PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Penryns to Launch on January 6th

MacRumors
Dec 5, 2007, 11:11 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

DailyTech.com pinpoints (http://www.dailytech.com/Intels+Penryn+Mobile+Processor+Schedule+Revealed/article9893.htm) the release of the upcoming mobile Penryn CPUs on January 6, 2008.

The upcoming mobile Penryn CPUs have been previously summarized (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/02/upcoming-mobile-intel-penryn-prototype-previewed/) and are expected to provide new processors that Apple could use in an upcoming MacBook Pro update.

Macworld San Francisco starts on January 14th, with a Keynote speech to be given by Steve Jobs on January 15th.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/05/mobile-penryns-to-launch-on-january-6th/)

darthraige
Dec 5, 2007, 11:12 AM
I want my MacPro update before MWSF. Make MWSF a super duper laptop day. Just give us the MacPro Apple!

DMann
Dec 5, 2007, 11:13 AM
Time to roll out the new 'Ultra Thins...'

Feverish Flux
Dec 5, 2007, 11:14 AM
I tried reading the MR Guides and can't seem to get it - are the new mobile Penryns dual or quad core?

justflie
Dec 5, 2007, 11:21 AM
Woohoo for new processors! It doesn't directly affect me at this point since my MBP is only 6 months old, but hey, good for the people who were planning on buying a new notebook! I'm hoping for some sort of sweet new features for the iPhone at MWSF. Hopefully we don't have to wait until February for new stuff (launched alongside the SDK).

Squonk
Dec 5, 2007, 11:24 AM
If true this is most excellent news!!! Well, then again, the desktop class of the Penryn has already been announced and there is not an updated Mac Pro available....

Me = new Penryn MBP in Jan!!!!!!!!!

olliebraves20
Dec 5, 2007, 11:28 AM
Do you think that 9 days between the Penryn release and the keynote is enough time for an immediate release of the MacBook Pro's?? I'm afraid they won't start shipping till later in January....I really need a new MacBook Pro for spring semester!!

sk8ordie
Dec 5, 2007, 11:31 AM
13" MacBook Pro FTW !

kire1820
Dec 5, 2007, 11:48 AM
I have my macbook for 1 year and a half now. Its working great and all but I want to replace one with a little bit more 3D processing power. Hopefully, this new 13" ultra thin will provide that for me...otherwise...ill probably upgrade to the regular MBP. But in any case...its time to save up some cash now so I can upgrade comes january.

jnc
Dec 5, 2007, 11:50 AM
...Shipping in February...

tuneman07
Dec 5, 2007, 11:52 AM
Penryn doesn't even really seem all that impressive, a bit less power consumption, a bit cooler, but supposedly not much more powerful at least real world. I'm just hoping the prices of the current macbooks take a dive so I can buy one sooner.

jshalvorsen
Dec 5, 2007, 11:54 AM
Do you think that 9 days between the Penryn release and the keynote is enough time for an immediate release of the MacBook Pro's?? I'm afraid they won't start shipping till later in January....I really need a new MacBook Pro for spring semester!!

I'm in the same boat, been waiting for january for one semester now because I didn't really need to have a potent mac this semester. But next semester I will be doing a lot of FCP, Motion, Maya... so Penryn MBP would be awesome!

jnc
Dec 5, 2007, 11:57 AM

not so bothered about it being ultra thin, I want it to be able to incorporate some decent components in there. I just want a lighter, more powerful MacBook, which this sounds like it'll be.

happydude
Dec 5, 2007, 11:58 AM

credit card in hand . . .

diamond.g
Dec 5, 2007, 11:59 AM
I tried reading the MR Guides and can't seem to get it - are the new mobile Penryns dual or quad core?

Dual. The quads aren't due out till 2H'08.

EagerDragon
Dec 5, 2007, 12:00 PM
Ready for my ultra light/thin laptop with the fold-out or unrolled 30 Inch screen.

Warning: Wrinkles and folding marks may affect the image, LOL

Very appropriate ... Jan 6 is 3 Wise Men day, NEW TOYS!

cohibadad
Dec 5, 2007, 12:01 PM
Penryn doesn't even really seem all that impressive, a bit less power consumption, a bit cooler, but supposedly not much more powerful at least real world. I'm just hoping the prices of the current macbooks take a dive so I can buy one sooner.

