PDA

View Full Version : Canadian iTunes TV Coming This Week

MacRumors
Dec 11, 2007, 09:16 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Arstechnica sources are pinpointing this week for the launch of television shows via iTunes in Canada (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/12/10/tv-to-make-its-debut-on-itunes-canada-this-week).

The company plans to begin adding shows quietly to the store as early as [Tuesday] afternoon or evening, with an official launch expected for Wednesday if things go smoothly

Ars notes that upon launch, the store will only contain a modest amount of content, including shows from CBC, CTV, and some US TV shows (excluding content from NBC (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/30/nbc-rhetoric-vs-itunes-increases/), of course).

Canada will make the third country with TV programming available via iTunes, in addition to the US and the UK (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/28/television-shows-now-available-on-uk-itunes/).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/11/canadian-itunes-tv-coming-this-week/)

aricher
Dec 11, 2007, 09:26 AM
Unfortunately, due to government restrictions there will only be one program...

http://image.listen.com/img/356x237/7/3/7/3/583737_356x237.jpg

ClassicBean
Dec 11, 2007, 09:26 AM
I will probably drop a deuce in my bed when this happens.

jakebot
Dec 11, 2007, 09:27 AM
whats this? something is actually happening in canada? wow. :)

glennyboiwpg
Dec 11, 2007, 09:28 AM
GASP! URGH!....hands tense up.... pound desk with fist. loosing strengh... can't keep sitting up str8... falling onto floor hands grasping futily for something to hold on to. Light fading.... gone.

I think I had a heart attack.

Although not sure what is surprising me more.... the fact that canada is finally going to get tv shows.... or that this story is front page...

glennyboiwpg
Dec 11, 2007, 09:36 AM

Don't worry we probably have to download jailBreak 1.12, downgrade the firmware and jailbreak the device before we are actually allowed to play tv shows on the :apple:TV though.

lol.

RumMunkey
Dec 11, 2007, 09:40 AM
Pfft... don't get yer hopes up.

I envision lots of Corner Gas and Da kink in My Hair.

Surely
Dec 11, 2007, 09:48 AM
Hurray, we get to download episodes of Little Mosque on the Prairie. Why is that show funny again?

Come on, SCTV and Kids in the Hall episodes!! and some old school Degrassi would be nice too.

blehpunk
Dec 11, 2007, 09:48 AM
nice, i just moved near the canadian border. can i just go over and get a pobox, little bank account, and sign in canada sometimes?

notjustjay
Dec 11, 2007, 09:52 AM
Glad to hear it.

I created an account on the US store years ago in order to take advantage of at least some of that stuff.

ipedro
Dec 11, 2007, 09:55 AM
Awesome news! I just started putting the gears in motion to cancel my Rogers cable account.

I got a new 42" Aquos and I'm waiting for MacWorld to get an AppleTV.... then bye bye Rogers cable! Hello AppleTV.

Perfect timing!

~Shard~
Dec 11, 2007, 10:04 AM
It;'s about frakking time! I'm curious to see what all will be offered in terms of content...

Don't forget "Little Mosque on the Prairie" as well! :rolleyes:

:p :D

Virgil-TB2
Dec 11, 2007, 10:10 AM
... Come on, SCTV and Kids in the Hall episodes!!There is sooo much fantastic CBC content it could be better than what's offered in the US store in no time at all.

Some of the funniest comedy bar none, comes from Canada and some of the best of the new "gritty," filmed in HD drama shows also.

- Little Mosque on the Prairie
- Kids in the Hall
- SCTV
- This Hour Has 22 Minutes
- Just for Laughs
- Intelligence (HD)
- DaVinci's Inquest (HD)
- The Nature of Things (HD)
- Thousands of award winning CBC Documentaries

Canadians are generally more law abiding than Americans also, so give them a legal download outlet and it might take off like a rocket.

It would be nice to see Americans having to buy Canadian iTunes gift cards and create dummy Canadian accounts so that they can watch our stuff. :p

Juicy irony there.

Eric Lewis
Dec 11, 2007, 10:10 AM
wholly ****

i just peed!

first apple canada realist rumor

hope it comes true!

Mindflux
Dec 11, 2007, 10:11 AM

http://image.listen.com/img/356x237/7/3/7/3/583737_356x237.jpg

You mean FORTUNATELY. That movie rocks.

kwood
Dec 11, 2007, 10:14 AM

Ah.... Take off, ya hoser.

iJawn108
Dec 11, 2007, 10:14 AM
Rogers are ****ing bastards and I will never support them.

:apple:

oh yeah and nice to see this coming too bad nbc shows are the only ones id want to buy. apple tv has done really well here in ontario at least. I remember them being constantly sold out.

Clive At Five
Dec 11, 2007, 10:18 AM
To Canadians everywhere: You haven't been missing much.

It's like alcohol to a teenager. You only want it because you can't have it. Then when you're of age, the thrill is gone.

-Clive

rfaulder
Dec 11, 2007, 10:18 AM
oh goodness I am ecstatic. I hope Nature of Things is up there, what a fantastic program.

and old degrassi.

othersongs
Dec 11, 2007, 10:25 AM
this is such great news for canadians. i honestly never thought this day would come.

did someone murder the CRTC? how did this happen?

swano
Dec 11, 2007, 10:28 AM
Pfft... don't get yer hopes up.

What the hell is that crap show anyways...Da Kink I mean... it came out of no where and it's not anything close to funny

quigleybc
Dec 11, 2007, 10:29 AM
Just the fact that canada is even mentioned with anything Apple related is refreshing...

We got no Apple Store where I live, we got no iPhone, no cool crap on itunes..

and we're so close to where all this stuff comes from....at least where I live it is....

god i want a normal, non hacked iPhone so bad......sigh...

ClassicBean
Dec 11, 2007, 10:35 AM
Just the fact that canada is even mentioned with anything Apple related is refreshing...

We got no Apple Store where I live, we got no iPhone, no cool crap on itunes..

and we're so close to where all this stuff comes from....at least where I live it is....

god i want a normal, non hacked iPhone so bad......sigh...

