PDA

View Full Version : West 14th Street Store Opening Tonight

mrat93
Dec 3, 2007, 04:56 PM
http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2007/12/03/14th-street-officially-announced/

I'll probably get there from 4:00 to 4:30. Who else is gonna be there?

Foxglove9
Dec 3, 2007, 09:04 PM
I'm going to have to pass this time around.

mrat93
Dec 6, 2007, 05:40 PM
I sent this to the admin of ifoapplestore.com:

I saw a link to this earlier on Apple's start page. However, they have taken it down since then. They showed the various items they would be giving away, odds of winning, and number of those items being given away.. (I am doing this from memory, so I might not be completely accurate.) $10 iTunes gift card: Odds 1:14. iPod Shuffle: Odds 1:24. iPod Touch: Odds 1:100. iMac: 1:1000. MacBook (Pro?): 1:1000. I think there might have been a Mac Mini there too, but I am not sure. There was no mention of AppleTV iPhone, iPod Classic or Nano, or MacPro. Storage in iPod touch was not mentioned, nor were specs of computers.

iYann
Dec 6, 2007, 10:32 PM
Making the trip from Canada.
Should leave at 10 30 and arrive at 5 00.
Don't know what to expect...

iYann
Dec 7, 2007, 07:38 AM
So who else is coming ???

Rojo
Dec 7, 2007, 08:57 AM
I'm going to be there, but the earliest I can get there is 6. How long do the giveaways last? And I know that's when it opens, but I've never been to an Apple Store opening, so don't know how long the lines are -- how long does it take until you're actually IN the store?

MacRumors
Dec 7, 2007, 12:46 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple's West 14th Street Store (http://www.apple.com/retail/west14thstreet/) in New York will have its grand opening (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/12/06retail.html) tonight at 6 pm EST.

"We are thrilled to open our third and largest store in Manhattan on West 14th Street," said Ron Johnson, Apple's senior vice president of Retail. "We think New Yorkers will love this stunning new location and the incredibly talented team we've assembled to make the Apple Store West 14th Street a place where people can shop, learn and truly be inspired."

The store is Apple’s first three-story store with two floors dedicated to products and a third dedicated to services, including a 46-foot Genius Bar and specially designed areas for workshops and personal training.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/12/07/West14th_300.jpg

ifoAppleStore is on location (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2007/12/07/14th-street-waiting-line-begins/), and reports on rumors that Apple will be giving out free laptops to the first 10 people in line (there were 62 in line as of their post).

With the West 14th Street store, there are now 3 New York City stores, including the glass-cube 5th Avenue store (http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/week/20071202.html) and the original SoHo store (http://www.apple.com/retail/soho/week/20071202.html).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/07/west-14th-street-store-opening-tonight/)

Drumjim85
Dec 7, 2007, 12:47 PM
I like the usage of the billboards ... very effective!

esquared
Dec 7, 2007, 12:50 PM
Free laptops my *ss! This is Apple we're talking about, T-shirts and 10% (maybe) off is it.

justflie
Dec 7, 2007, 12:50 PM
Wow! The giveaway prizes are sweet. I would have never expected them to give away laptops. I thought even iPods would be a stretch. Good luck to those in line!

Arcady
Dec 7, 2007, 12:53 PM
Every site seems to be saying this is the first Apple store with a third story. While this is technically true, the store in Ginza (Japan) has four floors (including a third.)

Rojo
Dec 7, 2007, 12:56 PM
I'm telling you now....I'm WINNING one of those MacBooks. I seriously have to -- the screen on my last one broke, and I haven't been able to replace it.
So one of those MacBooks is MINE. Just letting people know... :D

(Ok, I know it's in my dreams...just humor me)

twoodcc
Dec 7, 2007, 01:08 PM
wow, free laptops! dang. :eek:

a three story-building...now why can't there be one of those in Atlanta?

DMann
Dec 7, 2007, 01:09 PM

Seems to be a great location.....

Stampyhead
Dec 7, 2007, 01:19 PM
I like the usage of the billboards ... very effective!

Yeah, those billboard signs are killer. Guess I'll have to make a trip to NYC sometime soon. Still have to visit the 5th Ave. store too.

p0intblank
Dec 7, 2007, 01:24 PM
I wish I could be there this time! :( Unfortunately I'm stuck at school for the weekend. I attended the Fifth Avenue store's grand opening and had such a great time. I even got to see Steve Jobs a couple times that day.

Please post plenty of photos and have a great time! :D

plumbingandtech
Dec 7, 2007, 01:25 PM
Someone grab me one of those opening day tshirts;)

InkMaster
Dec 7, 2007, 01:26 PM
So... Unapplelike; both the billboards and the building...

jasonklee
Dec 7, 2007, 01:26 PM
man, i really wanna go, but no one to go with...

but free stuff is always tempting...

scoobydoo99
Dec 7, 2007, 01:30 PM
you people know you can order stuff online, right? you don't have to wait in line just to get INTO a store. i mean, if i wait in a line, there better be like a ride at the end of it.

Clive At Five
Dec 7, 2007, 01:31 PM
That staircase is a thing of beauty! Reminds me of the G4 Cube. Why doesn't Apple design beautiful computers anymore? Minimalism is... blah.

And c'mon, Apple! Minneapolis/St.Paul deserves at least ONE Flagship store. All we have is four severely cramped mall stores. Really. Nicollet Mall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicollet_Mall) is yours for the taking! It has classic architechture, and up-scale retail and dinning, and is right down the road from the IDS. There is no better location for a Flagship store until you hit Chicago.

-Clive

Drumjim85
Dec 7, 2007, 01:36 PM
That staircase is a thing of beauty! Reminds me of the G4 Cube. Why doesn't Apple design beautiful computers anymore? Minimalism is... blah.

And c'mon, Apple! Minneapolis/St.Paul deserves at least ONE Flagship store. All we have is four severely cramped mall stores. Really. Nicollet Mall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicollet_Mall) is yours for the taking! It has classic architechture, and up-scale retail and dinning, and is right down the road from the IDS. There is no better location for a Flagship store until you hit Chicago.

-Clive

I believe you're ranting to the wrong crowd... ;)

evilyankeefan
Dec 7, 2007, 01:37 PM
Yeah, those billboard signs are killer. Guess I'll have to make a trip to NYC sometime soon. Still have to visit the 5th Ave. store too.

Forgive me for being NYC skyline challenged, but would a full moon ever come into play in view with those billboards? That would be a wicked picture if it did.

Sabon
Dec 7, 2007, 01:40 PM
They need to make the Apple stores in/near Seattle bigger. Right now they are way too small.

Clive At Five
Dec 7, 2007, 01:45 PM
I believe you're ranting to the wrong crowd... ;)

Regarding Apple's boringly-designed computers, or that there should be a Flagship in Minneapolis?

