Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 31, 2006
London Town
Hey guys,

Currently all of my iTunes library is in 192kbs ripped directly from the CD. However, in the next few weeks I'm thinking about buying a iPhone or iTouch and will be concerned with getting as much onto the device as possible, so I'm considering converting my library down to 128kbs.

I want to do this by using the "Convert to AAC..." function in iTunes on the 192kbs file to create a 128kbs version of it. Will this result in a worse sounding file than if I created the 128kbs from the original CD source? I know that converting between formats (i.e. from MP3 to AAC) is worse than ripping direct from the CD, but is this also the case with converting within the format? I'm not audiophile (obviously) and, in all honestly, my ears are a bit naff I think.

Also, if anyone has any tips on an easy way to do this then that'd be appreciated :)

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Anyone actually know the answer to the question? :confused:

Yes the the resulting file will be worse quality than if you had ripped it directly from the CD.

AAC is a lossy format so using your method you go from CD -> 192kbs AAC (you lose quality here) then -> 128kbs AAC (losing quality again).

If you rip from the CD you only go through one lossy stage.

ZenErik

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Massachusetts
Don't do it. When I download music, I leave it as is because it's usually already in a loss format. I rip from CDs as as high a quality as I can. I used to download tons of music and convert it all to lower bitrates, but after narrowing down my collection to about 9000 from 30k+, I have no need for that. And the sound quality is better because of it.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I wouldn't do it. Ok I'm pretty demanding when it comes to sound (I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile, more of a musician) and converting from 192 to 128 will result in very poor sound, much worse than 128...

Personally, 192 is the least I would want to listen to...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.