PDA

View Full Version : My dual 2ghz is DOA :(

Macette
Sep 27, 2003, 07:44 PM
That's right - yesterday I dropped close to 10,000 Australian dollars on a dual 2ghz with 1GB of RAM, an Airport Extreme card and a 23" Apple Display... get it home, switch it on, NOTHING.

Well, not nothing.

The startup chime sounded, along with a whirring fan-starting noise (like a car revving its engine - can someone with a dual comment on whether theirs sounds like this as well???). It also made a faint clicking noise (other people have commented on this, but not in conjunction with it not working), and also I could hear a noise a bit like a dot-matrix printer.. hard to describe really.

But the screen never showed anything.

So I shut it down, tried again.

Same nothing (with noises).

Thought it might be the screen, so I plugged it into my old screen using DVI-VGA adaptor - but still nothing.

Then I got the bright idea of removing airport card and RAM - and then IT WORKED!

I thought I'd just got bad RAM, so I shut it down, replaced the Airport card (but not the RAM), and spent the rest of the day happily transferring stuff from my old computer, setting up icons and desktops, enjoying the HUGE difference between it and my old G3. It really is a beautiful machine, even with only 512 MB RAM. It just flies. I was up until 2am playing with it and making friends.

Then this morning I got up, ready to have more fun with it, and it DID THE SAME THING.

I'm now very sad, because I know there aren't many in Australia and it could be weeks before I get another one...

Anybody got any tips about what I could try before I take it back? It's going to be a few days before I can, so i'd love to be able to get it going a bit at least.

mac15
Sep 27, 2003, 07:49 PM
Once it boots, don't shut it down. Put it on sleep or just leave it running like I do

Freg3000
Sep 27, 2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by mac15
Once it boots, don't shut it down. Put it on sleep or just leave it running like I do

But that really doesn't solve the problem.

I'd keep it around for a little while, and if it still persists, I'd return it-although it would be very hard to re pack it. :(

Good luck.

Macette
Sep 27, 2003, 07:52 PM
I was on my way back to make an edit, actually -

this morning it DID turn on first go, but then I left it for a while when I got breakfast, and it was when I came back and woke it from sleep that it went weird - the whole screen filled with a weird pinky digital pattern, and then I had to shut it down.

It's something to do with my graphics card, isn't it.

applemacdude
Sep 27, 2003, 07:57 PM
Open the g5 and press the cuda button, this might help

Macette
Sep 27, 2003, 08:01 PM
what and where is the cuda button?

yoda13
Sep 27, 2003, 08:10 PM
I had the same problem with my iBook not so long ago. (Not that an iBook is anything like a G5:D) It had to go back to Apple and it turned out to be a bad logic board. I had very similar symptoms on the iBook. thought that this might help.

Good luck

Macette
Sep 27, 2003, 08:12 PM
thanks man - i think i'm just going to turn it off, pack it up, and cry.

QCassidy352
Sep 27, 2003, 08:41 PM
yeah... I'd say return it. You paid a lot of money and deserve better than having to try to mess around in an effort to make this work. Fresh out of the box, it should work. Period.

OKComputer
Sep 27, 2003, 08:46 PM
i know its slightly unrelated but yes, to all, when i first turn mine on the fans rev up to High and go back down to low within a few seconds...then the chime sounds. its cool!

LimeLite
Sep 27, 2003, 08:58 PM
Sounds like the video card to me. You might consider having it fixed under warranty instead of returning it, might get a quicker turn around.

applemacdude
Sep 27, 2003, 09:00 PM
Here's a rough pic of teh location of the cuda button( sorry for the horrible quality)

Fender2112
Sep 27, 2003, 10:08 PM
Make sure the graphics card and RAM sticks all seated nice and snug. Sometimes they can come loose during shipping.

mac15
Sep 27, 2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
But that really doesn't solve the problem.

I'd keep it around for a little while, and if it still persists, I'd return it-although it would be very hard to re pack it. :(

Good luck.

But its a small work around until he can get his fixed

Golem
Sep 27, 2003, 11:58 PM
If it doesnt start working real soon I would return it as DOA. Better to have a fresh computer than spend that much and have long term problems.

Congrats on getting 2ghz I doubt their are more than 100 or so in Australia right now.

<--- Still waiting for pbook+1.6 but I ordered after Pbook release.

mac15
Sep 28, 2003, 12:29 AM
There's gotta be about a 100 G5s and 500 iPods. We have such a shortage its not funny

Macette
Sep 28, 2003, 12:39 AM
according to my reseller, i was Number 1 order in the country - i haven't heard about any other people who have them yet, except maybe a couple of education orders.

so i was feeling pretty special until it died.

i'm not worried about it really - i know the DOA policy means that they'll give me a new one and it'll be sweet - but I reckon i'll be waiting another few weeks now, since supply is so low, and that makes me sad. My G3 is so close to packing it in, it's really struggling, and I'm kinda scared it won't last.

I also am angry that i'll have to copy that 80 gig of stuff over again. Man that took a long time.

mmmdreg
Sep 28, 2003, 02:32 AM
My eMac was stuffing around when I first got it. It was the RAM. Does Apple still ship with those hardware test cd's? Give one of them a go. They work nicely.

MacBandit
Sep 28, 2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Fender2112
Make sure the graphics card and RAM sticks all seated nice and snug. Sometimes they can come loose during shipping.

I agree totally. With your video problems I would bet this is the issue. When you opened it to play with the RAM and Airport card you probably shook things enough that the card made a partial connection but it came loose again.

Macette
Sep 28, 2003, 03:32 AM
Yes, I thought this could have been it as well, and I really pressed everything into place hard - but still no luck.

I don't want to be too rough with it though, because then my luck would be that Apple would say i'd voided my warranty or something...

It's so frustrating. But I just want their guys to check it out, make sure it's working absolutely perfectly, and then send it back to me. That's what I spent $400 on AppleCare for...

MacBandit
Sep 28, 2003, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Macette
Yes, I thought this could have been it as well, and I really pressed everything into place hard - but still no luck.

I don't want to be too rough with it though, because then my luck would be that Apple would say i'd voided my warranty or something...

It's so frustrating. But I just want their guys to check it out, make sure it's working absolutely perfectly, and then send it back to me. That's what I spent $400 on AppleCare for...

Have you tried using the hardware test CD?

Macette
Sep 28, 2003, 05:17 AM
the problem is that i don't get anything on the screen - so I wouldn't be able to make a diagnosis with a cd anyway.

EDIT: I just checked, and there's no Hardware Test CD anyway - maybe G5s don't ship with them?

aethier
Sep 28, 2003, 08:04 AM

I also am angry that i'll have to copy that 80 gig of stuff over again. Man that took a long time.

Why don't you use firewire target disk mode? (hold down "T" on the target computer, on start up) it will make it go much faster then tranfering via airport. and if the g3 doesn't have firewire, then doing a direct ethernet connection will still be much faster then airport.

aethier

Bear
Sep 28, 2003, 09:57 AM
Could it be as simple as a flaky airport card? Can you try running without the card and see if that fixes the issue?

Getting a new airport card should be much faster than waiting for a new system.

wdlove
Sep 28, 2003, 02:44 PM
Congratulations on your decision to purchase a dual G5. I'm very sorry to hear about the problems that you are having Macette! :(

I know that for me personally, I would call Apple's 800 help number. Imagine that they would suggest returning the G5. At least that is what I would want!

macphoria
Sep 28, 2003, 03:33 PM
That really sucks. But it does sound like Video Card might be the problem.

zapp
Sep 28, 2003, 04:03 PM
I read somewhere Apple has a policy about DOA. As long as they rule it DOA you get a brand new computer. But if they don't rule it DOA then you have to send it in to get repaired. And if the problem resurfaces you send it in again and again. 3 months after I got my iBook the screen garbled and froze. Sent it in and they promptly changed the logic board and sent it back. Then 3 months later it happened again. sent it in and they replaced the logic board. Very frustrating, though I am not one of those people to cry and complain and say I am switching back. I love my Mac. Now applecare is a must. It has been fine since last time I sent it in. Anyhow now that I am way off topic, send it in under DOA so you don't get stuck with a lemon.

