PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 1.1.3 Features and Screenshots?

Pages : [1] 2

Chris Grande
Dec 28, 2007, 09:19 PM
Story: http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/q407-iphone-113-firmware-feature-gallery/
Direct to pictures: http://www.gearlive.com/gallery/category/C51

From the site:
The ability to send an SMS message to multiple people is now there
Google Maps application can now pinpoint your location using cell tower triangulation
Google Maps can now display the Hybrid map view
You can now drag and drop application icons on your home screen
The home screen supports pagination
You can now add web bookmarks to your home screen

My take:
Page Curl effect on the map page is a nice touch.
Triangulation, nice.
Home page options, very good.
Multiple people SMS good but still no MMS... on a 399 phone. :(
No info on notification frequency or length options.
No new apps.... :(
But still good for a X.X.1 update, hope this isn't the big MacWorld reveal...:rolleyes:

discuss....

psychofreak
Dec 28, 2007, 09:23 PM
If that's true, no new apps :(

Lixivial
Dec 28, 2007, 09:25 PM
"Until it starts to wiggle."

I fully expect this to be a feature of Mac OS X 10.6. "To move your icons, just click and hold until they begin to wiggle." That said, I don't believe any screenshots because of how easy it is to manipulate a jailbroken phone. But I think the manipulation of home screen is a given with third-party apps on the horizon.

I want an Apple-provided solution to a wallpaper on my home screen, so I'm not using something on par with ShapeShifter.

subwarm
Dec 28, 2007, 09:25 PM
Interesting feature set if true! It would say a lot about Apple's willingness to let iPhone users customize their phones to their liking (ie the customizable home screen). Plus, a rearrangeable home screen would certainly be a logical step towards the SDK release as well. Thanks for passing this along.

EricNau
Dec 28, 2007, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't be surprised either way. ...If these features are for real, I wonder if they'll be available for the iPod Touch as well.

ntrigue
Dec 28, 2007, 10:02 PM
I am at 1.1.1 and this...this will have me upgrade immediately. Bravo if this is shopped!

Mydel
Dec 28, 2007, 10:12 PM
Im stil on 1.0.2 and very happy user. My phone is unlock so they have to come with something really important to make me upgrade. That doesn't look like it!:cool:

MacRumors
Dec 28, 2007, 11:06 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

GearLive claims (http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/q407-iphone-113-firmware-feature-gallery/) to have played with the upcoming iPhone 1.1.3 firmware update and reveals a number of new features to be included to the latest version of the iPhone's software.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/12/29/113_300.jpg
Dragging the Mail icon

The new features are shown in a screenshot gallery (http://www.gearlive.com/gallery/category/C51/). Amongst the new features depicted:

- Edit Home Screen (http://www.gearlive.com/gallery/image_med/766/) - Rearrange icons on your home screen
- Drag icons (http://www.gearlive.com/gallery/image_med/768/) around with your finger
- Locate Me (http://www.gearlive.com/gallery/image_med/769/) integration (pseudo-GPS) with Google Maps
- Another screenshot of Locate Me (http://www.gearlive.com/gallery/image_med/771/)
- Send SMS to multiple people (http://www.gearlive.com/gallery/image_med/772/)
- Add Safari Bookmarks (http://www.gearlive.com/gallery/image_med/773/) to your Home Screen (example (http://www.gearlive.com/gallery/image_med/775/))

The features shown do not correlate with some earlier rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/06/iphone-1-1-3-coming-soon-voice-memos-disk-mode-support/) of the 1.1.3 firmware. GearLive has not previously been a source of accurate rumors or images on Apple products, previously spreading mockups (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/02/more-ipod-nano-and-touch-mockups/) of iPod nanos. These new screenshots, however, appear convincing on casual inspection.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/28/iphone-1-1-3-features-and-screenshots/)

LillieDesigns
Dec 28, 2007, 11:08 PM
Everything comes in bits and pieces. I love the iPhone, but something (aliens?) made me wait until version 2.0

p8ntballguy
Dec 28, 2007, 11:10 PM
WOW, If all that is in there, ill immediately, and happily upgrade, even if it means losing installer.app, i don't care. Those are some necessary features that should have been there a ling time ago.......

avigalante
Dec 28, 2007, 11:10 PM
Interesting - I just submitted this like 10 mins ago

irmongoose
Dec 28, 2007, 11:12 PM
So the iPhone dock is now a true dock. Is this something borrowed from the upcoming "tablet" iteration of OS X?

irmongoose

CBJammin103
Dec 28, 2007, 11:18 PM
The thing that baffles me about Apple's approach to iPhone updates is that many of these tweaks and changes are seemingly simple, conceptually speaking. Multiple text recipients shouldn't have taken this long. I'm not complaining, I just don't see why they're drawing it all out so much.

I suppose it could be simply an intentional tactic of Apple. This seems to be the most likely situation, as Apple, as a corporation and business, would have certain things to gain from small periodic updates instead of a couple large ones that addressed tons of issues.

Again, I've really enjoyed my iPhone, but adding media texting and multiple text recipients are among a handful of things that would improve user experience without some earth-shattering change or epic difficulty on the part of the programmers working on the iPhone updates. Corporate tactics aside, it seems that this should have been a quick, easy change within the first couple of months.

At any rate, let's be thankful that Apple keeps the updates rolling out and has paid attention to us iPhone owners. :)

Telp
Dec 28, 2007, 11:18 PM
Looks pretty sweet. Nothing like off the hook awesome, but some really cool stuff. Custom springboard and multiple home screen and being able to allow bookmarks on home screen! Im impressed. Any rumor as to a release date?

Martin C
Dec 28, 2007, 11:23 PM
When is Apple going to release an iChat application for goodness sakes?

albinoAZN
Dec 28, 2007, 11:26 PM
Will there be an update to the iPod Touch firmware as well?

iDudeMan
Dec 28, 2007, 11:28 PM
i heard that i'm gonna have to buy ichat from itunes when it comes out.

serious?

i'd kill myself...

ghall
Dec 28, 2007, 11:28 PM
Oh god, I hope this is true! Not a huge selection of features, but it's some basic functionality I would have expected from the beginning. :rolleyes:

MacGeek Pro
Dec 28, 2007, 11:30 PM

Given the history of updates, it is more than likely there will be some sort of update to the iPod touch.

ryano144
Dec 28, 2007, 11:32 PM

None of these features are iPhone specific, so it seems pretty likely.

FCA

I'm pretty sure there will...they get updated in a parallel way

GeekLawyer
This is beginning to look great! I've never jailbroken or futzed around with my iPhone, so my own arrangement of icons will be new for me!

These features, along with native third-party apps in a couple months, will keep me very pleased with my 6-month old iPhone (as of later today!). But I'll be looking to upgrade to new/updated hardware in about 6 more months.

kwikdeth
Dec 28, 2007, 11:36 PM
looks fake to me. the depth of focus in some shots drops off way too quickly. especially the "add bookmark to home screen" pic. the top of the screen is slightly fuzzy and the add bookmark buttons are crystal clear. also look at the "edit home screen" shot... the dialog box is not centered over the icons.

MarkMS
Dec 28, 2007, 11:37 PM
This is great, especially with the sending SMS to multiple people. I just want video recording. Pretty please, Apple. Pretty please with a cherry on top!

GeekLawyer
Dec 28, 2007, 11:39 PM
looks fake to me. the depth of focus in some shots drops off way too quickly. especially the "add bookmark to home screen" pic. the top of the screen is slightly fuzzy and the add bookmark buttons are crystal clear. also look at the "edit home screen" shot... the dialog box is not centered over the icons.

I'm far from an expert, but they look pretty convincing to me. Mostly because the ground has been softened up by earlier rumors.

akac
Dec 28, 2007, 11:40 PM
The thing that baffles me about Apple's approach to iPhone updates is that many of these tweaks and changes are seemingly simple, conceptually speaking. Multiple text recipients shouldn't have taken this long. I'm not complaining, I just don't see why they're drawing it all out so much.

My thinking is its because those engineers were working on Leopard for the last few months.

InkMaster
Dec 28, 2007, 11:42 PM
arrrh! forget all these insignificant little updates; when will we finally see something BIG

mickhyperion
Dec 28, 2007, 11:43 PM
Seems like the iPhone delayed Leopard, then Leopard delayed updates to the iPhone. Hopefully they can both move forward now.

psychofreak
Dec 28, 2007, 11:43 PM
arrrh! forget all these insignificant little updates; when will we finally see something BIG
The SDK is scheduled for February, and its likely that will change things significantly :)

Full of Win
Dec 28, 2007, 11:45 PM
We will know if this is fake, if/when Apple sends out the goon squad.

GeekLawyer
Dec 28, 2007, 11:47 PM
We will know if this is fake, if/when Apple sends out the goon squad.

Or we could be seeing an update for New Years Day. Which is Tuesday. ;)

(I know, I know... these things don't update on Tuesday...)

himansk
Dec 28, 2007, 11:51 PM
i feel its fake, but i hope its not

TheSpaz
Dec 29, 2007, 12:03 AM
I hope this is real but, that means we gotta go through the whole jailbreaking thing again. Downgrade to 1.1.1, upgrade to 1.1.2, upgrade to 1.1.3, jailbreak... what a mess.

deannnnn
Dec 29, 2007, 12:14 AM
"Until it starts to wiggle."

I fully expect this to be a feature of Mac OS X 10.6. "To move your icons, just click and hold until they begin to wiggle." That said, I don't believe any screenshots because of how easy it is to manipulate a jailbroken phone. But I think the manipulation of home screen is a given with third-party apps on the horizon.

I want an Apple-provided solution to a wallpaper on my home screen, so I'm not using something on par with ShapeShifter.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

The grammer is just not Apple's..... like on the one picture where one of the buttons is "Mail Link to this Page"..... Apple would put something like "Share This Page" or just "Share" like it has now.

Sai Zelion
Dec 29, 2007, 12:18 AM
Im stil on 1.0.2 and very happy user. My phone is unlock so they have to come with something really important to make me upgrade. That doesn't look like it!:cool:

I agree with you bro. I'm an unlocked 1.1.1 user with tons of apps and these features already. I would make a brass statement and say "Apple needs to bring more to the table", but they have brought more to the table... indirectly, by releasing the SDK to developers.

It's 2008 (only a few days away), and if the 2nd Gen iPhone is dropping Mid '08, one must wonder what goodies will they provide DIRECTLY SHIPPED. Even thought they released the SDK, I believe Apple is spoon feeding the 1st Gen iPhone and will provide the 2nd Gen iPhone with at least twice as many features, and since the developers will have already been making and presenting apps for a whole 6 months, don't be surprised if Apple makes their own rendition of a few of these apps and features as well. They are already doing it with the "rearrange icons" feature.

I'm not saying the "rearrange Icons" feature is ground breaking enough to call Apple a KopyKat (or Microsoftter! lol!) but, they are behind on offering that feature along with others. It's going to be pretty interesting to see what comes of this soon but this update is useless to the unlocked few.

termite
Dec 29, 2007, 12:23 AM
Cease and desist in 3.... 2.... 1...

Sai Zelion
Dec 29, 2007, 12:27 AM

I suppose it could be simply an intentional tactic of Apple. This seems to be the most likely situation, as Apple, as a corporation and business, would have certain things to gain from small periodic updates instead of a couple large ones that addressed tons of issues.

Again, I've really enjoyed my iPhone, but adding media texting and multiple text recipients are among a handful of things that would improve user experience without some earth-shattering change or epic difficulty on the part of the programmers working on the iPhone updates. Corporate tactics aside, it seems that this should have been a quick, easy change within the first couple of months.

At any rate, let's be thankful that Apple keeps the updates rolling out and has paid attention to us iPhone owners. :)

I think you're right. Apple has been (and still is) a great company. But that does not make them exempt to some criticism. The updates you mention should have been taken care of within a month or two of release and speaking in reference to that, we're looking at a phone that was $4-$600 and missing simple features like sending texts to multiple recipients and sending photos via text. No company is perfect but Apple is damn close. So it's not so bad to say they dropped the ball with the lack of offering a few key features and apps for that matter and it does seem they are dragging this out RIDICULOUSLY. I started using iSMS yesterday, and was just happy as I can be, but at the same time, I was shaking my head in wonderment trying to understand why the hell or how the hell could Apple have not had this or that simple feature included in my iPhone???!!!

Football1maniac
Dec 29, 2007, 12:29 AM
I find it amusing how we have 2 types of people here

1. People who are like :eek: that looks amazing! I want to update immediately!

2. Then we have the people have already Jailbroken there iPhone/iPod touch...

Pshh, :rolleyes: I could have done this months ago...

I expect more from Apple, but hey, waiting for iPhone 2.0 that will be less then $400.:apple:

mcarnes
Dec 29, 2007, 12:29 AM

Could I have some of your weed?

Telp
Dec 29, 2007, 12:31 AM
If that's true, no new apps :(

Which you wouldnt necessarily expect with a 1.1.x update....still...dissapointing.

twoodcc
Dec 29, 2007, 12:37 AM
dang, where's my video capture?

Telp
Dec 29, 2007, 12:40 AM

The same placce mine is, in our thoughts, dreams, and wishes. Someday...

chr1s60
Dec 29, 2007, 01:01 AM
I would be very happy if this update happened. I have wanted to rearrange the icons since I first got my phone. If they enable sending SMS to multiple people, they better also allow MMS.

timothyjay2004
Dec 29, 2007, 01:04 AM
Part of me believes that this is true, but another part of me believes that the pictures are fakes. Here's why. Go to http://www.apple.com/iphone
Look at the placement of where the iTunes Store icon is on the iPhone (it is to the right of the screen). Now, look at all of the pictures, the iTunes Store icon is to the left of the screen. The real iPhone wouldn't have that icon there. Even if you could move the icons around, it should still make it fill from right to left. iPod is left to right. So, that brings doubt to my mind.

tyler9xp
Dec 29, 2007, 01:05 AM
Has anybody noticed on the Safari screenshot how the current "Add Bookmark" button on the left side of the Address Bar is now a little Spotlight search icon? I think I remember seeing a rumor somewhere about the iPhone getting some search features....

Plus, the "You can do more when your phone runs Windows" ad at the top of the site is a Flash ad, and we all know how well 1.1.2 supports Flash.

These would be some major feature additions... isn't it at least a little bit strange how GearLive didn't mention anything about either?

robotspacer
Dec 29, 2007, 01:07 AM
The grammer is just not Apple's..... like on the one picture where one of the buttons is "Mail Link to this Page"..... Apple would put something like "Share This Page" or just "Share" like it has now.
Funny, considering "Mail Link to This Page" is the exact wording Apple uses for the same option in Safari ;)

I was extremely skeptical at first, but now that I'm looking through all the screenshots, they're awfully believable. I'm seeing a lot of smart details that I'd expect from Apple... not the sort of stuff you usually see in fakes. Still, the thing that's the most fishy to me is that they'd all all these features and call it 1.1.3 rather than 1.2.

samh004
Dec 29, 2007, 01:08 AM
The screenshots look good. Seeing as I'm using a jailbroken touch I guess I'll have to wait for a prep app to 1.1.2 first, and then update, but I have no worries waiting a little.

I'd imagine most of these features will be in the touch update, minus the apps that obviously aren't on the touch.

The "wiggle" thing does seem a little odd in retrospect, but if it's not real, at least it's given Apple a few ideas for some real features that would be useful.

BWhaler
Dec 29, 2007, 01:23 AM

Agreed. iChat would be great.

I think these could be real, but what the heck do I know.

Either way, I am excited for some new features. And stability. Definitely more stabilty.

