PDA

View Full Version : My wife: iPod destroyer

iSaint
Dec 13, 2007, 06:15 AM
I gave my wife my old 3G iPod two years ago so I could order a 5G. She spilled water on it within the first few weeks. It worked well enough for a couple of years, but died recently.

So, she's been exercising recently. I gave her my 5G iPod knowing I would get a new Classic for upcoming birthday/Christmas. It was roughed up the first week, with little scratches all over. Yesterday, you guessed it, she dropped it on concrete and killed the iPod. Sad iPod icon!

We may get the hard drive replaced. Apple service is around $150. She's also getting a large rubber case to seal it up for further use!

Any other iPod destroyer stories abound?

iCantwait
Dec 13, 2007, 06:24 AM
I gave my wife my old 3G iPod two years ago so I could order a 5G. She spilled water on it within the first few weeks. It worked well enough for a couple of years, but died recently.

So, she's been exercising recently. I gave her my 5G iPod knowing I would get a new Classic for upcoming birthday/Christmas. It was roughed up the first week, with little scratches all over. Yesterday, you guessed it, she dropped it on concrete and killed the iPod. Sad iPod icon!

We may get the hard drive replaced. Apple service is around $150. She's also getting a large rubber case to seal it up for further use!

i wet my nano, it got replaced, TIP, use metholated spirits, and leave 1 week to dry before pretend there is a genuine problem

Stampyhead
Dec 13, 2007, 09:17 AM
My niece is an iPod destroyer. Between the ages of 12 and 14 she's had a total of 4 iPods. A 1G nano went through the wash before she remembered it was in her pocket. Another 1G nano took a dive into the swimming pool because she forgot she had set it on top of her towel. My old 5G video iPod that I gave her when I got a new one has been dropped many times and is dented and scratched almost beyond recognition. She now has an iPhone and says that she is really careful with it, but we'll wait and see if it meets the same fate as the others...
She's gone through at least as many cell phones...

Super Macho Man
Dec 13, 2007, 10:31 AM
Kill your wife - problem solved!

davedecay
Dec 13, 2007, 11:05 AM
You folks need a Speck Toughskin or Armorskin, though for water resistance you'll need an Otterbox.

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/toughskin/ipod-touch/108
http://www.speckproducts.com/products/armorskin/ipod-classic/113

http://www.otterbox.com/products/ipod_cases/ipod-classic-case-level3/

$50 for the Otter is less than $250-$350 for a new iPod.

mrsilkunderwear
Dec 13, 2007, 12:12 PM
Search ipods on craigslist, sometimes i would see ipods for as low as 120.

pianoman
Dec 13, 2007, 12:31 PM
your wife might benefit from an iPod shuffle. one of my more destructive friends has one (he's gone through 3 iPods in 2 years, the shuffle being the fourth) and it's lasted longer than the others (a video and two nanos, i think).

iSaint
Dec 13, 2007, 12:31 PM

If I could find a redheaded replacement...

You folks need a Speck Toughskin or Armorskin, though for water resistance you'll need an Otterbox.

http://www.speckproducts.com/product...ipod-touch/108
http://www.speckproducts.com/product...od-classic/113

http://www.otterbox.com/products/ipo...c-case-level3/

$50 for the Otter is less than $250-$350 for a new iPod.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to put it into something bulky! Thanks for the links.

Phuz01
Dec 13, 2007, 06:13 PM
My niece is an iPod destroyer. Between the ages of 12 and 14 she's had a total of 4 iPods. A 1G nano went through the wash before she remembered it was in her pocket. Another 1G nano took a dive into the swimming pool because she forgot she had set it on top of her towel. My old 5G video iPod that I gave her when I got a new one has been dropped many times and is dented and scratched almost beyond recognition. She now has an iPhone and says that she is really careful with it, but we'll wait and see if it meets the same fate as the others...
She's gone through at least as many cell phones...

Did you ever think that her parents may be enabling her bad behavior? If I gave my kid an iPod and he sent it through the wash, he'd have to earn the money and buy his own the next time. Then he'd have an appreciation for the fact that expensive toys don't just magically appear. The last thing I'd do is reward his irresponsible behavior by buying him something even more expensive.

