Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
I know that Apple redesigned the new PBook so that the keyboard wouldn't scratch the screen, but I'm a bit paranoid about letting over 2000 dollars of tech to some engineer's competency. I do think that it is a wonderful product, and I just want to keep in as great condition for as long as possible especially becuase I transport it around with me a great deal. Has anyone been carrying their new PBook around "naked" and what are the results on the screen? Or is it too early to tell, and the scratches wouldn't have developed yet?

machem

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
Stockton/Sacramento CA
Re: Keyboard marks on new PBook screens?

Originally posted by stoid
I know that Apple redesigned the new PBook so that the keyboard wouldn't scratch the screen, but I'm a bit paranoid about letting over 2000 dollars of tech to some engineer's competency. I do think that it is a wonderful product, and I just want to keep in as great condition for as long as possible especially becuase I transport it around with me a great deal. Has anyone been carrying their new PBook around "naked" and what are the results on the screen? Or is it too early to tell, and the scratches wouldn't have developed yet?

I think I'm getting marks. Hard to tell. I think it would be due to the flexing of the lid/screen when it's carried by grabbin near the latch side rather than the hinge side.

beerguy

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
I've noticed it on mine as well. My HP did the same thing.

I put the cleaning cloth that came with my iMac over the keys when I close the lid. Not elegant, but a solution.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
Probably

I've never seen a metal laptop not get kb marks. Basically the screen buckles and touches the kb anyway. Anything is good, but I use a marware brand for my Ti. It works ok.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Well I've had my 15" for two weeks...I haven't been using a protector, and I don't have any makrs on my screen. I used to get them all the time on my 667mhz TiBook...

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I think the real problem - or at least the one Apple fixed - was the old pop-out keyboards. They could bend up at the sides and really scuff up the screen.

If you're really paranoid, then just go ahead and keep your screen extra safe. It's better safe than sorry. :D

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Pristine 12" Screen

Guys:

I've had my 12" 867 for a month and I have noticed absolutely no marks. I also take very good care of my 'Book and I have a comfy Kensington laptop bag to make sure teh screen does not get pushed into teh keyboard. I noticed the problem is very noticeable on iBooks, less so with PowerBooks and definitely less so on AlBooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.