PDA

View Full Version : New iPod Game: Brain Challenge

MacRumors
Dec 4, 2007, 06:16 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has released a new iPod game called Brain Challenge (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewGame?id=268621298&s=143441) (iTunes Link).

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/12/04/BrainChallenge_300.jpg
Just like your body, your brain needs exercise to stay in shape Maintaining it simply involves completing small exercises without pain, stress, or boredom. Thats where Brain Challenge comes in! It's like a real vitamin boost for your brain. More than just a game, Brain Challenge is your personal coach and an entertaining, easy solution for keeping your brain alert. With various fun exercises, train you brain whenever and wherever you want on your iPod!
The game is available for all iPods that are compatible with iPod games, including the 5th generation iPod, 3rd generation iPod Nano, and iPod Classic.

Brain Challenge is published by Gameloft and is available for $4.99.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/04/new-ipod-game-brain-challenge/)

Grimace
Dec 4, 2007, 06:19 PM
$5.00 games? Geez, when is it February so we can get some good free games?

NewSc2
That's nice. But I could really use some games for my iPhone :mad::(

MattyMac
Very nice..I'll have to check it out. But where is it for the iPhone??? :rolleyes:

EDIT: NewSc2 you beat me to it.

Mykbibby
Dec 4, 2007, 06:21 PM

Who says the apps from the SDK are free? ;-)

KingYaba
Dec 4, 2007, 06:30 PM
Sounds like a Nintendo DS knockoff.

lazyrighteye
Dec 4, 2007, 06:33 PM

Who says the apps from the SDK are free? ;-)

Exactly.
iPhone apps represent HUGE revenue stream(s) for developers and their efforts will not (nor should not) go uncompensated.
Thus, consumers will pay for their products... possibly via iTS, to help Apple maintain a high level of control.

miketcool
Dec 4, 2007, 06:33 PM
Sounds like a Nintendo DS knockoff.

IS a Nintendo DS knockoff. Seems a little early to be ruffling Nintendo's feathers...

Eric Lewis
Dec 4, 2007, 06:35 PM
lol

i sent this in

rip off nintendo!

zombitronic
Dec 4, 2007, 06:46 PM
IS a Nintendo DS knockoff. Seems a little early to be ruffling Nintendo's feathers...

Those brain training games are for a number of systems, including the Wii and PSP. I've played a couple for the Wii and DS. They're kind of addicting. If it's anything like those $20 games, $5 is worth it.

It seems like they're trying to go after current popular franchises, which makes sense. I wonder how long before some primitive kind of MMORPG makes it's way onto a future iPod. It's just too bad that the controls are so limited, although no one buys an iPod as a game system.

japanime
Dec 4, 2007, 06:54 PM
Why is it that Apple isn't releasing games for the iPhone, which Steve claimed to be "the best iPod ever"?

I would buy this game in a second if it was available for my model.

cal6n
Dec 4, 2007, 06:54 PM
I'll have an "E" please, Bob!

synth3tik
Dec 4, 2007, 06:55 PM
They need to start making these games portable to the iPhone and iPod touch. I have purchased 2 or 3 games that I no longer play because I can not use them on my iPhone.

retroneo
Dec 4, 2007, 07:00 PM
They need to start making these games portable to the iPhone and iPod touch. I have purchased 2 or 3 games that I no longer play because I can not use them on my iPhone.

This has been announced for February 2008

tk421
Dec 4, 2007, 07:18 PM
Those brain training games are for a number of systems, including the Wii and PSP. I've played a couple for the Wii and DS. They're kind of addicting. If it's anything like those $20 games, $5 is worth it.

Nope. The original Brain Training and Big Brain Academy games are Nintendo exclusives. I have more recently noticed a few knockoffs for Nintendo and non-Nintendo systems.

calvy
Dec 4, 2007, 07:34 PM
like everyone else says, FARKING USELESS to me. I bet it would be awesome on the iPhone and Touch, but oh wait, we can't have apps for it. It's too tough to code for and therefore we don't trust you.

hayesk
Dec 4, 2007, 07:57 PM
like everyone else says, FARKING USELESS to me. I bet it would be awesome on the iPhone and Touch, but oh wait, we can't have apps for it. It's too tough to code for and therefore we don't trust you.