You're getting an Apple Store at the Pacific Centre so hang tight.

EngBrian
Dec 11, 2007, 10:43 AM
I would definitely start grabbing some shows if this were the case. They should add hockey games too...that would help with the Canadian Content restrictions...haha

Raid
Dec 11, 2007, 10:43 AM
As for TV shows through iTunes, I'm happy that we can finally do it, but I really want HD quality (not near HD quality) and I'd also like the :apple:TV to come with a DVR option. If that happens then I'll be running to the store to get one. Hopefully there'll be an update for the :apple:tv in January <crosses fingers>

EngBrian
Dec 11, 2007, 10:44 AM
You mean FORTUNATELY. That movie rocks.

More than just a movie my friend. Check out some SCTV and take in some Canadian sketch comedy goodness.

skellener
Dec 11, 2007, 10:49 AM
High-Def?

SciTeach
Dec 11, 2007, 10:50 AM
Don't forget about all of the hockey and curling footage. Just think, you can have Don Cherry right on your computer.:D You've got to love the coats.

sikkinixx
Dec 11, 2007, 10:53 AM
just give me South Park and I'm happy.

glennyboiwpg
Dec 11, 2007, 10:54 AM
As for TV shows through iTunes, I'm happy that we can finally do it, but I really want HD quality (not near HD quality) and I'd also like the :apple:TV to come with a DVR option. If that happens then I'll be running to the store to get one. Hopefully there'll be an update for the :apple:tv in January <crosses fingers>

I don't mean to be rude but... come on people... there will NEVER BE a DVR functionality on the :apple:TV. Why? That would defeat the whole purpose of the Itunes movie/tv store. SJ doens't want you recording stuff off of a cable service he wants you to be paying alacart show by show off of itunes.

:apple:TV != pvr.

Move on people!

RumMunkey
Dec 11, 2007, 10:55 AM
nice, i just moved near the canadian border. can i just go over and get a pobox, little bank account, and sign in canada sometimes?

You don't even need that. Just get an iTunes gift card from Canada, sign out of your US account, change your store to Canada and click "Redeem".

Poof. You have a Canadian account. Download all the poorly produced shows you can afford. ;)

Orng
Dec 11, 2007, 11:08 AM
Awesome news! I just started putting the gears in motion to cancel my Rogers cable account.

I wish you the best. Let me be the first to tell you that canceling Rogers cable is like telling your crack dealer that you're going into rehab.

Here's what you can expect to hear:

Won't you miss all those great shows?
Won't you feel out of the loop when your friends are talking about all those great shows?
want a three-month freebie?
When you come crawling back, we won't be here for you (at your current price)
It will cost you $$ to re-establish your relationship with us (not true, they've been begging me to come back for three years now)

If you're like me, you'll probably get transfered to at least three different people and have to endure the same trip (not including the "accidental" transfers back to the main queue where they can't help you)

Yep, they lay it on thick; fear, uncertainty, doubt AND guilt. By the end of the conversation, a person of weaker constitution might very well be saying, "ohh... maybe I should keep my cable...."

Yeah! Former TV junkie, three years cable free! I'm happy to see nothing wrong with being able to say, "if I can't get it on the rabbit ears, it's not worth worrying about."

Canadians are generally more law abiding than Americans also, so give them a legal download outlet and it might take off like a rocket.

I find the exact opposite. Except in Calgary. I've lived across Canada and visited the States a lot. From what I've seen, more conservative (as in the US, and Calgary) tends to mean more law-abiding, at least on a misdemeanor level. Not so much on a major stuff like murder and embezzlement and bombing government buildings, that's wackos of any stripe, but stealing videos off the internet, not so conservative. Just try to get someone to go 10km over the speed limit in Calgary. How many hours of my life did I lose stuck behind some guy in Calgary driving 10km below the posted limit, staring at his dumb "piss off a Liberal, buy a gun" bumper sticker? Hey tough guy, it's the pedal on the right! Or are you afraid the big bad government is going to slap you on the wrist?

ipedro
Dec 11, 2007, 11:25 AM
I wish you the best. Let me be the first to tell you that canceling Rogers cable is like telling your crack dealer that you're going into rehab.

Here's what you can expect to hear:

Won't you miss all those great shows?
Won't you feel out of the loop when your friends are talking about all those great shows?
want a three-month freebie?
When you come crawling back, we won't be here for you (at your current price)
It will cost you $$ to re-establish your relationship with us (not true, they've been begging me to come back for three years now)

If you're like me, you'll probably get transfered to at least three different people and have to endure the same trip (not including the "accidental" transfers back to the main queue where they can't help you)

Yep, they lay it on thick; fear, uncertainty, doubt AND guilt. By the end of the conversation, a person of weaker constitution might very well be saying, "ohh... maybe I should keep my cable...."

Yeah! Former TV junkie, three years cable free! I'm happy to see nothing wrong with being able to say, "if I can't get it on the rabbit ears, it's not worth worrying about."

Thanks for that! I already expect all that..lol

I only watch a few shows anyway. Most of the TV I watch is on free over-the-air.

I watch

Heroes, Journeyman - GlobalTV HD is available over the air for free and I can record it for view on my AppleTV with an El Gato

CNN: Anderson Cooper, Larry King - Both available as free Podcasts. Breaking news is available on CNN.com for free also.

Podcasts: ONnetworks has some amazing shows, some of them better produced than crap that's on TV. Diggnation is a must every week. There are countless podcasts that I can't even keep up with.. all free.

I do like some Canadian shows that unfortunately aren't on TV anymore like Naked Josh and Rumours. Here's hoping that they'll be on iTunes.

... now somebody tell us why we're paying $60 a month to Rogers for stuff we can get for free?? lol

CRAZYBUBBA
Dec 11, 2007, 11:29 AM

it's about time

twoodcc
Dec 11, 2007, 11:29 AM
good news for our friends up north!