Penryn is VERY impressive IMO.

daveL
Dec 5, 2007, 12:12 PM
Jan. 6th is a Sunday.

Tattoo
Dec 5, 2007, 12:21 PM
I would like to see a 30" iMac with the top end processor :D

ajmac25
Dec 5, 2007, 12:23 PM
I really need a new MBP, but have NO interest in a smaller 13 inch screen. The ultra-portable will be great for some, but I want an upgraded MBP. ANyone truly think they will come out with both? Apple has been disappointing at past BIG announcements and needs to fix the bugs in Leopard before I get real excited.

plumbingandtech
Dec 5, 2007, 12:29 PM
I really need a new MBP, but have NO interest in a smaller 13 inch screen. The ultra-portable will be great for some, but I want an upgraded MBP. ANyone truly think they will come out with both? Apple has been disappointing at past BIG announcements and needs to fix the bugs in Leopard before I get real excited.

I'd say there is a good chance of both.

I would not be surprised to find out apple and intel have been working together to "spin" the new Peryn line to say something like, Peryn, from sub-notebook to 17" books, we have you covered.

gugy
Dec 5, 2007, 12:34 PM
MACPRO NOW!!!!

It's been so long. MacBook Pro can wait!. :D

Dec 5, 2007, 12:47 PM
credit card in hand . . .

Likewise...I can't wait to use my credit card for the BEST slim notebooks ever...GO APPLE!

Rhodan
Dec 5, 2007, 12:54 PM

I'd like to know as well, are they dual or quad core ?

Sannekita
Dec 5, 2007, 12:55 PM
I'm waiting for that new Macbook Pro too, come on Steve, hear us!

GoxKok
Dec 5, 2007, 12:56 PM
It will be a sad sad sad day when my 2.4 SR MBP 4GB RAM isnt the fastest thing out there anymore...:o

Squonk
Dec 5, 2007, 12:57 PM
I'd like to know as well, are they dual or quad core ?

See post #15.

[hint: Dual]

theheyes
Dec 5, 2007, 12:58 PM
I dont see why many people are holding out for MacBook Pros. The penryn is likely to be a drop-in replacement and the performance increase isn't really going to be worth waiting for. 8-10% tops clock for clock and only in certain conditions.

Penryn is only really of interest to overclockers, and maybe those waiting for a quad core laptop.

chewietobbacca
Dec 5, 2007, 01:02 PM
I dont see why many people are holding out for MacBook Pros. The penryn is likely to be a drop-in replacement and the performance increase isn't really going to be worth waiting for. 8-10% tops clock for clock and only in certain conditions.

Penryn is only really of interest to overclockers, and maybe those waiting for a quad core laptop.

To be fair penryn offers a industry first radix-16 divider as well as new SSE process along with increases in cache size all in a smaller cooler package.

But you are right though that the bggest appeal is for us overclockers- I can't wait to drop a QX9770 into my rig and OC it to 4.7GHz on air

Squonk
Dec 5, 2007, 01:04 PM

At this point in time, 5-6 weeks from availability, I might as well (and can) wait for the latest and greatest and not take an even steeper depreciation on the new machine. Plus, I will be keeping this machine for 4 years, so I'll want to have the best I can right now.

And...maybe there will be some other small changes to the system too. I'm being hopeful on this one. Like perhaps a higher-res screen option akin to what the 17's have now.

To be fair penryn offers a industry first radix-16 divider ...

But you are right though that the bggest appeal is for us overclockers- I can't wait to drop a QX9770 into my rig and OC it to 4.7GHz on air

What does the radix-16 divider give us?

I gather that your rig is not a MBP?

Rhodan
Dec 5, 2007, 01:16 PM
See post #15.

Thanks, don't know how I missed that ! :D

ChrisA
Dec 5, 2007, 01:37 PM

You are right. It is an incremental change that users may not notice. Here is a test you can do: Bring up "Activity Monitor" and look at the CPU usage. If it is not pegged at 100% then you will see no difference if the CPU is faster.

