PDA

View Full Version : Apple Orders 13.3'' LED Backlit Screens for Upcoming Laptop?

MacRumors
Dec 4, 2007, 08:50 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Digitimes claims (http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20071203PD212.html) that Apple has placed an order with Kenmos Technology and Taiwan Nano Electro-Optical Technology for 13.3-inch LED notebook backlight units for an upcoming Apple laptop:
The sources disclosed that Nano-Op's LED notebook BLU [backlight units] shipments in November were only about 10,000 units, but Apple orders are expected drive up shipments to over 90,000 units in December.
Kenmos is also said to be shipping LED notebook BLUs to Apple for "high-end models".

Apple has been rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/12/ultra-portable-mac-expected-at-macworld-expo-2008/) to be launching a new "ultra-portable" laptop at Macworld San Francisco in January. Early specs (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/12/ultra-portable-mac-expected-at-macworld-expo-2008/) described by Appleinsider suggested the new sub-notebook would carry a 13" screen with aluminum enclosure that is described to be 50% lighter and "strikingly slimmer" than the existing 15" MacBook Pros. Apple recently adopted (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/05/apple-releases-new-macbook-pros-with-santa-rosa/) the environmentally friendly LED backlit screens in its MacBook Pro models.

Steve Jobs will be giving (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/03/steve-jobs-to-give-macworld-2008-keynote/) the Macworld San Francisco 2008 keynote speech on January 15th, 2008.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/04/apple-orders-13-3-led-backlit-screens-for-upcoming-laptop/)

mrkramer
Dec 4, 2007, 08:52 AM
yay maybe now I will be able to update my powerbook. unless they have glossy screens.

QCassidy352
Dec 4, 2007, 08:54 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Oooh, it's all coming together. This should be fun. :D

Popeye206
Dec 4, 2007, 08:55 AM
Bring it on!!!!!! :)

Squonk
Dec 4, 2007, 08:58 AM
So and LED for the MBP nano. Excellent. Now, what about LED for the 17"?

basesloaded190
Dec 4, 2007, 08:59 AM
looks as though all the prayers for those in need of an ultra portable are being answered. i don't need one but i am very excited to see what this is all about because this is only going to take apple another step forward in the notebook industry!

MadDog31
Dec 4, 2007, 09:00 AM
So and LED for the MBP nano. Excellent. Now, what about LED for the 17"?

+1 on this one. This is one of the bigger features I'm waiting on to make the switch. My Windows machine is on it's last leg (to the point I have to leave it running b/c the hard drive is shot), and a Mac is right around the corner, provided any announced updates at MWSF08 are sufficient enough to get me to slide over to the stable, fun, and efficient side sooner.

amac4me
Dec 4, 2007, 09:08 AM
Bring it on ... MacWorld can't get here fast enough :apple:

Claytoniss
Dec 4, 2007, 09:11 AM
PIMP!!! This will be killer! GO :apple:!!!

AtHomeBoy_2000
Dec 4, 2007, 09:12 AM
DANG IT!!! I knew I should have waited instead of ordering my MacBook after Thanksgiving! Oh well! I am quite happy wth it and I saved $101.

emotion
Dec 4, 2007, 09:13 AM
Exactly the form factor I'm needing (I had a 12" powerbook, went to macbook but that's a little clunky for me, my work-bought MBP is more like it but too big).

This isn't an ultra-portable though. I think there'll be something very small coming. 6" WS display, multitouch, ULV chip. Would be a perfect companion to apple tv and a home server like a mac miniplus.

I think we have a busy year for apple computer releases ahead.

matthewHUB
Dec 4, 2007, 09:19 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

looking forward to it. Just hope it's powerful enough to use as a proper computer, not just an enhanced iPhone

Data
Dec 4, 2007, 09:25 AM
Aslong as i can stick any cd or dvd in to it ,to watch or rip it , i'm looking forward to it ;-).
I always disliked the plastic of the macbook, and was looking forward to aluminium version of it for some time now.

Unspeaked
Dec 4, 2007, 09:27 AM
Am I the only one thinking a 13.3" screen does not really make an laptop ultra portable...?

rosalindavenue
Dec 4, 2007, 09:30 AM
2 observations: 1. Manufacturer rumors are incredibly unreliable. 2. 13.3 is too big, no matter how thin. I'm still holding on to my 12" G4 ibook for the form factor; ultraportable needs to be 9 or 10 inches.

Beefeater
Dec 4, 2007, 09:31 AM
I hope they get the LED back lit displays in the iMac. Maybe it will improve the look of their displays...

Kwill
Dec 4, 2007, 09:32 AM
I thought in Steve's open letter, ALL Mac displays were supposed to be LED by the end of 2007. :confused:

notjustjay
Dec 4, 2007, 09:36 AM
Am I the only one thinking a 13.3" screen does not really make an laptop ultra portable...?

I was just going to say...

Uh, people, how do we know this is for a brand new product? I think this is just a refresh for the MacBooks.

I'll believe the "ultra slim" rumor when I see it. That said, I have room reserved on my line of credit ;)

Le Big Mac
Dec 4, 2007, 09:37 AM

Yes--it seems odd that at best it would be a slimmer macbook. If it's going to be something different and "ultraportable" I would think it's (as next poster mentions) 9-10" screen or so (maybe 11).

jackc
Dec 4, 2007, 09:42 AM
Good news, ultraslim > ultraportable anyway

SHOlover
Dec 4, 2007, 09:46 AM
yay maybe now I will be able to update my powerbook. unless they have glossy screens.

Yeah...What is up with glossy? I really like the way they look, but as far as functionality goes, they are miserable. GLARE-city! Geez!:(

olliebraves20
Dec 4, 2007, 09:53 AM
Uh, people, how do we know this is for a brand new product? I think this is just a refresh for the MacBooks.

I agree....Why would Apple want to make a 13.3 inch Macbook Pro?? Wouldn't that pretty much get rid of most of the market for regular Macboks? I am hoping that they do announce an ultra-portable at Macworld...however if that is 13.3 I will be disappointed.....then again maybe I'm just being picky....I mean how much difference is there between 12 and 13....by 12 I'm referring to my old PowerBook.....

jholzner
Dec 4, 2007, 09:59 AM
I thought in Steve's open letter, ALL Mac displays were supposed to be LED by the end of 2007. :confused:

Nope. This is what he said:

"Apple plans to completely eliminate the use of arsenic in all of its displays by the end of 2008.

Apple plans to reduce and eventually eliminate the use of mercury by transitioning to LED backlighting for all displays when technically and economically feasible."

Lonon
Dec 4, 2007, 10:02 AM
I love when MacRumors ansd AppleInsider change what they said before.

When they have sources of a 13' then it's a posible ultraportable macbook. When there's no news, then they say "oh, it must be a 7' portable, bigger than the iPhone but smaller than a macbook".

PICK. ONE. RUMOR.

And stick with it.

saudansari
Dec 4, 2007, 10:04 AM
I remember reading something about the new macbook being more aggresively priced. Actually it's in the 9to5 mac link that someone has already posted on this thread. What do you think they mean by "aggressively"? I'm thinking they mean more friendly to the wallet, something apple needs to do to increase it's market share. Also, you think it'll be 100 bucks cheaper for us students like the current macbooks?

igazza
Dec 4, 2007, 10:08 AM
13 inch is small enough i hope these things dont have glossy screens

pixieotronic
Dec 4, 2007, 10:09 AM
Couldn't this order (if this is real) be for the regular Macbooks?
If Apple releases an Ultra-Portable I'm gonna laugh really hard at your faces when you realise it will cost more than 3000$ and will be underpowered and with limited storage. Just look at the new Sony that costs 3200$ and only has a 32GB drive and a 1.2 Ghz Intel Centrino Duo.

anthonyb
Dec 4, 2007, 10:17 AM
just as long as it has the dvi out.. so i can plug it into a bigger monitor for home/office use.

honeycrisp
Dec 4, 2007, 10:21 AM
Here's my prediction:

Apple announces it is switching to an aluminum case for all laptops, thus the MacBook will change it's appearance and screen, but keep the rest of the specs.

No ultra-portable or tablet.

Makes sense to me, especially when we see them moving to all metal designs in the imac and ipod lines...

Thomas2006
Dec 4, 2007, 10:26 AM
If this ultra-portable is going to be grouped in the "pro" line then what type of graphics will/can be used?

Cybergypsy
Dec 4, 2007, 10:27 AM
I can do without the yellowing.........

alana22
Dec 4, 2007, 10:29 AM
Wait what happened to the ULTRAportable 12" ???? I already have a 13.3 MB!

This thing better be paper thin and beautiful! Throw the optical drive to the wolves.

Eidorian
Dec 4, 2007, 10:29 AM
Nice, but how much will it cost compared to the regular MacBook?

DaBrain
Dec 4, 2007, 10:33 AM
I remember reading something about the new macbook being more aggresively priced. Actually it's in the 9to5 mac link that someone has already posted on this thread. What do you think they mean by "aggressively"? I'm thinking they mean more friendly to the wallet, something apple needs to do to increase it's market share. Also, you think it'll be 100 bucks cheaper for us students like the current macbooks?

It either means cheaper or aggressively digs deeper in ones wallet! Time will tell! :D

CrEsTo
Dec 4, 2007, 10:38 AM
Nice, but how much will it cost compared to the regular MacBook?

If the current MacBook starts at $1099, I'd at least expect a $100-$150 drop off

JFreak
Dec 4, 2007, 10:40 AM
Don't you think it will just mean that Macbooks get LED backlights? Didn't they say all displays are going to be LED backlighted eventually...

CrEsTo
Dec 4, 2007, 10:43 AM
Don't you think it will just mean that Macbooks get LED backlights? Didn't they say all displays are going to be LED backlighted eventually...

I agree. But there's the possibility of a 13.3" MBP.

mpw
Dec 4, 2007, 10:48 AM
No, I really wanted to see a competitor to the Sony TZ. If Sony can sell as many as they do of those I wonder why Apple don't want to compete?

I agree that this is more likely, but I'd have thought that'd bring the MB too close in spec to the MBP range, especially any smaller screened MBP.

dal20402
Dec 4, 2007, 10:50 AM
If Apple releases an Ultra-Portable I'm gonna laugh really hard at your faces when you realise it will cost more than 3000$ and will be underpowered and with limited storage. Just look at the new Sony that costs 3200$ and only has a 32GB drive and a 1.2 Ghz Intel Centrino Duo.

Apples to oranges... that 32GB drive is an SSD drive. The next model down costs only $2300 and has a 100GB 1.8" (iPod-style) conventional hard drive.

I would expect to see LED-backlit displays in both "regular" MacBooks and the new slim 13.3" machine.

The problem with 11" or smaller machines (like the small VAIOs), for me, is that they are unusable for any serious work due to both screen and keyboard size. If I'm just going to have a machine to check email and get info from the Web, I might as well skip the laptop entirely and use an iPhone. If I'll carry a laptop, I want to be able to do serious work with it. A 13.3" 1440x900 screen and a full-size keyboard, in a thin package with SSD hard drive and no optical drive, would fit that bill perfectly. Of course it would cost at least $2000 that I don't have right now... :rolleyes:

morespce54
Dec 4, 2007, 10:51 AM
Yeah...What is up with glossy? I really like the way they look, but as far as functionality goes, they are miserable. GLARE-city! Geez!:(

What? You don't like the fact that you can see your buddies miles away coming from behind while surfing on the Web or working in Mail? :eek::rolleyes:;)

Marx55
Dec 4, 2007, 10:54 AM
13-inch ultra-portable?

Nope!

An ultra-portable must be much, much, much smaller. Say, 6 inches or so. The full Mac OS X computer experience in your hand. Otherwise, we do not want it.

kevindosi
Dec 4, 2007, 10:57 AM
I was about to buy a new macbook, and my friend was about to buy a new iMac tomorrow. Should we just wait until after Macworld? I know both of them were just recently updated, so I don't think they would be updated again so soon... right?

juanm
Dec 4, 2007, 11:00 AM

I remember some Apple executive saying not too long ago that in a matter of months, all the screens would be LED-lit. Maybe this is the one more thing Steve's keeping up his sleeve for MacWorld 08... LED MacBooks! :p

slicecom
Dec 4, 2007, 11:00 AM
TOO BIG! Let me know when they order some 10" or 12" screens.

MarlboroLite
Dec 4, 2007, 11:01 AM
I really think this is a redesigned Macbook...if this thing is going to be super thin, they cannot include it in the MBP line simply because it's not going to have Pro specs. If they wanna get rid of the optical drive and have a half inch thick machine you can forget about a 2.5 or 2.6 Ghz penryn processor!

And like everyone else said, 13 inch is not ultraportable. I think this has to be new line of Macbooks that eliminates the plastic and the optical drive.

