PDA

View Full Version : Apple Working on Multi-Touch Mac?

MacRumors
Dec 19, 2007, 05:08 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

An Apple Job listing (http://jobs.apple.com/index.ajs?BID=1&method=mExternal.showJob&RID=11834&CurrentPage=1) (noted (http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/18/apple-hiring-multi-touch-engineer-for-mac-hardware-group) on Engadget) reveals that Apple is indeed working on multi-touch Mac hardware.

They are looking for a reliability engineer supporting Multi-touch panel development with Mac and iPod hardware groups. The job itself seems to involve high level quality assurance testing, but the involvement of the Mac hardware group seems to confirm that Apple is working to incorporate multi-touch technologies into future Macs.

This progression has been widely expected since the iPhone was first released, but this is the first (possible) indication from Apple.

9to5mac had previously (http://www.9to5mac.com/apple-to-release-new-aluminum-macbooks-7456543) suggested that the Apple sub-notebook might incorporate some of these features, but no further details have become available, so the timeframe for this integration remains speculative.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/19/apple-working-on-multi-touch-mac/)

psychofreak
Dec 19, 2007, 05:11 PM
I'm desperate to try this out, assuming its coming :)

Up until now, all the touch devices (bar the iPhone) I've used have been rubbish, and I think Apple are the people to change that...Jeff Han has shown me that multitouch on a big scale can be awesome...

MarlboroLite
Dec 19, 2007, 05:12 PM
I don't see the point of incorporating multi-touch in computers unless it's a tablet. The use of a mouse and keyboard are MUCH more efficient and productive than touching around all over the place and moving your arms. I never quite got the tablet fascination with some people....but there is a market for that and that is the only way I see multi touch being implemented by Apple....

Eidorian
Dec 19, 2007, 05:12 PM
A yawn for me.

It's interesting but not a sale for me.

Sate the masses Apple.

plumbingandtech
Dec 19, 2007, 05:14 PM
I'll be sure and quote you later. ;)

ezekielrage_99
Dec 19, 2007, 05:15 PM
Apple have released an iPhone and iPod Touch that use touch screen technology it just stands to reason that the next logical move would to incorporate this into their computer line somehow.

If an iPhone is the next logical step for the iPod to go in then I think we will eventually see a touch screen Mac.

~Shard~
Dec 19, 2007, 05:17 PM
I think ithis is very cool news, and a logical progression for the personal computing industry. Why use external devices such as mice and keyboards when you can use your own digits?

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6379146923853181774) is the Han demo of multi-touch technology on a larger scale. :cool:

ntrigue
Dec 19, 2007, 05:19 PM
There's been a great deal of interest in a tablet Apple for MacWorld. This article would suggest that the tablet form-factor is more likely for June at the earliest. Additionally, why would I invest in a tablet when this position will produce a much more comprehensive device? Did Apple intend to develop this product internally and fail?

~Shard~
Dec 19, 2007, 05:20 PM

Yeah, that sounds like a potential "Thread 500"-ish quote to me too... :p :D :cool:

bs6268d
Dec 19, 2007, 05:21 PM
ooo intersting but I want a new MacBook nowwwwww!

or maybe the rumor smaller macbook

Eidorian
Dec 19, 2007, 05:23 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a potential "Thread 500"-ish quote to me too... :p :D :cool:I believe it was directed at me.

Then again I don't expect anyone to have a memory like mine.

Hmac
Dec 19, 2007, 05:36 PM
This is news? It's inconceivable to me that Apple wouldn't be working on a multi-touch interface. I'll bet they have several other interface projects on their R&D plate too.

surfsnow
Dec 19, 2007, 05:44 PM
Before they make anything new again, hire more developers to make the Leopard to become stable... PLEASE... :mad:

FF_productions
Dec 19, 2007, 05:44 PM
Now they're putting those $15 billion to work!

SciTeach
Dec 19, 2007, 05:54 PM
Coming when...MWSF 2009? 2010?

IJ Reilly
Dec 19, 2007, 06:00 PM
This is too obvious not to happen. The touch interface on the iPhone and the iPod are stealth attacks on the public's expectations for a user interface. Integrating Coverflow into Leopard's Finder was no accident. Clearly, this is the direction Apple is headed.

iMikeT
Dec 19, 2007, 06:02 PM
Wow, I never thought I would see this coming.:rolleyes:

InkMaster
Dec 19, 2007, 06:05 PM
lol, don't you just love how every few weeks theres the same old rumor stating that probably eventually apple is definitely eventually maybe gonna work on a touch-screen mac and/or it will may be eventually released :p

ChrisA
Dec 19, 2007, 06:15 PM
I don't see the point of incorporating multi-touch in computers unless it's a tablet.

What if the trackpad on the typical notebook computer were replace with an iTouch screen?
You would not be doing multi-touch on a 30 inch ACD screen. On the desktop you could have a small tablet, like what Wacom makes and it could replace the mouse.

Actually being left handed. I can write with my left hand using the wacom pen and use the mouse with my right hand. All current macs already allow you to have both working at once.

