PDA

View Full Version : how dare WIRED reccommend ZUNE 80G over iPod classic? MacDailyNews lose it.

clevin
Dec 11, 2007, 03:47 PM
http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/15752/

MDN is so mad. lol, but still, I hope they consider behaving more maturely...

DarthTreydor
Dec 11, 2007, 05:17 PM
beware the angry fanboys

Padraig
Dec 11, 2007, 06:18 PM
Wow!! Somebody's thrown their toys out the pram. That was the first time, and probably last time, i'll go to MDN.

Buran
Dec 11, 2007, 06:42 PM
Good grief. And I thought people on THIS site (and other Mac user forums) were biased! Heaven forbid anyone have a different opinion! So basically anyone who doesn't agree with these peoples' biased opinion is an idiot -- and worse? Talk about some people needing to be fired.

G5Unit
Dec 11, 2007, 06:47 PM
Wow that was the most unprofessional professional website I have ever seen.

Yet they did point out some things. The Zune has to be plugged into the power outlet in order to sync wirelessly? That defeats the purpose.

Also, the who burning DVD's thing, not a very strong argument there.

heatmiser
Dec 11, 2007, 06:48 PM
This is what happens when people attach their identities to material objects.

davidjearly
Dec 11, 2007, 06:59 PM
Despite the way the story was presented, I actually think that MDN has a point.

I agree that there are advantages to both devices, and each have their flaws. However, the benefits of the Zune that Wired highlighted do seem to be very misleading.

Muncher
Dec 11, 2007, 07:00 PM
Amazing just how crazy the world can get, when you dive into the deep end...

One thing did catch my eye though: how the hell could they leave out battery life in a review of an MP3 player?! That would be one of the most important things I'd look at before buying.

Schtumple
Dec 11, 2007, 07:03 PM
God that article made me laugh, gotta love the mega fanbois, can they bow down to apple any harder?

very VERY unprofessional.

Willis
Dec 11, 2007, 07:14 PM
...scary how some people behave sometimes...

worse than others on here. Although, I still wouldnt have a Zune... saying that, I've never seen anyone with one

solvs
Dec 11, 2007, 07:23 PM

They had a lot of good points, but the way it was presented ruined all of that.

Phobophobia
Dec 11, 2007, 08:26 PM
They had a lot of good points, but the way it was presented ruined all of that.

Exactly. The name-calling and insults are so childish.

GSMiller
Dec 11, 2007, 08:27 PM

I agree that there are advantages to both devices, and each have their flaws. However, the benefits of the Zune that Wired highlighted do seem to be very misleading.

I agree. For instance, MDN states how iTunes lost NBC shows and YET the Zune Marketplace doesn't sell any TV shows whatsoever. Make the Zune Mac compatible and then I will consider it as a threat to the iPod.

davedecay
Dec 11, 2007, 10:01 PM
Before I'd buy a Zune, I'd buy an Archos.

$155 gets you:
Archos 504 40GB 500869 Portable Multimedia Player 3.5", 4.3" screen, 5.5 Hours Video, Factory Refurbished

The Archos 504 40GB Digital Media Player has a large capacity and large screen Portable Multimedia Player, which supports all standard video formats in full DVD resolution. The bright, 4.3-inch TFT screen with 16 million colors, ideal for watching videos and viewing photos. Watch DVD-quality video playback on your TV with the optional DVR station. Also, record directly from TV in high-quality MPEG-4 with optional DVR station. PDF document viewer. Audio recording - Voice recording through the built-in Microphone. USB 2.0 High-Speed Device Interfaces (backwards compatible with USB 1.1) 3.5 mm stereo headphone mini-jack connections and TV output (Audio/Video cable not included). Battery life - Up to 17 hours Music playback time, up to 5.5 hours Video playback time on built-in LCD. System requirements - Windows ME, 2000, XP or higher, Mac OS 10.3.9 and Linux with mass storage device support.

bloodycape
Dec 12, 2007, 11:45 AM
Sorry but the 504 has terrible sound quality compared to these two devices. Not to mention the 605 is way better, by including a cleaner screen, and way better sound.

Virgil-TB2
Dec 12, 2007, 11:55 AM
beware the angry fanboysMDN always struck me as fangirls.

They go much higher on the emotional hysteria scale than most die-hard fans, but on the other hand they are rarely angry, violent, or vituperative about it like many fanboys are.

Edit: How's that for a grossly over-generalised gender-biased comment? :)

Osarkon
Dec 12, 2007, 12:01 PM
They make some valid points, but do so in such a childish and unprofessional manner that that was the first and last time I shall feel the need to visit their website.

gkarris
Dec 12, 2007, 12:06 PM
I want an MP3 player with a "squircle"! :mad:

(runs off crying...)

bluebomberman
Dec 12, 2007, 12:12 PM
Not to defend the stupid namecalling, but it must be emphasized that the Wired article is really bad.

