View Full Version : Apple Creating iMac-like Docking Station

MacHiavelli
Jan 3, 2008, 09:14 AM
This looks interesting:

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/15936/

BiikeMike
Jan 3, 2008, 09:18 AM
you beat me by two minutes!

They also have a cool keyboard patent :)

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/03/apple-patents-a-maxiumus-alike-keyboard-imac-macbook-dock/

Techguy172
Jan 3, 2008, 09:18 AM
That is certainly a Different way of doing things. It must have a DVI Connector in there or something to allow the laptop to connect to the screen.

Matek
Jan 3, 2008, 09:25 AM
That seems weird, I don't really see any point in it.

If the dock is a whole computer with an ability to dock a laptop, it's kinda weird because you can only use one of them at the same time. It's like having a desktop computer and then unplugging all peripherals and replugging them into your laptop - why would you do that on a regular basis? In my experience, dock users usually have powerful laptops and use them as primary systems and docks just provide them with easily available extensions.

On the other hand, if it's just a monitor, it's awkward because you can only use that single Apple display, they don't give you any choices.

I'd prefer they just release a regular dock - not having one is currently a major downside of their laptop range.

Mydel
Jan 3, 2008, 09:25 AM
Yeah that look pretty interesting. But screen should have also possibility to work with other devices

Raid
Jan 3, 2008, 09:27 AM
The concept reminds me of the good 'ol Duo's, but the sketch is a little rough... I'm not sure if there's a big enough market for this, but I could see how some might find it useful.

tkidBOSTON
Jan 3, 2008, 09:30 AM
Let's chalk this one up next to the Folio. Is anyone going to really shell out a ton of money for a "companion product" like that?

MacRumors
Jan 3, 2008, 09:48 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

A patent application submitted in 2006 and published for the first time today has revealed that Apple is working on a docking station for portable computers, the exterior of which closely resembles Apple's iMac line of desktop computers.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/03/iMacDock_300.jpg

A docking station is disclosed. The docking station includes a display and a housing configured to hold the display in a manner that exposes a viewing surface of the display to view. The housing defines a docking area configured to receive a portable computer; The docking area is at least partly obscured by the display when viewed from the viewing surface side of the display at an angle substantially orthogonal to the viewing surface.

Apple argues that its docking station concept is superior in that it requires less desk space due to its vertical orientation. It is also simpler, as the display is integrated and wireless network technologies will be employed for communication between the dock and the portable.

There has been some speculation around the internet that the patent could be tied to the rumored Apple ultra-portable (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/31/apple-sub-notebook-hints-external-optical-drive-multitouch-trackpad/). While the timing of the publication is interesting, the application itself remains generic in nature, and appears to be applicable to any notebook computer.

Raw Data: Patent Application #20080002350 (http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20080002350&OS=20080002350&RS=20080002350)

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/03/apple-creating-imac-like-docking-station/)

JFreak
Jan 3, 2008, 09:50 AM
I've waited for something like this for ages!

CWallace
Jan 3, 2008, 09:50 AM
I wonder if the dock will have an integrated LCD and the whole laptop just tucks in behind it, or if it will be an open area that a Mac tablet (with multi-touch?) would slide into, as kontheur mocked up:

http://frankreinders.nl/foto/800/imac_touch.jpg

longofest
Jan 3, 2008, 09:51 AM
The dock includes a display

Shacklebolt
Jan 3, 2008, 09:53 AM
Let's hope that Apple works out the kinks... and makes it a little bit classier than the... uh...

http://regmedia.co.uk/2006/08/11/apple_duodock_1.jpg

nicoboss
Jan 3, 2008, 09:56 AM
pffff --- this looks old/fake

if it is a concept, they have no reason to be that precise in their drawing (imac looking "dock", thick macbook, apple logos etc..) - just compare these drawings to the "sliding-icons-iphone" patent drawings that looks much more generic as any patent application should be (in my view).....
Also it looks really similar to the old performa duo series and would not really need any "concept" patent as this one seems to be.

I am not impressed...

kontheur
Jan 3, 2008, 09:56 AM
The dock includes a display

Why 2 displays if your "tablet Mac thing" already has one ???

Cooknn
Jan 3, 2008, 09:57 AM
From Gizmodo this morning: Apple Docking Patent Works Perfectly with Ultra Slim MacBook (http://gizmodo.com/339918/apple-docking-patent-works-perfectly-with-ultra+slim-macbook).
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/2008/01/thumb463x_imac-dock.jpg

tkidBOSTON
Jan 3, 2008, 09:57 AM

I think this is more for the mbp, mb, or rumored ultra-portable where the screen would not be available when closed and tucked away.

sushi
Jan 3, 2008, 09:58 AM
Maybe this idea (patent) is the modern day version of the Duo Dock.

Slip
Jan 3, 2008, 09:58 AM

Now we're talking.
I can imagine this being a little too lofty for the average Joe but if you have the money :rolleyes:

volk
Jan 3, 2008, 09:59 AM
I wonder if the dock will have an integrated LCD and the whole laptop just tucks in behind it, or if it will be an open area that a Mac tablet (with multi-touch?) would slide into, as kontheur mocked up:

This would actually be cool. Inside the dock, there should be a huge hard drive to make up for the lack of one in the sub-notebook. Unfortunately, the patent doesn't read like this mock up.

SciTeach
Jan 3, 2008, 09:59 AM
Agreed on the "two tablet"...why? I should be interesting if Apple does develop something like this in say...3-4 years...imho.

jakebot
Jan 3, 2008, 10:00 AM

That tablet mock-up looks SOOOOOOO Sexy.. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

mmmmm...

I don't know that such a design makes sense. Consider that a tablet would need to have all if not most of the innards required to be a fully functional computer. I've seen other patents that suggest Apple's design for a tablet would be the tablet docks to an armature like the L-curve one that holds up the Apple Cinema displays. In such a case, the tablet is the display face, rather than sliding into an empty case that serves little or no purpose other than to be a large unwieldy shell that does nothing on its own.

2A Batterie
I highly doubt we'll see anything like this on January 15th.

Shacklebolt
Jan 3, 2008, 10:03 AM
Although that mockup is indeed sexy, it also scares the crap out of me. A 20" multi-touch tablet? What one earth would one use that for?

miketcool
Jan 3, 2008, 10:04 AM
Now we're talking.
I can imagine this being a little too lofty for the average Joe but if you have the money :rolleyes:

Lofty because that mockup would be a 24 inch HD tablet? We're talking 10 inches people, 12 tops, you would probably like to have a bigger desktop screen. And if that screen had it's own graphics card, hd and optical drive; then the solution becomes ever more svelte. I actually like it, and hope it is an option!
Zip disk? No, it's a whole computer!

Cooknn
Jan 3, 2008, 10:04 AM
Why 2 displays if your "tablet Mac thing" already has one ???He was referring to the patent.

Jasonbot
Jan 3, 2008, 10:05 AM
That tablet mock-up looks SOOOOOOO Sexy.. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

mmmmm...

It looks like a 24" iPod Touch..

Bonte
Jan 3, 2008, 10:05 AM
This can only work with a tablet, fingers crossed. :)

plumbingandtech
Jan 3, 2008, 10:06 AM
Although that mockup is indeed sexy, it also scares the crap out of me. A 20" multi-touch tablet? What one earth would one use that for?

Take a look at the Gizmodo mock up.

The notebook part would be much smaller then 20".

Mydel
Jan 3, 2008, 10:07 AM
This would actually be cool. Inside the dock, there should be a huge hard drive to make up for the lack of one in the sub-notebook. Unfortunately, the patent doesn't read like this mock up.

I dont think so. The screen would be way to small to work comfortable. I imagine it will be dock with independent screen

jdmlight
Jan 3, 2008, 10:10 AM
I don't know that such a design makes sense. Consider that a tablet would need to have all if not most of the innards required to be a fully functional computer. I've seen other patents that suggest Apple's design for a tablet would be the tablet docks to an armature like the L-curve one that holds up the Apple Cinema displays. In such a case, the tablet is the display face, rather than sliding into an empty case that serves little or no purpose other than to be a large unwieldy shell that does nothing on its own.

I think that it would make some sense: if the dock had a 500gb-1tb hard drive in it and an optical drive, then the ultraportable would be free to use a flash-based hard drive (which currently have a small amount of storage space) and no optical drive. Sounds like it could work...

plumbingandtech
Jan 3, 2008, 10:11 AM
IF this is true then there will need to be a major faster connector somewhere on the subnote to the motherboard.

The old PowerBook due had quite the wide connector.

jdmlight
Jan 3, 2008, 10:14 AM
IF this is true then there will need to be a major faster connector somewhere on the subnote to the motherboard.

The old PowerBook due had quite the wide connector.

C'mon eSATA!!

JasonElise1983
Jan 3, 2008, 10:14 AM
wow, that's really funny. I had actually thought of this a couple of years ago myself. I actually had started patent drawings and descriptions a few months ago, and then gave up. too much legal mess to go through. But here is an image of what i drew.

-JE

MikeELL
Jan 3, 2008, 10:15 AM
Bold prediction:

The sub portable everyone is talking about *is* the next gen iMac. Comes in a range of sizes (12" - 24"), with multi-touch as the interface with the tablet when separate from the dock - which incidentally, *is* the external optical drive mentioned in some other rumors.

any takers? :)

jdmlight
Jan 3, 2008, 10:17 AM
Y'know, I think I might still have a PB Duo lying around here somewhere...

Bold prediction:

The sub portable everyone is talking about *is* the next gen iMac. Comes in a range of sizes (12" - 24"), with multi-touch as the interface with the tablet when separate from the dock - which incidentally, *is* the external optical drive mentioned in some other rumors.

Hey, makes sense to me. Since this is supposedly going to be the first year that laptops will outsell desktops (it was a Wired story, I'll look for a link), it would take an innovative company such as Apple to combine the laptop and desktop in an extremely svelte way so that consumers wouldn't have to decide between a laptop and a desktop. (Also so that people don't have to worry about files being in sync between the two computers if they have both - like I do. It's really annoying having two documents folders.) Like I said a few posts ago, integrated 500gb-1tb HDD and a DVD burner would allow the ultraportable to have a flash-based HDD and no optical drive.

dongmin
Jan 3, 2008, 10:23 AM
Seems to me that this is a VERY high-end solution. That's a lot of extra hardware you're paying for (LCD, case, HD, keyboard, dock connectors, etc.). And you're not gonna get that powerful of a computer to begin with given the small form factor of the ultraportable.

Wouldn't you be better off just buying a second computer???

mattvolp
Jan 3, 2008, 10:26 AM
You know how car companies come out with those flashy concept cars that everyone "ooohs and aaaahhhhs" about, but then never ever releases? This is the same thing, but computer style.

Jan 3, 2008, 10:27 AM
I think that it would make some sense: if the dock had a 500gb-1tb hard drive in it and an optical drive, then the ultraportable would be free to use a flash-based hard drive (which currently have a small amount of storage space) and no optical drive. Sounds like it could work...

Sure but the form factor in this case looks goofy. I mean, when the "carcass" is alone... you've got this big empty round rectangle sitting on your desk. Very un-Apple.

The dock has to be a continuous piece to which the tablet attaches... otherwise if it's a shell or "receptacle" it wastes space. Sure I know it's vertical space, but that's still visual space being wasted... which looks ugly.

Imagine this though... you know the L-shaped armature on the iMac... imagine that where it comes down to the footprint, the base is thicker -- just wide enough to house a hard drive and optical drive. Then, when you dock it, it connects magnetically to the upright part of the smooth, curved aluminum arm, and charges entirely via induction... no interlocking parts.

Apple already has a patent for the induction charging stand of exactly this style, but not the thicker base with hard drive and optical drive in it.

When I get home I'll see if I can do a mockup of it or something.

Roy Hobbs
Jan 3, 2008, 10:27 AM
Seems to me that this is a VERY high-end solution. That's a lot of extra hardware you're paying for (LCD, case, HD, keyboard, dock connectors, etc.). And you're not gonna get that powerful of a computer to begin with given the small form factor of the ultraportable.

As stated in other posts of this thread, most people don't like dealing with 2 computers.

Sure but the form factor in this case looks goofy. I mean, when the "carcass" is alone... you've got this big empty round rectangle sitting on your desk. Very un-Apple.

The dock has to be a continuous piece to which the tablet attaches... otherwise if it's a shell or "receptacle" it wastes space. Sure I know it's vertical space, but that's still visual space being wasted... which looks ugly.

Imagine this though... you know the L-shaped armature on the iMac... imagine that where it comes down to the footprint, the base is thicker -- just wide enough to house a hard drive and optical drive. Then, when you dock it, it connects magnetically to the upright part of the smooth, curved aluminum arm, and charges entirely via induction... no interlocking parts.

Apple already has a patent for the induction charging stand of exactly this style, but not the thicker base with hard drive and optical drive in it.

When I get home I'll see if I can do a mockup of it or something.