SciTeach
Dec 19, 2007, 06:19 PM
lol, don't you just love how every few weeks theres the same old rumor stating that probably eventually apple is definitely eventually maybe gonna work on a touch-screen mac and/or it will may be eventually released :p

You could replace "touch-screen mac" with "some incredibly awesome advanced hi-tech feature and/or product" ;)

godslabrat
Dec 19, 2007, 06:21 PM
I don't see the point of incorporating multi-touch in computers unless it's a tablet. The use of a mouse and keyboard are MUCH more efficient and productive than touching around all over the place and moving your arms. I never quite got the tablet fascination with some people....

IAWTP. HP offered a touch-based computer around this time last year, and it was really cool for about five minutes, then most people using it went back to using the kb+mouse to get any serious work done. My main complaint about Tablet PCs is that the hinge that allows the screen to swivel around always seems to be an expensive accident waiting to happen. For this reason, I am hoping that Apple has another solution in mind besides an Apple-Brand tablet, competing with the likes of Toshiba and Lenovo.

I'm not totally dismissing the concept. As I've said before, I'd be very interested in a PDA-type device that would give me Wifi and Word in my pocket. So far, this hasn't been ruled out as a possibility. But, if the screen size is anything more than 10", I might as well get a Macbook.

rdowns
Dec 19, 2007, 06:21 PM
Integrating Coverflow into Leopard's Finder was no accident.

Hmmm, never struck me as a marketing ploy. I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Peace
Dec 19, 2007, 06:26 PM
Multi-Touch is the future.. Earlier this year I speculated on a device that sits in a dock on your coffee table.It disconnects from the dock and can be placed on a wall or in your shop.Email,photos,video conferencing etc. The potential is endless.

puuukeey
Dec 19, 2007, 06:52 PM
maybe we'll finally get an alternative to windows and folders!!!!!!

fooey to that

Digital Skunk
Dec 19, 2007, 06:54 PM
Great... more garbage rumors about a Mac Multi-touch computer and just as bad mockups by Photoshop beginners.

Hopefully Apple will be able to replace that Mighty Mouse with something more practical, or at least a mouse that can allow me to right click while my finger is still on the left click button.

M!K
Dec 19, 2007, 06:54 PM
i'd love to see a Touch-screen. It's one of my many dreams!

Decrepit
Dec 19, 2007, 07:09 PM
You could use it when the occasion warranted it. Otherwise, it's out of the way.

It's only a little data that needs to move to the computer from the pad, so BT would offer plenty of bandwidth.

I'd buy it.

ChrisA
Dec 19, 2007, 07:14 PM
"Hi, I'm Steve and welcome to my weekly podcast, Super-secret Apple Rumors." (huge laughs) "I have some pretty good sources inside Apple, and the next iPod is going to be HUGE, an 8-pounder with a 10-inch screen … See you next week."

The above quote was from Steve's 2006 keynote. Perhaps he knew then that Apple would be selling a 10 inch version of an iPod Touch by 2008. Ok let's hope it's lighter than 8 pounds but the development hardware in the lab in 2006 likely was 8 pounds. Maybe he was not joking

Or maybe the joke was that he was telling the truth and no one would believe it at the time.

MattInOz
Dec 19, 2007, 07:52 PM
Hmmm, never struck me as a marketing ploy. I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Wasn't it at All Things D durring the Bill and Steve Should when asked about multi-touch and the Mac?
Steve said something along the lines of...

They had to put the idea into a separate and new device first, to get people use to the idea. People are resistant to change you need to train them to think the idea is there own, before you could roll it back in to the main lines.

So...
iPhone Break through device
iTouch roll back to iPod line
Coverflow training mac users to want to reach out and touch.

Zillatron
Dec 19, 2007, 08:14 PM

Agreed. Coverflow is great on the iPod because you can touch it and flick and then tap and go to your albums and 'BOOM' you did what you were thinking.

But it was pointless in OS X proper until Quick Look, NOW its really useful because you can scroll sideways (at least on Mighty Mouse) then space bar (tap) to open most files without another app.

So take that idea onto a 10"-12" ipod touch/iphone, which already runs OS X and is one software update away from being able to do all that...keeping in mind is ALREADY does CoverFlow.

We've covered this already in lots-o-detail in our blog...Just another indication Apple are perusing this fairly aggressively.

Z

Stang68
Dec 19, 2007, 09:23 PM
Why the **** is this a story...again? Ugh...we get it. They are looking into touch screens and OS's...so is MS. WHooop dee dooo. Ultra-portable notebook? Thats new info! NOT. :eek:

twoodcc
Dec 19, 2007, 09:25 PM
i hope this happens soon.....like macworld. but i doubt it will. looking forward to when it happens though

Orng
Dec 19, 2007, 09:39 PM
Well, I know it's all hearsay and rumours... but this is a rumour site, so suck it up :) but it might be worth noting Admin's response to my comment (http://9to5mac.com/apple-touch-mac-439234595#comment-5276) re: "Something strange about the trackpad" etc. over on 9to5mac today. They were right about the Nano and the iPod Touch, after all... :)

RoboCop001
Dec 19, 2007, 09:51 PM
Why the **** is this a story...again? Ugh...we get it. They are looking into touch screens and OS's...so is MS. WHooop dee dooo. Ultra-portable notebook? Thats new info! NOT. :eek:

Then I command you to go forth into the world and gather information! And do not return until you have found tales of wonder and excitement! Now fly! Flyyyyyyyy!!!

Upon successful return you shall be rewarded with magics beyond your most fantastic dreams, nay, more fantastic than anyone could possibly dream of.

