PDA

View Full Version : First 12 inch PowerBooks Arrive

MacRumors
Sep 29, 2003, 04:53 PM
One reader reports receiving his new 12" PowerBook today, meaning they have started shipping.

QCassidy352
Sep 29, 2003, 04:57 PM
one apple retail store i called told me that they had them in stock, but that they had already sold out, and would be getting more this week.

miradu
Sep 29, 2003, 05:00 PM
Mine is stuck in Alaska custums right now. It is scheduled to arrive wednesday morning via FedEX.

DoubleA100
Sep 29, 2003, 05:32 PM
12 " powerbooks are for babies. You know what they say about the size of you powerbook...

Proud owner of a 17" massive, big boy powerbook!

dswoodley
Sep 29, 2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by DoubleA100
12 " powerbooks are for babies. You know what they say about the size of you powerbook...

This has to be one of the most immature comments i've ever heard. Can we keep the discussion at the adult level? It's fine to support your preferred product, but there is no need for name calling.

etoiles
Sep 29, 2003, 05:42 PM

...do you feel the need to compensate for anything ?
:p
(still waiting for my tiny 12"PB :D )

gunnmjk
Sep 29, 2003, 05:47 PM
my 15" pb has FINALLY reached it hear in Chico, CA, from Taipai. Damn it's been so long. Unfortunately, it's still in the shipping here at my school. Damnit, so I'll either have it here by 5PM today, or tomorrow. tHIS WAIT HAS BEEN SO LONG

dswoodley
Sep 29, 2003, 05:48 PM
good thing you didn't have to wait for a G5! :)

chazmox
Sep 29, 2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by dswoodley
This has to be one of the most immature comments i've ever heard. Can we keep the discussion at the adult level? It's fine to support your preferred product, but there is no need for name calling.

Relax... I think he was joking...

dswoodley
Sep 29, 2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by chazmox
Relax... I think he was joking...

i think that's what the emoticons are for...you know, to denote a joke ;)

DoubleA100
Sep 29, 2003, 06:22 PM

Emoticons are for babies and ladies...and for people who buy 12" powerbooks.

chazmox
Sep 29, 2003, 06:25 PM

Yea, I know the convention is to use the emoticons to denote joking, but I don't always do it because I expect people to just get it... It kind of ruins any humor to have to tell people where the punch line is!

A friend of mine got a 12 inch PB delivered last Friday. She said that she ordered the newest model. I told her to check and make sure that they didn't send her an old one as it seemed a little early, but who knows, maybe she got one of the firsts!

dswoodley
Sep 29, 2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by chazmox
Yea, I know the convention is to use the emoticons to denote joking, but I don't always do it because I expect people to just get it... It kind of ruins any humor to have to tell people where the punch line is!

A friend of mine got a 12 inch PB delivered last Friday. She said that she ordered the newest model. I told her to check and make sure that they didn't send her an old one as it seemed a little early, but who knows, maybe she got one of the firsts!

Not to be a downer, but obviously not everyone gets it when you don't use them!! :)

dswoodley
Sep 29, 2003, 06:37 PM
Emoticons are for babies and ladies...and for people who buy 12" powerbooks.

don't forget about people who add depth to the gene pool...and like 12" powerbooks :o

tizza
Sep 29, 2003, 06:54 PM
I was going to get the 12" but ended up going for the 15" and it came two days later - I was amazed ... and this is down here in Oz!!

Still glad to hear the 12"s are out now too - I haven't regretted getting the new PB once - it's a truly sweet machine. :D

Lord Bodak
Sep 29, 2003, 07:59 PM
This is a sore subject for some of us; they have been shipping in a strange order. Many reports are coming from people who ordered theirs on 9/16 after the keynote who are receiving theirs, when many others (myself included) who ordered as early as the 4th (or the 10th in my case) are still waiting for shipment.

