PDA

View Full Version : Google Gadgets Beta for Mac

MacRumors
Nov 29, 2007, 01:04 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Google has released a beta version of Google Gadgets for Mac (http://desktop.google.com/mac/). Google's Mac Blog (http://googlemac.blogspot.com/2007/11/google-gadgets-for-mac.html) provides some details about the release from Mike Pinkerton.
This feature brings hundreds of existing Google Gadgets to Dashboard. You can add fun gadgets (such as bowling, virtual flower pot, or YouTube), useful gadgets (weather maps, driving directions, and news), and others that offer daily wisdom for the ages (Confucius, horoscopes, and even a joke of the day!). These gadgets look and behave just like any other Dashboard widget, so you don't have to learn anything new.
Google's "Gadgets" (http://desktop.google.com/plugins) are mini applications similar to Apple's own Dashboard Widgets. Google's Gadgets for Mac are now integrated and installable into Apple's Dashboard in Mac OS X. This makes them functionally indistinguishable from Dashboard Widgets.

Google Gadgets comes integrated with Google Desktop (http://desktop.google.com/mac/), a desktop search application also available from Google.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/29/google-gadgets-beta-for-mac/)

headfuzz
Nov 29, 2007, 01:06 PM
Well done Johnny Come Lately Google! :rolleyes:

arn
Nov 29, 2007, 01:08 PM
nice to have a large repository of widgets/gadgets for people who use dashboard. I personally never really got into the whole dashboard thing.

arn

Digitalclips
Nov 29, 2007, 01:11 PM
So are both Spotlight and Google Search whirring away indexing all the same stuff slowing down my Mac and taking up space with two sets of index files? Or does this either turn off or suggest you turn off Spotlight?

Jocko
Nov 29, 2007, 01:11 PM
All those gadgets sound cool, but remind me again why I would want Google desktop on Leopard?

Orng
Nov 29, 2007, 01:12 PM
nice to have a large repository of widgets/gadgets for people who use dashboard. I personally never really got into the whole dashboard thing.

arn

I know what you mean, I was excited to get it, I set up all kinds of cool widgets when I first got it, and I never ever use it.

irun5k
Nov 29, 2007, 01:13 PM
I wonder if this is going to bugger up my machine? I'd rather just install native widgets- this sounds like some sort of emulation layer to get gadgets to look like widgets. In general I am very much not in favor of all these little bolt-on enhancements, toolbars, etc. that folks like Google, Yahoo and others come up with. Who needs another possible way for their OS to become unstable.

psychofreak
Nov 29, 2007, 01:17 PM
I know what you mean, I was excited to get it, I set up all kinds of cool widgets when I first got it, and I never ever use it.

I'm the opposite...thought it would be useless, now I have a calculator, su doku, two games, dictionary, three webclips and the translation widget...

iJawn108
Nov 29, 2007, 01:21 PM
ill try it, but if it picks up my marked as not indexed content it's sooo going.

QuarterSwede
Nov 29, 2007, 01:25 PM
Nice try Google, but I'll pass.

headfuzz
Nov 29, 2007, 01:26 PM
I use them now and again, but only a select few. Currency converter, weather and calculator is pretty much it.

Clive At Five
Nov 29, 2007, 01:31 PM

arn

I can't help but wonder whether or not there might be just a *tinge* of redundancy in these thousdans of Widgets/Gadgets out there. The "repositories" of each one individually were huge to begin with.

And I'm the same way about Dashboard. I rarely ever use it. Maybe "Calculator" once a month, but it's more of an annoyance if I accidentally toggle it, especially with the slow-as-all-hell load time of my iFossil - I mean iMac.

-Clive

headfuzz
Nov 29, 2007, 01:35 PM
You forgot your sarcasm tags, Clive! :p

jjo
Nov 29, 2007, 01:37 PM
Anyone else notice that at the end of the desktop video demo, the URL they give results in a 404 Not Found error?