If in regards to the staircase vs. Apple's design, it's a totally valid opinion and is shared among some of the Mac community. So there. :D

-Clive

Rojo
Dec 7, 2007, 01:52 PM
The staircase is indeed breathtakingly beautiful -- although looks rather daunting. I think I'll take the elevator to the third floor, and just walk down the stairs. :D

Di9it8
Dec 7, 2007, 01:52 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/12/07/west14stOpening_300.jpg

Is this Apple's first container store??:D

oogje
Dec 7, 2007, 01:55 PM
With the West 14th Street store, there are now 3 New York City stores, including the glass-cube 5th Avenue store and the original SoHo store.
Did Staten Island manage to secede from New York City?

wongulous
Dec 7, 2007, 01:58 PM
Am I the only one left wondering how this is disabled-friendly? Where's the elevator? I can't seem to find an area in any of the shots. At least at the cube it's right there, front and center... and Apple's Japan 3-story-stores make it part of the main event.

Pretty as they are, stairs are just kind of limiting and last-century. Then, everybody does fancy elevators, only Apple does fancy stairs...

jasonklee
Dec 7, 2007, 02:02 PM
have we become such a lazy species that we can't just walk 3 floors?

but, legally, they do need an elevator for the disabled.

pilotError
Dec 7, 2007, 02:04 PM
Forgive me for being NYC skyline challenged, but would a full moon ever come into play in view with those billboards? That would be a wicked picture if it did.

Possibly!

I thought Jersey took over Staten Island along with the Statue of Liberty... :rolleyes: :D :p

Doctor Q
Dec 7, 2007, 02:08 PM
I've been to a couple of store openings, and all I got as this lousy T-shirt.

Actually, I guard my opening-day T-shirts rather protectively.

offwidafairies
Dec 7, 2007, 02:11 PM
Man, stores in the US look so cool in comparison to what we have in Bumtown, Australia. You guys are so cool.

Cameront9
Dec 7, 2007, 02:19 PM
you people know you can order stuff online, right? you don't have to wait in line just to get INTO a store. i mean, if i wait in a line, there better be like a ride at the end of it.

You're new here, aren't you? You need some more kool-aid...

:)

Unspeaked
Dec 7, 2007, 02:27 PM
You're new here, aren't you? You need some more kool-aid...

I like him the way he is.

It's nice to have some members that don't hang on every Apple Store opening.

He makes a logical point, and it's a nice balance...!

Virgil-TB2
Dec 7, 2007, 02:34 PM
This will probably sound like hyperbole, but speaking as a Canadian from the West Coast I am getting kind of offended by all these Apple stores opening up in wild and wonderful places when we have zero of them up here.

Vancouver is the third largest metropolitan area in Canada (which is a gigantic english speaking country just to north of the US for those that don't seem to know). The culture is kind of like that of southern California (Apples home), but with a Canadian twist. Even though we have this huge population and a perfect matching environment and culture to Apple, the few stores that Apple has managed to open in Canada are almost exclusively in crappy little towns back east, with half our population and a tiny "tech community" to boot.

Apple just announced they are opening a store in Brazil and another in Mexico City, yet Vancouver is not a good place to do this? Even if they announced it tomorrow, it's a safe bet that we won't get one before 2009 at the earliest. This is just pathetic, and when you add the fact that the iTunes store doesn't work up here, the iPhone has no arrival date at all, and there is nothing to watch on Apple TV but movie trailers, it just boggles the mind.

Vancouver is also home to some of the most advanced software companies on the planet, high tech start-ups, large computer games outfits like Electronic Arts. Bleeding edge discoveries in physic and math, movie production facilities second only to Hollywood, thousands of Art Galleries, high fashion boutiques etc. In fact there is not a single high end retailer I've ever heard of that has a New York store and doesn't have an outlet here except Apple.

You can go to almost any coffee shop either downtown or on the "poor" side of town, and see a veritable sea of Mac laptops, whereas in Toronto (back east) it seems like they only heard about Apple computers last week sometimes. The whole situation is so absolutely Tospy-Turvy it leaves me speechless (well not quite, as you can see).

I know this is a bit of a rant, but it's gone beyond the "uncomfortable" stage and become a bit offensive to me.

This is Canada for cripes sake, not Outer-Mongolia!

It seems that US companies are always intent on pointing out how Canada is only slightly different from them, (a "variant" if you will of American culture), yet when the chips are down it always turns out to be "too much trouble" to alter their business practices even slightly to make it work up here.

Apple, please get off your collective lazy asses and do what's right for your millions of Canadian customers, instead of what seems easiest (to ignore us).

MikeTheC
Dec 7, 2007, 02:42 PM
Can someone up there do a symlink for me? I live in S.W. Florida, so it would be a looooooooooooong drive for me. But if I could just go to my local one instead and *poof* be up there with you folks, well... I'd do that in a heartbeat!

Rojo
Dec 7, 2007, 03:20 PM

Well...why I CAN go up stairs, and do so all the time, I AM partially disabled, and might not use them every instance.

And of course this store will have one. It's just probably more hidden, like the one in the SoHo store, which you don't see right away when walking in.

farmboy
Dec 7, 2007, 03:28 PM
So... Unapplelike; both the billboards and the building...

Having the billboards on top of the building allows Apple to avoid the standard signage issues/regulations/restrictions for retail spaces, AND allows them to advertise special events in a big way with very little cost (monthly billboard rent).

DoreanGrae
Dec 7, 2007, 03:36 PM
Am I the only one left wondering how this is disabled-friendly? Where's the elevator? I can't seem to find an area in any of the shots. At least at the cube it's right there, front and center... and Apple's Japan 3-story-stores make it part of the main event.

Pretty as they are, stairs are just kind of limiting and last-century. Then, everybody does fancy elevators, only Apple does fancy stairs...

The elevator runs right up the spiral in the middle middle of the staircase, just like in the 5th Avenue store. It's glass and round as well. Look closely.

Edit: This is wrong.

farmboy
Dec 7, 2007, 03:38 PM

-Clive

Down the road from the IDS? That building hasn't been a focal point for either business or retail since about 1989. Lots of vacant spaces--and the "Crystal Court" roof leaks everywhere. And you do know that parking/traffic downtown is fairly nasty, right? The mall stores may be smaller than a "flagship" but they are very successful and very profitable just the way they are.

DoreanGrae
Dec 7, 2007, 03:38 PM
Actually scratch that, the elevator isn't in the middle of the staircase 5th Ave-style. It's off to the side. You can see it on the right side of this picture:

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/14th_street/photo1/pages/h_stairbase.html

Iso79
Dec 7, 2007, 03:46 PM
I'm going check out the store tomorrow morning. I'm sure it will be a mad house tonight.

Unspeaked
Dec 7, 2007, 03:48 PM
This will probably sound like hyperbole, but speaking as a Canadian from the West Coast I am getting kind of offended by all these Apple stores opening up in wild and wonderful places when we have zero of them up here...

I'm not arguing with you, but I'm sure Apple has their reasons for not opening up a store in BC yet.

If they thought it would be worthwhile at this point, they would have made plans. For whatever undisclosed reason, they don't seem to think that.

Maybe Steve's got a personal vendetta against the Canucks or something?