The shell wouldn't be empty it would essentially look like today's iMac. You would still have the display and the notebook would slide behind it.

longofest
Jan 3, 2008, 10:30 AM
pffff --- this looks old/fake

if it is a concept, they have no reason to be that precise in their drawing (imac looking "dock", thick macbook, apple logos etc..) - just compare these drawings to the "sliding-icons-iphone" patent drawings that looks much more generic as any patent application should be (in my view).....
Also it looks really similar to the old performa duo series and would not really need any "concept" patent as this one seems to be.

I am not impressed...

You obviously have not seen too many patent applications, have you...

kingslod
Jan 3, 2008, 10:31 AM
I just bought a new iMac after debating to go with it, or a laptop and external monitor set-up at work. If they do come out with this, I'll be overjoyed and bummed at the same time (wanna buy a slightly used iMac?). It's exactly the simple elegant solution I'd want for my office desk. The Macbook plugged into an ext. monitor is pretty cumbersome and messy, and takes a lot of extra desk space.

MikeELL
Jan 3, 2008, 10:32 AM

Is there something I've missed - what about that patent application suggests they're duplicating lcd screens (probably the most $$ part of what we're talking about)?

njfuzzy
Jan 3, 2008, 10:32 AM
Now this all makes sense to me.

Apple will release the MacBook duo at MacWorld, with the iMac style duo Dock shipping soon after.

The new product will straddle the desktop and laptop product slots, leveraging the popularity of laptops and the popularity of the iMac form factor at the same time.

The dock is an elegant way to address adding a larger monitor, optical drive, and peripheral connections, all at once. It may also include a larger (traditional) hard drive, but won't need to add AirPort and BlueTooth.

This also lets them do something pretty clever... This can be both their midrange laptop (laptop between the Mac Book and Mac Book Pro in price) and their midrange desktop (laptop plus dock between the iMac and Mac Pro in total price). I wonder what size the monitor will be.

This dock won't be for the MacBook or MacBook pro, because a smaller and thinner laptop leaves more room for other components, and bigger ones have less need for added drives, peripherals, monitor, etc.

I wish I had the budget, as this is really perfect for me. I've been torn between a midrange iMac or MacBook, to replace my aging Power Mac dual-G5. This covers both bases, but will definitely be priced outside of my range. The fact that I'm drooling over it lends a certain weight to the rumor, as it may suggest this is an untapped market segment.

gkarris
Jan 3, 2008, 10:34 AM
^^^ We gladly welcome back the new incarnation of the PowerBook Duo!

It was really the coolest subnote I've ever used!

Jan 3, 2008, 10:36 AM
I wonder if the dock will have an integrated LCD and the whole laptop just tucks in behind it, or if it will be an open area that a Mac tablet (with multi-touch?) would slide into, as kontheur mocked up:<snip>

Now that would be cool. I do not like the Targus docks for PC's (not mac compatible) that plugs into a USB port. I hope this is a true dock like dell used to do, where it slides into a special high-speed port connector and then the doc has all the extra USB ports, PS2 ports, lan ports, for a true desktop like experience. This would give me so many options, then I could say goodbye to a desk top all together and not be tranfering data back anf forth.

I like it I like it:D

notjustjay
Jan 3, 2008, 10:36 AM
The problem with this concept is that once docked, you have a nice big, iMac-like computer with the performance of an ultra-portable.

You know, like you've all been saying about low-power, slow CPUs, flash drives instead of hard drives.

Do you really want an iMac-sized computer that runs like a low-end MacBook (or worse?!)?

Popeye206
Jan 3, 2008, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure what the advantage would be for a dock? Why not just an easy way to connect to an iMac? Oh... thats right... we already have wireless networking! However, it would be interesting if iMacs all came with the ability to have an ultra portable slip right into them (much like a giant SD card)... it would be like having two computers in one when "docked".

I think this is a strategic release of information by Apple to see what users like us all think and to get "buzz" going before MacWorld. It's just to throw us all off the path and keep us guessing.

jb510
Jan 3, 2008, 10:43 AM
If the idea is to use the laptop screen in the dock as the sketch sort of suggests then this is stupid... If as one of the photo shopped mark ups shows it would be like a envelope with a larger screen to slide the laptop into then maybe... but sliding it in from the side becomes problematic. Many people have stuff piled around there desk that would make it awkward at best. It would make more sense IMHO to slide it in from the top... the problem being then the assembled unit is prone to being top heavy.

As a side note some of the ultra portable rumors put a hing on it that is reminencent of the edge of the new keyboards. These hinges could in theory rotate 360 degrees. The lack of even going to 180 is one of my gripes about the MBP. Flipping 360 could allow it to be docked vertically with the screen exposed...

X38
Jan 3, 2008, 10:43 AM
Points for creativity, but in the end a very, very bad idea!

I have many friends at work who use PC laptops with docking stations. They all have an extra monitor connected to the dock such that when at their desks they get the benefit of dual screens; one on the laptop itself and the external desktop monitor. With the concept in this patent the laptop screen goes to waste when docked. Not only that, but you would also have no option to use the laptops own keyboard when docked, thus forcing you to use a desktop keyboard and not really saving much desk space anyway.

Apple definitely needs to add a docking station port to all of its laptops as it is a very useful feature for many folks, but this concept, just like the old duo concept, is too clever to the point of failure.

Please Apple, just give us a docking plug and let this thing die in development.

mrgreen4242
Jan 3, 2008, 10:45 AM
Bold prediction:

I could see Apple doing it, but there's no way they'll be able to replace the iMac (in terms of power) into something that is bearable to carry anywhere. Most of it's laptop parts, true, but there's a 3.5" HDD in there, and a larger powersupply, a more robust colling system, etc etc.

No, this is the new mini. They've been letting the mini stagnate for awhile now, I think they will bring this in as a cheap laptop (<$800) to replace the mini (Apple does love the laptops) and sell the "dock" as a monitor/keyboard/mouse kit as an "upgrade" to the mini.

It fits the mini's goals a bit, a cheap way for people to switch. In this case, they get a low cost, ultraportable machine to augment their main PC, and then they buy the upgrade that turns it into a replacement for that PC (and still lets them keep the ultraportable).

Also, I predict the "dock" will actually be a mini computer. It'll have a little ARM CPU in there and some flash ram for special build of "mobile OSX" and will run a Bonjour server to give you simple, no configuration access to all your files on it's built in harddrive (as well as stream them to your Apple TV, etc). It'll have some sort of Front Row style app that let's you handle configuration of the server as well as access the media directly (no HD, but if an iPod can play it, you can play it on the "brainless" dock).

If they gave you all of the 'mobile OSX' features on the dock side, it would actually be a pretty great solution for multi-user system sharing. Have basic web, email, and media access (basically everything you can do on an iPhone but with a bigger screen and a keyboard) on a dumb terminal, and a full featured sub-laptop that could be used independently or combined for greater functionality.

asphalt-proof
Jan 3, 2008, 10:46 AM
I think the important question is "What does Apple intend us to do with this tablet/subnotebook?" Apple always has a very compelling reason for making us 'need' a product they make. What would be the compelling reason here besides, "Hey look, I have two computers attached at the hip! Oooo."

X38
C'mon eSATA!!

Foo on eSATA!
Come on FW3200!

spazzcat
<snip image>

This would be very cool...

AgingGeek
Jan 3, 2008, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure what the advantage would be for a dock? Why not just an easy way to connect to an iMac? Oh... thats right... we already have wireless networking! However, it would be interesting if iMacs all came with the ability to have an ultra portable slip right into them (much like a giant SD card)... it would be like having two computers in one when "docked".

I think this is a strategic release of information by Apple to see what users like us all think and to get "buzz" going before MacWorld. It's just to throw us all off the path and keep us guessing.

What if the ultra portable could also be say, an iPhone with mucho larger flash storage. Then you'd be carrying your work environment with you and traveling easy, then plug it into a "dock" wherever you need to work... at an airport while waiting, in a hotel, at home. Think of it as a "pluggable core".

Maccus Aurelius
Jan 3, 2008, 10:47 AM
Maybe I'm alone on this, but I prefer standalone companion computers, rather than one full-fledged computer, and having the other be a large proprietary component that is useless without it. I'd rather deal with a little cable clutter and get a regular display that connects to the DVI or mini-DVI port if that was the case.

Jan 3, 2008, 10:48 AM

The mock up may be a little misleading in the way it is pictured. What I picture is an Imac desktop housing with a pocket in the back or no guts (if the slim sub-notbook is true, then slide your slim-sub notebookbook into where the imac internals would be), then you do not see the notebook itself and the front is actually is it owns LCD screen. (your notebook slides behind an LCD screen).

i0Nic
Jan 3, 2008, 10:48 AM
I would absolutely love this. I'd sell my macbook and cinema display straight away if this came out.

dongmin
Jan 3, 2008, 10:50 AM
Is there something I've missed - what about that patent application suggests they're duplicating lcd screens (probably the most $$ part of what we're talking about)?

Urm, what would be the point of having a dock if you're stuck using the 11" or 13" LCD of the ultraportable?

You WANT the dock to come with a minimum of a 20" LCD. And 500gb HD, optical drive, iSight, extra ports, integrated power supply, etc. That's practically a full computer.

FF_productions
Jan 3, 2008, 10:50 AM
Looks very interesting.

MrCrowbar
Jan 3, 2008, 10:51 AM
Well, first of all, Macbooks don't work well in closed lid mode. The air is sucked in from the keyboard and blown out to the back. When it's closed it gets warmer way faster. Also, once it's warm, the display glue starts melting so you get some ugly white spots on your display. So I think that patent would not work for regular laptops. Or the desktop housing could have a cold exhaust that goes right into the laptop's "blowhole" and one to carry away excess heat, so you could get a nice air flow in there.

I think screen real estate is valuable, I try to get as many pixels as I can get by attaching a large monitor to my Macbook so I have 2 screens. I would hate to "waste" a perfectly fine display by sliding it into something and using the other display. I'd rather have both side by side.

Also, would you like to get you Macbook all scratched up when sliding it in? :)

plumbingandtech
Jan 3, 2008, 11:00 AM
C'mon eSATA!!

I'll do you one better. BOOTABLE eSata!!!!

On ALL new macs!!! (I wish.)

Jan 3, 2008, 11:02 AM
The shell wouldn't be empty it would essentially look like today's iMac. You would still have the display and the notebook would slide behind it.

I think you're misreading my post. My reply is in response to a guy who proposed an "empty shell" design with a clear window space for a touchscreen tablet to slide into (see the OTHER mockup in an earlier post).

What Apple is proposing, right you are, is an ultraportable that slides into an iMac casing that does have a screen... which is slick. But that's not the proposition of the poster to whom I responded.

theman
Jan 3, 2008, 11:03 AM
looks great, but jeez, how much will that cost??? you buy a $2000+ computer and then you have to buy this thing, which looks like at least as much as an iMac... why not just get 2 computers, an imac and a macbook?

EagerDragon
Jan 3, 2008, 11:05 AM
Makes perfect sense to me.
A lot of people use a laptop on the road and connect the laptop at home to a large display. This could be even more useful with an ultra-portable that lacks the storage and screen real estate of its larger brothers.

Internal disks, external disks, printers, scanners, wired lan, large screen, full keyboard and mouse now integrade with the ultra-portable by just sliding the unit in. Sounds good.

Negative:

Dock and screen only ussable by the ultra, other computers can not interface
Dell screens are likely less expensive
Not as clean as an iMac but close.
May have heat issues as laptop components are already enclosed and are being re-enclosed.

Mr. DG
Jan 3, 2008, 11:07 AM
This is.... A Brilliant Idea.

....If it contains a larger, faster HD and a larger screen than the laptop, addressing the two main problems with portable computing. Processor speed is not so important - dont forget the current iMacs use laptop processors anyway.

Currently I have a Mac Mini and a Cinema Display. I was thinking of upgrading and I'm deciding between laptop and mac pro. I very much appreciate the power of desktops but the convenience of a laptop might win out in the end.

So this will be great; what would you rather - Slipping your laptop in and out of a specially designed dock; or having to plug in / unplug all your peripherals, monitor, power cable, mouse, keyboard every time you want to use it on the go?

EagerDragon
Jan 3, 2008, 11:09 AM
Now this all makes sense to me.

Apple will release the MacBook duo at MacWorld, with the iMac style duo Dock shipping soon after.

The new product will straddle the desktop and laptop product slots, leveraging the popularity of laptops and the popularity of the iMac form factor at the same time.

The dock is an elegant way to address adding a larger monitor, optical drive, and peripheral connections, all at once. It may also include a larger (traditional) hard drive, but won't need to add AirPort and BlueTooth.

This also lets them do something pretty clever... This can be both their midrange laptop (laptop between the Mac Book and Mac Book Pro in price) and their midrange desktop (laptop plus dock between the iMac and Mac Pro in total price). I wonder what size the monitor will be.

This dock won't be for the MacBook or MacBook pro, because a smaller and thinner laptop leaves more room for other components, and bigger ones have less need for added drives, peripherals, monitor, etc.

