PDA

View Full Version : PB 15" 1.25 - Anyone in Australia got one yet?

weev
Oct 2, 2003, 11:29 AM
Hi fellow mac freaks!

Has anyone in oz got there PB yet?

My re-seller said 'Monday, worst case scenario, Friday' -- it is now the following Friday. Now they tell me Apple will deliver week 4. That's now!?

Also, why do these sales people tell you a few days when it really is a few weeks? Heh, I know the answer to that question - so they can empty your wallet!

Big poo poo to all lyin' sales-gibbons!

aic
Oct 2, 2003, 06:38 PM
I orderd my powerbook 15" 1.25 the day after they came out. I haven't heard a peep out of the reseller. Please post when you get yours and i will do likewise so we will have a rough idea of when to expect our new toys

RayEarth
Oct 2, 2003, 09:28 PM
Ordered a 1.25ghz BTO last Thursday.......they said 10-15 days

Actually in Chatswood (NSW, www.macmall.com.au) AppleCentre they had both 1Ghz and 1.25Ghz stock powerbooks in store and ready to be sold/picked up as of last Thursday.

I should've just got one of the stock machines, *sigh*

Golem
Oct 2, 2003, 10:10 PM
I havent got mine yet, I am hoping 20th or so but it may be as late as end of month. But some have definitily come in all ready. Apparentlly you can also use the 10.2.7 cd with them as a universal updater cd.

cb911
Oct 2, 2003, 10:12 PM
whoa, i feel sorry for all you guys. :(

as you can see i'm in Brisbane... but i went to Sydney for a week, the week after they were released.

I called around in Brisbane, and they thought they'd have a 1-4 week wait before they got any units in stock.

then when i was in Sydney i called NextByte and they had one left at their Pymble store, so i put my name down on that and picked it up on Friday the 26th (Sept). it was 1x512MB RAM model as well... the rest was stock.

i can't beleive people that actually live in Sydney haven't got yours yet. and i just came down from Bris for a 1 week holiday and pickup one up! :p :D

i guess i was just lucky. :D but now i sure am happy (:D) but i feel sorry for everyone else as well (:( ). hope they get to Aus soon.

Kiwi-Todd
Oct 2, 2003, 10:26 PM
You geezers could always jump the ditch - there's plenty in stock over here in Noo Zoland!

weev
Oct 2, 2003, 10:30 PM
You lucky boy!

I went to the Apple Centre Taylor Square, Sydney. who were offering $300 off the stock model.

It seemed too good to be true. Could pick one up in 3 days, now it's 14 and counting. They are just smooth liars.

RayEarth
Oct 3, 2003, 02:04 AM
wow....i just rang my store, and they said....wait for it....

ANOTHER 2 FREAKEN WEEKS.....

oh gosh...never buying another BTO again......

weev
Oct 4, 2003, 01:53 PM
two weeks!

bto? ... what are you, James Bond?

Just kidding. I wanted a single 512Mb chip if only just to avoid making waste, ie, that 128 ram you throw out.

I assumed stock models would come quicker and I could only get a better price on the standard, so I went with the 15" superdrive ($4,495) and am still waiting since 19/9 (for american readers its sept 19; it always throws me out when i see a month BEFORE a day, so I emphathise, or was that emphathize).

But I digress.

And wait.

And wait.

And.

PowerBookMan
Oct 13, 2003, 08:53 AM
Guys,

Im the owner of AppleCentre TaylorSquare, and I have been reading your comments regarding lack of stock for PowerBook 15"s.

The current situation is grim. Apple Computer Australia in all its wisdom and strategy, has again, failed to deliver enough stock to Australian resellers, which means that many Aussie dealers are stuck (like me) in not being able to fulfill back-orders.

When these new powerbooks were announced we placed 65 backorders with customers, on the advice from Apple's product sales teams, that we would receive stocks 1 week from date of announcement.

its now 5 weeks from announcement, and we are still waiting. I have placed calls through to Apple and met with their product sales-teams, however, they remain completely powerless to solve their product supply problems.