But from what I hear, the new 12" is great! Can't wait to get mine!

danielgrenell
Sep 29, 2003, 08:07 PM
that's exciting, i have a 15 on the way, and i've seen pictures of people who've gotten those, so i'm happy! the apple site says it will ship out at the latest on the 30th, and i have 2 day shipping, so it'll be here on the 2nd, at the latest!

tiernanray
Sep 29, 2003, 08:35 PM
I'm also still waiting for a 15" powerbook, ordered Sept. 20th. It was a custom build, though. The mini saga is here (http://tiernan.net/whoknows.html).

fratrow
Sep 29, 2003, 08:44 PM
This makes me (unhappy)...

I ordered mine within 30 minutes of the announcement, and my ship date has been upped to 10/3/03.

Arrrrgh!

Lord Bodak
Sep 29, 2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by fratrow
This makes me (unhappy)...

I ordered mine within 30 minutes of the announcement, and my ship date has been upped to 10/3/03.

Arrrrgh!

Hey, I ordered mine 6 days before the announcement, and mine is also 10/3. :confused:

miradu
Sep 29, 2003, 09:50 PM
I want to add that my Powerbook has made it out of custums, and has no been moved up to tommorow morning to receive. Too bad I don't get home until 7 pm tommorow! :(

I ordered mine the day after the announcement, but I'm an education user. That might of moved me up in priority.

dho
Sep 29, 2003, 10:09 PM
gunnmjk:

considering the time it has taken to get the g5's shiped I wouldn't feel too impatient if I were you.

Because after-all 3 months shiptime is "normal":D

be sure to tell us about it when you get it

edit:

note to self...

read ALL posts before posting

jasylonian
Sep 29, 2003, 11:22 PM
I ordered mine the morning after the announcement and I've been pushed back to the 3rd. I think it's because Apple hates me. I got a 10gig ipod a couple days ago and I'm just playing solitaire until my pb comes to give it some meaning. I was also wondering how all you people know that your shipping options have changed?

Raz
Sep 30, 2003, 12:26 AM
Yea, I got my 10gig iPod a few days ago, and apple also postponed my PB12 to the 3rd, and im in canada so their overnight shipping is 3-6 days :-/ Either way, I did call and bitch and atleast Im getting my overnight shipping money back (22 dollars) but I have a secret plan to call and whine once Panther is out - I want it for free for having to wait :( I ordered... a LONG time ago ... I think atleast three weeks ish if not longer.

- Rasmus

Phil Of Mac
Sep 30, 2003, 01:43 AM

At Macworld Expo, an adventurous Mac User tries a new pick-up line:

"They say that guys who buy big PowerBooks are trying to compensate for something. Baby, I don't even HAVE a PowerBook!"

DrGonzo
Sep 30, 2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Lord Bodak
Hey, I ordered mine 6 days before the announcement, and mine is also 10/3. :confused:

that's because they're shipping yours and others with a g5.

iHack
Sep 30, 2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by dho
gunnmjk:

considering the time it has taken to get the g5's shiped I wouldn't feel too impatient if I were you.

Because after-all 3 months shiptime is "normal":D

be sure to tell us about it when you get it

Is this about 'the emoticon denotes a joke so people will get it'? And did you get it? Now I'm curious... :p

M.

PS. if a joke is so lame it needs an emoticon for people to get it, reconsider posting it. Shucks, that goes for this post too. Sorry about that.
I thought that emoticons were an awkward way to replace body language, which of course is utterly absent in a forum like this... *shrugs*

Shadey
Sep 30, 2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
At Macworld Expo, an adventurous Mac User tries a new pick-up line:

"They say that guys who buy big PowerBooks are trying to compensate for something. Baby, I don't even HAVE a PowerBook!"

This would have been much funnier if you would have used one of these: :D

jkeithh
Sep 30, 2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by danielgrenell
that's exciting, i have a 15 on the way, and i've seen pictures of people who've gotten those, so i'm happy! the apple site says it will ship out at the latest on the 30th, and i have 2 day shipping, so it'll be here on the 2nd, at the latest!

If you ordered from Apple, the standard 2 day shipping they are upgrading everyone to is 2nd day once it reaches the US and clears Customs. Mine was shipped from Taiwan on the 22nd and I still don't have it.

clr2lnd
Sep 30, 2003, 08:57 AM

sounds to me like you're trying to compensate for something that might not be quite UP to par.

martijnvandijk
Sep 30, 2003, 09:00 AM
Just gave the Apple Store a call, because my 15'' PB was supposed to be here already (ordered on september 18th).