Uhm... the SDK has been announced - it's coming in February. Were have you been?

hayesk
Dec 4, 2007, 07:58 PM

I wasn't aware that software developers get free houses, free food, and free everything else.

Do you do your job for free?

psychofreak
Dec 4, 2007, 08:00 PM
Uhm... the SDK has been announced - it's coming in February. Were have you been?

February is not NOW, and the iPhone is here NOW...

Apple should have had an SDK out by now, and people want games now...

DTphonehome
Dec 4, 2007, 08:13 PM
Ha, I bet "Guitar Idol" is next!

calvy
Dec 4, 2007, 08:22 PM

Who said I didn't hear that? I know, knew, and heard the announcement the same day you did. I'm a macrumors member after all, I'm sure we all hit the main page daily, if not more.

I just think it's BS. But I'll wait for another 3 months or more and see if Apple is kind enough to give us this game.

zombitronic
Dec 4, 2007, 08:30 PM
Nope. The original Brain Training and Big Brain Academy games are Nintendo exclusives. I have more recently noticed a few knockoffs for Nintendo and non-Nintendo systems.

Nintendo did not create the handheld brain exercise game franchise, though. These games have existed on other mobile devices, Tiger Electronics handheld games, those big TI calculators, and if you wanna get really ancient:

http://www.retrogames.co.uk/stock/assets/images/HH_-_MB_Pocket_Simon.jpg

ChrisA
Dec 4, 2007, 08:34 PM
I wasn't aware that software developers get free houses, free food, and free everything else.

I write software for a living. And yes, when I'm not working, sometimes I'll write some software that I'll make available as Open Source. I've done some utility software and some device drivers that way.

Sometimes when I am working and getting paid, I work on stuff that can be released as Open Source. For example I'm working on a system for routing error messages right now. There is no rason not to give this away. With luck some ne else will improve it and contribute the changes back. We all win.

And what about Linux, Solaris and BSD. Three entire operating system all available for free. As above some programmers got paid some did it as a hobby. I think about half of Mac OS X is free software that Apple is re-using

I think if you wanted a free game right now you could write something using java script right now. Why not try?

diamond.g
Dec 4, 2007, 08:35 PM
Nintendo did not create the handheld brain exercise game franchise, though. These games have existed on other mobile devices, Tiger Electronics handheld games, those big TI calculators, and if you wanna get really ancient:

http://www.retrogames.co.uk/stock/assets/images/HH_-_MB_Pocket_Simon.jpg

True, but it is hard to argue that Nintendo didn't contribute to their re-surging popularity.

tk421
Dec 4, 2007, 08:51 PM

Brain Challenge (the name is even similar) is described as having 5 game categories, encourages daily practice with the Brain Daily Test (5 random 3-minute mini-games), includes stats and graphs to track performance, and features a virtual person in the logo who speaks in comic-book bubbles during menus. And, the games themselves having a very similar flavor. All in all, it's remarkably like Brain Age with a few elements of Big Brain Academy. These are not very similar at all to the Pocket Simon you pictured.

If you don't see why so many people are calling this a knock off (and Nintendo is clearly behind the current popularity of these kinds of games) I have to think you aren't familiar with the games themselves.

twoodcc
Dec 4, 2007, 09:39 PM
where are my iPhone games?

davester
Dec 4, 2007, 10:02 PM
I'm amused at the irony that for a game calling itself "Brain Challenge", there is a blonde with glasses perched above its title.

stoutboy1
Dec 4, 2007, 10:09 PM
So the SDK wont be released until feb.? We probably wont get games until July:mad:

SthrnCmfrtr
Dec 4, 2007, 10:13 PM
I write software for a living. And yes, when I'm not working, sometimes I'll write some software that I'll make available as Open Source. I've done some utility software and some device drivers that way.

Sometimes when I am working and getting paid, I work on stuff that can be released as Open Source. For example I'm working on a system for routing error messages right now. There is no rason not to give this away. With luck some ne else will improve it and contribute the changes back. We all win.

And what about Linux, Solaris and BSD. Three entire operating system all available for free. As above some programmers got paid some did it as a hobby. I think about half of Mac OS X is free software that Apple is re-using

I think if you wanted a free game right now you could write something using java script right now. Why not try?

Communist! :eek:

;-)

Thank you for your contributions to open source software.