Drumjim85
Dec 7, 2007, 04:08 PM
Having the billboards on top of the building allows Apple to avoid the standard signage issues/regulations/restrictions for retail spaces, AND allows them to advertise special events in a big way with very little cost (monthly billboard rent).

I don't know what you consider little, but billboard space, especially in New York, can't be cheap... (although apple does have $15 billion at their disposal)

dlastmango
Dec 7, 2007, 04:10 PM
Just saying "Hi!" to all those standing IN-LINE and ON-LINE waiting for the opening. Its Sunny and 75 down here in FL... wish I was up there with you guys!

Chris
Stuck in FL :(

Clive At Five
Dec 7, 2007, 04:21 PM
Down the road from the IDS? That building hasn't been a focal point for either business or retail since about 1989. Lots of vacant spaces--and the "Crystal Court" roof leaks everywhere. And you do know that parking/traffic downtown is fairly nasty, right? The mall stores may be smaller than a "flagship" but they are very successful and very profitable just the way they are.

I don't work in Mpls, so I wouldn't know.

:p

-Clive

chicagostars
Dec 7, 2007, 04:24 PM
Every site seems to be saying this is the first Apple store with a third story. While this is technically true, the store in Ginza (Japan) has four floors (including a third.)

The North Michigan Av store in Chicago also has four floors (three with public access): two for sales/support, one for classes, and another restricted floor with access to building operations stuff. Doesn't really matter much in the big scheme of things, just more Cliff Clavin trivia for everyone here.

ShiggyMiyamoto
Dec 7, 2007, 04:28 PM
***** damnit!!!!! I called into work and they gave me off! I should have called in earlier and I would have been able to attend this opening! Oh well. I'll try and check it out Sunday when I have another day off...

baseballman1243
Dec 7, 2007, 04:29 PM
This is only 3 blocks from my school.

jayducharme
Dec 7, 2007, 05:30 PM
The staircase is indeed breathtakingly beautiful -- although looks rather daunting.

I wonder how daunting it becomes when there's a downpour outside and people with wet shoes attempt to walk up those stairs....

The staircase is visually impressive. I'm just always nervous when glass is used as structural support. But heck -- it must have passed those tough New York building inspectors. :)

snberk103
Dec 7, 2007, 05:51 PM
This will probably sound like hyperbole, but speaking as a Canadian from the West Coast I am getting kind of offended by all these Apple stores opening up in wild and wonderful places when we have zero of them up here.

Vancouver is the third largest metropolitan area in Canada (which is a gigantic english speaking country just to north of the US for those that don't seem to know)

They are recruiting for staff for an Apple Store in Pacific Centre Mall. I don't know what kind of date, though. I followed a link from MR that connected to a thread that took me to the Apple Store staffing site. I will try to recreate the my path and post the link, but I am confident that they are recruiting. Whether they actually open is anybody's guess.

seedster2
Dec 7, 2007, 05:55 PM
I'm in the minority on this site, but I find this interior rather dull.

The endless open space is purposeful due to the traffic apple stores generate but this place just screams drab and boring. Other than stairwells Apple should look into differentiating their stores a bit more.

snberk103
Dec 7, 2007, 06:02 PM
The page URL doesn't work, so.....

Go to the main Apple page
At the bottom is "job opportunities" - click on it
Then the "Apple Store" selection
Then, on the right hand side pick your 'international' location
Then, the position (I used Store Manager)
Then "Find Location"
Now it gets tricky ;) - It asks what 'State' you want look at, which is wrong since Canada has provinces. However - if you pick the 'State' of British Columbia you get the Pacific Centre Mall listing.

kunaalarria
Dec 7, 2007, 06:09 PM
I don't know what you consider little, but billboard space, especially in New York, can't be cheap... (although apple does have $15 billion at their disposal)

Maybe the landlord of that building owns that billboard so its included in the rent...you never know

TurboSC
Dec 7, 2007, 06:32 PM
impressive looking store. Very well coordinated with the billboards.

If anyone of you get a free laptop let us know! :D

alec
Dec 7, 2007, 06:50 PM
did anyone win anything???

Drumjim85
Dec 7, 2007, 06:52 PM
Maybe the landlord of that building owns that billboard so its included in the rent...you never know

if you could see it up close you might be able to tell. Most billboards are owned by big companies like clear channel, CBS, and Lamar.
And they say who owns them on a little sign on the bottom of the board.

synth3tik
Dec 7, 2007, 06:56 PM
I will reiterate. Not that Apple will do it, but to help New Yorkers feel lucky.

Where the f*$& is the Minneapolis Flag ship store??????

AnthonyCM
Dec 7, 2007, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I'm towards the back of the line and it's chilly out here. Can someone confirm the giveaways so I can figure out if I want to wait another hour or so before getting in?

synth3tik
Dec 7, 2007, 07:04 PM
I am curious about the glass stairs. My first thought was a New York winter and someone slip on the glass and smash their face.

The snow you know....

thechidz
Dec 7, 2007, 07:11 PM
I couldve been there! but Im in Jersey for a show:mad: I was just down on 14th street picking up my duet at guitar center today too...:rolleyes:

f1
Dec 7, 2007, 07:15 PM
Vancouver has been officially announced. If you don't believe me go to Apple's website and apply for a job there.

krye
Dec 7, 2007, 07:38 PM
It's like a Stairway to Heaven!

FX120
Dec 7, 2007, 08:25 PM
I actually hate my local Apple stores. I don't know why Apple needs such huge stores when they have a small selection of products. I've never seen more than two iMacs actually be used out of a row of like 14...

And they staff the place with brainless *******s and yet call them geniuses..

queshy
Dec 7, 2007, 08:28 PM
Wow, a 46 ft genius bar...I guess they've increased the size of it to help compensate for their declining QC :eek:

Hydramus
Dec 7, 2007, 09:22 PM
I wonder how daunting it becomes when there's a downpour outside and people with wet shoes attempt to walk up those stairs....

The staircase is visually impressive. I'm just always nervous when glass is used as structural support. But heck -- it must have passed those tough New York building inspectors. :)

When I was in the 5th Avenue store while it was pouring down with rain, they laid down black mats onto the glass steps so it wasn't slippery at all. I'm assuming they would do that here too.

Brandonnn
Dec 7, 2007, 09:27 PM
I'm not arguing with you, but I'm sure Apple has their reasons for not opening up a store in BC yet.

If they thought it would be worthwhile at this point, they would have made plans. For whatever undisclosed reason, they don't seem to think that.

Maybe Steve's got a personal vendetta against the Canucks or something?

Well let's hope not:eek: a personal Steve vs vancouver . I am from vancity too and I share the frustration of Virgil-TB2, lack of decent apple store..they did announce a new apple store to be moving in the Pacific Center Mall in vancouver...but not till 2009!?? I guess it has to do with lease requirements , who knows. I hope it 's taking time to build because it's going to be a Flagship...we can wish over here.:)

drumfrog14
Dec 7, 2007, 09:53 PM
... so I showed up around 5:30pm. Waited in line until around 9:30. Get into the store and guess who shows up?

