PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 1.1.3 to Include Copy/Paste?

MacRumors
Jan 2, 2008, 08:18 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

According to MacScoop (http://www.macscoop.com/articles/2008/01/02/iphone-software-update-allow-copy-paste), the recent iPhone 1.1.3 firmware leak (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/30/more-leaked-iphone-1-1-3-firmware-details-evidence-and-videos/) is an incomplete and unpolished version of the upcoming iPhone update -- and may still contain a few surprises when it is finally released.

According to the rumor site, Apple intends to include copy/paste functionality into the final version of the 1.1.3 update. No details on how copy/paste would be implemented, or when the 1.1.3 update is expected. MacScoop has provided some rumor tidbits over the years, and was one of the first sites to predict the coming of the new ultra-portable Apple laptop.

Copy and Paste has been a much requested feature that is absent in the current version of the iPhone. The desire has even prompted a mockup video (http://lonelysandwich.com/post/8057215) demonstrating how Apple might incorporate multi-touch Copy/Paste functionality into the iPhone.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/02/iphone-1-1-3-to-include-copy-paste/)

twoodcc
Jan 2, 2008, 08:22 PM
this would be great, and seems logical to put in the update. maybe we'll see video capture as well?

LeeTom
Jan 2, 2008, 08:23 PM
Hopefully MMS too! So surprising that it hasn't been incorporated already!

GFLPraxis
The proof of concept idea seems very functional but too many steps for average users to remember. I'd use it though :) Hope something Apple comes up with something similar or perhaps even more elegant, as they always do.

GoCubsGo
This would be nice and if 1.1.3 includes even half the features people have been bitching about (and jailbreaking over) I would assume this would put an end to many people feeling the need to JB their phones. I wouldn't have done it had that been the case.

evilyankeefan
Hip Hip Hooray!!

Benjamindaines
Something tells me we're all going to be very disappointed with this update...

Frisco
Jan 2, 2008, 08:25 PM
Now only if they can get OS X to "Cut and Paste" :rolleyes:

plumbingandtech
Jan 2, 2008, 08:26 PM
I copy and paste 100000x a day.

No problems here.

ben5959
Jan 2, 2008, 08:27 PM
Let the record show that I'm calling BS right now. I would like to eat my words, but I doubt I will

mrrydogg
Jan 2, 2008, 08:28 PM
If it is really to include copy and paste, google maps upgrade with cell triangulation, SMS and/or MMS AND the ability to create/edit icons, to just name a few.....wouldn't it be more than just 1.1.3???

I think it would.

Heck, since I have been using Leopard for a little while, I would love it just to sync correctly (including notes and to-do lists) like they promised.

sminman
Jan 2, 2008, 08:30 PM
I really want a video camera function on my iPhone and then have the ability to upload to You Tube on the go.

That would be awesome!!

Is it even possible for the iPhone to have a video camera feature? Does it have the hardware?

plumbingandtech
Jan 2, 2008, 08:33 PM
Is it even possible for the iPhone to have a video camera feature? Does it have the hardware?

Yep. An app should it could be done for 45 secs a pop.

I am pretty sure the chip or one of the chips inside it also is a video compressor among other things.

firstapple
Jan 2, 2008, 08:35 PM
Video Camera Feature possible? Yea, I remember seeing a thrid party app that showed proof that video was possible.

I am sure apple will hook us up soon, maybe not with all these features, though wouldn't it make sense? That way anyone that hacked their phone would think about not doing it anymore since apple is getting ready to release its SDK in two months...

megfilmworks
Jan 2, 2008, 08:44 PM
I think earlier posters, who suggested that the 1.1.3 was an incomplete version to be replaced by 1.2 with quite a few surprising features, were on the right track.
As far as MMS, not sure why we need the ability to send lo-fi files with messages when we can send higher resolution attachments with email.
The only time I would need it is when a friend with an older phone (no email attachments) can only send me his lo res phone camera photo via ancient MMS.

Low
Jan 2, 2008, 08:44 PM
omfg there is a god!!

yoman
Jan 2, 2008, 08:45 PM
Even though I am skeptical...I still am hopeful.. I really would like copy and paste.

montana
Jan 2, 2008, 08:46 PM
Besides the obvious things like this, I would love to be able to save photos from websites to my iPhone.

yoman
Jan 2, 2008, 08:47 PM
No details on how copy/paste would be implemented, or when the 1.1.3 update is expected.

The article clearly states that the update will happen at Macworld.