If it is so, and it is aluminum enclosed and looks sexy as hell I'm going to have to think twice about getting a MBP which I'm waiting for!:rolleyes:

DaBrain
Dec 4, 2007, 11:06 AM
I really think this is a redesigned Macbook...if this thing is going to be super thing, they cannot include it in the MBP line simply because it's not going to have Pro specs. If they wanna get rid of the optical drive and have a half inch thick machine you can forget about a 2.5 or 2.6 Ghz penryn processor!

And like everyone else said, 13 inch is not ultraportable. I think this has to be new line of Macbooks that eliminates the plastic and the optical drive.

If it is so, and it is aluminum enclosed and looks sexy as hell I'm going to have to think twice about getting a MBP which I'm waiting for!:rolleyes:

I only hope they have some kind of plastic insert that s located where the wireless card antennas are located for optimum reception. Of course it would have to be color co-ordinated! :D

caktusaurus
Dec 4, 2007, 11:07 AM
I'm wondering about what advantages LED has over traditional CCFL-backlit displays...

This is what I've gathered from a bit of research:

* Lower energy consumption
* More friendly to the environment
* Brighter
* Produces more even backlight

Please correct me if I'm incorrect on any point or if I've left something out. Do viewing angles improve?

OdduWon
Dec 4, 2007, 11:28 AM
These do not look "ultra-Portable" (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ko_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lg.co.kr%2Fpress%2Flgnews%2Fnews%2Fnews_view.jsp%3Fsection%3Dobj_product%26from %3Dsearch%26page%3D1%26press_no%3D11886%26search_kind%3D%26search_word%3D). They look heavy in the girls hands. I think we will get the 13.3" rather than a <12" because of widescreen format. The PB 12" was not widescreen but was adequate for it's day, I still see them around all the time. The Apple 13.3" MBP I hope will have comparable specs to the Linked LG models, or else what is the point? Wouldn't it be easier to make a MB smaller? a mini macbook would be nice, plenty of power for the on the go casual user. The MBP mini for "pros", the MB mini for your girl friend.

JonnyBowley
Dec 4, 2007, 11:33 AM
Here's my prediction:

Apple announces it is switching to an aluminum case for all laptops, thus the MacBook will change it's appearance and screen, but keep the rest of the specs.

Makes sense to me, especially when we see them moving to all metal designs in the imac and ipod lines...

I'd second that if I could only figure but why they'd lose the drives in consumer models...

I'm waiting til next summer for my switchover anyway, and it ain't gonna be an ultraportable I'm after.

RichP
Dec 4, 2007, 11:42 AM
Why does everyone want this machine to be so small? The utltraportable, ultrasmall PC market has just gone in new direction: the eepc that cost $300.

Give me a machine with a screen and keyboard so that I can actually do some work on it, not just check email, web, and documents. A 13.3 ultralight, ultraslim laptop is still going to be roughly the the size of a sheet of standard paper...seems small enough to me. Make that sub 3lbs and and .5" thick and it will be a nice machine.

lcm123
Dec 4, 2007, 11:42 AM
I hope it will be lighter than the Sony Vaio's 2.4lbs lightest laptop (which is not even all flash based drive)

ibjoshua
Dec 4, 2007, 11:46 AM

When they have sources of a 13' then it's a posible ultraportable macbook. When there's no news, then they say "oh, it must be a 7' portable, bigger than the iPhone but smaller than a macbook".

PICK. ONE. RUMOR.

And stick with it.

I seriously doubt that you'll find anyone on Macrumors who thinks a seven foot screen is ultra-portable, never mind a thirteen foot one. :)

Macula
Dec 4, 2007, 11:49 AM
OK, everyone, prepare for a yellow-tinted mac world.

(Is there anyone in this forum who does not get the hint?)

Macula
Dec 4, 2007, 11:49 AM

Well, it's still 2007, and a 15-day delay in January doesn't really count.

Cloudsurfer
Dec 4, 2007, 11:52 AM
13" is the perfect size. Can't wait for MW08 :D

phoxrenvatio
Dec 4, 2007, 11:59 AM
my question is for all of the people complaining about glossy screens. can't you choose wether or not you want a glossy screen?:eek:

happydude
Dec 4, 2007, 11:59 AM
reaching for credit card . . . *sigh* in 40+ days. i do hope it is 12", but my G4 powerbook is officially dead so i'll get whatever they come out with. just waiting for the smallest something you create. you win, steve . . . just please make it exactly what i want. shouldn't be too much to ask according to so many on macrumors!!

DanBUK
Dec 4, 2007, 12:01 PM
<Shyly raises hand>
ahem. Yellow tinted macworld? Is this a reference to the discolo(u)ration of white MacBooks?

vendettabass
Dec 4, 2007, 12:02 PM
I'm wondering about what advantages LED has over traditional CCFL-backlit displays...

This is what I've gathered from a bit of research:

* Lower energy consumption
* More friendly to the environment
* Brighter
* Produces more even backlight

Please correct me if I'm incorrect on any point or if I've left something out. Do viewing angles improve?

also last a lot longer, and dont dim over time :) also take less time to reach full brightness when you've woke them up

Cloudsurfer
Dec 4, 2007, 12:07 PM
my question is for all of the people complaining about glossy screens. can't you choose wether or not you want a glossy screen?:eek:

If it falls under the Pro line, then yes. I'm going for glossy, though.

iMichael72
Dec 4, 2007, 12:08 PM
Saving starts now! I hope this is true.

fou
Dec 4, 2007, 12:09 PM
I cant understand. We talking about 13" Ultraportable MACBOOK or MACBOOKpro. Is it a possibility of an new Macbook so early?

eenu
Dec 4, 2007, 12:10 PM
These screens do not make an ultra portable these are just LED screens for a Macbook update to ensure Steve delivers on his LED BL promise.

sedarby
Dec 4, 2007, 12:10 PM
All this focus on smaller is better. You guys can't possibly have girlfriends. ;) Bring it on bigger, bolder and with style. Think iMac that runs on batteries. :D
Small screen equals teeny tiny icons and text. They should provide a magnifying glass for some of these ultraportable machines.

Yvan256
Dec 4, 2007, 12:15 PM

I agree with you. It seems that some people think that a 13.3" screen with a 0.5" thick laptop weighing under 1Kg equals ultra-portable.

It's not ultra-portable if you can't also fit it in the same space as a sheet of paper.

Apple needs to "unlock" the iPod touch and give it Mail and Google Maps (without the map features of the iPhone). It already has Safari, so yes you can access Web mail and use regular Google Maps, but it's not the same, I guess.

Anyway I'm not buying an iPod touch until I can get 32GB for the price of the 8GB.

Clive At Five
Dec 4, 2007, 12:15 PM
The optimist in me hopes this is juat a replacement display for the MacBooks.

The pessimist in me fears that these are for the "ultra-portable." I will be baffled to see how Apple would intend on making a 13" laptop "ultra-portable." The two just don't seem to mix in my mind. Not that I'd be buying one, but I was really hoping for something in the 8-11" range.

-Clive

Clancycoop
Dec 4, 2007, 12:16 PM
13-inch ultra-portable?

Nope!

An ultra-portable must be much, much, much smaller. Say, 6 inches or so. The full Mac OS X computer experience in your hand. Otherwise, we do not want it.

You may not want it, but there are plenty who do. Remember rumors are just rumors. Apple may not even be entering the ultra-portable market. So when they release a 13" Alum. Notebook all these peope will be disappointed and say "Thats not ultra portable!" But it doesnt matter. Apple never said they were making one.

A 13" alum. one is what I am looking for. What would you even do with a 6" fully functional notebook that you can't do on your iPhone? I mean, I can't see doing much more than email and browsing. 6" photoshop? No thanks.

Apple is not going to release a notebook to be a "2nd Computer" as most buyers don't want an entourage of notebooks. Let's be logical people.

Stridder44
Dec 4, 2007, 12:17 PM
I was just going to say...

I'll believe the "ultra slim" rumor when I see it. That said, I have room reserved on my line of credit ;)

Damnit I was just talking myself out of waiting for the MBP updates and getting a MB instead and now this!? @#$%

Yvan256
Dec 4, 2007, 12:18 PM

Well, you could always use a hammer to "fix" the gloss screen. I'm not sure the LCD behind it would survive though. ;)

Stridder44
Dec 4, 2007, 12:20 PM
Why does everyone want this machine to be so small? The utltraportable, ultrasmall PC market has just gone in new direction: the eepc that cost $300.

Give me a machine with a screen and keyboard so that I can actually do some work on it, not just check email, web, and documents. A 13.3 ultralight, ultraslim laptop is still going to be roughly the the size of a sheet of standard paper...seems small enough to me. Make that sub 3lbs and and .5" thick and it will be a nice machine.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/1/1f/Reducto.jpg

Clive At Five
Dec 4, 2007, 12:24 PM
If the current MacBook starts at $1099, I'd at least expect a $100-$150 drop off

HA!

...oh, that wasn't a joke?

SSD drives aren't cheap, nor are LED-backlit displays, nor are Macs to begin with. You should know that.

I seriously doubt that you'll find anyone on Macrumors who thinks a seven foot screen is ultra-portable, never mind a thirteen foot one. :)

Too funny!

-Clive

kornyboy
Dec 4, 2007, 12:28 PM
This should be cool. Let's wait and see what Apple makes of it. I do miss the small form factor Powerbooks they were much more portable than the 15" and 17." At least if they do this it will match the macbook as far a portability goes.

twoodcc
Dec 4, 2007, 12:28 PM
sounds great, except i wish they made one smaller than 13" though

OdduWon
Dec 4, 2007, 12:33 PM
13" is the perfect size. Can't wait for MW08 :D
Agreed, 13.3 would fit a 8.5"x11" form factor, and with more than .28" of room on all sides. Could be perfect for this familiar size. But the ratio is not standard. What is the ratio of the new LED's? What, somewhat standard format ratio, diagonal LED would fit into a ~11"x~8.5" form factor?
Does anyone consider the New LG 13.3 LED's (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ko_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lg.co.kr%2Fpress%2Flgnews%2Fnews%2Fnews_view.jsp%3Fsection%3Dobj_product%26from %3Dsearch%26page%3D1%26press_no%3D11886%26search_kind%3D%26search_word%3D) "ultra-Portable"? Was the PBG4 12"?
MBUP<13.3" . MBP>13.3" ;)

mandoman
Dec 4, 2007, 12:39 PM
Here's my prediction:

I agree 100%

RichP
Dec 4, 2007, 12:40 PM
You may not want it, but there are plenty who do.]6" photoshop? No thanks...

Apple is not going to release a notebook to be a "2nd Computer" as most buyers don't want an entourage of computers. Let's be logical people.

Agreed, 13.3 would fit a 8.5"x11" form factor, and with more than .28" of room on all sides. Could be perfect for this familiar size. But the ratio is not standard. What is the ratio of the new LED's? What, somewhat standard format ratio, diagonal LED would fit into a ~11"x~8.5" form factor?
Does anyone consider the New LG 13.3 LED's (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ko_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lg.co.kr%2Fpress%2Flgnews%2Fnews%2Fnews_view.jsp%3Fsection%3Dobj_product%26from %3Dsearch%26page%3D1%26press_no%3D11886%26search_kind%3D%26search_word%3D) "ultra-Portable"? Was the PBG4 12"?
MBUP<13.3" . MBP>13.3" ;)

Exactly. This is a machine that is a 2nd machine if you have a desktop apple product. A machine you can run photoshop and other professional apps and be useable (even if they aren't lightening fast) Make this a sub 10" machine and it is not going to have the same level of usability.

Virgil-TB2
Dec 4, 2007, 12:45 PM
looks as though all the prayers for those in need of an ultra portable are being answered. i don't need one but i am very excited to see what this is all about because this is only going to take apple another step forward in the notebook industry!As one of the thousands waiting for the ultra-portable or "MacBook nano," this is a disappointing announcement to me.

What's "hot" right now in windows laptops, and what I hope the nano will be, is a small form factor. This screen on the other hand, is as big (or bigger) than the current MacBooks and that just doesn't equate to "nano" in my mind.

Sure it will be cool, and ridiculously thin and light if Apple does it's usual great design job, but here's hoping they also have a "real" nano waiting to be released also.

In my university, there are literally hundreds of new students this year with those tiny little Sony laptops and lately a lot of Asus eePC's. This is the coming trend in ultraportables IMO.

