to them.

Claytoniss
Nov 27, 2007, 10:17 AM
It seems everyone at least knows someone who has had a bad HD. My friends last week crashed when he was working on all his papers for his grad classes. of course I feel bad because I am the person who convinced him to get a mac in the first place. Poor form apple. Poor form Seagate.

studiomusic
Nov 27, 2007, 10:41 AM
My daughter's Macbook C2D had a bad hard drive 3 months after being bought new.
Then the keyboard plate cracked on the edges.
Then the power adapter frayed.
I went out and bought Applecare after the last time in the shop... looks like QC is slipping.

dr_lha
Nov 27, 2007, 10:41 AM
So what are Apple going to do about this? My mother-in-law's MacBook had this issue. At the time I just thought it was bad luck (HD failures happen), but now I know that the drive was at fault rather than just being random chance. I already swapped out the dead drive and bought a new one (MB HDs are easy to swap out plus the replacement from Fry's was $80). Can we expect some sort of rebate from Apple to refund this, or what? I certainly wasn't going to let the MB sit around dead for months until Apple realised it was an issue, and as the MB was out of warrantee when it happened I never bothered calling them. The dead HD went in the recycling a while ago.

Quite annoying.

awatiker
Nov 27, 2007, 11:01 AM
For the user with the cracking, my computer had this problem, I took it to the Apple Store and the top case was replaced under Apple Care free of charge. They had the part in stock, it only took about an hour.

Hopefully my 7.01 hard drive will last me through finals....

studiomusic
Nov 27, 2007, 11:18 AM
For the user with the cracking, my computer had this problem, I took it to the Apple Store and the top case was replaced under Apple Care free of charge. They had the part in stock, it only took about an hour.

Hopefully my 7.01 hard drive will last me through finals....

Ya, I had it fixed under warranty... just like the hard drive and the adapter. What is going to break next?

ChrisA
Nov 27, 2007, 11:58 AM

Seagate drives typically come with a five year warranty. So even if your Apple warranty period is expired you may be covered by Seagate. In the past I have been able to use the Seagate web site to determine if a given drive was still covered.

trip221
Nov 27, 2007, 11:59 AM
I just ordered a new SR Macbook on Sunday. I upgraded to the 250gb 5400rpm hard drive. Does anybody know who makes this drive?

I also ordered an external from OWC and it comes with a Seagate. I hope I don't need to worry about my backup too... :(

ChrisA
Nov 27, 2007, 12:01 PM
The dead HD went in the recycling a while ago.

To bad. You should have sent it back to Seagate. The drive either had a three or five year warranty.

majordude
Nov 27, 2007, 12:08 PM
Glad I have an Hitachi!

ChrisA
Nov 27, 2007, 12:10 PM
I also ordered an external from OWC and it comes with a Seagate. I hope I don't need to worry about my backup too... :(

This is why the basic rule of thumb about backups is that "data needs to be on at least three different media and at two different geographical locations".

If you are wanting to keep data "alive" for years having two copies is not enough. because when one copy fails you then have unbacked up data that is at risk. Yes it is expansive and a PITA to do and that is why I'm sure there will be very few 25 year old digital photos 25 years from now.

trip221
Nov 27, 2007, 12:25 PM
Yes it is expansive and a PITA to do and that is why I'm sure there will be very few 25 year old digital photos 25 years from now.

And for this reason I have also backed up pictures to DVD. I figure I can replace the music.

mkubal
Nov 27, 2007, 12:39 PM
Late to the party, but add me to the list of people who are staring at this exact dead drive on my desk right this moment. I just figured it was bad luck.

Thanks Seagate! :rolleyes:

usarioclave
Nov 27, 2007, 12:50 PM

Basically, your Macbook drive dies. When you start up your Macbook, you'll hear three clicks from the drive, and nothing. Drive recovery is impossible, because apparently the read/write head detached and gouged your platters. Game over.

My drive was a Seagate Momentus 5400.2.

Not sure what Apple is going to do. Reimburse me the $250in drive recovery costs? I already bought a WD 160gb drive, so I don't need another one.

usarioclave
Nov 27, 2007, 12:50 PM
Seagate drives typically come with a five year warranty. So even if your Apple warranty period is expired you may be covered by Seagate. In the past I have been able to use the Seagate web site to determine if a given drive was still covered.

Apple drives are OEM, so they're not covered by the Seagate warranty.

hirenj
Nov 27, 2007, 01:03 PM
Update to my previous post about the failed hard drive - I had a look at my drive and it's got the dreaded 7.01 firmware on it. Fingers crossed Apple replace the old dead drive with a higher capacity drive - I'm in need of an external drive which i can carry around for dire emergency backups.

aznguy2772
Nov 27, 2007, 04:45 PM
Well, Apple better do something and quick. I got my MacBook back when they first came out around June 2006. Over the summer (July 2007), the hard drive crashed. I guess this explains it. I'm almost sure that it was the same firmware 7.01 and I'm definitely sure it was Seagate. Not surprisingly, when Apple replaced my HD, it's the exact same model and firmware. Shame on Apple.

The only difference between now and then is that I have a backup of my stuff. Before, I didn't prepare because I didn't have an external HD yet and come on, Apple is not known for these kind of things. To tell you the truth, PCs aren't known for having hard drives crashing because of a physical problem. Mmmm.

rfrankel
Nov 27, 2007, 06:33 PM
In "About this Mac" my MacBook hard drive looks like it was supplied by Intel. But the model number begins with an "ST..." which I understand means it was made by Seagate. Is that right?

As far as the 7.01 designation, I don't see that anywhere. Under "Revision" I see "3.CAE" but I dont know if that refers to the firmware, which I understand the 7.01 refers to. The "3.CAE" looks like a different designation format than the numerical 7.01

awatiker
Nov 27, 2007, 06:50 PM
To the poster above, I think if it doesn't say 7.01 you are fine. As for the warranty issue, as noted above the drive is OEM. My understanding is that Apple agrees to provide support for fixing the drive in return for receiving the drive at a lower cost. Therefore, Seagate can't help you, they'd just refer you back to Apple.