Apple will release an iPhone software update during MacWorld Expo 2008, well informed sources confirmed MacScoop.

galstaph
Jan 2, 2008, 08:48 PM
good if true... bout time

mattvolp
Jan 2, 2008, 08:49 PM
Finally, I have been waiting on this for what seems like forever!

isalex
Jan 2, 2008, 08:49 PM
man i hope so... **crossing fingers** :D

MarkW19
Jan 2, 2008, 08:50 PM
This would be awesome. I sorely missed this feature about 10 mins ago when I wanted to delete a couple of paragraphs when replying to a long email, and had to delete each word one by one!!

rush0
The thing is, how would copy and paste work when copying text from like a webpage, being that the text isn't selectable after safari renders a webpage?

bbplayer5
Give me ichat and i promise i wont hack my phone again Steve!

InkMaster
Jan 2, 2008, 08:51 PM
I copy and paste 100000x a day.

No problems here.

oh? is there something we don't know about?

CWallace
Jan 2, 2008, 08:52 PM
If it is really to include copy and paste, google maps upgrade with cell triangulation, SMS and/or MMS AND the ability to create/edit icons, to just name a few.....wouldn't it be more than just 1.1.3?

I think it would.

Perhaps Apple is moving forward features planned for 1.2.0 but ready now to make 1.1.3 a more compelling update announcement at MacWorld.

ravenvii
Jan 2, 2008, 08:56 PM
Something tells me we're all going to be very disappointed with this update...

Yeah, that something told me the same.

Get ready for another wave of whiners come 1.1.3.

docprego
Jan 2, 2008, 08:57 PM
I think earlier posters, who suggested that the 1.1.3 was an incomplete version to be replaced by 1.2 with quite a few surprising features, were on the right track.

I agree with this. I am surprised by the abosulte lack of reaction on Apple's part to this leak. It makes me think it is not much of a leak at all. Yes it is probably representative of features that are on the way, but I would be shocked if it were released in the form we have seen.

DMann
Jan 2, 2008, 09:01 PM
This would be nice and if 1.1.3 includes even half the features people have been bitching about (and jailbreaking over) I would assume this would put an end to many people feeling the need to JB their phones. I wouldn't have done it had that been the case.

This single feature alone would keep me from jail breaking....

coolbreeze
Jan 2, 2008, 09:06 PM
OMG what a revolutionary feature! Cutting edge! :rolleyes:

Seriously. For the sake of 1999, I hope this is true. Unbelievable oversight.

Aries326
Jan 2, 2008, 09:08 PM
Here's what I want which we will probably get:

True MMS
Multiple Recipients
Cut and Paste
Video Recording
Audio Recording
SDK

What I see in the future for the iPhone: Video conferencing with a front mounted cam on the iphone with 3G

I just got this phone for Christmas and I've been itching to jailbreak it so I can get all the cool apps now. But with all the exciting news I've been reading, I'm going to wait for the new up date.

Envykev
Jan 2, 2008, 09:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

hmmmm would be nice to have. We'll see though.

domination
Jan 2, 2008, 09:22 PM
what about flash, any word on that?

Bosunsfate
Jan 2, 2008, 09:25 PM
I'd love this feature, but it has to be a solid implementation. The mock up video was a good start, but if that was it I'd be unhappy.

uNext
Jan 2, 2008, 09:26 PM
This will just rock on the iphone
COME ON APPLE BRING ON THE COPY AND PASTE....

angelodmhl
Jan 2, 2008, 09:26 PM
LOL @ video: "Thanks for watching, I love you."
But seriously, about freakin' time.

uNext
Jan 2, 2008, 09:27 PM

True MMS
Multiple Recipients
Cut and Paste
Video Recording
Audio Recording
SDK

What I see in the future for the iPhone: Video conferencing with a front mounted cam on the iphone with 3G

I just got this phone for Christmas and I've been itching to jailbreak it so I can get all the cool apps now. But with all the exciting news I've been reading, I'm going to wait for the new up date.

Amen to those features

Lyle
Jan 2, 2008, 09:27 PM
Something tells me we're all going to be very disappointed with this update...I have the same feeling. These first few updates have been so pointless that it's difficult for me to get my hopes up that version 1.1.3 will be any more interesting.

Aperture
Jan 2, 2008, 09:29 PM
Man, that video was hilarious. I think if it has all these features, (as others have said) it would be more fit for 1.2.0 as opposed to 1.1.3.

ajhill
Jan 2, 2008, 09:31 PM
Has there ever been a company that has moved technology this far forward, at such a rapid pace and with such elegant products? I mean, iPhone, iPod, Leopard, iMac?

These guys and gals that create this stuff are amazing. I'm glad to see the world is catching the Apple wave!

hulugu
Jan 2, 2008, 09:33 PM

:confused:

You might want to explain what you mean here.

True MMS
Multiple Recipients
Cut and Paste
Video Recording
Audio Recording
SDK

What I see in the future for the iPhone: Video conferencing with a front mounted cam on the iphone with 3G...