However if you return with nothing, I shall promise you that I will look the other way should Baal find you and torture you like he did the shova Teal'c.

Stang68
Dec 19, 2007, 10:18 PM
Then I command you to go forth into the world and gather information! And do not return until you have found tales of wonder and excitement! Now fly! Flyyyyyyyy!!!

Upon successful return you shall be rewarded with magics beyond your most fantastic dreams, nay, more fantastic than anyone could possibly dream of.

However if you return with nothing, I shall promise you that I will look the other way should Baal find you and torture you like he did the shova Teal'c.

I sense some sarcasm. :rolleyes:

MacAddict1978
Dec 19, 2007, 10:34 PM
Aside from tablets, I could see this being useful in a non-consumer fashion such as kiosks and information desks and the like. Kiosks often incorporate really odd keyboards.

On a consumer front, I would cringe at everyone touching the screen! I HATE when people feel the need to do that. Especially on laptops. It's just wrong!

However, it would make for one kick ass game of collapse.... <g>

ckurowic
Dec 19, 2007, 11:05 PM
I don't see the point of incorporating multi-touch in computers unless it's a tablet. The use of a mouse and keyboard are MUCH more efficient and productive than touching around all over the place and moving your arms. I never quite got the tablet fascination with some people....but there is a market for that and that is the only way I see multi touch being implemented by Apple....

Indeed. The same way I feel. There is NO WAY you can use a touch screen faster than a mouse and keyboard. Lets move our ENTIRE ARM to the screen, slide things around, etc. OR lets type 120 WPM and move the pointer across the screen with a mouse in less than a quarter inch.....

You could use it when the occasion warranted it. Otherwise, it's out of the way.

It's only a little data that needs to move to the computer from the pad, so BT would offer plenty of bandwidth.

I'd buy it.

Of course you'd buy it. Ugh.

WildPalms
Dec 19, 2007, 11:12 PM
I believe it was directed at me.

Then again I don't expect anyone to have a memory like mine.

LMAO, funniest response of 2007!

MacinDoc
Dec 19, 2007, 11:18 PM
I believe Apple canned the Newton at the time because the technology was not available to make the device very useful. Subsequently, SJ said on a number of occasions that the time was not right for a tablet. Now, Apple has the hardware and software technology to produce a tablet that functions much more intuitively than anything currently available. You might even say that the iPhone and iPod Touch were largely a testing ground for the technology that, as it matures, will find its way into Newton II. IIRC, at a keynote in the past year, SJ said that Apple was working on its most exciting products ever (I know, typical Apple marketing...)

I believe that the Mac tablet will be a reality. It may not come at MWSF 2008, but I suspect we will see it by MWSF 2009 at the latest.

mikeinternet
Dec 19, 2007, 11:28 PM
maybe the touchscreen will not be intended to replace but to supplement a keyboard and mouse (at least at first).

think of an imac that works great how you know it and love it, but you can also just touch it whenever.

*just thinking out loud. i'm sure apple would not do anything so lame. just saying that i think it will take a transition.

Clive At Five
Dec 19, 2007, 11:29 PM
The job itself seems to involve high level quality assurance testing...

Quality assurance testing... Stop me if I'm reading too much into this, but wouldn't this imply that the bulk of the development has already been done and they're working on tweaking?

*licks chops*

-Clive

FX120
Dec 19, 2007, 11:37 PM
Aside from tablets, I could see this being useful in a non-consumer fashion such as kiosks and information desks and the like. Kiosks often incorporate really odd keyboards.

You mean like those 'U-Scan' self checkout things at the supermarkets these days?

I swear a lot of people on this forum are like "Wow! Touchscreen technology!That's something totally new and has never been used anywhere, just imagine how this could change our lives!!!"

Touch screens have been around for years, and are becoming very common on just about anything other than desktop computers. Industrial automation, cash registers, refrigerators, GPS systems, bus stops, ATM's, literally they are everywhere.

Ultimately the reason they aren't on everyones desks these days isn't because the technology hasn't been available, because it has been for years. It's because when you're sitting at your desk, you don't want to have to lift up your arms and touch the screen when you can move your mouse a half of an inch in a quarter of a second, and accomplish the same task. Prime example is the touchscreen HP computer. Fun to play with for about 5 minutes before you arms get tired. Most touch screen devices you will run into have the display at just above waist height so it is at a natural level to use when you're standing up.

Touch screens are great in places where a mouse just isn't practical. But otherwise they're only fun for casual use.

hijofrizbe
Dec 19, 2007, 11:56 PM
I have to say that this may be the opportunity for apple to expand from the individual consumer to businesses... on a small scale imagine your ATM using an Apple Interface with a touch screen instead of the wonderful NCR interface that is touch / keypad (at least in the case of Chase). Cash registers and the like are a large market that seems to be untapped by "new" technology. As respectful as one can be to NCR... they're still behind in the times. Just a thought?:D

MacFly123
Dec 20, 2007, 12:03 AM

Congratulations, you are a huge nerd lol :)

matthewHUB
Dec 20, 2007, 12:06 AM
Does this mean no touchy stuff in the new ultraportable at Macworld? Surely they would have hired somebody sooner if that was going to have touch integration..

vga4life
Dec 20, 2007, 12:12 AM
Gorilla Arm. Look it up.