That said there are a few users who routinely push the system to 100% But would a small increment in performance help them?

surripere
Dec 5, 2007, 01:39 PM
It will be a sad sad sad day when my 2.4 SR MBP 4GB RAM isnt the fastest thing out there anymore...:o

Uh... see sig. Sorry, friend. ;)

Brendon Bauer
Dec 5, 2007, 01:41 PM
Uh... see sig. Sorry, friend.

lol, I was going to mention the same thing. It's already a sad, sad, sad day. You just can't have the latest and greatest forever! How can I complain, though. 2.4GHz is extremely fast. It's all relative...

Stridder44
Dec 5, 2007, 02:13 PM

Where are there any indications that an "ultra thin" laptop is coming?

Those 13" LED screens are more likely for the 13" MacBook. Not saying an "ultra thin" is out of the question, but it just doesn't seem likely.

deathshrub
Dec 5, 2007, 02:41 PM

SSE4 doesn't seem impressive to you? A more power efficient and smaller chip architecture isn't impressive to you?

:confused::rolleyes:

ut you are right though that the bggest appeal is for us overclockers- I can't wait to drop a QX9770 into my rig and OC it to 4.7GHz on air

Enjoy your fried chip. 4.7 isn't happening.

dubhe
Dec 5, 2007, 03:22 PM
I don't care what the processor is, I just want to replace my 12" PowerBook. Come on Steve...

Manatee
Dec 5, 2007, 03:48 PM
I want this in my new MacBook Pro, and also in my 13.3", SSD, super-thin MacBook Slim. :)

babboxy
Dec 5, 2007, 04:37 PM
I'd say there is a good chance of both.

I would not be surprised to find out apple and intel have been working together to "spin" the new Peryn line to say something like, Peryn, from sub-notebook to 17" books, we have you covered.

that sounds like "Apple is buying up high end Penryn processors this year, leaving little supply for other PC manufacturers" to me.

haha, what a laugh...

Krissanda
Dec 5, 2007, 04:42 PM
Me = new Penryn MBP in Jan!!!!!!!!!

You and me both! I really want a MBP! What will we do if they don't announce one :confused:! Well, it better be a major update, not just a "speed bump" if they do.:apple:

Delu
Dec 5, 2007, 05:00 PM
Dual. The quads aren't due out till 2H'08.

I'm waiting for the updates to convert to mac so I'm pretty much the biggest newbie ever, what's 2H'08?

twoodcc
Dec 5, 2007, 05:08 PM
well i hope to see these in macs in january! :apple:

diamond.g
Dec 5, 2007, 05:12 PM
I'm waiting for the updates to convert to mac so I'm pretty much the biggest newbie ever, what's 2H'08?

2nd half of 2008. July-December.

atheos13
Dec 5, 2007, 06:16 PM
I've been wondering for the longest time why we are only speculating about the release of a macbook pro with the new mobile penryns, when I always thought the iMacs and MacBook Pros used the same line of processor and with Penryn they might be updated around the same time as each other. I figure it's been a good amount of time since the iMac was updated, especially considering the previous update gap, and the last update didn't deliver so well on the processor power. To me, now seems like a great time to put Penryn in both computers.

headfuzz
Dec 5, 2007, 07:05 PM
13" Penryn based Macbook Pro, please Mr. Jobs. Quick as you like, don't spare the horses. :)

jnc
Dec 5, 2007, 10:05 PM
I've been wondering for the longest time why we are only speculating about the release of a macbook pro with the new mobile penryns, when I always thought the iMacs and MacBook Pros used the same line of processor and with Penryn they might be updated around the same time as each other. I figure it's been a good amount of time since the iMac was updated, especially considering the previous update gap, and the last update didn't deliver so well on the processor power. To me, now seems like a great time to put Penryn in both computers.

iMac, MacBook and Mac Mini are the most recently updated items in Apple's lineup.

Mac Pro and MacBook Pro make the most sense right now... everyone's hoping MWSF brings updates related to these machines, and perhaps the iPhone and Cinema Displays.

tuneman07
Dec 5, 2007, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=deathshrub;4582094]SSE4 doesn't seem impressive to you? A more power efficient and smaller chip architecture isn't impressive to you?