Yeah, I want all that and a frickin' pony. :D;)

macduke
Jan 2, 2008, 09:35 PM
Yep. An app should it could be done for 45 secs a pop.

I am pretty sure the chip or one of the chips inside it also is a video compressor among other things.

The proof of concept app was 45 fps for 5 seconds. They're trying to make the final version 15-30 fps, only limited in length by storage. Wonder if its the h.264 chip that can compress video in real time for upload?

I'm willing to bet that if there are more features, and since these videos never showed the firmware and it's unfinished, that the firmware still reads 1.1.2. I bet there will be some really cool extra features unveiled at macworld, 1.2, on Friday, February 29th that will also support the Sdk apps. It will barely make the deadline. New iTunes with app sync support will also be released just before and the strings will show up for it. That's what I think anyway.

chr1s60
Jan 2, 2008, 09:40 PM
I had a feeling that once 1.1.3 was leaked Apple would go out and add some more features. Copy/paste would be awesome. If I got that all I would still want is MMS.

Island Dog
Jan 2, 2008, 09:48 PM
Eh, I will believe it all when I see it. I'm still waiting for the delete multiple e-mails function that was on my cell phone from years ago.

blueflame
Jan 2, 2008, 09:50 PM
I think Apple is smartly "building in" the features. so everyone gets their iphone, learns every single last thing of how to use it, then they add more. kinda keeps the feeling simple, less of a learning curve.

I just get the idea that they are still playing on the everyone tells their friends type thing. each person becomes a walking demo.

Anyway, just because I think this makes sense, I still want my update now, why do we have to wait for an event for a small software update, just release it when its ready already.
A

Vegeta-san
Jan 2, 2008, 10:00 PM
Has there ever been a company that has moved technology this far forward, at such a rapid pace and with such elegant products? I mean, iPhone, iPod, Leopard, iMac?

These guys and gals that create this stuff are amazing. I'm glad to see the world is catching the Apple wave!

Wow bro...Keep drinking the kool-aid man...Keep sippin it down....

SRSound
Jan 2, 2008, 10:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Give me ichat and i promise i wont hack my phone again Steve!

YES PLEASE

macduke
Jan 2, 2008, 10:04 PM

I think Apple is smartly "building in" the features. so everyone gets their iphone, learns every single last thing of how to use it, then they add more. kinda keeps the feeling simple, less of a learning curve.

I just get the idea that they are still playing on the everyone tells their friends type thing. each person becomes a walking demo.

Anyway, just because I think this makes sense, I still want my update now, why do we have to wait for an event for a small software update, just release it when its ready already.
A

Perhaps because it is more than a small update? I think this is a bigger, SDK build with more security to boot. The iPhone is the biggest story of the last few years for Apple, they will want to create more wow at Macworld. SJ: "Boom! New features for everyone, even more with iPhone 2.0."

Manatee
Jan 2, 2008, 10:06 PM
Cut & Paste would be great!

Now if we could only save files to the device so we'd have something to paste into. ;)

walnuts
Jan 2, 2008, 10:07 PM
There was that rumor a while ago where it was said (perhaps as an a example) that a video capture feature would debut alongside the ability to post videos from your phone to youtube

Rocketman
Jan 2, 2008, 10:07 PM
I predict the C/P feature exists in the ATNN (dual display micro laptop) not the ATN (iPhone). Or is crippled in the ATN.

Rocketman

nerdynerdynerdy
Jan 2, 2008, 10:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Nokia5500d/2.0 (03.55) SymbianOS/9.1 Series60/3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

woot.

Sedulous
Jan 2, 2008, 10:20 PM
The "proof of concept" cut/paste video seems great... except hold+tap for both copy and paste? How would the phone know if you want to copy or paste?

BWhaler
Jan 2, 2008, 10:29 PM
Let the record show that I'm calling BS right now. I would like to eat my words, but I doubt I will

I agree. No way these guys have a leak. They are just guessing is my bet.

I hope I am wrong since this list is a nice addition.

Either way, I hope we see a lot of stability in the next release. It's typical of the "New Apple" to have these crashes and other glitches, but it gets annoying to have Maps, the music, Safari crash a few times a day.

walnuts
Jan 2, 2008, 10:33 PM
The "proof of concept" cut/paste video seems great... except hold+tap for both copy and paste? How would the phone know if you want to copy or paste?

You know, that's true. I guess they could keep the hold-tap method for copying and a paste button somewhere else. The multiple item clipboard is nice as well, but it would need a way to purge clipboard items.

seedster2
Jan 2, 2008, 10:48 PM
This is what users have been demanding for a while now, fulfill basic expectations, (multiple recipients, copy/paste, mass deletion, etc). Focus on refining the existing functionalities first, then add all the bloatware apps that fluff your (Apple) bottom line (e.g. iTMS, etc).

Let's see what comes of this much discussed update

Digital Skunk
Jan 2, 2008, 11:00 PM
I can't believe that the iPhone didn't have that function to begin with... and I can't believe that they are adding it NOW and with a big hoopla over it like is some new UI thing going on.

I bet all the iPhone junkies are saying, "See... see... I told you the iPhone would be a real phone some day.... see it's getting better already... after a solid year."

megfilmworks
Jan 2, 2008, 11:05 PM
This is what users have been demanding for a while now, fulfill basic expectations, (multiple recipients, copy/paste, mass deletion, etc). Focus on refining the existing functionalities first, then add all the bloatware apps that fluff your (Apple) bottom line (e.g. iTMS, etc).

Let's see what comes of this much discussed update

I agree, except that iTMS is not fluff, it is operating capital.
iTMS and the iPod produced the capital that allowed the iPhone to become a reality and not just another rumor.
No iTMS, no iPhone.

imwoblin
Jan 2, 2008, 11:12 PM

So I think I get it. MMS is old tech and we need email to send pics. So when someone sends me an email with great high rez attachments, I can't even save them to my iPhone? I have to connect to iTunes to save the pics. This is a solution?

Krafty
Jan 2, 2008, 11:15 PM
What about Flash? When will we be seeing that?

iMikeT
Jan 2, 2008, 11:44 PM
Just another speculative rumor that somehow made its way to page 1 on Macrumors.:rolleyes:

puckhead193
Jan 3, 2008, 12:06 AM
...or they could release a new rev. b iphone with 3g in the spring/summer....:D
i guess this feature will help productivity.

mikeinternet
Jan 3, 2008, 12:07 AM
i think we are all going to sit on our hacked 1.1.1 phones, until there is a real SDK.

rspress
Jan 3, 2008, 12:21 AM
Both the iPhone and iPod Touch should have shipped with copy and paste enabled. I hope they don't care about jailbreaking the iPod Touch. I have a lot of applications on my that make it a very useful device. In fact my palm PDA is now retired and in storage thanks to the third party apps. Copy and paste will make it just that much more powerful.

damienvfx
Jan 3, 2008, 12:35 AM
Copy/Paste would be a nice feature to have.

You know what the iPhone NEEDS though? The ability to search email. I can't tell you how many times I've had to scroll through one by one just to find the email that my boss mentioned something I needed to read again.

Seriously Apple. Search email, please!!

atavision
Jan 3, 2008, 01:05 AM
what about flash, any word on that?

Yes, YES! what about Flash??
I hear everybody crying for copy/paste (hey it would be handy)
but nothing about the future of Flash on iPhone.

Does ANYBODY know when we're getting Flash?

Krafty
Jan 3, 2008, 01:09 AM

I'd like to know as well

bizzarre54
Jan 3, 2008, 01:59 AM
we are never gonna be totaly satisfied w iphone as I see

any solution for this?

szark
Jan 3, 2008, 02:02 AM
I'm really hoping a lot of these feature predictions come true. Can't wait for MWSF!

Frisco was referring to the Finder's lack of a Cut feature. And until they find a method that makes sense and doesn't destroy the logic behind that action (like the Windows version does) I'd prefer they leave it the way it is.

camsoft
Jan 3, 2008, 02:32 AM
I think the way shown coping and pasting is over complex in the mock video.

Gestures anyone?

With the iPhones multi-touch interface you could make gesture to enable the selection mode, then just drag you finger over the text to select and make a final gesture to copy. To paste just make another gesture.

Padriac
Jan 3, 2008, 02:40 AM

The finder doesn't cut-and-paste, only copy-and-paste. Pick a file (or files) in the finder to implement a cut-and-paste. Now try to to "cut" it. You can't.

Not really what we're talking about with the iPhone, but no cut-and-paste in the finder has been a long standing gripe, especially for those coming from Windows.

EDIT: what szark said.

docprego
Jan 3, 2008, 02:45 AM

Gestures anyone?

With the iPhones multi-touch interface you could make gesture to enable the selection mode, then just drag you finger over the text to select and make a final gesture to copy. To paste just make another gesture.

How about selecting text by touching at the start of the text until the magnifying glass pops up just like normal, but instead of releasing and having your cursor appear in that position drag over the desired text until everything wanted is highlighted. Then simply let go and the text remains highlighted. Next touch the highlighted text anywhere and keep your finger in contact until a context menu appear, exactly like it would occur in OS X. The action of keeping the finger in contact would be analogous to pressing control on the keyboard or using a right click on the mouse. With this system, the context menu could have several functions; cut, paste, copy, etc...

Yuppi
Jan 3, 2008, 02:52 AM

I think you are referring to files. And you are right about it. But there are sme good reasons against it.

It is funny to see that so man people agree upon some missing features. It just shows that the phone is uncomplete yet. But there are some features that I definitely would not miss. Lke having a front camera. Unless it is possible to use it in iChat. But that is still years away.
My favorites would be iChat and .Mac sync oh and a release in Sweden of the 3G version :) I fail to see why my calendar/address book/todo list/notes are not synced.
On the other hand if you put in everything you guys are requesting the phone just might look like at the N95. Has everything and is ugly/hard to use.

camsoft
Jan 3, 2008, 02:53 AM
How about selecting text by touching at the start of the text until the magnifying glass pops up just like normal, but instead of releasing and having your cursor appear in that position drag over the desired text until everything wanted is highlighted. Then simply let go and the text remains highlighted. Next touch the highlighted text anywhere and keep your finger in contact until a context menu appear, exactly like it would occur in OS X. The action of keeping the finger in contact would be analogous to pressing control on the keyboard or using a right click on the mouse. With this system, the context menu could have several functions; cut, paste, copy, etc...

How about selecting text by touching at the start of the text until the magnifying glass pops up just like normal, but instead of releasing and having your cursor appear in that position drag over the desired text.

See the problem with above is that this is how you currently move the mag glass around. When moving the mag glass you don't want to be selecting text. I like the context menu idea, but this is not very Apple, and Microsoft use this already on Windows Mobile platforms.

docprego
Jan 3, 2008, 03:02 AM
See the problem with above is that this is how you currently move the mag glass around. When moving the mag glass you don't want to be selecting text. I like the context menu idea, but this is not very Apple, and Microsoft use this already on Windows Mobile platforms.

Agreed but once the cursor is in position, then the selecting can occur. The initial positioning sequence (tap and hold then release) would only get the cursor into position exactly as it already does. The issue I see is that what if you want to reposition the cursor twice in a row, the OS needs to know what you are intending. Is the next drag a selection or a repositioning? There will have to be some intermediate input that tells the OS your intention. I know the exact mechanics need to be worked out but I think it is possible.

Vasileios
Jan 3, 2008, 03:19 AM

We're getting Flash at 15/01/08, 18:55 :p

poppe
Jan 3, 2008, 03:33 AM
I for one think the shaking icons looks retarded. To me it seems so ineloquent compared to everything the iphone is and does.

However, if the copy and paste comes in that will, finally, remove the enormous elephant in the room when someone begins to ask you about the iPhone and all its features, etc.

i.maverick
Jan 3, 2008, 03:38 AM
Copy/Paste would be a nice feature to have.

You know what the iPhone NEEDS though? The ability to search email. I can't tell you how many times I've had to scroll through one by one just to find the email that my boss mentioned something I needed to read again.

Seriously Apple. Search email, please!!

nope...i need system wide spotlight...!!
email...text...contacts..whatever...just out in 1 go...spotlight!!
cmon..!!
ha!

i.maverick
Jan 3, 2008, 03:40 AM

Gestures anyone?

ya..how about a clockwise circle for copy and anti for paste..or something like that. simple enf i think!!

Jiddick ExRex
Jan 3, 2008, 03:42 AM
Not having multiple recipients and cut and paste is probably the most idiotic lack of a feature in a smart phone ever. I can't believe that Apple has actually pulled that off. :rolleyes:

Evangelion
Jan 3, 2008, 03:55 AM
Instead of copy/paste, how about the ability to open web-links in the background in a new window?

Manic Mouse
Jan 3, 2008, 04:04 AM
What about WiFi syncing like :apple:TV?

Hattig
Jan 3, 2008, 05:02 AM

The drag in magnifying mode is how you fine-tune the cursor placement isn't it?

Do you mean:

1) single touch to finetune cursor placement
2) then whilst in magnifying mode, add second finger to the mix to enter select mode
3) select to the end, still in magnifying mode (remove first finger to exit magnifying mode but remain in select mode)
4) remove second finger to exit select mode
5) Selection is automatically copied to a multi-item clipboard

[6) (X) at top left of selection to delete selection to turn copy into cut]

7) double tap to paste (bring up clipboard, last 4 items or something) somewhere else (see, this is where it gets harder, finding a simple but unique action when the obvious one is used for selection)

notsofatjames
Jan 3, 2008, 05:04 AM
What about WiFi syncing like :apple:TV?