Macette
Sep 28, 2003, 05:28 PM
Thanks for tips everyone - i've tried removing pretty everything i can think of, putting it back in, swapping ram pairs around, taking out the airport card, pressing the graphics card into place... just no joy.

For the interest of American people, in Australia Apple is much less hands-on - I think my Apple reseller will be doing all my warranty work, and just chargin apple for it. I don't think I have to send the machine back to Apple - unless it's DOA, in which case my reseller will send it to them, and Apple will send them a replacement.

It's quite good, because my relationship with my reseller is excellent - he's extremely knowledgeable and not a gimp like most of the Apple resellers around where I live.

Anyway, my plan is to take it into them today or tomorrow - whenever i can get some time off work - and with any luck the problem will be solved by the end of the week. That's my best-case scenario.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Macette
Sep 28, 2003, 07:21 PM
Happy Ending (or at least, I hope it is):

My reseller just called, and told me he's got a brand new one, which I can go it and exchange my broken one for as soon as I like.

Yay! DOA...DOA...DOA (in same rhythm as USA...USA...USA) :)

QCassidy352
Sep 28, 2003, 08:10 PM
hey, that's great, glad that you're getting it replaced and don't have to go through the hassle of repairs. Take it back and enjoy! :)

oingoboingo
Sep 28, 2003, 10:10 PM
the problem is that i don't get anything on the screen - so I wouldn't be able to make a diagnosis with a cd anyway.

EDIT: I just checked, and there's no Hardware Test CD anyway - maybe G5s don't ship with them?

I'm in Australia too, and got my 1.6GHz G5 on Friday. Very nice!

The Hardware Test CD (actually a DVD) is on the same DVD that the OS X restore is on...it's the only piece of media that I got with my G5 (apart from a blank CD-R). Place it in the optical drive, and hold down either the Command or Option key while booting (can't remember which key, check the docs). The Mac should present you with 3 boot options to choose from (HDD, OS X install, or Hardware Test). Choose the test and you're away...assuming you can see anything, that is.

Foxer
Sep 29, 2003, 12:52 AM
Hardware test is on the system restore disk.

My G5 also revs up when starting, which is kind cool. After that, it's whisper quiet.

Jagga
Sep 29, 2003, 09:59 AM
say applemacdude did you get that photo of the mobo inside the September 2003 issue of macworld?? If so take a look at the number of ports on the right....only 9?!?! There should be at least 10 (given that not all G5's will ship with Bluetooth or a 56k Modem)--> that leaves spdif in & out, analog in& out, 2 usb, firewire400 & 800, and lastly Ethernet?? This cannot be the mobo that ships with the POwerMac, can it??

MacBandit
Sep 29, 2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Jagga
say applemacdude did you get that photo of the mobo inside the September 2003 issue of macworld?? If so take a look at the number of ports on the right....only 9?!?! There should be at least 10 (given that not all G5's will ship with Bluetooth or a 56k Modem)--> that leaves spdif in & out, analog in& out, 2 usb, firewire400 & 800, and lastly Ethernet?? This cannot be the mobo that ships with the POwerMac, can it??

It took me a few minutes to figure out too but that's the motherboard. Here's the deal. The photo was taken with all cards and modules removed. If it wasn't soldered on it got removed.

Starting from the bottom. The first port is the modem which is removed since it's on a card. You can see the black connector just to the left. Then you have the ethernet port, firewire 800, firewire 400, 2x USB 2.0, audio in and audio out, optical in and optical out, and finally the airport and bluetooth antenna connectors are removed also. You can kind of see an outline on the board where they should be.

http://a592.g.akamai.net/7/592/51/b7501486f67054/www.apple.com/powermac/images/expansionports06262003.gif

Macette
Sep 29, 2003, 07:27 PM
Got my replacement baby this morning and it so unbelievably good i just can't believe it. Ripping CDs into iTunes (192kbs, AAC) at 17x - and sometimes more! This is a dramatic improvement on my G3 350 to say the least. :)

I haven't installed all my Apps yet, so haven't done photoshop tests etc.. but am looking forward to getting it out on the open road and taking it for a spin.