VicMacs
Nov 27, 2007, 07:07 PM
I run an Apple retail business and I've seen more than 40 of these hard drives come into my shop... theyre all Seagate Momentus 5400.2 drives in either 60 or 80GB ALL from Core Duo MacBooks NONE from Core 2 Duo, white or black, I had a 120gb one do the same thing but I thing it wasnt related ot this epidemy... and it started happening during the 10th - 11th month of the warranty and I could get some in there for warranty but after its over theres pretty much nothing you can do for the customer... I sent an email to all my customers that had these macbooks and told them to check their system profiles and check for that ST and told them to back all their files up but not all of them have and theyve been coming in 2 or 3 a week... one time 2 at the same time... and basically ALL is lost... they all say that the machine just freezes and when they force shut down and come back up it just doesnt do anything, just the gray screen... and after a whiiiiiile the folder comes out displaying the question mark folder.... I took it to a shop where they do hard drive recoveries and the tech told me that there was a flaw in one of the solderings of the drive and the reader just loses contact with the drive plates and thats why you cant recover files with the usual softwares...

So I gave them some good exact hard drives to fiddle with and they managed to change the reader and got some hard drives to read files, some they didnt have luck with...

I hope they fix this and put it on an extended warranty program... I wrote to seagate and they said its apple's responsability to warrant the faulty drives... but they did not say anything of the problem they just told us to go through apple for the exchange....

so basically,

Core Duo
60GB 80GB
Seagate Momentus 5400.2

if you have one, back up your files! or do get it changed ASAP

luck

GraphicUmp
Nov 27, 2007, 07:26 PM
In "About this Mac" my MacBook hard drive looks like it was supplied by Intel.

Intel supplies the chipset that interfaces with the drive, that's all.

You do have a Seagate drive, but if you don't have "7.01" anywhere in the description, you're fine.

The Toddfather
Nov 27, 2007, 07:31 PM
...theyre all Seagate Momentus 5400.2 drives in either 60 or 80GB ALL from Core Duo MacBooks NONE from Core 2 Duo, white or black...

It happened to my Black MacBook 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with a 160 GB HD. My first Mac, it's been disappointing.

mmulin
Nov 27, 2007, 08:49 PM
It happened to my Black MacBook 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with a 160 GB HD. My first Mac, it's been disappointing.

well, i think you should blame Seagate.

i replaced my original MB drive with a Seagate of the very same revision and it died on me a month ago. since this is the second Seagate already skipping contract this year, other one was a desktop fluke, i won't be going near them for a while.. ;(

VicMacs
Nov 27, 2007, 10:02 PM

I know, it's tough but you have to know its not apple's fault, its seagates problem and THEY should deal with it giving apple customers a replacement hard drive... nothing compared to what they would have to fork out if people started suing them for lost data and all that jazz for covering something up for a while now (because its been happening continuosly for about 6 months) that affects customers and hurts apple's client base...

I think the WORST thing that can happen to a person (digitally speaking) is to lose all their data without them having done something wrong.. no accidental deletions, no accidental computer dropping, no accidental shut down or anything... when you know youve done nothing wrong and you lose stuff youve worked hard at.. thats when it hurts... its like one step down from getting stolen...

I always say to these customers, on behald of apple I'm sorry, its not normal whats happening...

Im sitting here and I have at least a dozen of those hard drives .... really sad to see peoples lives still in there and they cant get it out or dont have 300-400 dollars after a new hard drive replacement to recover all their data... Seagate people if youre reading.... you should offer a way to recover all the data from these hard drives to customers that suffered from this manufacturing error...

Seriously....

nikehair
Nov 27, 2007, 10:09 PM
Always hate reading something like that, but people should always backup their important data. Of course if you have a new computer you don't expect it to go bad right away.

AidenShaw
Nov 27, 2007, 10:56 PM
Of course if you have a new computer you don't expect it to go bad right away.

Actually, a surprising number of disk drives fail very soon after installation - a drive with a random manufacturing defect might last just a few days or weeks.

Look up "infant mortality" on the web, for example:

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/03/02.10.shtml

A key finding had to do with the non-linearity of the expected failure: "One aspect of disk failures that single-value metrics such as MTTF and AFR cannot capture is that in real life failure rates are not constant ... Failure rates of hardware products typically follow a "bathtub curve" with high failure rates at the beginning (infant mortality) and the end (wear-out) of the lifecycle."

One important conclusion of the study was that "The common concern that MTTFs underrepresent infant mortality has led to the proposal of new standards that incorporate infant mortality .... Our findings suggest that the underrepresentation of the early onset of wear-out is a much more serious factor than underrepresentation of infant mortality and recommend to include this in new standards."

It sounds like this batch of Seagate drives suffers from a combination of infant mortality and "early onset of wear-out".

Other papers have suggested the best predictor of probability of failure of a drive is not the length of time that it's been running, but whether other same model drives with similar serial numbers (or firmware revisions) have failed recently.

...people should always backup their important data.

...yes, always.

DiamondMac
Nov 27, 2007, 11:46 PM
I have had my MBP for a year and a half now

Within 2 months, my first hard drive failed and Apple replaced it

Then, another 5 months passed and it failed AGAIN.

I called up and asked Apple...am I doing something wrong? I strictly use my MBP for Documents & iTunes....that is it.

On my 3rd Hard Drive and no problems since

mkodama
Nov 28, 2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks to my hard drive failing, I ended up failing my english class. Lost two essays, one of which were a final paper, and only had enough time to rewrite one of them and got 2% away from a passing grade.

On the positive side, I got my computer back in three days. Negative side, I'm no longer going to that school. Thanks hard drive!

cal6n
Nov 28, 2007, 02:40 AM
Thanks to my hard drive failing, I ended up failing my english class. Lost two essays, one of which were a final paper, and only had enough time to rewrite one of them and got 2% away from a passing grade.

