PDA

View Full Version : Google Launches New iPhone Web Application

MacRumors
Dec 5, 2007, 11:22 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Google announced (http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/annc/iphone_application.html) that they have launched a new web-based application for the Apple iPhone that integrates its multiple services into a single interface. The new application is based on AJAX/Web 2.0 technologies and is launched when an iPhone user visits http://www.google.com.
To accomplish this, Google is taking advantage of browser technologies (like AJAX) that made Gmail and Google Maps possible on the desktop. In supporting these advances in web technology, the iPhone's Safari browser not only delivers an excellent mobile Internet experience; it enabled our product and engineering teams to create an optimal Google experience on a mobile device.
The Google web-application offers tabs for Gmail, Calendar, Reader (RSS) and other services.

While Web-based applications have been the only Apple-sanctioned method to deploy applications to the iPhone, Steve Jobs has announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/17/steve-jobs-announces-3rd-party-sdk-for-iphone-for-february-2008/) that a native iPhone developer's kit will be released in February 2008. This should allow developers to release native applications that do not require the use of Safari to launch.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/05/google-launches-new-iphone-web-application/)

mainstreetmark
Dec 5, 2007, 11:23 AM
Ah, this is new?

It's been online for at least a few days, as I've already accidentally been there.

--
edit: well, it looks a bit different. I think the extra stuff used to be below the search box. Where's "I'm Feeling Lucky"?

Rhosfelt
Dec 5, 2007, 11:27 AM
nice! it works on the touch too. :)

arn
Dec 5, 2007, 11:27 AM
It's actually quite nice.

GMail is nicely iPhone formatted.

arn

coolbreeze
Dec 5, 2007, 11:32 AM
Wow, this is great. Google is hitting home runs with the iPhone integration. I may now buy SpanningSync to link my iCal to Google Calendar. Their Leopard functionality scares me a the moment though (SpanningSync).

I like it so far. Every Google service looks great on my iPhone!

It would be nice if there were more calendar views/functionality, though.

DrMoray
Dec 5, 2007, 11:53 AM
Nice. I'm not a big gmail user, which looks to be the biggest benefit here, but it's good to see Google sharing the love with iPhone.

nickspohn
Dec 5, 2007, 11:53 AM
Ah, this is new?

It's been online for at least a few days, as I've already accidentally been there.

--
edit: well, it looks a bit different. I think the extra stuff used to be below the search box. Where's "I'm Feeling Lucky"?

It's new.

I was on google with my phone at about 12am and it was the old one, and i went there today at about 8AM, and there it was.

it's nice.

NewSc2
Dec 5, 2007, 11:54 AM
I've noticed the iPhone-optimized Gmail for at least a few weeks, if not a month or more.

bluefiberoptics
Dec 5, 2007, 11:55 AM
I've been having a problem using the new Google Reader on the iPod Touch. I can click on a story, but I can't go back to the list of stories. Maybe I'm just missing something.

aLoC
Can Safari on the Mac spoof as the iPhone so we can see it?

philgilder
not working for me
it auto-redirects me to www.google.co.uk/m
even though its not the mobile google...

Buran
It's a nice idea, but this isn't really an "application", it's just cute formatting in a web page. Please, stop calling these things "applications" and call them what they really are -- user-agent-sniffing sites that show you different formatting depending on what you're browsing with. This is nothing new and not really news.

imwoblin
Very cool... I like how gmail integrates with the iphone address book. Google is really firing on all cylinders right now. It will be interesting to see how far they can push the envelope with their open source cell phone platform.

koobcamuk
I love how the iphone just gets better and better with things like this.

cohibadad
Dec 5, 2007, 11:57 AM
wow. I am impressed. So quick and responsive. Bravo Google.

network23
Dec 5, 2007, 11:59 AM
It's a nice idea, but this isn't really an "application", it's just cute formatting in a web page. Please, stop calling these things "applications" and call them what they really are -- user-agent-sniffing sites that show you different formatting depending on what you're browsing with. This is nothing new and not really news.