Dagless
Dec 11, 2007, 11:31 AM
If you can call it TV. It's just Disney Channel and MTV shovelware. Nothing British on our store yet. Or at least the last time I checked.

jonny
Dec 11, 2007, 11:36 AM
who cares?

brad.c
Dec 11, 2007, 11:40 AM
Hmmm. This is supposed to happen today, which is when the Canadian Government's DMCA (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=397893) bill was supposed to have been introduced. Coincidental?

Yvan256
Dec 11, 2007, 11:41 AM
- This Hour Has 22 Minutes
- Just for Laughs

Add Royal Canadian Airface, Corner Gas, Heroes, Reaper, Chuck, BattleStar Galactica and Doctor Who and you have me hooked. :D

Knowing the CRTC hurdles, I'm surprised to see this news at all. :eek:

slicecom
Dec 11, 2007, 11:48 AM
I don't care. Give me my ******* iPhone!

glennyboiwpg
Dec 11, 2007, 11:58 AM
who cares?

Who Cares????

Ok... how about this?

So you have a show that you watch religiously that just so happens to be on itunes... you watch it faithfully every week but this one time you can't watch it at the time its broadcast so you set your vcr/pvr/dvr to record it for you. Everything is set but dispite your best efforts something goes awry. Vcr/pvr ran our of tape/harddrive space, sibling/parent/spose acciently turned something off/changed settings, power outtage, etc happens and your show didn't get taped.

what do you do? Well now you just go pay your 2.99 or what ever and problem solved.

Dispite my best efforts this happens to me at least once a tv season. Not that often but its a pain in the arse when it does.

So I don't know about you... but I care about this...

Stampyhead
Dec 11, 2007, 12:02 PM
Don't forget "Little Mosque on the Prairie" as well!

I keep hearing about this show on the CBC website. Is it as lame as it sounds? I keep imagining Melissa Gilbert wearing a burqa...

CRAZYBUBBA
Dec 11, 2007, 12:06 PM
I keep hearing about this show on the CBC website. Is it as lame as it sounds? I keep imagining Melissa Gilbert wearing a burqa...

i love that show!

freediverdude
Dec 11, 2007, 12:12 PM
FINALEMENT!! Laissez les bon temps roulez!!!

Sorry, I just had to interject it in French for our eastern Canadian friends, hehe.

M!K
Dec 11, 2007, 12:17 PM
OMG! I've been waiting for this for a long time!!! i'm so happy... my favorite CTV shows in my MacBook Pro n' iPod Touch! I hope they're gonna have all the CBS shows playing on CTV like CSI and Moonlight...

Canada finally gets something! Now the last thing I'm waiting for is the iPhone!!!!

love:apple:

brad.c
Dec 11, 2007, 12:19 PM

Sorry, I just had to interject it in French for our eastern Canadian friends, hehe.

I didn't know Newfoundlanders spoke French.

Ou est ma Screech? Merde! J'ai le perdu dans le «dory». Qu'est-ce qu'on dit "Seal Flipper Pie" en français?

Je suis un "nez-du-blue", mais ne pas d'Acadienne.
Aussi, tu es a l'ouest de moi.

notjustjay
Dec 11, 2007, 12:20 PM

My word, cancelling ExpressVu satellite is exactly the same. The first time I got the usual spiel and questioning ("but... but... why???") and then finally I was told that the cancellation order had to be made 30 days in advance, so the soonest they could cancel was 30 days from the day I called. OK, fine. So I hang up thinking it's all taken care of, and start counting down the days and warning my family (ok, after tomorrow, there'll be no more satellite TV...)

Tomorrow came and went, and the next day, and the next day... and then I got another bill for another $55 for another month of service.

I call up again and ask why they haven't cancelled my order yet. "Sorry, we have no record of a cancellation order... but if you like, I'm prepared to offer you a very special deal for the next three months..."

This has happened TWICE.

I am on my THIRD cancel call, yet another 30 days' notice, and I've taken down the work order number, the employee number that took my call.. I will be furious if they "forget" again.

Surely
Dec 11, 2007, 12:26 PM

So lame. So, so lame.

M!K
Dec 11, 2007, 12:27 PM

Bravo pour ton français... je vis justement au Québec. C'est une belle place! Tu devrais venir nous visiter un jour. :)

Clive At Five
Dec 11, 2007, 12:28 PM
I don't mean to be rude but... come on people... there will NEVER BE a DVR functionality on the :apple:TV. Why? That would defeat the whole purpose of the Itunes movie/tv store. SJ doens't want you recording stuff off of a cable service he wants you to be paying alacart show by show off of itunes.

Move on people!

Unfortunately, iTunes movies and tv shows are a bust. To make :apple:TV successful, either Apple has to change their iTunes business model, or their :apple:TV business model.

Since the Studios are starting to fight back against Apple, I say modify iTS. Offer a rental service in addition to the option to buy. Give :apple:TV a DVD player, PVR functionality, and "couch-top" access to the iTS TV/Movie page. Then it will truly be the all-in-one home media system. People who want to rent movies/TV shows win, people who watch DVDs win, people who record their own TV shows win, and people who want to do all three (most of us) win big-time.

-Clive

skellener
Dec 11, 2007, 12:34 PM
... there will NEVER BE a DVR functionality on the :apple:TV.
Someone who understands Apple. Finally! I agree 100%. Now get some HD content up there and AppleTV may have a chance.

Clive At Five
Dec 11, 2007, 12:38 PM
Bravo pour ton français... je vis justement au Québec. C'est une belle place! Tu devrais venir nous visiter un jour. :)

Je voudrais, mais mon français est rouillé. :o

:D

-Clive à Cinq (doesn't quite ring the same way...)