On the positive side, I got my computer back in three days. Negative side, I'm no longer going to that school. Thanks hard drive!

It might seem harsh, but your hard drive did not cost you your passing grade. That was the fault of your backup regime, or rather, your lack of one.

My flat could burn to the ground with my desktop in it. My rucksack containing my laptop could be stolen. I'd still have an up-to-date version of all my current projects as well as an archive of everything to date. You need to develop a similar system.

obibobi
Nov 28, 2007, 03:22 AM
Has Apple (or any other computer company) taken responsibility for their products and made a recall, like the car industry does ?
Pull back what they have in the stores and replace every Seagate HD from the faulty batch ?

If I buy a new MacBook now and immediately changes it for a new 250 GB Western Digital that I buy myself, will Apple contact me and offer to replace the Seagate drive ?
I think that if I pay for a 120 GB HD it should work. (even though I don't use it)

The problems that many of the latest models Apple released makes me sceptical to do the switch.
I want to buy a MacBook for my 4 weeks holiday in Thailand in january, but probably will use my Dell osx86 7-pound-crap machine.

new Apple commercial:
"you'll be up and running in only 5 minutes ... and have an involontary shutdown in 10"

~Phi
Nov 28, 2007, 08:31 AM
My 7 month old MacBook/Black's HD randomly died about a month ago and I lost everything. I would suggest get it replaced before it creates problems.

aquajet
Nov 28, 2007, 08:35 AM

People have been saying it for years. Backup your data. There is no excuse.

You could have spent 30 seconds emailing your papers to yourself. That would have saved you from your failing grade.

Flynnstone
Nov 28, 2007, 09:06 AM
Time Machine - use it.
Or SuperDuper on Tiger.

Hard drives are unreliable. These (MacBook) are even more unreliable.

aquajet
Nov 28, 2007, 10:09 AM
Hard drives are unreliable. These (MacBook) are even more unreliable.

I wouldn't go that far. The vast majority of drives will never fail during their service life. In fact, I have a 20 year old Apple HD20 which still works! Not that it's still in service -- it just sits there for the most part. ;)

If indeed there is a manufacturing flaw in a run of these Seagate drives, that's unfortunate. Seagate seem to have a good reputation. My MBP has a Momentus 7200.1 and one of my external units has a Barracuda 7200.10. Both work flawlessly and I wouldn't think twice about buying another.

jdylan
Nov 28, 2007, 10:20 AM
I have a new MBR, 17', 233 GHZ, and the HD broke after 5 months, which pissed me off. Yes, it was covered, of course, but still...

Flynnstone
Nov 28, 2007, 10:40 AM
I too have hard drives that have been working for years. Even one with loud bearings. I've also have a MacBook that I purchased in August that the drive failed.
I can't predict when a drive will fail. I know that it will eventually. So I treat it as unreliable. So I never keep data on only one drive. (or try not to :o )

Sweetfeld28
Nov 28, 2007, 11:17 AM
Is it just me or all of these bad HD related stories happen to be proned to just Seagate manufactured drives? Ever since the first time i used a Seagate drive, and had it fail, this was 4 or 5 years ago, i quit using them.

Seagate, for some reason has always had some bad luck. When i used to work at my local Uni, in the IT department, we had about 3 Seagte drives fail out of 30 Macs, and 0 Western Digital Drives fail which were in the Dell systems [30 of those too].

Maybe this is why i have noticed at Best Buy Seagate Drives now selling with a 5 year warrenty.

AidenShaw
Nov 28, 2007, 11:33 AM
Is it just me...

Yes, it's just you. ;)

Consider that:

A. Most drives are pretty good.

B. Every drive manufacturer has some "bad runs" of drives that fail early.

If you get a "bad run" and switch manufacturers, chances are that you'll get good drives from the second maker. (And incorrectly assume that manufacturer A is crap and manufacturer B is great.)

I've had a 250% failure rate with one line of Maxtor drives (the original design 80 GB drives). Other Maxtors have been fine (some failures, no epidemics).

I had to replace all my Western Digital 120 GB drives (first run) at least once. No other unusual WD problems.

Been buying IBM/Hitachi 40GB 2.5" drives by the 20-pack case for some racks of blade servers (with 480 drives, a 3 year MTBF means that "normal" is to expect two or three dead drives a week). Got one batch about 3 years ago that was crap.

cleanup
Nov 28, 2007, 04:09 PM
So, I have a Seagate drive, but my revision is listed as "3.CAE", not 7.01... does that mean I'm okay?

GraphicUmp
Nov 28, 2007, 04:28 PM
Yep, you're okay.

Sweetfeld28
Nov 28, 2007, 07:41 PM
I might just have bad luck.

Today i couldn't do anything at work. My Dual Core G5 at work ended up having a Bad Registry, which couldn't be fixed. Thus another HD failure. But i'll give Seagate credit, it wasn't them this time. :rolleyes:

spikeymike83
Nov 28, 2007, 09:01 PM
$100 to people who bought an iPhone "early", but nothing so far for the people who have spent $1200-3000 on a computer with a faulty hard drive? :mad: The drives should be replaced, end of story.

tgilbert
Nov 29, 2007, 01:17 AM
It cut be nice to see a poll, wich show who has crashed with what..

maybe the macbook rev number..

Macbook HD crash..

Macbook W. seagate fw 7.01
Macbook W. fujitsu XXX
Macbook W. ETC..
MacbookPro W. ETC..

jhande
Nov 29, 2007, 04:05 AM
Hm, I've got a Toshiba 111.79 GB drive. The stats are:
Capacity: 111.79 GB
Model: TOSHIBA MK1234GSX
Revision: AH005B

That got me thinking: What is the (re-)branding situation wrt drives? Are any drives just badged, but in reality a Seagate (for example) underneath?

Enquiring minds and all that...

FrenchPB
Nov 29, 2007, 04:08 AM
Is is easy to replace your MacBook's HD by yourself, or do you have to bring it to your local Apple reseller ?

