Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released a new iPod game called Brain Challenge (iTunes Link).

BrainChallenge_300.jpg

Just like your body, your brain needs exercise to stay in shape Maintaining it simply involves completing small exercises without pain, stress, or boredom. Thats where Brain Challenge comes in! It's like a real vitamin boost for your brain. More than just a game, Brain Challenge is your personal coach and an entertaining, easy solution for keeping your brain alert. With various fun exercises, train you brain whenever and wherever you want on your iPod!
The game is available for all iPods that are compatible with iPod games, including the 5th generation iPod, 3rd generation iPod Nano, and iPod Classic.

Brain Challenge is published by Gameloft and is available for $4.99.

Article Link

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Very nice..I'll have to check it out. But where is it for the iPhone??? :rolleyes:

EDIT: NewSc2 you beat me to it.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
$5.00 games? Geez, when is it February so we can get some good free games?

Who says the apps from the SDK are free? ;-)

Exactly.
iPhone apps represent HUGE revenue stream(s) for developers and their efforts will not (nor should not) go uncompensated.
Thus, consumers will pay for their products... possibly via iTS, to help Apple maintain a high level of control.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
IS a Nintendo DS knockoff. Seems a little early to be ruffling Nintendo's feathers...

Those brain training games are for a number of systems, including the Wii and PSP. I've played a couple for the Wii and DS. They're kind of addicting. If it's anything like those $20 games, $5 is worth it.

It seems like they're trying to go after current popular franchises, which makes sense. I wonder how long before some primitive kind of MMORPG makes it's way onto a future iPod. It's just too bad that the controls are so limited, although no one buys an iPod as a game system.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Why is it that Apple isn't releasing games for the iPhone, which Steve claimed to be "the best iPod ever"?

I would buy this game in a second if it was available for my model.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
They need to start making these games portable to the iPhone and iPod touch. I have purchased 2 or 3 games that I no longer play because I can not use them on my iPhone.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
They need to start making these games portable to the iPhone and iPod touch. I have purchased 2 or 3 games that I no longer play because I can not use them on my iPhone.

This has been announced for February 2008

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
IS a Nintendo DS knockoff. Seems a little early to be ruffling Nintendo's feathers...
Those brain training games are for a number of systems, including the Wii and PSP. I've played a couple for the Wii and DS. They're kind of addicting. If it's anything like those $20 games, $5 is worth it.

Nope. The original Brain Training and Big Brain Academy games are Nintendo exclusives. I have more recently noticed a few knockoffs for Nintendo and non-Nintendo systems.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
like everyone else says, FARKING USELESS to me. I bet it would be awesome on the iPhone and Touch, but oh wait, we can't have apps for it. It's too tough to code for and therefore we don't trust you.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
like everyone else says, FARKING USELESS to me. I bet it would be awesome on the iPhone and Touch, but oh wait, we can't have apps for it. It's too tough to code for and therefore we don't trust you.

Uhm... the SDK has been announced - it's coming in February. Were have you been?

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
$5.00 games? Geez, when is it February so we can get some good free games?

I wasn't aware that software developers get free houses, free food, and free everything else.

Do you do your job for free?

Retired
May 16, 2006
Uhm... the SDK has been announced - it's coming in February. Were have you been?

February is not NOW, and the iPhone is here NOW...

Apple should have had an SDK out by now, and people want games now...

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007

Who said I didn't hear that? I know, knew, and heard the announcement the same day you did. I'm a macrumors member after all, I'm sure we all hit the main page daily, if not more.

I just think it's BS. But I'll wait for another 3 months or more and see if Apple is kind enough to give us this game.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Nope. The original Brain Training and Big Brain Academy games are Nintendo exclusives. I have more recently noticed a few knockoffs for Nintendo and non-Nintendo systems.

Nintendo did not create the handheld brain exercise game franchise, though. These games have existed on other mobile devices, Tiger Electronics handheld games, those big TI calculators, and if you wanna get really ancient:

HH_-_MB_Pocket_Simon.jpg

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I wasn't aware that software developers get free houses, free food, and free everything else.

Do you do your job for free?

I write software for a living. And yes, when I'm not working, sometimes I'll write some software that I'll make available as Open Source. I've done some utility software and some device drivers that way.

Sometimes when I am working and getting paid, I work on stuff that can be released as Open Source. For example I'm working on a system for routing error messages right now. There is no rason not to give this away. With luck some ne else will improve it and contribute the changes back. We all win.

And what about Linux, Solaris and BSD. Three entire operating system all available for free. As above some programmers got paid some did it as a hobby. I think about half of Mac OS X is free software that Apple is re-using

I think if you wanted a free game right now you could write something using java script right now. Why not try?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Nintendo did not create the handheld brain exercise game franchise, though. These games have existed on other mobile devices, Tiger Electronics handheld games, those big TI calculators, and if you wanna get really ancient:

HH_-_MB_Pocket_Simon.jpg

True, but it is hard to argue that Nintendo didn't contribute to their re-surging popularity.

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles

Brain Challenge (the name is even similar) is described as having 5 game categories, encourages daily practice with the Brain Daily Test (5 random 3-minute mini-games), includes stats and graphs to track performance, and features a virtual person in the logo who speaks in comic-book bubbles during menus. And, the games themselves having a very similar flavor. All in all, it's remarkably like Brain Age with a few elements of Big Brain Academy. These are not very similar at all to the Pocket Simon you pictured.

If you don't see why so many people are calling this a knock off (and Nintendo is clearly behind the current popularity of these kinds of games) I have to think you aren't familiar with the games themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.