+1. or maybe they should provide 2 usb cables (I know, silly idea)

I cant see copy and paste being implimented a way stylish enough for apple to put into a product. And if they had found a way, you know there would be a patent for it. I think its just another website jumping on the 1.1.3 bandwagon, trying to get as many hits as possible.

illitrate23
Jan 3, 2008, 05:18 AM
I can't believe that the iPhone didn't have that function to begin with... and I can't believe that they are adding it NOW and with a big hoopla over it like is some new UI thing going on.

people forget that implementing copy/paste on the iPhone is not as straight-forward as it seems. the basic function is easy, obviously, but how to activate it on a device that you only use your fingers to interact with? i'm sure Apple could have included the functionality at the start but being Apple they need to ensure that the method of using it is as easy and intuitive as possible. I'm glad they've taken this long as it means they've really worked to find the best possible way to do it

Phil A.
Jan 3, 2008, 05:34 AM
IMO the update that will support the SDK will have to be massive because it will have to remove the "running all apps as root" security issue that all iPhones currently have. Effectively it will almost be a ground up re-write and it's possible that they will also add lots of other "missing" functionality at the same time. The question is whether this fabled 1.1.3 update will lay the groundwork for this, will be the final thing complete with SDK support or will simply be a "keep 'em quiet" update until the SDK support is released. Only time will tell, I guess

Instead of copy/paste, how about the ability to open web-links in the background in a new window?

Now, that would be a fantastic addition!

rspress
Jan 3, 2008, 06:14 AM
I would like:

1. Sync to Mac via wi-fi. All my media is stored on a Mac with a USB 1.1 connection......S.....L.....O......W.

2. Flash/Shockwave support. Apple promised that this feature was coming. Of course Apple promised dotmac widgets when tiger was released and those have never shown up.

3. Screen Sharing-Remote Access via dotmac. Simple to do, I already have a third part VNC client on the iPod Touch.

4. DotMac support for iPod Touch and iPhone. Like backing up the bookmarks to dotmac, access to dotmac features.

5. Full support for Dashboard Widgets. Really no reason this should not be simple to do. It would be nice for package trackers, web cam viewers.

6. Don't treat the iPod Touch as the bastard child of the iPhone. Jailbreaking shows that the iPod Touch can run all the cool apps the iPhone can.....sans phone.

NOV
Jan 3, 2008, 07:01 AM
That mock up is brilliant.......I love you LOL

Gravity
Jan 3, 2008, 07:44 AM
So many great ideas and feature requests for iPhone... makes it seem like a mini tablet computer is what we all really want... a portable, fully-functioning pocket iMac. The phone itself is like a secondary feature. (which I am very satisfied with... except for AT&T's exorbitant fees and crappy plans!)

I was impressed with the fake demo of the copy/paste function. Nicely done! (Not the creepy mouth animation, so much...) I would like copy and paste... at least for emails, if not from web pages. Multi-delete for spam emails... and maybe the ability to create email filters to manage spam? Why can't iPhone IMPORT all my "Mail" filter settings from my mac?

Erik

koobcamuk
Jan 3, 2008, 07:45 AM

Well said.

distortedloop
Jan 3, 2008, 08:09 AM

Forget about Flash. As ubiquitous as it is on the web, it will KILL your iPhone's battery very quickly. I don't know about Windows machines, but if you're on an OS X machine, listen to your fans and check your CPU monitor when you start playing Flash videos...CPU runs up to 100% and stays there as long as Flash is running. This is a well known "bug"(?) in Flash for OS X, and the usual explanation pundits give for why no Flash on the iPhone.

network23
Jan 3, 2008, 08:25 AM
I can't believe that the iPhone didn't have [Cut and Paste] to begin with... "See... see... I told you the iPhone would be a real phone some day.... see it's getting better already... after a solid year."

The iPhone was launched on June 15th. Solid year? I think not.

lazyrighteye
Jan 3, 2008, 08:35 AM
This is all sounding like a LOT for a x.x.3 update.
Borderline pipe dream.

scottybe
Jan 3, 2008, 08:57 AM
My Windows computer reported a trojan horse virus as soon as I went to Macscoop. (I know, I know ... but I'm at work!)

thejadedmonkey
Jan 3, 2008, 09:04 AM
ya..how about a clockwise circle for copy and anti for paste..or something like that. simple enf i think!!
That would be freakin AMAZING! +1

cubbie5150
Jan 3, 2008, 09:07 AM

So I think I get it. MMS is old tech and we need email to send pics. So when someone sends me an email with great high rez attachments, I can't even save them to my iPhone? I have to connect to iTunes to save the pics. This is a solution?

^^^ What he said...

bsirius
Jan 3, 2008, 09:10 AM
Seeing the video, I think this is still too complex.

Remembering why my newton did, it was SO simple.

With the stylus, you mark like this:

tap + hold (a "plop" sound marks the begin of the action and the cursor changes into a round black circle the signifys the begin of the marked area)
move to mark the text
lift the stylus to end marking

and then you can address all sorts of commands to the marked section like:

delete (scrible over it)
move (tap + hold; move somewhere else; release)
copy (double tap + hold; move; release)
overwrite (just write something new and it will replace the marked text)

cut / copy to clipboard are actually just move or copy but instead of moving it somewhere else, you move it to the side of the screen and it locks there.

Paste is just taking the bit from the side of the screen and moving it back somewhere into the text. There are even 2 pastes, one with one tap that will move the pasted stuff into the text and removes it from the side and double tap, that will leave a copy in the clipboard.

ALL that is very visual and very close to actually handling a cut piece of text, no need to remember that there is a hidden clipboard somewhere and you can actually have multiple text fragments in the clipboard (the side of the screen).

And the newton did more, there was also the option to mark a rectangular section by just starting the selection in a free area without text, this way you could also mark drawings or text and drawings.

Great, And how to move this to the iphone? Easy!

as tap and hold bring up the screen magnifying glas, just use the second finger tab to start a moving selection that stops with lifting the finger - easy. use a double tap to start a selection with setting the selection start, then move to the end and do the tap+hold, place the marker, then 2nd finger double tap again to end selection at the marker. done.
And for marking a rectangular section, just tap+hold with the second finger too (after placing the magnifying glas where you want it), then move both fingers and a rectangular will start to appear.

You could even do stuff like if you only move the 2nd finge, it will become a circle with the first finger at the center and the second one at the outer edge. Lifting one finger will again stop the marking.

And removing the marking is easy to, just tap somewhere else :-) Removing a clipboard item is easy to, just move it to a NO DROP area, the icon will become a "no go sign" (or trash can) and it will disappear with a "whosh". You can even re-arrange the items by moving them around on the screen side.

Alle the other moves can be ported 1:1 from the newton.

toomer
Jan 3, 2008, 09:26 AM
I can't believe that they are adding it NOW and with a big hoopla over it like is some new UI thing going on.

Can you please enlighten us by pointing us at Apple's "hoopla" they are apparently making over this, with a link perhaps? 'kthx...

fourthtunz
Jan 3, 2008, 09:35 AM
So many great ideas and feature requests for iPhone... makes it seem like a mini tablet computer is what we all really want... a portable, fully-functioning pocket iMac. The phone itself is like a secondary feature. (which I am very satisfied with... except for AT&T's exorbitant fees and crappy plans!)
Erik

Eric, you've got it! I'm all for making the iphone into a pocket imac!
Hey I guess I'm easy, I just wanted a phone in my ipod so I'm real happy with my iphone:D
I've seen the crackberries and all the other so called smart phones, they have lots of functions but are a pain in the AXX to use and they don't have itunes and their video screens are small and crappy.
Voice and video recording and maybe att adding a few more minutes to the basic plan would be nice;)

dopeytree
Jan 3, 2008, 09:59 AM

http://gadgets.inventivelabs.com.au/tabulate

people research!

kirk26
Jan 3, 2008, 11:24 AM
iPhone 1.1.3 Update-Bringing 1999 technology to you today.

ilogic
Jan 3, 2008, 12:10 PM
i've needed to copy/paste maybe 3 times since i've had my iphone (purchased at 200$ cut) and it wasnt a big deal... but its very nice...

this one is 3/5 for me..

:apple::apple::apple:

That-Is-Bull
Jan 3, 2008, 01:14 PM
On some websites when I touch and hold near the edge of my iPhone, the screen goes dark and "Action" pops up. I don't know the current use for this, but for 1.1.3 they could make that lock the website and allow you to highlight text instead of moving the page around, then have buttons pop up for cut/copy/paste.

ilogic
Jan 3, 2008, 02:01 PM
sounds good but, i find it easier to take two fingers and place them in front of the word you want to select and slide your second finger across the word which highlights the word, and the popup menu to copy/cut appears...

to paste, you press down the button which makes the focus lense come up and move it to where you desire to paste the word, then use your second finger to press on that area.. and the word automatically pastes...

That-Is-Bull
Jan 3, 2008, 02:08 PM
Forget about Flash. As ubiquitous as it is on the web, it will KILL your iPhone's battery very quickly. I don't know about Windows machines, but if you're on an OS X machine, listen to your fans and check your CPU monitor when you start playing Flash videos...CPU runs up to 100% and stays there as long as Flash is running. This is a well known "bug"(?) in Flash for OS X, and the usual explanation pundits give for why no Flash on the iPhone.

I've never noticed that. When I view Flash (pretty often) my iMac stays silent and snappy, nothing changes.

winterspan
Jan 3, 2008, 06:08 PM
As far as MMS, not sure why we need the ability to send lo-fi files with messages when we can send higher resolution attachments with email.
The only time I would need it is when a friend with an older phone (no email attachments) can only send me his lo res phone camera photo via ancient MMS.

