PDA

View Full Version : My New 15" Squeaks!

Zachary
Oct 2, 2003, 02:53 PM
I had my brand new 15" refuse to find the system disk after booting it as a firewire drive recently so I had to install a new OS. Ever since doing that it squeaks. Tiny little squeaking noises coming from the general under-the-keyboard area. It's like a little needle tapping and then this little digital squeaky beep sound. It only happens when it's sitting there awake. When I put it to sleep or make it do something processy (like open Photoshop) it stops. Anybody got an idea what that's all about?

monkeydo_jb
Oct 2, 2003, 03:21 PM
My 15" TiBook squeeks as well. However, it only does it when I use
Safari and I'm accessing a site using SSL.

So far I haven't found a solution.

Sorry this reply was....erm...useless!

-jeff

oldschool
Oct 2, 2003, 03:29 PM
Mine too. When I'm using safari.

Zachary
Oct 2, 2003, 03:59 PM
Guys. That's scary. I think our machines are possessed by devils! I posted this at an Apple discussion too, I hope somebody knows what's going on... and furthermore I hope I'm wrong about the demons because I'm fresh out of holy water and forgot how to draw the rote of goetian binding.

big
Oct 2, 2003, 04:00 PM
so does mine, though only when using Safari... what the?

Flowbee
Oct 2, 2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by big
so does mine, though only when using Safari... what the?

Safari is powered by little hamsters running in tiny wheels. Doesn't anyone remember thet rumor?:confused: :D

monkeydo_jb
Oct 2, 2003, 04:46 PM
Big and oldschool-

Does your Safari only squeek when using SSL on a secure site?

-jeff

big
Oct 2, 2003, 04:48 PM
I think soo... its not now, nor has it been, since I went to SSL, what is that all about?

monkeydo_jb
Oct 2, 2003, 04:50 PM
Like, for instance, mine only squeeks when I'm doing my online banking
or ordering something online. I.E. only when things are being encrypted.

-jeff

Zachary
Oct 2, 2003, 06:08 PM
Crap, my hamsters are workaholics then because I'm squeaking even when running no apps at all! Only sleep or heavy processing silences it, and when I first got it it made no noise at all. It just started when I reloaded the OS.

iJon
Oct 2, 2003, 06:52 PM
its the first apple virus in a long time.

iJon

Kiwi-Todd
Oct 2, 2003, 07:47 PM
yeah my 17" PB has the squeeking 'deflating rodent' thing going on when I use Safari as well - come to think of it, it is only on certain sites.

I kinda like it - its a unique feature!

Zachary
Oct 2, 2003, 09:02 PM
Oh iJon don't say virus, you're gonna freak me out here.

cb911
Oct 2, 2003, 11:35 PM
my suggestion - work harder! Photoshop 24/7 = no squeak! :D :p

illumin8
Oct 3, 2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Kiwi-Todd
yeah my 17" PB has the squeeking 'deflating rodent' thing going on when I use Safari as well - come to think of it, it is only on certain sites.

I kinda like it - its a unique feature!
This is caused by the graphics card or CPU causing "interference" with the audio output through the speakers. If you move a window around on your screen or put a load on your CPU the squeeks should go away. From what I've heard, this problem was first noticed on the 17" AlBooks, but it looks like it's also present on the 15" AlBooks as well. From what I gather, it's usually too quiet for most people to notice, but for those that do notice it, it tends to drive them nuts.

Powerbook G5
Oct 3, 2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by illumin8
This is caused by the graphics card or CPU causing "interference" with the audio output through the speakers. If you move a window around on your screen or put a load on your CPU the squeeks should go away. From what I've heard, this problem was first noticed on the 17" AlBooks, but it looks like it's also present on the 15" AlBooks as well. From what I gather, it's usually too quiet for most people to notice, but for those that do notice it, it tends to drive them nuts.

The only noise I've ever heard was whenever I use a secure site in Safari and I get one or two "Zzt" noises that are so faint that you have to strain to hear them. I was told my Apple it is from the HD because when it switches to a secure setting, the SSL server somehow does something when it switches over to a secure mode.

Zachary
Oct 3, 2003, 01:50 PM
Thank you illumin8!

That makes very good sense to me. Could you suggest a way to make this thing stop?! Because yes it is driving me batty!

Brundlefly
Oct 4, 2003, 03:34 AM
My 17 Squeeks, maybe more of a sizzle, I bought it in April, and I havent turned it off yet, I asked apple and they said it was the graphics chip.....and not to worry....

it's become like white noise to me....I don't even hear it anymore

stoid
Oct 4, 2003, 04:05 AM
Try running all the disk checks and the like, then try reloading the OS again. Who knows maybe something will work.

oldschool
Oct 5, 2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by monkeydo_jb
Big and oldschool-

Does your Safari only squeek when using SSL on a secure site?

-jeff

Mine seems to do it the most when i'm at a secure site. Although, there is some squeaking at some sites at certain times, especially if its a site thats not cached.

Jeff, if you go into safari, open a page, then leave the computer alone, can you hear a very faint hard disk clicking or intermittent grinding noise? Its very faint...you almost have to put your ear up the the keyboard. Is this normal?

monkeydo_jb
Oct 5, 2003, 08:00 PM
Yeah, mine does it too. I assume this is normal, but I'm no authority on what is :D

-jeff

oldschool
Oct 5, 2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by monkeydo_jb
Yeah, mine does it too. I assume this is normal, but I'm no authority on what is :D

-jeff

Just wanted to make sure this happens. Because i didn't think it was normal, as the hard disk should be stopped spinning...but whatever...as long as you have the same thing.

illumin8
Oct 6, 2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Zachary
Thank you illumin8!

That makes very good sense to me. Could you suggest a way to make this thing stop?! Because yes it is driving me batty!
I don't think there's a way to make it stop except one person suggested running "top" in a terminal window, which puts a slight load on the CPU and seemed to work on the original 17" AlBooks.

The problem is basically a design flaw. When Apple designs a notebook they have to be careful not to put certain electronic components too close to each other (graphics chip and sound card). You may have heard the interference you can get if you have a cheap PC sound card too close to your graphics card inside the case. I think it's just something you're going to have to learn to live with. iTunes is always a good way to drown out any background noise.

Powerbook G5
Oct 6, 2003, 11:18 AM
Is this corrected with the new PowerBooks? I don't think I hear anything that isn't "supposed" to make noise. There is a really faint noise when I get really close to the case, which I believe is the HD, but it's so faint you have to zone into it, then there is that chirping noise once in a while whenever I log into .Mac or any other secure site in Safari that goes away after one or two chirps. I'm not sure if this is a "flaw" or normal, but it is really faint and only happens when I do secure web stuff, so I am not worried unless it ends up indicating a bigger issue.

oldschool
Oct 6, 2003, 10:12 PM
Do like VW drivers do to drown out the rattles, and turn up the music.

Electribe F
Oct 6, 2003, 10:34 PM
I've had the squeaking problem for quite a while as well, but Panther seems to fix it. The noise seems to have come out of the speakers, try logging into a secure site with the volume muted.

filmmaker2002
Oct 6, 2003, 10:36 PM
My VW doesn't rattle

Powerbook G5
Oct 6, 2003, 10:54 PM
I do that with my car...the power window stopped working and the guy who fixed it didn't line up the window correctly so it lets wind in when I am at highway speeds and it can get pretty noisy. Now if only I had a work around for the A/C that my mechanic broke and refused to fix for free when he fixed my starter and timing belt...

Powerbook G5
Oct 6, 2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Electribe F
I've had the squeaking problem for quite a while as well, but Panther seems to fix it. The noise seems to have come out of the speakers, try logging into a secure site with the volume muted.

It doesn't bother me since it is so faint you have to be in a silent room and really listen for it to chirp whenever logging into a secure site. I almost think of it as letting me know when I do log into a secure site.

KBFinFan
Oct 7, 2003, 10:07 AM
Just saw this thread.. so I'm a little outdated with my reply..

I just noticed the squeaking this morning using safari when I accessed my bank's website. Only over secure sites... weird..

I didn't notice it at school though? Is it the Airport connection or something (that's what I am using now at home).

oldschool
Oct 20, 2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by filmmaker2002
My VW doesn't rattle

Of course it does, its a VW

what do you have? Golf IV?

VWVORTEX.com

kwajo.com
Oct 20, 2003, 07:10 AM
mine makes this sound when certain apps are open, usually Safari, and stops whenever I move something on screen. If I scroll, or move windows, the sounds disappears. I have taken to scrolling down some pages continuously to avoid the sound, which is helping my speed reading skills, so I guess it has a good feature after all!:cool: but between that sound and the whirling in-and-outs of the fan churning up, I have an interesting little 17-inch powerbook orchestra! :D

Wyrm
Oct 21, 2003, 08:28 AM
Silly answer - but: Turn the volume down.

The sound system has an amplifier which is EMF radiation sensitive. If the source current is high (volume up) - and if the amp gate is opened by noise, the source current gets through and causes noise to occur on the speakers.

-Wyrm

Xero
Oct 21, 2003, 08:46 AM
my 15" Titianium 1Ghz powerbook does this too. mine was also when it was doing "secure" stuff, in safai and otherwise, or when something in the trash couldnt be emptied. man it would drive me insane too... it was the most annoying highpitched buzzy sizzly noise. but i havent had problems with this for a while now... maybe i got used to it. :eek:

Powerbook G5
Oct 21, 2003, 09:15 AM
Maybe that is why I hardly ever hear any weird sounds since I keep my volume low (my roommate is always sleeping).

Xero
Oct 21, 2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Maybe that is why I hardly ever hear any weird sounds since I keep my volume low (my roommate is always sleeping).

mine was the same pitch/loudness regardless of the volume of the speakers, and regardless of wether i had external speakers plugged in or not, so i dont think it comes directly from the speakers. either that or it is emitted from the speakers at the same level for each unique powerbook, regardless of the level you have them set at.

rjrufo
Oct 21, 2003, 10:24 PM
I have two iMacs that make the same type of noise, and have done so since I bought them. I called Apple to see if there was something wrong with them, and they said it was the graphics card. I've owned these for almost a year now, so I forgot the technical explanation he gave me, but it seems to be a normal condition.

It makes the noise whenever I scroll through a long document, move a window around, or have some heavy load on the graphics card. I've learned to ignore it, or like someone suggested, turn the volume up and play some music with iTunes.

I rarely shut down, and rarely restart, and they never sleep (well, the screens do). I've not had a single problem with these two, so I hope the noise isn't something that will cause damage over time.