Multitouch is a gimmick for 99.5% of applications. Support it as an option if it's cheap enough to do so - why not? - but by and large I expect to still be typing on a physical keyboard and using a pointing device abstracted from the 1:1 scale of the display in 10 years, because typing on a screen with no physical feedback sucks and moving your whole arm and hand around a screen for an 8 or 12 hour workday to manipulate a cursor is exhausting.

MacFly123
Dec 20, 2007, 12:12 AM
I agree with all the people on here saying it is NOT practical. For conventional computer use, a mouse and keyboard is MUCH faster. As I recall Steve Jobs said at the All Things D conference with Bill gates that they weren't quite sure how the technology should be implemented into computers, or if he even thought it should be at all. If Apple does do it, it will be a Newton like tablet, and if they do it on computers it will be on the trackpad, or a multi-touch mouse with a normal keyboard as well, NOT the screen. That is the only way it would make sense and work. DONE! :rolleyes:

BrokenChairs
Dec 20, 2007, 12:42 AM
I'd like to see a wireless peripheral on the finger to act as a mouse, so you just wave your finger(s) around to do what you want. Still have the keyboard to type and the spare hand to move things. I'd be more interested in that than touch-screen. Plus I have to clean it. :(

TurboSC
Dec 20, 2007, 12:46 AM
Does this mean no touchy stuff in the new ultraportable at Macworld? Surely they would have hired somebody sooner if that was going to have touch integration..

I wouldn't rule that possibility out just yet. The team that designed the iPhone / iPod Touch got it right... what's to say they didn't work on a touchscreen device afterwards...

This could just be a cry out from Apple because they know how successful their touchscreen products are, and want to expand the technology faster.

MacFly123
Dec 20, 2007, 12:48 AM
I'd like to see a wireless peripheral on the finger to act as a mouse, so you just wave your finger(s) around to do what you want. Still have the keyboard to type and the spare hand to move things. I'd be more interested in that than touch-screen. Plus I have to clean it. :(

AMEN, especially as a video person I HATE when people touch my screen and leave finger prints, HATE it!

brewcitywi
Dec 20, 2007, 01:24 AM
You have to give Apple the benefit of the doubt on any future device. They have had some pretty good instincts. A multi-touch computer would really change a lot about how we interact with our machines. Not only with a keyboard and mouse...but how each software program writes it's software. Imagine Photoshop...everything we do in there would change...menus, filters, commands, views, etc.

I remember Steve Jobs almost purposely postponing video on the iPod, simply because he didn't think everyone (and the technology) was quite ready.

So, I have confidence that whatever they produce has the potential of being groundbreaking. But, an entire multi-touch computer might be a bit early for it's time...I think it would completely change computing, in the long run, but I suppose it has to go step by step.

kontheur
Dec 20, 2007, 02:13 AM
How about this:

http://www.frankreinders.nl/foto/800/macbooktouch.jpg

Only a Multi-Touch input device. No touchscreen, just the input has Multi-Touch.
Imagine what you can do with it....

Sijmen
Dec 20, 2007, 02:14 AM
I just hope this pays off, it would make for some great gaming :)

aswitcher
Dec 20, 2007, 02:15 AM
Good signs. I still think a touch pad or ipod touch as an input tool would rock.

Eidorian
Dec 20, 2007, 02:15 AM
How about this:

http://www.frankreinders.nl/foto/800/macbooktouch.jpg

Only a Multi-Touch input device. No touchscreen, just the input has Multi-Touch.
Imagine what you can do with it....teh sex!

TurboSC
Dec 20, 2007, 02:18 AM
Good signs. I still think a touch pad or ipod touch as an input tool would rock.

as awesome as that would be, what happens if you don't have an iPod touch... does that mean you have a nice little hole in your notebook?

zarusoba
Dec 20, 2007, 04:17 AM
For those of you who find the idea of a touch Mac unattractive, I invite you to cast your mind back to 1985 (if indeed you were around in '85).

"I don't need a GUI."
"DOS runs faster."
"The 3.5 inch disks are too small!"

And on it went. Narrow-minded resistance to change.

Zillatron
Dec 20, 2007, 04:37 AM
Narrow-minded resistance to change.

Oh so true. People aren't thinking 'where the puck is going to be'.

If there is some sort of Multi-Touch Mac on the horizon, it wont be like any sort of 'laptop' you've come to expect. It won't be a 'typical' pocket sized device - by typical I mean a shrunken laptop with limited functionality because of <-insert any number of reasons here...again Re:blog->.

Multi-Touch is a new platform like the iPod and the Bitmap screen+Mouse before it.

geeez....Think Different already :apple:

Z

carlitofox
Dec 20, 2007, 05:01 AM
multi touch will not replace the mouse and keyboard yet or for a long time for that matter imho

i think your spot on when you look at the new finder in 10.5 multi touch will be used for things like that, the dock and scrolling in safari etc .

it's a "quicker", "simpler" way of doing things and we all know thats what apples about.

imagine tapping the safari icon in the dock hitting your fav tab and then flicking down the screen to read the page.

or tapping mail and hitting your email to open it

Kuska
Dec 20, 2007, 05:09 AM
How about this:

[Removed Image]

That looks great - saw something similar on a back page of iCreate last year and the keyboard area changed based on requirement i.e for Photoshop you had all of your pallettes and tools, Garageband - well, up pops a touch sensitive midi keyboard or set of drums ! - how about touch sensitive mixing controls for music or video editing..............perhaps 'Spaces' could go dual screen when you needed it too...............I think if delivered the right way, the list could be endless and the benefits, real.

eddyb64
Dec 20, 2007, 05:31 AM
C'mon creative Apple type people, let's have some imagination. It seems many people are focused on the kind of computers they currently use. Think outside that box, whether it's a nice aluminium one, a white plastic one, or a towerful one.