Pre-Macworld is such a fun time of year....loving it already...

robotspacer
Dec 29, 2007, 01:36 AM
Has anybody noticed on the Safari screenshot how the current "Add Bookmark" button on the left side of the Address Bar is now a little Spotlight search icon? I think I remember seeing a rumor somewhere about the iPhone getting some search features....
Makes much more sense that it's just a button to access the Google/Yahoo search. Not a new feature, just a UI adjustment to make things more clear, and provide quicker access to the most used features.

It also seems reasonable that if these are true, they had limited time to explore and take photos, and may not have been able to check out all the details.

Plus, the "You can do more when your phone runs Windows" ad at the top of the site is a Flash ad, and we all know how well 1.1.2 supports Flash.
Good eye, but chances are the ad will display as a static graphic (JPEG or GIF) when Flash is not installed, like many Flash ads do. The site is loading way too slow for me to spend the time confirming it, but many other ads on the site do this.

I remain skeptical, but I don't think either of these really mean anything.

Either way, I am excited for some new features. And stability. Definitely more stabilty.
Yeah, no question.

arkmannj
Dec 29, 2007, 01:40 AM

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Allanf
Dec 29, 2007, 01:40 AM
WOW, If all that is in there, ill immediately, and happily upgrade, even if it means losing installer.app, i don't care. Those are some necessary features that should have been there a ling time ago....... I am quite sure we will be getting an "authorized" installer by February since the SDK kit announced a few months ago will be released by then and will allow installation of native applications.

zelet
Dec 29, 2007, 01:47 AM
I'm getting an iPhone when:
Apple provides OTA sync with .Mac (contacts, calendars, & notes)
Apple provides a way to edit Word and Excel documents (needed for work - use it every single day)

Right now I'm on a family of an employee plan with Sprint - $15 a month with everything but I'm willing to pay out the nose for an iPhone even on a sub-par network like AT&T because WM and Palm "Smart" phones suck so horribly bad. I can't believe that in 2008 you need a god-damned stylus to get to most functions on a smart phone.

Allanf
Dec 29, 2007, 01:49 AM
Seems like the iPhone delayed Leopard, then Leopard delayed updates to the iPhone. Hopefully they can both move forward now. And maybe working on a new new sub laptop - or is this wishful thinking.

DiamondMac
Dec 29, 2007, 01:55 AM
Adding multiple text message recievers is a huge deal for me so good job, Apple.

Still, quite a lot of basic things need to be added, imo

Agreed. iChat would be great.

I think these could be real, but what the heck do I know.

Pre-Macworld is such a fun time of year....loving it already...

Must say I am rather blown away that something like that wasn't added in the first edition software. I thought that was going to be one of the first things brought to this software

ncsmith4
Dec 29, 2007, 01:57 AM
Is the site being bombarded by too many hits?

Its SOOOOOOO sloooooooowwwwwww...

synth3tik
Dec 29, 2007, 02:02 AM
Not all that exciting, but at least it is something.

ventro
Dec 29, 2007, 02:04 AM
The design of it seems so well done, that is has to be real. Especially that map fold. But the map fold looks almost TOO good.

http://members.shaw.ca/storage_1/gearlivemapsmirror.jpg

Think of what is going on there: The fold itself is casting a shadow on the screen, and the white buttons are reflecting onto the base of the "metallic" paper of the map. Either that is a pre-rendered animation, or the iPhone has some serious graphical horsepower.

pjtro2
Dec 29, 2007, 02:23 AM
Apple provides a way to edit Word and Excel documents (needed for work - use it every single day)
one.

Are you serious?? Editing MS Word or excel docs on an iphone would be a truly horrendous experience - no matter how much fairy dust Apple sprinkled over it. (and Word/excel are MS products so there's no way apple would suddenly enable the editing of them)

Write an email to yourself on the iphone if you must and cut and paste it into your word doc once you're back on your computer.

albinoAZN
Dec 29, 2007, 02:27 AM
Think of what is going on there: The fold itself is casting a shadow on the screen, and the white buttons are reflecting onto the base of the "metallic" paper of the map. Either that is a pre-rendered animation, or the iPhone has some serious graphical horsepower.

What reflection do you see that I don't? I see the shadow that it's casting, but no reflections of the white buttons.

Lixivial
Dec 29, 2007, 02:29 AM
The design of it seems so well done, that is has to be real. Especially that map fold. But the map fold looks almost TOO good.

Who says it has to be Photoshopped?

The homebrew SDK is growing daily, and the Notes app implements a similar feature already. It's more than possible that it could be a demo application running on the iPhone.

tyler9xp
Dec 29, 2007, 02:29 AM
Makes much more sense that it's just a button to access the Google/Yahoo search. Not a new feature, just a UI adjustment to make things more clear, and provide quicker access to the most used features.

That seems reasonable, but unless they added a fifth button on the bar at the bottom, that Spotlight button would be the only way to open the "Add Bookmark/Add to Home Screen/Mail Link to this Page" popup. I really doubt it's just a shortcut to the Web search field.

Good eye, but chances are the ad will display as a static graphic (JPEG or GIF) when Flash is not installed, like many Flash ads do.

You're right and I was wrong. I just spent 10 minutes loading GearLive on my iPhone to check this, and it loads a static image.

The more I think about it, the more likely it seems that these are real. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but there's definitely enough evidence to convince me either way.

zelet
Dec 29, 2007, 02:40 AM
Are you serious?? Editing MS Word or excel docs on an iphone would be a truly horrendous experience - no matter how much fairy dust Apple sprinkled over it. (and Word/excel are MS products so there's no way apple would suddenly enable the editing of them)

Write an email to yourself on the iphone if you must and cut and paste it into your word doc once you're back on your computer.

I use an Excel spreadsheet on my HTC Mogul (6800) every single work day. I have to keep track of my vehicle's mileage in a simple spreadsheet. It works incredibly well. With the iPhone's larger screen, more memory, and faster processor it should be better on the iPhone.

Apple already provides editing support for word and excel documents with Pages and Numbers. Hell I'd be happy with a mobile version of Numbers that I can save as an Excel document at the end of the month to turn in my log.

Without OTA sync and some spreadsheet editing ability the iPhone is useless to me.

Clive At Five
Dec 29, 2007, 02:43 AM
When?! My wife needs a 1.1.2 OTB unlock, and 1.1.3 holds the key!

-Clive

benspratling
Dec 29, 2007, 03:00 AM

It's a phone. I press the green button and then I chat.
And did you notice it has SMS text messaging?
And e-mail?

I'd like to see a sound/video recorder.
I already got my first wish: GarageBand exports ringtones! Merry Christmas. Thank you, Santa Jobs!

illitrate23
Dec 29, 2007, 03:00 AM
i don't understand why they would say that you can drag the app icons to the side to create a new home screen - unless they are going to be releasing a whole bunch more apps
until the SDK is released and apps are released using it, there's no need for an unlocked iPhone to have more than one page on the home screen

so i guess that means this 1.1.3 isn't going to appear until Febuary or whenever the SDK is released?

ventro
Dec 29, 2007, 03:09 AM
What reflection do you see that I don't? I see the shadow that it's casting, but no reflections of the white buttons.
It is a diffused reflection.

cmoney
Dec 29, 2007, 03:11 AM
i don't understand why they would say that you can drag the app icons to the side to create a new home screen - unless they are going to be releasing a whole bunch more apps
until the SDK is released and apps are released using it, there's no need for an unlocked iPhone to have more than one page on the home screen

so i guess that means this 1.1.3 isn't going to appear until Febuary or whenever the SDK is released?

well with the ability to add web pages to the home screen, that makes complete sense. with only three free icon spaces that would be the next thing people complain about.

I'd like to see a sound/video recorder.

It's a phone.

Haha snark snark.:)

MacFly123
Dec 29, 2007, 03:14 AM
I am with the people that say Apple should have had a lot of these things from the very beginning, and that's coming from a huge fanboy! There better also be text forwarding and single text delete instead of entire sessions only not to mention MMS, Search, Video/Audio Recording, Universal Landscape Keyboard, iChat, etc. COME ON APPLE!!! Don't hold out on things EVERY phone in the world has except yours just to sell iPhone 2.0 :mad:

mashinhead
Dec 29, 2007, 03:29 AM
no note syncing... wtf is wrong with these ppl. this feature shouldn't take a year to implement.

k2director
Dec 29, 2007, 03:33 AM
Where's a To Do application, for crying out loud?!

Project
Dec 29, 2007, 04:10 AM
Took the words right out of my mouth.

lol. In safari the wording is "Mail Link to This Page"

chrisblore
Dec 29, 2007, 04:26 AM

I'm with you on this one. To omit a crucial function like that is frankly ridiculous, particularly as the new functionality has been added into Mail in Leopard and it is in iCal.

yagran
Dec 29, 2007, 05:12 AM
GRRR the website wont load. anyone got a mirror?

IDANNY
Dec 29, 2007, 05:20 AM
miror please ; )

macses
Dec 29, 2007, 05:37 AM
in dutch, but the photos are there too

http://www.iphoneclub.nl/3355/iphone-firmware-113-brengt-meerdere-grote-verbeteringen/

daneoni
Dec 29, 2007, 06:05 AM

This animation isn't new. The same thing happens when going through note in the notes app

John Appleseed
Dec 29, 2007, 06:19 AM
Mirror of the photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13682329@N08/

clicked
Dec 29, 2007, 06:42 AM
It's nice to see that Apple is moving in the right direction. It's true these features should have been added since the beginning but at least they are now noticing what ppl want. Hopefully they look at the jailbreak community and add some more features soon.
Also when are we gonna see the SDK Apple?!?!

imwoblin
Dec 29, 2007, 06:47 AM
C'mon Apple!.... what is it going to take to give us poor iPhone users basic service such as MMS? The girlfriend sent me some pics she snapped from her phone at a party and I couldn't access them on my iPhone unless I went to ATT's website and typed in a id number and password for each picture. My co worker says to me " Hey why don't you have you're girlfriend send the pics to me as I can send and receive MMS messages on my 5 year old Razor!" So I did. And guess what, his 5 year old Razor is on the ATT network and includes a MMS/SMS plan included in the service. This is absolutely unacceptable for Apple / ATT to throw us under the bus on such basic services. Simply retarded.:mad:

fearofsociety
Dec 29, 2007, 06:47 AM
I dunno man. The coloring, the blurs, the shadows, things being at slightly wrong angles. They could be real, but I'm suspicious. Something just seems wrong about the photos. If you can move things around, why not show us a picture of things in different positions instead of everything in the usual position, but a finger supposedly moving something around. And what's with all the convenient blurs? I dunno. I hope it's real.

But, what I REALLY want is an eBook Reader program. Get with it Apple! Sell the books over iTunes, kill the damn Kindle, and profit.

wizard
Dec 29, 2007, 06:54 AM

It may look that way on the surface but underneath there have been some pretty huge updates. In fact it looks like the entire distro has already been replaced a couple of times. So Apple is working on a lot more than just the icing.

Err the updates, as pointed out above, have been huge; effectively replacing all the software at least a couple of times. Many a bug has been fixed and other issues addressed. Plus it looks like they have put a lot of effort into securing the OS. I suspect the goal is to be having user apps running in a sand box.

Again, I've really enjoyed my iPhone, but adding media texting and multiple text recipients are among a handful of things that would improve user experience without some earth-shattering change or epic difficulty on the part of the programmers working on the iPhone updates.

Well you really can't say that unless you know what the programming effort involved is. Plus Apple may have good reason not to implement the media texting support. For me and a lot of other people it simply isn't a big issue. At least not compared to a lot of other things that need to get done.

Corporate tactics aside, it seems that this should have been a quick, easy change within the first couple of months.

Again there has been considerable updating done to the iPhone software, to fix bugs and security issues. It appears that there have been several complete rebuilds of the platform. The problem is that there is stuff under the hood being fixed that may not be apparent to the average user. Well that and preparation for more advanced features.

Yep that is for sure.

dave

redgaz26
Dec 29, 2007, 07:00 AM
looks really good does anyone think this will be out before macworld?

mccldwll
Dec 29, 2007, 07:00 AM

Probably already brought up by now, but remember iPhone uses subscription accounting (allegedly for this very purpose) while Touch doesn't.

rfrankl
Dec 29, 2007, 07:09 AM
Apple could make these clips and someone would still say they are fake. Everybody thought the iPod Fatty Nano pics were fake, and swore by it, yet they were real. These look convincing, and the features they show are pretty much the next logical steps.

tarhunni
Dec 29, 2007, 07:19 AM
has anybody noticed the 'show traffic' in the gmaps looks promising. also when will we get copy and pasting yet arghh.

wizard
Dec 29, 2007, 07:26 AM
The photos look real to me!

Before I comment on that though, I have to say something about the people who purchased the phone and are still complaining about the lack of MMS. Please get a grip, if you where so stupid as to go out and buy hardware that you knew didn't do what you wanted then you really need to shut up.

As to the software updates rumored to be coming in 1.1.3 and these pics, it all looks good to me. I do wonder how much was missed by the Gears folks though. I'd check the site but haven't been able to get a byte out of it.

Things I want to know about are how are the internals. Things like Bluetooth and disk mode, are they there yet? See some of us won't buy until we have a product that does what we want.

I'm also hoping that more of the iPhones feature set gets moved to the Touch. As much as possible I want to see one software platform.

It still looks like Apple is coming up short with respect to some needs. For example access to the iPhones flash store from Safari. Beign able to access locally stored files is very important.

What appears to be most important about this alleged update is that they are apparently paving the way for user apps and the SDK release.

Dave

wizard
Dec 29, 2007, 07:31 AM
has anybody noticed the 'show traffic' in the gmaps looks promising. also when will we get copy and pasting yet arghh.

I also noticed a button labeled Satellite.

Frankly it looks like a rather major update to the iPhone. I'm hoping there is enough there to put me over the edge to purchase.

Dave

TheNightPhoenix
Dec 29, 2007, 07:47 AM
I also noticed a button labeled Satellite.

Frankly it looks like a rather major update to the iPhone. I'm hoping there is enough there to put me over the edge to purchase.

Dave

Satellite has always been there.

diamond.g
Dec 29, 2007, 07:52 AM

Show traffic is already there. See the little car button next to list button.

Stella
Dec 29, 2007, 08:05 AM
Probably already brought up by now, but remember iPhone uses subscription accounting (allegedly for this very purpose) while Touch doesn't.

Reworded: You keep on paying Apple to bring a beta product up to a release product.

Other phone manufacturers keep on maintaining their phone software and producing firmware releases. All that is in the price of the phone.

Apple saying "your subscription pays for software development" is a crock of *****. iPhone uses should not at the moment be paying anything for iPhone software development ( for the reason above ).

Dagless
Dec 29, 2007, 08:08 AM
Very nice. Coupled with the SDK or whatever it is going live in a few weeks I'm really having a hard time waiting for a 3G iPhone :)

Otaviano
Dec 29, 2007, 08:08 AM
If this is legit, I hope it makes it's way into the hands of the iPhone DevTeam sooner than later.

tarhunni
Dec 29, 2007, 08:12 AM
i was just wondering has anybody heard of gearlive before in realtion to important insider new like this?

Digitalclips
Dec 29, 2007, 08:13 AM
If this is legit, I hope it makes it's way into the hands of the iPhone DevTeam sooner than later.

Is it just me or are all the links to see this stuff down? Even GearLive's home page.

tarhunni
Dec 29, 2007, 08:16 AM
The photos look real to me!

Before I comment on that though, I have to say something about the people who purchased the phone and are still complaining about the lack of MMS. Please get a grip, if you where so stupid as to go out and buy hardware that you knew didn't do what you wanted then you really need to shut up.

Dave

can i just say, that if some people are like me then they like the phone enough to buy it, but want to make it better and would benefit from mms support.