:confused::rolleyes:

No its not that impressive, great it will run a few degrees cooler but good luck noticing 10 percent increase in speed (if that). The technology is impressive but in reality its not going to be a huge leap or even a small one really. I certainly won't be paying a premium for one I will gladly take a discount though on the current macbooks.

powerchord
Dec 5, 2007, 11:07 PM
13" Penryn based Macbook Pro, please Mr. Jobs. Quick as you like, don't spare the horses. :)

They shoot horses, don't they?

bigwig
Dec 6, 2007, 12:14 AM
Why would I want a mobile Penryn without Montevina? The January Penryns will almost certainly ship with Santa Rosa unless Intel is way, way ahead of their announced schedule.

TurboSC
Dec 6, 2007, 12:39 AM
For me, It's either they release an ultra-thin with enough specs to win me over, or I'll just go with the updated MBP 15".... i really hope they release a 13" MBP :P

John Musbach
Dec 6, 2007, 12:55 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

DailyTech.com pinpoints (http://www.dailytech.com/Intels+Penryn+Mobile+Processor+Schedule+Revealed/article9893.htm) the release of the upcoming mobile Penryn CPUs on January 6, 2008.

The upcoming mobile Penryn CPUs have been previously summarized (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/02/upcoming-mobile-intel-penryn-prototype-previewed/) and are expected to provide new processors that Apple could use in an upcoming MacBook Pro update.

Macworld San Francisco starts on January 14th, with a Keynote speech to be given by Steve Jobs on January 15th.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/05/mobile-penryns-to-launch-on-january-6th/)

'Tis the season to wait to purchase your mbp's ;) :) :D

dAlen
Dec 6, 2007, 12:58 AM
Why would I want a mobile Penryn without Montevina? The January Penryns will almost certainly ship with Santa Rosa unless Intel is way, way ahead of their announced schedule.

Well, if your laptop is a G4 667 like mine (doesnt meet basic requirements for most graphic applications or even games) then its about time to upgrade.

Why not go ahead and get santa rose.
-LED screen
- battery

The LEDS have issues with yellowish tinting, banding and flickering when you take it off of the brightest setting. I dont really plan on getting one of those.
Maybe next generation will see a better LED?

The battery issues that were 'fixed' in Oct/Nov, maybe they will be right out of the box with the new ones. Althought my battery on the G4 667 did the same thing as what was reported as only a problem with the macbooks....which was that I get 2 seconds of battery life when it says its all the way full.

Maybe the issue causing it is people like me that almost never use the battery. Perhaps you have to (required) to drain it and refill it once a month or it goes all plutty on you. But that doesnt explain it for the macbooks. Point is, flexibility should be there, not some regular hassle maintenance of draining and refilling batteries.

So maybe the new updates will be a nice one to get after all these years. ;)
I agree I would love to wait for the 2nd release of Penryns. - as I always wanted something with 3Ghz in it.
- that will finally be my powerbook G5! :)

Peace

dAlen

MacFly123
Dec 6, 2007, 01:16 AM
Here is the line up for Mac World 2008:

- 4th quarter wrap up.
- iPhone/Touch SDK.
- iPhone/Touch Software Updates.
- Updated MacBooks & MacBook Pros.
- Updated Mac Pro.
- New Cinema Displays.
- Leopard 10.5.2
- One More Thing, iTunes Movie Rentals & HD + Apple TV Update (Hardware &
Software)
- Just One more thing, New Sub-Notebook.

nickane
Dec 6, 2007, 05:27 AM

- 4th quarter wrap up.
- iPhone/Touch SDK.
- Updated Mac Pro.
- New Cinema Displays.
- Leopard 10.5.2
Software)

Spot on. I would add that Xserves will get a 30 second mention after the MPs and I would warn ppl not to get their hopes up about the latter, just cos we've burned so many times before that I'm starting to think that those Mini EOL'd rumours were really about the Mac Pro...

Dec 6, 2007, 07:18 AM
interesting.. though i won't cancel my mbp 17" 2,4Ghz/4GB/250GB/hires -order i placed two days ago just because of penryn. i need a new machine THIS year and i do not expect the new mbp's to have hires LED-screens, which would be the only reason to cancel..

