PDA

View Full Version : 17" powerbook: 4700 vs 5200 hardrives

Ray
Sep 27, 2003, 06:49 PM
Does anyone have an answer as to why apple offers 2 hard drives for their 17" powerbook? Any significant performance differences?

acj
Sep 28, 2003, 05:06 PM
Yes, the 5200 RPM drives are faster and use more power. 7200RPM drives are beginning to emerge as well. Not surprizingly, they too are faster and use even more power.

trebblekicked
Sep 28, 2003, 06:55 PM
don't get screwed. i was afraid of the <5200 rpm drives, but the 4xxx on my tibook has handled av and composite work perfectly for almost a year.

Kiwi-Todd
Sep 28, 2003, 07:19 PM
Yeah, i'm just like Trebblekicked - I had been using the drive in my Rev A 17" PB for about 6 months for video etc before I found out that it was only 4xxx (I thought that it was 5200) Everyone says that you need 7200 for video but it doesn't seem to necessarily be true.

BTW I have the drive partitioned into system and Video drives - this probably helps keep things cleaner.

plinkoman
Sep 28, 2003, 08:18 PM
you just have to decide which is more important, speed or battery life.

anyone know what the performence differences between the 2 drives are? and what the battery life difference is? if you know what those differences are, just pick the one with the least disadvantage. or if its a deskotp replacement, get the faster drive, if its for portability, get the slower one.

man i would love to buy a new 17" pb, but i think i will wait till G5... if for no other reason then it will take me that long to save up enough...

acj
Sep 29, 2003, 01:16 AM
according to this article at barefeats (http://www.barefeats.com/hard34.html) the 5200RPM drives give a significant speed increase and use little more power. They also suggest possibly getting the minimum drive and replacing it yourself with a 7200RPM drive.

Ray
Sep 29, 2003, 11:48 AM
Thanks to all of you who replied to my post. I decided to go with the 5200. Battery life is important but I'm usually running on ac. One thing I thought might be a problem is heat. Any thoughts?
Ray

plinkoman
Sep 29, 2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Ray
Thanks to all of you who replied to my post. I decided to go with the 5200. Battery life is important but I'm usually running on ac. One thing I thought might be a problem is heat. Any thoughts?
Ray

don't worry about heat in the 17", from what i've heard, it stays nice and cool unlike the 12"