There are such things as web applications. Yes, these tools provided by Google are applications. Just because you access them through a browser doesn't make them a "web page". GMail is an application whether you access it on your desktop PC or your iPhone. Likewise with Google Calendar, Docs, etc.

coolfactor
Dec 5, 2007, 12:00 PM

As stated in the original post by MacRumors:
The new application is based on AJAX/Web 2.0 technologies and is launched when an iPhone user visits http://www.google.com.

There's a big difference between simple styling and an AJAXified interface. It is more of an application than just a bunch of static web pages. Think before you rant.

Now, if only I can see it.... Can someone post screenshots?

skp574
Dec 5, 2007, 12:03 PM
not working for me

Ditto for me, nothing new to see at the moment. Maybe only being rolled out in the US for the time being.

chopcho
Dec 5, 2007, 12:12 PM
Now, if only I can see it.... Can someone post screenshots?

Screenshots:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/12/04/google-pre-launches-new-iphone-interface/

Mr Skills
Are Google Docs and Spreadsheets specially formatted as well? Does this mean that the iPhone can be meaningfully used for editing Word files etc when online now? If so, can someone put up screenshots?

NJPitcher
Does anyone else's back button not work at the google page?

ilogic
Dec 5, 2007, 12:14 PM
really cool.. but not really a big deal.. definitly nicer to search via google.. and its brand new, the old format looks similar and that has been out for many months, this one sports the new top menu, which is nice... i like it... it was a pain to search for images before...

GoCubsGo
Dec 5, 2007, 12:14 PM
Odd, am I the only one who goes to google.com and gets automatically directed to the mobile google?

Tattoo
Dec 5, 2007, 12:19 PM

www.google.com/m

calculus
Dec 5, 2007, 12:25 PM
I don't get it either. I guess it's not yet for those of us not in America:(

Skystar
Dec 5, 2007, 12:31 PM

If you have the debug menu enabled in Safari, you can choose "Mobile Safari 1.0" as the user agent and you can visit www.google.com it will show the iphone version, but it will be spread across your screen. You can make your safari window smaller to make it seem like an iphone screen I guess.

richard5mith
Dec 5, 2007, 12:36 PM
You can get it in the UK just fine. Simply goto http://www.google.com/m instead of just http://www.google.com and it won't do the country redirect.

jmmo20
Dec 5, 2007, 12:38 PM
It's actually quite nice.

GMail is nicely iPhone formatted.

arn

Maybe but really hate this forced gmail interface in the iphone/ipod, since you can't access the full gmail version you see on a desktop. (and Mobile Safari is perfectly capable of opening gmail desktop view; when I bought the ipod touch I ccould access the full gmail interface from my ipod but then it stopped working and can only get to that iphone (rather limited) interface.

AJ Muni
Man these guys are always up to great things. I'm surprised how good it works on edge too. Can you imagine when they finally release the iphone sdk, all the amazing things google is gonna do? Incorporate google gears? I bet apple can use this as advertising because it works so flawlessly..

iSee
Odd, am I the only one who goes to google.com and gets automatically directed to the mobile google?

That's what it does on my iPhone, but not my desktop. So that seems right to me.

chelsel
nothing too special here, just a google app launcher into minified versions of their same old stuff.

any college sophomore CS student worth his salt should be able to whip this up in a week or two.

iSee
Dec 5, 2007, 12:40 PM
Are Google Docs and Spreadsheets specially formatted as well? Does this mean that the iPhone can be meaningfully used for editing Word files etc when online now? If so, can someone put up screenshots?

It looks like the docs are read-only. They have an iPhone optimized view though (you don't need to do a lot of manual zooming in to read the documents).

Cloudsurfer
Dec 5, 2007, 12:50 PM
I dont get it... What's supposed to happen when I visit google.com?

