PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 & Samsung TV

simontarr
Dec 7, 2007, 03:22 PM
Hi All.

I just got my new Samsung TV delivered today (LE23R87BDX) and I'm looking to optimise the image on screen as best I can.

Some films come with a THX Optimiser that's designed to balance everything correctly so as to get the best picture possible for that film. I'm just wondering if there is something similar for the 360. If there isn't can someone with the same TV (or very similar specs-wise) enlighten me on the setting they feel gives the best picture?

Cheers.

MacRumorUser
Dec 7, 2007, 04:17 PM
To get the best from your tv, you need to connect the 360 via yellow phono.

Once connected to AV - make sure you turn your brightness up 100% and contrast down to the minimum.

If you can custom control colour you need to either remove saturation completely, or chage hue so that there is an over abundance of purple and green.

Once that's all done lay back and relax.... what's that you can hear your wondering... It's me cursing you out of jealousy for having a nice TV ;):D

But in all seriousness, just connect your 360 to the tv via HDMI if your 360 has it and enjoy. Most TVs have a multimedia or gaming mode preset anyway.

simontarr
Dec 8, 2007, 06:47 AM
:D :D :D

I didn't used to have a good TV! I brought a Polaroid a few weeks ago and it was....well.....s***. So I took it back, saved for another few weeks and brought the Samsung from Play.com. I cannot state how good it is compared to the Polaroid, and it was only 60 more. For the money, this is a seriously good TV, and I would recommend you beg/borrow/steal/sell your first born in order to get one.

Back on topic...I think I've got the settings just about perfect having spent most of last night fiddling with the settings. I will post them if anyone is interested.

koobcamuk
Dec 8, 2007, 06:52 AM
Back on topic...I think I've got the settings just about perfect having spent most of last night fiddling with the settings. I will post them if anyone is interested.

I am interested.

I have the Samsung Monitor 22" and I love it - connect up to it via VGA. I guess getting a TV would be a better idea in the long run... got a link to the one you bought?

simontarr
Dec 8, 2007, 07:04 AM
I am interested.

I have the Samsung Monitor 22" and I love it - connect up to it via VGA. I guess getting a TV would be a better idea in the long run... got a link to the one you bought?

Yep sure, you can take a look here (http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/3336301/-/Product.html?searchstring=LE23R87BDX&searchsource=0)

If you are thinking of getting a TV soon instead of using your monitor, definitely have this on your shortlist. Turn the Dynamic Contrast Ratio on high and you will have really deep blacks, and really vibrant colours. Halo 3 looks particularly good.

I'm just making a note of my '360 settings' and will post them in 10 mins or so.

koobcamuk
Dec 8, 2007, 07:06 AM
Many thanks. I have the Samsung black Syncmaster 22" - it's really good. VGA isn't the best thing in the world though... but the monitor is over 100 cheaper which is why I went for it. If I didn't buy a 20" ACD in the same week, it would be a different story. Maybe the settings can be the same though.

Markleshark
Dec 8, 2007, 07:08 AM
My Samsung (Wall mounted 32" LE32R73BD (http://microachat.01net.com/images/85573.jpg)) comes with a 'Games' setting but tbh I didn't notice much of a difference.

All I can see is it turns the brightness down a touch to reduce the glare.

I have my Premium 360 plugged in using the component cables, and using the 720p setting on the 360. Thats about the best way to do it, makes minimal difference.

simontarr
Dec 8, 2007, 07:12 AM
My Favourite Xbox 360 Settings

How the image looks to you is very subjective, but these settings are the ones I use for my 360 gaming. If you have any of your own, feel free to post them :)

Firstly, you need to set the picture mode to 'Standard' (as opposed to Dymanic). This 'unlocks' the Detailed Settings that allow you to change things such as Dynamic Contrast, Edge Enhancement etc.