However, because of shortage of AE cards, it is now due for delivery somewhere early in the week of the 13th of October :(

I can't wait anymore!!!:mad:

clr2lnd
Sep 30, 2003, 09:03 AM
This is a sore subject for some of us; they have been shipping in a strange order. Many reports are coming from people who ordered theirs on 9/16 after the keynote who are receiving theirs, when many others (myself included) who ordered as early as the 4th (or the 10th in my case) are still waiting for shipment.

But from what I hear, the new 12" is great! Can't wait to get mine!

i ordered mine on the 3rd of sept. but have not received it yet. the free upgrade to 1GHz model has made it worth the wait, don't you think?

Mcgack
Sep 30, 2003, 09:31 AM
When I ordered my 12" powerbook from an independant retailer, he said that if I ordered it with the 1gb module of ram it'd take a quite cause those modules aren't readily available yet, not even to apple. So that might be the cause of some people's delays.
-nick

Mcgack
Sep 30, 2003, 09:33 AM
"...it'd take quite a while..." What I meant to write. right.
-nick

Ja Di ksw
Sep 30, 2003, 10:11 AM
slightly off topic, but does anyone know if there's a way to put in a better video card in the powerbooks? I know you can't order a better one to come with it, but I was wondering if you could open it up and put in one yourself. Never owned a powerbook, unfortunately, but I am definitely thinking of getting one. I just wanted it to have a better video card when I got it.

Lord Bodak
Sep 30, 2003, 10:12 AM
My 12" just shipped via Fed-Ex from Taiwan. I ordered 9/10 (and was upgraded to the new model 9/16).

It's a combo, 60 gig hard drive, Airport Extreme.

Fed-Ex tracking says it should be delivered Friday morning :D

Lord Bodak
Sep 30, 2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Ja Di ksw
slightly off topic, but does anyone know if there's a way to put in a better video card in the powerbooks? I know you can't order a better one to come with it, but I was wondering if you could open it up and put in one yourself. Never owned a powerbook, unfortunately, but I am definitely thinking of getting one. I just wanted it to have a better video card when I got it.

The 15" and 17" have a Radeon 9600. Doesn't get much better than that :D

Ja Di ksw
Sep 30, 2003, 10:36 AM
The 15" and 17" have a Radeon 9600. Doesn't get much better than that :D

Fair enough, but I still wasn't sure which model to get, and was leaning towards the 12" :(

JohninMontreal
Sep 30, 2003, 10:45 AM
Hi,

New to these forums...

Shipping date of my 15" (ordered Sept. 20) has just been bumped from Sept. 29 to Oct. 6.

Funny if it's because of a shortage of AE cards (as was mentioned earlier)... I ordered an AE base at the same time and that arrived last week.

Gus
Sep 30, 2003, 10:47 AM
Yep, got my 12" PB yesterday around 9 AM CDT.

I think if you ordered through the Ed Stoe you were given priority, because I ordered on 9/16, and got it fairly quickly.

Love this machine!!!!

Finally, WarCraft II with no lags. Whew!

Regards,
Gus

FlamDrag
Sep 30, 2003, 10:59 AM
Good news for those who ordered early.

Guys with big powerbooks are likely trying to compensate for something alright.

I'm trying to compensate for the lack of an external monitor to use in extended desktop mode - especially one that travels.

trox355
Sep 30, 2003, 11:43 AM
I ordered mine on the 17th and my date has been bumped from the 26th to 10/3. For me, at least, the ed store doesn't seem to be getting any priority. 12", Superdrive, AE, 256MB Base RAM. 60GB. The sooner for me the better, we have fall break next week and I want it before then. This is my first PowerBook and I am very excited!