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/portablemusic/news/2007/12/megaplayer_smackdown

killerrobot
Dec 12, 2007, 12:28 PM

Quoted for truth.

Reminds me of when someone actually stands up to a bully, and then they go crying to their momma. The metaphor being iPod is the bully, and the Zune finally got some respect and...the deeper metaphor is the MDN was the bully, Wired stood up against them and now MDN is crying like a baby. Or something like all of that combined.

"I am not attached to this car. I am not attached to this car"
--Det. Charlie Cruise

FoxyKaye
Dec 12, 2007, 04:29 PM
Very immature MDN.

But really, Wired readers are probably already savvy enough to think for themselves, regardless of what Wired picks. And what's the worst that could happen? An uptick in "NIB" Zune sales on Craigslist and eBay.

Or to quote Lucius Malfoy, "Now let's everybody just... calm down. Shall we?"

Eraserhead
Dec 12, 2007, 05:02 PM
Well Wired got the Zune's price wrong by $50, its $249 like the iPod. Though the Wired article really is an awful.

solvs
Dec 12, 2007, 11:55 PM
but it must be emphasized that the Wired article is really bad.
Sadly these days that goes without saying.

Quillz
Dec 13, 2007, 12:01 AM
Seriously. I can't stand these damn Apple fanboys, they turn electronic devices into idols for their religion. So what if one source recommends the Zune over the iPod? There are many valid reasons why I'd even recommend the Zune over the iPod, but at the same time, there are an equal number of reasons why I'm sticking with the iPod. Is there some kind of new law that says one must buy a Zune? If you don't like the review, guess what? Go read another one. And another one. Until you find the one that meets your biased conclusion.

Koodauw
Dec 13, 2007, 12:18 AM
I think sometimes a good tongue lashing is needed, wether it is perceived as immature or not.

DaftUnion
Dec 13, 2007, 03:48 AM
I was trying to put out the flames in that article with my fire extinguisher, but I got third degree burns first.

Ha. I favorited that...pure ridiculous how, dare I say it (fanboy/girl) they are. I've never used that word on here, but that's the definition right there.

Edit: Oh wow...from Wired:

"Zune 2 Hell yes, the new Zune freaking rocks. This year I'm giving the gift of squirting. 3354

iPod Classic Hell no Wired, you're puffing on PCP. The iPod is the superior media player now and forever."

Seriously, what the hell were both of these writers on from both sites now? Just wow...wow.

SXR
Dec 16, 2007, 07:43 AM
I love the article about Ferment and Dumbass ;) nice read.

Sesshi
Dec 16, 2007, 07:58 AM
Like 99.999% of Apple fanboys, whoever writes MacDailyNews doesn't even bother to go and actually look at the competition. Do bears crap in the woods?

I see it obviously in Microsoft fanboys as well, but never to the same completely blinkered, new religion-type extent as I see it among a much larger majority of Apple owners. Quite a surprise at first, have to tell you - but maybe not in hindsight, as I've worked with many would-be hippies who turn out to be even more intolerant than those they're opposing.

darklyt
Dec 16, 2007, 09:20 AM
All the MDN writer did in writing that article was give a voice to the thousands who get pissed off when the competition lies to get ahead. Can't say I really blame the writer after I've spent years of arguing with my friends (we were high school kids) about Macs vs PCs. He could have been... a little more restrained, I suppose, but I have a feeling he has been arguing against the evil empire for so long now that it's hard to stop. Even when you're the one sitting on the stronger side of the marketshare.

SactoGuy18
Dec 16, 2007, 09:40 AM
I've actually played with the new 80 GB Zune (yes, there shortages for this player are finally gone!) and it's actually a pretty nice player in terms of hardware, with easy-to-master controls and excellent sound quality. But Microsoft still has a ways to go in terms of interface software compared to the current iTunes 7.5 software.

wordmunger
Dec 16, 2007, 09:43 AM
Wired has a point: The 80 GB classic is a tired offering, almost an afterthought from Apple as it introduced the iPhone and the Touch. But the Zune isn't a better product. The real answer to "which should I buy?" is neither.

solvs
Dec 16, 2007, 10:31 AM
(yes, there shortages for this player are finally gone!)
There was another article somewhere about how they under produced them because of low demand, but ironically thanks to price cuts, there actually was a market.

chris200x9
Dec 16, 2007, 11:05 AM
Not to defend the stupid namecalling, but it must be emphasized that the Wired article is really bad.

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/portablemusic/news/2007/12/megaplayer_smackdown

Wow when I read the MDN article I thought they were just highlighting the bad points, but that was the whole article. All I have to say is, me, personally I would be ashamed to have written either.

bleedinghand
Dec 17, 2007, 08:29 PM
No competiton, no advancement!

I hope both of them would be better and better...