Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris Grande

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Story: http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/q407-iphone-113-firmware-feature-gallery/
Direct to pictures: http://www.gearlive.com/gallery/category/C51

From the site:
The ability to send an SMS message to multiple people is now there
Google Maps application can now pinpoint your location using cell tower triangulation
Google Maps can now display the Hybrid map view
You can now drag and drop application icons on your home screen
The home screen supports pagination
You can now add web bookmarks to your home screen

My take:
Page Curl effect on the map page is a nice touch.
Triangulation, nice.
Home page options, very good.
Multiple people SMS good but still no MMS... on a 399 phone. :(
No info on notification frequency or length options.
No new apps.... :(
But still good for a X.X.1 update, hope this isn't the big MacWorld reveal...:rolleyes:

discuss....

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
"Until it starts to wiggle."

I fully expect this to be a feature of Mac OS X 10.6. "To move your icons, just click and hold until they begin to wiggle." That said, I don't believe any screenshots because of how easy it is to manipulate a jailbroken phone. But I think the manipulation of home screen is a given with third-party apps on the horizon.

I want an Apple-provided solution to a wallpaper on my home screen, so I'm not using something on par with ShapeShifter.

subwarm

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2003
Westchester, NY
Interesting feature set if true! It would say a lot about Apple's willingness to let iPhone users customize their phones to their liking (ie the customizable home screen). Plus, a rearrangeable home screen would certainly be a logical step towards the SDK release as well. Thanks for passing this along.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I wouldn't be surprised either way. ...If these features are for real, I wonder if they'll be available for the iPod Touch as well.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I am at 1.1.1 and this...this will have me upgrade immediately. Bravo if this is shopped!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
iPhone 1.1.3 Features and Screenshots?

GearLive claims to have played with the upcoming iPhone 1.1.3 firmware update and reveals a number of new features to be included to the latest version of the iPhone's software.

113_300.jpg

Dragging the Mail icon

The new features are shown in a screenshot gallery. Amongst the new features depicted:

- Edit Home Screen - Rearrange icons on your home screen
- Drag icons around with your finger
- Locate Me integration (pseudo-GPS) with Google Maps
- Another screenshot of Locate Me
- Send SMS to multiple people
- Add Safari Bookmarks to your Home Screen (example)

The features shown do not correlate with some earlier rumors of the 1.1.3 firmware. GearLive has not previously been a source of accurate rumors or images on Apple products, previously spreading mockups of iPod nanos. These new screenshots, however, appear convincing on casual inspection.

Article Link

Attachments

• bookmark.jpg
    bookmark.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 25,155
  • maps.jpg
    maps.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 26,302

p8ntballguy

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2006
WOW, If all that is in there, ill immediately, and happily upgrade, even if it means losing installer.app, i don't care. Those are some necessary features that should have been there a ling time ago.......

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
The thing that baffles me about Apple's approach to iPhone updates is that many of these tweaks and changes are seemingly simple, conceptually speaking. Multiple text recipients shouldn't have taken this long. I'm not complaining, I just don't see why they're drawing it all out so much.

I suppose it could be simply an intentional tactic of Apple. This seems to be the most likely situation, as Apple, as a corporation and business, would have certain things to gain from small periodic updates instead of a couple large ones that addressed tons of issues.

Again, I've really enjoyed my iPhone, but adding media texting and multiple text recipients are among a handful of things that would improve user experience without some earth-shattering change or epic difficulty on the part of the programmers working on the iPhone updates. Corporate tactics aside, it seems that this should have been a quick, easy change within the first couple of months.

At any rate, let's be thankful that Apple keeps the updates rolling out and has paid attention to us iPhone owners. :)

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Looks pretty sweet. Nothing like off the hook awesome, but some really cool stuff. Custom springboard and multiple home screen and being able to allow bookmarks on home screen! Im impressed. Any rumor as to a release date?

iDudeMan

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
i heard that i'm gonna have to buy ichat from itunes when it comes out.

serious?

i'd kill myself...

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Oh god, I hope this is true! Not a huge selection of features, but it's some basic functionality I would have expected from the beginning. :rolleyes:

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
This is beginning to look great! I've never jailbroken or futzed around with my iPhone, so my own arrangement of icons will be new for me!

These features, along with native third-party apps in a couple months, will keep me very pleased with my 6-month old iPhone (as of later today!). But I'll be looking to upgrade to new/updated hardware in about 6 more months.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
looks fake to me. the depth of focus in some shots drops off way too quickly. especially the "add bookmark to home screen" pic. the top of the screen is slightly fuzzy and the add bookmark buttons are crystal clear. also look at the "edit home screen" shot... the dialog box is not centered over the icons.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
This is great, especially with the sending SMS to multiple people. I just want video recording. Pretty please, Apple. Pretty please with a cherry on top!

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
looks fake to me. the depth of focus in some shots drops off way too quickly. especially the "add bookmark to home screen" pic. the top of the screen is slightly fuzzy and the add bookmark buttons are crystal clear. also look at the "edit home screen" shot... the dialog box is not centered over the icons.

I'm far from an expert, but they look pretty convincing to me. Mostly because the ground has been softened up by earlier rumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.