Stephen Colbert. It was awesome. He was there with his two children, just checking out computers, iPods, etc. Seemed like a really nice guy. He was taking pictures and talking with anyone who walked up to say hello.

DaBrain
Dec 7, 2007, 10:03 PM

Wow! That's pretty harsh! Ya know there are people that can't walk! Even though you and I may be lucky to walk, many others can not!

You should be ashamed of yourself! :(

synth3tik
Dec 7, 2007, 10:05 PM
Wow, a 46 ft genius bar...I guess they've increased the size of it to help compensate for their declining QC :eek:

:eek:true that:)

I guess some people could twist this around and say "why do you need a 46ft genius bar, are Macs that bad"

I would really like to have a bigger genius bar at my local Apple store. I have only had to go there twice, but the wait was always over 45 minutes.

mets1125
Dec 7, 2007, 10:17 PM
I passed by at around 9:00 and the line was snaking. I asked 1 person who came out of the store and he told me he was on line for 2 hours. I just turned around and left :mad:

Ha ze
Dec 7, 2007, 10:20 PM

-Clive

we have a flagship here on Michigan ave. With rumors of two more (one on state street and one at north and clybourn)

esquire360
Dec 7, 2007, 10:36 PM
I'm put out... come on steve J

www.askacapper.com

AnthonyCM
Dec 7, 2007, 10:39 PM
I just left the store, where I received the 2nd to last gift. I just got a $10 iTunes card, but someone was claiming his iMac as I was leaving.

corywoolf
Dec 7, 2007, 10:48 PM
My dad heard about this opening on the radio today. He decided to stop in and see what the big deal was. He isn't a very technical guy and he just wanted to get me a t-shirt. They handed him a poster rolled up. Then some Apple employee was like "open it up and see if you're a winner" and he didn't really care to. So the employee unrolled it for him and there was a note saying he won a 16GB iPod Touch. He didn't know what it was. I told him how much it was worth once he called me later tonight. He isn't sure what to do with it, he just got a 4 GB nano and only has one CD on it so far (doesn't care to put more music on it). I don't want to ask him for it, he sounds like he wants to give it to my brother as a christmas gift. My brother is happy with his Shuffle though.

KiraDouji
Dec 7, 2007, 11:14 PM
I guess some people could twist this around and say "why do you need a 46ft genius bar, are Macs that bad"

It's a layer 8 problem ;P

- Kira

Yankees 4 Life
Dec 7, 2007, 11:21 PM
my uncle won an imac today... I'm so jealous. He got there at 7pm

queshy
Dec 7, 2007, 11:58 PM

LMAO! Nice post.

DMann
Dec 8, 2007, 12:05 AM

I would really like to have a bigger genius bar at my local Apple store. I have only had to go there twice, but the wait was always over 45 minutes.

It's not that Macs are that bad, its that the basic intelligence of customers has been declining......

HLdan
Dec 8, 2007, 01:19 AM
Making the trip from Canada.
Should leave at 10 30 and arrive at 5 00.
Don't know what to expect...

Really? Just for a store opening? I can see coming from outside the U.S for the annual Macworld show because several people do that but for just a store opening? I hope for your sake you win a MBP.:D

HLdan
Dec 8, 2007, 01:30 AM

Vancouver is the third largest metropolitan area in Canada (which is a gigantic english speaking country just to north of the US for those that don't seem to know). The culture is kind of like that of southern California (Apples home), but with a Canadian twist. Even though we have this huge population and a perfect matching environment and culture to Apple, the few stores that Apple has managed to open in Canada are almost exclusively in crappy little towns back east, with half our population and a tiny "tech community" to boot.

Apple just announced they are opening a store in Brazil and another in Mexico City, yet Vancouver is not a good place to do this? Even if they announced it tomorrow, it's a safe bet that we won't get one before 2009 at the earliest. This is just pathetic, and when you add the fact that the iTunes store doesn't work up here, the iPhone has no arrival date at all, and there is nothing to watch on Apple TV but movie trailers, it just boggles the mind.

Vancouver is also home to some of the most advanced software companies on the planet, high tech start-ups, large computer games outfits like Electronic Arts. Bleeding edge discoveries in physic and math, movie production facilities second only to Hollywood, thousands of Art Galleries, high fashion boutiques etc. In fact there is not a single high end retailer I've ever heard of that has a New York store and doesn't have an outlet here except Apple.

You can go to almost any coffee shop either downtown or on the "poor" side of town, and see a veritable sea of Mac laptops, whereas in Toronto (back east) it seems like they only heard about Apple computers last week sometimes. The whole situation is so absolutely Tospy-Turvy it leaves me speechless (well not quite, as you can see).

I know this is a bit of a rant, but it's gone beyond the "uncomfortable" stage and become a bit offensive to me.

It seems that US companies are always intent on pointing out how Canada is only slightly different from them, (a "variant" if you will of American culture), yet when the chips are down it always turns out to be "too much trouble" to alter their business practices even slightly to make it work up here.

Apple, please get off your collective lazy asses and do what's right for your millions of Canadian customers, instead of what seems easiest (to ignore us).

Now I know what Mac Rumors is for.......complaining.:rolleyes:

baslotto
Dec 8, 2007, 01:32 AM
I can't wait to see the store!
Please anybody who won anything or who knows somebody who won let us know!!

Bas

baslotto
Dec 8, 2007, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonklee

Wow! That's pretty harsh! Ya know there are people that can't walk! Even though you and I may be lucky to walk, many others can not!

You should be ashamed of yourself! :(

Why? The comment was pretty straight forward. I completely second it.
I also agree that in every public establishment there should be by law an elevator that allows disabled people to visit the store on every floor.

Who complains about 3 floors of stairs being able to walk fine is super lazy, but comforts are making many people getting used to taking an elevator for 1 floor, that's kinda sad. (Just for the amount of energy we waste every day...)

Next time read better the post before attacking someone who's being polite.

Peace.

wongulous
Dec 8, 2007, 02:02 AM
Gees.. people are so offensive and easily-offended. Hot buttons: stairs vs. elevators, US vs. Canada... ;)

Anyway, the store looks gorgeous. Are there any shots of the opening? Post your pics here. I want to see! Also, anyone else win any prizes?

Wish I could've been there.

thechidz
Dec 8, 2007, 02:21 AM
Arrrrrrrgh~!!!!!!! I wish I woulda went!!!!:mad::confused::(:o:confused::mad:

p0intblank
Dec 8, 2007, 02:59 AM
Oh man, I wish I could've gone tonight! The photos up on ifoapplestore.com are beautiful. I'll be in NYC in a couple weeks and I definitely plan on capturing plenty of video and photos that day! :D

OLD ELPASO
Dec 8, 2007, 03:02 AM
Man, stores in the US look so cool in comparison to what we have in Bumtown, Australia. You guys are so cool.

Bumtown... I wouldn't build a nice Apple store there either.

jkjk.

DoreanGrae
Dec 8, 2007, 08:55 AM
... so I showed up around 5:30pm. Waited in line until around 9:30. Get into the store and guess who shows up?