X5-452
Dec 11, 2007, 12:48 PM
I find the exact opposite. Except in Calgary. I've lived across Canada and visited the States a lot. From what I've seen, more conservative (as in the US, and Calgary) tends to mean more law-abiding, at least on a misdemeanor level. Not so much on a major stuff like murder and embezzlement and bombing government buildings, that's wackos of any stripe, but stealing videos off the internet, not so conservative. Just try to get someone to go 10km over the speed limit in Calgary. How many hours of my life did I lose stuck behind some guy in Calgary driving 10km below the posted limit, staring at his dumb "piss off a Liberal, buy a gun" bumper sticker? Hey tough guy, it's the pedal on the right! Or are you afraid the big bad government is going to slap you on the wrist?

When was the last time you were in Calgary? You want to see some serious speeding, mosey on over to Deerfoot and watch people drive like maniacs going 140 while texting. Now that's terrifying and far from law-abiding.

EDIT:

It's by far the best show in Canada at the moment, excluding The Hour. Which, when you think about it, would be very sad were the show not as funny as it is.

B. Hunter
Dec 11, 2007, 12:55 PM
Yipeeeeeee!

The Beachcombers and North of 60!
Please bring the most popular TV series in Canadian history (The Beachcombers) to iTunes.

glennyboiwpg
Dec 11, 2007, 01:02 PM
Someone who understands Apple. Finally! I agree 100%. Now get some HD content up there and AppleTV may have a chance.

In my opinon, they need to give :apple:tv the ability to buy/rent movies/tvshows from the :apple:tv set itself. and yes... give people the choice about renting/buying movies (maybe not tv, but definantly movies). So if you and your significate other want to do a dinner and a movie, you can sit down select your movie of choice, start the download, proceed with a nice meal and when your down your movie awaits.

If your going to rent, you should be given x amount of views. no expiry after time period garbage. 3 views and thats it.

and yeah... HD or at least DVD quality is a MUST.

One last thing... these changes are mostly software so don't sell these changes as :apple:tv 2.0... give it to your customers via a software update.

Thats how to fix itunes movie/tv store/:apple:tv

billabong
Dec 11, 2007, 01:14 PM
How all I can say it's about f-in time...

Funny how it is going to happen the same week that Microsoft announces content for Canada on XBOX LIVE now. http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/11/xbox-live-video-marketplace-launches-in-five-new-countries/

Now give us an iPhone too and we will all be happy!

They better be giving us movies too, come on Apple if Microsoft can figure out the rights so can you guys...

Stampyhead
Dec 11, 2007, 01:21 PM

J'ai habité à Québec il y a 15 ans. C'est l'un de mes lieux préférés au monde. Si j'avais la choix je serais là toujours. Peut-être un jour...

palmerized
Dec 11, 2007, 01:32 PM
I'm more interested in Classic Bean's bed-dropping deuce. Photo?

Orng
Dec 11, 2007, 01:36 PM
When was the last time you were in Calgary? You want to see some serious speeding, mosey on over to Deerfoot and watch people drive like maniacs going 140 while texting. Now that's terrifying and far from law-abiding.

Two years ago. But you're right, I forgot about the Trails. Different rules there. The rest of the roads, forget it. Slooooooow drivers. At least the part I lived in.

Clive At Five
Dec 11, 2007, 01:51 PM
J'ai habité à Québec il y a 15 ans. C'est l'un de mes lieux préférés au monde. Si j'avais la choix je serais là toujours. Peut-être un jour...

15 ans! Vraiment! Avez-vous vécu ailleurs? J'ai visité le Québec, une fois, mais j'étais un jeune garçon. J'étais très intimidé de la "langue bizarre." Hehehe. Ah, d'être jeune.

-Clive

CRAZYBUBBA
Dec 11, 2007, 01:52 PM

cool! Why kansas?

bhjs1
Dec 11, 2007, 02:03 PM
Its about time...

jhedges3
Dec 11, 2007, 02:07 PM
If your going to rent, you should be given x amount of views. no expiry after time period garbage. 3 views and thats it.

How would you enforce this? What if you don't 'view' the entire thing at a time?

thingamajigidid
Dec 11, 2007, 02:13 PM
Je voudrais, mais mon français est rouillé. :o

:D

-Clive à Cinq (doesn't quite ring the same way...)

yay.. first time i get to use the translation thing on my computer :) woo hoo..
damn french people.. why can't they just speak english like everyones suppose to :) :rolleyes:

Rivix
Dec 11, 2007, 02:25 PM
Halleuhia!

ClassicBean
Dec 11, 2007, 02:29 PM
I'm more interested in Classic Bean's bed-dropping deuce. Photo?

Next time.

gkarris
Dec 11, 2007, 02:38 PM

Move on people!

It'll be as good as a PVR if you can download shows for free with commercials..

Canada getting TV gives me hope for :apple:TV... ;)

hey, you guys make my favorite TV shows up there (Stargate)...

Raid
Dec 11, 2007, 02:48 PM
Unfortunately, iTunes movies and tv shows are a bust. To make :apple:TV successful, either Apple has to change their iTunes business model, or their :apple:TV business model.

Since the Studios are starting to fight back against Apple, I say modify iTS. Offer a rental service in addition to the option to buy. Give :apple:TV a DVD player, PVR functionality, and "couch-top" access to the iTS TV/Movie page. Then it will truly be the all-in-one home media system. People who want to rent movies/TV shows win, people who watch DVDs win, people who record their own TV shows win, and people who want to do all three (most of us) win big-time.

-Clive Couldn't have said it better, not even in French (though it always sounds more eloquent eh?) I only voiced my opinion because the lack of functionality is why I haven't bought an :apple:TV yet. Yes I'm interested, but things have to get better before Apple gets me to buy one. Today's announcement is a plus, but not enough for me to buy one.

TurboLag
Dec 11, 2007, 03:01 PM
Heroes, Journeyman - GlobalTV HD is available over the air for free and I can record it for view on my AppleTV with an El Gato

iPedro, I'm north of Toronto, and GlobalHD is nowhere in sight. In fact, they aren't expected to go live over-the-air until June '08. Where, and at what frequency are you picking it up?