John-S
Dec 4, 2007, 11:03 PM
Personally I'm enjoying the games on the iphone available via web 2.0 etc. Here is a link to the wannabe "brain age" game. Its easy and free to register and pretty fun I think...

http://www.apple.com/webapps/games/minddojo.html

I didn't even realize apple had that area designated for iphone apps until a few days ago. There is ALOT of cool stuff there : )

Phuz01
Dec 4, 2007, 11:14 PM
Maybe they should worry about making sure the games they've already released work before dumping another one on an unsuspecting public.

Ever since the 1.0.3 firmware release, Phase crashes my iPod Classic. I had similar problems with Vortex on my 5.5g Video.

Dec 5, 2007, 01:30 AM

What do you do it for, money? ( = status = self-esteem)

Some developers do it for fame/backslapping ( = self-esteem)

They get their food elsewhere, i. e. their boring daytime job. And some just do it for the cause: better software.

Yankees 4 Life
Dec 5, 2007, 01:32 AM
web apps are the suck:(

Dec 5, 2007, 01:34 AM

In Installer.app -> games

GoodWatch
Dec 5, 2007, 03:41 AM

Yes. And in the same fashion one could state that Apple did not create the hand-held input device driven GUI of course. PARC! Gesundheid…

retailbastard
Dec 5, 2007, 04:09 AM

Consumers should stop buying the iPhone if their going to complain about the features that were never promised.

Anariston
Dec 5, 2007, 04:52 AM

Not just consoles. They've found their way onto desktop OSs as well! (Not surprisingly.) E.G. Mind Medley (http://www.gamehouse.com/gamedetails/?game=mindmedley&navpage=downloadgames) by GameHouse. That's around $20 too, so if you're addicted to the brain training genre, $5 won't kill you.

This is my first forum post, but I've been reading what you've all been writing for a while now.

heaven
Dec 5, 2007, 05:42 AM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9751/209; U; en))

I wish that all those games would support the second gen nanos too...

Neerazan
Dec 5, 2007, 07:41 AM
This game blipped on and then off the iTS last week... I grabbed it when it was available, and have had great fun with it over the past week or so...

...although my Nano has crashed whilst syncing a few times since, perhaps this new release fixes that problem?

Anyhow, complaining that a game costs a whole $5 is just plain cheap of you people, especially when comparable games on other handhelds are four times as expensive! Jeez, there's no pleasing some of you :)

eastcoastsurfer
Dec 5, 2007, 07:59 AM

ROFL, you do know that without 'free' software there would be no OSX? I hope Apple has paid every person who contributed to *BSD or Webkit. When the SDK is finally released there will be tons of 'free' games simply because people will write things for fun and release them. Of course Apple hates this, because they lose the easy revenue stream of taking already written popcap style games (that you can play for free on the internet) and putting them on the ipod and charging $5 for them.

And as far as the ipod touch or iphone being the best ipod ever? Talk to me when either of those has the option for 80GB of storage space.

xenotaku
Dec 5, 2007, 08:08 AM
does anyone actually buy this crap? How about apple start worrying about making their iPhone and mac lineups better instead of releasing crappy games for their outdated iPod.

Sijmen
Dec 5, 2007, 08:20 AM
does anyone actually buy this crap? How about apple start worrying about making their iPhone and mac lineups better instead of releasing crappy games for their outdated iPod.

Outdated? What are you talking about? Isn't the iPod classic newer than the iPhone?

djellison
Dec 5, 2007, 08:21 AM

Sorry guys - you KNEW what the score was with the iPhone - you can't complain about a lack of a feature you KNEW wasn't going to be available from the outset. It's one ( of the many ) reasons I don't have an iPhone....meanwhile, I'm loving Brain Challenge on my iPod Classic :)

Doug

mainstreetmark
Dec 5, 2007, 08:31 AM
I'm really annoyed with some of you people that think it's a *requirement* to pay for software. It is, of course, completely and totally up to the software developer, and i do not support anyones ideas to force us to pay. There are tons of free apps. How many of you are using Adium and Firefox?

Is $5 reasonable for a brain game? Who knows. The market will decide. NOT an artificial rule.

Apple didn't develop it.

ClassicBean
Dec 5, 2007, 08:50 AM
How old are you people? 11?

$5 isn't a big investment and nobody is forcing you to buy it. I went ahead and purchased it because I enjoy the brain games on my DS and Wii and it turned out to be a smart choice. Had it not been, I would have been out $5.