Stephen Colbert. It was awesome. He was there with his two children, just checking out computers, iPods, etc. Seemed like a really nice guy. He was taking pictures and talking with anyone who walked up to say hello.

You must've been right near me in line. I got there right around the same time. Snapped a few pictures of Colbert. Did you see (or were you) the kid who asked if he could take a picture and then pulled out his iPhone? Colbert pulled out his iPhone to take a picture of the kid, too. It was hilarious. The kid was so confused.

MattyMac
Dec 8, 2007, 09:05 AM
I'm upset that I didn't get to go to this. I was on my way home from work in nyc and I read about it on MacRumors on my iPhone. I wish I would have know ahead of time...

The Fifth Avenue opening was awesome and this seems like it was just as cool.

MLeepson
Dec 8, 2007, 09:14 AM
I got there at about 6:15 and I waited on the most outside line for about a half an hour. Then someone broke through the barrier and I got pushed through.Then I waited for about another hour or so and I got in. I got a a shirt, post and 10 dollar iTunes gift card. The store is very nice. I'm happy I waited. Most people in the line thought they they were handing out free iPods and stuff.

It was a fun experience.

DoreanGrae
Dec 8, 2007, 09:17 AM
I got there at about 6:15 and I waited on the most outside line for about a half an hour. Then someone broke through the barrier and I got pushed through.Then I waited for about another hour or so and I got in. I got a a shirt, post and 10 dollar gift card. The store is very nice. I'm happy I waited. Most people in the line thought they they were handing out free iPods and stuff.

It was a fun experience.

That was you?!

:mad:

heh heh

MLeepson
Dec 8, 2007, 09:21 AM
I was in the middle of the line and then I heard a load roar of people and the i just got pushed. That part wasn't fun.

I liked the heat lamps.

drumfrog14
Dec 8, 2007, 09:36 AM
You must've been right near me in line. I got there right around the same time. Snapped a few pictures of Colbert. Did you see (or were you) the kid who asked if he could take a picture and then pulled out his iPhone? Colbert pulled out his iPhone to take a picture of the kid, too. It was hilarious. The kid was so confused.

Haha, no... that was not me. I was too embarrassed to actually go up to him, but I was snapping so many pictures with my iPhone that I'm sure he noticed me. :rolleyes:

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v161/116/47/1601490/n1601490_33712281_1554.jpg

MLeepson
Dec 8, 2007, 09:41 AM
Colbert was there?! What time?

MLeepson
Dec 8, 2007, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonklee

Why? The comment was pretty straight forward. I completely second it.
I also agree that in every public establishment there should be by law an elevator that allows disabled people to visit the store on every floor.

Who complains about 3 floors of stairs being able to walk fine is super lazy, but comforts are making many people getting used to taking an elevator for 1 floor, that's kinda sad. (Just for the amount of energy we waste every day...)

Next time read better the post before attacking someone who's being polite.

Peace.
There is an elevator. It's in the back.

DoreanGrae
Dec 8, 2007, 10:16 AM
I was in the middle of the line and then I heard a load roar of people and the i just got pushed. That part wasn't fun.

I liked the heat lamps.

Did you see the guy in the Santa hat who got pissed when that happened?

I was right behind him.

DoreanGrae
Dec 8, 2007, 10:16 AM
Colbert was there?! What time?

Around 9:30 or 10. I saw him on the third floor (his kids were playing on the iMacs) and then again on the second floor. He looks a whole lot older in-person. No makeup, I guess.

MLeepson
Dec 8, 2007, 10:40 AM
Did you see the guy in the Santa hat who got pissed when that happened?

I was right behind him.
Ah hah. I was the guy with long hair and the red backpack.

Around 9:30 or 10. I saw him on the third floor (his kids were playing on the iMacs) and then again on the second floor. He looks a whole lot older in-person. No makeup, I guess.

Cool, that's to bad, I left at about 9. Oh well. It was still cool.

levitynyc
Dec 8, 2007, 12:11 PM

Let's hope so.

johnpaul191
Dec 8, 2007, 12:31 PM
if you could see it up close you might be able to tell. Most billboards are owned by big companies like clear channel, CBS, and Lamar.
And they say who owns them on a little sign on the bottom of the board.

i kind of remember there being a zoning issue with Apple putting a sign on the actual building (historic reasons i think?). notice that there is no major Apple signage on the building itself, not even a huge Apple logo inside windows. iirc the workaround was using the existing billboard structure.

it is kind of odd to not have signs like the other stores, but i guess when walking at street level it will be obvious. it is NYC, so most people will be on foot, bike or relatively close up in a car. they don't use the same signs that a strip mall in the burbs would have.

is this store open 24/7?
edit: not 24/7 Mon-Sat 09:00 - 24:00 and Sun 09:00 - 19:00

johnpaul191
Dec 8, 2007, 12:35 PM
the pix on apple.com are pretty good too
http://www.apple.com/retail/west14thstreet/
you can see relatively small black squares with white Apple logos for foot traffic in those pix. they are hanging near the corner at the top of the first floor.

MLeepson
Dec 8, 2007, 12:58 PM
the pix on apple.com are pretty good too
http://www.apple.com/retail/west14thstreet/
you can see relatively small black squares with white Apple logos for foot traffic in those pix. they are hanging near the corner at the top of the first floor.

They have those signs at the SoHo store, too. I was talking with my mom, and we both agreed they probably couldn't put up a big glowing Apple logo because zoning issues because it's a historic district.

Rojo
Dec 8, 2007, 02:45 PM
So here's my story of going to the opening:

I got there around 5:45, and was trying to find the end of the line -- it went all the way around the block and down 15th St. I eventually bumped into some friends and hung out with them. I couldn't see how much further the line went after that, but it seemed to go on forever. I felt kind of bad for cutting, but the guy behind us saw me walking with crutches and didn't seem to mind -- he said the whole prize thing was random anyway, and it didn't really matter what position you were in.

I had no idea how long the whole thing was going to take, but I was thinking an hour AT MOST. Well... cut to over three hours later, and we're still in line. The wait was so ridiculously long, and the weather so unbelievably cold (stupid me wasn't dressed well enough), that I thought I wasn't going to make it. My legs were aching, and I couldn't feel my feet. My whole body was becoming numb, and I thought I was going to pass out. I was surprised by the amount of media and looky-loos, and the celebs that came (saw Whoopi Goldberg come out at one point, and later Stephen Colbert inside -- plus other people I recognized as celebs, but couldn't name them if I tried). The worst part about the line was I hadn't seen the front of it, where it went past the store again and all the way down 14th, only to snake and twist back up again. I had thought we were so close once we got near the entrance, when someone walking out said we had at least another hour and a half waiting ahead of us (it was more). Of course by that point, you figure "I've been waiting this long already, might as well stay the course." But the longer you stand in the bitter cold, the more and more stupid you feel -- especially when the majority of people are walking out saying all they got was a dumb iPhone poster. Still, I kept hoping that maybe I'd be one of the lucky ones. I really, really needed a new MacBook, but I would have been happy for anything at that point.