Oh, and why does everyone expect only Canadian content to appear on the TV section? The CRTC doesn't force us to download Celine Dion every tenth download on iTunes!

g-7
Dec 11, 2007, 03:11 PM
OK, but what about iTunes Store in Poland? I'm still waiting. :rolleyes:

MacTO
Dec 11, 2007, 03:16 PM
At last... time to buy :apple:TV!

Cheers. :apple:

glennyboiwpg
Dec 11, 2007, 03:17 PM
How would you enforce this? What if you don't 'view' the entire thing at a time?

I hate to use this as an example... but...

how does the zune determine that you've only listened to it 3 times?

As a programmer there is a way, one just has to decide on it.

RichardI
Dec 11, 2007, 03:22 PM
I guess I'm too old... I don't get it. First of all, what does one do with a downloaded TV show? Put it on your iPod? Why not watch it on something the size of a postage stamp? Watch it on your PC (or Mac)? That's why I have a 42" TV. So I can see stuff...
Secondly, what would they charge for an episode of a TV show?

Rich :cool:

RafMac
Dec 11, 2007, 03:25 PM
OK, but what about iTunes Store in Poland? I'm still waiting. :rolleyes:

Poland is not getting anything including iPhone until they fix the corruption mess with their government and adopt euro currency.

It's a shame to be Polish today despite all bickering inside this oversized government that needs to scale down and get their act together and work for the country not their own personal interest.

Canada needs iPhone now since this iTunes announcement would be step one to clear the hurdles with CRTC (Communist Radio and Telecommunications Commission). C'mon Rogers it's time to compete with Ma'Bell Mobility and match their $7 unlimited data plan.

chuckles:)
Dec 11, 2007, 03:30 PM
1) Yay!

2) timing couldn't be better (just got 50 bucks worth of itunes card 4 Chanukah).

3) Could someone translate all that french please? (i live in toronto, and french isn't one of the 5 languages i speak.)

Raid
Dec 11, 2007, 03:41 PM
3) Could someone translate all that french please? (i live in toronto, and french isn't one of the 5 languages i speak.) Don't worry about it, it's mainly off topic stuff about liking/visiting Quebec and the French language it's self... Not bad for stopping French at grade 9 eh? ;)

Rivix
Dec 11, 2007, 03:41 PM
Commonwealt FTW

CRAZYBUBBA
Dec 11, 2007, 03:42 PM
Commonwealt FTW

ORLY? I have yet to see a S. African/indian store yet.

glennyboiwpg
Dec 11, 2007, 03:48 PM
I guess I'm too old... I don't get it. First of all, what does one do with a downloaded TV show? Put it on your iPod? Why not watch it on something the size of a postage stamp? Watch it on your PC (or Mac)? That's why I have a 42" TV. So I can see stuff...
Secondly, what would they charge for an episode of a TV show?

Rich :cool:

The point is... lets take the powerbook/macbook pro.

It has a dvi output and optical audio out.

Meaning I can hoook my powerbook to my 56 inch HD TV through a DVI/HDMI hookup (full digial power) and hook my powerbook to my 5.1 sterio through optical out/in.

Full digital video and audio from my laptop to my tv/sterio.

and incase your wondering? It looks wonderful.
:)

Stampyhead
Dec 11, 2007, 03:55 PM
15 ans! Vraiment! Avez-vous vécu ailleurs? J'ai visité le Québec, une fois, mais j'étais un jeune garçon. J'étais très intimidé de la "langue bizarre." Hehehe. Ah, d'être jeune.
La langue est bizarre! Ainsi que les gens qui habitent là (je blague). Je suis né a Winnipeg mais on a déménagé aux Etats-Unis quand j'étais enfant. Je suis allé vivre à Québec pour un peu de temps aprés l'école secondaire et avant d'aller à l'Université.

cool! Why kansas?

I found a good job out here so I thought I'd give it a shot. Kansas City is a nice place but I still have my eye on moving back to Canada one day. How do you like Kingston? My mom is from North Bay...

xStep
Dec 11, 2007, 03:57 PM
... now somebody tell us why we're paying $60 a month to Rogers for stuff we can get for free?? lol
So that you don't have to get up and mess with the rabbit ears of course! :D

jonny
Dec 11, 2007, 04:19 PM
So that you don't have to get up and mess with the rabbit ears of course! :D
i love that Rogers system is so effed up (ie. all the installation guys are contract) that they hook you up with everything and anything you want.

i have cable internet + 80 free tv channels. pretty sweet. but i think i'll be ditching rogers for acanac.ca when they start doing this: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071210-canadian-isp-tests-injecting-content-into-web-pages.html

I hate rogers. they suck.

Butthead
Dec 11, 2007, 04:24 PM
You don't even need that. Just get an iTunes gift card from Canada, sign out of your US account, change your store to Canada and click "Redeem".

Poof. You have a Canadian account. Download all the poorly produced shows you can afford. ;)

So we should be able to do the same^ with UK programing then? I don't see why Apple just doesn't do an iNational version of iTunes, so we can get international programing from whatever country we want, sort of like Cable TV packages.

I really want to d/l all of those Korean mini-series dramas/soaps; all they do is eat food constantly, and cry, and cry, and cry (seriously, even the guys in the staring roles). And don't forget about all that 'awesome' content coming out of Bollywood (j/k).

lazyrighteye
Dec 11, 2007, 04:29 PM
As we all know, this welcome news for all Canadians - well, those that frequent the iTunes Store. :p

Virgil-TB2
Dec 11, 2007, 04:32 PM
How would you enforce this? What if you don't 'view' the entire thing at a time?A better (possible) method than either of these is described here:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/12/07/how-apple-could-deliver-workable-itunes-rentals/

zlinger
Dec 11, 2007, 04:51 PM
How about this Eh! You will even be able to pay for your iTunes TV shows using Canadian Tire Money...:)
http://www2.canadiantire.ca/CTenglish/image/moneyfan.jpg

Darkroom
Dec 11, 2007, 05:01 PM
How about this Eh! You will even be able to pay for your iTunes TV shows using Canadian Tire Money...:)
http://www2.canadiantire.ca/CTenglish/image/moneyfan.jpg

good call... CT rocks by the way... for real, best shop in all the land...