I have a seagate 7.01 HD on my MacBook, so I might want to do something about it...

tgilbert
Nov 29, 2007, 07:02 AM
Is is easy to replace your MacBook's HD by yourself, or do you have to bring it to your local Apple reseller ?

I have a seagate 7.01 HD on my MacBook, so I might want to do something about it...

Yes its is very easy to do yourself, http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf

FrenchPB
Nov 29, 2007, 07:26 AM
Great, this is nice to know. my disk has never failed in 18 months, but if that happens, I have everything backed up on an external HD. I haven't used Time Machine to do my back up though. What does it offer more than backing things up manually?

I have the original 80Go 2,5" HD in my machine right now, but if I ever have to replace it, I'd like to swith to an even bigger HD. What size offer the best value ?

sparky672
Nov 29, 2007, 11:13 AM
Does this also go to Mac Mini HD's?
I just checked right now and I have a seagate with firmware 7.01, im not worried because I have time machine working and all... but arent the harddrives that go in the Mac Mini the same ones that go in the Macbooks? *since they are both 2.5"*

Yes and Yes.

I have three: Seagate model #ST98823AS with firmware revision 7.01

Another Source: (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/30/apple_seagate_drive_warning/)

And the drives in question all came from Apple machines, Clarke claimed. Retrodata only gets the drives, not the host computers, so Clarke couldn't specify exactly which Macs they came from, but since they're all 2.5in models, that suggests not only laptops like the MacBook and MacBook Pro, but also potentially desktop Macs that use laptop-oriented components, like the Mac Mini.

qwerty32
Nov 29, 2007, 06:54 PM
iīm not personally affected by the issue (although my boyfriend has a macbook with the doomed hard drive) itīs interesting to read the messages. itīs funny how users try to defend apple and blame the chinese manufacturer for the problem.

iīm planning to buy a new macbook in the following weeks, but still...

donīt you think itīs apple who chooses its suppliers, who puts the gadgets into the box and sells it at a good price? donīt you think itīs apple who really should take care of quality checking? this story pretty much rhymes to the latest toy scandal. i love the chinese response: we can produce quality, but you (toy companies) should pay its price.

sjsharks27
Nov 29, 2007, 09:37 PM
hi my MacBook stopped working today. I set it down on a table while on sleep and open and i guess the left side corner hit the table though it wasn't that hard. Then my computer wasfrozen and when I tried starting it up again the dreaded flashing folder ? Came. That's when I looked online and found this. I tried using the install disk but there was no drive to install it on. Then I checked the system profiler and under serial ata it said "there was an error while scanning for serial ata devices." I bought this mac in dec of 2006 and had never checked the hard drive so if anyone has a mac from the end of dec 06 can y tell me what hard drive u had. Also does anyone have ne suggestions on what I should do. I am now planning on taking it to the apple store tomorrow.

Flynnstone
Nov 29, 2007, 09:52 PM
hi my MacBook stopped working today. [snip] Also does anyone have ne suggestions on what I should do. I am now planning on taking it to the apple store tomorrow.

That's pretty much what happened to my daughters MacBook.
If you don't have the data backed up ... ouch.:(
If you not handy with a screw driver (torx and philips) then the Apple store or other Mac type store.
Buy new internal hard drive.
Buy new external hard drive like a WD Passport.
Use TimeMachine if on Leopard or something like Supduper on Tiger ...

zephead
Nov 30, 2007, 12:51 AM
I pulled my ad on Craigslist selling my 60GB Seagate drive that came with my MacBook once I saw this. It worked perfectly up until I replaced it with a 120GB WD drive. It still works; I booted up from it then I booted from an external to wipe it so I could sell it. But I still wouldn't want to sell it and have the buyer pissed off if it craps out on him.

Think I could bring the HD to an Apple Store and get it replaced/sent for a new one?

sjsharks27
Nov 30, 2007, 08:28 AM
quick question do I have to schedule something at the apple store or can i just show up with my MacBook??

awatiker
Nov 30, 2007, 09:34 AM
You can schedule an appointment with a "Mac Genius" online (look for your local store on the Apple site and use the concierge). I don't know if an appointment is required, but on busy days you may be stuck waiting a long time without one.

John Musbach
Dec 1, 2007, 07:33 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has acknowledged to InformationWeek that it has received reports of MacBook hard drive failures and is looking into the problem (http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=4IJ2MYTAJMRCSQSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=204203468).

UK data recovery firm Retrodata earlier this month discovered a flaw (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/06/data-loss-vulnerabilities-discovered/) in the some hard drives employed in Apple's MacBook and MacBook Pro computers. The firm's analysis at that time had indicated that Seagate hard disks in the models with firmware 7.01 were unusually prone to read/write head failures that caused physical gouges in the hard drive platter, making recovery impossible.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/26/apple-acknowledges-reports-of-macbook-hard-drive-failures/)
*whew*, glad my MacBook didn't come with a Seagate hard drive:

TOSHIBA MK2035GSS:

Capacity: 186.31 GB
Model: TOSHIBA MK2035GSS
Revision: DK021B
Serial Number: 67FKF2D8S
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 4
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Mac OS 9 Drivers: No
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
Macintosh HD:
Capacity: 185.99 GB
Available: 116.14 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /

stu.c
Dec 2, 2007, 04:14 AM
My hard drive went completely dead about a month ago. I bought my MacBook when they came out about a year and a half ago. I did not purchase applecare so it was no longer covered under warranty. So I had to fork over nearly 300 dollars to get both a new hd and a new optical drive. I've pretty much had nothing but problems with this machine (random shutdown syndrome, bad hd and optical drives, etc.) So in a way im glad Apple is acknowledging these hard drive failures; maybe i'll get some of my money back I just payed to have them repair it. Sorry to complain so much but when I bought my Macbook I was a new switcher and I've been given more than enough reasons to switch back but i've stayed loyal.

Just some tips based on what happened to me about knowing if your hd is going bad (not sure if all these were related to the hd but just to note a few of the things I noticed before it complexly died)...computer would just shut off, no low battery warning or anything, sleep light stopped working, and also screen was flickering from time to time. When it came to dieing, I opened my Macbook to awake it and the screen was frozen, reset it and got nothing but a white screen with a blinking folder with a ? mark.