I overheard a lot of people on line, who said they weren't even Apple fans. A lot of people were there to see Mary J. Blige perform. Many people said they'd probably never come back to the store again. I kept wondering why they came, and was cursing them for making the line so damn long. At around 9:15, we finally made it inside. There was so much chaos, with people all over the place, and grinning Apple employees cheering people in (god, they must have been so sick of it by that point), and handing us poster tubes and telling us to open the lid to see if we won anything, as it would be mentioned under the lid with a sticker. My two friends opened theirs, and got what I think most people got -- a $10 iTunes gift card. But I was having trouble holding mine and walking (I have crutches), so I was trying to find a spot away from all the people. I finally found a free spot, and struggled to open my lid. Suddenly I hear a pop, and watch as my lid goes flying a few feet away from me. I'm trying to watch where it's going, and all I can see are dozens of feet walking back and forth in front of me. I'm frantically trying to find the lid, and... it's gone. I see a few other lids on the floor, but when I pick them up, they're blank and stickerless. An employee asks if I need help, and I tell him what happened. He helps and looks around, but we never find the lid. I ask him if I can get another tube, and he says he can't do that, but can walk me over to where they're giving iTunes cards and make sure I get one. I say thank you with regret, and then go get my card.

I know the odds are my sticker probably WAS just an iTunes card, but I'll never really know for sure, and that's going to haunt me for some time to come. What annoys me is that someone else obviously saw my lid and stole it from the ground immediately, and walked away with at least yet another gift card, or possibly something more.

My friends wanted to leave almost immediately, but I wanted to see the store -- I figured we waited long enough. But soon I realized how hungry I was, and I needed to go to the bathroom (I was told they didn't have bathrooms there -- at least not yet). So I left, and gave my poster away to someone outside. The line was still as big as ever, wrapping around the block, and I knew some of those poor people wouldn't get in until probably midnight.

All for just an iPhone poster...

MattyMac
Dec 8, 2007, 04:18 PM
I want an iPhone poster! Anyone have an extra that they kept and wouldn't mind getting rid of? I work in NYC and didn't realize the opening was that day until I was on the train home!

galton1.3
Dec 8, 2007, 06:18 PM
I want an iPhone poster! Anyone have an extra that they kept and wouldn't mind getting rid of? I work in NYC and didn't realize the opening was that day until I was on the train home!

I'd be happy to give you my poster.

I had a similar experience as an above poster; was there at 5:30 and didn't get in until about 9:30, almost died of hypothermia in the meantime. Saw Colbert, which was awesome.

I got an iTunes gift card. My cousin, who I went to the store with, went in right before me and got a 16GB iPod Touch. Sigh.

ShiggyMiyamoto
Dec 8, 2007, 07:26 PM
Does anyone know the list of things that were possible to win? People have mentioned $10 iTunes Cards, iMacs, iTouches, etc. What were the other prizes?

sam10685
Dec 8, 2007, 08:07 PM
Why doesn't portland oregon or anywhere close to portland oregon get an Apple flagship store? It's really annoying me. New York gets 3; some California cities probably have several; we get 0. What gives? We're a big city. This is discrimination.

mavrick422
Dec 8, 2007, 08:49 PM
Hey guys,

I got there to the store at 6 and waited in line for 3 1/2 hours, and by then, they had run out of shirts. I LOVE the design of the shirts, and would REALLY like to have one. Would anyone (in NYC) like to sell me theirs? I'm willing to pay a good amount for it. Let me know (PM me). Thanks a lot.

Cheers.

TurboSC
Dec 8, 2007, 08:52 PM
So here's my story of going to the opening:

I got there around 5:45, and was trying to find the end of the line -- it went all the way around the block and down 15th St. I eventually bumped into some friends and hung out with them. I couldn't see how much further the line went after that, but it seemed to go on forever. I felt kind of bad for cutting, but the guy behind us saw me walking with crutches and didn't seem to mind -- he said the whole prize thing was random anyway, and it didn't really matter what position you were in.

I had no idea how long the whole thing was going to take, but I was thinking an hour AT MOST. Well... cut to over three hours later, and we're still in line. The wait was so ridiculously long, and the weather so unbelievably cold (stupid me wasn't dressed well enough), that I thought I wasn't going to make it. My legs were aching, and I couldn't feel my feet. My whole body was becoming numb, and I thought I was going to pass out. I was surprised by the amount of media and looky-loos, and the celebs that came (saw Whoopi Goldberg come out at one point, and later Stephen Colbert inside -- plus other people I recognized as celebs, but couldn't name them if I tried). The worst part about the line was I hadn't seen the front of it, where it went past the store again and all the way down 14th, only to snake and twist back up again. I had thought we were so close once we got near the entrance, when someone walking out said we had at least another hour and a half waiting ahead of us (it was more). Of course by that point, you figure "I've been waiting this long already, might as well stay the course." But the longer you stand in the bitter cold, the more and more stupid you feel -- especially when the majority of people are walking out saying all they got was a dumb iPhone poster. Still, I kept hoping that maybe I'd be one of the lucky ones. I really, really needed a new MacBook, but I would have been happy for anything at that point.

I overheard a lot of people on line, who said they weren't even Apple fans. A lot of people were there to see Mary J. Blige perform. Many people said they'd probably never come back to the store again. I kept wondering why they came, and was cursing them for making the line so damn long. At around 9:15, we finally made it inside. There was so much chaos, with people all over the place, and grinning Apple employees cheering people in (god, they must have been so sick of it by that point), and handing us poster tubes and telling us to open the lid to see if we won anything, as it would be mentioned under the lid with a sticker. My two friends opened theirs, and got what I think most people got -- a $10 iTunes gift card. But I was having trouble holding mine and walking (I have crutches), so I was trying to find a spot away from all the people. I finally found a free spot, and struggled to open my lid. Suddenly I hear a pop, and watch as my lid goes flying a few feet away from me. I'm trying to watch where it's going, and all I can see are dozens of feet walking back and forth in front of me. I'm frantically trying to find the lid, and... it's gone. I see a few other lids on the floor, but when I pick them up, they're blank and stickerless. An employee asks if I need help, and I tell him what happened. He helps and looks around, but we never find the lid. I ask him if I can get another tube, and he says he can't do that, but can walk me over to where they're giving iTunes cards and make sure I get one. I say thank you with regret, and then go get my card.

I know the odds are my sticker probably WAS just an iTunes card, but I'll never really know for sure, and that's going to haunt me for some time to come. What annoys me is that someone else obviously saw my lid and stole it from the ground immediately, and walked away with at least yet another gift card, or possibly something more.

My friends wanted to leave almost immediately, but I wanted to see the store -- I figured we waited long enough. But soon I realized how hungry I was, and I needed to go to the bathroom (I was told they didn't have bathrooms there -- at least not yet). So I left, and gave my poster away to someone outside. The line was still as big as ever, wrapping around the block, and I knew some of those poor people wouldn't get in until probably midnight.

All for just an iPhone poster...