ElCapitan
Dec 6, 2007, 08:55 AM
I really don't see why some of you are getting your hopes up about seeing updated MBP's at mac world. They might be announced, yes, but they wont be available until later. Don't expect to recieve them in january. The chips are going to become available on Jan 6th, so Apple is gonna need some time to put all those chips into the MBP's.

AidenShaw
Dec 6, 2007, 09:03 AM

- 4th quarter wrap up.
- iPhone/Touch SDK.
- Updated Mac Pro.
- New Cinema Displays.
- Leopard 10.5.2
Software)

The "4th quarter wrapup" will be 45 minutes, talking about the Iphone sales, the international Iphones, the 10.5 sales,...

10.5.2? Do you think that The Steve will stand up and describe which 10.5 bugs are being fixed in the next update?

No new MacBooks - they were recently updated.

Probably Penryn-based MBPs, but perhaps not if the chip ramp up is slow. (But it will be hard to ignore, since Intel and the other vendors will have announced Penryn laptops 10 days before.)

Mac Pro - probably. Displays - the current line is way behind the competition, and the design is old - so possibly. (For Apple, it's probably more important to refresh the design than the technology - form over function.)

Xserve - very unlikely. Apple is a gadget company - you expect them to update a server when they're leaving their only tower to languish? The Xserve will stay as it is until Intel tells Apple that Woodcrests are EOL, then Apple will either kill the Xserve or drop in a newer socket-compatible CPU if that's possible.

No sub-notebook - but perhaps a new 13" MBP as a replacement for the 12" PowerBook.

[MBPs] won't be available until later. Don't expect to recieve them in january. The chips are going to become available on Jan 6th, so Apple is gonna need some time to put all those chips into the MBP's.

Apple already has Mobile Penryn samples, so there isn't a problem with engineering the new MBP - it's already running in Apple's design labs.

Usually, Intel ships production chips in volume to the vendors *before* the announcement, so that the vendors will have a few weeks to assemble systems and have them ready for the announcement day.

This didn't happen just right with the the Xeon Penryns - the volume production line wasn't running at high volume before the announcement. Vendors had a few systems at announcement, but they're just now starting to fill the orders.

Whether the same slow ramp will happen with the mobile Penryn isn't yet known - but it wouldn't be a good idea to depend on getting a new MBP right after the keynote. Be pleasantly surprised if you can get one, but don't depend on it.

We'll know more before the keynote - if HP/Lenovo/Dell are selling Penryn laptops with 3 day delivery times the week before MWSF, then the odds are that The Steve will announce and say "available now".

ElCapitan
Dec 6, 2007, 09:21 AM
This didn't happen just right with the the Xeon Penryns - the volume production line wasn't running at high volume before the announcement. Vendors had a few systems at announcement, but they're just now starting to fill the orders.

Whether the same slow ramp will happen with the mobile Penryn isn't yet known - but it wouldn't be a good idea to depend on getting a new MBP right after the keynote. Be pleasantly surprised if you can get one, but don't depend on it.

We'll know more before the keynote - if HP/Lenovo/Dell are selling Penryn laptops with 3 day delivery times the week before MWSF, then the odds are that The Steve will announce and say "available now".

True, but look how long it took for people to get their 2.6Ghz MBP's, almost a month after it was announced, and these were chips that have been out for a while. It's possible that people might get their Penryn MBP's at the end of Jan, but like you said, I wouldn't depend on it. I wish I could have waited to get mine then, my 2.6 will be here monday, but I have to have it for when the semester startes back in early Jan.

thebeat
Dec 8, 2007, 02:42 PM

Its very impressive to me

DMann
Dec 9, 2007, 12:39 AM
Penryn doesn't even really seem all that impressive, a bit less power consumption, a bit cooler, but supposedly not much more powerful at least real world.

'Real World' performance will be greatly enhanced once OS X is optimized to take full advantage of the Penryns.

daneoni
Dec 18, 2007, 11:44 AM
Without Montevina are these chips even worth it? They'll obviously be chocked by SR and therefore not that much faster than current gen