Lepton
Dec 29, 2007, 08:23 AM
These features seem believable. But synchronized notes and to do items are way, WAY overdue!

philgilder
Dec 29, 2007, 08:32 AM
These features seem believable. But synchronized notes and to do items are way, WAY overdue!
seconded. i need to dos, badly. and i need them synced up on my mac as well
the current hacked apps arent suitable for my needs (although they are very good considering this is a closed device)

londondude
Dec 29, 2007, 08:34 AM
the question is when will be be available?

ebaker
Dec 29, 2007, 08:36 AM
Please! Jeez, a most basic feature still left out? I'd trade in just about all of these (with the possible exception of GPS) just for the ability to delete multiple emails.

Hello? McFly?

Popeye206
Dec 29, 2007, 08:46 AM
These features all looks great! I can't wait!

As for iChat... I think chatting is coming with 3rd party apps. Once the framework is in place, I can't imagine it's going to take too long before someone (probably Apple, and Yahoo) have chat clients for us.

Again... this is going to be a good MacWorld!

P.S. Someone commented about why does it take (Apple) so long for such simple features.... I would imagine that Apple has been playing it safe with their development and taking it slow on purpose to ensure that we have a good stable phone along the way. Plus, if you've ever been in development, just because the concept is simple does not mean the development is. :-)

csimmons
Dec 29, 2007, 08:47 AM

In every seemingly insignificant update lies a reason for someone to get the iPhone. The only reason I haven't gotten one yet was the lack of SMS to multiple recipients. That reason is now gone, so I'll be getting an iPhone shortly, or at least when the update is out.

BTW don't forget that with other cellphone makers, in order to get updates, bug fixes or new features you usually have to get a new phone. :rolleyes:

indiekiduk
Dec 29, 2007, 08:49 AM
In every seemingly insignificant update lies a reason for someone to get the iPhone. The only reason I haven't gotten one yet was the lack of SMS to multiple recipients. That reason is now gone, so I'll be getting an iPhone shortly, or at least when the update is out.

BTW don't forget that with other cellphone makers, in order to get updates, bug fixes or new features you usually have to get a new phone. :rolleyes:

get one. who cares about multiple sms.

Btw these photos are FAKE

Jarbo
Dec 29, 2007, 08:50 AM
These are totally fake.

Lepton
Dec 29, 2007, 08:50 AM
Why do I keep jailbreaking my phone? For VNsea! As I've said many times, Apple Remote Desktop is the killer app for the iPhone! At least with an SDK coming, we will see a legit VNC even if Apple doesn't step up.

Phelps
Dec 29, 2007, 08:54 AM
As others have said, the pictures look real to me. But let's avoid speculating too much, these features seem very viable for a future update to the iPhone software.

Oh and "Hi" everyone, i've been a reader for a while now, and thought i'd register!

:)

walnuts
Dec 29, 2007, 08:58 AM
I wonder; it seems way too much for a 1.1x upgrade- you don't suppose that this was an apple-internal only midway build, and the actual final update would be even more? Who knows- wishful thinking here. It does make some sense though- this adds far more than the 1.1 update did for the end user. It would certainly be worth one of those "look at how good this is" videos on the apple website, but a little underwhelming for macworld.

in dutch, but the photos are there too

http://www.iphoneclub.nl/3355/iphone-firmware-113-brengt-meerdere-grote-verbeteringen/

Thanks for the site- the gear live one wouldn't load for me. Now, when do you suppose they'll out the dutch language on the iphone?!?

walnuts
Dec 29, 2007, 08:58 AM
As others have said, the pictures look real to me. But let's avoid speculating too much, these features seem very viable for a future update to the iPhone software.

Oh and "Hi" everyone, i've been a reader for a while now, and thought i'd register!

:)

Welcome to macrumors!

Island Dog
Dec 29, 2007, 09:00 AM
Still waiting for the ability to delete multiple e-mails.....

Phelps
Dec 29, 2007, 09:01 AM
Welcome to macrumors!

Cheers my man.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

swampbits
Dec 29, 2007, 09:06 AM

Amen to that! More specifically, we need one that syncs with Mail in Leopard. OMG, this will be so teh revolutionary!

dan-o-mac
Is it just me or are all the links to see this stuff down? Even GearLive's home page.

The digg effect. It's on diggs top ten.

http://www.ndesign-studio.com/blog/updates/the-digg-effect/

Sai Zelion
C'mon Apple!.... what is it going to take to give us poor iPhone users basic service such as MMS? The girlfriend sent me some pics she snapped from her phone at a party and I couldn't access them on my iPhone unless I went to ATT's website and typed in a id number and password for each picture. My co worker says to me " Hey why don't you have you're girlfriend send the pics to me as I can send and receive MMS messages on my 5 year old Razor!" So I did. And guess what, his 5 year old Razor is on the ATT network and includes a MMS/SMS plan included in the service. This is absolutely unacceptable for Apple / ATT to throw us under the bus on such basic services. Simply retarded.:mad:

Damn dude. I feel your frustration! That's sad and so damn true.

Digital Skunk
Dec 29, 2007, 09:27 AM
Everything comes in bits and pieces. I love the iPhone, but something (aliens?) made me wait until version 2.0

For me it was the lack of a good service provider. I just renewed my Sprint contract and I get unlimited EVDO for only $15, along with my current plan I pay $65 a month and that includes insurance which AT&T doesn't offer with the iPhone or much of their smartphones.

I would love to get the iPhone as my carry all media, web browsing device but Steve's fatal mistake of signing on with a mediocre cell company with missing plan features is making it hard for me and a few others to justify the iPhone.

Then the phone itself is still missing standard features that are on every phone in it's prices range.

kcmac
Dec 29, 2007, 09:28 AM
Reworded: You keep on paying Apple to bring a beta product up to a release product.

Other phone manufacturers keep on maintaining their phone software and producing firmware releases. All that is in the price of the phone.

Apple saying "your subscription pays for software development" is a crock of *****. iPhone uses should not at the moment be paying anything for iPhone software development ( for the reason above ).
On my Razor with Verizon the only firmware updates I recall is that they have further disabled the features on my phone!

mrowl
Dec 29, 2007, 09:30 AM
I ***** hate digg. There motto should be: "bringing sites crashing down every day"

If this was real, they could have easily done video.

fake.

mjstew33
Dec 29, 2007, 09:31 AM
On my Razor with Verizon the only firmware updates I recall is that they have further disabled the features on my phone!

Haha, true that, true that. Gotta love Veizon. :rolleyes: I'd rather be on AT&T anyday. Too bad they don't have good rural coverage... :(

Sai Zelion
Dec 29, 2007, 09:35 AM
Reading all of these responses makes me look at things very closely regarding Apple. Here are some things that are very evident:

[1] the updates presented in 1.1.3 are simple updates that should NOT have taken this long.

[2] The 3G version of the iPhone is coming out in 2008

[3] Tons of Basic features like MMS, Note syncing and BASIC Apps like a To Do List and iChat are missing.

[4] Companies always think of life span growth of their product which means when they are in the meeting rooms drafting a new product, they always consider how far and how many features they can possibly bring to the table over a span of 10 years. Once they determine this, they plot a "SPOON FEEDING" course of (a) releasing small amounts of feature updates during the shelf life of the CURRENT VERSIONS of their product on the market and (b) and more significant updates with the release of NEW GENERATIONS of their product.

With all of that being said, Apple has definitely plotted a course for it's product. They have in mind tons of features and abilities they plan to unveil over time but here's how they plan to do it; Through Current Version Updates, and through Next Generation Upgrading.

Let's start with iPhone Gen 1. iPhone Gen 1 will have x amount of features and during it's shelf life, they will seed us with MINOR UPDATES to it's functionality. This is called current version updating where you seed small functionality updates only and nothing drastically different.

For iPhone Gen 2, Apple will introduce a FEW NEW FEATURES along with a FEW NEW APPS. This is called Generation upgrading. During this phase , the consumer will see a significant increase in functionality, features and applications and possibly a double release of a Casual iPhone (much like what we have now) and a Power User Version (with all of the functionality necessary to place it in the category of PDA because of the features presented).

This is approach is mandatory to ensure the consumer will have a JUSTIFIABLE REASON to purchase the next generation iPhone besides it's just being 3G. For this reason, they will not flood this version of the iPhone with tons of features, rather MORSELS.

They have accomplished their main goal that's to WET OUR APPETITES on the possibilities based on what Apple is capable of doing with the iPhone. They hype engine has been perfectly executed and they have the necessary excitement generated over this product so why would they waist that "HYPE" on introducing tons of new features for a Gen 1 release of the iPhone, when they can duplicate (if not triple) what they sold at launch of the Gen 1 iPhone? This hype, as always, will carry them into HUGE sales for the iPhone Gen 2 when they release it with all or damn near all of the features we've begged for including 3G abilities. That's just good 'ol product campaigning.

So everyone just sit back, don't expect much, and wait for iPhone Gen 2 to be released with a huge Keynote address to the media, and Jobs saying "remember how with the 1st Gen iPhone you could yada yada yada...? Well, now you can (sliding his had across the iPhone 2's surface) YADA YADA YADA as well (ROARS OF APPLAUSES FROM THE CROWD).... yes the iphone 2 will be able to YADA YADA YADA.... all while YADA YADA YADA'ING with your Mac Pro or Mac Book pro!"

it's sales and marketing folks, and you can't sale a product that has maxed out it's ability- that's why you spoon feed your consumers morsels of feature updates at a time so that you can ensure you can sale future generations/versions of your product. In the mean time I highly recommend anyone who's longing for big updates to Jailbreak your iPhone, get the features you are begging for and avoid any frustrations, or JUST WAIT FOR THE iPhone 2nd generation.

Digital Skunk
Dec 29, 2007, 09:44 AM
So everyone just sit back, don't expect much, and wait for iPhone Gen 2 to be released with a huge Keynote address to the media, and Jobs saying "remember how with the 1st Gen iPhone you could yada yada yada...? Well, now you can (sliding his had across the iPhone 2's surface) YADA YADA YADA as well (ROARS OF APPLAUSES FROM THE CROWD).... yes the iphone 2 will be able to YADA YADA YADA.... all while YADA YADA YADA'ING with your Mac Pro or Mac Book pro!"

And those Apple fans not into the hype of the iPhone and AT&T will sit back and do whatever jobs is doing on stage with their Treos, Blackberries, HTCs, Samsungs, LGs, and various other smart devices that have been on the market for years. Too bad those phones don't have the sleek UI of the iPhone..... Oh well, we don't have the gloss but we do have the features.

cheunghy
Dec 29, 2007, 09:46 AM
How about a 'Rotate' gesture for photos in addition to the zooming feature now present on the iPhones?

For example, a fixed finger as the center of rotation, and another sliding along the circumference?

macfan881
Dec 29, 2007, 09:49 AM
I hope this is real but, that means we gotta go through the whole jailbreaking thing again. Downgrade to 1.1.1, upgrade to 1.1.2, upgrade to 1.1.3, jailbreak... what a mess.

its really not a mess if you know what your doing it took me like 5-10min with out any problems to jailbreak to 1.1.2 on my ipod touch

londondude
Dec 29, 2007, 10:00 AM
Please! Jeez, a most basic feature still left out? I'd trade in just about all of these (with the possible exception of GPS) just for the ability to delete multiple emails.

Hello? McFly?

maybe slide finger over trash to empty all trash.

walnuts
Dec 29, 2007, 10:05 AM
Reading all of these responses makes me look

[1] the updates presented in 1.1.3 are simple updates that should NOT have taken this long.

[4] Companies always think of life span growth of their product which means when they are in the meeting rooms drafting a new product, they always consider how far and how many features they can possibly bring to the table over a span of 10 years. Once they determine this, they plot a "SPOON FEEDING" course of (a) releasing small amounts of feature updates during the shelf life of the CURRENT VERSIONS of their product on the market and (b) and more significant updates with the release of NEW GENERATIONS of their product.

With all of that being said, Apple has definitely plotted a course for it's product. They have in mind tons of features and abilities they plan to unveil over time but here's how they plan to do it; Through Current Version Updates, and through Next Generation Upgrading.

Let's start with iPhone Gen 1. iPhone Gen 1 will have x amount of features and during it's shelf life, they will seed us with MINOR UPDATES to it's functionality. This is called current version updating where you seed small functionality updates only and nothing drastically different.

For iPhone Gen 2, Apple will introduce a FEW NEW FEATURES along with a FEW NEW APPS. This is called Generation upgrading. During this phase , the consumer will see a significant increase in functionality, features and applications and possibly a double release of a Casual iPhone (much like what we have now) and a Power User Version (with all of the functionality necessary to place it in the category of PDA because of the features presented).

This is approach is mandatory to ensure the consumer will have a JUSTIFIABLE REASON to purchase the next generation iPhone besides it's just being 3G. For this reason, they will not flood this version of the iPhone with tons of features, rather MORSELS.

I'm not so sure that all of this i true. I am sure that apple is rationing out features in a way so as to keep the iPhone marketable, but there are two things we are missing here:

1. In the January 07 keynote, Steve made a big deal about how the iphone was software upgradeable. He went off for a couple minutes on how if you all of a sudden needed a new button, you couldn't do that with phones already on the market. He/apple needs to either wait long enough for us to forget that the iphone was marketed in this way or satisfy us with enough software updates and/or entice us with more hardware features. They can't fool us by promising software upgrades and not delivering too many times before people stop buying.

2. If they truly are spoon feeding us minor updates, don't we all think that they would have been worked out a little better? There are simple things like safari crashing and ipod crashing while surfing that one would think that would apple would have focused on if they weren't busy making new updates.

Virgil-TB2
Dec 29, 2007, 10:23 AM
None of these features are iPhone specific, so it seems pretty likely.Well the "locate me" feature would have to be iPhone specific ... :)

kcmac
Dec 29, 2007, 10:33 AM
Sure the iPhone is missing features. So do all of Apples applications at the start. The iPhone still is better than most version 1 offerings it has ever done.

I don't have an iPhone (yet) but I know an increasingly large amount of people that do. Almost all of the people I see and know using them are also using them for business as well as personal use.

They love their iPhones and would never go back to their Blackberries, Treos, Razrs, etc. Sure, they will tell me what things they would like to see added to the iPhone but they are quick to point out that it is still the best and easiest to use phone they have ever had. Some of these people are PC users and here they are with glee showing me each and every feature. (Like I don't already know. But it is fun to see them having so much fun showing me.)

When you take a breath from your ranting in these posts, stop and think for a moment if you really want to go back to your old phone experiences or currently truly enjoy what you have. Or stop and think if the only reason holding you back is either you don't currently have ATT or maybe it costs more than you are comfortable paying. (While you put away your current phone, iPod, other gadgets, etc $$$).

The iPhone ain't perfect, Apple will most certainly keep bringing on the features (updates and future models ala the iPod) and it is still leaps and bounds better than any phone experience I have ever had. I am dying for one.

Come on MacWorld and goodbye Verizon!

Sai Zelion
Dec 29, 2007, 10:33 AM
.... Oh well, we don't have the gloss but we do have the features.

Well said my friend, well said.

krimpet
Dec 29, 2007, 10:35 AM
I really want these to be real, but after opening them up in PS I'm a little worried that they are not. In particular, some of the elements in the new features seem sharper than the rest of the image and in the one that shows the information box about moving icons on the home screen, the notification box is looks off-center relative to the home screen beneath it. Also the depth of field in the locate-me image is very strange.

I hope I'm wrong...

Cleverboy
Dec 29, 2007, 10:39 AM
And those Apple fans not into the hype of the iPhone and AT&T will sit back and do whatever jobs is doing on stage with their Treos, Blackberries, HTCs, Samsungs, LGs, and various other smart devices that have been on the market for years. Too bad those phones don't have the sleek UI of the iPhone..... Oh well, we don't have the gloss but we do have the features. Meh. I'm very big on the iPhone interface, the challenges of bringing it to market, and the realities of getting out a relatively stable product that is updatable. Apple didn't ask people to dream little dreams about their phone, they just said... Here, this is what it does. Try it out. Buy it if you like it. And people did. Pretty simple.

