PDA

View Full Version : FYI - If your iPod takes FOREVER to sync.

TheSpaz
Dec 29, 2007, 09:51 AM
Delete the files from the following folder and reconnect your iPod.

~/Libary/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/TheNameOfYouriPod/

Don't delete your iPod's folder... delete the files that are inside it.

I was going crazy trying to figure this out because my iPod would just sit there and say it was syncing for a long time and if I tried to cancel the sync, iTunes would freeze and go nowhere. So I found this hint in an Apple thread and I decided to save some people the trouble and so that they don't think they need to bring their iPods back to the store.

Note: This also works on iPhones.

rdowns
Dec 29, 2007, 09:53 AM
Bet you were glad to find out the reason wasn't your screen name. :D

Thanks for the hint. My nano takes forever and I will try this. Other iPod and iPhone are fine.

dagored
Dec 29, 2007, 10:45 AM
Spaz,

You da man. I wasn't having problems, but I deleted and it definitely increased sync speed.

solyd
Dec 29, 2007, 06:16 PM
Just wait until all of the Windows users come after you wanting the same magic to work on Vista...

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\iPodName\

rev316
Dec 29, 2007, 11:15 PM
I'd like to confirm this hint, works like a charm.

Bowlerguy10
Dec 29, 2007, 11:21 PM
How about for XP?

TheSpaz
Dec 29, 2007, 11:24 PM
You ruin my fun. Oh well, at least Windoze gets another good feature. So how many good features on Vista now? 3? Must all be made by Apple. :)

Hahahahahaha!

The 3 Best features of Windows Vista:

iTunes
Safari
QuickTime

solyd
Dec 29, 2007, 11:28 PM
Hahahahahaha!

iTunes
Safari
QuickTime

I hate all three of them...

albinoAZN
Dec 30, 2007, 12:11 AM
I hate quicktime. Safari and iTunes are good for me tho.

sunshine2003
May 16, 2010, 08:03 AM
Where do i find

~/Libary/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/TheNameOfYouriPod/?

Cant find the folders , i got windows xp

dXTC
May 16, 2010, 10:36 AM
sunshine2003: See solyd's first post (#5) in this thread.

Edit: Oh wait, that's for Vista. I'll see if I can find it on my XP machine...

calsci
May 16, 2010, 03:10 PM
thank you so much. it improved my sync time dramatically.

WG5516
Jun 6, 2010, 07:06 PM
WOW, this works! Thanks!!!

00marks
Jun 8, 2010, 03:49 AM
Where do i find

~/Libary/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/TheNameOfYouriPod/?

Cant find the folders , i got windows xp

For XP it would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\iPodName\

akrocker29
Jun 9, 2010, 01:24 PM
Ok, I have Vista and I can't find library. What's it located under?

akrocker29
Jun 9, 2010, 04:18 PM
I take that back. I was able to find Logs, but there is no CrashReporter....:confused:

akrocker29
Jun 12, 2010, 03:07 AM
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\iPodName\
Tried this. Didn't work. App Data on is missing...

dansufc
Jun 13, 2010, 06:26 PM
Tried this. Didn't work. App Data on is missing...

you need to change your folder options so that it shows hidden folders, if you have vista, click organise, folder and search options, view tab, then in the box, select it so you can view hidden folders, then ok, jobs a good un!

Upperton10
Aug 29, 2010, 04:00 PM
Can you please tell me this info for Windows 7? I've been looking, and can't find it. Thanks.

Code.Red
Aug 29, 2010, 05:11 PM
For Windows 7, open the Start menu, type %appdata% into the search box (including the %s), and press enter. That will bring you to AppData\Roaming.

Corndog5595
Aug 29, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hahahahahaha!

iTunes
Safari
QuickTime

They are all clunky and badly coded.

Safari is alright but iTunes and Quicktime are absolutely useless on Windows.

RockRacer
Nov 4, 2010, 03:23 PM
I am a newbie to Apple products. I may need to start a new thread with everything that is going on with my 6G Ipod Classic, but I thought I would try a few things first.

I found my Library, and then Logs in my Macbook's Harddrive, but I can't find the next step, "CrashReporter". I see "HangReporter"? I have tried having the Ipod mounted, and unmounted. I don't see a difference there. Does that matter?

Basically every time I plug in my Ipod it now says corrupted and makes me restore. Prior to that message, and still after the message, it will fly through syncing 2,000 songs, then take like 30 minutes per song after that, eventually ending in an unknown error message. Any ideas?

RockRacer
Nov 6, 2010, 12:39 AM
I am a newbie to Apple products. I may need to start a new thread with everything that is going on with my 6G Ipod Classic, but I thought I would try a few things first.

I found my Library, and then Logs in my Macbook's Harddrive, but I can't find the next step, "CrashReporter". I see "HangReporter"? I have tried having the Ipod mounted, and unmounted. I don't see a difference there. Does that matter?

Basically every time I plug in my Ipod it now says corrupted and makes me restore. Prior to that message, and still after the message, it will fly through syncing 2,000 songs, then take like 30 minutes per song after that, eventually ending in an unknown error message. Any ideas?

Nobody? I am the only one who has had these problems? I would really like to start using my "new" ipod. Yes, I got it used.

lostshadow
Nov 24, 2010, 01:42 AM
Delete the files from the following folder and reconnect your iPod.

~/Libary/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/TheNameOfYouriPod/

Don't delete your iPod's folder... delete the files that are inside it.

I was going crazy trying to figure this out because my iPod would just sit there and say it was syncing for a long time and if I tried to cancel the sync, iTunes would freeze and go nowhere. So I found this hint in an Apple thread and I decided to save some people the trouble and so that they don't think they need to bring their iPods back to the store.

Note: This also works on iPhones.

Works like a charm. Makes me wonder why Apple didn't get iTunes to clean up after itself on its own... Thanks for the tip, saved my day!

RockRacer
Nov 25, 2010, 08:50 PM
BTW, sorry for mucking up the thread. I took my ipod classic into the Apple store where they told me the hard drive is going out.

emilysmithxo
Dec 19, 2010, 01:36 AM
I got to "CrashReporter" but there is nothing inside this folder.
Where do I go from here? I haven't been able to back up my iPhone in a long time.

pizzmoe
Apr 7, 2011, 11:06 AM
I have Windows 7. I get as far as Logs, but there is no crash reporter or anything after that. Any ideas as to why?
Thanks!

johnnyboy360
Apr 9, 2011, 02:58 PM
Just done this and I had 258 files :/ Lol should be tonnes quicker now! Thanks for the tip!

Al from NY
Apr 21, 2011, 02:24 PM
This worked. All of the folders were there in Vista. Just make sure you know which user folder to go to. I had a few. Sync took less than a minute once I emptied the last folder.

Christopher82
Jun 2, 2011, 12:49 PM

Ok, So, i'm running vista. I get to C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Log

and there is no crash reporter, mobiledevice, or the name of my ipod.

I'v set it to show hidden folders and still nothing. What do i do here? My sync time is just ridiculous.

sugarbear
Jul 2, 2011, 07:49 PM
People are still running Vista??

DelaBella
Jul 13, 2011, 02:42 AM
i tried it and it didnt work... over an hour later and nothin... what do i do now?

pics1301
Aug 21, 2011, 02:44 PM
I have an 80GB classic ipod and windows vista, it's taking forever to sync songs onto my ipod, I have not got a clue how to fix this or where to go to on my computer or in itunes to do so, can somebody please give me accurate step by step instructions in how to fix this problem? I have looked at some of the solutions that have been posted but I cannot locate anything that has been suggested, do I search in my documents? This is getting more and more frustrating by the minute, your help would be much appreciated, Thanks :)

Mikebike125
Aug 22, 2011, 09:17 PM
What about the "Log" files? I have a lot of LowMemory log files. Can they be deleted also?

jbernie
Aug 22, 2011, 10:41 PM
What about the "Log" files? I have a lot of LowMemory log files. Can they be deleted also?

You could create a new subfolder under MobileDevice, say youripodname.backup, and then copy any existing file to the new folder so that if you have any issues you have all files quickly available to put back into the directory. You could delete & then undelete from the recycle bin but it is just easier to put them in a known location by themselves so you don't need to dig through stuff.

User592
Aug 29, 2011, 11:46 PM
Where do i find that folder to delete what is in it ?

Thetonyk123
Aug 30, 2011, 07:36 AM
wow mine takes about a minute to back up and a minute to sync how does it take that long?

just-being-me
Sep 27, 2011, 11:11 AM
[/COLOR]wow mine takes about a minute to back up and a minute to sync how does it take that long?

no idea just be thankful its that quick
some people arent that lucky (take me for instance
(sorry if i was of no help)

just-being-me
Sep 27, 2011, 11:23 AM
For Windows 7, open the Start menu, type %appdata% into the search box (including the %s), and press enter. That will bring you to AppData\Roaming.

I.LOVE.YOU. and also the person who started this thread you just saved me another 12+ waiting for my ipod to backup and now its moving WAYYY faster even though its still abit slow turns out i have over 300 files in that folder so thanks for sharing the info!!! :D <3

uhh okay maybe scratch what i said above, it go faster but for like 5mins. if this doesnt work does that mean my ipod is retarted?

just-being-me
Sep 27, 2011, 03:41 PM
umm... so got REAALLLLYYY FRUSTRATED when i found out this method doesnt work, so i went and looked at all the other folders in Apple Computer and i found out i had like 3,763 items on my backup is that whats dragging down the speed of backup?

danielufrj
Nov 2, 2011, 08:53 AM
Still taking a life time to sync. Basically every day, if it works. Thanks anyway.

StephenBubbles
Nov 17, 2011, 12:51 PM

When I type this it does bring up the roaming folder, but then what do you do? I'm guessing I go to Apple COmputer, and Logs but in my Logs folder they was only 4 text documents dated today.

I've only had my ipod classic for two weeks and this only happned today for the first time, it's very annoying.

SOmeone please help!!

jjjjsmn
Dec 2, 2011, 03:15 PM
my boyfriend's ipod is having this same problem.

but i should also give some background info.
his ipod used to work fine until a friend of his used it to pull songs off of the iPod and onto his iTunes/iPhone. he used a third party app, and without the knowledge of my boyfriend.
after that his iPod would freeze iTunes and would not sync properly, getting stuck after about 150 songs.

it was originally synced to iTunes on his dad's laptop running windows vista.

i tried to find the crash logs, but when i got to AppData, i couldn't find a folder for Logs.

i tried fixing the problem by syncing his iPod to my macbook, but while i could find the Crash Reporter folder, inside Mobile Device only my iPod was listed.
his iPod was synced to my iTunes at the time i tried to find his crash logs.

help please?

thgem72
Dec 14, 2011, 06:34 PM
I'm running Windows 7 on a MacBook Pro and did the following:

1) Went to "Computer" under start.
2) Selected "Organize" at upper left. Went to "Folder and Search Options" then checked off "show hidden files..." under the "View" tab.
3) Went here (as indicated above): Users/user name/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/ipod name/
4) Deleted everything under that folder and within the two subfolders titled "Baseband" and "Retired".
5) Restarted, opened iTunes and commenced a sync without ANY trouble.

kathychrz
May 11, 2013, 03:00 PM
I've gotten to logs but there is no crashreporter file. Theres 4 text documents, but nothing else. And "show hidden folders" is checked.

kathychrz
May 11, 2013, 03:14 PM

When I type this it does bring up the roaming folder, but then what do you do? I'm guessing I go to Apple COmputer, and Logs but in my Logs folder they was only 4 text documents dated today.

I've only had my ipod classic for two weeks and this only happned today for the first time, it's very annoying.

SOmeone please help!!

This exact thing is happening to me!!! What did you do to fix it?

Troneas
May 11, 2013, 04:24 PM
does onyx clean these logs too?