Beefeater
Dec 5, 2007, 12:51 PM
Looks good, can't wait until I get my iPhone.

ShavenYak
Dec 5, 2007, 12:52 PM
Wow, this is great. Google is hitting home runs with the iPhone integration. I may now buy SpanningSync to link my iCal to Google Calendar. Their Leopard functionality scares me a the moment though (SpanningSync).

I like it so far. Every Google service looks great on my iPhone!

It would be nice if there were more calendar views/functionality, though.

Before you jump on SpanningSync, there's another contender, gSync (http://www.macness.com/), that you might want to look at. The latest beta seems to work correctly on Leopard for me - I never did get SpanningSync to work.

iSee
Dec 5, 2007, 12:55 PM
nothing too special here, just a google app launcher into minified versions of their same old stuff.

any college sophomore CS student worth his salt should be able to whip this up in a week or two.

OK, that is so stupid I'll assume you were joking.

But for those who don't get it, I'll elaborate:

* This doesn't add any functionallity.
* It is about optimizing the info for viewing on a mobile device.
* Notice: you don't need to resize the pages -- the text is already scaled correctly (well, actualy I noticed a couple of broken pages, but let's assume they fix those bugs soon).
* Notice: you don't need to scroll side-to-side on a page at all (except for the buggy pages).
* Notice: the info displayed and buttons presented are paired down. Buttons and menus are redesigned for legibility on the screen. Each screen is redesigned to work best on a mobile screen.
* They've even taken into account the way the iPhone fills in forms.

So this is a pretty sophisticated and intelligently done UI design which makes google apps a lot easier to use on a mobile device.

Definitely not something the average college sophomore could pull off.

mainstreetmark
Dec 5, 2007, 12:59 PM
OK, so what's the story here.

Home: You can search google.
--> You can also search google near iPhone's URL entry
Gmail: You can read gmail
--> You can read gmail on your phone
Cal: You can see your google calendar
--> There's also a native calendar on iPhone.
Reader: Ok, well, I guess this is RSS? I don't have any
More: etc...etc..

It looks like most of this initial set of google tools is already available in some form natively on the iphone. Perhaps, not as feature rich?

numlock
Dec 5, 2007, 01:00 PM
i had to manually type google.com/m instead of just google.com to get to the site.

ncsmith4
Dec 5, 2007, 01:09 PM

It looks like most of this initial set of google tools is already available in some form natively on the iphone. Perhaps, not as feature rich?

Looks like youre trying to point out what Im thinking too... "What's the point?"

I have my Gmail come into the native Mail on iPhone. I have my Calendar on the native iCal. I could have searched Google without this web app. So really... Whats the point?

philgilder
Dec 5, 2007, 01:22 PM
You can get it in the UK just fine. Simply goto http://www.google.com/m instead of just http://www.google.com and it won't do the country redirect.
thanks!
still useless for me. i use gmail, but not a gmail account
i use google to simply power my custom domians email...
so it doesnt work in gmail, or calendar... or reader...!!!

Looks like youre trying to point out what Im thinking too... "What's the point?"

I have my Gmail come into the native Mail on iPhone. I have my Calendar on the native iCal. I could have searched Google without this web app. So really... Whats the point?
same

agentkow
Dec 5, 2007, 01:33 PM
I love it on my iPod touch, and can use it in Canada as long as you set the country preference.

However, the list of applications under "more" is insane to try and choose something, especially with the ability to zoom in deactivated.

Also, if I choose "maps" on the touch, it takes me back to the home page but adds the menu bar again, and if you do it again you can eventually have infinite menu bars within menu bars...

iSee
Dec 5, 2007, 01:42 PM

Gmail: unlike the iPhone, you can search your e-mail. (Sure, I'll probably still use the iPhone's native email client most of the time, but if google's client keeps getting better...)

Cal: Is inherently available and shared on other computers.

