Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
This update addresses a responsiveness issue on MacBook and MacBook Pro notebook computers. Some MacBook and MacBook Pro systems may occasionally experience a temporary suspension of keyboard input which can last a minute or longer. The Mac OS X 10.5.1 update is required before installing the MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.1.

Get in Software Update :)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Fixes Keyboard Freezing on MacBook and MacBook Pros

Apple has released MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.1 today which addresses a keyboard-freezing issue seen by many MacBook and MacBook Pro users under Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard:
This update addresses a responsiveness issue on MacBook and MacBook Pro notebook computers. Some MacBook and MacBook Pro systems may occasionally experience a temporary suspension of keyboard input which can last a minute or longer. The Mac OS X 10.5.1 update is required before installing the MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.1.

Article Link

Retired
May 16, 2006
A bit of a premature headline, we don't know if it works...like the iMac freezing original fix...

Renko31

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2004
North Yorkshire, UK
Will it fix command line inputs when using RDC

Hi. I use Microsoft RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) to connect to my work laptop (I have to use Windows for work, but I might as well display it on my Mac and keep all my Mac stuff handy - plus I can use all the Mac shortcuts which helps stop my brain getting confuddled). If I am in the command line interface - which isn't often but a few times tonight) the keyboard seems to behave very oddly - no '\' and I had to have caps lock on to press shift and get a capital letter. This could of course be any of the following:-
a) Windows is useless
b) RDC is still Beta
c) for some reason the MacBook keyboard just isn't compatible with Windows/command line interface
d) something I haven't thought of
e) all of the above

Just felt like sharing .... !:)

Renko

ariza910

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
So Cal
so does this fix the non-responsive keyboard after waking from deep sleep? or the issue where the first few key strokes are not recognized?

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
My poor MBP no longer suffers from dyslexia! :)

ariza, first key press seems to be fixed here, rare I get the unresponsive keyboard though so I can't test right now.

Safari is snappier after update.

killydoon

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2006
Ballinagh, Ireland
MacBook Pro keyboard update

Installed the keyboard update without problems. It took about 2 minutes after it finished the install before the system came back up but have had no problems since. Had some intermittent keyboard problems before but none so far with the upgrade.

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
eh.... Were santa rosa users the only people having this issue or was it all Macbooks/ Pro from core duo up to core duo2?
Because I have a Core Duo MBP with the update yet I've never had an issue with the keyboard.

Just curios

macinfojunkie

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Hi. I use Microsoft RDC .....Renko

Seeing as RDC is still in beta, have you tried submitting a bug report to Microsoft? Since Mac OS has substantial keyboard differences with the remote Windows OS, I'd be inclined to think that this is an issue with the way the RDC application is translating Mac commands to windows commands.

• Have you tried connecting via RDC from another Windows PC? If that works then we can probably conclude that Windows is not useless.
  • Have you tried connecting with the older version of RDC that was not in beta?
  • Have you tried connecting from a different Mac?
  • Are the language settings of both machines the same?

All of the above might yield a clue as to the issue, but I'd be surprised if it is going to be fixed by an Apple patch. I've experienced similar quirks when connecting Mac-Pc or PC-Mac using various remote connection tools like VNC etc. and usually the issues have been down to a bug in the application or a config setting affecting the way that keyboard commands are translated.

macinfojunkie

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
so does this fix the non-responsive keyboard after waking from deep sleep? or the issue where the first few key strokes are not recognized?

I've had that same issue on my 2.33 Ghz C2D MBP since I got it. I never let the machine sleep because of that as I always have to cold power down which I don't like doing. How hard can it be for Apple to make that feature work? I have a Dell machine for work which cost a quarter of the cash and that seems much more reliable in this regard. Come on Apple! [puts on fireproof vest]

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I haven't installed yet, but I have had this problem on my month old macbook. Closing the lid and opening it back up has worked every time so far, but is still annoying. I hope this update works.

tiagocarraro

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
Florianópolis - South Brazil
Santa Rosa Macbook

I only experienced this problem once in my santa rosa macbook, and it didn't last more than a few seconds! After the first leopard update, it never happened again. People are still having this problem?
It seems to happen quite randomly, right?

MidiMonk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
WTF!!!

wheres the fix for 10.4 users, Apple this is beyond belief that a top flight laptop will not always register the first key typed.Plus, cannot stay connected via wireless for more than a few minutes on a good day :mad:

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
wtf...? i click on software update and it's not detecting anything for me to update. it says i'm already up to date on everything.

am i missing something here? why is it not picking up this "update" apple released. can someone pls post an image of what is to be updated...? :confused:

edit: ahh....i'm on tiger...maybe it's because it's only for leopard. ghey as ghey can get. stick a peppermint candy cane up my @zz and shove me on my way.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
I didnt even realise I had this issue
I knew about the unresponsivness from sleep, but I thought the first key not being picked up was just typing badly
hopefully thisll fit it! :)

Sandpiper

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
Belgium
The colors of my screen (MBP) seem to be changed a bit after i installed the update. anyone else has this?
also the mouse pointer can be moved a pixel too far left and up, but maybe it was already like this before the update and i'm just noticing it now..

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
Similar issue on Mac Pro?

Recently I've been having an issue on my Mac Pro which sounds similar. For no apparent reason my BlueTooth Apple keyboard and mighty mouse stop working for up to a minute, is this issue exclusively MacBook and MacBook Pros?
Before I go off looking to track down the source of this annoyance :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.