Hahah sounds like quite the experience :)

I'm sure if you weren't on crutches it would have been a little more enjoyable.. but hey, at least you got an iPhone poster and an iTunes Gift Card... I'm jealous :(

Does anyone wanna Donate their iPhone poster to me :D :p

bluecluee
Dec 8, 2007, 08:52 PM
If anyone doesn't have a use for their iPhone poster let me know. I will paypal you shipping costs. Thanks a ton. Just PM Me

celavato
Dec 8, 2007, 11:44 PM
Very dangerous store. I walked into one of the plate glass windows. I was so annoyed I left and never entered the store. Apple, will you please stick some logos on those ground to cieling windows! Ouch. :(

TurboSC
Dec 9, 2007, 12:04 AM
Very dangerous store. I walked into one of the plate glass windows. I was so annoyed I left and never entered the store. Apple, will you please stick some logos on those ground to cieling windows! Ouch. :(

lol I could picture you walking around trying to be suave and smacking into a glass wall and quickly exiting the store.

MattyMac
Dec 9, 2007, 12:20 AM
I'd be happy to give you my poster.

I had a similar experience as an above poster; was there at 5:30 and didn't get in until about 9:30, almost died of hypothermia in the meantime. Saw Colbert, which was awesome.

I got an iTunes gift card. My cousin, who I went to the store with, went in right before me and got a 16GB iPod Touch. Sigh.
I PM'd you about the poster!

Hahah sounds like quite the experience :)

I'm sure if you weren't on crutches it would have been a little more enjoyable.. but hey, at least you got an iPhone poster and an iTunes Gift Card... I'm jealous :(

Does anyone wanna Donate their iPhone poster to me :D :p
If anyone doesn't have a use for their iPhone poster let me know. I will paypal you shipping costs. Thanks a ton. Just PM Me

Hey..I was first:rolleyes::)

ShiggyMiyamoto
Dec 9, 2007, 01:40 AM
For those who couldn't make it to the opening last night, my website, The iLife (http://theilife.com/) (dot com) has the video, pictures and written text pertaining to last nights opening event.

Hope you enjoy, and feel free to contact me for anything else you might need (higher quality, etc).

I tried loading up and playing the video on this ******* Dell, and of course it wouldn't play properly. I then tried it on my iPhone, and it shows me a broken QuickTime icon where the video should be. Could you please correct that? My iPhone plays most anything properly, given its built in QT Plugin can interpret it.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Great blog post btw. "iPod Store." lol. What idiots and losers.

Avicdar
Dec 9, 2007, 02:23 AM

What you don't know about Toronto is a lot.

21stcenturykid
Dec 9, 2007, 07:46 AM
Stop building stores in New York and build one in Newcastle UK please Apple :)

pilotError
Dec 9, 2007, 08:13 AM
For those who couldn't make it to the opening last night, my website, The iLife (http://theilife.com/) (dot com) has the video, pictures and written text pertaining to last nights opening event.

Hope you enjoy, and feel free to contact me for anything else you might need (higher quality, etc).

Hey, Nice video!

I left work about 3:45 and really debated whether to head up there for the opening. I would have liked to have gone, but crowds aren't my thing.

The place looks really nice!

epicwelshman
Dec 9, 2007, 08:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

I think Apple needs less flagship stores and more smaller shops around the world.

weg
Dec 9, 2007, 11:04 AM
the store in Ginza (Japan) has four floors (including a third.)

Considering how few different products Apple has, I'm wondering what they need floors for? Is it one floor of Notebooks, one floor of desktop computers, one floor of iPods and... hmm.. a whole floor for displays?

mdodd
Dec 9, 2007, 12:33 PM
I tried loading up and playing the video on this ******* Dell, and of course it wouldn't play properly. I then tried it on my iPhone, and it shows me a broken QuickTime icon where the video should be. Could you please correct that? My iPhone plays most anything properly, given its built in QT Plugin can interpret it.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Great blog post btw. "iPod Store." lol. What idiots and losers.

Hmm..thats really strange. I just pulled it up fine on a number of computers, and my friends iPhone. Whatever, here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM9YxV58-MU) is the YouTube version of it. Sorry about the issues.

mdodd
Dec 9, 2007, 12:35 PM
Hey, Nice video!

I left work about 3:45 and really debated whether to head up there for the opening. I would have liked to have gone, but crowds aren't my thing.

The place looks really nice!

Thanks! I assume you checked out the pictures and read about the experience?

ShiggyMiyamoto
Dec 9, 2007, 01:10 PM
Hmm..thats really strange. I just pulled it up fine on a number of computers, and my friends iPhone. Whatever, here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM9YxV58-MU) is the YouTube version of it. Sorry about the issues.

I finally got it to load on my iPhone, but it seems my WiFi in it is being odd... I was getting 1 bar when the damn router is across the hall.... one with two antennae too... Hmm....

Here's an interesting tidbit: a family friend calls and says that it was so crowded that not everyone could get in, and that the first 2,000 people got a free iPhone. Is that true? That's really unlike Apple to give away 2,000 of something that costs $399 a piece.... He's known to tell a wise tale, so I'm taking that story with a grain of salt.

Anyone else hear of this?

bluecluee
Dec 9, 2007, 01:34 PM
If anyone wants to part with their poster I will paypal you $40.00 for it. Just pm me. Thank You!

mdodd
Dec 9, 2007, 01:39 PM
I finally got it to load on my iPhone, but it seems my WiFi in it is being odd... I was getting 1 bar when the damn router is across the hall.... one with two antennae too... Hmm....

Here's an interesting tidbit: a family friend calls and says that it was so crowded that not everyone could get in, and that the first 2,000 people got a free iPhone. Is that true? That's really unlike Apple to give away 2,000 of something that costs $399 a piece.... He's known to tell a wise tale, so I'm taking that story with a grain of salt.

Anyone else hear of this?

They were giving away T-Shirts and Posters (which were rolled up in a cardboard tube). Underneath the cap to the carboard tube was a sticker which indicated what you won. Everyone got a free $10 iTunes Gift Card, but the other prizes were iPod Shuffles, iPod Touches (16GB) and iMacs.
No iPhones, especially not 2,000! Sorry to break your hearts.

demiurgical
Dec 9, 2007, 02:07 PM
Damn it was freakin' cold Friday night. After almost freezing my toes off queuing up within a crowd consisting mainly of people who want something free right off the shelves instead of actual Apple fans; people putting their hands up inches from the propane heaters (I'm still surprised no one’s gloves caught on fire), I made it into the store at about 8:15PM.

The loud cheering and clapping reminiscent of my experience purchasing the iPhone on the very first day at the SoHo Apple Store. Quickly got handed a t-shirt and a poster. Trying very hard to pop the top off the poster tube, but I couldn't get that darn thing off!! Some Apple store employee to my right was yelling to me "you got it? you got it?," I'm like NO I can't get it off! So he reached over and took the top off for me and then said with a big smile "Congrats you got an iPod Touch! Go on up to the 3rd floor." I said thanks and smiled (I would had reacted with more enthusiasm if I wasn't half frozen).