I wish I had the budget, as this is really perfect for me. I've been torn between a midrange iMac or MacBook, to replace my aging Power Mac dual-G5. This covers both bases, but will definitely be priced outside of my range. The fact that I'm drooling over it lends a certain weight to the rumor, as it may suggest this is an untapped market segment.

The fact that I'm drooling over it lends a certain weight to the rumor, as it may suggest this is an untapped market segment.

Maybe, I say that because a lot of us just seem to drool over anything Apple comes out with, LOL.

plumbingandtech
Jan 3, 2008, 11:13 AM
Just throwing this out there, the OQO has been shipping for a while with their dock. I heard the first one was about as fast as a PowerBook duo though ;)

Their current one is getting better reviews.

http://www.oqo.com/products/docking_station/index.html

Edit: Still with a VIA chip powering it, you don't buy one for speed that is for sure.

lazyrighteye
Jan 3, 2008, 11:14 AM
Wether or not we see this concept implemented at MWSF, I am 100% behind such things.

As someone in the market for a new Mac, I have long debated between portable and desktop. I love portables for their flexibility, but hate working on them for an extended period of time due to the cramped ergonomic scenario they present. On the flip side, I love desktops for their more comfortable working ergonomics, but hate their lack of mobility.
I'd like both: comfy & mobility.

This patent could lead to the answer to my particular conundrum.

Eraserhead
Jan 3, 2008, 11:14 AM
If Apple did this, I'd buy one, its the perfect solution.

Thanatoast
Jan 3, 2008, 11:16 AM
I only worry about the under-powered laptop graphics card having to push all those pixels.

If the dock comes with a bigger hard drive, an optical slot and a kick-ass video card, I've got my ultimate portbable/media/gaming setup.

Steve could actually trump his Jesus Phone revelation with this...

NomadicTy
Jan 3, 2008, 11:19 AM
I want one for my 15" mbp...:)

killmoms
Jan 3, 2008, 11:19 AM
I can see both the pros and cons to this arrangement. On the one hand, it's certainly very Apple: elegant and different than anything anyone has tried before. It's a clever way to make a pseudo-desktop out of a tiny laptop.

On the other hand, it's still a tiny laptop. Even without needing to drive its own display, it's certain that any ultra-portable is going to have a:

Slow processor (to keep heat and power-consumption down)
Limited RAM (same concerns)
Slow graphics (see above concerns again, if you're still confused)

You'd have an iMac-sized desktop with ultra-portable-sized power. Might not be a compromise people are willing to live with.

Not to mention that any ultra-portable is going to be expensive. Beyond a certain point, miniaturization costs MORE than "bigger." To whoever said that the ultra-portable might replace the Mac mini, it won't. Any ultra-portable is going to be around $2,000, especially if they have to include an external optical drive in the package. You pay for the engineering required to fit a whole computer into a tiny space. Adding this dock (with its own LCD and whatever other logic is required to make it work, perhaps a hard drive as well) will cost as much as a Mac Pro, probably more. That's a lot of money for a desktop that only performs as well as an ultra-portable notebook.

Ultimately I think it's a neat idea but I can't imagine it having that much appeal beyond the sexiness of the idea itself. Which, admittedly, is a damn sexy idea. :cool:

EagerDragon
Jan 3, 2008, 11:21 AM
I could see Apple doing it, but there's no way they'll be able to replace the iMac (in terms of power) into something that is bearable to carry anywhere. Most of it's laptop parts, true, but there's a 3.5" HDD in there, and a larger powersupply, a more robust colling system, etc etc.

No, this is the new mini. They've been letting the mini stagnate for awhile now, I think they will bring this in as a cheap laptop (<$800) to replace the mini (Apple does love the laptops) and sell the "dock" as a monitor/keyboard/mouse kit as an "upgrade" to the mini.

It fits the mini's goals a bit, a cheap way for people to switch. In this case, they get a low cost, ultraportable machine to augment their main PC, and then they buy the upgrade that turns it into a replacement for that PC (and still lets them keep the ultraportable).

Also, I predict the "dock" will actually be a mini computer. It'll have a little ARM CPU in there and some flash ram for special build of "mobile OSX" and will run a Bonjour server to give you simple, no configuration access to all your files on it's built in harddrive (as well as stream them to your Apple TV, etc). It'll have some sort of Front Row style app that let's you handle configuration of the server as well as access the media directly (no HD, but if an iPod can play it, you can play it on the "brainless" dock).

If they gave you all of the 'mobile OSX' features on the dock side, it would actually be a pretty great solution for multi-user system sharing. Have basic web, email, and media access (basically everything you can do on an iPhone but with a bigger screen and a keyboard) on a dumb terminal, and a full featured sub-laptop that could be used independently or combined for greater functionality.

Nice idea, but to replace "the PC" the "mini" would have to interface with a video card in the enclosure. A lot of PC users play games.

rtdunham
Jan 3, 2008, 11:23 AM
I think it's a great idea, a modern version of the old Duo dock that swallowed that much larger laptop. With a 10 or 11" ultraportable the thickness of an iPod, or at most the thickness of an iPhone, and the sort of dock described in the patent, apple would have again released a paradigm-shifting piece of consumer electronics: Tiny on the road, but usable (especially with a screen with the res of the iPhone), and at home you've got a "laptop" with a 20 or 23 inch screen, no clutter on the desk, added hard drive storage, maybe more ram, any of the things that can't be built into the ultraportable. Where's the flaw in that ointment?

NOTE: "killmom" notes this solution would create a desktop with critical shortcomings:
Slow processor (to keep heat and power-consumption down)
(BUT "surferfromuk" has noted "A 'next-gen' sub-notebook is going to be capable of running a 2.0 ghz plus core duo which is a plenty fast enough chip.")
Limited RAM (same concerns)
Slow graphics (see above concerns again, if you're still confused)

So one down, two to go! (others have expressed concern about heat: it'd be easy for the dock to have cooling solutions). And as others have suggested, I'd want several of these docks--one for my kentucky home, one for my place in Florida; i can imagine lots of folks wanting one for home and one for office, or even two, for different places in a single home. It beats my previous solution that involved a laptop, a Mac Pro in florida, and a mini in Kentucky, with all the sync-ing problems that entailed.

But i'd like to add a fourth "challenge" to the list above: Syncing easily between the dock's HDs and the ultraportable's memory. But think about this: we've all been worried about getting 64GB or 128GB of sram into the ultraportable. With a docking solution like this, woudln't 32GB do? And wouldn't that greatly reduce the problems of pricing a two-piece product?

Regardless, i want to urge readers to imagine an UPMC smaller than we've conventionally anticipated, even something approaching tablet size, if this kind of solution is brought to market.

lcm123
So, what happen when the dock is not being used, will it looks like an imac with an empty display shell? :rolleyes:

salmon
What a cool idea, if done right. I remember 5 or so years ago, IBM made a prototype of something like this - the core of the computer, ie CPU, memory, HD, was a tiny module that could be plugged into different form factors based on the usage you wanted. The capabilities of the two devices seem like they would be so dramatically different though, that I don't see how this would be useful. And if it was useful, how it would be affordable. Maybe the desktop could offload low priority threads to the cpu on the mini-device or something.

The ideal computing set up I would like is a nice desktop (like an iMac) for doing real work and keeping all of my camera docks, printers and other peripherals plugged in, with a light 1kg tablet for portable computing.

The tablet would have a 7-8" touch screen, real keyboard, dual mode display (for ebooks), fantastic calendar software (so it can act as a very efficient day timer), long battery life, syncing as easy as with the iPod. Sell me this whole setup for ~2K, and I'd buy it tomorrow.

Or basically, the offspring of an iPod and an OLPC laptop that go and mate together. :)

Right now I have a Macbook, which is reasonably OK, but not my idea computing nirvana. It's too heavy, no touch screen, too big to take everywhere, etc.

Nenita
Jan 3, 2008, 11:26 AM
come on guys at least read the complete patent application. it talks about a heatsink and fans to cool the UP, it talks about a complete set of ports that an UP would not be able to carry like mini dvi, fire wire usb audio in and out, it talks about built in back up storage and antenna for wifi, it talks about bluetooth for the keyboard and mouse and other devises, it talks about a mic and webcam. this thing may not be sold separately... this thing may be a combo deal... have you guys thought about that? $1500-$2000 and you get both?
thats a sweet deal if you ask me...

JasonElise1983
Jan 3, 2008, 11:32 AM
I alwasy assumed it was a combo deal. One isn't worth it without the other. Just my thoughts though.

-JE

Booga
Jan 3, 2008, 11:34 AM
I love that Apple is coming up with a docking station. It's the biggest thing (along with dual-monitor-out) keeping me from buying a MacBook.

But what, does Apple own stock in LCD production companies? I *have* monitors! I like them! Should I dump them in a landfill now because Apple wants to sell me another one?

Here's to hoping that that's the "Best" configuration, and that there's a "Good" configuration that's just a dock.

EagerDragon
Jan 3, 2008, 11:34 AM
come on guys at least read the complete patent application. it talks about a heatsink and fans to cool the UP, it talks about a complete set of ports that an UP would not be able to carry like mini dvi, fire wire usb audio in and out, it talks about built in back up storage and antenna for wifi, it talks about bluetooth for the keyboard and mouse and other devises, it talks about a mic and webcam. this thing may not be sold separately... this thing may be a combo deal... have you guys thought about that? $1500-$2000 and you get both?
thats a sweet deal if you ask me...

Sounds like $2,500 to $3,000 to me as a combo.

ilogic
Jan 3, 2008, 11:35 AM
I've been thinking about this forever!!!

I would buy one in a heartbeat...

I have so many peripherals, eyeTV cable box, PS2, PSPs, not to mention my Ipod and iphone docks, and other equipment and i hate being tied down to my work area and iMac, i want to sit on the couch sometimes!!

i've been thinking of getting a macbook with a 3rd party dock... but this.. this is nextgen computer docking, i really hope its not limited to the macbook mini...

Perhaps the 24 inch screen can accomadate a macbook...

Personally, this kind of ingenuity is inspiring and it might look impractical now, it could work so well...

I can see it now, very small magnets on the ports inside the imac will snap onto the ports macbook, when you undock, you press a button that flips the inside magnets and repells the macbook out, :D

5 apples for this one...
:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

koobcamuk
Jan 3, 2008, 11:37 AM
It must have a DVI Connector in there or something to allow the laptop to connect to the screen.

seems like the laptop is the screen.

plumbingandtech
Jan 3, 2008, 11:40 AM
seems like the laptop is the screen.

Look at the Gizmodo mockup. It would have to have smaller screen on the notebook with the bigger LCD being in the base.

Otherwise we are going to get 13" lcd docking stations or 20" notebooks.

macEfan
Jan 3, 2008, 11:40 AM
Wow the design looks so similar to the g5 imacs.... and it definitely reminds me of the old PowerBook duo's... they had no optical drives and connected to docks as well!

erockerboy
Jan 3, 2008, 11:41 AM
muy interesante!

things definitely picking up around here ahead of mwsf.....

raccoontail
Jan 3, 2008, 11:42 AM
The problem with the original duo was its painfully slow speed negated the convenience of the design. The original duo dock even had a slot for a math coprocessor to try and speed it up. Now that it's 15 years later even a subnote spends more time waiting for its user than vice versa, I hope we see Apple bring this great idea back.

What professional wouldn't want a thin subnotebook with no moving parts for travel and then be able to come back to the office and slide it into a 24" screen/dock with a bigger hard drive, faster video card, and optical drive? Yes you are buying two displays, but I can't imagine a more elegant or functional personal computer design given current technology. You get what you pay for.

white pilgrim
Jan 3, 2008, 11:45 AM
There has been some speculation around the internet that the patent could be tied to the rumored Apple ultra-portable. While the timing of the publication is interesting, the application itself remains generic in nature, and appears to be applicable to any notebook computer.

If it works with a slot, I can't imagine how my 17" mbp will ever get in.:)

Jiddick ExRex
Jan 3, 2008, 11:46 AM
I am sorry if this has already been posted, I just got some ideas that excited me about this old patent.

I can see this working if:

- The iMac slot is an iMac with parts and everything. The lack of power of the ultra portable would need to be made up by another computer behind the screen. The iMac would sport a FW3200 or a bootable eSata port that a bigger port on the side of the laptop would connect to, along with DVI and sound.
- Airflow and heat in some way could be improved.
- The loss of a display somehow could be dealt with (many pro users use this and this patent kind of aims toward that group).

synth3tik
Jan 3, 2008, 11:47 AM
Looks a little silly to me.

Clive At Five
Jan 3, 2008, 11:50 AM
http://www.macdailynews.com/gfx/article_gfx/080103_patent_app_monitor_dock.gif

Can someone get this guy a straight edge?

Honestly... a free-hand drawing?

-Clive

mixel
Jan 3, 2008, 11:53 AM
If Apple could come up with a standard form-factor for a mini tablet AND a super portable they could stick a slot like this in the "unused" side of an iMac like a giant PCMCIA/Expresscard slot. They could make little adaptors to bung iPods/iPhones in there too.. An inbuilt apple multi-dock thing!