Really, people. It's $5. How much do you blow at Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, or, since most of you are 11, the candy store in one visit?

igazza
Dec 5, 2007, 09:00 AM
itunes error (5002) trying to buy it :apple:

zombitronic
Dec 5, 2007, 09:08 AM
True, but it is hard to argue that Nintendo didn't contribute to their re-surging popularity.

Brain Challenge (the name is even similar) is described as having 5 game categories, encourages daily practice with the Brain Daily Test (5 random 3-minute mini-games), includes stats and graphs to track performance, and features a virtual person in the logo who speaks in comic-book bubbles during menus. And, the games themselves having a very similar flavor. All in all, it's remarkably like Brain Age with a few elements of Big Brain Academy. These are not very similar at all to the Pocket Simon you pictured.

If you don't see why so many people are calling this a knock off (and Nintendo is clearly behind the current popularity of these kinds of games) I have to think you aren't familiar with the games themselves.

Think what you like, but I'm very familiar with these games, especially Brain Age. I play it every day, except when I don't and the Doctor says he's sad that he hasn't seen me. The stylus definitely adds a useful dimension to the game, especially with drawing and writing numbers, (writing words kinda sucks.)

I'd hope that they WOULDN'T release Pocket Simon for the iPod, (and I'd hope that you'd get my point by referencing a picture of it.) I'm not disagreeing with you guys that Nintendo doesn't have a big influence behind the current re-evolution (or revolution, considering current sales,) of these brain games. I also agree that this iPod version is very similar to the current versions that we're seeing for current game consoles. I'm just saying that brain training games have been around, and will continue to be around in future incarnations. What we're seeing now is just the versions for the current console trend.

I love Nintendo; they've progressed video games in much the same way as Apple has progressed computers, and I'm sure they'll do it again. However, I don't think Nintendo will, or even desires to legally pursue Apple for compensation. As I've said, no one buys an iPod as a gaming system. That's what Nintendo's for. As for the iPod, their games are more of an afterthought, and I think Nintendo is confident in their current position in this market.

hayesk
Dec 5, 2007, 09:35 AM
I'm really annoyed with some of you people that think it's a *requirement* to pay for software. It is, of course, completely and totally up to the software developer, and i do not support anyones ideas to force us to pay. There are tons of free apps. How many of you are using Adium and Firefox?

That's a bad strawman. A responding to a complaint that the game costs $5 is not implying that paying for software should be a requirement.

I'm really annoyed at people who think that software should always be free, but that doesn't mean that I don't think developers should release software for free. As you said, it's totally up to the developer. This developer chose to charge money for it

Not one person here implied that software should never be free.

hayesk
Dec 5, 2007, 09:37 AM

That's good. But if your employer came to you and said "our customers want free software, so is it ok if we don't pay you?" you'd be searching for a job elsewhere pretty quickly.

I'm all for releasing free software, but I will still object to those who expect software to be free. What did they do to deserve free software?

hayesk
Dec 5, 2007, 09:39 AM

First of all, Apple didn't develop this game. Second, did you stop to think that Apple is taking some of the revenue from sales of this game and putting it into R&D?

Hemingray
Dec 5, 2007, 09:44 AM
I'm amused at the irony that for a game calling itself "Brain Challenge", there is a blonde with glasses perched above its title.

Oh, those are glasses? And here I thought it was a unibrow... :p

Beefeater
Dec 5, 2007, 09:44 AM
Don't have a iPod, can you play it on iTunes?

a113524c
Dec 5, 2007, 10:15 AM
Nothing to see here...

Back to playing gpSPhone on my iPod touch.

GFLPraxis
Dec 5, 2007, 10:36 AM

Brain Age (Brain Training in Japan) and Big Brain Academy are made by Nintendo. Everyone and their brother has been ripping it off since. There are ripoffs for the PSP.

This is just another ripoff.

GFLPraxis
Dec 5, 2007, 10:37 AM

No, but Nintendo started the new fad about it. Ever since Brain Training came out in Japan and sold like nuts, then Brain Age over here, everyone has been making "brain games" using terms like "Train your brain!" You never saw catchphrases like that prior.

tk421
Dec 5, 2007, 10:41 AM
...I love Nintendo; they've progressed video games in much the same way as Apple has progressed computers, and I'm sure they'll do it again. However, I don't think Nintendo will, or even desires to legally pursue Apple for compensation. As I've said, no one buys an iPod as a gaming system. That's what Nintendo's for. As for the iPod, their games are more of an afterthought, and I think Nintendo is confident in their current position in this market.