Funny.

Littleodie914
Nov 29, 2007, 01:41 PM
Anyone else notice that at the end of the desktop video demo, the URL they give results in a 404 Not Found error?

Funny.Make sure you're typing google.com/mac and not google.com/mac/ (notice the extra slash at the end.)

dr_lha
Nov 29, 2007, 01:47 PM
All those gadgets sound cool, but remind me again why I would want Google desktop on Leopard?
Well luckily you don't need to install Google Desktop to get the Google Gadgets. Although Google attempt to "bundle" them together, you can choose to only installed Google Gadgets.

BTW Google Gadgets is pretty nice if you really want a Google Gadget on your Dashboard that you can't get a Native Dashboard Widget for.

TurboSC
Nov 29, 2007, 01:48 PM
hahah nice.

I guess this will ease my adventures into the Mac world ( I've been a PC Fanboy for quite some time ) when I purchase my new MBP mid-jan. :P

I loves you google.

SC68Cal
Nov 29, 2007, 01:48 PM
I get a virtual potted plant in exchange for disclosing usage statistics? Great! Where do I sign up?

itcomesinwaves
Nov 29, 2007, 01:53 PM

arn

Word.

The only thing I ever use it for (and I think it works great for) is weather. When I'm getting ready to run out the door here in New York, I want to know whether it's going to be cold, or "I think my ears just fell off" cold. I can just run to my computer and hit a button (no need to sit down) and I can see what coat/hat I need to wear. Other than that I haven't found any useful widgets, and I'm always wary of the load they'll put on the system.

ChrisA
Nov 29, 2007, 02:04 PM
I had the same reaction to this as to something I discovered yesterday in our company cafeteria when I thought "Wow another new kind of Coke Just what the world needs."

I wonder just how many calculator programs and virtual potted plats there are already.

tibi08
Nov 29, 2007, 02:12 PM
Why doesn't Google spend the time it's wasted on this pointless application on bringing Picasa to the Mac?

andiwm2003
Nov 29, 2007, 02:14 PM
Word.

The only thing I ever use it for (and I think it works great for) is weather. When I'm getting ready to run out the door here in New York, I want to know whether it's going to be cold, or "I think my ears just fell off" cold. I can just run to my computer and hit a button (no need to sit down) and I can see what coat/hat I need to wear. Other than that I haven't found any useful widgets, and I'm always wary of the load they'll put on the system.

same here. 99% of widgets just pull some info from the web. and usually i need more information than what the widgets display. so weather is the only useful one.

the main problem with dashboard for me is that it takes 30 sec to update the info on all web related widgets and only then you can use the calculator. that makes it quite useless.

phuong
Nov 29, 2007, 02:24 PM
Word.

ever since i found this small app called WeatherDock i never used the dashboard again. i even remove it from my system completely. the weatherdock thingy puts weather info on my menubar so i dont even have to push any button to get the info. just have to glance at the menu bar.

Lock
Nov 29, 2007, 02:30 PM
Word.

The only thing I ever use it for (and I think it works great for) is weather.

Same here. Nothing is as simple and convenient.

Bad Paper
Nov 29, 2007, 02:31 PM
if it picks up my marked as not indexed content it's sooo going.and what content would that be?

CANEHDN
Nov 29, 2007, 02:42 PM
I don't use dashboard that much but it's great to see more stuff becoming available on the Mac.

dukeblue91
Nov 29, 2007, 02:58 PM
I get a virtual potted plant in exchange for disclosing usage statistics? Great! Where do I sign up?

My thoughts exactly.

I hardly ever use the dashboard widgets as is.

512ke
Nov 29, 2007, 03:01 PM
I don't need Google widgets on my Mac.

But boy I'd love to have 'em installable on my iPhone.

sonicboom
Nov 29, 2007, 03:18 PM
Why doesn't Google spend the time it's wasted on this pointless application on bringing Picasa to the Mac?

They kind of did, only it's spelled:

Pisa Shate

ryanw
Nov 29, 2007, 03:21 PM

arn

I'm not exactly sure why I haven't completely removed dashboard from my dock yet and disable the f12 hotkey. Everytime I load dashboard I hate it. My machine actually runs less efficiently when I run dashboard cause it keeps all those widgets running in memory. I run finalcut pro, photoshop, iphoto, idvd, dvd studio pro, motion, logic, etc. Having 200+mb chewed up for some lame widgets is pathetic. And that memory never comes back until I log out and log back in. So I regret every time I mistakenly hit dashboard.. bye bye memory.

I really really wish dashboard was something that allowed integration of widgets as regular applications floating around in the desktop. If they were something more accessible I'd use it. I find myself still using the regular calculator application instead of dashboard because i get the memory back when I'm done using it and I can throw it right there on the dock.

pgwalsh
Nov 29, 2007, 03:30 PM

arn
I have mixed feelings about dashboard. I liked sherlock a little more in the beginning and dashboard is just now getting some of the things I liked in sherlock, as in the Fandango movie thingy, but it's marginally useful. However, I would be nice to actually place some of them on my desktop, I know there's a hack, but I avoid hacks when possible.

I'm going to hold out on Google's widgets to see what other's think.

carlitofox
Nov 29, 2007, 03:45 PM
"But boy I'd love to have 'em installable on my iPhone"

Is that the point were all missing here ????

could this be a beta for google widgets/gadgets on the iphone ????

didn't i see an ijailbreak phone that had loads of stuff on it and you slide the pages across ??? imagine that full of widgets/gadets that you wanted.

:eek:

tibi08
Nov 29, 2007, 04:02 PM
"But boy I'd love to have 'em installable on my iPhone"

Is that the point were all missing here ????

could this be a beta for google widgets/gadgets on the iphone ????

didn't i see an ijailbreak phone that had loads of stuff on it and you slide the pages across ??? imagine that full of widgets/gadets that you wanted.

:eek:

Imagine there actually being more than a couple of Google widgets which you actually wanted....

John-S
Nov 29, 2007, 04:43 PM
Well, I think the google widgets part is OK but I don't want the double indexing that I had to install so I'll probably install.

For those using Leopard and dashboard widgets for calculations... don't forget you can now use "spotlight" for basic math problems and instant dictionary.

I go in and out of widgets. At some points I love them and at some points I hate them. I'm glad they are included in the OS though so you have the option.

Gamoe
Nov 29, 2007, 05:41 PM
To me, there is practically no point to Dashboard, particularly when it is stuck on its own layer. It might be practical if it were more efficient in sharing resources between widgets, but it seem to be more of a memory hog than individual applications running anyway.

Google gadgets seem even more pointless, considering it's extra effort to install and yet another memory-hogging process running.

gifford
Nov 29, 2007, 06:25 PM

arn

Just to add my two pence on an ever growing list of agreements, i'm the same.

Widgets seem like great funky gimmicks, like xmas presents your great uncle henry gave you that you play with for one day then forget about.

megfilmworks
Nov 29, 2007, 07:39 PM
I use widgets everyday multiple times, for weather at 10-15 airports, radar,
and world clocks (over 25 widgets on demand with a corner mouse hit)
... all very helpful for a pilot on the go. Google adds sounded exciting until I looked, nothing that interesting, so I will stick with the tried and true widgets.

EricBrian
Nov 29, 2007, 09:34 PM
Well, when Google Desktop for Mac came out, I was totally excited. But, it took me no longer than 3 days to get rid of it again because it uses way too many resources.

And unlike my excitement for Google Desktop, I can't even come up with a reason for trying these widgets.

Thanks but no thanks.

Hey Google, how about you stop creating something that people don't want and go to work on applications for the iPhone. You know how to create those. :)

doc james
Nov 29, 2007, 10:12 PM
Sometimes I worry. I sit at my desk, look out of the window and think - "hmm, it looks cold." Then I hit F12 and confirm my suspicions. And check up on whether my parents are equally cold and whether I should have emmigrated. Then I hit F12 again and go back to work.

My IPhone is even worse. I can walk around town and think - "hmm, pleasantly warm". And again get some objective evidence at the touch of a button.

I wonder how our ancestors ever managed.....:)

northernmunky
Nov 29, 2007, 10:28 PM
No way am I installing that Google Desktop crapware, I'm waiting patiently for Yahoo Widgets to gain 10.5 support.

elcid
Nov 29, 2007, 10:29 PM
I'm the opposite...thought it would be useless, now I have a calculator, su doku, two games, dictionary, three webclips and the translation widget...

I turned off dashboard when I realized how much those widgets were costing me just sitting there doing nothing. Lots o Ram.

InfernoSoul
Nov 29, 2007, 11:10 PM
I am going to invite a widget that does absolutely nothing. Am I too late, has anyone invited that yet? You know you open it up and it just sits there and does nothing. I suppose it would do something like piss off the person that downloaded it and installed it. Cool idea I should patent it and make millions of dollars, but atlas I'm too lazy.

ddowney
Nov 29, 2007, 11:16 PM
I think that Google Desktop not only "Spotlight"s your hard disk for rapid searching, but some sanitized version of your computer's contents "for statistical reasons" are collected by the Google Central - they get to sniff around your folders

IzzyJG99
Nov 30, 2007, 12:20 AM
What is the the point of this anyway? OS-X already has a search function (Spotlight, duh!) and access to a whole website full of widgets.

Oh....I forgot...we were dealing with Google the Son of Microsoft who fell and hit his head one too many times on the edge of the crib.

I'm with the rest of my buddies on this thread. This is about...oh, what? *Checks watch* Four years late?

Nice try, Google. Keep up the "good" work.

And...I honestly would not be one iota surprised if Google Desktop spied on your computer. I am weary of any application put out by a massive corporation that has it's own "Market Research Division" like Google does. Believe it. A week after I signed up for GMail they sent me five page survey wanting to know all sorts of odd things about my web surfing. I put it promptly into the paper shredder.

MaaseyRacer
Nov 30, 2007, 01:08 AM
Now if only Apple had come up with these clever ideas earlier...

ImageWrangler
Nov 30, 2007, 07:08 AM
Isn't this thread about Google Gadgets, not about some people's opinions how much they hate Mac Widgets and Dashboard?

Anyways, did anyone actually click on the link and see the Google Gadget icons? They're HORRENDOUSLY FUGLY looking. Goes to show how even the third party Widget developers (most anyways) at least understand some aesthetics, all the Google Gadgets look like Windows 3.1 icons if redrawn by a third grader using M$Paint. Apple = Creative People, Microcrap and Google peeps... not so much.

luminosity
Nov 30, 2007, 07:17 AM
I use dashboard constantly. I'm surprised no one has mentioned iStat yet, or Gmail, and only one person has mentioned the weather widget. I'm thankful I've got dashboard available, but I'm always using it.

Mindcrime
Nov 30, 2007, 09:07 AM
I am going to invite a widget that does absolutely nothing. Am I too late, has anyone invited that yet? You know you open it up and it just sits there and does nothing. I suppose it would do something like piss off the person that downloaded it and installed it. Cool idea I should patent it and make millions of dollars, but atlas I'm too lazy.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/justforfun/plasmatubemotionlightwidget.html

One of many on the Apple Widget Downloads site. :rolleyes:

Teddy's
Nov 30, 2007, 09:11 AM
I like dashboard. I like my Chia Pet - Funny. My translator is a nice thing to have in the environment I am (French, English, Spanish, German) Weather is always useful being in Canada.
I guess I wouldn't use the google gadgs. Not because the "fanboi" in me. IMO if ain't broken don't fix it.

Antares
Nov 30, 2007, 09:27 AM
What can you do with a Google Gadget that you can't do with a regular Widget? Seems like a waste to me. Why not just use a native Widget?

Anyway, I love Widgets. Weather, Date, Calculator, Dictionary and iStat I use on pretty much a daily basis. The new movie widget is brilliant...it saves me from having to load up Safari and navigate to websites when I want to see a flick. And unit conversion is extremely useful to me as I often purchase materials and need to make conversions of size. But what does Google Gadgets offer differently from what I can already get?

orb
Nov 30, 2007, 09:39 AM
I'd like to install the google widgets, but I don't want the search. Is it possible to install just one or, more likely, to completely disable search? I don't need another index of my hard drive.

xUKHCx
Nov 30, 2007, 09:51 AM
I suppose this comes with all the crap that Google Desktop came with(?)

benpatient
Nov 30, 2007, 10:13 AM
I only use 2 widgets:

1. Weather Bug for temps and radar at a glance so I know what's going on without loading a website

2. Two instances of the gmail inbox app. That way my wife and I can see our inboxes without logging out/in each others' accounts manually. Basically, if you hit F12 and then click on a new email, it will open it up in Safari. That's obvious and not a big deal, but what happens when you click on an email from another account in a separate widget instance? Yep, it effectively logs out the other user and logs you in under the new user. VERY useful and time-saving, because we don't need two separate OS X accounts clogging up our laptop hard drive just to be able to easily check two separate email accounts.

I use Dashboard all the time, but only for those two things.

I also have iStat running, and I guess I look at it every now and then, but not because I need to. I just like numbers and graphs and charts and stuff. And wires. I really like different sorts of wires and cables.

phuong
Nov 30, 2007, 12:01 PM
I only use 2 widgets:

1. Weather Bug for temps and radar at a glance so I know what's going on without loading a website

2. Two instances of the gmail inbox app. That way my wife and I can see our inboxes without logging out/in each others' accounts manually. Basically, if you hit F12 and then click on a new email, it will open it up in Safari. That's obvious and not a big deal, but what happens when you click on an email from another account in a separate widget instance? Yep, it effectively logs out the other user and logs you in under the new user. VERY useful and time-saving, because we don't need two separate OS X accounts clogging up our laptop hard drive just to be able to easily check two separate email accounts.

I use Dashboard all the time, but only for those two things.

I also have iStat running, and I guess I look at it every now and then, but not because I need to. I just like numbers and graphs and charts and stuff. And wires. I really like different sorts of wires and cables.

much simpler solution would be using Mail and the likes.

twoodcc
Nov 30, 2007, 01:10 PM
well i do like dashboard, so i guess i'll check some of these things out

frankfurter
Nov 30, 2007, 07:54 PM
I use dashboard every now and then, and I loooove new software, so I thought I'd try it. Not bad, but as with most things non-Apple, they're trying oh-so-hard to be Apple, but just aren't pulling it off. Most of it looked amateurish and useless, so back off of my system you go.

I'm with everyone else - why doesn't Google spend some resources doing something more useful - how about taking gmail out of beta?

MrMoore
Nov 30, 2007, 10:17 PM
No way am I installing that Google Desktop crapware, I'm waiting patiently for Yahoo Widgets to gain 10.5 support.

It does now. Yahoo Widgets 4.5 was release yesterday.

http://widgets.yahoo.com/upgrade

The Monkey
Dec 1, 2007, 05:17 AM
I turned off dashboard when I realized how much those widgets were costing me just sitting there doing nothing. Lots o Ram.

How does one turn off dashboard to reclaim resources? Thanks!

xUKHCx
Dec 1, 2007, 08:58 AM
How does one turn off dashboard to reclaim resources? Thanks!

See here (http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macosxhints/2005/08/disabledashboard/index.php)