Would likely never happen but it would be hilarious. :D

rmtwrkr
Jan 3, 2008, 11:53 AM
I have been thinking for a while about the whole 'putting one machine inside another' for ages. In some cases it makes sense, and I think that this particular idea (ultraslim macbook inside much larger display) is a good one.

But I have also been thinking of another idea: docking the iPhone into a much larger display coupled with keyboard. The power is there for standard tasks (word processor, emails, web etc).

Take a look (if you like) at my blog where I discuss it in greater detail:
http://rmtwrkr.wordpress.com

Oh btw, a long time lurker here (believe it or not, since 1998!)..always reading the forums, but rarely entering into discussion...till now (my new years resolution: engage more often!)

Aquis
Jan 3, 2008, 11:54 AM
If it was like the Gizmondo mock-up, I would definitely get one. The actual dock would for me ideally have a 24" screen, one or even better - two 3.5" hard disk bays and an optical drive (perhaps a Blu-ray one?) When plugged in, your MacBook nano (or whatever it may be) would be charged up. Also, the dock itself could be put into Firewire target disk mode and have a DVI-in for other computers.

My only concerns are that heating may be a problem, but I guess the dock could cool the actual bay down somehow, and also the problem with speed and graphics. Are there no ways of having a processor and graphics card inside the actual dock to be used by the ultra-portable when inserted?

It would be even cooler to have iPod / iPhone ports in there too...

7on
Jan 3, 2008, 11:54 AM

-Clive

I even freehand better!

twoodcc
Jan 3, 2008, 11:55 AM
now this sounds like something apple would do. and i bet it only works with the new ultra-portable

sk8ordie
Jan 3, 2008, 11:57 AM
I would be onboard if the iMac "dock" had a fast intel chip, hd, optical, ports etc. This would have to cost at least $3K with the MacSlim.

If it soley relied on the MacSlim for proccessing power it would be to slow imo.

pjrobertson
Jan 3, 2008, 11:59 AM
Hmm...I've been wanting a docking station for my MacBook for ages. This seems perfect, but unlikely.
How would you turn your MacBook / Pro on? You wouldn't want to have to take the laptop out, open it and press the ON button, close it and slide it back in....
You'd have to have some kind of system built into the laptop which they currently laptops don't have.

CWallace
Jan 3, 2008, 12:00 PM
The problem with this concept is that once docked, you have a nice big, iMac-like computer with the performance of an ultra-portable...Do you really want an iMac-sized computer that runs like a low-end MacBook (or worse?!)?

In such a configuration, the "iMac" part is just the separate display and docking station many people would be connecting their "MacSubBook" into, anyway. So you wouldn't buy it for the performance, but the form factor of the notebook part and the dock/display.

ob81
Jan 3, 2008, 12:06 PM
If the dock has slots for harddrives, you will have the same issues that you are having now with an iMac and a laptop. This will not be expensive. This is a solution to get those cheap consumers on board. Makes it pointless to have a Mac Mini in the line-up as well.......

killmoms
Jan 3, 2008, 12:08 PM
Hmm...I've been wanting a docking station for my MacBook for ages. This seems perfect, but unlikely.
How would you turn your MacBook / Pro on? You wouldn't want to have to take the laptop out, open it and press the ON button, close it and slide it back in....
You'd have to have some kind of system built into the laptop which they currently laptops don't have.

Wait. You turn yours off? :confused:

CWallace
Jan 3, 2008, 12:10 PM
How would you turn your MacBook / Pro on? You wouldn't want to have to take the laptop out, open it and press the ON button, close it and slide it back in...

The "iMac" part would have a power button that would turn on the docked laptop inside. No need to remove the laptop and turn it on with it's power button.

My HP docking stations do it, so I am sure Apple can figure it out. :p

MikeELL
Jan 3, 2008, 12:12 PM

-Clive

Heh,

I always wondered why the ports on the back of the iMac were switched to go along the bottom, instead of vertically like in my 2GHz 20inch model - I mean they are easier to reach in my model - maybe this is why...

That would also give an indication of both how long they've been thinking about doing this, and their seriousness about actually doing it.

lewisg1212
Jan 3, 2008, 12:12 PM
this would be perfect for my 15in macbook pro, i was going to buy the new slim line and an imac, but this would solve it.

they had better make one for each existing notebook, would be out of order if it was just for the new one.

you reckon this is actually gunna happen? and is so, jan?

JasonElise1983
Jan 3, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hmm...I've been wanting a docking station for my MacBook for ages.

http://www.bookendzdocks.com/

-JE

Jiddick ExRex
Jan 3, 2008, 12:21 PM
http://www.bookendzdocks.com/

-JE

That doesn't really qualify as a dock, as a dock usually only has one connector. This just savages the laptop more than it should.

plumbingandtech
Jan 3, 2008, 12:23 PM

Easy.

The connector it will have to connect to the motherboard will also be able to access all the itnernals of the subnotebook such as power.

surferfromuk
Jan 3, 2008, 12:25 PM
This makes perfect sense to me and is a real winner ;

A dock at work and a dock at home - the 'brain' travels around in between them.

The dock is effectively your 'big screen' with some extra ports and maybe a high end graphics card.

A 'next-gen' sub-notebook is going to be capable of running a 2.0 ghz plus core duo which is a plenty fast enough chip.

zioxide
Jan 3, 2008, 12:33 PM
Lol that dock in the iMac would be the worst idea ever. Can you imagine paying $1000 for a dock for your laptop?

And inserting the laptop in to that casing like that is just going to be like putting it in an oven.. it's going to overheat way too easily.

plumbingandtech
Jan 3, 2008, 12:35 PM
Lol that dock in the iMac would be the worst idea ever. Can you imagine paying $1000 for a dock for your laptop?

The PowerBook Duo was very popular. Maybe this just is not targeted to you. Business people back then and now will have no problem with the price as it offers two in one computer possibly better then anything on the market.

rckstwrz
Jan 3, 2008, 12:36 PM
this has Touch Screen written all over it.

lpshean
Jan 3, 2008, 12:39 PM
I would actually get one now!

But that leaves to be said as to how it really works. What will the graphics be like? Would the information only come from the macbook's HD and someone through blackmagic, the content is synchronised with an on board graphics chip so that it doesn't require the macbook to mirror the image basically?

How will the macbook be cooled down if it's essentially working in a clamshell mode?

But it would be cool if there was a niche 2+1 product like this where Apple sells this iMac looking desktop device which is perfect but if you want on the go computing, just slide out an actual laptop included with it. And when your back, just slide it back in and any changes and stuff will be synched to the solid state HD on the iMac docks?

All just seems so interesting. Well done Apple.

CrazyWingman
Jan 3, 2008, 12:40 PM

Someone's probably suggested this a few pages on, but I don't have time to read through all the comments at the moment. A thought struck me, though:

Assuming that the undocked base station would have a monitor and hard disk, what if Apple were to add just enough extra hardware to make it effectively an AppleTV? Then you've got a completely usable TV, with content loaded on it, ready for viewing while you use your portable for something else.

Sure, it's a pricey dedicated solution, but it does make the base station less of a space-waste.

currentinterest
Jan 3, 2008, 12:43 PM
One can envision a new Mini, no display etc., that slides into the same space as the laptop. It would allow for people to purchase an inexpensive computer and then upgrade to an iMac like device once they have fallen in live with it.

! V !
Jan 3, 2008, 12:45 PM
So the Ultra Portable is basically a light computer/flash drive. And when docked to this iMac Dock will not only double it processing power, it will double or more the storage capacity, etc...

Interesting, however what would the cost be.

LCD screen have come down in price as OLED screen are just around the corner.

Point being is that you will pay a premium for the Ultra Notebook and then the cost of an iMac as well.

Unless the Ultra Portable is similar to the EeePC ($400) and this iMac Dock is ($800) seems the only price point that might work.

I will stick with my 17" Hi-Res MBP for now. :)

phungy
Jan 3, 2008, 12:59 PM
I like the idea, can't wait for the final product (if it ever comes out).

mtrctyjoe
Jan 3, 2008, 12:59 PM
Bold prediction:

This is it folks.... makes all the sence in the world. Wouldn't it be great... if you could connect the tablet to the iMac docking station via WiFi from anywhere???? That is what I think we are going to see..... AWESOME!

dabirdwell
Jan 3, 2008, 01:00 PM
I'm wondering if Apple may not have worked with Intel on some new performance management features that will allow them to include a more powerful chip than we expect in the UltraPortable. If so, it could match an iMac in performance when docked, and when undocked it could shut down a core and lower it's own voltage to a ULV state, giving the battery life people are going to expect from a device like this.

Possible?

JGowan
Jan 3, 2008, 01:00 PM
awesome. me want.

iPhonePhan
Jan 3, 2008, 01:05 PM

I'm not sure if you're quite catching onto the point, but the iMac, as indicated in the patent application and very well imagined above is NOT a whole new line of hardware, but in fact a revision of the current hardware.

Eg., ALL iMacs will have the ability to become portable since Apple is fully aware that people are gravitating more and more toward laptops and mobile devices. This is kinda like the whole "Every MacBook or MBP comes with a remote and a camera".

Ya get it? :D

This would really set Apple apart from the pack. This could potentially put them into whole new markets that were previously unattainable. I am very eager to see this come to light as being a standard feature on all desktop iMacs.

MikeELL
Jan 3, 2008, 01:17 PM
This is it folks.... makes all the sence in the world. Wouldn't it be great... if you could connect the tablet to the iMac docking station via WiFi from anywhere???? That is what I think we are going to see..... AWESOME!

Maybe macrumors (or you if you're feeling generous) will pay me money when it comes true. Not that I will know :P I'm an Aussie who's going to be in the middle of Patagonia, South America on the 15th... I have no idea how long it will be before I get to watch the keynote... arrrrgh!

Ah well *cough* hiking through pristine glaciers will have to do...

zioxide
Jan 3, 2008, 01:18 PM
The PowerBook Duo was very popular. Maybe this just is not targeted to you. Business people back then and now will have no problem with the price as it offers two in one computer possibly better then anything on the market.

There's a difference between a $100 port replicator/dock and a $1000 dock with integrated monitor.

There's no way in hell a business is going to go buy a bunch of these $1000 imac dock things because then you'd have to buy new ones when you bought new laptops in 3 years.

With a separate dock and monitor, you keep all the monitors and just have to buy new docks for $100.

This is just another one of the hundreds of patents that Apple has filed that are never going to materialize in to anything.

numlock
Jan 3, 2008, 01:20 PM
dont a lot of people use the docking stations with an extra display? So they are using their laptop display and the extra one.

Am i wrong in saying that this dosent offer that?

! V !
Jan 3, 2008, 01:22 PM
I'm wondering if Apple may not have worked with Intel on some new performance management features that will allow them to include a more powerful chip than we expect in the UltraPortable. If so, it could match an iMac in performance when docked, and when undocked it could shut down a core and lower it's own voltage to a ULV state, giving the battery life people are going to expect from a device like this.

Possible?

You idea does seem plausible, if that was the case then all you need to do is factor in a 20 or 24" LCD screen in an iMac shell, options actually upgrading the HDD and RAM on a Laptop with Desktop components. And the processor either tunes up or down when docked or undocked.

Interesting...it will merge the desktop and mobility line (synergy). :D

! V !
Jan 3, 2008, 01:24 PM
dont a lot of people use the docking stations with an extra display? So they are using their laptop display and the extra one.

Am i wrong in saying that this dosent offer that?

Various types of uses for a person to dock they notebook, extra ports, battery-pack, larger screen, cooling, etc...

All this is a clean (and appearance wise) solution to what is presently on the market. :)

notjustjay
Jan 3, 2008, 01:27 PM
In such a configuration, the "iMac" part is just the separate display and docking station many people would be connecting their "MacSubBook" into, anyway. So you wouldn't buy it for the performance, but the form factor of the notebook part and the dock/display.

Well, that was sort of my point.. if I wanted the form factor of the notebook part and the dock/display, then I'd buy... the notebook, and an iMac. And be able to run both independently.

I don't see this laptop+dock combo as being significantly cheaper than laptop+iMac, given the basic iMac is already pretty cheap. For those saying the dock would include some sort of secondary hard drive storage, more ports, etc. to augment the laptop, that would bring the cost even closer. And an iMac would still run circles around the performance of an ultraportable.

deputy_doofy
Jan 3, 2008, 01:30 PM
I have been thinking for a while about the whole 'putting one machine inside another' for ages. In some cases it makes sense, and I think that this particular idea (ultraslim macbook inside much larger display) is a good one.

But I have also been thinking of another idea: docking the iPhone into a much larger display coupled with keyboard. The power is there for standard tasks (word processor, emails, web etc).

I like that idea. Docking the iPhone to such a thing and it becoming a "desktop" solution. The desktop shell would provide the physical keyboard, a mouse, large monitor, hard drive space, and perhaps a boost to graphics and CPU as well. I'd highly consider something like that in the future.