Good luck to everyone who has these hard drives in their Macbooks, make sure to keep things backed up.

I got the flashing folder with the ? and thought "Well, you tell me what ? means"

Cheffy Dave
Dec 2, 2007, 05:03 AM
sorry, i'm a little unfamiliar with this issue (I have a MBP), but is there any way to tell which MB (or MBP?!?) is affected? I just want to make sure all the photos on my mom's MB aren't in jeopardy...

I am glad, though, that (it seems) Apple is addressing this

In one word, BACKUP!WHY TAKE THE CHANCE????:confused:

rfrankel
Dec 2, 2007, 07:48 AM
[QUOTE=John Musbach;4566739]*whew*, glad my MacBook didn't come with a Seagate hard drive:

I don't want too rain on anyone's parade but:

Just because your computer didn't come with the notorious Seagate drive doesn't mean it won't fail. It just means it's less likely to.

Just because your computer did come with that 7.01 Seagate drive doesn't mean it will fail. It just means it's more likely to.

Backup. Backup. Backup.

Bossworld
Dec 3, 2007, 03:13 PM
Mine bloody failed about 3 days after my bluetooth went on the blink again, just got the machine back today and it's another Seagate 7.01

ign
Dec 8, 2007, 07:29 PM
I got the seagate HD (80 Gb) on my MB Pro CoreDuo 2 GHz which I bought on Nov '06. So far it hasn't failed, but it sucks to know that I have high chances of bad surprises on the way.....
I have had 2 cd-rom drives replaced in less that 12 months on the same machine, if the hd fails I'm going to get pissed at apple and claim an exchange of my MB Pro with a new one ! These machines cost too much to have all these problems...

heatmiser
Dec 9, 2007, 10:06 AM
These machines cost too much to have all these problems...

Unfortunately, the price you pay doesn't have much to do with the quality you receive. Apple sells their computers at high prices to make money, not because they spend extra time assuring the gear won't break down. It would be great if the Apple Tax were an insurance against bad craftsmanship, but it just isn't.

india349
Dec 9, 2007, 03:26 PM
I had a hard drive failure on my MB Core Duo 2.0 Ghz which I bought new in Oct. '06. Except the hard drive that failed was one that I installed myself, a 100GB Hitachi.

So now I'm back with the 60 GB Seagate and lo and behold, it has the revision number 7.01. Should I be worried again, considering I've already had one failure? I'm running Leopard and as soon as my new external arrives for Christmas, I'll start using Time Machine...

india349

hirenj
Dec 11, 2007, 06:15 AM
Hi

Has anyone had any success in getting a replacement hard drive (out of warranty) from Apple? I've got my dead one sitting in a box, and would love to have a spare one available.

Similarly - any idea what the best way to approach Apple about is?

Flynnstone
Dec 11, 2007, 08:27 AM
Hi

Has anyone had any success in getting a replacement hard drive (out of warranty) from Apple? I've got my dead one sitting in a box, and would love to have a spare one available.

What about contacting Seagate (or other) directly?
I tend to buy Seagates for the 5 year warranty. So perhaps its under warranty.

GraphicUmp
Dec 11, 2007, 08:36 AM
Call Apple. Tell them what drive you have, installed in what computer and when it failed. You should be able to get a replacement. If the first person can't help you, ask nicely to talk to their supervisor. Etc.

Seagate only warrants when you buy them from Seagate (or reseller). This is an Apple OEM drive, so the warranty goes through Apple.

bharkness
Dec 14, 2007, 12:58 PM
This happened to me yesterday morning. Never had a problem, no warning at all. Was working fine the night before, went to use it the next morning, got the dreaded, flashing, question mark folder.

Went to apple store last night and they said since it is out of warranty there is nothing they can do. I do have a Seagate drive, but I do not know for sure it is the Firmware revision is 7.01. Most of my stuff was backed up (except stuff I was working on for work the day before, ARG!), so it is not a complete loss, but now I do not have a working computer!

Anybody know of a good place to buy a new hard-drive? Any other ideas on what I should do?

Thanks everybody in advance for your help!

diamond.g
Dec 14, 2007, 01:44 PM
This happened to me yesterday morning. Never had a problem, no warning at all. Was working fine the night before, went to use it the next morning, got the dreaded, flashing, question mark folder.

Went to apple store last night and they said since it is out of warranty there is nothing they can do. I do have a Seagate drive, but I do not know for sure it is the Firmware revision is 7.01. Most of my stuff was backed up (except stuff I was working on for work the day before, ARG!), so it is not a complete loss, but now I do not have a working computer!

Anybody know of a good place to buy a new hard-drive? Any other ideas on what I should do?

Thanks everybody in advance for your help!

Newegg if you don't need it today. Otherwise BestBuy or CompUSA sells hard disk for notebooks (at a premium though).

bharkness
Dec 14, 2007, 01:54 PM
what about OWC?

http://www.macsales.com/

diamond.g
Dec 14, 2007, 02:01 PM
what about OWC?

http://www.macsales.com/

That works.

bharkness
Dec 14, 2007, 02:49 PM
would this drive work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136071

diamond.g
Dec 14, 2007, 04:14 PM
would this drive work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136071

Yup.

andrewface
Dec 15, 2007, 02:35 PM
so has apple announced anything yet? or are they going to wait for everyone to forget!?

Trippater
Dec 19, 2007, 10:11 PM
My model hard drive says ST9888_____. I can't tell if its a seagate or whatever. My firmwaye is 7.01. can someone help?
Thanks.

karmapolice63
Dec 19, 2007, 10:25 PM
They will probably address the issue soon i hope, not sure how tho.