Reader: Maybe you don't have any because it wasn't an option on the phone... now it is

InkMaster
Dec 5, 2007, 01:45 PM
I really hope things like google and facebook stay on the web. Honestly don't see a point in having "desktop" apps for such things.

But while its nice to see google doing this, it still feels half-assed; just like most other google things... I mean like I'm all for minimalism and whatnot, but most google things are just plain boring - its as if they're cutting all the corners they can.

Like for instance take facebook; their iPhone site is absolutly gorgeous... This on the other hand... Yawn

germ war
Dec 5, 2007, 01:58 PM
Now if only they'd make Google Talk for the iPhone.

Drumjim85
Dec 5, 2007, 02:08 PM

- You can't search in you iphone's gmail.... you can on here..
- You can't view your google docs on the phone... you can here ...

and I'm sure there are more useful things that can be done that i haven't discovered ... its very nice (and while the interface is new, what it's offering isn't really (if you knew where to go))

ClassicMac247
Dec 5, 2007, 02:23 PM
very cool app

bassjunkie
Dec 5, 2007, 02:27 PM
not working for me

Same here. I guess we'll have to wait as usual this side of the pond....

Sorry should of read all post before I posted! tried the http://www.google.com/m and works, cheers!

Flowbee
Dec 5, 2007, 02:35 PM
Even if you use the native iPhone calendar and mail apps, it's still pretty neat that Google is making so many of their services easily accessible to iPhone users. I used to have multiple bookmarks for Reader, Docs, and Calendar... now I can replace them all with one bookmark to google.com.

I also love that under "more," I can now access an iPhone friendly 'Notebook.' The last time I tried to use Google Notebook on my iPhone, it was a complete disaster.

DaftUnion
Dec 5, 2007, 02:42 PM
This is actually funny because I just used google today, this layout popped up, and I didn't think twice about it. After I just checked macrumors.com, I was like oh, it's a new feature and not an old one:o

TitoC
Dec 5, 2007, 02:42 PM
Maybe but really hate this forced gmail interface in the iphone/ipod, since you can't access the full gmail version you see on a desktop. (and Mobile Safari is perfectly capable of opening gmail desktop view; when I bought the ipod touch I ccould access the full gmail interface from my ipod but then it stopped working and can only get to that iphone (rather limited) interface.

Sure you can. Right where it says "View Google in: Mobile | Classic." Just select classic.

Buran
Dec 5, 2007, 02:46 PM
There are such things as web applications. Yes, these tools provided by Google are applications. Just because you access them through a browser doesn't make them a "web page".

Actually, yes, they are web pages. They're AJAX-aware and DHTML-aware and CSS-aware and use complex scripting to do what they do, but they are still webpage and websites.

An application is something you install on your computer, whether that be a smartphone, desktop, laptop, or other device.

A webpage is something you access using a web browser. Yes, websites can be used to do advanced things that weren't possible just a few years ago (yes, like mapping) but in the end you are still using a web browser to view a very fancy web page. The browser is the application, the page is the content you're viewing using that application.

I have a different smartphone (still waiting for a few of the big things Apple left off the iphone; I'll probably get a second-gen one) and I don't call the web version of Google Maps an application; I reserve that term for the actual Google Maps application that I downloaded and installed to the phone. The one that doesn't require me to launch my phone's browser for use, in other words.

gwangung
Dec 5, 2007, 02:50 PM
Actually, yes, they are web pages. They're AJAX-aware and DHTML-aware and CSS-aware and use complex scripting to do what they do, but they are still webpage and websites.

An application is something you install on your computer, whether that be a smartphone, desktop, laptop, or other device.

A webpage is something you access using a web browser. Yes, websites can be used to do advanced things that weren't possible just a few years ago (yes, like mapping) but in the end you are still using a web browser to view a very fancy web page. The browser is the application, the page is the content you're viewing using that application.