If Apples answer is just a thinner MacBook with no CD drive, that might not be as popular as people think. I'm hoping that this is for the rumoured tablet Mac or a new version of the MacBook. I want a laptop I can fold up, put in my jacket and run out the door, not another MacBook with another special carry bag, power adapter, etc. etc. etc.

lazyrighteye
Dec 4, 2007, 12:46 PM
I agree....Why would Apple want to make a 13.3 inch Macbook Pro?? Wouldn't that pretty much get rid of most of the market for regular Macboks? I am hoping that they do announce an ultra-portable at Macworld...however if that is 13.3 I will be disappointed.....then again maybe I'm just being picky....I mean how much difference is there between 12 and 13....by 12 I'm referring to my old PowerBook.....

I had a 12" Powermac.
While the form factor was nice & tight, it was a mess to sit and do anything resembling real work on (audio/video, graphics, etc.) - especially for durations longer than ~ an hour. Technically, one could do all sorts of things on the 12". But the combo of the small screen and any application's palettes left the user very little viewing area. Mail, Safari, iLife apps? No problem (especially with Exposť and other real-estate efficiencies). But I hardly consider those pro apps or uses.

Can you see the artists at Pixar hunkered over a 9" ultra-portable machine, for hours on end? Me neither.

Thus, it has always struck me as odd that so many are clamoring for the next MacBook Pro to be an ultra-portable. Why?

And I'm not anti ultra-portable, at all. I just don't see that a device targeted at the pro user (video, graphics, etc.). Maybe a pro users' tax bracket, but that's another thread. No, I see a true ultra-portable targeted at more the highly mobile, everyday user. Students, metros, etc. And in this case, I too think 13.3" is too big for what I consider an ultra-portable. I'm thinking more in the 5-8" range. Something between an iPhone and MacBook.

But maybe that's just me...

caktusaurus
Dec 4, 2007, 12:55 PM
I'm also thinking (and hoping) that these screens will replace the CCFL ones in the current MacBooks.

popelife
Dec 4, 2007, 01:15 PM
My prediction (like anyone cares) is a revamp of the entire MacBook Pro range, which a new 13" model would be part of.

13" doesn't qualify as ultraportable, but I don't care too much as long as it's full-featured and not under-powered. It'd be a lot more portable than the 15. Pickup a 15" MBP, then a MacBook... Or try to use a 15 in a cramped train/airplane seat. It's surprising how much difference an inch and a half makes.

What I'd like to see though is a higher-res screen than the MacBook. If they could get the resolution of the 15 into a 13.3 screen, that'd be ideal.

Then make it significantly lighter and thinner, and possibly smaller (less bezel) than the MacBook. Sexy-looking aluminium case. Charge a premium (compared to the MB). We're there.

(which to some degree is what the old 12" PB was compared to the iBook. Thinner, smaller... It only fell down for me because it was a lot more expensive but not significantly more powerful)

Leaving out the DVD drive...? I'd prefer to have one built-in, but if it enables Apple to create a dramatically smaller form-factor then I'd love to see it. I could live without an optical drive 90% of the time. I'd assume they would put a cute external in the box.

To my mind, a true "ultraportable" is a whole other product category which perhaps Apple isn't ready to enter... and it could be argued that it's catered for by iPhone to a degree, once proper 3rd party apps start appearing. I mean, if a bit of web browsing and sending emails is all an ultraportable is good for, isn't that called an iPhone?

My final thought... What if they went higher-resolution with the 15" screen as well? Do you think there'd still be a market for the 17"?

MrCrowbar
Dec 4, 2007, 01:17 PM
You're all wrong! It's for the new 13" Cinema displays! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I think it's just for the next Macbook refresh. A 13" Macbook Pro would be possible, especially if Apple plans to redesign the Macbook Pro line to match the Macbook line more closely. I mean, even iMacs have the Macbook Keyboard Style, so that tells us Apple likes those keyboards.

I can imagine a lifted aluminum Macbook, i.e. thinner overall, thinner screen bezel, smaller footprint with same screen size, magnetic latches and all. Use a low end dedicated graphics card and an additional integrated one for battery savings. Many manufacturers do that for their portable gamer oriented machines. We might lose the uber easy hard drive access for smaller size though. Maybe lose the optical drive and bundle it with a wireless (draft n) Superdrive that can be powered over USB (Airport Extreme, iPod Power Adaptor, Mac). The saved space can be used for a larger battery or an express card slot. Apparently, many people buy the Macbook Pro mainly because of the express card slot, so having that in the 13" makes sense.

andyadler
Dec 4, 2007, 01:21 PM
Perhaps there should be a new name for this class of machine: the SortaPorta.

sk8ordie
Dec 4, 2007, 01:24 PM
Heres to hoping for a 13" MBP with good battery life and sub ~$1599 price tag.

NYCMacFan
Dec 4, 2007, 01:32 PM

Let's say its 2lbs or 2.5lbs and less than .5 inch thick. Big foot print, tiny everything else.

1. Would something that light be ultraportable?

I think so, but take your point

2. Would there be a market for it?

Yes. I will buy immediately and in my personal case would prefer to smaller screens.

I like a bigger screen and non-cramped keyboard. I own a 10 and 12 inch (widescreen) ultraportable from Apple competitors and find the screen hard to watch and in the case of the widescreen almost no vertical viewing area (problematic for word, powerpoint and some web surfing.

I also have an old 12inch PB and that screen is fine (the 13.3 letterbox has the same vertical viewing area). I like it and use it every day.

JFreak
Dec 4, 2007, 01:35 PM
Maybe lose the optical drive and bundle it with a wireless (draft n) Superdrive that can be powered over USB

Why would you think that transfering data over wireless would be faster than trasnfering via USB? Surely USB could be used for data transfer if it can be used for power transfer...

(802.11n has max transfer rate of 248Mbit/s and USB2 has 480Mbit/s, and we all know how reliably wireless can sustain the maximum transfer rate)

NYCMacFan
Dec 4, 2007, 01:39 PM
OK, everyone, prepare for a yellow-tinted mac world.

(Is there anyone in this forum who does not get the hint?)

I don't....

Unspeaked
Dec 4, 2007, 01:47 PM
Let's say its 2lbs or 2.5lbs and less than .5 inch thick. Big foot print, tiny everything else.

1. Would something that light be ultraportable?

I think so, but take your point

2. Would there be a market for it?

Yes. I will buy immediately and in my personal case would prefer to smaller screens.

I like a bigger screen and non-cramped keyboard. I own a 10 and 12 inch (widescreen) ultraportable from Apple competitors and find the screen hard to watch and in the case of the widescreen almost no vertical viewing area (problematic for word, powerpoint and some web surfing.

I also have an old 12inch PB and that screen is fine (the 13.3 letterbox has the same vertical viewing area). I like it and use it every day.

The trouble with the form factor you describe is:

1. It's still too close to the current MacBook. Yes, it's much thinner and lighter, but it's not the sort of device you can just throw in a small bag or even a large coat pocket. You'd still need a dedicated way to carry the thing around, and depending on how much case integrity you sacrifice for the thinner form factor, you may need an even more substantial bag than current laptops use to prevent it from being damaged.

2. Even if you're correct and there is a market, the market is not nearly as large as that of a "true" ultra portable. Why would Apple put the R&D into a smaller laptop and then release something that isn't far enough from their current offerings and wouldn't capitalize on what the public is clamoring for? You can say what you like about what form factor you prefer, but I think it's clear to even a casual observer that Apple users (diehard and casual alike) are simply dying for a Mac you can hold in the palm of your hand, or at the very least a replacement for the old 12" PowerBook form factor you mention. This looks to be neither of those.

What is really needed is something to bridge the gap between the iPhone/iPod Touch and the MacBook.

Something with a 7" to 10" display, 32GB or more of storage, a decent hard drive and standard ports. Price this at $1,000 to $2,000 depending on the configuration and you'll have yourself one hot seller...

splintah
Dec 4, 2007, 01:56 PM
its an ultraportable multitouch wacom cintiq with osx
its an ultraportable multitouch wacom cintiq with osx

pleeeeeeezzzzeeeee

WITH dedicated graphis of course

JFreak
Dec 4, 2007, 01:57 PM
I don't....

LED-backlighted MBP's have slightly more yellowish color than before

nemaslov
Dec 4, 2007, 01:58 PM

Me three hates the glossy screens. I want to view the screen, not what is out side the window behind me. And yes SMALL. Still love my 12"PB

timmillwood
Dec 4, 2007, 02:33 PM
im hoping for 10"

joegomolski
Dec 4, 2007, 02:55 PM
Hum, it looks to me that this LED screen will be living in a MacBook Pro.

I can't see an upgrade to the MacBook, until sometime, later in 2008.

But the MBP line, that's different.

I bought one of the first MBP, at MacWorld 2006.

The MBP selling today look exactly like my 2 year old model. That's a fairly long time being a model make over.

I've been saving my money for an ultraportable.

Squonk
Dec 4, 2007, 02:57 PM
My prediction (like anyone cares) is a revamp of the entire MacBook Pro range, which a new 13" model would be part of.

13" doesn't qualify as ultraportable, but I don't care too much as long as it's full-featured and not under-powered. It'd be a lot more portable than the 15. Pickup a 15" MBP, then a MacBook... Or try to use a 15 in a cramped train/airplane seat. It's surprising how much difference an inch and a half makes.

What I'd like to see though is a higher-res screen than the MacBook. If they could get the resolution of the 15 into a 13.3 screen, that'd be ideal.

Then make it significantly lighter and thinner, and possibly smaller (less bezel) than the MacBook. Sexy-looking aluminium case. Charge a premium (compared to the MB). We're there.

(which to some degree is what the old 12" PB was compared to the iBook. Thinner, smaller... It only fell down for me because it was a lot more expensive but not significantly more powerful)

I totally agree with you here.

To my mind, a true "ultraportable" is a whole other product category which perhaps Apple isn't ready to enter... and it could be argued that it's catered for by iPhone to a degree, once proper 3rd party apps start appearing. I mean, if a bit of web browsing and sending emails is all an ultraportable is good for, isn't that called an iPhone?

Or another product in between the iPhone and the 13" MB/MBP offerings. Say the Newton redux....

My final thought... What if they went higher-resolution with the 15" screen as well? Do you think there'd still be a market for the 17"?

I want a 15" HD screen for myself. And yeah, I think there will still be a market for the 17" and the 17" HD. There are always people who want more real estate...

Good Post! (probably because we mainly agree... :p)

nsjoker
Dec 4, 2007, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know if LED displays are resistant to dead pixels??

psychofreak
Dec 4, 2007, 03:07 PM

Nothing to do with each other...LED is the backlighting...

nsjoker
Dec 4, 2007, 03:09 PM
Does anyone know if LED displays are resistant to dead/stuck pixels??

Squonk
Dec 4, 2007, 03:14 PM

Does anyone know if LED displays are resistant to dead/stuck pixels??

The answer is still no. The pixels are on the LCD panel in front of the LED backlight. And do not even think of asking you father for this too... :D

SHOlover
Dec 4, 2007, 03:38 PM
I get what you are saying but...Does anyone know if LED displays are resistant to dead/stuck pixels?? :confused:

kingtj
Dec 4, 2007, 03:50 PM
I could even envision a change where Apple quit selling 2 separate lines of notebooks. Realistically, the Macbook Pro is what almost ALL Macbook owners would really rather have anyway, minus the price tag.

Sure, there's a lot of love for various features of the Macbook ... the plastic cases that are "less likely to show scratches or develop nasty dings or dents", for example, or the slightly smaller form-factor, or even the new keyboard design.

But none of these things are things that couldn't be addressed or overcome by simply offering 3 or 4 Mac notebooks of different sizes, and pricing them around where current Macbooks are priced.

As nice as the current Macbook Pros are, they've been out in essentially the same basic configuration for over a year now. They started out as the best value for the dollar for something with a Core Duo CPU in it, but currently, they look overpriced. On the flip-side, 90% of Macbook owners could benefit from a non-integrated video chipset (allows 3D games, as well as making OS X just feel a little snappier, and gives them the chance to dabble in "Pro" apps like Motion which they might use in college video production courses and the like).

I could see offering this "consolidated" Macbook in a 13.3", a 15" and a 17" screen size ... potentially making the DVD drive a USB external box in order to make the whole lot 2x as slim, and going with backlit keyboards across the board. Perhaps offer a couple different video chipset configurations for each of the models too - so those wanting higher-end video could get it at a premium price? And following the trend for everything else Apple is making now, all will be aluminum (for better or for worse).

Blaine
Dec 4, 2007, 03:51 PM
I get what you are saying but...Does anyone know if LED displays are resistant to dead/stuck pixels?? :confused:

NO.