Once that's on, I recommend the following settings:

Mode: Standard
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 40
Sharpness: 20
Colour: 50
Tint: 50-50
Colour Tone: Cool 1
Backlight: 2
Digital NR: Auto
DNIe: On
Movie Plus: On

Here are the settings I have changed in 'Detailed Settings'

Black Adjust: High
Dynamic Contrast: High
Gamma: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off
Colour Space: Wide

Hope these settings help if you feel that you're picture doesn't look right :)

simontarr
Dec 8, 2007, 07:13 AM
My Samsung (Wall mounted 32" LE32R73BD (http://microachat.01net.com/images/85573.jpg)) comes with a 'Games' setting but tbh I didn't notice much of a difference.

All I can see is it turns the brightness down a touch to reduce the glare.

I have my Premium 360 plugged in using the component cables, and using the 720p setting on the 360. Thats about the best way to do it, makes minimal difference.

I've tried the game setting, and I don't like it. I'm not 100% sure what it does to the image, but I feel that it makes things more washed out. Not terribly so, but enough for me to want to mess around with the settings for ages to get a picture I think is good.

Markleshark
Dec 8, 2007, 07:17 AM
I've tried the game setting, and I don't like it. I'm not 100% sure what it does to the image, but I feel that it makes things more washed out. Not terribly so, but enough for me to want to mess around with the settings for ages to get a picture I think is good.

Thats all you can do. Mess about with the settings until you find a picture that you like, and you think is good. People will tell you all sorts of different things, but really, the environment a TV is in makes a huge difference.

Messing about with it is the way forward.

simontarr
Dec 8, 2007, 07:26 AM
Thats all you can do. Mess about with the settings until you find a picture that you like, and you think is good. People will tell you all sorts of different things, but really, the environment a TV is in makes a huge difference.

Messing about with it is the way forward.

Yep, this is true.

I've had to change some settings just because it's now light outside.

It's quite entertaining changing setting in a sad, nerd kinda way! I like seeing if I can get a 'perfect' picture.

Markleshark
Dec 8, 2007, 07:28 AM
Yep, this is true.

I've had to change some settings just because it's now light outside.

It's quite entertaining changing setting in a sad, nerd kinda way! I like seeing if I can get a 'perfect' picture.

Yeah. I struggle to see a difference really. Don't get me wrong I can tell, but I'm not really that anal about it.

I like having the HD and stuff, but the finer points will take up too much of my time if I get into changing them, so I steer clear.

MacRumorUser
Dec 8, 2007, 07:31 AM
Damn play not shipping electronics to Ireland :rolleyes:

We'll show you the price in Euro's check
We'll let you add to your basket check
We'll let you proceed to checkout check
Then tell you to go stick your head where the sun don't shine check

Markleshark
Dec 8, 2007, 07:35 AM
Damn play not shipping electronics to Ireland :rolleyes:

We'll show you the price in Euro's check
We'll let you add to your basket check
We'll let you proceed to checkout check
Then tell you to go stick your head where the sun don't shine check

Going to buy a HDTV? I can not recommend a Samsung enough, I really can't.

Looking for a surround system for mine at the moment, but I think I'm going to buy it all separate rather than getting a package. Mmmmm, expensive. :D

MacRumorUser
Dec 8, 2007, 07:49 AM
Going to buy a HDTV?

Nah already have a 42" and a 32" I think anymore is overkill :D But just added to my play basket to see how much shipping might have been.... But will never know now.

student_trap
Dec 8, 2007, 07:53 AM
ive got the syncmaster 19" monitor/tv and its great, i just wish my wii outputted in full HD so that i could take advantage of it!

simontarr
Dec 8, 2007, 08:07 AM
Yeah. I struggle to see a difference really. Don't get me wrong I can tell, but I'm not really that anal about it.

I like having the HD and stuff, but the finer points will take up too much of my time if I get into changing them, so I steer clear.

I wasn't either until I experienced that crappy Polariod, now I'm always meddling with the settings...I'm paranoid! :eek: