PDA

View Full Version : Apple Fixes Keyboard Freezing on MacBook and MacBook Pros

Bern
Dec 18, 2007, 05:51 PM
This update addresses a responsiveness issue on MacBook and MacBook Pro notebook computers. Some MacBook and MacBook Pro systems may occasionally experience a temporary suspension of keyboard input which can last a minute or longer. The Mac OS X 10.5.1 update is required before installing the MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.1.

Get in Software Update :)

psychofreak
Dec 18, 2007, 05:53 PM
I'm not gonna install this one...my first ignored update :)

MichaelThomas
Dec 18, 2007, 06:04 PM
My girlfriend shall be EXTREMELY happy about this.

MacRumors
Dec 18, 2007, 06:05 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has released (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookmacbookprosoftwareupdate11.html) MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.1 today which addresses a keyboard-freezing issue seen by many MacBook and MacBook Pro users under Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard:
This update addresses a responsiveness issue on MacBook and MacBook Pro notebook computers. Some MacBook and MacBook Pro systems may occasionally experience a temporary suspension of keyboard input which can last a minute or longer. The Mac OS X 10.5.1 update is required before installing the MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.1.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/18/apple-fixes-keyboard-freezing-on-macbook-and-macbook-pros/)

psychofreak
Dec 18, 2007, 06:06 PM
A bit of a premature headline, we don't know if it works...like the iMac freezing original fix...

Renko31
Dec 18, 2007, 06:11 PM
Hi. I use Microsoft RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) to connect to my work laptop (I have to use Windows for work, but I might as well display it on my Mac and keep all my Mac stuff handy - plus I can use all the Mac shortcuts which helps stop my brain getting confuddled). If I am in the command line interface - which isn't often but a few times tonight) the keyboard seems to behave very oddly - no '\' and I had to have caps lock on to press shift and get a capital letter. This could of course be any of the following:-
a) Windows is useless
b) RDC is still Beta
c) for some reason the MacBook keyboard just isn't compatible with Windows/command line interface
d) something I haven't thought of
e) all of the above

Just felt like sharing .... !:)

Renko

ariza910
Dec 18, 2007, 06:11 PM
so does this fix the non-responsive keyboard after waking from deep sleep? or the issue where the first few key strokes are not recognized?

SimonTheSoundMa
Dec 18, 2007, 06:12 PM
My poor MBP no longer suffers from dyslexia! :)

ariza, first key press seems to be fixed here, rare I get the unresponsive keyboard though so I can't test right now.

Safari is snappier after update.

ArmyKnight12
Dec 18, 2007, 06:14 PM
What about the screen freezing issues that Tiger users like myself are experiencing with MBP's? :apple:

killydoon
Dec 18, 2007, 06:15 PM
Installed the keyboard update without problems. It took about 2 minutes after it finished the install before the system came back up but have had no problems since. Had some intermittent keyboard problems before but none so far with the upgrade.

bmcgrath
Dec 18, 2007, 06:19 PM
eh.... Were santa rosa users the only people having this issue or was it all Macbooks/ Pro from core duo up to core duo2?
Because I have a Core Duo MBP with the update yet I've never had an issue with the keyboard.

Just curios

macinfojunkie
Dec 18, 2007, 06:19 PM
Hi. I use Microsoft RDC .....Renko

Seeing as RDC is still in beta, have you tried submitting a bug report to Microsoft? Since Mac OS has substantial keyboard differences with the remote Windows OS, I'd be inclined to think that this is an issue with the way the RDC application is translating Mac commands to windows commands.

Have you tried connecting via RDC from another Windows PC? If that works then we can probably conclude that Windows is not useless.
Have you tried connecting with the older version of RDC that was not in beta?
Have you tried connecting from a different Mac?
Are the language settings of both machines the same?

All of the above might yield a clue as to the issue, but I'd be surprised if it is going to be fixed by an Apple patch. I've experienced similar quirks when connecting Mac-Pc or PC-Mac using various remote connection tools like VNC etc. and usually the issues have been down to a bug in the application or a config setting affecting the way that keyboard commands are translated.

dswoodley
Dec 18, 2007, 06:23 PM
Still installing 15 minutes later...

macinfojunkie
Dec 18, 2007, 06:23 PM
so does this fix the non-responsive keyboard after waking from deep sleep? or the issue where the first few key strokes are not recognized?

I've had that same issue on my 2.33 Ghz C2D MBP since I got it. I never let the machine sleep because of that as I always have to cold power down which I don't like doing. How hard can it be for Apple to make that feature work? I have a Dell machine for work which cost a quarter of the cash and that seems much more reliable in this regard. Come on Apple! [puts on fireproof vest]

psychofreak
Dec 18, 2007, 06:25 PM
Try using LogMeIn instead of RDC :)

ltldrummerboy
Dec 18, 2007, 06:27 PM
I haven't installed yet, but I have had this problem on my month old macbook. Closing the lid and opening it back up has worked every time so far, but is still annoying. I hope this update works.

tiagocarraro
I only experienced this problem once in my santa rosa macbook, and it didn't last more than a few seconds! After the first leopard update, it never happened again. People are still having this problem?
It seems to happen quite randomly, right?

MidiMonk
WTF!!!

wheres the fix for 10.4 users, Apple this is beyond belief that a top flight laptop will not always register the first key typed.Plus, cannot stay connected via wireless for more than a few minutes on a good day :mad:

WhySoSerious
Dec 18, 2007, 06:28 PM
wtf...? i click on software update and it's not detecting anything for me to update. it says i'm already up to date on everything.

am i missing something here? why is it not picking up this "update" apple released. can someone pls post an image of what is to be updated...? :confused:

edit: ahh....i'm on tiger...maybe it's because it's only for leopard. ghey as ghey can get. stick a peppermint candy cane up my @zz and shove me on my way.

arn
Dec 18, 2007, 06:29 PM
wtf...? i click on software update and it's not detecting anything for me to update. it says i'm already up to date on everything.

am i missing something here? why is it not picking up this "update" apple released. can someone pls post an image of what is to be updated...? :confused:

Direct download link to update:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookmacbookprosoftwareupdate11.html

arn

philgilder
Dec 18, 2007, 06:30 PM
I didnt even realise I had this issue
I knew about the unresponsivness from sleep, but I thought the first key not being picked up was just typing badly
hopefully thisll fit it! :)

sixth
Dec 18, 2007, 06:38 PM
Now if they only fixed that stupid Quicktime update.

abrooks
Dec 18, 2007, 06:42 PM
A bit of a premature headline, we don't know if it works...like the iMac freezing original fix...

To my memory the initial iMac update didn't openly advertise that it fixed the problem, it was just assumed.

Sandpiper
Dec 18, 2007, 06:51 PM
The colors of my screen (MBP) seem to be changed a bit after i installed the update. anyone else has this?
also the mouse pointer can be moved a pixel too far left and up, but maybe it was already like this before the update and i'm just noticing it now..

big_malk
Dec 18, 2007, 07:01 PM
Recently I've been having an issue on my Mac Pro which sounds similar. For no apparent reason my BlueTooth Apple keyboard and mighty mouse stop working for up to a minute, is this issue exclusively MacBook and MacBook Pros?
Before I go off looking to track down the source of this annoyance :)

ncsmith4
Dec 18, 2007, 07:02 PM
Installed. So far no problems. Everything is business as usual.

We'll see how this thread progresses as time goes on I guess, though.

macwannabe77
Dec 18, 2007, 07:07 PM
took about 3 minutes to download, install and restart. I haven't had this problem yet (only had the macbook 3 weeks!) but it sounds like one I don't want to have.

pjarvi
Dec 18, 2007, 07:12 PM
I've never had a problem with any delay in typing, but I do have the problem of Bluetooth not working after waking from sleep. The problem occured after connecting the aluminum wireless keyboard. I've been shutting my MacBook down at night instead of sleeping because of this problem.

twoodcc
Dec 18, 2007, 07:13 PM
cool. i haven't noticed this issue on my mbp, but if i do, i know there's a fix

WhySoSerious
Dec 18, 2007, 07:17 PM
do Tiger users install this update?

mcgarry
Dec 18, 2007, 07:21 PM
I installed this on my 2.2 GHz MBP a few minutes ago. I already saw the problem, still, while working in Excel. Maybe that means this doesn't fix it, maybe it means my problem is with Excel, but it did only start after I went to 10.5.

My temporary fix has been, and unfortunately may have to remain, pressing control and then the right and left arrow keys (kb shortcut for switching between Spaces)-- for some reason, these keys usually aren't affected, and switching to Space #2 brings the kb back to life in Space 1. Command-tab, for example, doesn't work, but control and the arrow keys do! It's weird, I've tried control with other keys, only this combo seems to work.

I've also experienced the dead kb problem on a Core Duo MBP, in Firefox, haven't tested that yet.

CalBoy
Dec 18, 2007, 07:24 PM
Thankfully Apple addressed this issue with all deliberate speed. :)

It was really beginning to get on my nerves. :p:)

tj357
Dec 18, 2007, 07:27 PM
Awesome news for macbook owners :)

M!K
Dec 18, 2007, 07:37 PM
hopefully they'll do a battery fix or something cause my MBP's battery's lasting 1 hour with Leopard compared to 4 with Tiger! My MBP is brand new and I'm kinda mad my battery's so weak!!

Eduardo1971
Dec 18, 2007, 07:43 PM
eh.... Were santa rosa users the only people having this issue or was it all Macbooks/ Pro from core duo up to core duo2?
Because I have a Core Duo MBP with the update yet I've never had an issue with the keyboard.

Just curios

I too wonder. I have a first generation Macbook and I've NEVER experienced this problem (but I did have a faulty magsafe adapter and a firmware update DID brick my DVD/CD drive:mad:). So I'm not inclined to update it.

macinfojunkie
Dec 18, 2007, 07:49 PM
hopefully they'll do a battery fix or something cause my MBP's battery's lasting 1 hour with Leopard compared to 4 with Tiger! My MBP is brand new and I'm kinda mad my battery's so weak!!

Fear of this issue is what's holding me back from upgrading my MBP to Leopard. Well that and all the other initial bugs which need ironing out. I know OS releases are never bug free, but Apple only has a comparatively small number of hardware devices to test functionality for, so power life on a battery for flagship laptop range is a bit p1ss poor if it only lasts 1 hour with the new OS!

3rd party applications and hardware issues I can forgive and understand, but Apple's having a lot of compatibility issues with their OWN products of late. I mean it is not as it they have a lot to test against is it they only have a few of dozen line items!

M!K
Dec 18, 2007, 08:22 PM
do Tiger users install this update?
No. As it is mentioned in the post, you need to have 10.5.1 downloaded on your Mac first. That's why it won't work for Tiger

M!K
Dec 18, 2007, 08:24 PM
I had the keyboard issue sometimes. I'm glad it'll be fixed.

WICKEDfour
Dec 18, 2007, 08:44 PM
Hey, if you've been reading along on Apple Discussions, I'm kohlmannj.

After installing the update on my 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, I still had issues related to a non-responsive keyboard and trackpad after waking from sleep and even after logging in from the login window at system startup. I also have been getting sporadic disconnects/reconnects (since I'm running HardwareGrowler, I see pairs of notifications like "USB Device Disconnected - Apple Internal Keyboard/Trackpad" and then a similar "Device Connected" message. The gap between what's actually going on is long enough to notice a "skip" or "stutter" in keyboard input or cursor movement.

Maybe there's something of a placebo effect happening here, but the "skips" during normal use may have decreased in frequency. The critical moments of system boot and system wake still present problems for my machine.

Conclusion: My experience is that tonight's software update has not resolved the issue for my specific MacBook Pro. For all I know it could now be a hardware issue, but crap, I've only had this thing since August!

ucdr2003
Dec 18, 2007, 08:50 PM
I was looking forward to this fix as my 2.4GHz MacBook Pro was affected by the keyboard issue. After installing the updates and restarting, I found the hard disk renamed itself to a very odd string of characters: > QA {]C

The system has also been very slow when starting up -- specifically, from the point where the mouse pointer appears to when the dock, menu bar, and desktop appear. I was able to launch activity monitor and saw an update process using 1.7gb of virtual memory each restart. This has happened multiple times including after an SMC reset. The process eventually goes away and the system returns to normal.

Really though, I'm more nervous about the auto-rename of the hard disk. Never seen something like this in all my years of MacOS.

UPDATE: I should note that this system also has problems with Time Machine - it beach-balls at 8% every time I connect an external drive.

richard.mac
Dec 18, 2007, 08:58 PM
installed on a core duo even though i didnt have this problem. everything seems fine.

synth3tik
Dec 18, 2007, 09:02 PM
Direct download link to update:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookmacbookprosoftwareupdate11.html

arn

The update requires 10.5.1 Are you up to date with that?

I will have to wait, but at least the only time I have a frozen keyboard is after I run out of battery and the computer shuts off.

iBunny
Dec 18, 2007, 09:14 PM
<-- I love :apple:

I ***** hate you that it took this long. But now, I love you

TurboSC
Dec 18, 2007, 09:26 PM
took about 3 minutes to download, install and restart. I haven't had this problem yet (only had the macbook 3 weeks!) but it sounds like one I don't want to have.

hehe yea, glad to see Apple's patching things left and right. Makes me feel great about getting my MBP soon! :D

Eidorian
Dec 18, 2007, 09:41 PM
No problems here but I installed it anyways.

That was a long restart for some kernel extension updates.

iBunny
Dec 18, 2007, 09:43 PM
I wonder what the exact issue was? And what they did exactly for fixing it.

majordude
Dec 18, 2007, 09:47 PM
The colors of my screen (MBP) seem to be changed a bit after i installed the update. anyone else has this? also the mouse pointer can be moved a pixel too far left and up, but maybe it was already like this before the update and i'm just noticing it now..

Colors? Mouse moving by itself? Lick a Mickey Mouse stamp lately?

majordude
Dec 18, 2007, 09:49 PM
installed on a core duo even though i didnt have this problem. everything seems fine.

Installed on a 17" MBP (pre-SR) even though I didn't have this problem. Everything seems fi... ^%Ssa6... 78as71.... ~~~~ dropped carrier....

mlochm
Dec 18, 2007, 10:12 PM
This has made my month. I had all but thrown my Macbook out the window due to this bug. I seemed to have had it worse than anyone had described, as my entire keyboard would shut off within 5 seconds, every time I stopped typing, and would not come back unless I held down a key for AT LEAST 30 seconds. It was mind numbing. It made work almost impossible. THANKS APPLE! All seems groovy after the update (so far...).

Wouldn't it be great if there were bug fixes for all aspects of life? Overeating bug fixes, balding bug fixes, injury bug fixes, bad credit bug fixes...
Apple?

karpich1
Dec 18, 2007, 10:16 PM
Any idea if this fixes the "missing first key" issue?

I only recently found out about input going down for up to a minute. I've never had that. But the first-key thing has been plaguing me since around July with my LED MBP.

For all I know they are related. But I don't know enough about the outage issue to say if they're the same.

Westside guy
Dec 18, 2007, 10:16 PM
You know, I'd had intermittent issues since I upgraded to Leopard, but it was never bad enough that it was obvious what the source was. On the rare occasions it happened, I thought my keyboard might be going bad. This is interesting.

I won't know if it fixed anything for some time, but here's hoping...

BTW to the Tiger complainers... it seems pretty obvious this is a Leopard-only fix only because it's a Leopard-only problem. (I know that's already apparent to most of you; but some people don't get it for some reason)

pdoggy
Dec 18, 2007, 10:27 PM
As a writer, this is a complete pain. I can't believe this isn't fixed with this update.

Any idea if this fixes the "missing first key" issue?

I only recently found out about input going down for up to a minute. I've never had that. But the first-key thing has been plaguing me since around July with my LED MBP.

For all I know they are related. But I don't know enough about the outage issue to say if they're the same.

iBunny
Dec 18, 2007, 10:29 PM
As a writer, this is a complete pain. I can't believe this isn't fixed with this update.

um...

My Missing first key has been fixed by this.......

Flobber88
Dec 18, 2007, 10:52 PM
This first happened to me last Wednesday, I thought it was becasue I unplugged my ext. keyboard. Glad to see a fix.

jonny
Dec 18, 2007, 11:16 PM
Ummm... How about a friggin GPU driver update? This is paska!

Applepi
Dec 19, 2007, 12:14 AM
I wish they'd supply this update for my Powerbook, re-connecting my external keyboard until I get a response is starting to get annoying.

Foxglove9
Dec 19, 2007, 01:17 AM
um...

Mine isn't fixed. :(

I can't wait until 10.5.2.

thies
Dec 19, 2007, 03:48 AM
good that they finally fix it, bad that it took so long. Sitting there without a keyboard and the only fix being a rerstart is annoying like hell.

mashkina
Dec 19, 2007, 04:01 AM
I wonder what the exact issue was? And what they did exactly for fixing it.

My MBP Santa Rosa has experienced all types of problems, screen freezes, Ethernet going down, and keyboard freezing. How can I have such a bad luck, while others don't? Now, I see that all these problems can be fixed by software. The keyboard freeze was the last one to make this machine be almost perfect: I am working on the MBP when suddenly the keyboard does not react, does not work, I go out, log in again, and it is still not working; then suddenly the keyboard becomes active again (in most of the case I was not so patient to wait for a couple of minutes, so I restart the machine). This thing happened to me only with Leopard. I am very glad to hear of this fix.

Macaroni99
Dec 19, 2007, 04:21 AM
Does anyone have the following problem?:
On my girlfriends Macbook Core2Duo on startup sometimes the numpad light is on but not switched on and the same with capitals key. Both LED light up but the key does work as if it's not...strange hardware. Hope they can fix it.
It's a bit annoying to see Apple having such fundamental hardware issues.

I did't find anything about this on the net. Maybe it's a very rare problem...

stevel58
Dec 19, 2007, 05:34 AM
On my girlfriends Macbook Core2Duo on startup sometimes the numpad light is on but not switched on and the same with capitals key. Both LED light up but the key does work as if it's not...strange hardware. Hope they can fix it.

I have had this problem as well as the fist character typed not appearing but have applied fix and it now looks good. Time will tell! :rolleyes:

big_malk
Dec 19, 2007, 05:37 AM

I had that problem once, it was fine after a restart. Haven't tried this fix though, haven't had any other problems so not in a hurry to try it.

bmk
Dec 19, 2007, 05:43 AM

If your MBP is 'brand new' why are you waiting for a software fix? It is highly unlikely that the battery problem you describe can be fixed with a software update anyway. Your machine is still in warranty - just take it to the genius bar and show them. That's what it's there for, it's very simple. Just complaining here about something which isn't even the subject of the thread won't do you any good - and the fact that you seem to think that it is a bug in the OS that is making your battery last an hour and that it could and should be fixed by a software update is a little worrying.

theloon
Dec 19, 2007, 07:18 AM
Nope - fix from yesterday does not work. Closed the lid when I went to sleep last night. Woke up, opened lid. Keyboard and mouse not responding.

Apple you need to fix this 2.5K for a laptop with these basic problems sucks.

:mad:

Undecided
Dec 19, 2007, 07:54 AM
I had the keyboard freezing problem, but simply resetting the SMC took care of that. (Disconnect power, remove battery, press power button for 5 seconds.) No big deal, in my case.

appie57
Dec 19, 2007, 08:00 AM

I have the same problem on the 17" MPB (our 15" no problems); it occurs however relatively rarely (i'd say once every 2 weeks). I hope this fix solves that (and the first key issue, which is more annoying as it is there all the time):mad:

eastcoastsurfer
Dec 19, 2007, 08:41 AM
I have a SR 17inch, and the missing first key problem started awhile back with Tiger. Since upgrading to Leopard I started getting the whole keyboard going dead problem. It got so bad that I could barely use the machine. I hope this update addresses both issues, but I'm not holding my breath.

zirngast99
Dec 19, 2007, 09:11 AM
Hi,
I experienced the same issue than Maccaroni99 (NumLock und Shift-LEDs on, but nut activated).
So I called apple support (austria): told me to shut it down, disconnect it from electricity and from accu, wait a few seconds. Then I should press the power button for about 15 seconds. This is the first reset thing to do.
Then electricity back on and the second reset: press alt,apple,r,p and swith it on - hold the 4 down till it starts 3 times (till you heard the starting sound and the cd-slot 3 times); release them and let it start normally.

This worked for me (but don't know if it fixed thefirst character issue).

Hope it gets yours working properly.

ahpak
Dec 19, 2007, 09:26 AM
I've also got the "missing first key" fixed, but it totally screwed up the Traditional Chinese input methods. When I am in Safari, I can still pick the IM and input text in T Chinese. But I cannot even pick that IM in Mail. What a disaster!!!!!!!:mad:

theman
Dec 19, 2007, 09:33 AM
only had this happen once, after it had trouble waking from sleep. the keyboard was just completely dead and i just held down the power button. i hope that is fixed now...

it seems to only have trouble waking if you close the lid. if you just let it fall asleep with the screen open (however you have it set in energy saver) it doesn't seem to have issues waking.

cogsinister
Dec 19, 2007, 09:40 AM
I hope my missing first letter problems have gone away now.....it is so annoying !!!

DrEasy
Dec 19, 2007, 09:46 AM
I don't know if the keyboard freeze problem has been solved (I haven't had yet since the update, touch wood), but a bigger problem that I had has been fixed: there was a trailing row of crazy bitmaps following my mouse pointer everywhere I went. It was very distracting, and I was thinking of returning my Santa Rosa MacBook. But the problem seems to be gone now! :)

Anyone else had that problem? Couldn't find anything on the net about it, but then again I wasn't sure what to look for. I'm not sure my description of the problem makes much sense either...

eastcoastsurfer
Dec 19, 2007, 10:07 AM
First key problem NOT fixed for me.

SBG88
Dec 19, 2007, 11:21 AM
um...

Me too, what a pain that was!

pjarvi
Dec 19, 2007, 11:31 AM
Bluetooth keyboard/mice not working after waking from sleep not fixed. Hopefully 10.5.2 will take care of it. Never had any issue with first key not working or delays in response, only with kb/mouse not working at all until after a shutdown/restart.

toddbee
Dec 19, 2007, 03:14 PM
I installed this update this morning and have no Internet now. It installed then went to a grey screen and froze. I rebooted and now have no Internet. Any advice. If I reinstall the I'd will it revert?

surripere
Dec 19, 2007, 03:32 PM
[This is a repost from the more dormant Security update thread--someone help please! Concerns the security update as well as the 1.1 software update.]

Can anyone help me with this? I'm new to OS X and I'm in the middle of law school finals, so my independent bug-fixing time is pretty short.

Problem: Yesterday, I had the Security Update 2007-009 patch show up after manually checking for updates (no auto-update appeared). I did not select install at that time, because I was stepping out of the house (just wanted to check to make sure it showed up at all). The computer was put to sleep without installing.

When I came back and woke the computer from sleep, I had an automatic software update notification for the new MBP 1.1 software update, which as I understand it is an entirely different update apart from Security Update 2007-009. I promptly installed the MBP software update.

After installation, Security Update 2007-009 no longer showed up when manually checking for updates.

Question: What happened to the security update? Was it incorporated into the software update? Did I somehow install it without knowing? If so on that last part, is there a way to check to see if I actually did install it?

Thanks for your help.

Sun Baked
Dec 19, 2007, 03:41 PM
Question: What happened to the security update? Was it incorporated into the software update? Did I somehow install it without knowing? If so on that last part, is there a way to check to see if I actually did install it?

Thanks for your help.

System Preferences/Software Update/Installed Updates

if it isn't there it can be downloaded from the apple support download link. http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

surripere
Dec 19, 2007, 03:51 PM
System Preferences/Software Update/Installed Updates

if it isn't there it can be downloaded from the apple support download link. http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

Much obliged. Hah, I should have been able to figure that out.