AlBDamned
Dec 4, 2007, 03:53 PM
I hope all of you mugs saying "I'm gonna get the first one that comes into the store!!!" will remember not to complain when it breaks. Being a Rev A product and everything.... ;)

PCMacUser
Dec 4, 2007, 04:04 PM
I hope all of you mugs saying "I'm gonna get the first one that comes into the store!!!" will remember not to complain when it breaks. Being a Rev A product and everything.... ;)

Haha well I suppose that's what warranties are for, and also don't early adopters get cash rebates from Apple after a few months? ;)

ClassicMac247
Dec 4, 2007, 04:08 PM
I absolutely cannot wait .... AHHHHHH!!!:apple:

joshwalker
Dec 4, 2007, 04:10 PM
I don't believe all this ultra-portable, or macbook-nano hype. I think Apple is seeking to fill the niche that it left with the 12"PB. A fully functional laptop with most of the features and power of the full sized MBP, but smaller. In addition, it will have some killer features that may lead to even smaller sub-notebooks.

Features:
Hybrid SDD/Harddrive: The price of a fully Flash system would be huge (3K+), but I think they will put in 8GB for OS only. (In addition to pruning down OSX to fit on it.) They will also include the 80 or 160GB drives that ipod classic uses. This will make boot and OS features blazing fast, but not hinder the laptop for normal, everyday use. 16GB may be avail at higher prices.

Close to .5 inch size: This thing will look incredible, with a keyboard like the imac.

13.3" LED backlight: Duh! I think this is a great size. Same as the 12", but a little wider. I think the widescreen helps allow space for a decent keyboard as well.

10+ hours battery: The combo of the SDD, LED, and a low voltage processor will make this go and go.

2.0 - 2.2 GHz processor: It will be all about low voltage and reasonable price.

Downsides: No Superdrive (that's how it gets so thin, don't worry it'll have a sleek usb powered external drive), Price; I think it'll be in line with the middle and upper prices of 15" MBP (2500 - 3K).

I can't wait!

PP133
Dec 4, 2007, 04:14 PM
I can totally see them revamping the whole MBP line. I would be really surprised and disappointed if all they came out with in January was one slightly thinner MBP. I've been compiling different articles in a thread I started as to whether I should wait to buy a MBP right now or wait, take a look (it's at the bottom of the thread):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4577210&posted=1#post4577210

AlBDamned
Dec 4, 2007, 04:17 PM
13.3" LED backlight.... Same as the 12", but a little wider.

Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

Mugs
Dec 4, 2007, 04:19 PM

my names Mugs!!!! hehe sorry! anyway I also hope that the whole line gets a good revision!

Cloudsurfer
Dec 4, 2007, 04:21 PM
I don't believe all this ultra-portable, or macbook-nano hype. I think Apple is seeking to fill the niche that it left with the 12"PB. A fully functional laptop with most of the features and power of the full sized MBP, but smaller. In addition, it will have some killer features that may lead to even smaller sub-notebooks.

Features:
Hybrid SDD/Harddrive: The price of a fully Flash system would be huge (3K+), but I think they will put in 8GB for OS only. (In addition to pruning down OSX to fit on it.) They will also include the 80 or 160GB drives that ipod classic uses. This will make boot and OS features blazing fast, but not hinder the laptop for normal, everyday use. 16GB may be avail at higher prices.

Close to .5 inch size: This thing will look incredible, with a keyboard like the imac.

13.3" LED backlight: Duh! I think this is a great size. Same as the 12", but a little wider. I think the widescreen helps allow space for a decent keyboard as well.

10+ hours battery: The combo of the SDD, LED, and a low voltage processor will make this go and go.

Downsides: No Superdrive (that's how it gets so thin, don't worry it'll have a sleek usb powered external drive), Price; I think it'll be in line with the middle and upper prices of 15" MBP (2500 - 3K).

I can't wait!

If the Toshiba Protege R500 can have a superdrive with just a 12,1" screen, the MacBook Pro can definitely have one at 13,3". I just don't see Apple omitting the optical drive.

Squonk
Dec 4, 2007, 04:23 PM

Features:

I can't wait!

I think this is the most likely product that we'll be seeing in Jan. 10+ hours of battery is pretty aggressive, IMO. With a smaller, thinner form factor, the battery will be smaller too. I'm thinking more in the 6 hour range.

psychofreak
Dec 4, 2007, 04:24 PM

Every update someone says its RevA...which product do you count as RevB?

Whether its a slight change in case, processor, chipset, whatever constitutes as an update, people count it as Rev A...

andy721
Dec 4, 2007, 04:32 PM
Jan 08 why can't it be before christmas this is so time consumingly dumb. Now we have to wait another month. I just want a fu*king macpro so I can replace my 7yr old pile of crap.:mad:

caktusaurus
Dec 4, 2007, 04:34 PM
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/05/07/apple_moves_to_certify_led_backlit_panels_for_13_inch_macbooks.html

AlBDamned
Dec 4, 2007, 04:38 PM
Every update someone says its RevA...which product do you count as RevB?

Whether its a slight change in case, processor, chipset, whatever constitutes as an update, people count it as Rev A...

Perhaps it's got slightly more complicated with more frequent chipset and processor upgrades and changes to the screens (compared to the long-running G4s with just processor speed bumps and little else).

I guess a "new product line" would be more appropriate.

Cheffy Dave
Dec 4, 2007, 04:42 PM

I've seen a glossy screen on a Toshiba laptop,;) at my Son's house over Thanksgiving, and I must say-GORGEOUS! I think the screens I've seen on the i-Mac's at the Apple Store in the International Mall in Tampa are stunning.
This issue,IMHO is beating a dead horse.:cool::apple:

Cloudsurfer
Dec 4, 2007, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I personally wouldn't go back to matte myself either.

Hemingray
Dec 4, 2007, 04:46 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/1/1f/Reducto.jpg

Ha ha ha! Now you're talking my language. :D

mpw
Dec 4, 2007, 04:50 PM
...Being a Rev A product and everything.... ;)

Every update someone says its RevA...which product do you count as RevB?...

Nevermind which is Rev.B, which is Rev.A? How can a totally new product start at Rev.A, surely you have the "MacBook UltraPortable" at launch, then a few months later they revise it ('cause of the screen problem no doubt:rolleyes:) and that's Rev.A, months later they add BlueRay and a faux fur finish to Rev.B, Rev.C gets cup holders and so on.

AlBDamned
Dec 4, 2007, 05:02 PM
Nevermind which is Rev.B, which is Rev.A? How can a totally new product start at Rev.A, surely you have the "MacBook UltraPortable" at launch, then a few months later they revise it ('cause of the screen problem no doubt:rolleyes:) and that's Rev.A, months later they add BlueRay and a faux fur finish to Rev.B, Rev.C gets cup holders and so on.

It's a good point, the first revision being the one subsequent to the actual launch model. Again, "New product" would have been more appropriate. But "Rev A" has been used for a while, and semantic discussions can get boring very quickly....

Manatee
Dec 4, 2007, 05:16 PM
For sale: Sony Vaio VGN-TXN27N (with Apple sticker on the cover)

I'm ready! Is it January yet? Is it January yet? :)

Hemingray
Dec 4, 2007, 05:47 PM
How can a totally new product start at Rev.A

I've always wondered the same thing, ever since the G3 iMac... it seems silly to call a 1st generation product a "Rev[ision] A". Sooo... what was revised? The prototype?

The other thing that really irks me is Apple's version numbering for 10.4.10 and 10.4.11. I think they should have stuck with 10.4.9b, 9c, etc. Oh well. I agree with AlBDamned, it can get boring very quickly, so I'll shut up now. :p

Cinch
Dec 4, 2007, 06:03 PM
For sale: Sony Vaio VGN-TXN27N (with Apple sticker on the cover)

I'm ready! Is it January yet? Is it January yet? :)

A design team that names their laptop "VGN-TXN27N" is using their imagination in a perverted, raw, masturbatory and geeky way:D. You can't take them seriously! Honestly, do you have taste?:rolleyes:

Cinch

Derwood
Dec 4, 2007, 06:11 PM
One of the most recurrent cries, from a variety of perspectives it has to be said, has been the demise of the form factor last seen in the 12" PB. That's what we'll be seeing come January. Something to fill this gap.

I think that many have read into this rumor the idea of transitioning to Aluminium-MB's simply because Apple have recently ditched the white plastic on the iMac > Alu-iMac and iPod 5G > Classic revisions. There's a whole host of items in the product line-up for which we are not expecting a complete design overhaul for some time yet - AirportExtreme, :apple:TV, MacBooks. White plastic is here to stay. For the time being at least. I personally don't think that Apple will ever ditch it altogether.

Aluminium :apple:Remote, anyone?

There's been a lot of speculation about ripping out the optical drive. Will they? Won't they? Myself, I'm not certain. Apple certainly don't seem to have been in any great rush to roll-out Blu-Ray drives in their machines. Hmmm...

I doubt that Apple would move towards 1.8" hard-drives for this ultra-slim 13.3" MBP. Performance-wise those things would stink, wouldn't they? 3600rpm? I also think that the battery benefits of SSD over traditional HDD are consistently overstated. Would there currently be a disadvantage for Apple in moving a huge chunk of their product line-up to reliance on NAND Flash? Prices fluctuate, difficulties in terms of supply.

If they do introduce this it should be as part of a BIG overhaul to the MBP design. Tweak after tweak after tweak since they dropped the TiBook. The whole MBP range needs an aesthetic refresh. They will get the MacBook, chicklet style keyboard. Definitely.

MacSamurai
Dec 4, 2007, 06:20 PM
A design team that names their laptop "VGN-TXN27N" is using their imagination in a perverted, raw, masturbatory and geeky way:D. You can't take them seriously! Honestly, do you have taste?:rolleyes:

Cinch not nearly as bad as the name TrekStor initially gave to one of their MP3s the "iBeat Blaxx"

celloman
Dec 4, 2007, 07:44 PM
there have been a lot of rumors out there lately on this "new" macbook. However, some thing still is confusing me:

will the new macbooks be ultralight and ultra portable with no optical drive, or are they just a super slim macbook still with a optical drive?

why would people not want a optical drive? wouldnt it be a pain to carry around some external thing?

winterspan
Dec 4, 2007, 07:46 PM
All this focus on smaller is better. You guys can't possibly have girlfriends. ;) Bring it on bigger, bolder and with style. Think iMac that runs on batteries. :D
Small screen equals teeny tiny icons and text. They should provide a magnifying glass for some of these ultraportable machines.

'portable' iMac? WTF? Apparently you don't understand the appeal of having a small laptop... I'm going to speculate that you don't travel much nor have you been on a subway/commuter train recently...

Jacked up 80's Chevy pickup with 35" tires and no muffler? Hummer 2? yes.. bigger is better </sarcasm>

i, Podius
Dec 4, 2007, 07:56 PM
The rumour simply states that Apple is ordering LED back-lights for 13.3" LCD screens.

From this, you guys manage to divine some incredible ultra-portable with SSD's, no disc-drives, &c., &c., &c. (ok, I know the "no optical drive" rumour has been floating around for a while, but still)

Lets consider a few points: 13.3" is the current size of the MacBook screen. Logic would suggest that the MacBook is the laptop destined to receive these new back-lights - no new model is necessary to explain this information.

"Ahhh, but..." I hear you say "what about the aluminium rumour?"

Ignoring the fact that that is a separate rumour from the current information, we can consider the following recently updated Apple products: the iMac, and the iPod (Classic). Both have switched from the white/black plastic to anodised aluminium. The only product still featuring said plastic in Apple's line-up is the MacBook (and, admittedly, the Mac Mini & Apple TV, but only on the top, which is presumably to facilitate Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signals).

We can surmise from this that Apple may, following the current trend, transition the MacBook to aluminium enclosures, which would be slimmer than the plastic, and, combined with the slimming effect of an LED back-light, would make the MacBooks noticeably slimmer. How slim? Well, you'd have to ask an engineer - but considering how they harped on about how "amazingly slim" the new iMacs are at launch, they obviously think it's a big deal. Personally, I don't really see that the 1/2" makes a big deal on a desktop, but the utility of slimness in a laptop is obvious.

Now, for a bit of further speculation; I suspect Apple will make the new aluminium MacBooks available in the same range of colours as the current crop of iPod nanos and shuffles, because that's "fun". The MacBook Pros, at the same time, may be made available in the same black as that of the iPod classic, though I doubt they'll be made available in other colours, as bright blue laptops are "not professional". Those of you wondering "why shouldn't I be able to get any colour I want, if I'm paying for the more expensive model?" would do well to wonder that about the iPod classic, as well.