I agree that for everday, all-day work it's going to be hard to beat a keyboard and mouse, and waving your arms at a vertical screen all day is plain daft. The laptop mock up posted was nice, but I'm not convinced a perfectly servicable keyboard needs to be replaced.

To those who say touch is not new and hasn't caught on, well, I think you're right and wrong. The new factor is not touch but rather the effective implementation of multitouch, including the on-screen keyboard.

I think we're missing the possibilities of this new tech. Here's bit of something I posted on another forum. Run with it and see how many uses you can come up with for this ubiquitous bit of home/travel kit.

--

A new breed of portable computer that's not laptop, nor a phone, and definitely not a Newton. Take the touchscreen tech and give me something with, say, a 5, 7 or 10 inch screen that's sleek like the iPhone. I will use this on my lap to surf in whatever room I find myself. I can slap it on the wall in the kitchen and pull up a recipe, or find something cool to watch on Joost, or call up my iTunes library to catch up on a show I've AppleTVed from EyeTV, or just listen to tunes whilst cooking.

Yes, it will run Mac OS X, it won't sync but will actually network with Mail on my iMac so I can mail whilst half watching that half interesting TV show. I'll use the on-screen keyboard for this, which will be nicer than the iPhone's simply because it will be larger and more suitable for man-thumbs.

I'll read eBooks on it too, with a great touch interface where I turn a page by flicking the corner and the page will be seen to turn. I'll be able to add notes, look up words in the dictionary, place book marks, etc.

Bung a forward facing camera on it and I can vid-iChat with the kids upstairs when dinner is ready, or with my parents, without having to sit at my desk.

And lo, the MacTouch is born. (or tMac?)

A small version of the MacTouch will make a great travel computer for when I don't need all the functionality of a laptop. It'll need suitable ports to enable me to upload the day's photos or video. A big enough drive to store this. The ability to write a blog so folks back home will know what I'm up to, and that eBook reader again so I'll have plenty to keep me occupied on those days that need to be killed, the days when the adventure just can't happen. Email and Web and WiFi? Goes without saying, doesn't it?

Let my MacTouch interface to my AppleTV so I don't need to switch on my energy-sucking, planet-warming flatscreen TV just to play a CD through my HiFi.

Now, make my AppleTV a decent, fully featured media centre which networks my centrally stored media library to all my devices, whether iMac, MacBook or MacTouch ...

Zillatron
Dec 20, 2007, 05:38 AM
imagine tapping the safari icon in the dock hitting your fav tab and then flicking down the screen to read the page.

You just described what you already do on iPhone or iPod touch, but less dock. It's reserved for 'core' applications for the device (like Phone, Music etc)....

When i say 'Multi-Touch' i mean the platform as a whole, not just the input mechanism. If you like, it's the Multi-touch 'version' of OS X that makes it work. Making the interface work, then layering the hardware on top of that make it do-able.

So this thing wont have your 'typical' OS X desktop, it's a Multi-touch Mac.
Z

edit: I forgot to touch on the usability thing people are harping on...you use your iPod to carry part of your iTunes library around with you but you don't manage your library on your iPod. This would be the same thing for your Mac.

It's NOT a replacement for a laptop, its a totally different device. I put it in the hole between and iPhone and Macbook.

Orng
Dec 20, 2007, 07:44 AM
Maybe we'll see a Mac ad where Mac is dressed up in black tights and round glasses like Dieter from Sprockets, and he says to PC;

"Vould you like to touch my MacBook? Touch him! Love him! Berühre meinen Affen. Liebe meinen Affen-MacBook! PC, your agony is gorgeous, vould you like to strike me?"

The anticipation pulls down my pants and taunts me. :cool:

ThinkGeek
Dec 20, 2007, 08:08 AM
How about this:

[Removed Image]

whoa thats one sweet 'Book!

~Shard~
Dec 20, 2007, 08:39 AM
by and large I expect to still be typing on a physical keyboard and using a pointing device abstracted from the 1:1 scale of the display in 10 years

I'm sure the same was said about using punch cards back in the day... :p ;)

moving your whole arm and hand around a screen for an 8 or 12 hour workday to manipulate a cursor is exhausting.

No no, it's called a workout! Now instead of going to the gym to work out for an hour every day, I could perhaps free up some extra time since I'd be exercising while I worked. After all it, is is called "work"! ;) :cool:

RRK
Dec 20, 2007, 09:33 AM

I heard that.

rockstarjoe
Dec 20, 2007, 10:26 AM
My idea:

The device will be about the size of a piece of letter paper (maybe 8x10"). It will be a touchscreen only, with no physical keyboard, similar to the iPod touch and iPhone. It will run a full version of Leopard, but with special touchscreen features like a pop-up keyboard (a la Touch and iPhone). It will have an iPod style port at the bottom and one USB port.