I didn't see anyone mention legal action. I certainly didn't. And as others have pointed out, Apple didn't even develop this game, a third party did.

This game might be a lot of fun. I may even buy it myself. Even if you only play it for an hour over the course of its life, it's only $5 - that's worth it for an hour of enjoyment.

But the first thing I thought when I saw the post on MacRumors (even before seeing the gameplay and reading the description on iTunes) was, "Oh. Another Brain Age knockoff."

hayesk
Dec 5, 2007, 10:53 AM
Brain Age (Brain Training in Japan) and Big Brain Academy are made by Nintendo. Everyone and their brother has been ripping it off since. There are ripoffs for the PSP.

This is just another ripoff.

Brain Age and Big Brain Academy are not made by Nintendo. They are made by Touch Generations.

But I agree with your other point - there have been a lot of copycat titles since then. That will happen whenever a product is successful.

Teddy's
Dec 5, 2007, 10:55 AM

One day "a long time apple user" complained that the Genius bar is plagged by girls that look twins of Lindsay Lohan. He said "the Apple customer base has changed from Professionals to Lindsay Lohan look a likes."

Now, I totally, like... don't know Lindsay's IQ. But I personally believe that... a blonde in that logo would attract the Apple iPod's like... customer base or whatever... and they would feel that Apple really like... totally speaks to thEM?

Because they have google maps now!

eastcoastsurfer
Dec 5, 2007, 11:31 AM
How old are you people? 11?

$5 isn't a big investment and nobody is forcing you to buy it. I went ahead and purchased it because I enjoy the brain games on my DS and Wii and it turned out to be a smart choice. Had it not been, I would have been out $5.

Really, people. It's $5. How much do you blow at Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, or, since most of you are 11, the candy store in one visit?

Good one. Personally attack everyone who thinks $5 is generally too much for many of these games they release. By your logic of 'it's $5' you don't have any problem sending me $5/week for the indefinite future?

Everyone is different, but I don't consider these games to be a good value at $5 each. And, if a SDK ever really does come out, there will be free ports of many fun games.

mainstreetmark
Dec 5, 2007, 11:35 AM
That's a bad strawman. A responding to a complaint that the game costs $5 is not implying that paying for software should be a requirement.

I'm really annoyed at people who think that software should always be free, but that doesn't mean that I don't think developers should release software for free. As you said, it's totally up to the developer. This developer chose to charge money for it

Not one person here implied that software should never be free.

It has been implied, especially during the Apple-Releases-SDK thread a few weeks back, where people were actually HOPING that they could only buy games through iTMS, versus the nice, open platform we (might) have.

Here's the one from this thread.

Exactly.
iPhone apps represent HUGE revenue stream(s) for developers and their efforts will not (nor should not) go uncompensated.
Thus, consumers will pay for their products... possibly via iTS, to help Apple maintain a high level of control.

Maccus Aurelius
Dec 5, 2007, 01:02 PM
Good one. Personally attack everyone who thinks $5 is generally too much for many of these games they release. By your logic of 'it's $5' you don't have any problem sending me $5/week for the indefinite future?

Everyone is different, but I don't consider these games to be a good value at $5 each. And, if a SDK ever really does come out, there will be free ports of many fun games.

But it shouldn't be hard for most people to determine whether or not it's worth the $5 before purchasing it. If it turns out that they don't like the game, I doubt many will feel that jilted by squandering the 5, though will be rightly annoyed. All I've ever purchased was Tetris, and with the many times I've played it, I found it to be more than worth it, since I wouldn't require a dedicated handheld to play this simple game, and the software download is cheaper than any cartridge would have been.

As for sending you $5 each week, there's no subscription charges for the games, and you'd have to actually exchange a service or product in return for the money. I mean, he didn't donate the $5 to charity :p

slicecom
Dec 5, 2007, 02:00 PM
Brain Age and Big Brain Academy are not made by Nintendo. They are made by Touch Generations.

Yes, and Touch Generations is a Nintendo brand, therefore Brain Age and Big Brain Academy ARE made by Nintendo.