Neil321
Dec 20, 2007, 05:15 AM
My model hard drive says ST9888_____. I can't tell if its a seagate or whatever. My firmwaye is 7.01. can someone help?
Thanks.

yep this is seagate drive dont know how ST relates to seagate, but this does'nt mean its going to fail soon just means its more likely too (always make sure you back up)

Had my seagate fail but its been going for ages (well over a year) bought myself one of those new WD scorpio 320GB drives fitted it ok but because its sold blank is it just a case booting from the
leopard disc ( hold C down while booting ) install leopard????

Trippater
Dec 20, 2007, 10:50 AM
Neil321
What makes you say that you know its a Seagate drive?
I can't find the name "Seagate" anywhere.
Thanks for the help.

GraphicUmp
Dec 20, 2007, 10:54 AM
All drives that start with "ST" are Seagate drives.

Neil321
Dec 20, 2007, 11:17 AM
Neil321
What makes you say that you know its a Seagate drive?
I can't find the name "Seagate" anywhere.
Thanks for the help.

hi all drives that ST are seagate drives you wont find the actual word if
your looking in "about this mac" go onto the seagate main site type in
the drive number volla it tells you the specs

Any help regarding my question about installing leopard on a blank internal
would be handy

joegomolski
Dec 20, 2007, 11:59 AM
Hi,

Your surmise is correct. Insert the Leopard installation disk, then hold down the C Key as soon as you hear the chime. Continue to hold the C key until your Mac has booted up.

Then install Leopard on your internal drive.

This is the procedure that is followed when you upgrade your internal drive.

hi all drives that ST are seagate drives you wont find the actual word if
your looking in "about this mac" go onto the seagate main site type in
the drive number volla it tells you the specs

Any help regarding my question about installing leopard on a blank internal
would be handy

Neil321
Dec 20, 2007, 12:13 PM
Hi,

Your surmise is correct. Insert the Leopard installation disk, then hold down the C Key as soon as you hear the chime. Continue to hold the C key until your Mac has booted up.

Then install Leopard on your internal drive.

This is the procedure that is followed when you upgrade your internal drive.

thankyou

Mehmet
Jan 7, 2008, 01:58 AM
My macbook hard disk just died. All of the stuff I've been working on this last 2 days is gone, at least. I've had this computer for 3 months and I can't believe this actually happened. I have a 6 year old powerbook g4 ti that's still running strong on its original hard drive.

Oh and to top it all of, since Apple is the best company in the world and is so customer-friendly and is totally willing to help me out because they 'care', I decided to set up a genius bar appointment. Except all appointments are full for an indefinite amount of time. Go Apple! :rolleyes:

justyn25
Jan 8, 2008, 03:54 AM
Greetings all. I started out today on my new running regimen and while I went out running I set the macbook on task as it has been since I got the beauty about a year and a half ago.. and bingo. Wouldn't you know it... the bugger crashed on me today. I got a white screen with some bumping HD noises and I know what the means. No resume, no nothing.. bubkus...
So friggin frustrating.. but thankfully I only lost a video that I wasn't too interested in editing anyway.. so that's not to bad. IT was a Seagate drive.. one I put in myself that was a 7200, 100 gig. So, now with the battery dying and the laptop HD.. not feeling to good about this bad boy.

However, what I do like is that I'm not alone.. in that people are out there spreading the news and it was reasuring to find this info out. Sure I wish no one was going throughh it, but it's good to hear encouraging words.. and rants and just to be a part of this. Now if the owner of Seagate was here, I'm sure a few choice words and punches would be thrown in his direction.

cheers all and wish I had found this page out a week ago. Also, the only warning I can think that I got was that the screen was dimming when it launched... So if yours is doing that now, get it changed out.. I'm hoping it's just the HD. Still might be something else but if it's just that, then I'll change it out and off and running again. I PRAY.

macdave121
Jan 12, 2008, 12:32 PM
i came across this issue recently on the browsing the web.
looks like i've got one of these affected drives.
ST98823AS
Revision: 7.01, is that the firmware version?

Is there any symptons prior to HD failure?

I ask because for the last few months my mac mini has been making a squeaking sound. Its like something spinning around.
Somebody told me it maybe the fan bearings.

Now im thinking otherwise after finding out about this issue.

andrewface
Jan 21, 2008, 10:46 AM
so has apple announced anything yet? or are they going to wait for everyone to forget!?

grr..i want compensation!

schalliol
Jan 21, 2008, 10:56 AM
Uh, oh, I already forgot :)

efp722
Jan 21, 2008, 07:04 PM
It happened 2 nights ago. Was out at night while it was sleeping, came home and it was frozen and asked me to restart. I didn't think much of it because it usually does that when it updates itself. But when i turned it on i got the clicking and the ?folder. I went out the next day to Best Buy and got a 250gig Western Digital for $130.

I was bummed but I had just got an external back up drive and had just backed up EVERYTHING. And i was able to upgrade my drive from 60gigs to 250...so im happy.

But does anyone know if Western Digital is any good?

efp722
Jan 21, 2008, 07:07 PM
It happened 2 nights ago. Was out at night while it was sleeping, came home and it was frozen and asked me to restart. I didn't think much of it because it usually does that when it updates itself. But when i turned it on i got the clicking and the ?folder. I went out the next day to Best Buy and got a 250gig Western Digital for $130.

I was bummed but I had just got an external back up drive and had just backed up EVERYTHING. And i was able to upgrade my drive from 60gigs to 250...so im happy.

efp722
Jan 21, 2008, 07:10 PM
i came across this issue recently on the browsing the web.
looks like i've got one of these affected drives.
ST98823AS
Revision: 7.01, is that the firmware version?

I ask because for the last few months my mac mini has been making a squeaking sound. Its like something spinning around.
Somebody told me it maybe the fan bearings.

Now im thinking otherwise after finding out about this issue.

well mine just went. I had a seagate. for about a month and a half before it finally went i had a bunch of random shut downs. I've heard that others experienced the same before theirs finally went. But some just went with out any notice

niemo810
Jan 25, 2008, 04:42 PM
I bought my MacBook in August, from the Apple store. I'm on my fourth hard drive. Only the first was seagate. It seems to happen on a regular schedule... about every 6 or 7 weeks. Last time I sent it away they supposedly replaced the logic board, but who knows... it's not listed on the repair invoice that was shipped back along with the computer.

Apparently if these kinds of things happen to somebody enough, Apple starts throwing free stuff in! (That will diffuse the situation! /end sarcasm) They gave me Leopard for no charge. If it happens again, I'm hoping for AppleCare.:mad:

I'm sick of it.

roncole
Jan 31, 2008, 04:05 PM
Don't be too sure it's just a problem with Seagate. I have a 6 month old (carefully cared for) MacBook on my desk right now with a dead hard drive. It is a Hitachi drive. The failure was sudden and (ironically) occurred during a backup operation.

All I get now is a folder with ? when I turn it on - accompanied by a bunch of loud bangs/clicks coming from the hard drive.

Yesterday
Feb 3, 2008, 12:20 AM
my friend's hdd just went out on her macbook a couple days ago...this problem kinda frightens me. i have rev 3.ALC, so hopefully all bugs have been ironed out. i thought seagate drives were more reliable than other brands.

Chimpy
Feb 3, 2008, 01:24 PM
I have a seagate drive in mine as well. I brought it to the Genius Bar because the battery had given up the ghost, and while there I asked about the drive and if they should change it out. The guy claimed to have heard of no problems with the Macbooks and the Seagate drives. Riiiiight :).

cygni
Feb 3, 2008, 08:35 PM
I have a seagate drive in mine as well. I brought it to the Genius Bar because the battery had given up the ghost, and while there I asked about the drive and if they should change it out. The guy claimed to have heard of no problems with the Macbooks and the Seagate drives. Riiiiight :).
Yeah, I had the same response when complaining about the clicking. :rolleyes:
My fave was on the previous MacBook, I complained about the keyboard crapping out and was told "never heard of that". Two hours later, I return the machine, the clerk brings it back after checking it out with an OS update and said "see it works perfectly now". :rolleyes:

TG for this forum!

cygni
Feb 3, 2008, 08:41 PM

Imo, Western Digital is very good.
I have an external that has been going strong for about 5 years. So far, never an issue. :)

bgd
Feb 4, 2008, 02:59 AM

Not in my case. Working away, a sudden grinding noise and that was it. No idea of the type of drive but less than a year old.

While I am well backed up and didn't lose anything important I now clone the drive. It's all the little configuration things I lost that were annoying.

BothBarsOn
Feb 4, 2008, 04:55 AM
No warning for me either. Spinning beach ball followed by stomach-churning whirring and clicking followed by ... well, nothing.

Couldn't believe that this is a known issue and there was no recall. I feel like Mrs Kintner, the woman whose little boy got eaten in Jaws. "You knew there was a big-ass shark out there and you let people go swimming?"

I'm paraphrasing.

michaelverdin
Feb 4, 2008, 05:40 AM
Segate, whew, I expected it to be one of the famous ''14 month maxtors'' or the hitachis with built in tractor sound effects lol.

Thats the problem with buying segate hdd's now, you have to make sure you buy the cuda 7.11 or you'll get the crappy segate dimondmaxes

ajbgmex
Feb 4, 2008, 02:24 PM
Ok guys:

Believe it or not I finally got thru Apple Care US thru Apple Care LatinAmerica, I will be getting a brand new White MacBook after complaining about having the same HD replace and failed over and over 5 times.
I am so happy.
Anybody having HD problems with the infamous Seagate HD, call Apple Care and complain, they are listening.
Thanks,

AJ :D

ign
Feb 6, 2008, 09:43 PM
Lucky you!! I hope they will listen here in brazil as well. Tell me something: are they sending you a new macbook - i.e. a model above your former mb - ? is the warranty on the new arrived starting from zero or is it continuing the timing of your old mb? cheers, ign

ajbgmex
Feb 6, 2008, 10:45 PM
I will be getting a brand new White MacBook Core2Duo 2.2 GHz with Superdrive (DL). Warranty starts from zero and Apple Care is transferred to this one and extended. :D
AJ

SwllwtheShards
Feb 7, 2008, 05:22 AM
i guess I'm f'd in the a.... ive tried all the steps to reinstall with the disk and stuff, reset the PRAM, and still nothing. I guess the hard drive isnt even mounted, cuz ive gone under system profiler, and theres nothing under serial ata. it just has the intel ICH7-M thing, but nothing under that. and theres no destination where i can install mac osx.....arrrrrrrrrrrrggghhh

angryturd
Mar 28, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hi

hi, i just wanted to let you know that my macbook was out of warranty and i called apple today and was able to get a replacement hard drive. i had to stay on the phone for over an hour, talking to three different people, but in the end, i got what i wanted. (well, i wanted a new macbook entirely, but being out of warranty, i thought i was pushing my luck.)

with regard to how to approach apple, i was just mad all day because my computer had crashed and i lost all of my school work, pictures, etc. so i went in with that anger, and also with knowledge of this defect and related articles on it. i brought up the fact that this problem was acknowledged by apple during my warranty period, and should they have warned users when they knew about the defect, i would have definitely exercised my warranty. because they chose not to do so shouldn't prevent me from getting the replacement that i was entitled to.

hope that helps!

ajbgmex
Mar 28, 2008, 07:06 PM
As I said before I got my new MacBook after several calls to AppleCare bitching and bitching and more bitching. It is the only way they will understand that there is an issue with the Seagate hard drives.
I am a happy camper now.