Included will be a special dock that will hold the device at an angle (similar to the angle of an open laptop screen). The dock will have an extra USB port, allowing you to connect a keyboard and mouse, and a network plug. Along with Wi-fi, the device will have Bluetooth so that you can use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

So essentially you could set it up on your desk like a small laptop and do "real" productive typing / mouse related tasks, and when you are on the go you can handle everything via touchscreen.

What do you think?

eddyb64
Dec 20, 2007, 10:31 AM
My idea:

So essentially you could set it up on your desk like a small laptop and do "real" productive typing / mouse related tasks, and when you are on the go you can handle everything via touchscreen.

What do you think?

I think I like. That would make for an interesting compromise device.

_iCeb0x_
Dec 20, 2007, 11:02 AM
Nah! This thread is too long to read, but I think I could say some things.

I don't understand why people say it's impractical to use a computer with your hands and arms. It seems these people never eat, never reach for a cup of coffee on the corner of the table, never turn off the alarm clock... Oh, no! I don't want to stretch my arms to do everyday tasks! I have a keyboard and a mouse that I could use!

Remember: the desktop metaphor, invented at the Xerox PARC and perfected at Apple, has to evolve.

Computers emulate everyday tasks, like organizing documents in folders, typing (or writing, with a pen) letters and other documents, sorting through these documents, piling these documents at the corner of your desk for future reference, using appliances that sit on your desk, and other things. Just to give an example, my calculator is used more often than the damn Dashboard widget, because it feels more natural to me.

Unless you are a casino dealer, you touch stuff with your hands! I don't use a mouse to sort through my wardrobe to choose my clothes.

If you could use a computer in the same way you manipulate real life objects, it would be much more straight-forward! The desktop metaphor would be even more obvious. It would finally make a computer look and feel like the real thing.

Kicking away the keyboard and mouse, the dream envisioned by Steve Jobs would finally come true: the computer would look like an appliance, in just one piece. He always went for the all-in-one design because he understands it's harder for people to conceive something that's made from several distinct parts.

And, for those that would argue that a multi-touch interface would be impractical for drawing, just use a stylus.

I belive the final Apple product would be better than Jeff Han's experiments and WAY MUCH better than any crappy "table" Microsoft can come up with.

But maybe it's just the way I see things...

Cheers,
_iCeb0x_

ckurowic
Dec 20, 2007, 11:37 AM
+1

Clearly....nothing is clear. This is a rumors site after all. Touch may have its place on certain devices, however I do not believe it is a practical technology to incorporate into larger devices. As far as coverflow...Apple tested this software in iTunes long before Leopard was out. I don't see any correlation between this and a touch interface. I don't think cover flow was built specifically for touch interfaces. While coverflow is kinda neat to view pictures, normal document viewing sucks in my opinion. I've got a 19 inch monitor, and I have to make my Finder window HUGE to see what in the world the document is.

I'm not sure why tons of people on here are so excited and willing to drop hard earned cash whenever Apple introduces something new. Especially a nonexistant touch interface laptop. I can see that working out real well on your next plane ride. "Oops, excuse me, oops excuse me" as you keep hitting the person next to you because you have to raise your entire arm to move some documents around in the Finder....

If we are talking PURE efficiency, the trackpad/keyboard is it...think about it. Even on a desktop system, to move the pointer all the way from one corner of the screen to another, you have to move a single finger (trackpad) or your hand for a desktop machine, maybe 1 inch at the most. With a touch screen, guess what, that 20 inch screen means that you have to move your entire arm 20 inches across the screen.

For those of you who find the idea of a touch Mac unattractive, I invite you to cast your mind back to 1985 (if indeed you were around in '85).

"I don't need a GUI."
"DOS runs faster."
"The 3.5 inch disks are too small!"

And on it went. Narrow-minded resistance to change.

I like your personal insults to justify a technology most people don't need.

On top of everything else I've said about how frivolous all this is, what about all those nasty finger print marks that having a touch screen leaves.

Even if Apple releases a touch screen Mac...lord knows I've got better things to spend my money on.

Nah! This thread is too long to read, but I think I could say some things.

I don't understand why people say it's impractical to use a computer with your hands and arms. It seems these people never eat, never reach for a cup of coffee on the corner of the table, never turn off the alarm clock... Oh, no! I don't want to stretch my arms to do everyday tasks! I have a keyboard and a mouse that I could use!

Remember: the desktop metaphor, invented at the Xerox PARC and perfected at Apple, has to evolve.

Computers emulate everyday tasks, like organizing documents in folders, typing (or writing, with a pen) letters and other documents, sorting through these documents, piling these documents at the corner of your desk for future reference, using appliances that sit on your desk, and other things. Just to give an example, my calculator is used more often than the damn Dashboard widget, because it feels more natural to me.

Unless you are a casino dealer, you touch stuff with your hands! I don't use a mouse to sort through my wardrobe to choose my clothes.

If you could use a computer in the same way you manipulate real life objects, it would be much more straight-forward! The desktop metaphor would be even more obvious. It would finally make a computer look and feel like the real thing.

Kicking away the keyboard and mouse, the dream envisioned by Steve Jobs would finally come true: the computer would look like an appliance, in just one piece. He always went for the all-in-one design because he understands it's harder for people to conceive something that's made from several distinct parts.

And, for those that would argue that a multi-touch interface would be impractical for drawing, just use a stylus.

I belive the final Apple product would be better than Jeff Han's experiments and WAY MUCH better than any crappy "table" Microsoft can come up with.

But maybe it's just the way I see things...

Cheers,
_iCeb0x_

Uhhh....machines are supposed to make our lives easier. What don't you understand about that? I think there are other areas that computers could benefit from before useless touch screen technology. Things like, developing AI for one. An operating system that actually KNOWS what its doing (and please, I'll vomit if anyone claims that OS X already does know what its doing. Software/hardware is stupid, it has NO CLUE what is going on). How about we get Mr. Jobs's team on that. As far as reaching for coffee etc, yeah, so, we want to add more things we do physically? (I run 6.5 miles a day, so don't give me crap about physical activity). I have an idea, lets expand repetitive motion injuries from just our fingers and wrists to elbows and shoulders because we now have to move our whole arm to move a damned document. Okay, you all buy this crap if it actually comes out, but I'll stick to my mouse and keyboard. Lame lame lame.

By the way, heres a touch kit for Macs already out there. ....

http://trolltouch.com/

Much Ado
Dec 20, 2007, 11:54 AM
By the way, heres a touch kit for Macs already out there. ....

http://trolltouch.com/

Err...that's just a Mac with a touchscreen...

RoboCop001
Dec 20, 2007, 12:28 PM
I sense some sarcasm. :rolleyes:

;) :p

Congratulations, you are a huge nerd lol :)

Which part gave it away? lol My user name, the way I typed, or the last bit about tealc? :D

_iCeb0x_
Dec 20, 2007, 01:15 PM
Uhhh....machines are supposed to make our lives easier. What don't you understand about that? I think there are other areas that computers could benefit from before useless touch screen technology. Things like, developing AI for one. An operating system that actually KNOWS what its doing (and please, I'll vomit if anyone claims that OS X already does know what its doing. Software/hardware is stupid, it has NO CLUE what is going on). How about we get Mr. Jobs's team on that. As far as reaching for coffee etc, yeah, so, we want to add more things we do physically? (I run 6.5 miles a day, so don't give me crap about physical activity). I have an idea, lets expand repetitive motion injuries from just our fingers and wrists to elbows and shoulders because we now have to move our whole arm to move a damned document. Okay, you all buy this crap if it actually comes out, but I'll stick to my mouse and keyboard. Lame lame lame.

Well... I get your point. I now people that prefer using the command line for some tasks... And the user should decide which is the best interface and which one he'll use.

I think you got some things wrong, like the personal part. No one in the Earth could know you run, swim or lift weights by looking at this forum. I go to the gym everyday but, thank God, it doesn't matter.

I already expressed my personal opinion about the touch interface. The only thing I could add is that I think it's a viable product idea, that would appeal to the average computer user, of course, if well implemented. And its taking into account the very purpose of a machine: making life easier. I believe keyboard and mice are not the best ways to make computer user's lifes easier.

About RMI, did you know that people that type on high desks (or low chairs), have more problems because they tend to keep their shoulders under stress? The problem is not only about what you move, but also the stress you put on certain parts of the body, even if you don't move exactly that part.

Just to put and end to this, before it turn into trolling and flaming, I am not trying to convince you to buy anything. And I hope you're not trying to convince me that I am plain wrong. It's a matter of opinion.

destroyboredom
Dec 20, 2007, 01:35 PM
You heard it here first- Quadcore G5 Macbook Pro Touch ;) Safari will be so much snapier.

gr8ful
Dec 20, 2007, 01:54 PM
Why do so many of you get bent out of shape at the notion that Apple may produce a multi-touch tablet or Mac? Apple is no longer a computer/iPod company only, they are becoming much more.

Apple is slowly becoming a 'consumer electronics' company not just a pc, laptop and ipod company. They drop 'Computer' from their name and broaden the product family outside of computers with AppleTV and the iPhone. They've ventured out into online music and video content delivery (iTunes) with video rentals likely to follow soon. They are working with automotive companies and designing automotive user interfaces. This is no longer your father's Apple Computer company, they are becoming a full-fledged consumer electronics provider.

This means that you will continue to see Apple produce an even wider variety of 'consumer electronics' devices for many different markets, some mainstream (like pc & mobile phones) and some niche (possibly like the tablet market).

I know a touch Mac or tablet makes no sense to some of you, which means you are not the intended audience. For others, this is 'exactly' what they have been waiting for. I like what Apple is becoming because it means we will have an even wider variety of Apple products and appliances to choose from. Apple is becoming the next General Electric.

You heard it here first (at least I think I'm first...somebody Google that to make sure) and that's my $.02 .

needthephone
Dec 22, 2007, 07:46 PM
I agree with some of the posters here that apple is becoming more than a dull commputer company-sorry but I and most people (sorry) just don't get turned on by computers, even if they are macs (well I agree macs are lovely to use and several eons ahead of PC's in the evolutionary scale). What I want is a big ipod touch/iphone. Who wants a keyboard (well there could and will have to be be a virtual one at the bottom) The ipod touch is just a revelation to use and is the future of computing. Can I have a big one please?