If you really care about your iPod, you won't lose it. I've iPods for almost 4 years, take one everywhere I go (except for the beach) and have never so much as dropped one. And the people who purchased my used iPods (I've sold 2 to subsidize upgrades) comment that they looked as good as new.

With this girl, it started with cell phones, now it's iPods. How long before it's cars or men? Good children turn into irresponsible adults, and this is a perfect example of how it happens.

akm3
Dec 13, 2007, 07:17 PM
If I could find a redheaded replacement...

Yeah, I'm definitely going to put it into something bulky! Thanks for the links.

Ahh yes Product (WIFE) Red

Good choice!

ezekielrage_99
Dec 13, 2007, 07:27 PM
Ahh yes Product (WIFE) Red

Good choice!

And then all you need is iCook, iClean and iSex then you're set.

Sun Baked
Dec 13, 2007, 07:30 PM

Nah, But "iPod Destroyer" would make a good t-shirt. :p

Who knows, he might get a good deal if he calls up one of the iPod case companies and tells them about his wife the iPod killer.

If their case case prevent her iPod rampage, it definitely would be worth a testimonial on their site.

Buttercookie
Dec 14, 2007, 07:59 AM
Did you ever think that her parents may be enabling her bad behavior? If I gave my kid an iPod and he sent it through the wash, he'd have to earn the money and buy his own the next time. Then he'd have an appreciation for the fact that expensive toys don't just magically appear. The last thing I'd do is reward his irresponsible behavior by buying him something even more expensive.

If you really care about your iPod, you won't lose it. I've iPods for almost 4 years, take one everywhere I go (except for the beach) and have never so much as dropped one. And the people who purchased my used iPods (I've sold 2 to subsidize upgrades) comment that they looked as good as new.

With this girl, it started with cell phones, now it's iPods. How long before it's cars or men? Good children turn into irresponsible adults, and this is a perfect example of how it happens.I wish more people realized this.

JSchwage
Dec 14, 2007, 08:28 AM
I swear, some people will destroy anything electronic the moment you put it in their hands or soon thereafter. I can't tell you how many times I've seen kids throw or drop their cellphones. And then there's the people who toss around their full-size iPods (with hard drives in them!) like they're hackysacks or something.

Stampyhead
Dec 14, 2007, 10:08 AM

With this girl, it started with cell phones, now it's iPods. How long before it's cars or men? Good children turn into irresponsible adults, and this is a perfect example of how it happens.

Yes, yes it's true. I probably helped to enable her when I gave her the 5G, but I just felt bad for her. It's not that she didn't care, she's just really scatterbrained. The crazy thing is she bought the second Nano with her own money. After the first one died she was told she'd have to get it herself if she wanted another one. And it was that second one went through the wash (the first one ended up in the pool). She seems to have matured a bit, though, upon getting the iPhone. She treats it like something valuable and gets upset if it even gets a scratch on it. So far so good, so maybe she's finally growing up.
The part about cars or men made me laugh. I'm picturing 20 years down the road when she's on her 4th marriage and she's thinking, 'if only I'd been more responsible with my iPod...'

deputy_doofy
Dec 15, 2007, 11:34 AM

There is a reason my wife is not allowed to touch my Macbook Pro. :p

That-Is-Bull
Dec 15, 2007, 11:44 AM
Yesterday, you guessed it, she dropped it on concrete and killed the iPod.

She dropped it on concrete and that killed it? I've had mine for a couple years. It's completely covered in scratches, I've dropped it many, many times (often on concrete or hard floors) while it was on and playing a song, and I somehow spilled a lot of super glue on the face of it. Aside from being a little hard to read and the menu button being glued up for awhile, it still works perfectly.

yeroen
Dec 15, 2007, 11:54 AM

Speaking from my experience with women, she's probably not too impressed with getting a hand-me-down while you go off and buy yourself a new toy. Frankly that it got destroyed serves you right for not buying her a new one to begin with, one that she could call her own..one that she would perhaps watch after more carefully?