To those who have recieved theirs, how long does transit take after shipment?

noverflow
Sep 30, 2003, 11:49 AM
my work got 6 or more in yesterday to go to the floor.
If you live in tucson we have them in stock.

chickengrease16
Sep 30, 2003, 11:53 AM
i visited the apple store at CompUSA in Tallahassee, FL yesterday, Sept 29, and they had all of the new model powerbooks (1GHz 12", 1.25GHz 15", and 1.33GHz 17") and they had a few in stock. i asked the lady about it and theyve had them for a few days apparently. also, they've got a good supply of 1.6 and 1.8GHz powermac G5s, but are still waiting on the dual 2.0. i also got to use the isight. not too shabby, but the colors weren't very vivid at all. my crappy intel webcam has better colors than it... or maybe it was just a bad model or there was some setting set or something. who knows...

jkeithh
Sep 30, 2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Yep, got my 12" PB yesterday around 9 AM CDT.

I think if you ordered through the Ed Stoe you were given priority, because I ordered on 9/16, and got it fairly quickly.

Love this machine!!!!

Finally, WarCraft II with no lags. Whew!

Regards,
Gus

I ordered my 15" Powerbook through the Educational Store on the 17th and still do not have it (and it is a standard config) so apparently they did not give all Educational people priority.

mxpiazza
Sep 30, 2003, 12:32 PM
well, i learned my lesson with ordering from the apple store with the g5. i bought ordered a 1.8 stock g5 from the apple store edu style, and i walked into the easton apple store and they were in stock when my ship date got pushed back to 3 weeks after that... needless to say i just cancelled my order and picked one up at the store. i'm sure that'll be the case with a lot of people.

things to note with the delays: airport extreme cards as well as 1GB mem chips are the main causes of delays here, so expect a wait if you ordered these components. if you ordered a stock machine, expect to get yours first, regardless of when you ordered it.

hexcalibur
Sep 30, 2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by trox355
I ordered mine on the 17th and my date has been bumped from the 26th to 10/3.

I ordered the exact same configuration, trox, and mine was bumped to Oct. 3 too. That is, until this morning, when it shipped via FedEx. :D

It looks like the 60GB BTO models are starting to roll off the assembly line, so keep your fingers crossed and try to limit your visits to the order status page to one every couple of hours.

FedEx thinks they'll have the powerbook here (Vancouver) by Friday lunch. Which suggests a staggeringly unproductive weekend awaits me.

jasylonian
Sep 30, 2003, 02:12 PM
never again shall i plan my trips according to when i'm supposed to have my apple products.:(

trox355
Sep 30, 2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by hexcalibur
Which suggests a staggeringly unproductive weekend awaits me.

Hooray! I just logged on to check my email to find that it had been shipped and FedEx estimates it here before Friday lunch as well. I realize now why I didn't schedule any classes for myself after 11:30 on Fridays ;) . Good luck to the rest, and I hope you will get yours soon!

Pete

yujini
Sep 30, 2003, 05:08 PM
My edu store today got at least 9 12inch powerbooks today. They said they ordered about 100 15inch powerbooks too.

no lag on warcraft 2? It's a 2d game from the 90s. There's no way a 867mhz wouldn't have been able to run it smoothly. Maybe you were talking about warcraft 3? :)

The only laptop where you can upgrade your graphics card is the voodoopc/alienware laptops i think.

I know for sure that you cant upgrade your graphics card for apple powerbooks/ibooks. (and yes, it kinda sux that the new 12inches didn't get the 9600. One reason why i'm going to get the 15inch when panther gets released)

jasylonian
Sep 30, 2003, 05:34 PM
my 12" battery order just got delayed as well... does this mean that apple doesn't have enough 12" batteries, or are they just going to send it with the pb (if and) when it ships?

Peej
Sep 30, 2003, 05:53 PM
I ordered it on the 17th through Ed Store and got it yesterday. It's so sweet! They had changed my shipping date from 9.25 to 10.3 but when I called them they said that Apple would probably send it sooner, and it went out on the 26th. I went with the 12" combo drive stock, b/c I figured that any customizations would kill my ship time. I'll pick up an AE card and RAM from mac-warehouse, and an extra battery if needs dictate. I also went with the 2-day shipping, and it shipped fedex. Also, I called about the Apple Education Bundle offer and they told me that as long as it was purchased by the 27th, I would have 30 days from the ship date to complete the rebate. So, my printer shipped UPS right away from Cali, the iPod shipped Airborne the next day from Asia, and the 12" shipped like I said, and they only charged me $22. All in all it's been a pleasant experience, and I'm really looking forward to loading Protools, and the Adobe Creative Suite and seeing how well this little baby runs! By the way, My Dell 5100 laptop that my lab owns and I use looks like a Univac in comparison. Viva les Macs!!:D

miradu
Sep 30, 2003, 05:58 PM
Got it today. I'm a switcher, and I jsut dont' see why I didn't switch faster.