but welcome to yawnville about canTV on iTunes.

makeyourfaith
Dec 11, 2007, 05:20 PM
gee, that's great. TV content. Another few years before we can buy movies no doubt. Anyone know how to buy movies off of iTunes with a Canadian account? I saw others saying they were in the US and had created a Canadian account. What about the opposite?

mich8261
Dec 11, 2007, 05:30 PM
I hope they make CBC shows available in the US. I would love to be able to purchase The Nature of Things, the Fifth Estate, Venture (is that still on?)

shonline
Dec 11, 2007, 05:34 PM
Looks like Apple is adding the small missing pieces prior to the imminent iPhone announcement here in Canada. About bloody time on both counts I'd say. I was wrong about Movies coming first though, and am very surprised they have TV onboard first, as it was a much more complicated thing to do. If one were a conspiracy theorist, you could wonder about Rogers balking at Movie downloads because it impact two of it's major core businesses and Apple playing nice until the iPhone is out the door here.... although I suppose the same could be said for TV (although the scope of TV downloads to be introduced may be small)

Stu

Hawkeye411
Dec 11, 2007, 05:57 PM
1)
3) Could someone translate all that french please? (i live in toronto, and french isn't one of the 5 languages i speak.)

LOL .. that's funny stuff... I grew up in Scarborough and didn't hear ANY french. Lots of Middle East languages. Now I live in New Brunswick and, since it is the only province in Canada that is officially bilingual (English/French), that has changed.

I kinda miss the ethnic diversity of the Big Smoke!!

Cheers.
:):apple:

ilikemonkeys
Dec 11, 2007, 06:16 PM
I hope they make CBC shows available in the US. I would love to be able to purchase The Nature of Things, the Fifth Estate, Venture (is that still on?)
I've been doing this for a while. I live in Alberta, and every now and then when I travel to the US. I grab a iTunes gift card, so far I've bought the Office (up till now of course), Prison Break, The Core (movie), and all the free goodies that us Canadians don't get (like the free season premieres). For my account, all I did was give some bogus San Francisco address and I was done.

teflon
Dec 11, 2007, 06:33 PM
You're getting an Apple Store at the Pacific Centre so hang tight.

WE ARE??! When did this happen and where was I? I've never heard any official confirmation from Apple that they're coming to Vancouver, BC anytime soon.
It'd be great if it was true!!!

ilikemonkeys
Dec 11, 2007, 06:37 PM
That would be sweet! I'm moving to Kelowna soon so I will be pretty close to Vancouver!

Hawkeye411
Dec 11, 2007, 07:05 PM
I've been doing this for a while. I live in Alberta, and every now and then when I travel to the US. I grab a iTunes gift card, so far I've bought the Office (up till now of course), Prison Break, The Core (movie), and all the free goodies that us Canadians don't get (like the free season premieres). For my account, all I did was give some bogus San Francisco address and I was done.

SWEET.. Great idea!!

Almost makes me want to finally get around to getting my passport so that I can go to the US to get an iTunes card!!!

Cheers,

Hawkeye411
Dec 11, 2007, 07:19 PM
To Canadians everywhere: You haven't been missing much.

It's like alcohol to a teenager. You only want it because you can't have it. Then when you're of age, the thrill is gone.

-Clive

My first reaction to your comment is that you are probably correct and the novelty would ware off quickly and you would lose interest. However, I wonder how much money is being spent on purchasing TV shows in the current iTunes market. I bet that more copies of the TV shows are being purchased than you would guess. Otherwise, why would Apple spend so much time and money attempting to get permission to sell these TV shows in new markets (e.g. Canada). I'm personally looking forward to being able to purchase these shows. I know that I can currently download them for free off the internet. But I would rather pay the relatively small fee to download the show from Apple so that I know that it will download quickly and that it will be a high quality version of the show.

Cheers.

M!K
Dec 11, 2007, 07:24 PM

i do admit that would be great. i'd love to buy an :apple:Tv, because there's the Apple logo on it and i'm kinda addicted to that logo. But it's kind of not useful... It should have some more features. You know what would be really cool?? If they would do a Apple TV with a DVD slot, and a HDD, so we could record our favorites programs and use the hardware as a DVD player/recorder. Then, Apple could also release a Apple TV (as in the hardware). A plasma screen or something. I would be on cloud nine if I could have a TV with this great logo:apple:

M!K
Dec 11, 2007, 07:27 PM
But I would rather pay the relatively small fee to download the show from Apple so that I know that it will download quickly and that it will be a high quality version of the show.

I agree with you. I do that with the videoclips because in the iTunes Store, the videoclip are great quality and they look gorgeous on my iPods. And I can't wait to have my fav TV shows with me everywhere.

Surely
Dec 11, 2007, 07:55 PM
Well, it looks like changes have begun. The Canadian iTunes Music Store is different- there is no 'Canadian' tab in the New Releases section, and the Quick Links section is now blank.

RafMac
Dec 11, 2007, 08:22 PM
It's already there as Movies and TV shows are in, no Canadian channels. Now where's the iPhone Canadian launch? I called Rogers today and asked about it, they said it's coming before XMas, I don't believe it as January is a possibility after MacWorld as it's kind of close to xmas now, how are they going to market it last minute? Hey apple always finds a way? MacWorld may bring updated iPhones to match ipod touch 16GB capacity or maybe more would be nice.

Rivix
Dec 11, 2007, 08:35 PM
iTunes Plus tab is gone too.

music.addict411
Dec 11, 2007, 08:49 PM
Search "tv" in the search box and then change all results to tv shows, there is nothing there yet but they added that search option!! ITS REALLY COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely
Dec 11, 2007, 08:54 PM
It's already there as Movies and TV shows are in, no Canadian channels. Now where's the iPhone Canadian launch? I called Rogers today and asked about it, they said it's coming before XMas, I don't believe it as January is a possibility after MacWorld as it's kind of close to xmas now, how are they going to market it last minute? Hey apple always finds a way? MacWorld may bring updated iPhones to match ipod touch 16GB capacity or maybe more would be nice.