CWallace
Jan 3, 2008, 01:34 PM
I don't see this laptop+dock combo as being significantly cheaper than laptop+iMac, given the basic iMac is already pretty cheap. For those saying the dock would include some sort of secondary hard drive storage, more ports, etc. to augment the laptop, that would bring the cost even closer.

For some, form factor is everything. We know a "MacSubBook" is going to be inferior in display size, capacity, and performance to a MacBook, to say nothing of a MacBook Pro, but that won't stop people from spending equal or even more then a MacBook Pro for it because they value the size and weight more then performance or capacity.

MikeELL
Jan 3, 2008, 01:35 PM
Maybe macrumors (or you if you're feeling generous) will pay me money when it comes true. Not that I will know :P I'm an Aussie who's going to be in the middle of Patagonia, South America on the 15th... I have no idea how long it will be before I get to watch the keynote... arrrrgh!

Ah well *cough* hiking through pristine glaciers will have to do...

haha cancel that last post - I actually just looked up the place where my tour has me staying that night and it has free WIFI and a great view :)
http://www.cauquenesdenimez.com.ar

Now Mr Jobs it's up to you to keep my eyes on my laptop screen :)
I'm sure you'll manage.

dabirdwell
Jan 3, 2008, 01:36 PM
You idea does seem plausible, if that was the case then all you need to do is factor in a 20 or 24" LCD screen in an iMac shell, options actually upgrading the HDD and RAM on a Laptop with Desktop components. And the processor either tunes up or down when docked or undocked.

Interesting...it will merge the desktop and mobility line (synergy). :D

Intel already sees power-efficiency as the way forward for all core architectures, including those for portables as well as desktops. I bet Apple has found the sweet spot (whatever it is right now) in Intel's processor lineup for maximum performance/maximum tunabillity and ordered a boatload. What would be great is if Intel could implement more advanced power management on today's existing chips. Then maybe Apple could get low-priced commodity processors (not true ULV) and include the new software to allow self-tuning.

/ramble

pjarvi
Jan 3, 2008, 01:36 PM
Considering the ridiculous price Apple charges for their displays, this would have to be for a tablet Mac, or else it will simply be too expensive. Unless they plan on dropping the prices on their displays to normal market prices... :confused:

FunkyELF
Jan 3, 2008, 01:39 PM
That is certainly a Different way of doing things. It must have a DVI Connector in there or something to allow the laptop to connect to the screen.

Why can't you just use your iMac as an external display for your ultra-portable?
...oh yeah, it doesn't have a DVI connection!
The lack of a DVI connection is what stopped me from buying an iMac.
That thing would make a perfectly good display in 4 years when the computer is obsolete. But no, apple wants you to throw it away. Not very green is it?

I could imagine some mac zealots replacing one iMac with a new one every two years....what a waste.

Why no DVI input on an iMac? Are they afraid that they would sell less of their flat panel monitors? Are they afraid that someone would use an iMac as a display for their Dell laptop?

I'm just picturing someone with a Mac Mini with a display, an iMac, and this new ultra portable with the docking station. 3 displays (not counting the laptop's built in display) when you should only need 1 with a KVM.

They're saying this will take up less desk space?...it will use up more desk space!

The iMac desperately needs DVI / VGA input.
Chances are that this docking station won't even have DVI or VGA input and will only work with apple portables when they're inside the thing.

tarhunni
Jan 3, 2008, 01:53 PM
Well this is what i think that they will do:

I think we can all safely assume that the new ultra-portable will have intergrated graphics and a relatively small storage well then i think that the dock will inc. a

Large display at least 20"
a bigger harddrive
a good graphics card (configurable)
an optical drive
isight and keyboard and mouse
and the the range of ports

also havent we all heard about these rediculosly small processors intel's releasing, then the new ultra-portability can have a really gd processor, but compromise on graphics until u slot it in the mac-shell where it then uses the graphics card in there. Also i think we should all stop worry about overheating since this is apple were talking about and they have pro industrial designers who will work something out.

If the above is true, i would snap one up straight away!!!!!:D

RoboCop001
Jan 3, 2008, 02:00 PM
I like that idea. Docking the iPhone to such a thing and it becoming a "desktop" solution. The desktop shell would provide the physical keyboard, a mouse, large monitor, hard drive space, and perhaps a boost to graphics and CPU as well. I'd highly consider something like that in the future.

So when you get a phone call would the whole thing become a phone with the supposedly built-in speakers and microphone?

Nenita
Jan 3, 2008, 02:03 PM
Why can't you just use your iMac as an external display for your ultra-portable?
That thing would make a perfectly good display in 4 years when the computer is obsolete. But no, apple wants you to throw it away. Not very green is it?

I could imagine some mac zealots replacing one iMac with a new one every two years....what a waste.

Why no DVI input on an iMac? Are they afraid that they would sell less of their flat panel monitors? Are they afraid that someone would use an iMac as a display for their Dell laptop?

I'm just picturing someone with a Mac Mini with a display, an iMac, and this new ultra portable with the docking station. 3 displays (not counting the laptop's built in display) when you should only need 1 with a KVM.

They're saying this will take up less desk space?...it will use up more desk space!

Chances are that this docking station won't even have DVI or VGA input and will only work with apple portables when they're inside the thing.

you just don't get it. at all. 1st of all the imac has a longer life spand than a regular wintel machine I know people that still are using a G3 blue bondy iMac for basic internet, online banking, casual gaming, IM and basic word processing. so you may be the one that isn't green; have you taught about donating your computer when it no longer serves your needs? and if for you apple displays are to expensive then buy some one else's its a free market.

make sure you read the patent and at least glance over previous post this thing isnt a tablet, it has a display and ports and many other things that will complement the UP ... if it comes to market. :cool:

FunkyELF
Jan 3, 2008, 02:06 PM

What you just described sir is a computer!
How would that be different than using a cable to hook your iphone up to a computer?

granex
Jan 3, 2008, 02:08 PM
This kind of design seems perfect for college students who can take their ultra portable to class for notes and then plug it back into the dock in the dorm room or apartment for increased ease of use.

I really want an ultra portable after spending the last year morning the loss of my 12" PowerBook G4 in favor of a the very heavy 15" MacBook Pro. I don't think that I would go for the dock combination for professional work because I suspect that it would be too underpowered for the day to day stuff that I need to do. There are a number of faculty who try to use their notebooks in this way already, so it will be good for them, assuming that that dock has a large hard drive.

plumbingandtech
Jan 3, 2008, 02:09 PM
There's a difference between a $100 port replicator/dock and a $1000 dock with integrated monitor.

There's no way in hell a business is going to go buy a bunch of these $1000 imac dock things because then you'd have to buy new ones when you bought new laptops in 3 years.

With a separate dock and monitor, you keep all the monitors and just have to buy new docks for $100.

This is just another one of the hundreds of patents that Apple has filed that are never going to materialize in to anything.

The Duo setup was more then $100. Go back and do some more research on what business people / users paid for their setup.

Jan 3, 2008, 02:11 PM
Well this is what i think that they will do:

I think we can all safely assume that the new ultra-portable will have intergrated graphics and a relatively small storage well then i think that the dock will inc. a

Large display at least 20"
a bigger harddrive
a good graphics card (configurable)
an optical drive
isight and keyboard and mouse
and the the range of ports

also havent we all heard about these rediculosly small processors intel's releasing, then the new ultra-portability can have a really gd processor, but compromise on graphics until u slot it in the mac-shell where it then uses the graphics card in there. Also i think we should all stop worry about overheating since this is apple were talking about and they have pro industrial designers who will work something out.

If the above is true, i would snap one up straight away!!!!!:D

I LIKE YOUR SCENERIO!!!! :D And as for the overheat issue - make the back panel have entirely slotted and put in a few fans on front and side. The best tower case I had for a PC had the following:

1. 2 fans on the front that blew inward (had a removable washable dust filter).
2. One Fan on top that blew outward (since heat rises).
3. One Fan on the side that blew inward.
4. Two fans on the back that blew outward.

Talk about air circulation...... I am sure Apple can do it!!!! :)

FunkyELF
Jan 3, 2008, 02:19 PM
you just don't get it. at all. 1st of all the imac has a longer life spand than a regular wintel machine I know people that still are using a G3 blue bondy iMac for basic internet, online banking, casual gaming, IM and basic word processing. so you may be the one that isn't green;

1 year ago I put together a new computer, before that my newest computer was one I put together in 2001.
I got 6 years out of the thing and I still use it today. It runs Linux with Compiz-Fusion just fine. Only reason I got a newer one was because my AMD Thunderbird 1.3GHz wasn't fast enough (for me anyway) to encode video and I wanted to run MythTV, and it didn't have the right instruction set to run the latest proprietary adobe video editing software.

Here's the point....when I built my new computer, I didn't need to buy a new monitor. The one I was using before that was perfectly good.

Do you understand?

I understand that you can use a computer for more than 4 years if you use a real operating system like OSX or Linux....in fact I have done it. Like I said, 6 years and going strong.

Do you understand that displays should be able to last longer?

Do you understand that while computers "can" last that long, some people working with RAW digital photos or animation or other power hungry apps actually replace their computers every 2 years while their display works perfectly fine.

CWallace
Jan 3, 2008, 02:25 PM
But going into the iMac you understand you can't upgrade the CPU or GPU (period) nor the HDD/Optical drive (without serious effort).

So if you really feel the need to leverage your investment in monitors and other internal peripherals, you can save money (at the expense of performance) and get a Mac Mini or you can spend more money (and get more performance) with the Mac Pro.

If the iMac was the only Macintosh desktop on offer, I'd understand the angst.

But it isn't. It just happens to be the best value for many folks, even with the drawbacks. And one of those drawbacks is lack of internal upgrading (outside of RAM).

jouster
Jan 3, 2008, 02:44 PM

Nope. It's a legally required release of information by the Patent Office.

deputy_doofy
Jan 3, 2008, 02:48 PM
What you just described sir is a computer!
How would that be different than using a cable to hook your iphone up to a computer?

Well, this is why I'm not out making patents. :p

I see it as a hybrid device that could boost the iPhone's own power. I suppose they could both be fully working devices that, when combined, becomes more powerful by feeding off each other somehow. Maybe I'm in the realm of sci-fi.

And to the other poster that asked how the "phone" would work, it sure could use the speaker and microphone of the shell. Video conferencing right over the phone, in fact.

Chris14
Jan 3, 2008, 02:51 PM
Looks interesting, although seems a little impractical if you ask me.
I'm sure apple will make it work though, they also seem to! :D

sthpark7791
Jan 3, 2008, 03:04 PM
Seems interesting but a bit old school. I was hoping for something like this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2110/2164010206_8131a187e5.jpg?v=0
(http://flickr.com/photos/8402955@N06/2164010206/)

side view (http://flickr.com/photos/8402955@N06/2164015632/in/photostream/)

jouster
Jan 3, 2008, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure if you're quite catching onto the point, but the iMac, as indicated in the patent application and very well imagined above is NOT a whole new line of hardware, but in fact a revision of the current hardware.

Eg., ALL iMacs will have the ability to become portable since Apple is fully aware that people are gravitating more and more toward laptops and mobile devices. This is kinda like the whole "Every MacBook or MBP comes with a remote and a camera".

This would really set Apple apart from the pack. This could potentially put them into whole new markets that were previously unattainable. I am very eager to see this come to light as being a standard feature on all desktop iMacs.

Well, that would be more desireable. So in other words if you decide to buy an iMac you get this docking functionality built in, but you are not _required_ to buy the slate/tablet/subnote/whatever-it-is to have a useful device?

iPhonePhan
Jan 3, 2008, 03:21 PM
Well, that would be more desireable. So in other words if you decide to buy an iMac you get this docking functionality built in, but you are not _required_ to buy the slate/tablet/subnote/whatever-it-is to have a useful device?

Bingo :D

airfang
Jan 3, 2008, 03:24 PM
One thing for sure is currently models of MacBook or MacBook Pro would have nothing to do with this dock...for they don't have any kind of connection ports

I speculate this docking system is for the new ultra-slim MacBook :apple:

iPhonePhan
Jan 3, 2008, 03:30 PM
One thing for sure is currently models of MacBook or MacBook Pro would have nothing to do with this dock...for they don't have any kind of connection ports

I speculate this docking system is for the new ultra-slim MacBook :apple:

"Macbook Mini comes included with iMac. Not sold separately."

If such is the case, there will quickly be a small eBay Black Market for just the Macbook Mini" lol :rolleyes:

Mac OS X Ocelot
Jan 3, 2008, 03:35 PM
That seems absolutely retarded. Sometimes I wonder if Apple submits dumb patents to throw the rumormongers off.

Masquerade
Jan 3, 2008, 03:42 PM

-Clive[/QUOTE]

that's same guy for the wiggled icons for sure!

digitalbiker
Jan 3, 2008, 03:46 PM
Just at a first glance it looks dumb. I don't want my laptop hanging off the side of my monitor, sorry.

I would be extremely happy if Apple just provided a simple dock that allowed one connection to pass keyboard, monitor, sound, ethernet, etc.

It has always irked me that Apple labeled the MacBookPro / PowerBook as a professional laptop but never provided a professional dock option. IBM, DELL, SONY, all have dock options but not Apple.

RBR2
Jan 3, 2008, 03:48 PM
The is a Rube Goldberg solution in search of a problem and not at all practical.

ckurowic
Jan 3, 2008, 04:07 PM

-Clive

that's same guy for the wiggled icons for sure![/QUOTE]

Pay attention to detail. The laptop is NOT YET fully inserted. Look at the icon on the screen. It has a picture of the laptop and an arrow meaning insert.

rstansby
Jan 3, 2008, 04:13 PM
From Gizmodo this morning: Apple Docking Patent Works Perfectly with Ultra Slim MacBook (http://gizmodo.com/339918/apple-docking-patent-works-perfectly-with-ultra+slim-macbook).
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/2008/01/thumb463x_imac-dock.jpg

I don't know if Apple will ever make it, but this mock-up would finally be a laptop I might buy. I would have all the functionality (large screen, real keyboard...) of my iMac, with a small laptop to take on the go. No sync required.

Some people don't need a super fast processor. I believe iMacs already use a lot of laptop components.

SheriffParker
Jan 3, 2008, 04:16 PM
The is a Rube Goldberg solution in search of a problem and not at all practical.

As someone who uses my MBP in lid-closed mode with a ACD... this solution actually makes a lot of sense. It DOES take up a lot of desk space to use my computer this way, and I would seriously think of getting a display like that for it. Its actually quite an elegant solution.

rstansby
Jan 3, 2008, 04:23 PM

So maybe Apple timed the filing of these patents so that they would be come public now:D

ezekielrage_99
Jan 3, 2008, 04:46 PM
If this was released I would get rid of my 20" iMac and Macbook replace it with a Macbook Pro and one of those thing. That is an awesome concept, getting the best of both worlds. :cool:

Jarra
Jan 3, 2008, 04:51 PM
I have been planning to look very closely at the subnotebook coming out soon (hopefully) and if impressed, buy it but also get a desktop as I need the larger screen.

This solution, if true, will be perfect. When I first read this rumour I did backflips. I hope it is true, and you can get it as a combo....my life will change!!:p

Sijmen
Jan 3, 2008, 04:53 PM
I was in doubt whether to buy an iMac or a new laptop. I like the iMac for the bigger screen, hard drive space, and better design (than the MacBook Pro). Now, if this became reality, that would be great.

The subnotebook would be great for on the go. I rarely use my optical drive, so it could be in the iMac. It's nice and small as a replacement for my aging PowerBook 12". And at home, I'll just throw the PowerBook into the shell and boom, there's my large display, and some extra disk space. Also think about this: Time Machine could backup the subnotebook to the internal drive in the iMac, getting rid of the uglyness of having an external disk.

It would be great by the way, if the iMac would indeed have its own graphics accelerator.

jemo07
Jan 3, 2008, 04:58 PM
Looks like if you add all this things together :
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/03/apple-patents-a-maxiumus-alike-keyboard-imac-macbook-dock/

You get an ultrathin laptop with no keyboard. You only need to map the keys to what every you want, save lots of space and manufacturing cost:D;)

JM:apple:

Draythor
Jan 3, 2008, 05:24 PM
this looks promising. I would most likely invest in a sub note book before I go to uni. My guess?
sub-notebook $899
Dock $399

MattInOz
Jan 3, 2008, 05:40 PM

Umm,...
You see have spent years working on this little think they call Quartz, what quartz does is reduce the band width needed between the CPU and GPU. Leopard started to add multi threading to the Quartz so it can run on multiple GPUs and a mix of CPUs , it's all openGL anyway.

Ok was it's fully mutli-threading then you can guess the next step is to move the GPU to another device with a lower bandwidth connection.

So this dock could use something like UMB to make a connection to a GPU in the dock to drive the screen. In a few years time you might be able to treat your current iMac as a dock, a second screen slave to your laptop, use the hard drive as your time machine.

I think the patent hints at interesting things to come.

rtdunham
Jan 3, 2008, 05:40 PM
Let's hope that Apple works out the kinks... and makes it a little bit classier than the... uh...

http://regmedia.co.uk/2006/08/11/apple_duodock_1.jpg

yeah, but it was immensely functional. And for its time, pretty innovative. You've gotta remember the primitive stage many laptops were at, back then. Also, apple also sold a "mini dock" that lacked the extra hard drive, ethernet connex, etc., but was only maybe 2" x 1 1/2" x 12", you kept it at your deskp with peripherals plugged into it and just coupled the duo to it, instead of having to connect/reconnect half a dozen wires.

rtdunham
Jan 3, 2008, 05:43 PM

why have video out on your ipod if it already has a screen? you need to think different...

puuukeey
Jan 3, 2008, 05:58 PM
tablet?

JSchwage
Jan 3, 2008, 06:10 PM
Yes, yes, yes! Finally! I've been waiting so long for Apple to create some kind of laptop dock. Unfortunately, I'm assuming the dock is only going to work with the new sub-notebook.

rtdunham
Jan 3, 2008, 06:32 PM

-Clive

c'mon, Clive, you're usually the guy with some insightful contribution here. I'm still waiting...

terry ;)

jemo07
Jan 3, 2008, 06:33 PM
tablet?

It could be just a doc for the iPhone? :eek:I came up with this when I realized the drawing looked very similar to the wiggle icon for iPhone wiggle patent now in 1.1.3 :apple: Any takers? :confused::D

rtdunham
Jan 3, 2008, 06:52 PM
...what if Apple were to add just enough extra hardware to make it effectively an AppleTV? Then you've got a completely usable TV, with content loaded on it, ready for viewing while you use your portable for something else...

a good idea. other mfgrs' computers have tuners built in, for ex: why not apple? And don't we already pay $79 or some sort of similar ransom just for the cables necessary to connect our iPods/iPhones/laptops to our tvs?

and here's another, from mtrctyjoe: "Wouldn't it be great... if you could connect the tablet to the iMac docking station via WiFi from anywhere?" Isn't that ease of syncing what some new Leopard feature supposedly facilitates? I sense software/hardware convergence here, that could put to rest our fears about not having all our files with us in our laptops at all times.

"zioxide" says "There's a difference between a $100 port replicator/dock and a $1000 dock with integrated monitor." I'm remembering the "big" duo dock being a $349 item, and that was 10 years ago--the equivalent of what, a $600-700 device in today's dollars? Can somebody search out the correct price back then?

mrgreen4242
Jan 3, 2008, 07:20 PM
It could be just a doc for the iPhone? :eek:I came up with this when I realized the drawing looked very similar to the wiggle icon for iPhone wiggle patent now in 1.1.3 :apple: Any takers? :confused::D

That's something I would be really interested in, but the dock would need to be in a laptop form factor.

Picture a 13" MacBook or 12" PowerBook size, with a harddrive, keyboard, a large multitouch trackpad, battery, USB/FW ports, an optical drive, etc.

I suppose what would make the most sense is to have it boot off the docks drive, using the iPhone's CPU/RAM, but loading a more full featured version of OSX. If it was, say, $399 (the price as the iPhone) I think it would be really successful as a companion machine to both desktop users as well as iPhone users... Good idea, though.

dernhelm
Jan 3, 2008, 07:32 PM
C'mon eSATA!!

Best response in this thread. You bet! I'm on board for that reason alone.

c'mon, Clive, you're usually the guy with some insightful contribution here. I'm still waiting...

terry ;)

I thought that WAS insightful. How serious can this whole thing be if they won't even give the patent author a straight-edge to draw with?
:D

MattInOz
Jan 3, 2008, 07:51 PM

Doesn't mean they don't time application submissions to lay a few seeds.

phungy
Jan 3, 2008, 07:57 PM
this looks promising. I would most likely invest in a sub note book before I go to uni. My guess?
sub-notebook $899
Dock $399

Very doubtful the sub-notebook will be less than a grand.

iPhonePhan
Jan 3, 2008, 07:58 PM
http://img.engadget.com/common/images/2522842316340485.JPG?0.8843872919595083

I finally got what Apple is doing. This is a REALLY old patent Apple filed back way back when which was posted on Engadget.com here (http://www.engadget.com/2005/06/30/apple-patent-dug-up-docks-ipod-in-powerbook/)

I think this is what's really going to happen at MacWorld 2008:

iPhone goes 3G
New Laptops revised to allow for an iPhone "bay"
iPhone goes into computer/laptop allowing for integration, charging, and 3G connectivity
The Messiah will come and strike down all Windoze users for being ****tards

That's what Apple is doing. Its very clearly laid out. On top of that, we all know that the iPhone is being introduced to Japan now in 2008 and it has to be 3G or nothing else. Even AT&T stated that it was going 3G.

And this makes sense if you think about the iPod/iPhone Halo effect:

You buy a Macbook/Macbook Pro/iMac with the new iPhone bay
or... You buy an iPhone and don't yet have a Mac
If you buy one and not the other, you'll want the other one because it compliments (better yet, amplifies the other product).
You heard it here first people - tell'em iPhonePhan told 'ya
:p:apple::p

jdmlight
Jan 3, 2008, 08:26 PM
Hmm...
From the patent:

20. A docking station as recited in claim 19, wherein the radio communication is associated with one or more of the following: a short-range wireless data communication standard, BLUETOOTH, a wireless networking standard, IEEE 802.11 standard, and a proprietary wireless communication specification.

This supports what was stated earlier about the ultraportable being able to connect to the dock wirelessly...

Compile 'em all
Jan 3, 2008, 09:01 PM

Killed the thread. Remember folks, you heard it from iPhonePhan first :cool:

kevinliu4
Jan 3, 2008, 09:09 PM
The whole thing seems very complicated, inconvenient and confusing. I can understand the docking concept back in the day when laptops were limited in their capabilities and design was less advanced, but laptops have come such a long way and can hold their own against desktops.

Bigger brighter screens, more than capable processing power and memory, space efficient design such as slot loading drives and light weight. So much so that many people (myself included) use only a laptop as their main computer. Of course there are certain folks who require legitimate desktop setups, but I'm not sure who would really want a 2 in 1 like this. I think most people are clear what they need in a computer. But this concept is like they purposely rip out the guts of the computer only to make it available in a more inconvenient and cumbersome form...and available to you only at home.

I had a PowerBook Duo 280c in college and the whole docking concept just didn't work for me. A lovely small laptop for when I was away but if I ever bought software or games I would have to wait until I got back to school before doing anything with it...unless I felt like packing an external cd drive thus defeating the purpose of a small light weight laptop. And the setup was such a mess and so inconvenient. External peripherals and cables everywhere. I always had to unplug everything when I went to class with my laptop or plug everything back in when I came home. What a pain. Let's not forget external peripherals are always slower than built in whether hdd or dvd drives.

Even when I am home, I like to bring my mbp over to the couch to show my wife a photo slideshow or whatever. This would be such a nuisance with this setup. I don't know. I'm sure there will be some who will love it, but the whole concept seems rather primitive and limiting to me.

I am waiting until after macworld to buy my wife a macbook which will be her first mac. Given this latest rumor, I'm worried about what is going to be announced. I am also worried about the flash memory hd rumors. Yes, it may be faster and lighter but if it is less than 100gb, it's rather useless in this day and age. Again, defeats the purpose of a slim notebook if you need to carry an external hd. If anything, I will wait for the price reduction.

FJ218700
Jan 3, 2008, 09:16 PM
The whole thing seems very complicated, inconvenient and confusing. . .

for the average consumer, much less so than the :apple:TV.

if you think Apple stores are crowded now, . . .

Rhumgod
Jan 3, 2008, 10:21 PM
;)

2003 Article on new iMac (http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/12/10&pages=A1&seq=1)

The article used to show images of an iMac with a detachable display that could be used as a tablet. Alas, time has caused those to be banished to the bit bucket.

<EDIT>

Sorry, brain fart - here is the Register article (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/06/06/nextgen_imac_2001_debuts/) I was thinking of dating back to 2001!!!

kcmac
Jan 3, 2008, 10:33 PM
I would be very interested in something like this. I am hoping this means the laptop part will be smallllllll. 12 inches or less.

However as some have stated, this could make for a fairly underpowered desktop solution as compared to a real iMac. Don't know if that part interests me.

With a good pricepoint though, maybe the iMac shell would be more of an accessory. Hopefully a reasonable one if this is true at all.

Even without it, I am dying for a new small laptop.

WildPalms
Jan 3, 2008, 11:53 PM

Ye gods! That tablet is HUGE if the dimensions of the keyboard and display are any guide. I hope any tablet would be at least half the size of that.

aussiesteve
Jan 4, 2008, 12:31 AM
I think the ultra laptop will have no keyboard just touch screen. it will be all screen. Flash memory only. No hard disk or Optical as previous rumours. The lid will be removable.
It will slip into the imac like shell which will have a large hard disk and optical drive. Extra ports and a connnector which will switch off the touch screen and utilise the manual keyboard.
The laptop will be the brains in the machine which run as fast as an imac anyway. when the screen is away from the shell it will communicate wirelessly.
There is a new version of firewire that runs about 4 times faster than previous and faster than HDMI. maybe this will be used when the portable is in doc.

BWhaler
Jan 4, 2008, 01:24 AM
I like this idea.

I struggle with this concept at home and in the office

At home, I want to relax on the couch with my laptop 90% of the time. But the other 10%, I want a big display and will work at a desk. This is the best of both worlds in a clean set-up.

At work, I use a 17" and 30" display. I'd prefer a set-up like this again because it is cleaner.

It would be cool if you could have an "external" drive in the display for additional storage or Time Machine.

The problems are as others have pointed out, that the hole and computer size need to stay the same.

I don't think Apple is going to release this, but I think it's a cool idea.

Palad1
Jan 4, 2008, 03:28 AM
How about this:

Laptop with :
- Cpu
- Ram
- Usb
- screen
- audio out
- keyboard
- iP[hone|pod touch] docking station below the keyboard

==> Ultra lightweight Multitouch Trackpad Laptop.

MuzakaEklekta
Jan 4, 2008, 05:54 AM
Well, here's my setup at home, and I'm sure I'm not the only one...

I have a MacBook. I plug it into my 46" LCD TV. This is my main setup.

Sometimes I take my MacBook for bedtime viewing, or to gigs etc.

Whenever my MacBook is in its place, I have to plug the DVI, audio, USB cables all back in. This is a pain.

This is obviously what Apple are creating a solution to.

I would be happy with either of these 2 approaches from Apple:

• An induction-connected dock. You pop it on a holder/tray/mount. No connections. All your cables are connected to this dock.

• Their own line of large LCD TVs that the ultra-portable goes inside. The TV would also have the optical drive, large HDD etc.

Does this float for anyone else?

ThinkGeek
Jan 4, 2008, 06:01 AM
No No No No.... Apple...don't do this... please... why dont they make a Wireless Connectivity solution instead. This whole... plug in your MacBook Nano to a humongous big-ass iMac Dock.. doesn't seem right. If we bought an imac from Apple already and we don't have the desk space on our table we cant use this MacBook. Now that aint right. Anyone else agrees? I think they should make an iPhone/iPod like Dock or use WiFi instead.

MuzakaEklekta
Jan 4, 2008, 06:09 AM
No No No No.... Apple...don't do this... please... why dont they make a Wireless Connectivity solution instead. This whole... plug in your MacBook Nano to a humongous big-ass iMac Dock.. doesn't seem right. If we bought an imac from Apple already and we don't have the desk space on our table we cant use this MacBook. Now that aint right. Anyone else agrees? I think they should make an iPhone/iPod like Dock or use WiFi instead.

I think the main aim is to be able to use the MacBook on a larger display. WiFi alone can't do this!

diamond.g
Jan 4, 2008, 06:55 AM
I think the main aim is to be able to use the MacBook on a larger display. WiFi alone can't do this!

Pfft!, wireless displays (http://www.displaylink.com/news/news101207.htm) are so 2003 (http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/1566601)...

ThinkGeek
Jan 4, 2008, 07:16 AM

but what does this mean to those who bought an iMac and do not have the desk space for this peripheral. I mean, for some people they want to use the MacBook Nano/Touch/Whatever on the go and just use their existing desktop computer to do work at home.

I think that this iMac-like Docking Station should be optional for those who dont want to buy a desktop and just use laptop. The main option should be to use wifi to use the MacBook as a secondary display/keyboard thingy. And I don't mean WiFi displays.

For example, I am working on a presentation on my desktop. I bring my MacBook Touch/Nano over and it syncs data like Time Machine does (Maybe this wont use wifi but firewire iPod-like dock). That way I will have all my data on my portable at all times. So that when I bring it to school to present my presentation, I am sure that the data is there. And if I want to use my MacBook Touch as a secondary UI thing at home I can via WiFi or iPodlike cable.

t0mat0
Jan 4, 2008, 08:11 AM

Yet... ;)

Just looking at the front page image - arent you putting the back of a tablet or lapto into a iMac frame? how could thta then be a screen ? Apple logo shown on tablet/nanombp.
Alternatively - a double screened tablet/mbp - 6" screen as the exterior cover, 12 inch inside screen?

sirozha
Jan 4, 2008, 08:16 AM
I would buy such a docking station in a heartbeat. I am in the process of migrating from PC to Mac. Replacing two laptops (my wife's and mine) as well as our desktop with Macs is very pricey. If I could get a 24" dock for about $800 vs buying a 24" iMac for $1800, that would save me $1000. I would then puchase two Mac laptops (perhaps one of them would be the ultra-portable that Apple is about to announce) and would use the dock when at home working on something that requires a larger screen.

I prefer having a very portable laptop but also have a desktop for the tasks that are better done on a desktop.

Another thing that Apple could do with this type of dock is to add a hard drive slot for additional storage in this dock. That way, the ultra-portable can have 32 or 64 MB of NAND flash, and the rest of the storage can be in the dock. Those who need ultra-portable laptops normally don't watch DVDs on them, so the DVD drive can also reside in the dock along with FireWire, etc.

For a student, this type of dock is not of much use. For a family of professionals, I think this is brilliant! It would also work very well in a corporate environment where companies would not have to equip their employees with two computers -- desktop and laptop. If you can save $1000 per employee this way, imagine the savings company-wide!

a456
Jan 4, 2008, 08:26 AM
The idea of being able to purchase one computer and it having the benefits of a laptop and desktop would be great. The laptop could have a smaller flash drive and the dock a much larger drive, the dock could also be accessed over the Internet perhaps so that all data is still available to the laptop when out and about. Also the need for an optical drive in the laptop could be eliminated making it very small and light - the perfect laptop. While the "docktop" can have a much larger screen and take advantage of all the things a desktop can provide. The only thing that I'm not excited about is the rather cumbersome looking way the laptop is inserted into the dock. If this succeeds it will be on having a price point that makes it cheaper than buying an iMac and a MacBook together for those that need both. It will also appeal to those that cannot be bothered with wireless networking laptops and desktops. Perhaps there will be a slot for iPods and iPhones as well - why not chuck everything in there!

Sijmen
Jan 4, 2008, 08:33 AM
[...]

For example, I am working on a presentation on my desktop. I bring my MacBook Touch/Nano over and it syncs data like Time Machine does (Maybe this wont use wifi but firewire iPod-like dock). That way I will have all my data on my portable at all times. So that when I bring it to school to present my presentation, I am sure that the data is there. And if I want to use my MacBook Touch as a secondary UI thing at home I can via WiFi or iPodlike cable.

You hit a nail there, this is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about.

Look at some of the technologies we have now, and let's see how they can be combined:
Time Machine
Back to my Mac
Front Row sharing, your music everywhere
cross-Mac Spotlight
broadband internet everywhere

You see where I'm going? Here's the idea: Your data, available everywhere. The line between local and non-local data blurs.

How it works: you have a main data location. It could be an external hard drive on your Mac, or a GDisk or .mac account. That's where you have all your files, applications, music, video, pretty much anything that is not bound to your computer. You can have tens, hundreds, or thousands of gigabytes of stuff.

For on the go, you have the Mac tablet. The tablet has 32 GB of Flash memory. Now, the only thing that is local and stays local is your operating system. All the apps, everything, is streamed from the internet. This isn't as bad as it sounds, as it can hold up to 32 GB of cache. So the apps you tend to use, are available locally because they are cached. But this caching is totally invisible for the user - it looks as if the user has these thousands of gigabytes available!

Of course there are some obvious performance concerns, but many have obvious solutions. You could of course mark directories, applications, or certain libraries (like your photos, videos, or music) as 'always sync'. This would make sure that those marked items will always be kept in cache.

Some examples of what it could do:
With your iPhone, you could listen to a gigantic collection of music, previously only available to the iPod classic.
Your calendars are always synchronized: across your iPhone, Mac, etc. Same thing for your to do list.
The Mac ultraportable could hold many, many apps, without needing a large hard disk drive. Your apps are available everywhere.

What do you think? Is this where we are heading?

diamond.g
Jan 4, 2008, 08:53 AM
You hit a nail there, this is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about.

Look at some of the technologies we have now, and let's see how they can be combined:
Time Machine
Back to my Mac
Front Row sharing, your music everywhere
cross-Mac Spotlight
broadband internet everywhere

You see where I'm going? Here's the idea: Your data, available everywhere. The line between local and non-local data blurs.

How it works: you have a main data location. It could be an external hard drive on your Mac, or a GDisk or .mac account. That's where you have all your files, applications, music, video, pretty much anything that is not bound to your computer. You can have tens, hundreds, or thousands of gigabytes of stuff.

For on the go, you have the Mac tablet. The tablet has 32 GB of Flash memory. Now, the only thing that is local and stays local is your operating system. All the apps, everything, is streamed from the internet. This isn't as bad as it sounds, as it can hold up to 32 GB of cache. So the apps you tend to use, are available locally because they are cached. But this caching is totally invisible for the user - it looks as if the user has these thousands of gigabytes available!

Of course there are some obvious performance concerns, but many have obvious solutions. You could of course mark directories, applications, or certain libraries (like your photos, videos, or music) as 'always sync'. This would make sure that those marked items will always be kept in cache.

With your iPhone, you could listen to a gigantic collection of music, previously only available to the iPod classic.
Your calendars are always synchronized: across your iPhone, Mac, etc. Same thing for your to do list.
The Mac ultraportable could hold many, many apps, without needing a large hard disk drive. Your apps are available everywhere.

What do you think? Is this where we are heading?

I take it you have FiOS or OC-3 upload speeds... If we are headed that way ISP's are gonna have so much fun raping us for bandwidth (in the USA).

rhyndu
Jan 4, 2008, 09:01 AM
OK... I haven't bothered to read through all 5 pages of this thread, but...

I think you guys are missing a serious point. There is, acording to the patent application, NOTHING other than a display, wireless, some other AppleWireless maybe, a "docking station", and some wired ports. (with all the neccisary HW to make it all work).

There is NO harddrive, NO copy of Mac OS X... nothing like that.

~~

An idea: what if the iMac drawing is just a placeholder. Think about the possibilities if a MacBook unveiled at MacWorld had, in addition to the disk drive, an iPhone "dock"? This would also be on new iMacs? allowing a full X environment from the iPhone.

Sijmen
Jan 4, 2008, 09:02 AM
I take it you have FiOS or OC-3 upload speeds... If we are headed that way ISP's are gonna have so much fun raping us for bandwidth (in the USA).

Of course, the most stuff would be synced at home. This is also in benefit of the user, because it's faster over WiFi, Firewire, or USB.

rhyndu
Jan 4, 2008, 09:07 AM
~snip~
~snip~

But I have a better idea. What if in addition to this, it would also be stored on a, you know, 10TB "local" disk, for "local" use. Transition between local and non-local would, of course, be hidden from the user.

But, god, talk about all the resources this thing would use "backing up"?

Sijmen
Jan 4, 2008, 09:09 AM
But I have a better idea. What if in addition to this, it would also be stored on a, you know, 10TB "local" disk, for "local" use. Transition between local and non-local would, of course, be hidden from the user.

But, god, talk about all the resources this thing would use "backing up"?

10TB local would be great :P but not really an option with the iPhone, or an ultraportable.

Also notie that anything that is fetched from the remote server, is also stored locally for future use. Lesser used items get deleted when the disk is full.

diamond.g
Jan 4, 2008, 09:14 AM
10TB local would be great :P but not really an option with the iPhone, or an ultraportable.

Also notice that anything that is fetched from the remote server, is also stored locally for future used. Lesser used items get deleted when the disk is full.

I think your idea is great. I also think your idea is expensive. With ISP's oversubscribing bandwidth like it is going out of style in the US I just don't see something like this going over well. As long as you are using small items you would be okay, but as soon as you needed something large you are at the mercy of the throughput of the cloud to make accessing it seem tranparent.

Kobekes
Jan 4, 2008, 09:41 AM
mmmm...

For multi-touch technology you need to touch the screen.
On a laptop computer you can transform your keyboard to a screen to do that.
On a desktop computer you can do that as well! Your keyboard becomes a second screen (ultra-portable!) and you dock it in your iMac after use ...

rhyndu
Jan 4, 2008, 09:51 AM
mmmm...

For multi-touch technology you need to touch the screen.
On a laptop computer you can transform your keyboard to a screen to do that.
On a desktop computer you can do that as well! Your keyboard becomes a second screen (ultra-portable!) and you dock it in your iMac after use ...

Come again?

Kobekes
Jan 4, 2008, 09:59 AM
Come again?