MMS is hardly "ancient". Well unless your definition of ancient is a service which sees billions of uses per month with near global compatibility with every phone sold in the last 3-4 years. Calling MMS ancient is like calling the internal combustion engine ancient. It is old technology, but its the standard.

That said, Is email potentially a good replacement for MMS allowing higher resolution/ longer duration images/videos? Yes, but on the condition that the majority of modern (< 2 years old) phones have easy-to-use, functional email applications. This sticking point will work itself out eventually, but probably not for a few years....

koobcamuk
Jan 4, 2008, 03:52 AM
http://gadgets.inventivelabs.com.au/tabulate

people research!

I believe a solution directly from Apple is what is required.

nlivo
Jan 4, 2008, 06:44 AM
personally I would like this way of doing it......

You double tap but on the second tap you hold it. After about a second the iPhones "drop-up" menu appears. it has three options...."copy","paste" and "clipboard"!! You click on copy and then two magnifying glasses appear. Drag them wherever you want and whatever the text inbetween it gets highlighted blue. Double tap to finish and then just do the same action to paste or use the last 5 or so previous "copy's" in the clipboard.

diamond.g
Jan 4, 2008, 06:51 AM
Instead of typing explainations of how it works why not make a video. It seems, to me, like everyone is saying the same thing over and over.

SFC Archer
Jan 4, 2008, 10:22 AM
MMS is hardly "ancient". Well unless your definition of ancient is a service which sees billions of uses per month with near global compatibility with every phone sold in the last 3-4 years. Calling MMS ancient is like calling the internal combustion engine ancient. It is old technology, but its the standard.

That said, Is email potentially a good replacement for MMS allowing higher resolution/ longer duration images/videos? Yes, but on the condition that the majority of modern (< 2 years old) phones have easy-to-use, functional email applications. This sticking point will work itself out eventually, but probably not for a few years....

I agree with megfilmworks. MMS is only popular because of the majority of low quality phones and OS that are available and users are being forced to use that method of transferring this low quality garbage intsead of having the opportunity to use email. Is MMS ancient, not really but it will become obsolete long before email does and once phones have a constistant and reliable capability to send and recieve email then MMS will be where we are saying it should go.

Another way to look at this is Apple did think "Different". They are not ignorant in the fact that MMS is quiet popular with the majority of users but what they did do is take a risk or gamble that MMS will be gone some day soon do to technology and gave the user the ability to send these files straight through email the way its suppose to, be checked by the filters for virus, keyloggers, malware and all that other garbage instead of allowing sicko's to send stuff unfiltered into the iPhone through MMS. Apple made using email very very easy, as easy as MMS....provided....that the recipient or sender has the same function...which...given time....will become the norm.
In this aspect Apple is thinking "Different" and thinking about the future and yes taking a risk...will it work? Only time will tell.

I am not knocking or degrading your opinion in any way so please do not take offense...I am only providing a different look and opinion.

Have a Super Day!

SFC Archer
Jan 4, 2008, 10:27 AM
Instead of typing explainations of how it works why not make a video. It seems, to me, like everyone is saying the same thing over and over.

....or another way to look at this is....Apple has already figured out how to do this and we will all know when and if it is released based on the original reason this thread came out.

Why are we trying to re-invent the wheel that has already been created???

Just an opinion

Digital Skunk
Jan 4, 2008, 10:42 AM
people forget that implementing copy/paste on the iPhone is not as straight-forward as it seems. the basic function is easy, obviously, but how to activate it on a device that you only use your fingers to interact with? i'm sure Apple could have included the functionality at the start but being Apple they need to ensure that the method of using it is as easy and intuitive as possible. I'm glad they've taken this long as it means they've really worked to find the best possible way to do it

This is almost a blind acceptance of a flawed device. How can Apple (who does make the best software) put out a device with missing features and then has to make an update to get it up to the standards of the rest of the tech world and get away with it, while Microsoft does the same thing with Vista and gets fried? I know that Vista is far worse than the iPhone will ever be but come on... it's copy paste. Even if it didn't work well they could have put it in the phone to begin with.

Not to mention it's still missing more features than just copy paste, which can be done three different ways on the Treo and other phones.

The iPhone was launched on June 15th. Solid year? I think not.

The phone was introduced and the public knew about it's existence in January during MacWorld, Apple had til then to fix the problems with it and add any software features.

A solid year...? I think so. If it's not by your standards then I am sorry.

Can you please enlighten us by pointing us at Apple's "hoopla" they are apparently making over this, with a link perhaps? 'kthx...

Not Apple's hoopla, this sites and other users hoopla. You don't need a link since you are already here. Thanks

iPhone 1.1.3 Update-Bringing 1999 technology to you today.

Someone gets it.