It lists as installed. Maybe the gf got her hands on my precious MBP while I was out, and installed for me.

mauricev
Dec 19, 2007, 05:26 PM
Recently I've been having an issue on my Mac Pro which sounds similar. For no apparent reason my BlueTooth Apple keyboard and mighty mouse stop working for up to a minute, is this issue exclusively MacBook and MacBook Pros?
Before I go off looking to track down the source of this annoyance :)

Nope, it affects my Mac Pro, too. If you scan the threads (e.g., http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5970249�), you will some reports from Mac Pro users

patp77
Dec 19, 2007, 06:16 PM
For those of you wondering, here's the keyboard problem that I believe this is supposed to fix:

Problem: Every now and then when switching away from an active window, the keyboard would stop responding to key presses. This generally happened when switching from one application to another but also happened within an application if the application caused a new window to become active within it.

Solution: Prior to the patch, you would have to wait for approximately 30 - 60 seconds and the keyboard would begin responding again. I would usually spend that time pressing keys until they started appearing on the screen.

The fun part is that this problem would surface randomly every time you switched to a different window so if you tend to alternate between a lot of applications, you would usually see this frequently enough that it would drive you insane.

I'm downloading the patch right now but from what I'm reading here, it looks like they've fixed this issue.

caxqueiroz
Dec 19, 2007, 06:52 PM
There is a bug on the installation script. My FS is case-sensitive, the needsUpgrade function looks for a dir ".../Plugins", but my dir is ".../PlugIns". Thus, the script doesnt find the correct dir and returns I need upgrade :(.
I've installed it 4 times but software update was still saying I need upgrade. I've made a ln -s to Plugins then works :)

fart
Dec 19, 2007, 07:31 PM
it tells me "You cannot install Macbook Macbook Pro Software update on this volume. Your computer does not need this update." Ugh, my keyboard/trackpad has been completely out of commission on my 1.5 year old CoreDuo MBP for at least a month now. This is irritating. Any ideas?

OldBobsledGuy
Dec 19, 2007, 10:55 PM
Is anyone encountering any problems with their keyboard not lighting up? I have a Santa Rosa MBP, Leopard, all updates and now my backlit keyboard isn't lighting up. I found a link for the following a solution called labtick. Has this been vetted out? http://labtick.proculo.de/

pamon
Dec 20, 2007, 12:19 AM
i updated and installed w/ no problems.

Eidorian
Dec 20, 2007, 12:21 AM
Is anybody noticing some trackpad jumping now?

Foxglove9
Dec 20, 2007, 12:37 AM

It jumped prior to the update for me

Eidorian
Dec 20, 2007, 12:39 AM
It jumped prior to the update for meWell I had a few instances before the update but it seems to happen more often now.

I find it a little annoying to have my cursor teleport around with no new input.

Habakuk
Dec 20, 2007, 05:22 AM

Since I only do a new boot when Apple's updates demand it I recognized that behaviour on the last security update some days ago. I did not check if the keys did work as if it's not - because a second reboot solved this minor problem. I am always performing a second security/security :o reboot after such dramatical and bulky updates.

Although I never experienced a freezing (as described in the Apple document) keyboard *) I installed the accordant update anyway. What I had is the well known and very annoying ELP problem. Since that update it seems to be gone! But it's too early to tell maybe... So let's hope and pray.

The MBP is perfect otherwise but this problem was (hopefully was) driving me nuts!!!

*) When I am typing very fast it may occur that the display of the letters on the screen hangs for one second or two. But that is no problem at all as long as the typing is recorded and will show up properly after that little interruption. This behaviour occured and occurs (even after the update) from time to time on almost ALL computers I know . Nothing annoying whilst the keyboard buffer is working fine.

MrCrowbar
Dec 20, 2007, 09:45 AM

Well, I use steermouse just to get rid of the jumpy default OSX behavior. Do you know anyway to modify the pointer acceleration in OSX?

Those 3rd party tools either mess up your resolution (with USB overdrive, my mouse resolution seems to be below 100 dpi so I can't accurately point with my 2000 dpi mouse) and SteerMouse is buggy in the way that some key mappings (I like to have a button for CTRL so I can zoom without keyboard when the Mac is connected to a TV). And I have to restart it every 24 hours because it pops up an annoying message, even after registration.