We, much like yourselves, are desperate to get these machines to our customers.

And contrary to popular belief, we dont lie to our customers. We state the manufacturers product ETA's. And when your manufacturer continues to place the delivery date backwards, day after day, week after week, it makes us - the dealers - look horrible.

If I could change this situation, I would. I grow tired of loosing customers and hundreds of thousands of dollars annually, because Apple makes no attempt to get its product supply problems sorted.

I do appreciate our customers patience, and if anyone would like to chat with me regarding these delays, I am more than happy to speak in person, and give you all the information you need.

Feel free to call me, 02 9332 8600

BENJAMIN MORGAN
AppleCentre TaylorSquare

aic
Oct 13, 2003, 08:59 AM
Fellow peoples...

I went into My Mac Australia store opposite Fed Sqaure in Melbourne to hassle them on when i expect to get my 15" Book and if i qualify for the free panther upgrade. OMG was i shocked at the response. He said he didnt want to tell me but he wanted to show me.

The guy showed me some website that the apple resellers use to track orders and it had the total ordered and total shipped. Now brace your self...

Some 635 odd had been ordered (cant remember the exact figure) but only 2 had shipped. 2 i say, and mine wasn't one of the 2. The guy told me that he thinks that Apple might be holding things up to ship Panther with the models and he assured me i wouldn't have to pay any money for Panther seeing i have waited since the day they released the product.

Has anyone found any more info ???

weev
Oct 13, 2003, 01:28 PM
Oh, the angst, the humanity!

So much waiting is not just frustrating in it's own time-sucking way, but costly through lost work that can earn income and loss of professional standing that comes from promising work that you cannot deliver.

I do not understand how resellers can quote such glaringly innacurate supply-date figures and that Apple's own supply management system can say 3 days which turns into 4+ weeks.

That's a big big of crap software that!

Imagine that software running your business. You would be discredited and broke within weeks.

If resellers said 2-4 weeks than I would tell clients I could begin designing their website in 3 or 4 weeks. But when Apple LIES to the resellers who pass on the lie (and in litigation passing another persons lie does not absolve you from also lying) then a lot of pissed-ness happens all round.

Resellers know its a lie and pass it off onto customers and later blame the source of the lie as the culprit.

Peesweeeeek!

PowerBookMan
Oct 13, 2003, 06:12 PM
Weev,

I openly invite your attendance to a product supply briefing with Apple Computer Australia, to which I shall invite the Sales and Marketing departments to explain to you, why they fail to supply product on their scheduled delivery dates.

It will be the perfect opportunity for you to express your clear dissapointment in the company.

Would you like to attend?

Ex-AppleEmp
Oct 13, 2003, 09:47 PM
I fully support PowerBookMan. As an ex Apple employee, I know what he (and many others) is going through. We often joked within the company that Apple is successful despite management. I really feel for the resellers as they are often getting feast or famine. This is no way to do business as they have overheads that they must sustain. When you do not get stock, there is no sales especially those resellers that can only sell Apple products. The famine is usually at the start of a product life cycle where Apple announces the new product and gets everyone excited. Of course they get their numbers wrong and everyone has to wait. Then they catch up and for a period of time everyone is happy. Then Apple announces another new product but of course they don't tell anyone including the resellers and try to dump their existing inventory at a good price to the resellers. When that happen, the channel is stuffed with products that will go obsolete as soon as they announce their new products. And the circle goes on. I love the Macs and still own a few of them but I would not buy an Apple resellership even if you paid me.

AppleCentre TaylorSquare is one of the nicer Resellers I have to deal with. The team is young, energetic and passionate. They are not afraid of taking on the big guys. I do not like the bigger resellership as they start to be indifferent to their customers and especially Next Byte. I used to recommend friends to them as I have no access any more to Macs at a good price as an employee would but I have many friends who would not do business with them again. I used to recommend them but I don't anymore as I value my reputation. However, having said that, I am sad that most resellers cannot give the type of service Mac users deserve because these resellers cannot make enough to be able to provide such services. Looks like the Dark side is winning unless the Mac diehards will be more tolerant with supply issues and stick to the good resellers. Remember that "The sweet memory of a CHEAP price will fade very quickly when one encounters NO SERVICE when required".

russgra
Oct 13, 2003, 11:49 PM
My experience:

15" Alu Powerbook Combo 1Ghz, ordered 19/09, received 2/10.

20 Gig, ipod ordered 19/09, received 9/10.

NextByte Elisabeth St Melbourne.

cb911
Oct 14, 2003, 12:12 AM
PowerBookMan, i've always thought that the problem has been with Apple itself... but i can't beleive that people still haven't got their PowerBooks yet!

but it does make a big difference when the re-sellers have a good attitude. even thought i got my PB on the day that i called NextByte about it (26.09. pretty lucky, eh? :D) i would never want to go back to a NextByte shop if i could help it.

perhaps Apple is also trying to fix some of the issues with the PB's before they ship more units? like with the screen not latching as securely as it could?

oh well, i guess there'll be heaps of happy people when (or if:eek:) we finally get the PB's.:rolleyes:

would be a real pain if you'd already paid for everything to get the $300 iPod rebate as well, then had to wait for it to get here, or watch as another re-seller had PB's in stock.

RayEarth
Oct 14, 2003, 01:06 AM
Ordered exactly 3 weeks ago....still waiting......

Mine's BTO; the stock machines have arrived in Sydney already i'm pretty sure. Even 3 weeks ago when I ordered mine, I could've just walked away with a stock option.....but really, i don't need the superdrive :D

For the price of a superdrive i got an ipod instead (with $300 rebate!) :D

weev
Oct 14, 2003, 04:37 AM
Mac centric in chatswood have had superdrive powerbooks for several days now, they are really friendly but they don't offer any discount.

So if you are in sydney and you want to pick one up go there, otherwise hang in there for a few more weeks.

i wonder if there are a couple of other issues keeping the products back:

1. manufacturing faults, as mentioned above

2. the coming of Panther, it may be bundled in

My real gripe is, in a nutshell, innacurate info. A friend ordered one through Rochester and was told a few weeks. He will get his about when I get mine and I was told a few days.

Hence, the agro is all mine, and I promise clients work I cannot carry out, which could alomost negate the purchase of the machine in the first place. I have made, in turn, promises I cannot deliver, but feel kind of cheap blaming Apple. So I blame the reseller, the reseller blames Apple and order is as is in the tech jungle!

Breathe in, breathe out.... relaxxxxx:eek:

Icekey
Oct 14, 2003, 07:56 AM
Well, I ordered a 15" 1ghz with backlit keyboard CTO and paid in full on the 26/09 with a 20 gig iPod to qualify for the 300 dollar education bundle rebate. Well, I was told 3-5 days for the iPod and 2-3 weeks for the PB. Well guess what, neither of the products have arrived, and the dude from MyMac can't help me but tell me that Apple Australia is not giving them any information in regards to what in the world is happening with the orders. The least I think they can do is come up with an excuse such as fixing hardware issues to insure that the batch received here won't be affected by some of the issues faced in the earlier batches. If it's Panther that they're delaying everything on, I'm very pissed off about that, cause Panther is all ready to go. What is wrong with shipping PBs with Panther preloaded 1 week before the official packages are sold. I really want answers, but NO ONE can give me anything!!! Zilch, nothing!

I'm having this urge to just fetch out another 900 bucks to simply purchase the 1.25ghz stock model just so that I can use a laptop for my uni work before my semester finishes!!!

But what makes me wonder if why it's taking so long for my iPod to come!

aic
Oct 14, 2003, 06:05 PM
I too feel your pain.

I have 1 1/2 weeks left of uni and i really really wanted to take my new Al' Book into class, it seems little point in getting the item delivered during the exam period as i shouldn't be playing with it then ...

Why oh Why did i wait for the new 15" Book???

tayvens
Oct 15, 2003, 07:59 PM
My experience: Ordered BTO 12inch on 16th sept via Apple Online. Told it would ship "on or before 17th Oct". I rang Apple last Thursday to ask about Panther dicount for people waiting for their powerbooks. I was given a vague reply which implied they did not know what they where doing re Panther. I was also told that the 17th was a "very optimistic" shipping date for a BTO.

Yesterday (15th Oct) at 5pm I had the joyous email saying it had shipped. Yay!! Just shows again that Apple Australia have no clue or control over factors outside Australia.

Now I want my powerbook delivered before the weekend. I also want to see a coupon saying that I can have Panther at a discount. Do I ask for too much?

Icekey
Oct 16, 2003, 12:52 AM
Well, after spending an hour at the store with the guy calling up Apple Australia, he found out that the actual machine is at French Forest or wherever Apple Australia is located, and that the machine should arrive at the shop either tomorrow or on monday! FINALLY I SAY!!!!

PowerBookMan
Oct 16, 2003, 07:34 AM
Today, AppleCentre TaylorSquare received 6 PowerBook 15" units, and are expecting to see most back-orders completed by end of next week.

If you have back-orders with AppleCentre TaylorSquare, you should check in with staff to see where you are located in the que.

Also, as a thank you for your patience, we will be including a gift with your purchase.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding, and we look forward to seeing you all behind your new 15" screens soon.

ALSO: Out of interest, our AppleCentre website goes live in the next 5 days, and will include really cool features like, order tracking, delivery schedules and up-to-date information regarding stock availability with Apple Computer Australia. Information which has previously been unavailable to customers.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding services or facilities that Australian customers would like to see, let me know here and I will get my developers to build it in.

Thanks all.

BENJAMIN MORGAN
AppleCentre TaylorSquare

Icekey
Oct 16, 2003, 07:44 AM
May I ask what this little gift is? I wouldn't mind if MyMac would do something for me after waiting for such a long time. Although they keep telling me that it's Apple Australia that is causing the delay, which is really true, I'm sure as a customer of MyMac, I am dealing with MyMac and not Apple Australia. Oh well, it doesn't matter. Just curious as to what you're giving out

RayEarth
Oct 16, 2003, 07:53 AM
OOO

THIS IS SOME NEWS!

gotta check with Chatswood AppleCentre tomorrow.....can't wait!

PowerBookMan
Oct 16, 2003, 08:54 PM
We have received further stocks today, and am happy to detail as follows:

1 x PowerBook G4 1GHz 15" Combo

10 x PowerBook G4 17"
22 x PowerMac G5 2Ghz Dual
5 x iMac G4 1GHz 15"
10 x iMac G4 1.25GHz 17"SuperDrive
10 x iPod 10GB
10 x iPod 20G
10 x iPod 40G
30 x Wireless Mouse

We are still awaiting much more stock, and am anticipating to receive the balance of our retail stock backorders, by Wednesday next week.

I shall keep you all posted regarding its progress.

Again.... we are still awaiting Apple to produce backorder 15" powerbooks. Please hang in there guys... not much further to go.

BENJAMIN MORGAN
AppleCentre TaylorSquare

RayEarth
Oct 16, 2003, 09:16 PM
Wow........but *1* 15" powerbook??

Gee Apple's getting really tight......Just rang up Maccentric, no luck, my BTO has not arrived yet......

*keep on dreaming*

PowerBookMan
Oct 16, 2003, 10:22 PM
After having only moved 6 15" units, I think they may be making a manufacturing adjustment with latches....

mmmm... ineresting.

Icekey
Oct 16, 2003, 10:35 PM
I can't believe that Apple isn't communicating with its resellers about the current situation in terms of lacking in numbers. For the user it's more frustrating cause they have no idea as to who is telling the truth, and whether or not their being dicked by pushed back in a queue of some sort or not.

I was surprised to find out that my PB is supposed to come today or on Monday when the guy at MyMac said there was absolutely no information on the website. Then he gives Apple Australia a call and is told that they're supposed to get it either today or Monday. Really shocking communication is all I can say!!!

So what gifts are you giving out powerbookman?

RayEarth
Oct 16, 2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by PowerBookMan
After having only moved 6 15" units, I think they may be making a manufacturing adjustment with latches....

mmmm... ineresting.

So the latch problem IS fixed or not? Or do those 6 machines still have the problem?

Very interesting indeed :D

Icekey
Oct 17, 2003, 08:31 AM
I finally received my CTO powerbook. The guys at My Mac said it was the very first one that they received for the 15" lineup. CTOs are coming in before the preconfigured ones, so go figure what Apple Australia is up to.

All I can say is that it is just one awesome piece of baby. I haven't had any of the problems people have been saying. Especially the latch problem. It's all good for me. But maybe tha'ts because it's a CTO and they paid close attention to the details before shipping. Who knows

PowerBookMan
Oct 17, 2003, 09:20 AM
Great to hear that you have received your laptop. You should be very happy with it, from all accounts they are a very slick computer.

Many hapy hours of Mac computing.

BENJAMIN MORGAN
AppleCentre TaylorSquare

tayvens
Oct 18, 2003, 01:05 AM
Icekey, congrats on your new baby.

Did you get Panther preinstalled or any info about discount/free Panther? I am still waiting for my 12 inch BTO to be delivered.

Icekey
Oct 18, 2003, 02:03 AM
Unfortunately no. I didn't have Panther preinstalled nor anything that was going to get me a copy of Panther.

Luckily though, I went to the up-to-date page for Panther, put in all my details including the purchase date as the 25th of September, and it said congratulations. So I ordered it. I've got to wait till Monday to get a confirmation on whether my order has actually been processed or not.

Golem
Oct 19, 2003, 10:26 PM
Well according to apple today they are shipping everything ordered before 19th september, Unforunately I ordered mine on 24th:(

Still I am hopeing to get it before next monday as i will be overseas for couple of weeks.

Icekey
Oct 20, 2003, 03:54 AM
If your order isn't a CTO, then I'd cancel the order and call around to find yourself a shop that is going to be able to get you one. I know that you would want to take it overseas with you =)

RayEarth
Oct 21, 2003, 08:21 AM
Just got my 15" 1.25 BTO!!!

It's perfect, no dead pixels, latch works perfectly....actually, has anyone in australia got those problems?

it may be just the US :P

Icekey
Oct 21, 2003, 08:29 AM
Yeah mine had a perfect latch, perfect build. Just starting to get those white spots I'm afraid. I'll have to wait about a month before I pursue this cause there is just too long of a wait for an lcd replacement, and seems like there isn't much of a fix for it atm.

aic
Oct 21, 2003, 08:30 AM
WTF,

How come i dont have mine. Everyone else seems too have them, and i am feeling very left out. Which store did you order from, what state are you in, or was it an order directly from apple. Maybe mine will come tommorrow... please please please...

tayvens
Oct 21, 2003, 08:41 AM
My 12 inch BTO arrived in Perth today. No dead pixels, no wobbles on flat surfaces, no latch problems. The cordless mouse also works well. I guess I got used to one click with my imac mouse.

I think I'm in love!!:cool:

Icekey
Oct 21, 2003, 09:33 AM
A very interesting phenomenon is happening here at Apple Australia. They are shipping only CTOs AFAIK. I think it's something to do with QC in that they are trying to examine each product to make sure that some of the issues that people have been complaining are dealt with, thus CTOs get the priority

soakwashrinse
Oct 21, 2003, 10:03 AM
I just noticed this thread... wow, I never knew there were stock problems with the 15-inchers in Australia. I ordered my BTO (1 x 512MB SO-DIMM) 15-inch 1.25GHz direct from Apple Education on 16/09 (a few hours after its announcement), shipped on 26/09 (a Friday), received it in Sydney on 29/09... a few days *before* its expected ship date. Luck, I guess.

Absolutely none of the reported problems surfaced with mine... I added an additional 512MB SO-DIMM bought from Crucial and a Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse... couldn't be happier.

Golem
Oct 21, 2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Icekey
If your order isn't a CTO, then I'd cancel the order and call around to find yourself a shop that is going to be able to get you one. I know that you would want to take it overseas with you =)

I am a developer so their is a significant price disadvantage at normal shops. But If I dont get any good news tomorrow I have arranged a swap of my g5 for a Ti 667 till I get back.

But its good to here everybody is getting theirs.

weev
Oct 21, 2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Icekey
A very interesting phenomenon is happening here at Apple Australia. They are shipping only CTOs AFAIK. I think it's something to do with QC in that they are trying to examine each product to make sure that some of the issues that people have been complaining are dealt with, thus CTOs get the priority

In the words of Pauline Hanson: "Please explain?"

Basically what's CTO if BTO is 'built to order'?

Icekey
Oct 21, 2003, 06:37 PM
CTO = Customed to Order

If you do the so called BTO, it'll be written on the tax invoice as a CTO. Same thing really

manitoubalck
Oct 21, 2003, 06:55 PM
It takes my computer store (run by none English speakers) 20mins max to get any product I want as long as it's before 5:30pm.

You could always order one from the US (cheaper and buy a power adapter.) If it were me though I would threaten to take my business elsewhere or receive a discount because of the continued delay. You could in the “extreme” case report them to the ACCC (Australian competition and consumer commission) for false advertising;)

Just a thought good luck:)

Golem
Oct 21, 2003, 10:23 PM
I wonder if something similar to this is part of the problem?

http://www.hardmac.com/ (http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2003-10-22#852)

As for false advertising the apple store was saying 1-2 days for G5 and pbook 6-7 days but I knew the reality was more like 2-3 weeks for both and apple themselves said they didnt know when the next shipment was, when I actually ordered by Phone. G5 came in 3 weeks and just coming up to 1 month and still waiting for pbook.

Buying from us doesnt really work unless you are actually their on travel and just bring it back with you. Duty+GST kills it otherwise.

soakwashrinse
Oct 21, 2003, 11:15 PM
Shipping a PowerBook (or any other computer) from the US will attract tax... any cost benefit will likely be wiped out. Buying from overseas is in most cases (with exceptions) only feasible if the value of the good is below A$1000. Even if you bring the items in on person, duty and tax is still due on items with a value >A$400... unless you don't declare and manage to evade customs (something you can't count on at all). Depending on what you buy, there might be issues with warranty claims too.

With regards to claims of "false advertising", there isn't really much of a case here. No money changes hands until shipment, and you are, of course, entitled to cancel your order at any time.

PowerBookMan
Oct 23, 2003, 08:50 PM
What are the perceived benefits of purchasing O/S?

weev
Oct 24, 2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by PowerBookMan
What are the perceived benefits of purchasing O/S?

If you go to the States you can pick up the PB 15" 1.25 for US$2599 which equates to A$3719 (1 AUD = 0.698 USD), or you could buy from a local reseller for A$4799.

A saving of over a grand!

Suggest to everyone to go on holidays and pick one up, almost like getting a free trip to New York. Remember to grab extended warranty which covers your machine internationally (ie, on the road).

The pleasure too is not giving any dosh to Howard! :D

Of course there are some problems doing this, like the 1 in a million chance customs catches you (would toss away the box and use the machine in your hotel for a bit). Or you buy a lemon machine and need to return it (more reason to extend your holiday).

It's illegal too so I really am kidding, guys, support local the local economy :p . Pay your duty! Do your duty. Be a good Australian!

Hong Kong is worth a bit of a look too, and quite price competitive.

Did someone mention iPods?

Sorry PowerBookman, I know you run a reseller store so please enlighten us with the other reasons for buying local.

Heh, you'd probably get your PB quicker as well, you could go OS, have a holiday, shop for Apple products with the current blooming exchange rate (has been tipped to reach 80c) and get home before the locally ordered one has even left the Asian factory, hee, hee.