I have a different smartphone (still waiting for a few of the big things Apple left off the iphone; I'll probably get a second-gen one) and I don't call the web version of Google Maps an application; I reserve that term for the actual Google Maps application that I downloaded and installed to the phone. The one that doesn't require me to launch my phone's browser for use, in other words.

Hmm....that might be a distinction without a difference to most users of the iPhone, who are probably more focussed on functionality than anything else.

arkmannj
Dec 5, 2007, 03:02 PM
Seems to work nicely, I noticed in Google docs I could only view docs and not edit them, better than thing though.

This isn't Google's fault, but I wish my iphone calender could sync with my Google calendar (without the need to sync with iCal).

Google Chat would be a nice addition also :-)

Diesel55
Dec 5, 2007, 03:15 PM
Also try http://72.14.253.104/m to avoid the redirect

My visits to Google.com kept getting auto-switched to Google.ca, so I pinged the google.com to get the IP number, and entering that worked on the iPhone for the front page. (But I got a page not found error when I tried to login to my gmail account.) google.com/m works ok.

I don't see the iphone version when I try it in the non-debug version of Windows XP version of Safari 3.04.

The Mac version debug mode is done through Terminal:
% defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

The Windows debug mode is enabled by editing the Preferences.plist XML text file:
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Application Data\Apple Computer\Safari\Preferences.plist

To this file, add to the bottom just before </dict> and </plist>
<key>IncludeDebugMenu</key><true/>

Note: I don't see an iPhone option in the User Agent column on the XP Windows version of Safari 3.04.

igazza
Dec 5, 2007, 03:37 PM
cool im jealous

Cheffy Dave
Dec 5, 2007, 03:45 PM
Screenshots:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/12/04/google-pre-launches-new-iphone-interface/

Thanks ChopCho! Right on GOOGLE;) I use GMail all the time, this is right up my alley. Works on the TOUCH too,SWEET!!!!!:D:apple:

TurboSC
Dec 5, 2007, 03:50 PM
nice nice...

I await the day my iPhone will have it's own little google button :)

notredewey
Dec 5, 2007, 04:10 PM
Kinda off topic, but sorta relates; yahoo for me on my touch is not reformatting to the iphone version, even at mobile yahoo. I remember having it before but after I restored it I just get the cell phone version of the mobile yahoo. Anyone have an iPod touch that displays the iphone interface of yahoo? Or is there a specific link or anything to get there? Thanks.

momoe
Dec 5, 2007, 04:13 PM

Haven't gotten to the bottom of the thread yet and I don't know if someone has answered this yet, but I just tried one of my Google docs that I made some time ago... I can read it, but I can not elicit the iPhone keypad, so it looks like no editing capabilities :(

momoe :apple:

weg
Dec 5, 2007, 04:41 PM

Too bad Steve Jobs doesn't allow "real" (third-party) applications on the iPhone (yet), so, for the time being, this is as good as it gets.

And: It has a user interface, it uses an API (the one of the browser), and it processes your data, so, yes, it's an application.

jnc
Dec 5, 2007, 04:43 PM
I'm not getting this on my touch just the general "mobile" iterations, do I have to do something in particular?

nbs2
Dec 5, 2007, 04:46 PM
This is perfect, in at least one aspect.

I manage a schedule for a friend, and make on-the-fly appointments that are run though a shared Google calendar. This will make management a lot easier now that my laptop doesn't have to get hauled everywhere and I don't have to be near a WiFi router.

Do I see this as a perfect solution for all things? No. But, Google's interface rivals Apple's for ease of use and functionality.

Jonx
Dec 5, 2007, 05:04 PM
not working for me

i think its US only atm but if you want to see it just change location by clicking more and it should be at the bottom :)

Ubuntu
Dec 5, 2007, 05:08 PM
Uploaded some screen shots.

The screen shots correspond to the toolbar at the top of the screen.

EDIT: Won't let me upload... meh.

jmmo20
Dec 5, 2007, 05:15 PM
Sure you can. Right where it says "View Google in: Mobile | Classic." Just select classic.