Possible objections to this hypothesis: "Aluminium is only for PRO products!"
I would be surprised if anyone still actually believes this, but then, people used to bring it up all the time in the aluminium iMac speculation threads, despite the existence of the aluminium Mac mini. Simply put: you're wrong.
"But having all the laptops as aluminium would confuse the product lines!"
Whilst I'll admit that there almost certainly are people out there that would be too stupid to tell the difference between MacBooks and MacBook PROs if they were to be made of the same material, chances are these people would either: A. be too stupid to operate a computer anyway, so it doesn't matter. B. end up buying the higher-spec'd Pro model unnecessarily, thus delivering more money to Apple, C. end up buying the MacBook that meets their needs, or D. somehow set themselves on fire whilst being bewildered by the automatic doors at the Apple store, and thus never manage to make their purchase anyway.
"Aluminium wouldn't work on a laptop, because it would interfere with Wi-Fi!"
It works on the MacBook Pro - obviously they've found a way.
"The rumour CLEARLY SAYS "Ultra-Portable""
Just like those rumours of resurrected Newtons, end-of-life'd Mac Mini's, 3G iPhones for Europe, &c., &c., &c....

P.S. If Apple does end up releasing multi-colour MacBooks, please, please, please don't advertise your ignorance by lauding it as "an exciting industry first!" because even Dell's doing it these days (http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs)... (not that I'm suggesting that they're doing it well, mind you...)

AlBDamned
Dec 4, 2007, 07:56 PM
why would people not want a optical drive? wouldnt it be a pain to carry around some external thing?

Having only used my DVD drive once in the last three months, I can see why it might be worth ditching, or at least having as an accessory.

celloman
Dec 4, 2007, 08:06 PM
Having only used my DVD drive once in the last three months, I can see why it might be worth ditching, or at least having as an accessory.

but what about movie making? wouldnt that destroy the purpose of imovie and idvd? what about things like that?

SheriffParker
Dec 4, 2007, 08:25 PM

PICK. ONE. RUMOR.

And stick with it.

13-foot ultraportable?

7-foot portable?

What happened to the "take it with you" part of portable??

AlBDamned
Dec 4, 2007, 08:27 PM
but what about movie making? wouldnt that destroy the purpose of imovie and idvd? what about things like that?

"or at least having it as an accessory"

Smurfed
Dec 4, 2007, 08:28 PM
Here's a 13.3" LED laptop that just came out from LG

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-15201-XNOTE+P300%2C+the+new+13.3%E2%80%9D+LED-backlight+Notebook+from+LG.html

Tech Specs are almost identical to the Current Macbook Pro's.

celloman
Dec 4, 2007, 08:30 PM
"or at least having it as an accessory"

how big do u think the accessory would/could be? :confused:

AlBDamned
Dec 4, 2007, 08:44 PM
how big do u think the accessory would/could be? :confused:

I don't know, but it could be pretty small especially if it were still a slot loader. Not sure how Apple-esque it would be though. And, of course, it would still need a cable somewhere, so the laptop would have to have a few ports.

Maybe a laptop without an optical drive would be a nod at the fact that storage, flash drives and networking, not to mention online media, is so much more prevalent now.

Having said that, maybe all the talk of no optical drive is a load of cr*p. Who knows.

i, Podius
Dec 4, 2007, 08:46 PM
One of the most recurrent cries, from a variety of perspectives it has to be said, has been the demise of the form factor last seen in the 12" PB. That's what we'll be seeing come January. Something to fill this gap.

I think that many have read into this rumor the idea of transitioning to Aluminium-MB's simply because Apple have recently ditched the white plastic on the iMac > Alu-iMac and iPod 5G > Classic revisions. There's a whole host of items in the product line-up for which we are not expecting a complete design overhaul for some time yet - AirportExtreme, :apple:TV, MacBooks. White plastic is here to stay. For the time being at least. I personally don't think that Apple will ever ditch it altogether.

Aluminium :apple:Remote, anyone?

There's been a lot of speculation about ripping out the optical drive. Will they? Won't they? Myself, I'm not certain. Apple certainly don't seem to have been in any great rush to roll-out Blu-Ray drives in their machines. Hmmm...

I doubt that Apple would move towards 1.8" hard-drives for this ultra-slim 13.3" MBP. Performance-wise those things would stink, wouldn't they? 3600rpm? I also think that the battery benefits of SSD over traditional HDD are consistently overstated. Would there currently be a disadvantage for Apple in moving a huge chunk of their product line-up to reliance on NAND Flash? Prices fluctuate, difficulties in terms of supply.

If they do introduce this it should be as part of a BIG overhaul to the MBP design. Tweak after tweak after tweak since they dropped the TiBook. The whole MBP range needs an aesthetic refresh. They will get the MacBook, chicklet style keyboard. Definitely.

I disagree with you on the plastic > aluminium transition, aluminium on a MacBook would help to make it slimmer, and (I think) lighter as well - an obvious enhancement. by contrast, the aluminium iMac transition was far less necessary: functionally speaking, most people don't really need their desktop that extra bit slimmer or lighter - laptops, however, are a different story. They could definitely do an aluminium remote - it would just look like a stretched version of the current iPod shuffles. The real question should be: would they offer it in different colours?

They certainly wouldn't go for a 1.8" drive; rather an SSD. For any kind of portable application, SSD is the future - I would be surprised if the entire iPod line isn't SSD one or two generations hence (as it stands, the Classic is the only model still using magnetic storage, which will no doubt change as prices on flash memory falls and capacities increase). I don't know why you think the battery benefits are overstated, everything I've read shows that they produce consistently better performance - just look at the battery results for the iPod Touch (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html) vs the Classic (http://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/specs.html) - despite having a screen twice the size and (if I recall correctly) a more powerful CPU, it still manages 22 hours of audio to the classic's 30, and both get 5 hours of video. Similarly, the Nano (http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/specs.html), which has a screen closer in size to the Classic and presumably the same processor, manages 24 hours of audio, despite a battery that must be about half the size. I would also think that as they order such huge quantities of SSDs - they have them in the iPod Nanos, Shuffles, Touches and the iPhone, after all - Apple could probably manage to get pretty consistent supply and pricing.

As for the Blu-Ray drives, they're only beginning to show up in the highest of the high-end, so I'd expect them to show up in the Pro models first. But considering that Apple still doesn't offer DVD Burners as standard on some (http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html) of their models (http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html), I wouldn't be expecting them to be leading the charge on Blu-Ray. An external optical drive for an ultra-portable wouldn't be especially unusual.

That said, I think the whole "ultra portable" rumour is a bit of a beat-up.

I disagree, however, that the MacBook Pros are in need of a re-design. There comes a point where a design is just good, and change becomes mostly unnecessary - bad, even. Just look at the iPod: whilst it has spawned spin-off models, other than getting slimmer, upgrading the screen & hard-drive and changing to aluminium, the overall design has remained the same for 6 generations now. I'm sure someone out there wants Apple to add handles, an antennae and a cup-holder, but I think most people would agree it's good as is. An important part of good design is knowing when to stop.

NYCMacFan
Dec 4, 2007, 09:02 PM
The trouble with the form factor you describe is:

1. It's still too close to the current MacBook. Yes, it's much thinner and lighter, but it's not the sort of device you can just throw in a small bag or even a large coat pocket.

[B]2. Even if you're correct and there is a market, the market is not nearly as large as that of a "true" ultra portable[/B

Something with a 7" to 10" display, 32GB or more of storage, a decent hard drive and standard ports. Price this at $1,000 to $2,000 depending on the configuration and you'll have yourself one hot seller...

*Hmm... I'd still say something the size of a paper 8.5 by 11ish and close to 2lbs would be pretty portable. Fits in my knapsack. I can't fit anything with 7 or 10 in anything smaller than that. For women, there are purses where the 7 or 10 is preferable.

*I hope the market can support both 10 and 12 inch systems and that Apple would introduce. I really believe there is NO real market for 7inches. Just falls into the zone where an IPOD touch does almost the same and the screen is too small for real work. I'd hope I am wrong, but do not assume that to be the case.

*I believe a lightweight 13inch will beat or match an ultraportable in sales. Whether the margins would be the same would be a different issue. Cannibalization of the 13.3 PB might be an issue, but sense the margin gains would make this less of an issue. We can have rough a sense by March of the sales numbers. We will just compare to ultraportable sales from Sony and Toshiba as those have the bulk.

celloman
Dec 4, 2007, 09:16 PM
I don't know, but it could be pretty small especially if it were still a slot loader. Not sure how Apple-esque it would be though. And, of course, it would still need a cable somewhere, so the laptop would have to have a few ports.

Maybe a laptop without an optical drive would be a nod at the fact that storage, flash drives and networking, not to mention online media, is so much more prevalent now.

Having said that, maybe all the talk of no optical drive is a load of cr*p. Who knows.

hahaha good point. one thing that has always bothered me on macbooks was the location of the ports. why are they on the left side? most right hand users the cord wraps around everything.

hahaha i just noticed something else, havent u guys ever been p.o.'ed when usb flash drives are big and they block other ports? that really annoys me :rolleyes:

NYCMacFan
Dec 4, 2007, 09:17 PM
I think Apple is seeking to fill the niche that it left with the 12"PB. A fully functional laptop with most of the features and power of the full sized MBP, but smaller.

Features:
Hybrid SDD/Harddrive: The price of a fully Flash system would be huge (3K+), but I think they will put in 8GB for OS only. (In addition to pruning down OSX to fit on it.)

I can't wait!

Hmmm... Agree on Apple's intention.. two caveats:

1. I think they may be able to slip in a 64gig SDD. Not cheap, but let's say $900 option, slightly less than that when upgrading to a 250 gig HDD. The SSD allows you to save some serious energy and a few ounces off the bat if you can put it in (SSD/HDD combo offers no weight savings, but a speed and battery boost depending on how well Apple is able to utlitize the SSD-to date most manufacturers have not gotten much speed improvements).

2. Apple would clearly offer a super sleek Superdrive as an external option (would likely be so cool some would want to buy it as an extra drive). One question on this point is whether they could go wireless/bluetooth. Technology may not be mature.

popelife
Dec 4, 2007, 09:17 PM
I disagree, however, that the MacBook Pros are in need of a re-design. There comes a point where a design is just good, and change becomes mostly unnecessary - bad, even. Just look at the iPod: whilst it has spawned spin-off models, other than getting slimmer, upgrading the screen & hard-drive and changing to aluminium, the overall design has remained the same for 6 generations now. I'm sure someone out there wants Apple to add handles, an antennae and a cup-holder, but I think most people would agree it's good as is. An important part of good design is knowing when to stop.

I disagree. Although perfectly useable, it's not the best-designed piece of Apple hardware ever. I preferred the build quality of the TiBook.

My niggles:

* Non-interchangeable hard drive
* Dodgy and (relative to the MacBook) un-sexy latch mechanism. My MBP pops open a lot when you don't want it to.
* Old-school keyboard. It's okay, but not amazing.
* Display doesn't fold back that far (although far enough for me)
* Somewhat fragile construction - I need new upper and lower case parts ($400) just because mine took a bit of a knock. Less than a year old, one slip, and it's knackered. Never happened with either of my iBooks, which I had for a total of five years.
* Old-school look, and we all know that looks sell laptops. And a change in look gets press. Crumbs, Apple's high-end laptops haven't changed in appearance for nearly five years.

There was a whole lot less wrong with the previous iMac, but that got an overhaul. It's past time IMO.

NYCMacFan
Dec 4, 2007, 09:21 PM

People: Assume Apple can offer a superdrive in a sleek, tiny and beautiful package that uses bluetooth (completely wireless and can sit on your desk) or a superdrive that can draw enough power off the USB to be battery free.

Who would not prefer that if it saves you a 1lb of weight?

I suspect the answer is simple - 95% of users. Unfortunately the 5% have a big presence here :)

MagnusVonMagnum
Dec 4, 2007, 09:22 PM
13-inch ultra-portable?

Nope!

I'm waiting for one I can put in my pocket, transmits a video overlay picture to my glasses via wireless (not sure bluetooth has enough bandwidth) and has sensory finger rings (bluetooth would be good here) so I can type on a virtual keyboard or virtual mouse in mid-air. Meanwhile the computer sits in my pocket. Now THAT would be an ultra-portable that delivers a REAL experience, not some tiny toy thing that is too small to see and impossible to type on...wait we already have that. It's called the iPhone. :p

celloman
Dec 4, 2007, 09:41 PM
People: Assume Apple can offer a superdrive in a sleek, tiny and beautiful package that uses bluetooth (completely wireless and can sit on your desk) or a superdrive that can draw enough power off the USB to be battery free.

I suspect the answer is simple - 95% of users. Unfortunately the 5% have a big presence here :)

I don't think the transfer rate would be fast enough for wireless yet. and if the screen size is still 13 inches, the thinness doesnt matter it could be as thin as paper, but it still wouldnt be considered ultra portable. me? i say keep the optical drive in

i, Podius
Dec 4, 2007, 09:58 PM
I disagree. Although perfectly useable, it's not the best-designed piece of Apple hardware ever. I preferred the build quality of the TiBook.

My niggles:

* Non-interchangeable hard drive
* Dodgy and (relative to the MacBook) un-sexy latch mechanism. My MBP pops open a lot when you don't want it to.
* Old-school keyboard. It's okay, but not amazing.
* Display doesn't fold back that far (although far enough for me)
* Somewhat fragile construction - I need new upper and lower case parts ($400) just because mine took a bit of a knock. Less than a year old, one slip, and it's knackered. Never happened with either of my iBooks, which I had for a total of five years.
* Old-school look, and we all know that looks sell laptops. And a change in look gets press. Crumbs, Apple's high-end laptops haven't changed in appearance for nearly five years.

There was a whole lot less wrong with the previous iMac, but that got an overhaul. It's past time IMO.

* Apple doesn't even offer interchangeable hard-drives on their desktops (except for the MacPro) - and considering interchangeable hard-drives are a rarity on laptops anyway, I wouldn't be holding my breath.
* The latch could certainly switch to the MacBook style, I agree that it would be better - but that's more of a minor change than a re-design.
* Ditto for the keyboard
* If the display folds back far enough for you, why does it need to fold back further?
* Whilst I can't speak to the structural strength of the current MacBook Pros, I would be surprised if they were less than par for a typical laptop. Extra-strength laptops, like the Toughbook (http://panasonic.com.au/products/category.cfm?objectID=2482) remain a niche market - hardly appropriate for Apple's flagship laptop class.
* Changing the look just so that it "looks new" is exactly the wrong reason to redesign a product. If you can offer a superior design, then I'll happily agree with you, but as it stands, the current MacBook Pro design is elegant and clean, and I've yet to see anyone arguing for a redesign actually present any sort of superior design - where are all the photoshop'd fantasies?

SheriffParker
Dec 4, 2007, 10:19 PM
* Apple doesn't even offer interchangeable hard-drives on their desktops (except for the MacPro) - and considering interchangeable hard-drives are a rarity on laptops anyway, I wouldn't be holding my breath.

I thought the MacBook had a hard drive that was easy to swap...

i, Podius
Dec 4, 2007, 11:11 PM
I thought the MacBook had a hard drive that was easy to swap...

Never having tried it, I just assumed that the lack of any obvious hard-drive bay on the bottom of a MacBook meant that it was a "disassemble the entire laptop to get at it" sort of deal. As it turns out, however, you're absolutely right: the hard drive on the MacBook is stupidly easy to replace (http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf) [PDF]. It would be a worthwhile change to the MacBook Pro, I'll agree, but I would still argue it's a minor change/upgrade as opposed to a redesign.

danvdr
Dec 4, 2007, 11:29 PM
The rumour simply states that Apple is ordering LED back-lights for 13.3" LCD screens.

From this, you guys manage to divine some incredible ultra-portable with SSD's, no disc-drives, &c., &c., &c. (ok, I know the "no optical drive" rumour has been floating around for a while, but still)

Lets consider a few points: 13.3" is the current size of the MacBook screen. Logic would suggest that the MacBook is the laptop destined to receive these new back-lights - no new model is necessary to explain this information....

Okay, how come the moderators are allowing reason in here? :rolleyes:

MrCrowbar
Dec 4, 2007, 11:55 PM

Hmm, I can imagine something in the style of the apple TV. You could pile up the AppleTV, the SuperDrive (why not some HD version) and an Airport Extreme. Hook up the SuperDrive to the AppleTV to ba able to play back DVDs through the AppleTV. Hook it up to the Airport Extreme for using it as a network drive. Use it like a network printer for burning discs, use it like an Airport Disc for reading discs. Watch streamed DVDs on your iPod touch or iPhone while you're sitting on the John, the possibilities are endless.

This would kinda defy Apple's all-in-one philosophy but would fit in nicely overall.

EDIT: Quick mockup; bottom: Superdrive (fictional), top: Airport Extreme
http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/5906/superdriveiv5.png

MrCrowbar
Dec 4, 2007, 11:57 PM
Never having tried it, I just assumed that the lack of any obvious hard-drive bay on the bottom of a MacBook meant that it was a "disassemble the entire laptop to get at it" sort of deal. As it turns out, however, you're absolutely right: the hard drive on the MacBook is stupidly easy to replace (http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf) [PDF]. It would be a worthwhile change to the MacBook Pro, I'll agree, but I would still argue it's a minor change/upgrade as opposed to a redesign.

Yea, except you need a whacky screwdriver to remove the screws that hold the drive to it's "tray". Why couldn't they use regular philips screws is beyond me...

Cinch
Dec 5, 2007, 01:31 AM

What about a parallel port for my zip drive:D.

Cinch

Sannekita
Dec 5, 2007, 02:11 AM
So, they're probably going for this ultraportable computer... then the chances are probably very small they'd also update the macbookpro, right?

mpw
Dec 5, 2007, 03:07 AM
...where are all the photoshop'd fantasies?
If I wasn't such a clutz with the Crayons I'd happily knock one out for you, and it'd be fan-*********-tastic.
...EDIT: Quick mockup; bottom: Superdrive (fictional), top: Airport Extreme
http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/5906/superdriveiv5.png
Very similar to something I proposed months ago on these very forums.

...Why couldn't they use regular philips screws is beyond me...
So that the average user doesn't/can't rush into taking their laptop apart without at least stopping to think about what they're about to do?

timmillwood
Dec 5, 2007, 03:28 AM
Here's a 13.3" LED laptop that just came out from LG

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-15201-XNOTE+P300%2C+the+new+13.3%E2%80%9D+LED-backlight+Notebook+from+LG.html

Tech Specs are almost identical to the Current Macbook Pro's.

That is far to big for what I want. So I hope these rumors are not true. I want 10" screen with same resolution

MrCrowbar
Dec 5, 2007, 05:45 AM

Hmm, bluetooth would take at least 5 hours to just transmit a DVD.
Bluetooth 2.0 EDR:
2.1 Mbit/s = 0.2625 MB/s = 15.75 MB/m

DVD = 4700 MB

1 DVD = 298.41269841269841 minutes
= 4.9735449735449735 hours

Don't forget about good old Firewire, that would do the job just fine. :-)

aswitcher
Dec 5, 2007, 06:21 AM
I dont think DigiTimes is very reliable but it fits the pattern we are seeing.

headfuzz
Dec 5, 2007, 07:06 AM
I agree that 13" is not ultraportable, nor imho is 12" (although 12" is a great form factor for Ableton Live users as it fits in a record bag ;) ).

If these screens are for a simple transition for the Macbook line to LED backlighting and not a part for a 13" addition to the Macbook Pro line there's gonna be a lot of disappointed people when "One more thing" turns out to be an aluminium iPod sock. :p

starman0147
Dec 5, 2007, 07:28 AM
My take on it is Apple is going to be ditching one of the 15” Macbook Pro models and will be introducing a new 13” model , so there will be a 13”, 15” 17” giving the pro line a much more varied selection. I do also believe that an ultra potable 12" is on the way in the near future with the base model of the Macbook being ditched to make way for it, the ultra portable obviously wont be in that same price range as the base Macbook but it will fill the void.

As for a tablet I am just not too sure, as when have tablets ever had a demanding market? For me a iphone should be sufficient enough to make the quick note, memo etc, I mean talk of a 8 ultra portable is mind bogging, how on earth can you do serious work on something of that size.

Unspeaked
Dec 5, 2007, 10:49 AM
*Hmm... I'd still say something the size of a paper 8.5 by 11ish and close to 2lbs would be pretty portable. Fits in my knapsack. I can't fit anything with 7 or 10 in anything smaller than that. For women, there are purses where the 7 or 10 is preferable.

*I hope the market can support both 10 and 12 inch systems and that Apple would introduce. I really believe there is NO real market for 7inches. Just falls into the zone where an IPOD touch does almost the same and the screen is too small for real work. I'd hope I am wrong, but do not assume that to be the case.

*I believe a lightweight 13inch will beat or match an ultraportable in sales. Whether the margins would be the same would be a different issue. Cannibalization of the 13.3 PB might be an issue, but sense the margin gains would make this less of an issue. We can have rough a sense by March of the sales numbers. We will just compare to ultraportable sales from Sony and Toshiba as those have the bulk.

You know, I think I was wrong about the market wanting a true ultra portable rather than a thinner MacBook.

I posted a poll question in the forum and it's 10:1 in favor of the thinner MacBook design!

Though I still think a true, tiny ultra portable would do well, I have to admit I was off about the interest level for a larger, thinner laptop!

Ironduke
Dec 5, 2007, 11:17 AM
I thinks its plainly obvious whats happening, steve made a big issue of aluminium and glass over plastic when introducing the new imac, as apple are going green.

next step = get the plastic out of the macbook:apple:

Squonk
Dec 5, 2007, 11:22 AM
I thinks its plainly obvious whats happening, steve made a big issue of aluminium and glass over plastic when introducing the new imac, as apple are going green.

That seems reasonable to me...

heisetax
Dec 5, 2007, 11:57 AM

I thought he said as soon as practical & when screen manufactures can produce larger & enough screens. To me it was open ended as far as time is concerned. Also the delivery or lack ther-of would go to the screen manufacturers.

I'm waiting for a 17" or larger portable with LED back lighting.

Bill the TaxMan

heisetax
Dec 5, 2007, 12:03 PM
Bluetooth 2.0 EDR:

DVD = 4700 MB

Apple has forgotten FireWire on most new things. Thouse of us that like FireWire will have to keep our old rather than be buying new.

Bill the TaxMan

CyberBob859
Dec 5, 2007, 12:22 PM
Here's my take:

13" Macbook Pro, very slim, trim, and thin. OLED screen with higher resolution than current Macbooks. No optical drive, but a bay that allows either 1) an additional battery for super-long battery life or 2) an additional hard drive (allowing Time Machine backups on the go.)

We also hear rumors about something special with the trackpad, so maybe some additional gesture capabilities would be coming too?

Since the mobile Penryn chips are coming out in January, this might be included in the new MacBook Pro line?

And I'm guess that this new, smaller MacBook Pro might start off $200-$500 more expensive than the highest-end Macbook?

Anyway, should be a cool machine whatever they do.

Martin C
Dec 5, 2007, 12:48 PM
Why does everyone think this is going to be an ultra-portable? It also too soon for them to be put in the MacBooks as they were just refreshed. I see this being a 13.3'' MBP to fill the spot that the 12'' PowerBook had.

koshper
Dec 5, 2007, 01:35 PM
Yes--it seems odd that at best it would be a slimmer macbook. If it's going to be something different and "ultraportable" I would think it's (as next poster mentions) 9-10" screen or so (maybe 11).

I can't help but feel that this doesn't really have anything to do with the story that Apple are buying a **** load of 13.3" high end laptop displays.

Are you suggesting that Apple will be trimming them?

koshper
Dec 5, 2007, 01:44 PM

Here here, I 100% agree, also look at the fact that they have used a black frame around the screen with a black apple logo - this is very different to previous and I strongly think that the entire range will sport this design by the end of 2008, I for one think the iMac re-design looks stunning.

Just bought my first macbook but i'd update for this design by June if it carried off similar design ideas as the iMac.

Vulpinemac
Dec 5, 2007, 01:46 PM
Here's a question. What if this 13.3" screen isn't for a standard-form-factor machine, but rather for an Apple-designed tablet model? This would make it fractionally larger than a standard legal pad and if in an ultra-thin design, it's obvious you can't have a conventional keyboard and monitor notebook shape. On the other hand, by using a virtual keyboard (i.e. multitouch controls similar to iPhone and iPod Touch) this could become very easy to carry and compete strongly against Amazon's ebook reader conventional PDAs by eliminating dedicated keys and having more universal functionality than Palm or Windows Mobile devices.

Personally this is bigger than I want for a combined ebook/PDA device, but I've been wanting a true tablet Mac for a while. This, if it is what I conjecture above, would meet my needs and my wants.

Vulpinemac
Dec 5, 2007, 01:50 PM
Apple has forgotten FireWire on most new things. Thouse of us that like FireWire will have to keep our old rather than be buying new.

Bill the TaxMan

What do you mean they've forgotten Firewire? Every Mac I have, including my 24" aluminum iMac, has a firewire port on it.

Vulpinemac
Dec 5, 2007, 02:00 PM
P.S. If Apple does end up releasing multi-colour MacBooks, please, please, please don't advertise your ignorance by lauding it as "an exciting industry first!" because even Dell's doing it these days (http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs)... (not that I'm suggesting that they're doing it well, mind you...)