Submerged
Sep 30, 2003, 06:03 PM
It seems as though all people from Canada are not getting their orders shipped with priority over all others. I am very upset that my order has been idling in an open staus for nearly a month now. It was nice of them to upgrade me, but come on!

blueBomber
Sep 30, 2003, 06:04 PM
{irrelavant comment}

T.Rex
Sep 30, 2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Submerged
It seems as though all people from Canada are not getting their orders shipped with priority over all others. I am very upset that my order has been idling in an open staus for nearly a month now. It was nice of them to upgrade me, but come on!

Well, I type this to you now the proud owner of a new 12" from lovely downtown Toronto, so they are obviously shipping some orders here. However, I'm a student and ordered through the UofT campus computer store, so that may have given me priority.

Some things to note on this new baby, it's running 10.2.7 which if I recall was at first thought only to be for the new G5's? Though I may be wrong. Also, I'm not sure if previous PB's had this, but on the F7 key there is a graphic of two offset rectangles - am I wrong in thinking this may have something to do with Panther's Expose feature? Or I could be totally wrong on both counts...

trox355
Sep 30, 2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by T.Rex
on the F7 key there is a graphic of two offset rectangles - am I wrong in thinking this may have something to do with Panther's Expose feature?

At our campus' Mac Users Group, a rep from Apple came to demo both a new G5 and a prerelease version of Panther. The F7 key does control a function of expose to answer your question. I must say, after a preview of it, it is SWEEEEET! Hopefully the rumors are true and we will get panther sometime next month.

BrandonRP0123
Sep 30, 2003, 08:55 PM
The thought of those people whom buy expensive cars to compensate for things come to mind...

Seriously - the correlation between manhood size and (the fact) that one could think another is inferior by the size of their computer (!) is amazing to me.

Then again, it's human material nature. Sure, you are such a man with your 17" powerbook. You can go ahead and think that. Works for me. I own a 12" powerbook, however, and it works perfectly for my business and pleasurable computing needs.

NicoMan
Oct 1, 2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Ja Di ksw
Fair enough, but I still wasn't sure which model to get, and was leaning towards the 12" :(
I'd say no you can't change the graphics card. BTW even though the FX5200Go is no Radeon Mobility 9600, it should be much better than anything previously available in PowerBooks. The 32MB shouldn't be a problem, because the resolution on the 12" is only 1024*768.
Let us know how it goes and if UT2003 runs well on it.

Peej
Oct 1, 2003, 01:55 AM

Steve Jobs is such a hoser, eh?:)

ExoticFish
Oct 1, 2003, 09:09 AM
ah, take off ya hoser! ;)

frank stallone
Oct 1, 2003, 09:49 AM
i ordered a pb 12" yesterday, i couldnt wait any longer for panther rumors to pan out :)
does anyone know from experience though, if panther is announced before my pb gets shipped will they upgrade it or at least throw in a coupon for a free upgrade? i called apple and they "know nothing", but i thought maybe some of you might know....

Submerged
Oct 1, 2003, 12:33 PM
Firstly, I didn't come here to be mocked; but rather to see if anyone was in the same boat as me. I hope your comments towards Canada are all in good fun, afterall, do I have a choice where I was born?

peterL
Oct 1, 2003, 12:52 PM
Can you get the educational discount at an apple store, or only online? Also, at the store, can you get any options, like a bigger hard drive, or do they only do the stock configs?

T.Rex
Oct 1, 2003, 12:57 PM
I hope your comments towards Canada are all in good fun, afterall, do I have a choice where I was born?