Up the shiny glass spiral staircase I go (going to see the wizard, la lalalalala…). Anyways on the 3rd floor I see a small crowd towards the back table. I handed an Apple store employee my poster tube top and he said "wow, congrats! :D" Then he handed me a form to fill out (name, address, blah blah), while trying to fill it all in with my frozen hand. The guy looked at me funny, I'm like "My hands are frozen", he replied "yeah, a lot people said that." Then he handed me not an 8GB iPod Touch, but a 16GB iPod Touch!!! Wooohooo!!! Thanks Apple :D

Honestly I didn't know they were giving away free things (hardware) like that when I went, I just figured maybe I would get a t-shirt/poster, a small token of a grand opening, and maybe take some pictures. If only I had stayed longer cause apparently Steven Colbert showed up, but oh well. All in all it was a nice experience :)

Here's a very short clip I got with my camera right when they opened up the store at 6PM. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN6v3XZP8ss

And here's some pics I took. http://www.flickr.com/photos/13850333@N04/sets/72157603413213906/

~. :apple:

MattyMac
Dec 9, 2007, 05:30 PM
That is awesome! Congrats on your win. I wish I would have went!

Damn it was freakin' cold Friday night. After almost freezing my toes off queuing up within a crowd consisting mainly of people who want something free right off the shelves instead of actual Apple fans; people putting their hands up inches from the propane heaters (I'm still surprised no one’s gloves caught on fire), I made it into the store at about 8:15PM.

The loud cheering and clapping reminiscent of my experience purchasing the iPhone on the very first day at the SoHo Apple Store. Quickly got handed a t-shirt and a poster. Trying very hard to pop the top off the poster tube, but I couldn't get that darn thing off!! Some Apple store employee to my right was yelling to me "you got it? you got it?," I'm like NO I can't get it off! So he reached over and took the top off for me and then said with a big smile "Congrats you got an iPod Touch! Go on up to the 3rd floor." I said thanks and smiled (I would had reacted with more enthusiasm if I wasn't half frozen).

Up the shiny glass spiral staircase I go (going to see the wizard, la lalalalala…). Anyways on the 3rd floor I see a small crowd towards the back table. I handed an Apple store employee my poster tube top and he said "wow, congrats! :D" Then he handed me a form to fill out (name, address, blah blah), while trying to fill it all in with my frozen hand. The guy looked at me funny, I'm like "My hands are frozen", he replied "yeah, a lot people said that." Then he handed me not an 8GB iPod Touch, but a 16GB iPod Touch!!! Wooohooo!!! Thanks Apple :D

Honestly I didn't know they were giving away free things (hardware) like that when I went, I just figured maybe I would get a t-shirt/poster, a small token of a grand opening, and maybe take some pictures. If only I had stayed longer cause apparently Steven Colbert showed up, but oh well. All in all it was a nice experience :)

Here's a very short clip I got with my camera right when they opened up the store at 6PM. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN6v3XZP8ss

And here's some pics I took. http://www.flickr.com/photos/13850333@N04/sets/72157603413213906/

~. :apple:

celavato
Dec 9, 2007, 08:26 PM
lol I could picture you walking around trying to be suave and smacking into a glass wall and quickly exiting the store.

Actually, it's worse. I never got into the store. That's what I was trying to do. Funnily enough, Fake Steve Ballmer has a post about the safety concerns of the new store. But he got it wrong -- it's the ground floor windows that are dangerous.
http://fakesteveballmer.blogspot.com/2007/12/now-this-has-got-to-be-dangerous.html

Steven Ballmer
Dec 9, 2007, 09:13 PM
http://bp2.blogger.com/_79FsAV-Z2NE/R1of_CWm2kI/AAAAAAAAAZM/RGYPE6D9kV8/s1600-h/h_stairfrom14th.jpg
Be sure to stay out of the decapitation zone!

Viper2005
Dec 10, 2007, 01:34 AM

The Vancouver store has been confirmed. Current speculation is that it'll open on Spring 08 and not 09. Construction on the store has already started.

See:
http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/11/19/vancouver.store.underway/
http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2007/10/31/vancouver-opening-could-be-spring-08/

Now if only they would build one in Winnipeg :-(

hagjohn
Dec 10, 2007, 08:54 AM
Do not live in NY, so who cares.

Maybe Apple should build less ostentatious stores and speed up getting stores in more locations.

Deepdale
Dec 10, 2007, 09:05 AM
I'd hardly call the location stunning and the lack of public restrooms is far from their best move to date.

KissStephanie
Dec 10, 2007, 02:09 PM
I know the odds are my sticker probably WAS just an iTunes card, but I'll never really know for sure, and that's going to haunt me for some time to come.Wow! I just read this story after a friend told me they saw someone won an iMac and overheard him saying to his friend that he found the lid on the floor! I wonder if it was yours! Maybe someone else dropped one too.

Just joking! ;) The story is true, but it was only an iTunes card that he won.

DMann
Dec 10, 2007, 02:25 PM
I'd hardly call the location stunning and the lack of public restrooms is far from their best move to date.

If you have to go, they'll let you use employee rest rooms. They probably didn't want to encourage beverage and food consumption in proximity with the computers...

DMann
Dec 10, 2007, 02:36 PM
Do not live in NY, so who cares.

Maybe Apple should build less ostentatious stores and speed up getting stores in more locations.

In good time.......... The first goal is to 'go to where the money is.' Demographically, NYC has proven to offer a greater demand from consumers who are willing to actually purchase products. Stores will arrive in new locations as demographic figures support new locations.

Rojo
Dec 10, 2007, 05:35 PM
Wow! I just read this story after a friend told me they saw someone won an iMac and overheard him saying to his friend that he found the lid on the floor! I wonder if it was yours! Maybe someone else dropped one too.

Just joking! ;) The story is true, but it was only an iTunes card that he won.

Ok...you seriously gave me a heart attack for half a second there. :eek:

facedoc
Dec 10, 2007, 05:38 PM
3 story Apple store
Glass stairs

Skylight to floors 1 and 2 from GREEN roof. Classrooms on 3, genius bars on 2 with some sales, kiddy areas, lecture hall and of course connected computers
Floor 1 all the latest with checkout bar as well as walking credit card wireless checkouts and various employees.

so what's so new?

John Musbach
Dec 15, 2007, 03:31 PM

This is great, with the closing of CompUSA people will be looking for alternative sources for their computers (not everyone wants to pay those outrageous shipping fees :eek:) and the more locations Apple Store's can be found at the more tempting it will be to take a sneak peak at these shiny beauties :D

thechidz
Dec 15, 2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah its a decently pretty store but I still prefer 5th ave:cool: although, I think its going to be MUCH less busy at the 14th street so I may go there for genius bar service etc...

Martin C
Dec 15, 2007, 09:00 PM
Yeah its a decently pretty store but I still prefer 5th ave:cool: although, I think its going to be MUCH less busy at the 14th street so I may go there for genius bar service etc...
Maybe not as less busy as you would think. I think it's open all the way to midnight on every night besides Sunday.