PDA

View Full Version : DIY ipod repairs [in hopes of resell]

sakca015
Dec 17, 2007, 02:05 AM
So....I have been tossing around the idea of getting a new replacement back for my 5g video ipod so that i can sell it.

just wanted to know if those who have taken their ipods apart themselves have had reasonably smooth experiences? i don't want to ruin it of course - but i think i am adept enough to handle it. just wanted to know if it is more trouble than its worth? the back on mine is in fairly good condition - minimal scratching due to the fact that it has never lived outside of a case....although some scratches are down by the connector at the bottom...and since the rest is relatively unscratched it is more obvious. oh...AND least i forget it was a gift and so it has initials engraved on it...resell killer.

anyway: in short - what are your own DIY experiences and do you think the extra effort is worth it?

Scarlet Fever
Dec 17, 2007, 02:35 AM
It's not too hard. Use the iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod/iPod-5th-Generation-Video/95) guide to help you. I've used them to completely disassemble several iPods and a MacBook, and they are pretty much spot on, and very detailed :)

When disassembling my 5th Gen, I found it easiest to take out the first cable with an unwound paperclip. The second clip is probably easiest and safest with a plastic spudger or a credit card.