I think you're looking at the U.S. Store, guy.

Dude, don't call Rogers and ask them questions about the iPhone. The customer reps don't know *****, and they're probably just messing with you. I bet they hang up the phone and laugh at all the people who call up and ask about the iPhone.

gabpumas2003
Dec 11, 2007, 08:55 PM
Quick links is completly gone now and top music videos have been moved to the left bottom corner

music.addict411
Dec 11, 2007, 09:03 PM
I wonder if we will have movies? And if we will get shows like family guy i want to buy the new season.

samh004
Dec 11, 2007, 10:06 PM
So we should be able to do the same^ with UK programing then? I don't see why Apple just doesn't do an iNational version of iTunes, so we can get international programing from whatever country we want, sort of like Cable TV packages.

I really want to d/l all of those Korean mini-series dramas/soaps; all they do is eat food constantly, and cry, and cry, and cry (seriously, even the guys in the staring roles). And don't forget about all that 'awesome' content coming out of Bollywood (j/k).

That would be awesome but not likely. See, the content is released in one country before the others, and then sold for a high price to a network in each extra country. Having it available to freely download by anyone in any country immediately would mean the TV companies would make less money off foreign TV networks...

It's a shame it has to be this way, but with money being what it is, I doubt anyone is going to give up that lucrative business just so you can download a show when it's actually released... not months, or years later.

But on that other note, it's simple to get multiple accounts, you need to know someone and buy a iTunes card off them of course, but after that it's all about setting up an account with a NEW e-mail and your sorted.

I currently have access to Australia, Canada, Japan, UK, US. For most of them, when my credit runs out, or expires, that'll be it... but I can still download the free music and movies when they're half-decent ;)

The point is... lets take the powerbook/macbook pro.

It has a dvi output and optical audio out.

Meaning I can hoook my powerbook to my 56 inch HD TV through a DVI/HDMI hookup (full digial power) and hook my powerbook to my 5.1 sterio through optical out/in.

Full digital video and audio from my laptop to my tv/sterio.

and incase your wondering? It looks wonderful.
:)

Or just use an AppleTV :p

stakis
Dec 11, 2007, 10:10 PM
My mom is from North Bay...

Woah... I'm from North Bay

billabong
Dec 11, 2007, 10:14 PM
I wonder if we will have movies? And if we will get shows like family guy i want to buy the new season. I would love to see movies on there, but I doubt it. Canada always gets the shaft, but maybe... We can hope right?

mcbane666
Dec 11, 2007, 10:19 PM
as of tonight XBOX LIVE is offering content in canada so this rumor has very very good chance of being true.

mcbane666
Dec 11, 2007, 10:25 PM
if you click Itunes U, then TV shows shows up on the top right.

degrasee, rick mercer, no opertunity wasted, south park.

comedy network, nfl, cbc, ctv

::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::eek::eek ::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

stakis
Dec 11, 2007, 10:27 PM
as of tonight XBOX LIVE is offering content in canada so this rumor has very very good chance of being true.

If thats the case, its said that Canada need Microsoft to open the flood gates... I'm sure apple has been battling this since it introduced this service in the States.... I wonder how long it took Microsoft to do it... Stupid CRTC

stakis
Dec 11, 2007, 10:29 PM

::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::eek::eek ::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

CONFIRMED IT WORKS!!! WE HAVE ACCESS... CLICK THROUGHT ITUNES U AND THEN YOU HAVE THE OPTION IN QUICK LINKS TO CLICK ON TV SHOWS!!!

Rivix
Dec 11, 2007, 10:29 PM

Nice!

Looks like their adding them as we type. Nothing that interests me so far (maby RMR)

atropos
Dec 11, 2007, 10:30 PM

Nice, it seems still working on it...... the Buy episode button is so tempting :p

Rivix
Dec 11, 2007, 10:32 PM
I hope thats not it...

brad.c
Dec 11, 2007, 10:33 PM
Nice, it seems still working on it...... the Buy episode button is so tempting :p

Something tells me it'd take the money, but who knows what you'd get. ;)

Rivix
Dec 11, 2007, 10:35 PM

I wouldn't be pushing any buy buttons quite yet.

mcbane666
Dec 11, 2007, 10:43 PM
the movie section is there also, but nothing in it yet

ipedro
Dec 11, 2007, 10:45 PM
It looks like they're copying code form the US store. The Canada store doesn't have (or need) iTunes Latino, yet is shows in the menu.

slimjim247
Dec 11, 2007, 10:56 PM
Downloading an episode of No Opportunity wasted right now

Says 3 hours remaining?:eek:

Update: The episode i bought was called Fear of Driving but it is actually Fear of Water?
I think i'm going to wait until it is officially released to purchase more T.V. shows

Rivix
Dec 11, 2007, 10:57 PM
It looks like they're copying code form the US store. The Canada store doesn't have (or need) iTunes Latino, yet is shows in the menu.

*shivers* I'll take French instead any day. :P

iSavant
Dec 11, 2007, 10:59 PM
Canada getting TV... 'bout dang time!

... I wonder if the birthrate will go down... : ponders :

brendanryder
Dec 11, 2007, 11:13 PM
ITS UP!!!!!!!!
still through itunes u tho
most of the shows r now up!!!!

ilikemonkeys
Dec 11, 2007, 11:16 PM
Yes! Finnaly TV Shows in Canada! I won't have to go to the US as often! Hopefully movies soon, then this will give Canadians a reason to get the Apple TV (other then to put ripped movies, and pirated TV shows on).

brendanryder
Dec 11, 2007, 11:21 PM
arrrrrr

LizKat
Dec 11, 2007, 11:22 PM

Why wouldn't you need itunes latino in Canada. That sounds like some French trade minister deciding we don't need to buy Francis Cabrel's music in the USA, only in France or Spain. Well the execs or stores or gov-depts may think that, but they are silly because we will get the music and concert DVDs that we want SOMEHOW even if by snail mail. And Latin pop is big in lots of places, not just USA!