USMMacChic
Apr 3, 2008, 07:03 PM
Just dropped off a Oct2007 MacBook at Apple Repair center flashing a folder and question mark. I've had to reset the pram on the machine several times and it is otherwise glitchy. I'm currently on an IBook G4 purchased in 2004, that I fished out of storage. I've beat the mess out of it. The latch is broke, key board sticks when its humid (3 year old mountain dew spill), powercord end smashed and only works when inserted a certain way. I had a toshiba harddrive first. (damaged by me) Still worked if it was tilted. Replaced it myself, put the casing on wrong. (now scratches cd's not put in just right.)
Yet it runs oh so nicely. What happened to the old apple?

ajbgmex
Apr 3, 2008, 09:41 PM
The old Black MacBook was sent back to Apple. :D

Shotglass
Apr 4, 2008, 01:18 AM
My MacBook's harddrive failed a couple of months ago. It was an 80GB Seagate. I didn't know this was an acknowledged failure, and I had a spare 120GB Fujitsu, so I put that one in and continued computing. Last night, the MacBook showed me that same folder and question mark icon again, so I put in my 250GB Samsung. Same thing exactly. No matter which harddrive, the damned thing won't boot up. The MacBook is well out of warranty, what should I do?

ajbgmex
Apr 4, 2008, 01:23 AM
I guess they paid attention to my ongoing problem because I already had Apple Care Protection. I honestly don't know how they react when the machine is out of warranty. Just call Apple and BITCH about it.

Shotglass
Apr 4, 2008, 01:32 AM
I guess they paid attention to my ongoing problem because I already had Apple Care Protection. I honestly don't know how they react when the machine is out of warranty. Just call Apple and BITCH about it.I am definitely in the mood for some bitching (I have a presentation and no computer to make it on), but the thing is, around here there are no Apple stores, only authorized resellers. Don't know if that might be a problem.

USMMacChic
Apr 4, 2008, 06:18 AM
You might have luck with an apple authorized repair center. (Regular PC store that sells and fixes apple products) I had damaged a screen on an older notebook out of warranty. Apple said $900. The local repair people upgraded me to a newer notebook with my old system on it just like it was for $500. They seem to have an easier time negotiating with apple and they aren't an apple store so they aren't required lie to you on behalf of the company.

USMMacChic
Apr 4, 2008, 06:19 AM
Also, with apple I was looking at 4 weeks. The local place had me fixed up in less than a week.

Shotglass
Apr 4, 2008, 10:05 AM
You might have luck with an apple authorized repair center. (Regular PC store that sells and fixes apple products) I had damaged a screen on an older notebook out of warranty. Apple said $900. The local repair people upgraded me to a newer notebook with my old system on it just like it was for $500. They seem to have an easier time negotiating with apple and they aren't an apple store so they aren't required lie to you on behalf of the company.Sounds good. So if they're an authorized reseller, they'll lie? Sounds charming. I think his Steveness will get mail soon.

cheekybobcat
Apr 4, 2008, 12:05 PM
How can you tell whether you have the Seagate HD?

zephead
Apr 4, 2008, 12:08 PM
How can you tell whether you have the Seagate HD?

:apple: menu > About This Mac > System Profiler, then Serial-ATA in the sidebar.

pink233
Nov 18, 2009, 05:46 PM

I've been told that my hard drive is a 'tease', as it keeps making a clicking sound coming from where the hard drive is located followed by the blinking folder and question mark (nearly a dozen separate occasions by now) but thus far it has fixed itself eventually (once after over 24 hours while in the repair shop).

The first time I brought it in telling them what it had been doing, they turned me away, saying that since they couldn't duplicate the problem in store I should go home and wait for it to do it again.

Needless to say, at this point it still continues to happen (sometimes 2 days in a row, sometimes not for a few weeks) and I have paid $120 "bench fee" since my Apple Care only covers actual hardware issues, but not the labor for the repair center to watch it work perfectly fine (for that time).

I don't understand why I can't just get a new one since there is obviously a problem.

Bottle
Dec 8, 2009, 03:01 AM
Hi ,

I just wanted to let you know of my experience with mac book pros. I purchased my first MBP in August this year, after 3 days the hard drive failed. I returned it, thinking this was unlikley and very unlucky, I exchanged it for a new one. After 2 weeks the same problem. Screen froze while i was using it, little spinning beach ball, then again, no drive found. I returned this and actually upgraded to the 500 gb version (after hearing the issue was witha certain batch of drives) although, after 5 weeks this has done exactly the same. The only difference is, instead of just not findning the drive, it is making a knocking sound, which I am lead to beleive is to do with the drive header or drive protector hitting the case.??

I purchased these at currys and they will now not give me a refund (which is another problem). Currys are suggesting they will fix the problem, but I am fed up completly and do not want another MPB again. in my opinion the MBP has a serious defect and Apple need to accept it and help their customers.

I had the 13" version, not sure if the problem is specific to this particular model??

mikes70mustang
Dec 8, 2009, 03:20 AM
Hi ,

I just wanted to let you know of my experience with mac book pros. I purchased my first MBP in August this year, after 3 days the hard drive failed. I returned it, thinking this was unlikley and very unlucky, I exchanged it for a new one. After 2 weeks the same problem. Screen froze while i was using it, little spinning beach ball, then again, no drive found. I returned this and actually upgraded to the 500 gb version (after hearing the issue was witha certain batch of drives) although, after 5 weeks this has done exactly the same. The only difference is, instead of just not findning the drive, it is making a knocking sound, which I am lead to beleive is to do with the drive header or drive protector hitting the case.??

I purchased these at currys and they will now not give me a refund (which is another problem). Currys are suggesting they will fix the problem, but I am fed up completly and do not want another MPB again. in my opinion the MBP has a serious defect and Apple need to accept it and help their customers.

I had the 13" version, not sure if the problem is specific to this particular model??

You do realize this thread is from '07...

keet83
Dec 29, 2009, 06:49 AM
To check if you have the 7.01 version, check system profiler under Serial ATA.
Mine is this:
Revision: 0081001C
so I guess I don't have the faulty drive.

Edit: People beat me to mentioning the system profiler.

Also, my drive is a Fujitsu, so no faulty drive for me!

i have the fujitsu drive however it has now failed 3 times in just over 2 years. im beginning to loose faith in my macbook, i have an imac powerPC G5 and had no problems with it over nearly 5 years. i will be writing to apple to ask them why this keeps reoccurring because it can't be a coincidence 3 times in a row.

has anyone else had this problem with the fujitsu hard drive as well? if so what did you do about it?