Billy Boo Bob
Dec 23, 2007, 04:14 AM
It cracks me up how so many people respond with "I would rather use a keyboard and mouse". It isn't like Apple's going to force you into using only a large version of the iPhone keyboard if they did this TS Mac. You're certainly free to never touch your screen if you so choose.

However, I think of my Aunt, who is new to computers... I have to explain in great detail how to click and hold on an object to drag it to another location with a mouse. There is so much with the computer where she just "doesn't get it", and never will. In her case, if she were able to touch and drag a file or folder from one desktop window to another, it would make perfect sense to her. She would "get it" after the first try. "Dragging" would take on a whole new meaning (or at least a more understandable meaning).

I see it making sense with apps like iPhoto, when you're moving images around in a book layout. Much the same with iWeb, Pages, and especially Keynote... Dragging images out of the photos palette and sliding them around in the layout, for instance.

In my case, I would love to have multi-touch, either as an option or just built-in (assuming it doesn't drive the cost up dramatically). If you don't need it, or don't like it, don't use it. Simple as that. It isn't like CoverFlow will all of the sudden "only" work with touch. They'll keep the mouse and KB involved with it as well.

As for that mock-up laptop image earlier on... I don't think I'd like a flat keyboard like that. A large part of what allows me to type as fast (and somewhat accurate) as I do has to do with the feel of actual physical keys.

Although for a device that's not designed to be a common use computer it could be cool if it were like an earlier mock-up (based on a patent application, I believe) that showed a touch screen on the bottom that could change into different things based on what program is being run (sliders for a music mixing app, for instance).

Zillatron
Dec 26, 2007, 06:09 AM
Although for a device that's not designed to be a common use computer it could be cool
It would be perfect! iPhone isn't ment to be a computer in the 'normal' sense.

Even though it can DO most of the 'every-day' things you expect a computer to do...web and email. Add photos, video, an iPod, youtube and the standard 'widgets'...then ad a pinch of an SDK which will undoubtedly give you a whole heap more widgets and apps specific to what people need on the go.

All of a sudden having a keyboard and mouse is pointless because you can already use all that WITHOUT them anyway. You wouldn't use an iPhone/iPod touch as your 'primary' web browsing machine, but at the same time you can't use an iMac on a train in the morning (easily ;) )

Z

coffey7
Dec 26, 2007, 09:16 PM
The last thing I want to do it touch my computer screen. I hate when people come over and touch the screen with dirty paws.

wesk702
Dec 26, 2007, 10:52 PM
Why do so many of you get bent out of shape at the notion that Apple may produce a multi-touch tablet or Mac? Apple is no longer a computer/iPod company only, they are becoming much more.

Apple is slowly becoming a 'consumer electronics' company not just a pc, laptop and ipod company. They drop 'Computer' from their name and broaden the product family outside of computers with AppleTV and the iPhone. They've ventured out into online music and video content delivery (iTunes) with video rentals likely to follow soon. They are working with automotive companies and designing automotive user interfaces. This is no longer your father's Apple Computer company, they are becoming a full-fledged consumer electronics provider.

This means that you will continue to see Apple produce an even wider variety of 'consumer electronics' devices for many different markets, some mainstream (like pc & mobile phones) and some niche (possibly like the tablet market).

I know a touch Mac or tablet makes no sense to some of you, which means you are not the intended audience. For others, this is 'exactly' what they have been waiting for. I like what Apple is becoming because it means we will have an even wider variety of Apple products and appliances to choose from. Apple is becoming the next General Electric.

You heard it here first (at least I think I'm first...somebody Google that to make sure) and that's my $.02 .

All I'm hoping for is for them to make a TV. Would love to see what that'd be like

CWallace
Dec 28, 2007, 01:45 PM
One wonders if Apple has something like the Optimus Tactus keyboard (http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus-tactus/) in mind?

Digital Skunk
Dec 28, 2007, 05:04 PM
One wonders if Apple has something like the Optimus Tactus keyboard (http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus-tactus/) in mind?

Hopefully without the uber-ridiculous price tag and the lack of tactile feedback for professional, speedy, accurate typing.

If we want to improve the keyboard, make is so that I don't even need one in the first place. I hope tech companies aren't trying to reinvent the wheel with this concept of a flat, smooth, touch keyboard.

t0mat0
Dec 29, 2007, 07:51 AM
Saves the main screen (which wil be vertical, and in front of you). Solves the ergonomics of using it (having to reach out to touch your main monitor, versus moving wrist slighty past the mouse to the pad).

Upgrades any mac you plug it into.
A standard format, that any program developer could start using. With the overlap of Apple's style in UI, couldn't the iPhone's touch interface experience be fed back into other more desktop programs?
e.g. Pinch a pic in Photoshop CS3. Think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIxf3ndi34E
e.g. Flick through files in preview 9surely finder and preview are screaming out for a touch interface, now we know it works well on an iPhone?
e.g. 3D modeling? An auxillary/.rival to glove/3 knob systems
e.g. Mail/? want to get rid of that, that that that and that email? a mouse does point and poke very badly in comparison to a finger.

I'd have thought they'd be jumping at the chance of pushing multitouch tech now iPhone's grabbed attention (have a look at how fast people learn the interface at iPhone stands at the stands at O2 etc - a quick word from a neighbouring user, a play around - the interface gets rid of a lot of fear that timid/non-knowedgable first time users have. )