Actually, Apple did do it first with the first "Hello, Kitty makeup kit" iBook in Bondi Blue and Tangerine Orange that came out right after the Bondi Blue iMacs. Ok, maybe they didn't sell a lot of them, but I do remember that the people that did buy them still use them, or at least some of those people do.

panda
Dec 5, 2007, 02:51 PM
speculation about differentiation.

apple has had tremendous success by differentiating the laptop line into 2 clearly identifiable lines - 'pro' and 'consumer'.

my expectation will be for apple to continue this approach. thus, i would expect the macbook to continue to be in plastic (a really fine casing that can stand a lot of rough handling). the macbook pro will continue to be aluminum, or perhaps a different metal.

a new ultraportable would thus logically reinforce the two-tier pro/consumer lineup and would not be a stand-alone new 'third' range, which would be confusing.

for an ultraportable to fit into the scenario, it makes little sense to market it as a 'consumer' model, as the only way to make it attractive, would be to sell it cheaper than the macbooks. this makes no sense.

the ultraportable however, makes much more sense as an extension of the pro line. its appearance and pricing could fit nicely.

furthermore, my reasoning tells me that the new ultraportable will be a design evolution of the macbook pros. these new design elements would then be incorporated into revised 15" and 17" models, which are in need of a refresh.

as mentioned by -koshper- above, there are many new elements in the imac that could be easily incorporated into the macbook pro range.

i also believe that -Unspeaked- above is right when he says that more people want thinner (and lighter) in a laptop. yes the japanese really love tiny - just see the tiny nibs on their gel pens and the tiny characters they write on the pages of their tiny notebooks- but speaking for myself, i'll take the usability of a larger screen any day, but please make it lighter.

apple has a way of surprising, so anything is possible, but i could anticipate (and hope for) a new line of thinner and lighter, elegant macbook pros, based on an amazing new and light 13". (remember, apple hired many engineers from sony about 2 years ago that were working on sony's ultrathin models -and we haven't seen anything from them yet.)

mwsf of course would be a great time to knock us off our feet.
:)

panda
Dec 5, 2007, 02:52 PM
it's all about differentiation.

apple has had tremendous success by differentiating the laptop line into 2 clearly identifiable lines - 'pro' and 'consumer'.

my expectation will be for apple to continue this approach. thus, i would expect the macbook to continue to be in plastic (a really fine casing that can stand a lot of rough handling). the macbook pro will continue to be aluminum, or perhaps a different metal.

a new ultraportable would thus logically reinforce the two-tier pro/consumer lineup and would not be a stand-alone new 'third' range, which would be confusing.

for an ultraportable to fit into the scenario, it makes little sense to market it as a 'consumer' model, as the only way to make it attractive, would be to sell it cheaper than the macbooks. this makes no sense.

the ultraportable however, makes much more sense as an extension of the pro line. its appearance and pricing could fit nicely.

furthermore, my reasoning tells me that the new ultraportable will be a design evolution of the macbook pros. these new design elements would then be incorporated into revised 15" and 17" models, which are in need of a refresh.

as mentioned by -koshper- above, there are many new elements in the imac that could be easily incorporated into the macbook pro range.

i also believe that -Unspeaked- above is right when he says that more people want thinner (and lighter) in a laptop. yes the japanese really love tiny - just see the tiny nibs on their gel pens and the tiny characters they write on the pages of their tiny notebooks- but speaking for myself, i'll take the usability of a larger screen any day, but please make it lighter.

apple has a way of surprising, so anything is possible, but i could anticipate (and hope for) a new line of thinner and lighter, elegant macbook pros, based on an amazing new and light 13". (remember, apple hired many engineers from sony about 2 years ago that were working on sony's ultrathin models -and we haven't seen anything from them yet.)

mwsf of course would be a great time to knock us off our feet.

mandoman
Dec 5, 2007, 04:31 PM
Perhaps a revamp of the whole notebook line?

MB gets: LED backlight, thinner and aluminum enclosure
MBP gets: Magnetic Latch, MB style but backlit keyboard

There is still plenty to differentiate the line if MB gets aluminum:
Screen Size
Processor
Video Card
Express Card Slot
Firewire 800

I sure would LOVE an ultraportable though, a tablet
even - only it's gotta run a full featured OSX.

But alas, I really don't believe the ultraportable rumor. We are simply
getting a lighter/thinner 13.3" MB or MBP...

Cloudsurfer
Dec 5, 2007, 04:33 PM
How are the MBP models in need of a refresh? Their current design is barely two years old. Sure it's based off the PowerBook, but the differences are significant enough to last at least another year.

If there's anything here that needs a redesign, it's the Mac Pro. I think that's the main reason it's taking Apple so long to push out another update.

jnc
Dec 5, 2007, 05:02 PM
Haha, you guys. It's no wonder you don't work at Apple. We'd be seeing 10 pound, 1TB iPods, 6 inch MacBooks, 12 inch iPhones and paper thin MacBook Pros that can't actually do anything.

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-15201-XNOTE+P300%2C+the+new+13.3”+LED-backlight+Notebook+from+LG.html

Just give me that with OSX and Apple's aesthetics, and I'm sold.

panda
Dec 5, 2007, 05:34 PM
Perhaps a revamp of the whole notebook line?

MB gets: LED backlight, thinner and aluminum enclosure
MBP gets: Magnetic Latch, MB style but backlit keyboard

There is still plenty to differentiate the line if MB gets aluminum:
Screen Size
Processor
Video Card
Express Card Slot
Firewire 800

I sure would LOVE an ultraportable though, a tablet
even - only it's gotta run a full featured OSX.

excuse me for not being a total nerd, but you have referred to 'specs'. what sets the 2 lines apart in a more elemental way, is the design. (though obviously specs, especially screen size are not insignificant.)

often on this forum one reads of 'wanting an alu macbook'. in other words, an alu enclosure at macbook price. a large part of the desirability of the macbook pro is in fact the aluminum. hence apple has underscored the 'must have' factor of the pro and the incentive to buy their up-market offerings.

-Cloudsurfer- i think in fact you confirm my point. if you look at how long the 'design' of the current macbook pro+powerbook (identical in design) has been around, which is about 4 years i think, and you see the direction of the new imac, it is time to freshen the line. lucky for the designers of our world, THE NEW is something we just can't seem to live without.

are (slightly) better specs really going to blow anyone away? a brilliant update of a successful design, now that will.

popelife
Dec 5, 2007, 08:28 PM
* The latch could certainly switch to the MacBook style, I agree that it would be better - but that's more of a minor change than a re-design.
* Ditto for the keyboard
* If the display folds back far enough for you, why does it need to fold back further?
* Whilst I can't speak to the structural strength of the current MacBook Pros, I would be surprised if they were less than par for a typical laptop. Extra-strength laptops, like the Toughbook (http://panasonic.com.au/products/category.cfm?objectID=2482) remain a niche market - hardly appropriate for Apple's flagship laptop class.
* Changing the look just so that it "looks new" is exactly the wrong reason to redesign a product. If you can offer a superior design, then I'll happily agree with you, but as it stands, the current MacBook Pro design is elegant and clean, and I've yet to see anyone arguing for a redesign actually present any sort of superior design - where are all the photoshop'd fantasies?

I think there are two elements to a redesign... a technological upgrade, and an aesthetic and user-oriented re-think. Sometimes it's a big change, sometimes it's just evolutionary. Often, it requires the new technology to facilitate the aesthetic changes.

It doesn't necessarily mean there's anything especially wrong with the previous design, just that there might be a better way of making the same sort of product.

For an MBP redesign, these seem like realistic possibilities:

Technology:
* Faster processors etc (mobile Penryn? Slight graphics upgrade?)
* LED backlighting on all models, make the screen thinner in the process.
* Higher-res screens? Although looking at how small some of the text in Apple's Pro apps is already, perhaps not. Although in the case of a 13" I'd much rather have small text than too little real estate to be useful. Aperture's cramped enough on the 15 as it is.
* A few tweaks to the I/O (separate, full-speed FW800 bus, pleeease...)
* Possibly (but no better than 50/50 I'd say) some kind of Flash disk caching for faster boot and fewer disk accesses.

Aesthetic changes
* Thinner, lighter components (screen, keyboard) means a thinner, lighter machine
* Sleeker lines - get rid of the cheese-grater speaker grilles and find a way to eliminate the non-matching grey plastic border around the case, use a MacBook-style latch which gets rid of four gaping holes and a button that sticks a lot, use MacBook-style keyboard (which I think looks cooler, unifies it with the rest of the range, collects less crud, and I personally find it super-fast to touch type on.)
* make the hinge go back a few more degrees. I know I don't have a problem with it, but lots of other people clearly do.
* Make that HD interchangeable. Everyone runs out of HD space at some point, especially on laptops where capacity is limited by what the drive manufacturers can manage at the time. Being able to swap it out later on is way better than not being able to.
* We might see some black creep into the colour scheme. Right now I wouldn't say I'm keen, but maybe it would look great, who knows. It's like when they release a new version of a car, initially you think the new one looks ghastly, two years later the older model looks really out of date.

I'm not saying the current MBP isn't good, but certain changes would make it better, potentially much better. I don't understand the argument for leaving it as it is. You have to keep pushing forward, or you get left behind.

popelife
Dec 5, 2007, 09:04 PM
* Whilst I can't speak to the structural strength of the current MacBook Pros, I would be surprised if they were less than par for a typical laptop.

Having never owned a PC laptop you may be right there... I see quite a few broken windows laptops. Not much in the PC world matches Apple's industrial design. All I'd say is, never accidentally put too much pressure on an MBP's palm rest, over the CD slot. For that one slip, you have to replace two of the three major case parts costing a total of $400, probably $600 or more as a repair.

I can't help feeling that the way the MBP fits together mechanically could be a little less prone to issues. (e.g. Screens not folding properly, case seams not quite closing up, especially following a repair.)

luminosity
Dec 5, 2007, 09:31 PM
Personally, I think the current MBP design is perfect, but that's just me.

aswitcher
Dec 5, 2007, 11:19 PM
Personally, I think the current MBP design is perfect, but that's just me.

I dislike the grey plastic surround, the mechanical latch, lack of standard keyboard layout...

I would like hdmi instead of dvi, ipod touch/iphone like trackpad, more powerful speakers, fw800, bigger megapixel camera, LED backlight, higher screen resolution, lighter.

John Musbach
Dec 6, 2007, 12:53 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Digitimes claims (http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20071203PD212.html) that Apple has placed an order with Kenmos Technology and Taiwan Nano Electro-Optical Technology for 13.3-inch LED notebook backlight units for an upcoming Apple laptop:

Kenmos is also said to be shipping LED notebook BLUs to Apple for "high-end models".

Apple has been rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/12/ultra-portable-mac-expected-at-macworld-expo-2008/) to be launching a new "ultra-portable" laptop at Macworld San Francisco in January. Early specs (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/12/ultra-portable-mac-expected-at-macworld-expo-2008/) described by Appleinsider suggested the new sub-notebook would carry a 13" screen with aluminum enclosure that is described to be 50% lighter and "strikingly slimmer" than the existing 15" MacBook Pros. Apple recently adopted (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/05/apple-releases-new-macbook-pros-with-santa-rosa/) the environmentally friendly LED backlit screens in its MacBook Pro models.

Steve Jobs will be giving (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/03/steve-jobs-to-give-macworld-2008-keynote/) the Macworld San Francisco 2008 keynote speech on January 15th, 2008.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/04/apple-orders-13-3-led-backlit-screens-for-upcoming-laptop/)

This is good, not only is this more environment friendly but LEDs last a lot longer then the current lighting elements used for our LCD backlights as well. This receives a +1 from me. :)

Clancycoop
Dec 6, 2007, 03:09 AM
Here is a very vague guess from me of what they could do to the MBP. Yes, it is beautiful right now, but...

You know that shiny metal on the iPhone (I'm not going to guess what it is, so please make fun of me) that is around the edges? Lets throw that around the edges of the MBP! I'm sure Apple could do it better than you are picturing in you head right now...

Stick with the Alum. casing, add chiclet keyboard etc.

Why wouldn't Apple update it to look like the iMac and iPod? Apple isn't afraid to replace popular products (ie the iPod Mini was SO popular, but it got booted, then brought back thinner as the 2Gen Nano!)

All I know, is that right now Apple doesn't have a notebook I want. I don't want a Macbook, because I want the Pros graphics card and speed. I don't want a 15" Notebook, so it looks like I'm out of luck unless Apple wakes up and sees this gaping hole in the product line.

I love both the MB and MBP, but I can't settle for either, so I am waiting for MWSF... or eternity. :o

ruku
Dec 6, 2007, 10:58 AM
if it is to be the macbook that is updated then wouldnt that make the current batch of santa rossa's released only 1 month ago one of the shortest lived lines of notebooks ever released? seems a bit more than odd to me.

sk8ordie
Dec 6, 2007, 11:37 AM
if it is to be the macbook that is updated then wouldnt that make the current batch of santa rossa's released only 1 month ago one of the shortest lived lines of notebooks ever released? seems a bit more than odd to me.

Only the tech forum geeks like us know this ;)

AidenShaw
Dec 6, 2007, 11:51 AM
if it is to be the macbook that is updated then wouldnt that make the current batch of santa rosa's released only 1 month ago one of the shortest lived lines of notebooks ever released? seems a bit more than odd to me.

But, the new ones would also be Santa Rosa systems.

Apple (and Apple fans) need to get out of the mindset that dropping in a new pin-compatible chip (be it the Northbridge or the CPU) makes a "new line".

Apple should be making these "silent" upgrades whenever new parts are available. (hint, hint - graphics chips, especially for the workstation)

NYCMacFan
Dec 6, 2007, 12:37 PM
You know, I think I was wrong about the market wanting a true ultra portable rather than a thinner MacBook.

I posted a poll question in the forum and it's 10:1 in favor of the thinner MacBook design!

Though I still think a true, tiny ultra portable would do well, I have to admit I was off about the interest level for a larger, thinner laptop!

Actually I feel I may be wrong on this looking at the comments. Ultimately, I'd like to see a thin 13inch as well as a smaller one. But oddly we seem to have three sets of consumers on this thread:

1. People that want a replacement in form factor to the old 12inch PBs. I have one and the 13inch slim they talk about is pretty darn close.

2. People that want a 9-10 inch computer.

3. People that want a 7 inch device that is not quite a computer, but something entirely.

I continue to think that long-term you can't see stuff on anything smaller than 12inchs and that the 13.3 is the same form factor given that it is widescreen (certainly same vertical usage or less). But I feel outnumbered.

NYCMacFan
Dec 6, 2007, 12:39 PM
Bluetooth 2.0 EDR:

DVD = 4700 MB

YEAH. This is why you might need firewire or USB. I again think 95% of users will happily scrap the superdrive for a neat external one, but again, that would be if it is either wireless so you just leave it plugged in somewhere inconspicuous OR if you can just plug in with no external AC.

KingYaba
Dec 6, 2007, 12:42 PM
Sounds like a simple LED update for the existing Macbooks.

lost eden
Dec 6, 2007, 12:44 PM
Sounds like a simple LED update for the existing Macbooks.
Ditto. Am I the only one who sees the major flaw in this idea that 'new 13" LED LCDs must mean new ultraportable Macs?' - 13" isn't ultraportable, no matter how thin the surrounding enclosure is!

NYCMacFan
Dec 6, 2007, 12:46 PM

13.3 MB vs MBP.

I wonder which they go for. Super thin at 13.3 is still expensive and I do not know if they could maintain pricing/margins on MBs.

An easier options would be a refresh of 17,15 and now NEW 13.3 in MBP to follow design cues of new Imac. 13.3 MBP would be super thin, super light, have a better video card, LED screen, and option for an SSD instead of HDD.

This would give it clear differentiation with MB line.

PS Looking at pricing of other ultraportables, if it is 10 or 12 inch, it would probably be priced higher than existing MB and closer MBP. A 7inch machine would be something else entirely and no idea on prices.

Squonk
Dec 6, 2007, 12:53 PM
13.3 MB vs MBP.

I wonder which they go for. Super thin at 13.3 is still expensive and I do not know if they could maintain pricing/margins on MBs.

An easier options would be a refresh of 17,15 and now NEW 13.3 in MBP to follow design cues of new Imac. 13.3 MBP would be super thin, super light, have a better video card, LED screen, and option for an SSD instead of HDD.

This would give it clear differentiation with MB line.

There is clearly a missing product to fill the now gone PB 12". A 13" MBP with a minimal bezel should meet the needs of the 12" PB users if they do it right. That is my hope for the 13" LEDs that are being talked about.

NYCMacFan
Dec 6, 2007, 01:13 PM
There is clearly a missing product to fill the now gone PB 12". A 13" MBP with a minimal bezel should meet the needs of the 12" PB users if they do it right. That is my hope for the 13" LEDs that are being talked about.

If you compare dimensions between 12inch PB and a new 13.3, they are almost identical as long as there is minimal space on left/right of the screen. Can also be much thinner and lighter and narrower in each for slight length.

Old 12 PB

Dimensions (WxDxH): 10.9 in x 8.6 in x 1.2 in
Weight: 4.6 lbs

Potential new PB

Dimensions (WxDxH): 11.8 in x 8.2 in x .5 in
Weight: 2.2 lbs

I'd say a VERY nice tradoff if my numbers are right for just a touch more in length. Personally, and as I have posted before, I am more personally concerned with vertical rather than horizontal space as I do more writing than movie watching...So I'd even prefer the old 12 (still own one), but the world has gone on to letterbox...

Squonk
Dec 6, 2007, 01:31 PM
If you compare dimensions between 12inch PB and a new 13.3, they are almost identical as long as there is minimal space on left/right of the screen. Can also be much thinner and lighter and narrower in each for slight length.

Old 12 PB

Dimensions (WxDxH): 10.9 in x 8.6 in x 1.2 in
Weight: 4.6 lbs

Potential new PB

Dimensions (WxDxH): 11.8 in x 8.2 in x .5 in
Weight: 2.2 lbs

I'd say a VERY nice tradoff if my numbers are right for just a touch more in length. Personally, and as I have posted before, I am more personally concerned with vertical rather than horizontal space as I do more writing than movie watching...So I'd even prefer the old 12 (still own one), but the world has gone on to letterbox...

That would be an impressive machine - only 1/2" thick. I'm thinking the only way to achieve that would be the omission of the optical drive. And only 2.2 pounds, really? You think they can achieve that? It would make for a really smart machine. I have my doubts that it would be that thin and light.

NYCMacFan
Dec 6, 2007, 03:44 PM
That would be an impressive machine - only 1/2" thick. I'm thinking the only way to achieve that would be the omission of the optical drive. And only 2.2 pounds, really? You think they can achieve that? It would make for a really smart machine. I have my doubts that it would be that thin and light.

I do see that as possible with the omission of an optical drive and perhaps an SSD. with a conventional hard drive, I think 2.6.

The LED screen, a more efficient processor and SSD would all mean weight savings (LED is slightly thiner, lighter, processor could need less heat dissipation shielding and an SSD is half the weight of a 2.5 HDD). All three use less power and so the battery can be smaller as well offering a slight knock on effect in weight savings.

One issue: If you have both SSD and HDD they would probably opt for a single standard and slightly larger drive then necessary. So SSD would be only a few ounces lighter, but the battery would last longer.

AidenShaw
Dec 8, 2007, 05:11 PM
I do see that as possible with the omission of an optical drive and perhaps an SSD. with a conventional hard drive, I think 2.6.
an SSD is half the weight of a 2.5 HDD

Check the specs - a 2.5" SSD is about 3 ounces, an spinning drive is about 4 ounces.

TurboSC
Dec 8, 2007, 06:55 PM
There should be no reason you're running out of hard drive space on your laptop storage. If you deal with files that big or that plentiful, you should be carrying around an external HDD to solve your problems :)

I'm thinking about getting a USB powered external to go along with the new MBP come MacWorld.

ruku
Dec 8, 2007, 10:49 PM
But, the new ones would also be Santa Rosa systems.

Apple (and Apple fans) need to get out of the mindset that dropping in a new pin-compatible chip (be it the Northbridge or the CPU) makes a "new line".

Apple should be making these "silent" upgrades whenever new parts are available. (hint, hint - graphics chips, especially for the workstation)

i agree but there were more upgrades than that. i believe its the most significant upgrade to the macbook line since it was introduced. new graphics chip, new platform and new system bus speed at the same time as leopard's introduction. also i believe they changed the casings' plastic to fix issues with the discolouration also changing the keyboard layout while they were at it.

graphics chip - first time it was changed
platform - only changed once before in its lifespan
bus speed - first speed change since macbook's introduction

to me that seems like a holistic change. otherwise what does make a real upgrade? the case? that screen would be nice though. whats the next chipset called again, monteiva? happening around may, that seems a good time to update to LEDs and newer casing.

Martin C
Dec 8, 2007, 11:05 PM
I hope that this is for a 13.3'' MBP since I've been waiting for it in this size forever. I want all the power, graphics, and advantages of the MBP in a MacBook sized package.

TurboSC
Dec 8, 2007, 11:30 PM
I hope that this is for a 13.3'' MBP since I've been waiting for it in this size forever. I want all the power, graphics, and advantages of the MBP in a MacBook sized package.

that basically sums up my situation right there... though with the smaller package I'd like to see how they handle the heat issue.

gtimark
Dec 13, 2007, 09:55 PM

Unfortunately, one cannot choose the better option on the MacBook. Boo. I really don't like the reflective glossy screen.

jameskohn
Dec 16, 2007, 07:06 PM

Amen!!!

I am dying for the 13" MBP, but I really want the PRO specs... As long as it's no more than 1" thick, and weighs no more than my 12" PowerBook I will be ecstatic. Specs of current MBP's would be fine, just a smaller form factor. Don't need an ultra portable, but give me a 13" MBP!

paprizzi
Dec 16, 2007, 07:59 PM
Please dont Dump the optical drive....... A new laptop WITHOUT a optical drive is a DEALBREAKER to me... I travel often and my laptop is also my movie DVD player....I cant justify buying a new laptop if it cant be my DVD player also

jnc
Dec 16, 2007, 08:16 PM
Please dont Dump the optical drive....... A new laptop WITHOUT a optical drive is a DEALBREAKER to me... I travel often and my laptop is also my movie DVD player....I cant justify buying a new laptop if it cant be my DVD player also

Why don't you just rip the DVDs beforehand? Much less hassle than carrying actual discs around, and will save tons of battery.

jameskohn
Dec 16, 2007, 09:23 PM
It's not a PRO machine without an optical drive, period. Again, my dream is a 13" MacBook PRO. Form follows function: a "PRO" machine must have the ability to burn video & audio to DVD's, and all other full functionality.

How many 12" PowerBook owners are there out there dying for a MBP in a similar size? Doesn't have to be ultra light, ultra thin, ultra anything. Just give me today's MBP specs in a 13" version. Leave the design the same, leave the latch, leave the keyboard: it really doesn't matter.

How many 12"PowerBook owners out there feel the same way?

jnc
Dec 17, 2007, 05:31 AM
It's not a PRO machine without an optical drive, period.

I've used the drive like, twice.

I don't care for how thin it is, but if I can have a lighter portable by losing the drive, sign me up. I'll have a desktop for those rare moments I need to burn anything.

Discs are dead! But here's a nice compromise:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2007/12/macbookmini.jpg

Steven Ballmer
Dec 17, 2007, 06:42 AM
Apple has no plans for anything like this whatsoever! What they are planning is a surface type coffeetable, once again copying us!:mad:

jameskohn
Dec 17, 2007, 09:49 AM
I've used the drive like, twice.

I don't care for how thin it is, but if I can have a lighter portable by losing the drive, sign me up. I'll have a desktop for those rare moments I need to burn anything.

Discs are dead! But here's a nice compromise:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2007/12/macbookmini.jpg

Discs are far from dead: when you have a few hundred photos to hand over to someone, or a video, they are still the most practical way to do so. What does "PRO" mean? A pro machine should be able to do anything a desktop can do. No optical drive and it becomes much less versatile, more of a gadget or a toy.

Would anyone even think of buying a desktop without the ability to read/write optical media?

That mockup is pretty cool looking though...

paprizzi
Dec 17, 2007, 09:55 AM
Why don't you just rip the DVDs beforehand? Much less hassle than carrying actual discs around, and will save tons of battery.

Sure wish I had that much free time... :)

emotion
Dec 17, 2007, 09:56 AM
Discs are far from dead: when you have a few hundred photos to hand over to someone, or a video, they are still the most practical way to do so. What does "PRO" mean? A pro machine should be able to do anything a desktop can do. No optical drive and it becomes much less versatile, more of a gadget or a toy.

I'm not sure I agree with your assertion here. A compact laptop user accepts some limitations to gain the portability.

It depends on where that line is drawn and it's up to Apple to make that decision.

Personally I think they're unlikely to drop the optical drive, though I could do without it - and would be happy to do so. There's a loss of neatness when you have to have an external optical drive. Internal slot drives are so small too.

I guess we'll see.

jnc
Dec 17, 2007, 10:08 AM
Sure wish I had that much free time... :)

Just leave it to do its thing overnight, or whenever you've a spare moment you're not using the drive.

I just took the lazy route and torrented my existing library, I'm impatient :D