That only works for google, not gmail. You can actually click on to "html view" instead of mobile but that's the desktop light version for those javascript uncapable browsers. If you then click "classic view", you're redirected to the iphone interface.

twoodcc
Dec 5, 2007, 05:16 PM
seems pretty cool. i'm trying it out now :cool:

Nicolasdec
Dec 5, 2007, 05:42 PM
Great job, Google. Too bad i need to go to google.com/m not just google.com

slffl
Dec 5, 2007, 05:44 PM
Eeeh, after trying this out, I really don't have a use for it. I get Gmail through IMAP. Search google through Safari. Use iCal for calendar. etc, etc.

Phil A.
Dec 5, 2007, 06:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I love google but I really wish they'd sort out the integration between google accounts and GAFYD. We pay google for our premier accounts and they lag behind the curve terribly on stuff like this :(

legacyb4
Dec 5, 2007, 06:55 PM
I guess having Google sit on Apple's board really helps pave the way for making sure that Google's application support for Apple. I love how quickly they keep pace with Apple's new toys (I have a touch) and really make using these devices fun.

Di9it8
Dec 5, 2007, 07:02 PM
not working for me

Same for me in the uk, although gmail seems to be working very well on the iphone
How can I force it to go google.com rather than .co.uk/mob?:confused:

iSee
Dec 5, 2007, 07:07 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I love google but I really wish they'd sort out the integration between google accounts and GAFYD. We pay google for our premier accounts and they lag behind the curve terribly on stuff like this :(

The new interface is working for my Google apps, same as for my (separate, rarely used) google account. (That's what you mean by GAFYD? Google Apps for Your Domain?)

Jonx
Dec 5, 2007, 07:08 PM
Same for me in the uk, although gmail seems to be working very well on the iphone
How can I force it to go google.com rather than .co.uk/mob?:confused:

try using classical view of the page than choose more (link is on top of the search bar) scroll down and change location

Di9it8
Dec 5, 2007, 07:14 PM
cool im jealous

Just take a trip to La France where you can buy an unlocked iPhone:D

bross00
Dec 5, 2007, 07:19 PM

That's a very, very antiquated definition of an application. An application essentially is logic that leverages a computer's (or device's) processor, etc. to perform stuff the user wants it to. While back in the day applications were once imbeded in punch cards, then later in monolithic "programs" there is a fairly mature though still emergent model for distributed applications.

Pieces of code in disparate servers serving needs of a task performed by a user via an installed program or a visited web application. Scripting and development tools (AJAX included) incorporate logic and code that is run on the device that visits the site. These mini-bundles of logic, web applications, are applications...but, they're just the tip of the iceburg.

Darth.Titan
Dec 5, 2007, 08:28 PM
thanks!
still useless for me. i use gmail, but not a gmail account
i use google to simply power my custom domians email...
so it doesnt work in gmail, or calendar... or reader...!!!

same

Sure it works with your setup. To access it you would go to google.com/a/yourdomain.com
From there you can access Google Mail, apps, calendar, whatever.
Same interface, same functionality.

Buran
Dec 5, 2007, 08:30 PM
So, I suppose by that definition, my website's image gallery is an "application". CNN.com is an "application". Amazon.com is an "application".

Never heard them called that. Ever. But to Apple fanboys (or fangirls), even a search box and submit button on a webpage is an "application" now. :rolleyes:

jnc
Dec 5, 2007, 08:50 PM
Oh, right. US only then. Nothing to see here..

iSee
Dec 5, 2007, 10:17 PM
So, I suppose by that definition, my website's image gallery is an "application". CNN.com is an "application". Amazon.com is an "application".

Never heard them called that. Ever. But to Apple fanboys (or fangirls), even a search box and submit button on a webpage is an "application" now. :rolleyes:

'Ever notice how you can always tell when somebody loses an argument online because they start calling all their opponents fanboys?

spydr
Dec 5, 2007, 11:13 PM
This is lovely. Very responsive and very readable.

Regarding google docs, I still can't seem to be able to edit it. But text documents are parsed perfectly for the iPhone screen, so there is no zooming in or out needed–very legible. I will be more thrilled when I can edit, though.

Also love how picassa albums load beautifully at optimized size that seems to load rather briskly.

veneficuss
Dec 5, 2007, 11:27 PM

wow are you dense, you are obviously not a software engineer so I don't understand why you are ranting about things you do not understand. A web application is a server-client model. The browser is nothing more than an intelligent terminal to access the application which is centralized on a server farm, I say intelligent because a lot of logic can be placed in javascript and flash. The application is installed somewhere, on the web server, and it has been compiled into Java bytecode. Hmm ... write code, compile it, install it on a web server... why yes I think it IS an application.

agentkow
Dec 5, 2007, 11:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

They fixed the insane size of the list in the "more" section by using a grid of icons instead.

Kind of nice to gripe about something in the morning and have it changed by the afternoon...

iSaul
Dec 6, 2007, 12:24 AM
I dont understand why someone would access their gmail that way when they could just have it downloaded to their phone.

Drumjim85
Dec 6, 2007, 12:48 AM
I dont understand why someone would access their gmail that way when they could just have it downloaded to their phone.

you can search your email on the Internet version. You can also view your google docs.

imacdaddy
Dec 6, 2007, 12:56 AM
go here instead

http://www.google.com/m?tab=gw?q=

John Musbach
Dec 6, 2007, 01:01 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Google announced (http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/annc/iphone_application.html) that they have launched a new web-based application for the Apple iPhone that integrates its multiple services into a single interface. The new application is based on AJAX/Web 2.0 technologies and is launched when an iPhone user visits http://www.google.com.

The Google web-application offers tabs for Gmail, Calendar, Reader (RSS) and other services.

While Web-based applications have been the only Apple-sanctioned method to deploy applications to the iPhone, Steve Jobs has announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/17/steve-jobs-announces-3rd-party-sdk-for-iphone-for-february-2008/) that a native iPhone developer's kit will be released in February 2008. This should allow developers to release native applications that do not require the use of Safari to launch.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/05/google-launches-new-iphone-web-application/)

This is pretty nice, perhaps when Apple releases their official iPhone SDK Google will take it a step further and make a iPhone native interface to these services as well

imacdaddy
Dec 6, 2007, 01:20 AM

the web app is not just for accessing gmail. Now I can access Google Reader whereas I've been using Netvibes.

WildPalms
Dec 6, 2007, 01:55 AM
There are such things as web applications. Yes, these tools provided by Google are applications. Just because you access them through a browser doesn't make them a "web page". GMail is an application whether you access it on your desktop PC or your iPhone. Likewise with Google Calendar, Docs, etc.

No, its not an web application. We develop web applications and the design spec dictates that the application will be locally cached and continue to run, even after the host is no longer connected to the originating server.

You guys really need to stop piggy-backing on bad and incorrect web terms that gain validity through common usage only.

somewhat
Dec 6, 2007, 05:08 AM
Can someone tell me if I am missing something with using Gmail on my ipod touch.. either with this new incarnation or the standard web interface.

For the life of me I can't seem to get any Gmail login form to remember my username, which is a real PITA to type in each time. I've cleared my cookies, ticked "Remember Me" etc but no joy.

Basically I just want to mimic the usual Firefox behavior of having my username rememberd but not the password.. or is this some Safari/Gmail issue? (never used Safari before my touch)

Phil A.
Dec 6, 2007, 05:11 AM
The new interface is working for my Google apps, same as for my (separate, rarely used) google account. (That's what you mean by GAFYD? Google Apps for Your Domain?)

I just get an error when I try and log in with my Google Apps e-mail address and password. Guess I'll keep trying :)

curmi
Dec 6, 2007, 05:26 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_application

bross00
Dec 6, 2007, 07:26 AM
You guys really need to stop piggy-backing on bad and incorrect web terms that gain validity through common usage only.

And you need to be less myopic. Simply because you design web apps to run locally after a connection failure doesn't mean that's the definition of a web application or more broadly of an application. That's simply a requirement of your web application. Did the old Bloomberg terminals cease to be applications when they lost their data connection? Are very thin client Bloomberg "terminals" no longer applications? Does the application Google Maps cease to be an application when you're not connected to the internet?

For that matter - does Microsoft Office cease to be an application when you turn your computer off. I know that sounds insipid, but the debate we're having is similar. You may not be impressed by the service Google has launched. You certainly can be frustrated Apple hasn't yet allowed for developers to distribute native applications for the iPhone (note the qualifier native); native applications can certainly do many things better than server-centric applications (though not everything). But to call a sophisticated suite of services accessed by I'd bargain millions of people a web page and not an application is just silly.

Google's iPhone interface (we can agree there, right?) may have a very small footprint when loaded on your iPhone. But the fact that it does run processes (scripts) on your iPhone to facilitate the interface and the access of data clearly makes it an application. We could have a debate, though it would be semantical, if a simple HTML page which accesses sophisticated server-side processes is an application, part of an application or just a web-page. But - we'd be missing the point.

Applications, their concepts and manifestations have evolved as rapidly as the hardware and networks they leverage. Consider corporate ERP systems (thin clients and massive back end processes and now more commonly browser based thin-clients and massive back end processes), to sophisticated distributed multi-tier systems accessed via a browser, phone and other devices via static HTML, dynamic scripting and other means (e.g. Google's services), to modern online games, etc; the entire nature of what an application is (and has been for some time) exceeds the concept of a monolithic, independent and installed piece of software.

freediverdude
Dec 6, 2007, 08:48 AM
Just my two cents- an application like the Google stuff is an application on Google's servers, however it's not an application on my iphone. I think that's the distinction that should be made that might make everyone happy. "Web application" is just a new term for when servers host their application over a web page. I can't use or open the application without connecting to Google's web pages, so the application is not on my iphone.

tretwet
Dec 6, 2007, 03:04 PM
That sucks. Now Nokia will have to spoof as iPhone to avoid their browser being discriminated (it's the same engine, dammit!). Opera had to spoof IE, they'll probably start spoofing iPhone as well.

How will mobile user-agent will look in 2 years?

User-Agent: "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; just kidding; MSIE 6.0; Vista) WebKit like Gecko or iPhone or AppleWebkit or HTML, but Opera/12.0 really, nah it's the Nokia S120 browser, hi lamers!"

iKenny
Dec 6, 2007, 05:58 PM
I hate to be a grammar nazi, but to the Macbytes guys:

Google launches Web 2.0 interfaces to its web apps for iPhone users

"it's" = "it is" always

sorry to be a debbie downer. go iphone!

Jodeo
Dec 6, 2007, 06:38 PM
It's = It is.

Its = Possessive form.

Get a Brain, MORANS!
(Go U'SA!!!11!1!)

kanefsky
Dec 6, 2007, 10:42 PM

I *wish* I was a college sophomore CS student again :) But it did only take a week or two for the bulk of it.

--
Steve

chelsel
Dec 6, 2007, 11:35 PM
Four posts in five years... talk about coming out of the woodwork! :-)

kanefsky
Dec 7, 2007, 12:08 AM
Four posts in five years... talk about coming out of the woodwork! :-)

I'm looking to hit that 1 post per year mark. Oops, I just did :)

--
Steve

mgrad92
Jan 25, 2008, 11:28 AM
Amybody figure out how to add or remove one to or from a message yet? Only way I've been able to do so is to switch back to the desktop application -- er, mode, or whatever.

jnc
Jan 25, 2008, 12:04 PM
Hooray, the gmail "app" now works on my UK iPt.