PDA

View Full Version : 1 ghz Ti is actually a 667 mhz?

johnwon
Sep 24, 2003, 02:01 AM
I ran Xbench on my 1 ghz Ti powerbook and it said that my processor is the PowerPC @ 667 Mhz. I don't get it. I defragged it using Norton and I did Xbench again, and it still says that its a PowerPC @ 667 Mhz. I have 1 gig of ram too. Xbench version 1.1.1. My "About this Mac" says that its a 1 ghz processor. What's up? Is it the Xbench or is it just that Apple screwed up? Can anyone help?javascript:smilie(':(') It says that my version is 7455 (Apollo) v3.3. Powerbook version 3,5. thanks

hugemullens
Sep 24, 2003, 03:19 AM
Its a 1ghz. When on battery and having the processor set to reduced mode it runs at 667mhz. My powerbook reports a 534mhz in xbench. Run the program with the powerbook pluged in and then on battery with the processor reduced and you will see the performace difference. I have no idea why xbench doesnt always report it right.

johnwon
Sep 24, 2003, 11:46 AM
My computer was and is plugged in and I put the energy setting at highest performance and it still says 667. I guess I'll have to ask xbench.

baby duck monge
Sep 24, 2003, 12:15 PM
if your tag is supposed to be from the princess bride (best movie ever), it's a holocaust cloak, not a suicide cloak.

/ tangent.

sorry about that, it's just that we have to stand up for accurate representations of art.

actually related to your post:
have you compared your results to any published results? are your stats similar? if so, i wouldn't be too worried about the processor name. if not, i would be concerned as to why my computer was running at less-than-optimal levels even while plugged in.

johnwon
Sep 24, 2003, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the correction, its been a while since I've seen it, but I love the movie. I checked with Xbench and saw that my performance was similar to the other Ti powerbooks. But they have 1 ghz on their xbench. Oh well. Thanks for the help, and the correction.

QCassidy352
Sep 24, 2003, 01:16 PM
Try zapping the PRAM and running it again.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember hearing about a known error (known to users, if not to the xbench people) where the processor is read as too slow if powermanagement has not been reset in a while.

In any case, the problem is not with your computer, but with xbench. Your computer is 1 Ghz, regardless of what xbench (it's rather imperfect software if I may say so) thinks.