And what exactly is Canadian gem Nelly Furtado singing anyway when she sings No Hay Igual??? You can call it "pop" but hey, it's Latin pop!

agentkow
Dec 11, 2007, 11:27 PM
WE ARE??! When did this happen and where was I? I've never heard any official confirmation from Apple that they're coming to Vancouver, BC anytime soon.
It'd be great if it was true!!!

It's true, although I can't get a link to the exact page that proves it.

Just got to apple.com/jobs, choose Canada, choose any of the jobs there (Mac Genius works, for example), then select location, choose British Columbia from the "State" menu (we can get TV shows but not recognition of provinces, sheesh), and then you'll see that the only one available is Pacific Centre.

Ta-da!

ipedro
Dec 11, 2007, 11:37 PM
Why wouldn't you need itunes latino in Canada. That sounds like some French trade minister deciding we don't need to buy Francis Cabrel's music in the USA, only in France or Spain. Well the execs or stores or gov-depts may think that, but they are silly because we will get the music and concert DVDs that we want SOMEHOW even if by snail mail. And Latin pop is big in lots of places, not just USA!

And what exactly is Canadian gem Nelly Furtado singing anyway when she sings No Hay Igual??? You can call it "pop" but hey, it's Latin pop!

Of course we should be able to purchase latin music in Canada. What I meant is that we don't have a need for a specific store for latin music. In the US, a sufficient portion of the population is hispanic because of their proximity to Mexico and South America.
In Canada, due to our cultural french background, a French store is justified.

By the way, I love Nelly Furtado's "Fotografia" with Juanes.

Back on topic, there is no access to the main TV Shows store page. Clicking TV Shows takes you to the browsing menus, not the TV shows page.

billabong
Dec 12, 2007, 12:32 AM

I hope they get some of the american networks too.. Maybe some ABC, FOX, please...

Movies too, I would rather movies than TV Shows.

elgruga
Dec 12, 2007, 12:34 AM
Where is the iphone, fer cryin out loud?

I wouldnt mind being able to get decent movies without having to go to the stinkin rogers video store.....

OK, I am downloading 'Corner Gas' and for some strange reason I am getting quite excited!
This is cool!

I hope theres going to be some decent movies....

notjustjay
Dec 12, 2007, 12:56 AM
Err?

I'm not seeing any signs of TV shows anywhere in the Canadian store... ???

Edit: nevermind, found it. Sure don't make it easy to find.

agentkow
Dec 12, 2007, 01:03 AM
Well there is sure some TV shows there now, more selection that I anticipated. Not sure how "The Hills" fits in with all the other Canadian or Canadian Station-aired content, maybe there will be more MTV stuff eventually. Movies is still not working just yet.

ipedro
Dec 12, 2007, 01:13 AM
Well there is sure some TV shows there now, more selection that I anticipated. Not sure how "The Hills" fits in with all the other Canadian or Canadian Station-aired content, maybe there will be more MTV stuff eventually. Movies is still not working just yet.

The Hills fits in because it plays on MTV and CTV's parent company owns MTV Canada. I suspect we'll get a lot of content from CTV since they also own all the former CHUM channels (Much Music, StarTV, SexTV, etc, etc, etc).

Hopefully Global comes into the game soon. They own the rights in Canada to Heroes and Journeyman. Can't wait!

adamyoshida
Dec 12, 2007, 01:26 AM

Just got to apple.com/jobs, choose Canada, choose any of the jobs there (Mac Genius works, for example), then select location, choose British Columbia from the "State" menu (we can get TV shows but not recognition of provinces, sheesh), and then you'll see that the only one available is Pacific Centre.

Ta-da!

Excellent! Thank You. I just sent in application. It might actually pay slightly less than my current job, but working for Apple is absoutely a dream of mine.

Actually, now I see that Mac Geniuses were making $20/hour US back in 2005 - so it would be about at par, even if it would require a longer commute.

Man, that would be pretty sweet for a few years.

Any idea when it opens? If it's towards the middle of the year, that would be absolutely perfect.

Any idea what the formal qualifications for a "Mac Genius" are anyways? I don't have any formal techical certification, but I've been using Macs since the Classic my parents bought when I was eight or so - and I'm proficent enough to have:

1) Twice assembled a complete G3 PowerBook through complete swaps of major components (pulling an LCD from one unit and installing it on another - and swapping logic boards in another case).

2) Disassembled and installed a new hard drive in an eMac (moderately scary).

3) Parted out one G4 PowerBook, repaired another - including a hinge replacement.

Plus, of course, the other more basic stuff.

Hawkeye411
Dec 12, 2007, 05:47 AM
Looks like they JUST added a few more shows.

Dawn Together
Robson Arms
The Sarah Silverman Program
Instant Star

At least I don't remember seeing them earlier.

Cheers.

naftalim
Dec 12, 2007, 07:11 AM
Slim pickings so far, but its a start. Downloaded one episode of Rick Mercer Report and one NHL Final (Flyers vs Oilers 7th game 1987) to see what its like on my iPod Nano "phatty"

First, you get some lady singing (badly) God Bless America, (so much for Canadian content) and then the game. On shots that are filmed higher up, there is some blurring. Close ups are good. I wouldn't watch a full game this way, unless I had to.

Rick Mercer report was much better. Next is Little Mosque on the Prarie. Sorry, Beachcombers not available.

Yvan256
Dec 12, 2007, 08:16 AM
I just watched a few samples of a few shows, and there seems to be a lot of (interlacing?) problems, which is way too visible in cartoons. :mad:

Are the videos encoded by people who even know what they're doing? :confused:

shonline
Dec 12, 2007, 09:03 AM

It IS coming before Christmas - the announcement is anyway...

teflon
Dec 12, 2007, 04:39 PM

Ta-da!

YEAHHHHH!!!! Thank You!! Just in time too! The sky train will probably get finished some time next year then I can get to downtown Vancouver in 30 mins :D.