Eidorian
Dec 20, 2007, 09:49 AM
Well, I use steermouse just to get rid of the jumpy default OSX behavior. Do you know anyway to modify the pointer acceleration in OSX?

Those 3rd party tools either mess up your resolution (with USB overdrive, my mouse resolution seems to be below 100 dpi so I can't accurately point with my 2000 dpi mouse) and SteerMouse is buggy in the way that some key mappings (I like to have a button for CTRL so I can zoom without keyboard when the Mac is connected to a TV). And I have to restart it every 24 hours because it pops up an annoying message, even after registration.I do have MouseZoom installed because I find the default OS X acceleration to be pathetic.

JFreak
Dec 20, 2007, 10:05 AM

No, but my Wired Mighty Mouse jumped like crazy with Tiger.

DjAndy
Dec 20, 2007, 11:56 AM
I installed the fix...Instalation went trough without problem.
But I have a strange problem....
Numbers on the keyboard doesn`t work...Don`t mean the virtual numerical one, but the whole 2nd line of the keyboard (so keys 1234567890)
I have to turn on num lock to make them work....Didn`t have to do that before update at all.....
Anyone with simmilar problem? :confused:

hagjohn
Dec 20, 2007, 02:02 PM
updated but my macbook will still freeze if it goes to sleep with the top open. I have to shut the top and reopen it in order to wake the macbook up.

ezekel
Dec 20, 2007, 04:48 PM
installed and now all of my permissions are screwed up.. tried repairing permissions and nothing, can't even connect to my server due to permissions.

M!K
Dec 20, 2007, 05:16 PM
My MBP Santa Rosa has experienced all types of problems, screen freezes, Ethernet going down, and keyboard freezing. How can I have such a bad luck, while others don't? Now, I see that all these problems can be fixed by software. The keyboard freeze was the last one to make this machine be almost perfect: I am working on the MBP when suddenly the keyboard does not react, does not work, I go out, log in again, and it is still not working; then suddenly the keyboard becomes active again (in most of the case I was not so patient to wait for a couple of minutes, so I restart the machine). This thing happened to me only with Leopard. I am very glad to hear of this fix.

i was facing the same keyboard issue. it's fixed. but i still have a big printer problem. and a battery life problem. All these things did not happened when i had Tiger.

SBG88
Dec 22, 2007, 02:23 PM
poke to soon. irst letter delay not fixed for me.

ncsmith4
Dec 22, 2007, 04:29 PM
yeah its still happening every now and then...

Habakuk
Dec 24, 2007, 03:24 AM
poke to soon. irst letter delay not fixed for me.

Same here. It seems to be a little bit better now after the last update but it still happens. When you want to type much and fast changing frequently the editors this behaviour interrupts the workflow immense.

Maybe my MBP isn't really made for text...

theloon
Dec 25, 2007, 05:00 PM
I have been both into Apple stores and also on the phone to tech support - Apple is basically refusing to accept this as a problem.

I have a 1 month old Macbook Pro, totally fresh install of Tiger (6 times now), no other apps, and it is fully patched.

Closing the lid and opening it later - which should be considered a normal operational proceedure for a notebook (portable) device, just does not work!

Keyboard and mouse locked - only 3-5 tried at this get you a machine that accepts keyboard/mouse inputs.

I have reset PRAM/NVRAM and also tried all the possible pmset commands to see if this is an issue that can be addressed with changes to the sleep/hibernation profile.

Apple store will not refund/replace the notebook, and seem to think that rebooting is acceptable solution.

Anyone else totally fed up with this crap and feel it is time to push the issue further?

Cole Slaw
Dec 25, 2007, 05:33 PM
After taking the update I've noticed the trackpad on my MBP is sometimes jumpy. This only occurs after I wake the computer from sleep, and goes away after I restart.

tightbunns
Dec 26, 2007, 01:53 PM
Yep, still happening to me as well, including the "laptop going to sleep with the top open means it won't wake up".

Concorde Rules
Dec 26, 2007, 02:18 PM
What a great update.

Used to never do it and this morning waking from sleep it did.

Well done apple! :confused: