Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkachurak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, FL
Crazy thought.

Once I buy my new Mini, I'm planning on cracking in to it to upgrade the HD and RAM straight away.

But then I thought, will the Superdrive I currently have in my 12" Powerbook G4 Aluminum work in the Mini?

It would save me some $$$ if I could buy the 1.83ghz and go without the Superdrive and then just swap optical drives between the two machines.

Will this work?

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Crazy thought.

Once I buy my new Mini, I'm planning on cracking in to it to upgrade the HD and RAM straight away.

But then I thought, will the Superdrive I currently have in my 12" Powerbook G4 Aluminum work in the Mini?

It would save me some $$$ if I could buy the 1.83ghz and go without the Superdrive and then just swap optical drives between the two machines.

Will this work?

the drive in the powerbook is much smaller then the mac mini

kkachurak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, FL
Actually, since the Mac Mini and the Powerbook G4 12 inch are built using laptop parts and technology, I feel almost confident that the two optical drives are similar in physical size.

Infact, when I cracked into my Powerbook G4 12", I poked around and the optical drives for sale on the Internet for the Mac Mini look almost identical to the drive I saw in my powerbook.

I guess what I'm really getting at is, is their a difference in the interface?

I know that my Powerbook G4 uses ATA technology to interface with the HD and the Intel Mac Mini uses SATA. Same thing with the optical drives?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.