PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard marks on new PBook screens?

stoid
Oct 7, 2003, 02:55 PM
I know that Apple redesigned the new PBook so that the keyboard wouldn't scratch the screen, but I'm a bit paranoid about letting over 2000 dollars of tech to some engineer's competency. I do think that it is a wonderful product, and I just want to keep in as great condition for as long as possible especially becuase I transport it around with me a great deal. Has anyone been carrying their new PBook around "naked" and what are the results on the screen? Or is it too early to tell, and the scratches wouldn't have developed yet?

machem
Oct 7, 2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by stoid
I know that Apple redesigned the new PBook so that the keyboard wouldn't scratch the screen, but I'm a bit paranoid about letting over 2000 dollars of tech to some engineer's competency. I do think that it is a wonderful product, and I just want to keep in as great condition for as long as possible especially becuase I transport it around with me a great deal. Has anyone been carrying their new PBook around "naked" and what are the results on the screen? Or is it too early to tell, and the scratches wouldn't have developed yet?

I think I'm getting marks. Hard to tell. I think it would be due to the flexing of the lid/screen when it's carried by grabbin near the latch side rather than the hinge side.

beerguy
Oct 7, 2003, 04:43 PM
I've noticed it on mine as well. My HP did the same thing.

I put the cleaning cloth that came with my iMac over the keys when I close the lid. Not elegant, but a solution.

stoid
Oct 7, 2003, 07:38 PM
So Apple added space, but still to no avail and I still need a screen protector?

Schiffi
Oct 7, 2003, 07:41 PM
Probably

I've never seen a metal laptop not get kb marks. Basically the screen buckles and touches the kb anyway. Anything is good, but I use a marware brand for my Ti. It works ok.

MattG
Oct 7, 2003, 07:52 PM
Well I've had my 15" for two weeks...I haven't been using a protector, and I don't have any makrs on my screen. I used to get them all the time on my 667mhz TiBook...

pyrotoaster
Oct 7, 2003, 08:42 PM
I think the real problem - or at least the one Apple fixed - was the old pop-out keyboards. They could bend up at the sides and really scuff up the screen.

If you're really paranoid, then just go ahead and keep your screen extra safe. It's better safe than sorry. :D

QCassidy352
Oct 7, 2003, 09:45 PM
can't those marks be cleaned off easily with iklear or something like that?

Balin64
Oct 7, 2003, 11:21 PM
Guys:

I've had my 12" 867 for a month and I have noticed absolutely no marks. I also take very good care of my 'Book and I have a comfy Kensington laptop bag to make sure teh screen does not get pushed into teh keyboard. I noticed the problem is very noticeable on iBooks, less so with PowerBooks and definitely less so on AlBooks.

stoid
Oct 7, 2003, 11:21 PM
My dad got some of the marks of with iKlear, but not all of them.

BTW: He bought a screen protector from Jr Hill after one air trip to Texas with the laptop, and already had unfixable marks.