I could do a lot of things with my last phone that I never used because it was as annoying as hell to do so. I wish all the people that say Apple should have launched with more features could just clamp it shut. You launch with the software you HAVE not the software you'd LIKE to have ready. If Apple said the iPhone was launching January 2008, simply to have a few more of these features, it would have been ridiculous. I've had an extremely AWESOME 5 months. Even still, lots of bugs to work out in a new platform with a revolutionary interface and a brand spanking new mobile OS.

I mean, YES... Jobs will inevitably show something onstage that people have had on their phones before. Duh. Why does Google bother showing us that Google Maps now supports GPS? People have had GPS on their phone before too. In fact, many people were foregoing their GPS phone systems and still using Google maps because it was BETTER than the mapping system in their phones that had GPS built in. Now they don't have to compromise.

I'm not sure why its so hard for some folks to grasp why so many people LOVE the iPhone in spite of the knowledge that while it has many advancements, some other phones still have more features by number. Would I give up the iPhone's visual voicemail for MMS? Um, no. I don't MMS people photos, I email people. Would I give up Multi-touch Safari and go to Windows mobile so that I can get Cut & Paste. Heck no. I'd rather claw out my eyes. Maybe I'd like to sacrifice iTunes compatibility and iPhone's excellent media management for a 5 megapixel camera in a Nokia N95? No... I'd have to be on crack.

Yeah, when Jobso introduces these features to the iPhone... it will be for the iPhone STILL IN MY POCKET, and I will be even more happier with the choice I made. It will be a big deal not simply because some company just added some basic features to a basic phone. It'll be a HUGE deal because a brilliant phone just got better.

~ CB

Consultant
Dec 29, 2007, 10:45 AM
I dunno man. The coloring, the blurs, the shadows, things being at slightly wrong angles. They could be real, but I'm suspicious. Something just seems wrong about the photos. If you can move things around, why not show us a picture of things in different positions instead of everything in the usual position, but a finger supposedly moving something around. And what's with all the convenient blurs? I dunno. I hope it's real.

But, what I REALLY want is an eBook Reader program. Get with it Apple! Sell the books over iTunes, kill the damn Kindle, and profit.

Yup, something tells that these are photoshoped somehow. The brightness of the screen seems to be wrong.

eBook reader = add PDF files to iTunes. Last time I heard worked.

Stella
Dec 29, 2007, 10:46 AM
These are totally fake.

Why do you think this is the case?

LOL. Doesn't sound like a good update!

I've had numerous updates for my Nokia and SE smartphones. The price of these updates rolled into the price of the phone. These phones, despite lacking the UI of the iPhone have been more productive than the iPhone could ever be. I'd rather have substance over style. Its a trade off - a slightly less usable UI for far more functionality than the iPhone will offer for a long time.

Consultant
Dec 29, 2007, 10:52 AM
I've had numerous updates for my Nokia and SE smartphones. The price of these updates rolled into the price of the phone. These phones, despite lacking the UI of the iPhone have been more productive than the iPhone could ever be. I'd rather have substance over style. Its a trade off - a slightly less usable UI for far more functionality than the iPhone will offer for a long time.

iPhone users are NOT paying additional fee to get firmware update.

Putting out FUD on another product (which seems like you have a gripe against) does not mean what you are using is right.

Chris Bangle
Dec 29, 2007, 10:52 AM
I really want these to be real, but after opening them up in PS I'm a little worried that they are not. In particular, some of the elements in the new features seem sharper than the rest of the image and in the one that shows the information box about moving icons on the home screen, the notification box is looks off-center relative to the home screen beneath it. Also the depth of field in the locate-me image is very strange.

I hope I'm wrong...

You were probably one of the people who said the fatty nano picture was fake... why are people so dismissive, I think that these ARE REAL and if they are not I will be furious. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

dwd3885
Dec 29, 2007, 10:58 AM
when are we going to get MMS people!?!

Virgil-TB2
Dec 29, 2007, 10:58 AM
I use an Excel spreadsheet on my HTC Mogul (6800) every single work day. I have to keep track of my vehicle's mileage in a simple spreadsheet. It works incredibly well. With the iPhone's larger screen, more memory, and faster processor it should be better on the iPhone.

Apple already provides editing support for word and excel documents with Pages and Numbers. Hell I'd be happy with a mobile version of Numbers that I can save as an Excel document at the end of the month to turn in my log.

Without OTA sync and some spreadsheet editing ability the iPhone is useless to me.I'm not sure what the eventual solution to your problems will be, but a full-scale document editing program on the iPhone is likely not coming at all. There just isn't enough room on the screen for anything that complicated.

Consider your spreadsheet problem though.

What you have essentially is a simple list that you can carry with you and edit (or perhaps a table.) To achieve this now, you are using a hugely bloated spreadsheet program that is part of the gigantic bloated MS Office software nightmare.

Instead of wondering when they are going to shoehorn Excel or it's equivalent onto the iPhone, maybe you should be looking at a simpler or more appropriate solution in general.

If it's just you that needs the spreadsheet, and if it's true that you really need it, then a sub-notebook or a regular laptop might be a better choice. If the spreadsheet is of any size at all, your previous experience on the Mogul can only have been some kind of agony. It would also necessitate a stylus to work at all which the iPhone does not have.

I have never had a portable spreadsheet experience that wasn't akin to looking through a keyhole in such situations myself. Both times I tried it (once on a Palm and once on a PocketPC), it was more of a technology demonstration than anything actually useful.

The iPhone would be just as bad at this kind of thing as all the other pocket computers are.

A better solution, (especially if multiple employees access that spreadsheet), is to have it online and have people edit it from their devices remotely. That's a much better solution all around and could be set-up on the iPhone right now.

You could also just store the information as a text list and sync it with Excel when you are back at the office or have your laptop.

One important caveat about Excel in general: :eek:

A lot of people don't realise that Microsoft Excel has very nasty, and very poorly implemented "multiple user" support. In fact, it doesn't really do it at all. Multiple people can edit the same sheets at the same time, but there is no way to see the other peoples edits, so it's extremely easy to corrupt the data or screw up the spreadsheet in a number of ways. (The code is a kludge from the early 90's I think.)

For that reason allowing more than one user to edit an Excel file "live" is a disaster waiting to happen and no sane IT person would ever advise it.

Manic Mouse
Dec 29, 2007, 10:59 AM

Putting out FUD on another product (which seems like you have a gripe against) does not mean what you are using is right.

Well they sorta are paying for them, with Apple getting a portion of their monthly contract fee.

diamond.g
Dec 29, 2007, 10:59 AM

I thought the cut of monthly fees that Apple gets is what is allowing them to add features that they had to charge (802.11n) people for previously due to some law.

I'm not sure what the eventual solution to your problems will be, but a full-scale document editing program on the iPhone is likely not coming at all. There just isn't enough room on the screen for anything that complicated.

Consider your spreadsheet problem though.

What you have essentially is a simple list that you can carry with you and edit (or perhaps a table.) To achieve this now, you are using a hugely bloated spreadsheet program that is part of the gigantic bloated MS Office software nightmare.

Instead of wondering when they are going to shoehorn Excel or it's equivalent onto the iPhone, maybe you should be looking at a simpler or more appropriate solution in general.

If it's just you that needs the spreadsheet, and if it's true that you really need it, then a sub-notebook or a regular laptop might be a better choice. If the spreadsheet is of any size at all, your previous experience on the Mogul can only have been some kind of agony. It would also necessitate a stylus to work at all which the iPhone does not have.

I have never had a portable spreadsheet experience that wasn't akin to looking through a keyhole in such situations myself. Both times I tried it (once on a Palm and once on a PocketPC), it was more of a technology demonstration than anything actually useful.

The iPhone would be just as bad at this kind of thing as all the other pocket computers are.

A better solution, (especially if multiple employees access that spreadsheet), is to have it online and have people edit it from their devices remotely. That's a much better solution all around and could be set-up on the iPhone right now.

You could also just store the information as a text list and sync it with Excel when you are back at the office or have your laptop.

One important caveat about Excel in general: :eek:

A lot of people don't realise that Microsoft Excel has very nasty, and very poorly implemented "multiple user" support. In fact, it doesn't really do it at all. Multiple people can edit the same sheets at the same time, but there is no way to see the other peoples edits, so it's extremely easy to corrupt the data or screw up the spreadsheet in a number of ways. (The code is a kludge from the early 90's I think.)

For that reason allowing more than one user to edit an Excel file "live" is a disaster waiting to happen and no sane IT person would ever advise it.

Multiple users editing the same table at the same time is what SQL/Access is for. Excel wasn't designed for that.

plumbingandtech
Dec 29, 2007, 11:01 AM
Well they sorta are paying for them, with Apple getting a portion of their monthly contract fee.

Nope. We pay no more fees then those explicitely stated when we signed up for ATT.

ATT and apple share those, but I for one am paying less per month and getting unlimited Internet then I did with tmobile with my sucktastic blackberry.

Cleverboy
Dec 29, 2007, 11:01 AM
The thing that baffles me about Apple's approach to iPhone updates is that many of these tweaks and changes are seemingly simple, conceptually speaking. Multiple text recipients shouldn't have taken this long. I'm not complaining, I just don't see why they're drawing it all out so much. Hey, I was one o the first people to post my visual take on how Apple could implement Cut & Paste. Sure, it all LOOKS simply, but I feel super-clear that Apple isn't in a rush to throw features in that it will re-think and regret later. I get the impression they only have ONE shot, and the last thing they want to do is add features in, that they need to remove later for system stability. For all the power a GPS would take, I think its great that they waited for Google to launch its triangulation based service. If someone wants a "real" GPS, there are not provisions in Googles map API for Apple to take advantage of that without retrofitting their OWN solution on top of Google's.

Again, I've really enjoyed my iPhone, but adding media texting and multiple text recipients are among a handful of things that would improve user experience without some earth-shattering change or epic difficulty on the part of the programmers working on the iPhone updates. Corporate tactics aside, it seems that this should have been a quick, easy change within the first couple of months. Every new feature has to be tested properly. I mean, given what we THOUGHT we saw working perfectly fine in January, why were people pulled off of Leopard in order to launch the iPhone in time? Because its a lot of WORK to get it right (or at least in the ballpark)!

At any rate, let's be thankful that Apple keeps the updates rolling out and has paid attention to us iPhone owners. :)Well, Amen on that. I think Apple is showing iPhone owners nothing BUT love. Price Drop. $100 store credit. YouTube. iTunes WiFi Store. Custom Ringtone support. Modal iPod Player Dialog Box. Sure, its been rocky, but these new features are shooting down the pike and highly appreciated. More to come, is just plain GRAVY, baby.

~ CB

AppleFanboy33
Dec 29, 2007, 11:05 AM
You know what? I hope they NEVER add MMS support.

MMS is a subpar standard. It's severly crippled in terms of network support and standardisation. For example. Some networks won't allow MMS messages of over 100k, some will. some will allow only 50k. So if apple wants to use MMS to send photos from the camera, it'll have to resize them down to tiny postage stamp sized images. And to be honest, even then you don't know if the recipient will get them.

MMS usage is not all that high. sure some people are always the exception to the rule. but most likely you only send 2-5 MMS's a month. Be realistic folks. MMS is a dying technology.

Since when has Apple included dying technology's in new products? It is much smarter idea to not include it, and then really showcase how awesome email is for sending photos or attachements with.

I'm glad they've not added it. And i'd be rather annoyed if they did just for the sake of a few people who think that it's still got a place in today's email driven world.

Oh, and Hi! i'm new here. :D

btw - i'm still not sure if these screenshots are real or not. It does look like a good point release though. obviously we'd all like more. but this looks like a good amount, until after the SDK hits.

bacaramac
Dec 29, 2007, 11:05 AM
Hi new to macrumors, but wanted to post a comment. The home screen message does not look off center. If you look at the weather icon and you tube icon on your iphone the message looks perfectly centered. The message hits right at the edge of the tv tube on the icon and the same amount of space appears to be remaining on the edge of the weather icon.

Just my thought.

Stella
Dec 29, 2007, 11:07 AM

FUD - Are you sure ( anyway, what I said doesn't sound like Fear Uncertainty and Doubt to me )? Didn't SJ say the subscription fee covered on going iPhone development?

I seem to recall he did. If I'm wrong then thanks for correcting me.

aanndrew
Dec 29, 2007, 11:11 AM
what a dissapointment eughhh
come on
apple won't bring such a weak update out after ALOT of people have complained duhh.
people shut up going on about your jailbroken iPhones
what makes you think you will be able to use the sdk apps
when they arrive ? The phone wasn't made for payg its contract
so why complain its not apples fault its you own now get over it
the next update will block all phones that have been jailbroken and activated
by 3rd party apps. Simple dum ass
Mines NOT hacked or jailbroken mines with o2
If you can't afffors the contract dont buy it if you hack it you won't have
new features wen they come out.

Ill update but I still want to see mms/video rec-plybk/games/Im and other fun apps. Also be able tovwach videos on the internet.

Slip
Dec 29, 2007, 11:12 AM
The rearranging applications is the only thing that would make me upgrade. Customize gets a little tired when you have to move them around in the list and then when its done my merged Music-and-Video-into-iPod-icon is on the home screen and not in the dock meaning I have to edit and re-upload the N45AP.plist.
Get's a little old
This is assuming these features are in the iPod update ;)

macridah
Dec 29, 2007, 11:12 AM
will sending the same text message to 3 different people count as 3 txt messages sent or just one? I could imagine going over my 200/month limit very fast.

diamond.g
Dec 29, 2007, 11:13 AM

MMS is a subpar standard. It's severly crippled in terms of network support and standardisation. For example. Some networks won't allow MMS messages of over 100k, some will. some will allow only 50k. So if apple wants to use MMS to send photos from the camera, it'll have to resize them down to tiny postage stamp sized images. And to be honest, even then you don't know if the recipient will get them.

MMS usage is not all that high. sure some people are always the exception to the rule. but most likely you only send 2-5 MMS's a month. Be realistic folks. MMS is a dying technology.

Since when has Apple included dying technology's in new products? It is much smarter idea to not include it, and then really showcase how awesome email is for sending photos or attachements with.

I'm glad they've not added it. And i'd be rather annoyed if they did just for the sake of a few people who think that it's still got a place in today's email driven world.

Oh, and Hi! i'm new here. :D

btw - i'm still not sure if these screenshots are real or not. It does look like a good point release though. obviously we'd all like more. but this looks like a good amount, until after the SDK hits.
It is more standard than phones that can get email. Shoot more phone accept Video Mail than accept email.

AT&T could have made the transition less painful by giving all their subscribers email addresses like Sprint does. Then at least all their mobile users would have a way to send and receive photos and not rely on MMS.

diamond.g
Dec 29, 2007, 11:15 AM
will sending the same text message to 3 different people count as 3 txt messages sent or just one? I could imagine going over my 200/month limit very fast.

Most make it count as 3. One text message per person, or at least that is how my old phone used to send out the messages.

cbrain
Dec 29, 2007, 11:17 AM
Hi,

An option in System Preferences to have one "iPod" icon instead of a "Music" and a "Video" would be a great compliment to the update if the Home Screen re-arranging also gets added to the iPod Touch.

There should also be an option to disable re-arranging.

My first post as a contributer. :eek:

Slip
Dec 29, 2007, 11:18 AM
Hi,

An option in System Preferences to have one "iPod" icon instead of a "Music" and a "Video" would be a great compliment to the update if the Home Screen re-arranging also gets added to the iPod Touch.

I would love that. As mentioned above, using the current method's a tad annoying :rolleyes:

Virgil-TB2
Dec 29, 2007, 11:20 AM
Reading all of these responses makes me look at things very closely regarding Apple. Here are some things that are very evident...Sorry Sai but IMO you are completely wrong here on almost every point.

Your whole post reads like an insane rant by an angry person who's "just not going to take it anymore" but it's completely out of sync with the much milder reality of the situation.

I won't go into every detail, but the basic idea you're pushing, that "they should have had this stuff at the beginning" is not supported by the facts.

iPhone 1.1.1 barely got out the door in time, was buggy, and hardly even an OS at all. The first revision to it was basically the "1.0" version of the OS. The iPhone has also been out for less than a year and has been updated twice already. To imply that this is "slow" or "behind the curve" or any of those things is simply way over the top.

Secondly, your whole argument is based on the (unsupported!) assumption that this kind of eking out of features one by one, is standard business practice for such companies. You further imply that Apple must also be doing this, and that the whole conspiracy scenario is intentional on Apples part (also unsupported).

You just have no evidence for any of this.

Furthermore, Apples history, it's past actions, and it's policies and goals all argue against your interpretation of them as miserly profit seekers.

Manic Mouse
Dec 29, 2007, 11:25 AM
I thought the cut of monthly fees that Apple gets is what is allowing them to add features that they had to charge (802.11n) people for previously due to some law.

I really doubt that there's a law that says you have to pay for firmware updates. Loads of devices, including phones, do it for free. My PSP, PS3, 360 and K810i get free firmware updates.

Why would there be a law that says you have to charge for something, especially something like software?

drusoicy
Dec 29, 2007, 11:27 AM
Seriously people? Have you even done any research? Are you TRYING to find things to nitpick?

I took these photos with my OWN camera, using my OWN iPhone. My name is Andru Edwards. I run Gear Live. Try Googling my name and read some of the stuff out there on me. I was just named one of the "Top 25 Innovators in Seattle" by Seattle Magazine. I think I have a lot more things to do with my time other than freaking sitting here and photoshopping some images together in a pathetic ploy to gain traffic.

These pictures are real. If you don't want to believe that, for whatever reason you are choosing, whatever.

People were saying the same thing when we were the FIRST site to use the phrase "iPod nano" days before it was announced.

plumbingandtech
Dec 29, 2007, 11:29 AM
I really doubt that there's a law that says you have to pay for firmware updates. Loads of devices, including phones, do it for free. My PSP, PS3, 360 and K810i get free firmware updates.

Why would there be a law that says you have to charge for something, especially something like software?

Never mind. I thought you where talking about something else.

EagerDragon
Dec 29, 2007, 11:30 AM
It was my understanding that Apple was accounting for the iPhone revenue on a monthly basis over a 24 month period, so they could release new features and not have to charge for them.

So far they been no significant update other than bug fixes which they need to do anyway regardless of accounting practice.

Nice but still not impressed, the iPhone has been out a while now and they should have provided at least 1 major app.

The locate me is available from Google on most other phones including my palm 650, so this is just keeping with the competition.

AppleFanboy33
Dec 29, 2007, 11:33 AM
It is more standard than phones that can get email. Shoot more phone accept Video Mail than accept email.

AT&T could have made the transition less painful by giving all their subscribers email addresses like Sprint does. Then at least all their mobile users would have a way to send and receive photos and not rely on MMS.

No, most phones can get email fine. it's just that setting them up with your email accounts requires a masters in computer science. :rolleyes:

Even if more people can happily receive MMS's, doesn't mean that it's something that companies should support going forward. As soon as a company like apple adds MMS to the product, there is no way they can remove it, when people get sick of the low quality photos. For example a lot of competitor phones are coming out with cameras with 5megapixels or even larger. We're talking 1000s of pixels wide here folks. MMS can only support up to 640*480px (feel free to read over the specifications: http://www.openmobilealliance.org/release_program/docs/MMS/V1_2-20050301-A/OMA-MMS-CONF-V1_2-20050301-A.pdf), so really. MMS is kinda lame. and will ultimately die the death it should.

What all mobile phone companies should do is work out ways to improve email support, and email setup wizards and the like. As email will provide the gap between mobile device, and desktop as well, while also providing the capacity for high resolution multimegapixel images.

Cleverboy
Dec 29, 2007, 11:37 AM
Seriously people? Have you even done any research? Are you TRYING to find things to nitpick?

I took these photos with my OWN camera, using my OWN iPhone. My name is Andru Edwards. I run Gear Live. Try Googling my name and read some of the stuff out there on me. I was just named one of the "Top 25 Innovators in Seattle" by Seattle Magazine. I think I have a lot more things to do with my time other than freaking sitting here and photoshopping some images together in a pathetic ploy to gain traffic.

These pictures are real. If you don't want to believe that, for whatever reason you are choosing, whatever.

People were saying the same thing when we were the FIRST site to use the phrase "iPod nano" days before it was announced.LOL. It's amazing. One group of people is saying, "It's about time!" and another group is saying, "It's SO fake! I can tell, because I'm L33t with my shop skillz." :rolleyes: Personally, I tend to look at the whole picture as to whether it makes sense or not. It's completely not worth arguing about. I'm only wondering when these will finally be released, I'm already excited.

Good job, Andru. Thanks.

~ CB

chris200x9
Dec 29, 2007, 11:38 AM
Am I the only one who thinks SDK and 1.1.3 released at macworld, and third part apps require 1.1.3?

as for the SDK not being scheduled for release until February remember under promise over deliver. ;)

remember you heard it here first :cool:

Stella
Dec 29, 2007, 11:38 AM
You always get these 'photoshop experts' closely examining screenshots and shout 'fake' if there's one pixel out of place ( which could be do with many things, such as anti-aliasing or font smoothing) !

Of course, more often than not, they are eating their words within the next few days or weeks!

My general opinion is, someone must be very very bored if they are creating fake photos for point iPhone software release ; which I doubt anyone would bother at all. Isn't it better to generate hype by creating screenshots for something a bit more interesting such as the iPhone 2 / iPhone SDK, or Apple sub-notebook laptop that is apparently coming out in a matter of weeks?

---

drusoicy -> Congrats on your accolade.

People were saying the same thing when we were the FIRST site to use the phrase "iPod nano" days before it was announced.

diamond.g
Dec 29, 2007, 11:40 AM

From Arstechnica (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/1/15/6637):
The reason: the Core 2 Duo Macs werenít advertised as 802.11n-ready, and a little law called the Sarbanes-Oxley Act supposedly prohibits Apple from giving away an unadvertised new feature for one of its products. Hence, said the Apple rep, the companyís not distributing new features in Software Update any more, just bug fixes. Because of Sarbanes-Oxley.

Because of the Act, the company believes that if it sells a product, then later adds a feature to that product, it can be held liable for improper accounting if it recognizes revenue from the product at the time of sale, given that it hasnít finished delivering the product at that point. Ridiculous.
So Apple is avoiding it by saying that the money they get from AT&T to get around that Act.

RidleyGriff
Dec 29, 2007, 11:40 AM
MMS can only support up to 640*480px... [snip] MMS is kinda lame. and will ultimately die the death it should.

THANK YOU AF33. This whole MMS nonsense reminds me of the "OMG There's no floppy drive Apple screwed up this time FOR SURE!" nonsense when the original iMac came out.

Implementing and supporting dead technologies just for the sake of legacy support is not something forward-thinking, game-changing companies do -- particularly when said legacy tech has already been rendered obsolete by other consumer-driven factors (in this case, higher-res cameras).

In five years, everybody will be talking about Ye Olde MMS, how quaint it was, and how the iPhone's lack of support for it was its death knell -- and what a GOOD THING this was.

diamond.g
Dec 29, 2007, 11:44 AM
No, most phones can get email fine. it's just that setting them up with your email accounts requires a masters in computer science. :rolleyes:

Even if more people can happily receive MMS's, doesn't mean that it's something that companies should support going forward. As soon as a company like apple adds MMS to the product, there is no way they can remove it, when people get sick of the low quality photos. For example a lot of competitor phones are coming out with cameras with 5megapixels or even larger. We're talking 1000s of pixels wide here folks. MMS can only support up to 640*480px (feel free to read over the specifications: http://www.openmobilealliance.org/release_program/docs/MMS/V1_2-20050301-A/OMA-MMS-CONF-V1_2-20050301-A.pdf), so really. MMS is kinda lame. and will ultimately die the death it should.

What all mobile phone companies should do is work out ways to improve email support, and email setup wizards and the like. As email will provide the gap between mobile device, and desktop as well, while also providing the capacity for high resolution multimegapixel images.
Just so you know if you email a photo from an iPhone to someone the iPhone resizes the pic to 640*480... But everything else you said is true.

Cleverboy
Dec 29, 2007, 11:44 AM

I'm glad they've not added it. And i'd be rather annoyed if they did just for the sake of a few people who think that it's still got a place in today's email driven world.Here, here! Well spoken! My thoughts exactly. Cellphones have been an unfathomable cabal of conflicting interests for TOO LONG. Even if you COULD send an MMS to people, its usually faaaar more costlier to that person or yourself to do so, than simply e-mailing it to them and having them view their email through Gmail or Hotmail or something.
Oh, and Hi! i'm new here. :DWelcome! :D

~ CB

danielpi
Dec 29, 2007, 11:45 AM
First post for me, though I've been a longtime reader.

Regarding the scrutiny of the photo, speaking as a film geek (and university film production teacher), I would point out that you can make the depth-of-field as shallow or deep as you like, so having a "shallow DoF" is hardly evidence of tampering.

Furthermore, with a Tilt & Shift lens, it's not too tough to change the angle of the plane of focus. And obviously, the photographer can expose for the screen to be as bright or dim as he likes. And in fact, a wide-open aperture on a good lens will give you a very bright screen and a very shallow DoF, so I just don't see the problem there.

That said, it is somewhat doubtful that the photographer in question had a Tilt & Shift mechanism -- or that he was shooting with a medium format camera. I'm not saying I think the photos are real or fake, but some of the photographic comments here don't seem particularly accurate. For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any "crooked" lines or anything. It LOOKS real to me, insofar as photographic quality.

Hope this post isn't too pretentious -- just trying to contribute.

Manic Mouse
Dec 29, 2007, 11:51 AM

So Apple is avoiding it by saying that the money they get from AT&T to get around that Act.

But how do other manufacturers get around this? I've never heard of any other manufacturer having problems giving out free updates. The 360 and PS3, for example, constantly get firmware updates that add new features (with the latest update I can play .avi files on my 360).

AppleFanboy33
Dec 29, 2007, 11:53 AM
Just so you know if you email a photo from an iPhone to someone the iPhone resizes the pic to 800*600... But everything else you said is true.

Yup, and Apple can easily increase the resizing to whatever size they want, or send the full unresized image, because the email POP/IMAP standards allows for unlimited file size. Sure, some email providers do limit the size of attachments, but again these are soft restrictions that can be changed very easily as the network capacity increases.

Good riddance to MMS! :D

diamond.g
Dec 29, 2007, 11:54 AM
But how do other manufacturers get around this? I've never heard of any other manufacturer having problems giving out free updates. The 360 and PS3, for example, constantly get firmware updates that add new features (with the latest update I can play .avi files on my 360).

I don't know. But that was the excuse Apple gave for the 802.11n enabler not being free. I suppose MS, Sony, and Nintendo could say that they take some of the revenues from licensing and apply that to new features.

karlfranz
Dec 29, 2007, 11:56 AM

Without OTA sync and some spreadsheet editing ability the iPhone is useless to me.

With the SDK coming out in about a month, I imagine such a trivial application as the one you need (a mileage logger) would be a cinch to create. Using or asking Apple to support editing of Excel spreadsheets for such a minor requirement is a waste. I'm sure any simple app could create a csv file that could then be imported into Excel if that was a real necessity.

diamond.g
Dec 29, 2007, 11:58 AM
Yup, and Apple can easily increase the resizing to whatever size they want, or send the full unresized image, because the email POP/IMAP standards allows for unlimited file size. Sure, some email providers do limit the size of attachments, but again these are soft restrictions that can be changed very easily as the network capacity increases.

Good riddance to MMS! :D
I edited my post, it is actually 640*480 (actually was like 426 or so). If that is the current resolution then there is no reason why they couldn't support MMS for that resolution and send half size pictures via email. I mean the pic I sent myself was only 97k so sending 800*600 should be about 200k.

I don't care if they add MMS or not. I just think it is interesting that email is supposed to be so much better, when in its current implementation it isn't (why can I only send 1 picture at a time?).

karlfranz
Dec 29, 2007, 12:04 PM

Umm... you may want to read up on a little thing called the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 or Sarbox before you start spouting off about stuff you obviously are not familiar with.

krimpet
Dec 29, 2007, 12:07 PM

Fair enough, like I said, I want it to be true...

AppleFanboy33
Dec 29, 2007, 12:09 PM
I edited my post, it is actually 640*480 (actually was like 426 or so). If that is the current resolution then there is no reason why they couldn't support MMS for that resolution and send half size pictures via email. I mean the pic I sent myself was only 97k so sending 800*600 should be about 200k.

I don't care if they add MMS or not. I just think it is interesting that email is supposed to be so much better, when in its current implementation it isn't (why can I only send 1 picture at a time?).

Again, it's all about keeping things simple. If apple added a seperate MMS application, or even merged SMS/MMS together. it would create confusion for users... Ie "Should i send a photo through MMS or Email?" which is free? which costs more? Maybe i want both?

It's much better to just leave it out, and focus on one thing, and do that instead. Certainly, as you've mentioned the emailed photos are quite small currently. But this is of course the first iPhone released, and it's only using EDGE (or sometimes slower GPRS when EDGE isn't available). I think it's a good size for the time being, until the next iPhone comes out supporting faster network speeds.

Keep things simple, introduce suitable features (that 80% of users ACTUALLY use), and take baby steps. This keeps the product light, easy to use, and doesn't confuse users.

Your question about why it can't send multiple images at a time.. It's the same thing, in order to add multiple images, they'd have to invent a whole new interaction model. The iPhone currently doesn't have "Multiple Select" anywhere on the device. Using a checkbox based system would be lame, and is not very "WOW" in this day of age. Again, it comes down to the 80/20 rule. if 80% of the time 1 selection is fine, then don't worry about the 20% of the time. IT' just complicates the design.

thegman1234
Dec 29, 2007, 12:18 PM
Meh. I'm very big on the iPhone interface, the challenges of bringing it to market, and the realities of getting out a relatively stable product that is updatable. Apple didn't ask people to dream little dreams about their phone, they just said... Here, this is what it does. Try it out. Buy it if you like it. And people did. Pretty simple.

I could do a lot of things with my last phone that I never used because it was as annoying as hell to do so. I wish all the people that say Apple should have launched with more features could just clamp it shut. You launch with the software you HAVE not the software you'd LIKE to have ready. If Apple said the iPhone was launching January 2008, simply to have a few more of these features, it would have been ridiculous. I've had an extremely AWESOME 5 months. Even still, lots of bugs to work out in a new platform with a revolutionary interface and a brand spanking new mobile OS.

I mean, YES... Jobs will inevitably show something onstage that people have had on their phones before. Duh. Why does Google bother showing us that Google Maps now supports GPS? People have had GPS on their phone before too. In fact, many people were foregoing their GPS phone systems and still using Google maps because it was BETTER than the mapping system in their phones that had GPS built in. Now they don't have to compromise.

I'm not sure why its so hard for some folks to grasp why so many people LOVE the iPhone in spite of the knowledge that while it has many advancements, some other phones still have more features by number. Would I give up the iPhone's visual voicemail for MMS? Um, no. I don't MMS people photos, I email people. Would I give up Multi-touch Safari and go to Windows mobile so that I can get Cut & Paste. Heck no. I'd rather claw out my eyes. Maybe I'd like to sacrifice iTunes compatibility and iPhone's excellent media management for a 5 megapixel camera in a Nokia N95? No... I'd have to be on crack.

Yeah, when Jobso introduces these features to the iPhone... it will be for the iPhone STILL IN MY POCKET, and I will be even more happier with the choice I made. It will be a big deal not simply because some company just added some basic features to a basic phone. It'll be a HUGE deal because a brilliant phone just got better.

~ CB

Couldn't have said it better myself.

aswitcher
Dec 29, 2007, 12:18 PM
I hope this means the touch gets an update as well. How about mail and maps...

indiekiduk
Dec 29, 2007, 12:19 PM
im suprised macrumors would fall for this spam

Buran
Dec 29, 2007, 12:30 PM
Will someone PLEASE put these on a website that doesn't appear to be on a hand-cranked PC fed by a slow 2400-baud modem somewhere in the backcountry of Montana? This is just plain unacceptable. I can (eventually, after half an hour) get the small thumbnails to load -- which should take just 30 seconds at the MOST. Forget about actually viewing the larger version of a photo.

That said, if the Google Maps iPhone app has cell-tower location, that's great. The Windows Mobile version at least has had that feature for around a month and I've used it. It's amazingly accurate, quick, and has put my actual location within the uncertainty circle every time (that is, when the phone isn't acting up, see below). I love that feature on my AT&T Tilt since it's so much faster than the built-in GPS (which is nice, but when you're indoors no GPS unit is going to be able to get a signal, and getting a lock while outdoors takes a minute or two).

But I'm going to be getting rid of this thing for an iPhone as soon as the iPhone gets at least 12GB of storage space since my music won't fit on 8GB. I hate the Tilt so much that I'm going to sell it on ebay within 3 months of having bought it and get a phone that isn't total garbage. I shouldn't have to repeatedly press the phone button to bring up the dialpad, and then wind up doing a RESET of the stupid thing just to make a lousy phone call! Thankfully I got it through my employer discount which means I got it for 45% off and can resell it for what I paid for it or maybe even a little more. I'll even save $20 a month on my bill even though switching to an iPhone means I'll lose employer discount because then I'll have a $40/mo talk plan and a $20/mo data plan. Still cheaper. Less SMS, but I can deal with that or just pay a little extra to get more messages per month. Plus, when someone puts out an IM app (I bet Apollo will adapt to the official SDK) I'll be able to resume sending messages over the data plan instead of over SMS.

I thought it would be a decent alternative to the iphone because it's got 3G and GPS and a few other things I wanted in a phone, but unfortunately I had to learn firsthand that Windows Mobile is total garbage. I want 3G in an iphone, but given that this thing is making me pull out my hair on a daily basis I'll just deal with EDGE if I have to, and I don't browse the web quite as often as I thought I might, so maybe it won't be so bad. But I'll still be looking to get the 3G model and swap the SIM card if the new version looks decent.

And will all you idiots screaming "FAKE" give it a freaking REST already and stop polluting the discussion with your crud? WE KNOW IT'S NOT CONFIRMED, it's all a what-if discussion, we don't need you on your high horse braying that your "expertise" makes you think it's fake! If it is, you're still not going to be famous! I see that someone posted yet another whine right below me, apparently truth doesn't sink into some heads. Grow up people.

slffl
I think it's fake.

While all the features sound nice and 'official', the photos looked shopped with all of the weird DOF going on.

dan-o-mac
Again, it's all about keeping things simple. If apple added a seperate MMS application, or even merged SMS/MMS together. it would create confusion for users... Ie "Should i send a photo through MMS or Email?" which is free? which costs more? Maybe i want both?

It's much better to just leave it out, and focus on one thing, and do that instead. Certainly, as you've mentioned the emailed photos are quite small currently. But this is of course the first iPhone released, and it's only using EDGE (or sometimes slower GPRS when EDGE isn't available). I think it's a good size for the time being, until the next iPhone comes out supporting faster network speeds.

Keep things simple, introduce suitable features (that 80% of users ACTUALLY use), and take baby steps. This keeps the product light, easy to use, and doesn't confuse users.

Your question about why it can't send multiple images at a time.. It's the same thing, in order to add multiple images, they'd have to invent a whole new interaction model. The iPhone currently doesn't have "Multiple Select" anywhere on the device. Using a checkbox based system would be lame, and is not very "WOW" in this day of age. Again, it comes down to the 80/20 rule. if 80% of the time 1 selection is fine, then don't worry about the 20% of the time. IT' just complicates the design.

Well then that's where Apple failed. I think more people are confused by the fact that my iPhone can't send MMS, can't foward text, and can't send a text to multiple users. First thing they say is why, followed by this look on my face :confused:. They are simple features people have been using for years.

ntrigue
Dec 29, 2007, 12:31 PM
Ultimately, I remain pessimistic regarding iChat functionality. Largely due to capitalism and this 'free' method of texting on a network that otherwise makes money off transmitting messages.

EDIT: Perhaps someone has insight into the T-Mobile Sidekick/AIM functionality?

plumbingandtech
Am I the only one who thinks SDK and 1.1.3 released at macworld, and third part apps require 1.1.3?

as for the SDK not being scheduled for release until February remember under promise over deliver. ;)

remember you heard it here first :cool:

I think you can pretty much count on that. It is not rocket science to believe apple will require the latest os to build on. Makes sense from a support standpoint.

Edit: If not 1.1.4 or 1.5 if one is released around macworld.

ski1ski1

Blackberry routinely releases updates with bug fixes and new features.

segfaultdotorg
Dec 29, 2007, 12:34 PM
As with all other Apple rumours, we'll know it's true if they get a cease and desist letter from Apple Legal.

dan-o-mac
Dec 29, 2007, 12:35 PM

How about you do some research, start with the name of the website you're posting on. What did you expect. :p

plumbingandtech
Dec 29, 2007, 12:37 PM
As with all other Apple rumours, we'll know it's true if they get a cease and desist letter from Apple Legal.

Or they are releasing it Monday and don't give a care about a leak a couple of days before.

Who knows.

All I know if I get pusedo GPS for free if this is true. That's a pretty damn cool feature to me as this will be intergrated already with googlemaps and things are going to go full bore once the 3rd party apps can use this.

cbrain
Dec 29, 2007, 12:38 PM
Hi,

Just adding to this post I made earlier.

It would also be good if iPhone users had the option to have the "Music" and "Videos" icons instead of just the one "iPod" icon.

gerardrj
Dec 29, 2007, 12:45 PM

I agree completely on the OTA calendar thing, it's brain-dead stupid that iCal of the phone can't subscribe to the calendar feeds itself.

As for your milage issue, your thinking old-school. Why launch a heavy-duty spreadsheet app just to track milage? There are several web-based apps targeted at the iPhone for tracking milage. Input is MUCH simpler than a spreadsheet and you can still get an excel file any time you like. I use iPhonemiles.com myself.

carlitofox
Dec 29, 2007, 12:45 PM
just got an iphone for xmas and i expected an update about the time of macworld so that apple could brick all those unlocked phones people got for xmas ....

these look (if there real) great and i can really show of my phone now.

but whats happeneing to Apple lately with the alledged clebs blowing the wistle on a new subbook blatently breaking his NDA(?) 1.1.3 getting leaked, the biggest secret in acouple of years getting leaked (ipod nano g3 aka fattypod) the movie deal coming out Steve needs lots of dutch boys in :apple: HQ

Buran
Dec 29, 2007, 12:51 PM
How about you do some research, start with the name of the website you're posting on. What did you expect. :p

I wasn't aware that this site was called "MacWhiners". That's all these "It's fake!" people are. They think they will somehow be famous and that everyone will bow at their feet and kiss their boots for figuring out the secret.

Not gonna happen.

Oh, and by the way, I'm an advanced amateur photographer, and I don't see any problem with the depth of field. In low light situations cameras open up the aperture to let more light in, especially at lower ISO settings where you get less noise on small sensors, so only a small section of the shot will be in focus. Combine that with taking a picture of something being handheld and probably not in exact parallel with the sensor/film plane. Combine that with handholding meaning you're introducing hand shake on both the subject and the camera (if the camera is also hand held).

It's all ridiculous. People who just sit there looking for a reason to scream "FAKE" need to get outside and go somewhere or do something productive. I'm going to go see a movie later today. How about you?

drusoicy
Dec 29, 2007, 12:51 PM
Actually, we are hosted on two dedicated quad-core Xeon servers, each with 2GB RAM, and 10k RPM drives. We have 1Gb uplink. However, when just about every Apple site across the world links to you at once, along with Digg, Engadget, and Gizmodo, things happen.

Will someone PLEASE put these on a website that doesn't appear to be on a hand-cranked PC fed by a slow 2400-baud modem somewhere in the backcountry of Montana? This is just plain unacceptable. I can (eventually, after half an hour) get the small thumbnails to load -- which should take just 30 seconds at the MOST. Forget about actually viewing the larger version of a photo.

That said, if the Google Maps iPhone app has cell-tower location, that's great. The Windows Mobile version at least has had that feature for around a month and I've used it. It's amazingly accurate, quick, and has put my actual location within the uncertainty circle every time (that is, when the phone isn't acting up, see below). I love that feature on my AT&T Tilt since it's so much faster than the built-in GPS (which is nice, but when you're indoors no GPS unit is going to be able to get a signal, and getting a lock while outdoors takes a minute or two).

But I'm going to be getting rid of this thing for an iPhone as soon as the iPhone gets at least 12GB of storage space since my music won't fit on 8GB. I hate the Tilt so much that I'm going to sell it on ebay within 3 months of having bought it and get a phone that isn't total garbage. I shouldn't have to repeatedly press the phone button to bring up the dialpad, and then wind up doing a RESET of the stupid thing just to make a lousy phone call! Thankfully I got it through my employer discount which means I got it for 45% off and can resell it for what I paid for it or maybe even a little more. I'll even save $20 a month on my bill even though switching to an iPhone means I'll lose employer discount because then I'll have a $40/mo talk plan and a $20/mo data plan. Still cheaper. Less SMS, but I can deal with that or just pay a little extra to get more messages per month. Plus, when someone puts out an IM app (I bet Apollo will adapt to the official SDK) I'll be able to resume sending messages over the data plan instead of over SMS.

I thought it would be a decent alternative to the iphone because it's got 3G and GPS and a few other things I wanted in a phone, but unfortunately I had to learn firsthand that Windows Mobile is total garbage. I want 3G in an iphone, but given that this thing is making me pull out my hair on a daily basis I'll just deal with EDGE if I have to, and I don't browse the web quite as often as I thought I might, so maybe it won't be so bad. But I'll still be looking to get the 3G model and swap the SIM card if the new version looks decent.

And will all you idiots screaming "FAKE" give it a freaking REST already and stop polluting the discussion with your crud? WE KNOW IT'S NOT CONFIRMED, it's all a what-if discussion, we don't need you on your high horse braying that your "expertise" makes you think it's fake! If it is, you're still not going to be famous! I see that someone posted yet another whine right below me, apparently truth doesn't sink into some heads. Grow up people.

AppleFanboy33
Dec 29, 2007, 12:56 PM
Well then that's where Apple failed. I think more people are confused by the fact that my iPhone can't send MMS, can't foward text, and can't send a text to multiple users. First thing they say is why, followed by this look on my face :confused:. They are simple features people have been using for years.

Regarding MMS: So, by that reasoning apple shouldn't have discontinued bundling 3.5inch floppy drives with their computers?

Forwarding SMS's: again, it comes down to complicating the interface, and let's be honest how often do you forward messages? messages that aren't stupid jokes? or chain sms's?

Multiple user SMSs: Certainly, i can see a use case here for this feature. however, apple has chosen to keep things simple for the time being, and really push this new "conversational" sms view. Which currently is grouped by single recipients. By adding multiple members to a conversation, the list view would have to be changed, and the concept of billing for multiple recipients gets a little more confusing too. Ie, if you send a message, and your bubble pops up on screen, but you sent it to 20 people. do you think the average schmuck is gonna understand that it's gonna cost him 20messages credit? considering, it's only shown as a single message bubble?

Baby steps people. I will look forward to the ability to get multiple recipients, but it has to be done right, and in a way that isn't confusing to joe-public. (yes, most mac rumors people are very smart.. but these aren't the people apple is targeting.. they're targeting EVERYBODY!)

drusoicy
Dec 29, 2007, 12:56 PM
I am a horrible photographer. The pictures were taken with a Nikon D80. The one I did a horrible unboxing video on, because I was just getting into DSLRs:

http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/q207-video-unboxing-nikon-d80-outfit/

Anyhow, these were taken wit a macro lens, and if you look at a lot of the other photos on the Gear Live gallery - I mean in separate galleries from the iPhone one - you will see the same effect. The images of the Amazon Kindle are real. The images of the Halo 3 themed Xbox 360 are real. Etc. ;)

I wasn't aware that this site was called "MacWhiners". That's all these "It's fake!" people are. They think they will somehow be famous and that everyone will bow at their feet and kiss their boots for figuring out the secret.

Not gonna happen.

Oh, and by the way, I'm an advanced amateur photographer, and I don't see any problem with the depth of field. In low light situations cameras open up the aperture to let more light in, especially at lower ISO settings where you get less noise on small sensors, so only a small section of the shot will be in focus. Combine that with taking a picture of something being handheld and probably not in exact parallel with the sensor/film plane. Combine that with handholding meaning you're introducing hand shake on both the subject and the camera (if the camera is also hand held).

It's all ridiculous. People who just sit there looking for a reason to scream "FAKE" need to get outside and go somewhere or do something productive. I'm going to go see a movie later today. How about you?

sananda
Dec 29, 2007, 01:00 PM
@drusoicy, is there a new baseband with 1.1.3?

AppleFanboy33
Dec 29, 2007, 01:02 PM
I am a horrible photographer. The pictures were taken with a Nikon D80. The one I did a horrible unboxing video on, because I was just getting into DSLRs:

http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/q207-video-unboxing-nikon-d80-outfit/

Anyhow, these were taken wit a macro lens, and if you look at a lot of the other photos on the Gear Live gallery - I mean in separate galleries from the iPhone one - you will see the same effect. The images of the Amazon Kindle are real. The images of the Halo 3 themed Xbox 360 are real. Etc. ;)

I'm interested if you got to see the way the multiple recipient sms's are shown in the conversation list view. and how replies to the conversation by different people are shown. are bubbles colour coded? or does each bubble have their name above of the sender? if after creating a conversation with multiple recipients, and you reply again to the conversation, does it send another sms to EVERYBODY?

I'd love to here your findings..

drusoicy
Dec 29, 2007, 01:06 PM
Interesting question - I will have to look at that. I will also find out if there is a new baseband. :)

I'm interested if you got to see the way the multiple recipient sms's are shown in the conversation list view. and how replies to the conversation by different people are shown. are bubbles colour coded? or does each bubble have their name above of the sender? if after creating a conversation with multiple recipients, and you reply again to the conversation, does it send another sms to EVERYBODY?

I'd love to here your findings..

sananda
Dec 29, 2007, 01:08 PM
I will also find out if there is a new baseband. :)

thanks.

dan-o-mac
Dec 29, 2007, 01:08 PM

Not gonna happen.

Uh I'm going to BJ's, then to the gym, after that I'll be playing COD 4 for a few hours, then watch some boxing, and the..... :p Don't know long you've been around, but that's the way things work around here. Various sites say they have the latest scoop/pics on Apple products and macrumor members pick it apart and debate on products or features that may or may not even be true. It's all fun and games, no need to take it serious. BTW most turn out not to be true. :D

macses
Dec 29, 2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the site- the gear live one wouldn't load for me. Now, when do you suppose they'll out the dutch language on the iphone?!?
no idea, but my iPhone is already in dutch

sonictonic
Dec 29, 2007, 01:10 PM
Looks like a nice update but I still don't see a reason to stop using my hacked 1.1.1 iPhone. I'm holding out for MMS and STEREO BLUETOOTH and then I'll be back on Apple's track.

Guys, please share your thoughts and feedback with Apple!
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Manic Mouse
Dec 29, 2007, 01:11 PM
I don't know. But that was the excuse Apple gave for the 802.11n enabler not being free. I suppose MS, Sony, and Nintendo could say that they take some of the revenues from licensing and apply that to new features.

Hmm, it all sounds very weird. You don't have to buy any games for a 360 so they can't claim licensing covers it. You can buy a 360, nothing else, and still get software updates. Other phone manufacturers also give away free updates.

And why, exactly, would someone make free software updates illegal? And how can Apple add functionality to stacks in 10.5.2 for free? Why does nobody else abide by this law?

Umm... you may want to read up on a little thing called the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 or Sarbox before you start spouting off about stuff you obviously are not familiar with.

Welcome to two hours ago! :p

kstefanick
Dec 29, 2007, 01:13 PM
It's about time for an upgrade. I check for one pretty much every time I plug my phone in. A little obsessed.

:apple:

drusoicy
Dec 29, 2007, 01:16 PM
OKay guys, hit me with all your questions about 1.1.3 - andru <at> gearlive <dot> com. I will get to them all in a follow up post, cool? ;)

ATG
Dec 29, 2007, 01:19 PM
Sounds OK but nothing major enough to make me consider loosing my jailbreak. Probably won't upgrade until the SDK is released.

Bradley W
Dec 29, 2007, 01:21 PM
OKay guys, hit me with all your questions about 1.1.3 - andru <at> gearlive <dot> com. I will get to them all in a follow up post, cool? ;)

Are you receiving emails if your site is down?

cbrain
Dec 29, 2007, 01:22 PM

Hi Andru,

Do you know and are you allowed to say if there will be an update to the iPod Touch adding some of the new features?

Thanks.

AppleFanboy33
Dec 29, 2007, 01:23 PM
It's about time for an upgrade. I check for one pretty much every time I plug my phone in. A little obsessed.

Right.. cause the last update did come out on Nov 9th. under two months ago! if only my old nokia got updates like that! i'd be lucky to get an update once a year! (and even then it'd just be fixing crashes, or adding more protection to prevent viruses!)

patience! :-) heheh.

philgilder
Dec 29, 2007, 01:36 PM
the site isnt down, just running slowly
has been all day, probably due to the fact that every new post on 1.1.3 links to the site

elppa
Dec 29, 2007, 01:37 PM
Since June:

Apple has
- Released iPhone software 1.0, itterated on it twice, and are now preparing the third update and an SDK.
- They also incorporated the software into a new product, iPod Touch and fully internationalized it.
- Released Leopard and itterated on it once. They are now preparing the second update.

Meanwhile, Microsoft, who shipped Vista (which has many well documented problems) in January this year (late 2006 for Business) have not done one single itteration. They have also delayed their multi-touch project, the Surface, which was due to ship this Winter, until next Spring.

Now I know it's not a competition, but can some people gain some perspective! Apple is going as fast as it can and I'm sure their engineers are going as fast as they can. Some things just take time.

dan-o-mac
Dec 29, 2007, 01:37 PM
Regarding MMS: So, by that reasoning apple shouldn't have discontinued bundling 3.5inch floppy drives with their computers?

Forwarding SMS's: again, it comes down to complicating the interface, and let's be honest how often do you forward messages? messages that aren't stupid jokes? or chain sms's?

Multiple user SMSs: Certainly, i can see a use case here for this feature. however, apple has chosen to keep things simple for the time being, and really push this new "conversational" sms view. Which currently is grouped by single recipients. By adding multiple members to a conversation, the list view would have to be changed, and the concept of billing for multiple recipients gets a little more confusing too. Ie, if you send a message, and your bubble pops up on screen, but you sent it to 20 people. do you think the average schmuck is gonna understand that it's gonna cost him 20messages credit? considering, it's only shown as a single message bubble?

Baby steps people. I will look forward to the ability to get multiple recipients, but it has to be done right, and in a way that isn't confusing to joe-public. (yes, most mac rumors people are very smart.. but these aren't the people apple is targeting.. they're targeting EVERYBODY!)

Well you can't really compare the two. eliminating floppy drive eliminates cost from their computers. What does eliminating MMS accomplish? To me nothing but confusion, because Apple never gave an official word why.

LOL I can't stand chain text myself. A simple swipe chat bubble left to delete message, and swipe chat bubble right to forward would be kick ass.

I think the average joe already knows how much sending a text to multiple user cost. Like I said, most have been using it for years. I do agree that it has to be done right. I love the iPhone the way it is, and don't mind waiting for these extra features to be polished before going public.

X38
Dec 29, 2007, 01:39 PM
meh...

I'm still on 1.0.2 with Installer.app and extremely happy with my iPhone. Given all the cool & useful third party applications that are still coming out, I haven't seen anything yet in the 1.1.x updates to make me consider giving up Installer.app for even a second.

Wake me up when the SDK comes out. Hopefully it will be open enough to allow all the existing third party stuff to be easily ported.

BWhaler
Dec 29, 2007, 01:41 PM
First post for me, though I've been a longtime reader.

Regarding the scrutiny of the photo, speaking as a film geek (and university film production teacher), I would point out that you can make the depth-of-field as shallow or deep as you like, so having a "shallow DoF" is hardly evidence of tampering.

Furthermore, with a Tilt & Shift lens, it's not too tough to change the angle of the plane of focus. And obviously, the photographer can expose for the screen to be as bright or dim as he likes. And in fact, a wide-open aperture on a good lens will give you a very bright screen and a very shallow DoF, so I just don't see the problem there.

That said, it is somewhat doubtful that the photographer in question had a Tilt & Shift mechanism -- or that he was shooting with a medium format camera. I'm not saying I think the photos are real or fake, but some of the photographic comments here don't seem particularly accurate. For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any "crooked" lines or anything. It LOOKS real to me, insofar as photographic quality.

Hope this post isn't too pretentious -- just trying to contribute.

Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

AppleFanboy33
Dec 29, 2007, 01:51 PM
Well you can't really compare the two. eliminating floppy drive eliminates cost from their computers. What does eliminating MMS accomplish? To me nothing but confusion, because Apple never gave an official word why.

Well, i don't think including a floppy drive cost apple, or any other manufacturers much money. considering during the last legs of the life of 3.5 inch drives, they were costing around $20 to consumers, imagine what they cost wholesale? and in bulk?

It was more of "This technology is useless, it only allows for 1.44Mb of data, and the CD is much better suited to modern day use."

So, the same applies to MMS v Email, MMS doesn't allow for modern day high resolution images, it's not reliable in terms of how much data it will or will not allow (each network sets there own limits on how much data they'll accept). And as such Apple just thought.. "Lets not bother adding complexity to our user interface for essentially a dead technology, and instead lets focus on kicking ass at using email!"

At the end of the day, the reason the iPhone is good, is cause it's easy to use, and has a limited feature set. limited in sensible ways too, that help push technology forward, and not pander to old deprecated technologies such as MMS.

gifford
Dec 29, 2007, 02:05 PM

they will get over it. just like the users of carrier pigeons and smoke signals did

albinoAZN
Dec 29, 2007, 02:06 PM
Since June:

Apple has
- Released iPhone software 1.0, itterated on it twice, and are now preparing the third update and an SDK.
- They also incorporated the software into a new product, iPod Touch and fully internationalized it.
- Released Leopard and itterated on it once. They are now preparing the second update.

Meanwhile, Microsoft, who shipped Vista (which has many well documented problems) in January this year (late 2006 for Business) have not done one single itteration. They have also delayed their multi-touch project, the Surface, which was due to ship this Winter, until next Spring.

Now I know it's not a competition, but can some people gain some perspective! Apple is going as fast as it can and I'm sure their engineers are going as fast as they can. Some things just take time.
lol, that's a good perspective.

gnasher729
Dec 29, 2007, 02:08 PM

You are right, that was a gross misrepresentation.

With current US legislation, a company is only allowed to recognise revenue for products that have shipped. A ridiculous consequence of this was that Apple had to charge customers $1.99 for the MacBook 801n upgrade - if Apple hadn't charged, then Apple would have been guilty of recognising revenue for MacBooks without shipping the compete product. That's why Apple recognises revenues for the iPhone over a period of 24 months; that way they have the right to produce as many updates as they want without charging the customer.

I would assume that there will be quite a range of free improvements for iPhone customers over the next 18 months.

sananda
Dec 29, 2007, 02:11 PM
they will get over it. just like the users of carrier pigeons and smoke signals did

are you saying sms is a dead technology? if this is the reason for not having sms with pictures, and sms forwarding, and sending sms to multiple recipients, why is sms included at all?

MacFly123
Dec 29, 2007, 02:11 PM
Maybe someone has said this, but isn't placing the webpages on the home screen a pretty clear indication that the SDK is just going to be Web Apps still that you can put a button for on the home screen??? :( I think we will see another revolt if Apple pulls that!

mmfy
Dec 29, 2007, 02:13 PM
So they've basically jailbreak'd their own device and installed installer.app, customize and summerboard? Think i'll wait for the next update! :cool:

nickspohn
Dec 29, 2007, 02:15 PM
Maybe someone has said this, but isn't placing the webpages on the home screen a pretty clear indication that the SDK is just going to be Web Apps still that you can put a button for on the home screen??? :( I think we will see another revolt if Apple pulls that!

It's just like bookmarks except quicker...

the internet is big, not everything is customized for the iphone or will be made into an app that does all the work.

BobVB
Dec 29, 2007, 02:17 PM
reading through this entire thread of 'still missing features' and no one mentions the one I consider essential in a cell phone - voice dialing. I mean I haven't had a phone (i've kept) that couldn't do voice this millennium, its virtually the only way I dial.

Yet its obvious it is NOT on many people's 'must have' lists so probably why Apple has neglected it.

Oh well, guess I'll have to stick with Nokia and Sony for the foreseeable future. Do people really not use voice dialing?! Some have said they have difficulty using it but other than getting laryngitis or being in a really noisy environment I don't have a problem.

Darn, I'd really love to waste some money but with the new laws requiring handsfree in cars and just the incredible convenience of it I can't see dropping hundreds on a phone without it.

AppleFanboy33
Dec 29, 2007, 02:18 PM
are you saying sms is a dead technology? if this is the reason for not having sms with pictures, and sms forwarding, and sending sms to multiple recipients, why is sms included at all?

SMS is totally different. We're talking about MMS. MMS is dead. SMS is perfect for quick messages to anyone with a mobile. certainly Email or new IM services may replace sms in future. but at the moment, and for the next few years sms is working well for it's purpose.

Also SMS is a tool that people actually use a lot of. ie, i would guess that 80% of mobile users use SMS. where as it's most likely only 20% of mobile users use MMS.

AppleFanboy33
Dec 29, 2007, 02:22 PM
reading through this entire thread of 'still missing features' and no one mentions the one I consider essential in a cell phone - voice dialing. I mean I haven't had a phone (i've kept) that couldn't do voice this millennium, its virtually the only way I dial.

Yet its obvious it is NOT on many people's 'must have' lists so probably why Apple has neglected it.

Oh well, guess I'll have to stick with Nokia and Sony for the foreseeable future. Do people really not use voice dialing?! Some have said they have difficulty using it but other than getting laryngitis or being in a really noisy environment I don't have a problem.

Darn, I'd really love to waste some money but with the new laws requiring handsfree in cars and just the incredible convenience of it I can't see dropping hundreds on a phone without it.

Unfortunetly, only a few even know know about voice dialling, let alone using it. Joe-Consumer is actually pretty dumb when it comes down to it. Also the concept of talking at your phone, or even your desktop computer to initiate some feature/function is still a bit weird to a lot of people.

Remember apple doesn't do fringe features, they instead focus only on ones that most of their target market will use. and sadly voice dialling isn't big enough of a use case.

FreeState
Dec 29, 2007, 02:22 PM

Just an FYI most hosting companies and large websites use different servers for their email and web hosting - so if the website is down email usually always works because they are on different physical drives or locations.

gnasher729
Dec 29, 2007, 02:23 PM

Every dollar that Apple gets from you, they put say 10 cents into a fund for warranty repairs, support, bugfixes etc. So Apple counts only 90 cents as revenue. Once enough time has gone, Apple can check how much of the ten cents was actually spent, and add the rest to the revenues.

The 801n upgrade introduced a new hardware feature that wasn't there before. It turned a slow WiFi connection into a fast one. So this couldn't be paid out of the fund for warranty repairs, support and bugfixes. Apple should have put another two cents of each dollar into a fund for "free improvements to hardware", and count only 88 cents of each dollar as revenues, and they didn't. If Apple had shipped Macs that were supposed to have 801n, and if it was broken because of a firmware bug, then they would have been allowed to fix it for free, taking the money out of the "repairs" fund.

With the iPhone, when you pay $399, Apple counts $16.625 every month as revenues for the next 24 months, so they have the right to make any improvements they want.

Basically, because Enron sold millions of dollars worth of oil to its subsidiaries (without actually delivering anything, but it made things look good on the paper), Apple wasn't allowed to give you better WiFi for free.

sananda
Dec 29, 2007, 02:47 PM
SMS is totally different. We're talking about MMS. MMS is dead. SMS is perfect for quick messages to anyone with a mobile. certainly Email or new IM services may replace sms in future. but at the moment, and for the next few years sms is working well for it's purpose.

Also SMS is a tool that people actually use a lot of. ie, i would guess that 80% of mobile users use SMS. where as it's most likely only 20% of mobile users use MMS.

i thought mms was a type of sms. i don't know i've never sent an mms. but i hear that they are very very popular in england. and until such time as the majority of people have email on their phones, i don't see sms or mms as being dead.

Sai Zelion
Dec 29, 2007, 02:49 PM
Sorry Sai but IMO you are completely wrong here on almost every point.

Your whole post reads like an insane rant by an angry person who's "just not going to take it anymore" but it's completely out of sync with the much milder reality of the situation.

I won't go into every detail, but the basic idea you're pushing, that "they should have had this stuff at the beginning" is not supported by the facts.

iPhone 1.1.1 barely got out the door in time, was buggy, and hardly even an OS at all. The first revision to it was basically the "1.0" version of the OS. The iPhone has also been out for less than a year and has been updated twice already. To imply that this is "slow" or "behind the curve" or any of those things is simply way over the top.

Secondly, your whole argument is based on the (unsupported!) assumption that this kind of eking out of features one by one, is standard business practice for such companies. You further imply that Apple must also be doing this, and that the whole conspiracy scenario is intentional on Apples part (also unsupported).

You just have no evidence for any of this.

Furthermore, Apples history, it's past actions, and it's policies and goals all argue against your interpretation of them as miserly profit seekers.

Thanks for replying to my post. I respect your opinion, but I have to say that you need to calm down and chill out and RE-READ my post because it was not a rant. I'm just simply stating how companies approach product mapping.

What evidence, do I have to support any of what I'm saying? The question should be "what evidence DO I not HAVE?... or better yet, does anyone NOT HAVE." It's common sense Virgil, just look around at any product line that is released in generations like the Xbox, Playstation, Cars, Televisions, Video Games themselves (software not the consoles).

Companies map out what features they can offer with a given product and decided on what pace they introduce them throughout the lifespan of that product- its' common business sense and common consumer sense and Fact.

No company, with half a brain for business sense, releases a product with maxed out capabilities and then RESEARCH to see where they can improve it. No. They always know how far they can go with a product before they release it then they release the product and leave room for improvement so that they can make sure you feel a justified reason to purchase the next edition of that product. This is not a guessing game for power companies like Apple. These things are mapped out. New Features have been added to Leopard that could have been in Tiger. New features are in Flash CS3 that could have been in Flash 8- But that's just how CAPITALISM works.

Halo 2 could have supported online Campaign etc., but they waited to implement it in Halo 3. The 2008 Accord finally has iPod inputs when they could have done it a few years ago..... the list goes on.

There are two sides of the ball to play here: The consumer side, and the Business side. I 'm just explaining both. How things happen from the business side, and how consumers are effected by it (loving or fed up with it).

This is not about picking on Apple, dude, I stated they are a kick ass company go back and re-read. We're just stating the facts. My PPC 6600 which is 2 years old had features the iPhone does not have STOCK and I love my iPhone, but the truth is just the truth. Many people have adopted this "it's revolutionary so we'll over look some little things" mindset, but not everyone has adopted this mindset. You can't run from the the truth that people are paying $400 or $500 for an iPhone and are missing basic features like multiple text forwarding at LAUNCH. It is what it is Virgil. Every company drops the ball every now and again, but it does not me that we think Apple is horrible. here's a news flash, people are allowed to openly criticize companies they support- that's how the companies we love GET IMPROVE (because of these forums).

I'm sorry to burst your bubble and introduce you to a RADICAL way of thinking but that's how companies will always do it. Put yourself in there shoes. If you released a product with every single feature you can think of included in the first generation of that product, why would your target market want to purchase your next edition within 18 months time? Technology doesn't change that fast. Your sales will plummet! Yes, you can REDESIGN IT, but you have to come up with more than cosmetic changes, and TWEAKS (that's what pisses people off about some of the smartphones, they are nicely redesigned by how are they different from one model to the next? that' s why I did not buy the Mogul because I felt like my PPC 6700 was not that far behind lol).

Peace

AppleFanboy33
Dec 29, 2007, 02:50 PM
i thought mms was a type of sms. i don't know i've never sent an mms. but i hear that they are very very popular in england. and until such time as the majority of people have email on their phones, i don't see sms or mms as being dead.

You might be thinking of EMS, which is an enhanced version of SMS which supported small icons and such.. this was even worse than MMS. I think you'll find you're not alone in not sending MMS messages. a lot of people dont. and that is the point for not including it.

nimbuscloud
Dec 29, 2007, 02:53 PM
There's just WAY too much complaining going on here. If your wife bakes you a cake do you throw a fit and say that you wanted a pie?

Geez, everytime Apple does an update, PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT IT! If Apple doesn't do an update, PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT IT!

You tell me a company that will magically read your mind and make all the updates that you want, NO MATTER THE COST, all at once for you. Can't think of any? Then why do you expect Apple to read your mind?

How about sitting back, shutting up, and accepting what you have for a change. If you don't like it, you shouldn't have it in the first place. You're not going to see me sticking my thumb up my butt while complaining "man, I hate having a thumb up my butt."

sananda
Dec 29, 2007, 02:56 PM
You might be thinking of EMS, which is an enhanced version of SMS which supported small icons and such.. this was even worse than MMS. I think you'll find you're not alone in not sending MMS messages. a lot of people dont. and that is the point for not including it.

is this a regional thing? because i've heard (only anecdotally though) that they are a big thing here (uk).

bennifer3000
Dec 29, 2007, 02:58 PM
I hope that it's true. And nimbuscloud, I appreciate your post. I'm apart of a forum for a band that is finally in the process of releasing their CD and you wouldn't believe the complaining that goes on there.

sananda
Dec 29, 2007, 02:58 PM
How about sitting back, shutting up, and accepting what you have for a change.

sorry nimbuscloud, i'll shut up now. although if everyone else does the forum will become redundant.

philgilder
Dec 29, 2007, 02:59 PM
im in england and personally ive sent 2 (yes, thats the actual total) MMS messages
and never received one
i know of no one that uses mms at all really

below
Dec 29, 2007, 03:00 PM
The last iPhone 1.1.3 rumor on here was obviously false, so it is no surprise this one -- from a site that has absolutely no record on iPhone or Mac rumors as far as I can tell -- is scrutinized.

50/50. iPhone screenshots are easily faked.

Alex

Manic Mouse
Dec 29, 2007, 03:01 PM
Every dollar that Apple gets from you, they put say 10 cents into a fund for warranty repairs, support, bugfixes etc. So Apple counts only 90 cents as revenue. Once enough time has gone, Apple can check how much of the ten cents was actually spent, and add the rest to the revenues.

The 801n upgrade introduced a new hardware feature that wasn't there before. It turned a slow WiFi connection into a fast one. So this couldn't be paid out of the fund for warranty repairs, support and bugfixes. Apple should have put another two cents of each dollar into a fund for "free improvements to hardware", and count only 88 cents of each dollar as revenues, and they didn't. If Apple had shipped Macs that were supposed to have 801n, and if it was broken because of a firmware bug, then they would have been allowed to fix it for free, taking the money out of the "repairs" fund.

With the iPhone, when you pay $399, Apple counts $16.625 every month as revenues for the next 24 months, so they have the right to make any improvements they want.

Basically, because Enron sold millions of dollars worth of oil to its subsidiaries (without actually delivering anything, but it made things look good on the paper), Apple wasn't allowed to give you better WiFi for free.

Thanks for the explanation but...

How is it any different than 360 updates? The 360 didn't play .avi files when I bought it, MS rolled out a free update a month ago that means it now does. Adding an unadvertised feature via firmware update for free is exactly what MS did without any trouble...

AppleFanboy33
Dec 29, 2007, 03:01 PM
is this a regional thing? because i've heard (only anecdotally though) that they are a big thing here (uk).

I think MMS is bigger in the UK and Europe, than in the US or in Asian markets. And certainly as the years have gone on since around 2005 when it started getting traction on devices it's got more usage from users. But i think this is only due to the fact operators have now got the phones setup out of the box. a few years back, MMS required complex settings made by the user to get it running. And only in the last year and a half have these been made in the factory by default. Allowing users to actually use the MMS capibility.

Email, has had the same problem with setting up as MMS did, so certainly it'll be a while before email is used in a bigger way. But at least with email the capacity for growth is there. where as MMS which is only now started being used will be insufficient for most people new multi megapixel images today's devices are capturing.

Bickity
Dec 29, 2007, 03:02 PM
Hate to burst everyones bubble, but these are fake. One quick look in Photoshop and a look through the channels shows they have been altered. See attached image and you can see the difference of pixels in the Blue channel. The Gear Live icon is all pixelated in the black area compared to the rest. A box can be seen where they copied and moved the image.

Wish it was true, but Steve probably has something else up his sleeve.

CubeHacker
Dec 29, 2007, 03:11 PM

I really, really doubt we are going to see any form of video recording in the current iPhone. Hell, probably not even in the 3G iPhone.

Keep in mind, Apple needs new features to bring to the iPhone market everytime they come out with a near, yearly version. My guess is that one of these "features" will be high quality VGA (640x480) @ 30fps video recording that can be instantly uploaded to youtube or something similar, and when you dock to your mac it'll automatically be imported into iMovie for editing. Hell, maybe even iMovie will be built into the iPhone for on the fly editing. They'll most likely add a good quality 3-5mp camera too. It'll probably be nicknamed the 'iPhone Vision' or something like that.

ghall
Dec 29, 2007, 03:12 PM

Then you will have no problem maybe uploading a video to prove it. I'd like to believe your images are real but having been keeping tabs on Apple rumors for close to 2 years, I've learned to be rather skeptical.

buymeaniphone
Dec 29, 2007, 03:19 PM
I really hope this is true, none of the updates for the iPhone so far have impressed me much. Couldn't they have shot a video and posted that on their website? No one believes pictures anymore, everyone is a photoshop expert these days.

cameronjpu
Dec 29, 2007, 03:28 PM
I would love to get the iPhone as my carry all media, web browsing device but Steve's fatal mistake of signing on with a mediocre cell company with missing plan features is making it hard for me and a few others to justify the iPhone.

"Fatal" mistake?

You place the importance of a single sale to you a little too highly, I think.

sectime
Dec 29, 2007, 03:33 PM
"Fatal" mistake?

Well he does identify three others, so that is $1600 in phones :D

kcmac
Dec 29, 2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for replying to my post. I respect your opinion, but I have to say that you need to calm down and chill out and RE-READ my post because it was not a rant. I'm just simply stating how companies approach product mapping.

What evidence, do I have to support any of what I'm saying? The question should be "what evidence DO I not HAVE?... or better yet, does anyone NOT HAVE." It's common sense Virgil, just look around at any product line that is released in generations like the Xbox, Playstation, Cars, Televisions, Video Games themselves (software not the consoles).

Companies map out what features they can offer with a given product and decided on what pace they introduce them throughout the lifespan of that product- its' common business sense and common consumer sense and Fact.

No company, with half a brain for business sense, releases a product with maxed out capabilities and then RESEARCH to see where they can improve it. No. They always know how far they can go with a product before they release it then they release the product and leave room for improvement so that they can make sure you feel a justified reason to purchase the next edition of that product. This is not a guessing game for power companies like Apple. These things are mapped out. New Features have been added to Leopard that could have been in Tiger. New features are in Flash CS3 that could have been in Flash 8- But that's just how CAPITALISM works.

Halo 2 could have supported online Campaign etc., but they waited to implement it in Halo 3. The 2008 Accord finally has iPod inputs when they could have done it a few years ago..... the list goes on.

There are two sides of the ball to play here: The consumer side, and the Business side. I 'm just explaining both. How things happen from the business side, and how consumers are effected by it (loving or fed up with it).

This is not about picking on Apple, dude, I stated they are a kick ass company go back and re-read. We're just stating the facts. My PPC 6600 which is 2 years old had features the iPhone does not have STOCK and I love my iPhone, but the truth is just the truth. Many people have adopted this "it's revolutionary so we'll over look some little things" mindset, but not everyone has adopted this mindset. You can't run from the the truth that people are paying $400 or $500 for an iPhone and are missing basic features like multiple text forwarding at LAUNCH. It is what it is Virgil. Every company drops the ball every now and again, but it does not me that we think Apple is horrible. here's a news flash, people are allowed to openly criticize companies they support- that's how the companies we love GET IMPROVE (because of these forums).

I'm sorry to burst your bubble and introduce you to a RADICAL way of thinking but that's how companies will always do it. Put yourself in there shoes. If you released a product with every single feature you can think of included in the first generation of that product, why would your target market want to purchase your next edition within 18 months time? Technology doesn't change that fast. Your sales will plummet! Yes, you can REDESIGN IT, but you have to come up with more than cosmetic changes, and TWEAKS (that's what pisses people off about some of the smartphones, they are nicely redesigned by how are they different from one model to the next? that' s why I did not buy the Mogul because I felt like my PPC 6700 was not that far behind lol).

Peace
So you're saying that Apple knew that the iPod would be what it is today but instead chose to make the first generation the way they did and falling just short of the features in the other players?

I bet they were just thinking at the time it would be great if they could capture some of the market.

And I doubt today that they know what the iPhone will be like in 5 years or what else it will create or affect. I think they just look at an expanding market, think we can do better and it would be great (lucrative) if we capture some of the market.

I don't think Apple is thinking, we will just put out a phone (or anything for that matter) that almost gives people the features they are used to and in a few years catch up to those features. Haha. That's funny. :)

pomus
Dec 29, 2007, 03:44 PM
What does eliminating MMS accomplish? To me nothing but confusion, because Apple never gave an official word why.

I honestly think that Apple is trying to avoid confusion by leaving out MMS. SMS is there for those that love tho chat quick and on the fly. I believe that email is a far better way to send stuff like pics, which you could already do very efficiently with the iPhone.

cameronjpu
Dec 29, 2007, 03:45 PM

No, Apple is avoiding it by recognizing the SALE price of the iPhone over 24 months. $400/24 every month for 2 years. The income from ATT is recognized as it is earned (monthly as well) and has nothing to do with the whole legal issue with the updates.

plumbingandtech
Dec 29, 2007, 03:45 PM
Well he does identify three others, so that is $1600 in phones :D

And I have convinced a dozen people who don't give a wit about MMS or some other esoteric feature that is "fatal" to some.

+ 9

:D

Cleverboy
Dec 29, 2007, 03:49 PM
Hate to burst everyones bubble, but these are fake. One quick look in Photoshop and a look through the channels shows they have been altered. See attached image and you can see the difference of pixels in the Blue channel. The Gear Live icon is all pixelated in the black area compared to the rest. A box can be seen where they copied and moved the image.

Wish it was true, but Steve probably has something else up his sleeve. :: Smirk :: I see a slight problem in what you're doing there. While these pictures may indeed be REAL, they may ALSO be modified to promote the website. Hate to burst YOUR bubble but you've proved very little. Moreover... just have fun with it until the official announcement. I sware, somedays its easier to prove an anthropological scholar isn't a 14,000 year old caveman than to disprove an Apple rumor based on screenshots.

~ CB

mikes63737
Dec 29, 2007, 03:50 PM

They do.

10digitnumber@txt.att.net

Digital Skunk
Dec 29, 2007, 03:51 PM
"Fatal" mistake?

I will agree with you that one, but in today's tech world much of the devices are and services are the same, leaving only a small amount of differences to choose from and to base a decision on.

When you slice reality really thin, the only thing seperating much of the devices are the company that makes them, the service provided with them if any, and the one or two gimmicky features that one has over the other.

For many, the lack of 3G, Flash, MMS, phone as modem, etc. made the decision to not go with the iPhone. For me, it's the lack of insurance on AT&T's network and phone as modem, and if the phone had those two features it would have been a lot easier to consider it as an option.

macduke
Dec 29, 2007, 03:51 PM

Wish it was true, but Steve probably has something else up his sleeve.

I'm a graphics designer and photographer. Seeing your channels analysis does make me believe that these are fake, but as a photographer the narrow depth of field used in low light with a macro lens looks very real. I'm on my sister's laptop, and she doesn't have photoshop, but I'll check out the images later and see if I can find any other discrepancies. I hope these aren't fake, but the reality of this update is rather believable. Nothing too crazy. Here's to hoping.

TheSpaz
Dec 29, 2007, 04:01 PM
Why would they make changes that are this big without updating the version number to something like 1.2? Usually when Apple introduces big features in a software version, they usually up the version number significantly higher than the previous so that it stands out more than just a little tiny .x.x update.

cameronjpu
Dec 29, 2007, 04:01 PM

Two totally unrelated items. "Pretty clear indication"? Nope. Meaningless.

cameronjpu
Dec 29, 2007, 04:02 PM

Anything you and 10 of your most distant acquaintances want will be doable once the SDK is out in two months.

kb152
Dec 29, 2007, 04:05 PM
Why would they make changes that are this big without updating the version number to something like 1.2? Usually when Apple introduces big features in a software version, they usually up the version number significantly higher than the previous so that it stands out more than just a little tiny .x.x update.

Safe to say, a lot of people are wondering the same thing. Might be a good question for the person who took the photos. He posted his email address a few pages back. Maybe he will include that in his follow up post.

mattvolp
Dec 29, 2007, 04:07 PM
I'm a graphics designer and photographer. Seeing your channels analysis does make me believe that these are fake, but as a photographer the narrow depth of field used in low light with a macro lens looks very real. I'm on my sister's laptop, and she doesn't have photoshop, but I'll check out the images later and see if I can find any other discrepancies. I hope these aren't fake, but the reality of this update is rather believable. Nothing too crazy. Here's to hoping.

This is getting way too in depth. I'm just going to wait it out and play it by ear.

Maybe we should do a polygraph test too?