PDA

View Full Version : Soundstix or JBL Creature

MacMaelstrom
Sep 26, 2003, 04:21 PM
I like Sound Sticks.. which ones a better value

MacFan26
Sep 26, 2003, 04:35 PM
I bought the JBL Creature for my PowerBook. I like them since they are so small but I think they have just as good sound as the Sound Sticks.

Rod Rod
Sep 26, 2003, 04:57 PM
If you like the smaller size, go for the Creature speakers. They run about $130 new but maybe you can find a better deal.

Smalldog.com has refurbished Soundsticks for around $95. I got mine recently and they're great. I can now hear the video I edit, a big improvement over the iBook's little speakers and also over the eMac... the eMac has nice speakers but the sound gets drowned out by its noisy fan. The computer's back is an inch from a wall and it reflects back the fan noise.

QCassidy352
Sep 26, 2003, 05:19 PM
both are really great speakers; everyone seems to like whichever one they get. So just go for price/ looks.

NavyIntel007
Sep 26, 2003, 05:52 PM
Neither... Get the $99 Bose MediaMates. I had the JBL Sonnets (basically the creatures) and in less than a year one speaker became distorted.

DON'T BUY Harmon-Kardon.

MacFan26
Sep 26, 2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Rod Rod
If you like the smaller size, go for the Creature speakers. They run about $130 new but maybe you can find a better deal.

You can get the Creature new at Amazon for $94.08 (and it qualifies for free shipping)

alphaone
Sep 26, 2003, 07:32 PM
What about the Monsoon PM-14's?

I have the soundsticks right now with my dual 867 and I despise them! I am sick and tired of the usb audio issues and apple not dealing with them. When network packets go out through airport the soundsticks pop and sometimes the sound disappears completely and won't come back for a while. So obviously I'm looking to replace them.

pivo6
Sep 26, 2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by MacFan26
You can get the Creature new at Amazon for $94.08 (and it qualifies for free shipping)

I bought my Creature from Amazon with the free shipping and I received it within a week. It sounds great hooked up to my iMac. I have listened to the Bose media mates and they also sound good, but don't look as cool as my Creature.

plinkoman
Sep 26, 2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Neither... Get the $99 Bose MediaMates. I had the JBL Sonnets (basically the creatures) and in less than a year one speaker became distorted.

DON'T BUY Harmon-Kardon.

omg, 1 unfortunate incident doesn't mean all harmon-kardon are crap, good god:rolleyes:

they are great speakers, i'd go with the creatures, alot cheaper then soundsticks, but i doubt the quality is noticibly worse

Fender2112
Sep 27, 2003, 07:43 AM
I looked at Sound Sticks, Creatures and the Bose Media Mate. I went with the Creatures beacause of the form factor. I think any of the three will be a good choise for the price range. I also opted for the siver/gray color. I think it will compliment my G5 when it arrives - on Monday :D

Don't let the small size of the Creatures fool you. They have a really nice sound. The sub woofer of the Sound Sticks did not impress me, at least not for the price. If I remember correctly the Media Mate does not have bass or treble controls. One sound is all you get, although it is a nice sound.

Hope this helps.

Bear
Sep 27, 2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by MacMaelstrom
I like Sound Sticks.. which ones a better value Go with the one that sounds better to you. That will be your better value.

Having said that, the Creature's sounded too tinny to me on the music I listen to. The Soundsticks work better on highs then the Creatures do.

evoluzione
Sep 27, 2003, 10:16 AM
eyelikeart will back me up on this one. get the altec lansing atp3 speakers. they're cheaper and sound a lot better, and they ain't bad looking either.

Wes
Sep 27, 2003, 10:39 AM
A little off-topic, but I'm looking to get these speakers soon: http://www.jblinvader.com opinions?

edit: Url Fixed.

Fender2112
Sep 27, 2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Wes
A little off-topic, but I'm looking to get these speakers soon: http:/www.jblinvader.com opinions?

I liked these also but the four speaker set up didn't fit my needs. If you want the 4.1 or 5.1 sound take a look at the Klipsch ProMedia (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71802/wo/2r4jD7clEKqF2R5ZVO22WAuMMk6/2.3.0.5.10.3.26.13.0) . The styling is a bit different but I think they have a nice sound.

evil
Sep 28, 2003, 09:21 PM
i think im going to be buying the altec 621's tomorrow.

i listened to them today next to the creature speakers and they sounded damn good. same price, with a wired remote, and a 2nd input.

QCassidy352
Sep 29, 2003, 12:31 AM
I've been extremely happy with my soundsticks. This thread is the first time I've ever heard complaints about them.

Foxer
Sep 29, 2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
DON'T BUY Harmon-Kardon.

One man's opinion...

I'm listening to my soundsticks as I type. I've always been happy with them, especially for computer speakers. I used the Creatures with my PBook, basically for the size matter. No complaints with either. It just seems to me that there are four little speakers in the Soundsticks and one in the Creatures.

shake
Sep 29, 2003, 06:51 AM
guys!

audio over usb is for monkeys.
really, it is.
it sucks.

robotrenegade
Sep 29, 2003, 10:18 AM
Sounds sticks are the way to go. I can bumb my whole room office with them.

lmalave
Sep 29, 2003, 10:24 AM
I got the Creatures in White, really happy with them. They look great with my iBook and iPod. Sound great too, especially for Jazz and Instrumental stuff. Vocals don't seem to sound as good, but maybe I just have to play with the graphic equalizer settings.

alphaone
Sep 29, 2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by shake
guys!

audio over usb is for monkeys.
really, it is.
it sucks.
Totally agree with you man. As I said before I despise my soundsticks because of the usb audio bugs. I can't even play online games or listen to music while browsing the web with them.

I'm looking to replace them. Any opinions on the Monsoon PM-14's? I've heard some good things about them and they're under $100 too.

NavyIntel007
Sep 29, 2003, 06:21 PM
Ok, one bad experience. But seriously, the Bose Mediamates sound better than my JBL sonnets did even when the JBLs worked. Better all around sound especially bass with less bulk.