Nope. It just so happens you are one of the lucky .3% of the global population to be born in the best place to live in the world! :D

Also, I'm pretty sure those yanks were just, uh, yanking your chain. :)

Phil Of Mac
Oct 1, 2003, 01:43 PM
Firstly, I didn't come here to be mocked; but rather to see if anyone was in the same boat as me. I hope your comments towards Canada are all in good fun, afterall, do I have a choice where I was born?

We make fun of you Canadians just because we love you :)

Besides, you guys won the War of 1812, we have to get along with you! :D

ExoticFish
Oct 1, 2003, 02:03 PM

hey hey hey now, canada rocks! i live just across lake erie over here in ohio and i have nothing but good things to say about canada, especially the dialect! :D

Peej
Oct 1, 2003, 05:20 PM

All in good fun, I hope. I love Canada. In fact, I stayed up until 1am to watch "Kids in the Hall" on Comedy Central. You've got Shadowy Men From a Shadowy Planet, and a bunch of other amazing bands. So, Canada's a great place to be. Besides, I'm from California. Fire away. I'm used to it.

:)

peej

VIREBEL661
Oct 2, 2003, 12:22 AM

Kind of like the truck analogy - the larger your truck, the smaller your... You get the picture... I LOVE the 12" PB... I wish I could buy one right now... I really like the whole power in a small package thing! Like a high tech little pocket rocket - ultraportables are awesome...

Phil Of Mac
Oct 2, 2003, 12:31 AM
I would be happy with a 12 inch PowerBook, but I needed the backlit keyboard and the Radeon 9600. And the widescreen.

ophiuchus
Oct 3, 2003, 04:59 AM
I have now received two emails from Apple saying the delivery of the Powerbook 12" has been further delayed. Here we go again, Apple always being late in delivering their new equipment... I will stick with Apple but they could learn a lot about contacting their customers in a nicer way, not just 'it's delayed, best wishes blah blah blah'. No phone number, email address, zilch. grrrr
Additionally even though the iPod is ready they won't ship it to me because I paid with a credit card, which means that all has to be sent at the same time. GREAT!

[CoRdOvA]
Oct 3, 2003, 05:57 AM
I realise that this is a 12" topic, but the 1GB chips were mentioned...
i ordered my 15" on the 18th Sep... but i also included a 1GB chip... and i have a feeling that the '2-3 weeks' time delivery that i was told is not so reliable.... 2 weeks have gone already... if i am thinking i will be getting it some time next week, is this wishful thinking?? are these chips actually available at all?, or just in low supply...:confused: i am losing sleep waiting for this machine!!! :o
oh yeah, and im in australia too... often things are delayed here. :rolleyes:
any ideas or comments greatly appreciated!:)

martijnvandijk
Oct 3, 2003, 06:11 AM
my 15'' that I've also ordered on the 18th, with 1 Gig RAM and 5200 rpm HD is expected to ship late next week. So I guess that I can expect it to be here (netherlands) early somewhere in the week after that (14th/15th October?)

If I were you, I would count on something like the same planning

Oh well, i've already been waiting for 9 months or so to get this machine, so this extra week I'll manage to get through....

clr2lnd
Oct 3, 2003, 08:00 AM
i ordered the 12" 1ghz pb w/768mb on sept. 3. i checked my order tracking page at the apple web site and it said my order had shipped this morning:D :D :D :D :D they shipped it fedex and have a tracking # posted. talk about a long wait. they have not sent me an email conformation yet, however.

ophiuchus
Oct 4, 2003, 09:01 AM
Well after one hell of a tantrum down the phone to apple (and plenty of waiting to talk to somone for days...) i got my shipment a priority status. I know it's left Taipei today. There is still hope that I will see it next week!!!:)

ExoticFish
Oct 14, 2003, 04:45 PM
well, I ordered mine on the 26th of September and it shipped on Saturday so in a couple of days I can be happy once again.

m.r.m.
Oct 25, 2003, 10:20 AM
hi all. :)

this is my first post. ive been lurking for some time. ill be getting my very first mac on the 11th of november (12" alu powerbook). im quite excited. i look forward to dicovering "what this mac thingy is all about!" ;) :D