She's your wife, she's worth at least $200 for her own iPod.

davedecay
Dec 15, 2007, 12:46 PM
You can't speak for all women. My wife is very happy to have a lowly 1 GB 1st gen nano so she can listen to music while she paints.

Speaking of which, you can see 10 of her pieces up for sale now.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdavedecay

Check out the Ron Jeremy she did & sent to him for his birthday!

mojohanna
Dec 15, 2007, 01:46 PM
She dropped it on concrete and that killed it? I've had mine for a couple years. It's completely covered in scratches, I've dropped it many, many times (often on concrete or hard floors) while it was on and playing a song, and I somehow spilled a lot of super glue on the face of it. Aside from being a little hard to read and the menu button being glued up for awhile, it still works perfectly.

Must be all that superglue that is holding the thing together. If you wouldn't have spilled the super glue the thing would have been dead ages ago :p

.JahJahwarrior.
Dec 15, 2007, 02:04 PM
I'm not married. In fact, I've never really had a girlfriend. But, if a girl I was attracted to (and there is one..) broke or ruined or scratched anything of mine, I'd readily forgive her.

So I can understand why you would not be too upset with your wife, even if you are alittle aggravated that she's ruining toys that cost a few hundred $$'s....

iSaint
Dec 15, 2007, 02:31 PM
Oh, I'm not mad. But it's a costly thing since it was relatively clean and in good working condition. An iPod isn't something she wanted until she realized how cool it was to have all this music at her fingertips. She travels a good bit and really enjoys having the music with her. She also knows nothing about managing iTunes, an iPod, but does know I take better care of things like this, so she has no problem with me getting newer items.

Nukemkb
Dec 15, 2007, 02:46 PM
She's happy and you are being nice about it. What more can she want! Marriage like that will last. :)

bleedinghand
Dec 17, 2007, 06:34 AM
Destroyers are unexceptable! if you care about something, you wont hurt it.

iSaint
Dec 17, 2007, 10:38 AM
Destroyers are unexceptable! if you care about something, you wont hurt it.

They are also unacceptable! :p

khunxhor
Dec 28, 2007, 01:17 AM
sort of an old post...but just HAD to tell my story

on my 5th ipod...but I really have to say I'm very far from being spoiled

First got the ipod photo(really fat one) and it hit the closet door when I threw a pile of clothes at my sister not knowing it was among them...

replaced it with a simple classic ipod(b&w)...I was getting my nails done :rolleyes: (one of the very few times...cousins wedding) and I forgot it was on my lap and I stood to move and it plopped in the tub (along with my cell phone)

replaced it with same b&w...stopped working(still fuzzy as to why) probably because it was dropped several times..left in the car..etc

finally got the first generation video ipod...60gb black if im not mistaken...it eventually gave out as well...was extremely scratched up and began to freeze before it stopped working altogether.

now I have a simple nano 8gb celadon/green

this happened over a number of years and lucky me the store my brother-in-law bought it from(not apple) had a return whenever policy...so we only paid for the first one and the rest were replaced...the store(costco) caught on and changed to a 90 day return policy....so the nano stays(working or not)

yes, I am much more careful with the nano knowing it wont be replaced for free...and my new mb since I paid for it myself...regardless, I always felt horrible after each one gave out and I really doubt I will end up treating my cars or my men this way(at least I havent thus far;))

I guess I could be classified as an ipod destroyer...although unlucky just sounds better

JoeG4
Dec 28, 2007, 03:13 AM
My first iPod is sitting up in my room by my bed and it still works after 5 years! (2nd gen 10gb!) Hopefully, the iPod Touch lasts me just as long! :D

Father Jack
Dec 28, 2007, 03:18 AM
I know I posted this before but, my wife managed to drop her Nano into the cat's water dish about a year ago. After being left to dry out, it still works fine .. :)

Gymnut
Dec 28, 2007, 04:59 AM
Had to laugh at the thread title. Perhaps there'll be a song, "iPod destroyer" utilizing the Hall & Oates song "Man eater".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap-OO0xqTe4