I mean; if the thing that you dock in your iMac is just a new version of your keyboard. No more keys, but a second screen to allow multitouch.

lelereb
Jan 4, 2008, 11:43 AM
I don't know, probably "insert the laptop in hole" is more simple to explain than "connect this cable and this one", but I think it increases the chances to see the laptop landing on the table.

rtdunham
Jan 4, 2008, 11:54 AM
OK... I haven't bothered to read through all 5 pages of this thread, but...

I think you guys are missing a serious point. There is, acording to the patent application, NOTHING other than a display, wireless, some other AppleWireless maybe, a "docking station", and some wired ports. (with all the neccisary HW to make it all work).

There is NO harddrive, NO copy of Mac OS X... nothing like that.

1) I'm always a little offended by people who say, "well, i didn't bother to read the stuff the rest of you guys are discussing, but i think i'm still qualified to jump in and join your conversation." Just a personal quirk of mine.

2) If you had read some of the prior discussion you'd have seen examples of docks that include hard drives and more--even a math co-processor in one (prior apple) product.

3) the absence of the mac os is a legitimate observation. But as has been noted (yeah, in the earlier parts of this long thread) apple's iMacs use the same chips as the macbooks, so it's reasonable to hope for an ultraportable that would have adequate processing power for an iMac-like desktop, without that dock or whatever we choose to call it having to have its own OS or cpu.

lelereb
Jan 4, 2008, 11:54 AM
To me a good idea can be a thin client that works also as a docking station.

A monitor, starting cheaper than the actual ones, something like a 19" @ 1440x900, and just the hardware and software needed to make remote desktop.

jouster
Jan 4, 2008, 02:39 PM
So maybe Apple timed the filing of these patents so that they would be come public now:D

Perhaps. But they were filed in the middle of '06. Does the Patent Office have a set time before it releases? I was under the impression that the timing was dictated by volume.

Apple must hate having to file, and I'm sure they manipulate the system to an extent. As ever, we should bear in mind that the majority of patents never result in a shipping product and if they do, the gap between submission and shipping is usually longer than 8 months.

GhostWhoWalks
Jan 4, 2008, 03:56 PM
http://i.dell.com/images/global/products/latit/latit_xt_category_220x149.jpg

Might be interesting if Apple could utilize this type of design for use with this dock. The monitor size may be too small for most though.

Sijmen
Jan 4, 2008, 04:48 PM
The problem I see with that design is that it appears to be rather thick in tablet mode.

CWallace
Jan 4, 2008, 05:08 PM
The problem I see with that design is that it appears to be rather thick in tablet mode.

All such "convertibles" are. But most folks don't like trying to peck on a virtual keyboard as on a true tablet, so the only "successful" tablets to date have been of this type.

rhyndu
Jan 4, 2008, 05:35 PM
1) I'm always a little offended by people who say, "well, i didn't bother to read the stuff the rest of you guys are discussing, but i think i'm still qualified to jump in and join your conversation." Just a personal quirk of mine.

2) If you had read some of the prior discussion you'd have seen examples of docks that include hard drives and more--even a math co-processor in one (prior apple) product.

3) the absence of the mac os is a legitimate observation. But as has been noted (yeah, in the earlier parts of this long thread) apple's iMacs use the same chips as the macbooks, so it's reasonable to hope for an ultraportable that would have adequate processing power for an iMac-like desktop, without that dock or whatever we choose to call it having to have its own OS or cpu.

1) I'm very sorry. I usually read the entire conversation first (and rarely post) but I was a little pressed on time and wanted to post my opinion.

2) Right. I saw some of that. The point I'm making is the Apple's patent very obviously points out that it does not have a HD.

Not trying to start a large arguement :)

jdmlight
Jan 4, 2008, 06:01 PM
2) Right. I saw some of that. The point I'm making is the Apple's patent very obviously points out that it does not have a HD.
Well, even if the dock doesn't have a built-in hard drive, you could always plug an external drive in to one of the firewire ports on the dock. Granted it's not nearly as elegant, but it's what I'd do if the dock didn't have a built-in hard drive.

winterspan
Jan 4, 2008, 10:39 PM
Heres something I whipped up real quick. It's my idea of this concept.
I would love to have something like this. Here are the specs:

22" 1920x1200 (or 1680x1050) LED-backlight LCD screen
(2) x 320GB 2.5" 7200RPM HDD connected via eSATA connection
DVD-RW (Blu-Ray RW?)
USB2.0, Fire 400, 800

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj7/rubberbabybugmenot/iMacdoc.jpg

thoughts?

MattInOz
Jan 4, 2008, 10:57 PM
1) I'm very sorry. I usually read the entire conversation first (and rarely post) but I was a little pressed on time and wanted to post my opinion.

Not trying to start a large arguement :)

I understand your point. but not sure where they say it doesn't have a HD?

The claims around 13 details equipment of what is refered to as the dock.
Indeed in 13 they say Storage device. patents tend to be general. They also say that the dock contain hardware required transfer the graphics rendered by the computer to the screen, also to communicate between items in the dock.

Ok so none of that rules anything in or out.

although personally given they go in to a lot of detail about using short range wireless to do the communicating, i would suspect the dock would have it's own gpu maybe cpu and OS to co-ordinate communication and lower bandwidth needed.

It could go either way, i think they have been very deliberate about that.

ajumbaje
Jan 4, 2008, 11:16 PM

DVD-RW (Blu-Ray RW?)
USB2.0, Fire 400, 800

thoughts?
i like the idea, however, if this dock is only applied to the subnotebook, maybe the use of a 10k rpm hard drive would be better to match with the speed of ssd

also, as much as id love to see blu-ray on this, at the moment, it would seem to expensive and it would be something that would most likely be introduced to the mac pro lineup(even imacs) before the portable system

being that this thing is just a peripheral, some people might be wary of spending a lot of money on something that isnt technically required

anyways, since i use my laptop in my room like a desktop(dock and what not) and the availability of downloading movies via itunes(dont really buy movies at b&m stores anymore) this would seem like a great idea to get me into the mac community

ntrigue
Jan 4, 2008, 11:29 PM
The REDTablet from VREO was a touchscreen that 'docked' into peripherals so it would turn into a desktop when at home.

smueboy
Jan 5, 2008, 09:51 AM
I think that this is a good idea - i travel a lot and need a laptop, but this would enable me to have a desktop as well. We'll see if Apple actually puts something like this on the market though.

Kentucky Mac
Jan 5, 2008, 09:59 AM
Posted this in another forum and thought it applied here as well.

Would someone please explain to me what the benefit of this monstrously large track pad is. I just don't get it. To me the idea of a keyboard width track pad is as antiquated as the trackball. It's time to move into the 21st century.

What I would envision for the Macbook Pro, is a redesigned case with a brushed black finish. Obvious upgrades to processsing power. And lastly a new trackpad design which is essentially a glass screen similar to the iphone screen. This new trackpad would have icons to each side to create shortcuts to most used programs and the icons would all be customizable. Essentially it would be a mini dock right at your fingertips. The glass screen would permit the multitouch capability along with some of the benefits of the Iphone experience.

Finally, the new Mactouch Pro, if that's what it is called, will create a whole new segment for Apple. It is not, and I repeat, is not, meant to replace the Macbook Pro line. Think about it. Everyone has been talking about a Ultra Mobile PC unit. Excuse the PC part. Not a not a mini notebook. This would completely fill the niche to which Apple has no product. If you look at the computer product line-up, they go from the Iphone, to the macbook, to the Macbook Pro line on up to the desktop units. I know the macbook is a small portable notebook, but it is not innovative and is not likely to create a buzz for Apple and their sales. A whole new segment for them will, just like the Iphone did last year.

Imagine some of the possibilities, and I refer to the following pictures.

Let says you are mainly a desktop user. You could have the 24" iMac and the MacTouch unit. This allows you to use the desktop at work, in the office, or at the home office. But then you can also pull out the MacTouch and spend the evening in the recliner without the bulk of a notebook. The MacTouch always is in sync with the iMac, so you always have your favorite bookmarks, email folders, contacts, and etc. The sync prevents having some info on one unit but not the other. Nothing more aggravating than not having access to the same info on each of your computers.

This is where the redesign of the iMac comes in. Why would the cost of the iMac have to be that much more. Basically you've added a large slot only to the case along with a few internal components. This is assuming there is room for this.

Imagine I have a iMac at home and it has the slot in the side. I had not yet purchased the MacTouch, but I sure would be tempted to consider it 6 months after I had purchased the iMac, especially if it is as simple as sliding the unit into the iMac, and it just works.

Next possibility - If I were to run a 17" MacBook Pro for the purposes of a desktop replacement or I run a Mac Pro. The docking system that would come with the MacTouch would allow me to do the same thing as the iMac as far as syncing the two, possibly via firewire. I can fully see me taking the 17" MBP on a business trip for major computing power at a customers location, but then just using the MacTouch in the hotel that night or sitting in the airport to check emails and web surf.

Another possibility, the MacTouch is just a standalone unit. Perhaps your teenager has one as their personal media player, web browser, email. Because it runs a full OS, it is a all in one unit that appeals to the younger crowd. I know my son who's a PSP, MP3, gadget kid would love to have this vs. a notebook.

Imagine it could become a interface for a Apple TV type of experience. Let's say it works via remote from your mantle to control all of your media, or actually is the remote interface for your Apple TV. It would be sweet to sit in the recliner and browse the internet while controlling your Apple TV at the same time. Refering to my iMac incentive to purchase the MacTouch later, would you consider purchasing the MacTouch later if you knew you could control your Apple TV with it? I don't know a whole lot about the Apple TV but it's a possibility.

Let me mention that I do have an Iphone and I know that it can check my email, web surf and etc., but the MacTouch unit would be able to do so much more and in a more user friendly way without the added bulk of a notebook or the constant scrolling in safari on the Iphone.

I think the main way to create sales is to create possibilities. A small unit that can interact with any of the hardware made by Apple would be a huge seller. Imagine the possibilies. All this being said, who knows what's to come. I hope were not all disappointed on the 15th.

Sorry for such a long post, but can you tell I really want one.

Jasonbot
Jan 5, 2008, 10:27 AM

DVD-RW (Blu-Ray RW?)
USB2.0, Fire 400, 800

thoughts?

Why such tiny HDD's? WHy not just a big ass 3.5" Drive, It would be so much more economic. The only place you see dual 2.5" drives is in Gaming laptops that NEED storage for some reason.

caldw
Jan 5, 2008, 12:53 PM

DVD-RW (Blu-Ray RW?)
USB2.0, Fire 400, 800

thoughts?

if you pay attention to the patent, the optical drive is located on the laptop
that does not match the ultra portable rumor
also
- placement of alimentation plug does not seem right
- it is not easy/practical to load the laptop depending on your desk configuration
- what about scratch and general cover durability as you are sliding it and out?

jhande
Jan 5, 2008, 01:36 PM
Well, here's my setup at home, and I'm sure I'm not the only one...

I have a MacBook. I plug it into my 46" LCD TV. This is my main setup.

Sometimes I take my MacBook for bedtime viewing, or to gigs etc.

Whenever my MacBook is in its place, I have to plug the DVI, audio, USB cables all back in. This is a pain.

This is obviously what Apple are creating a solution to.

I would be happy with either of these 2 approaches from Apple:

An induction-connected dock. You pop it on a holder/tray/mount. No connections. All your cables are connected to this dock.

Their own line of large LCD TVs that the ultra-portable goes inside. The TV would also have the optical drive, large HDD etc.

Does this float for anyone else?

That would definitely do it for me. As the only person in my section with an OS X computer (a MacBook), I'm used to receiving envious stares -- except when I come in each morning and plug in the power cable, the DVI cable, the USB cable etc, while my colleagues just plonk their thinkpad or dell onto the dock.

It friggin' irritates me that we've lived with this situation for so long, so yeah, bring on the ultra (with 8hr battery life) and the dock. I'll snap it up in a second.

Cloudsurfer
Jan 5, 2008, 01:47 PM
That would totally scratch the hell out of a MacBook.

Kentucky Mac
Jan 5, 2008, 01:57 PM
I guess I am naive, but do people actually sit around and spend their time creating pictures like this just for fun or is it possible this is a real prototype? These look a whole lot more realistic than the snapshots we've been seeing.

The slot in the external docking station would explain the option for the external optical drive as it has been reported and then just use the optical drive on the iMac when it is in that dock.

Click on the pics to enlarge.

ozfried2693
Jan 5, 2008, 03:15 PM
how much would a 12" ultra slim macbook that docks inside a 24" cinema display with 160GB HD and 2GB of RAM cost? if its below $2500 it would be one of the most popular computers on the market :eek:

collinsra
Jan 5, 2008, 06:51 PM
Ingenious....gotta love apple. Can't wait until the 15th!

ClassicMac247
Jan 5, 2008, 06:59 PM
cant wait

Cooknn
Jan 5, 2008, 07:04 PM
Out of all the rumors flying around (including this one) expect 2, maybe 3 new announcements on the 15th. Prepare to be bummed. I've been down this road many times :o

jdmlight
Jan 5, 2008, 07:13 PM
Y'know, I'd snatch one of these MacBook nano/MacBook touch things with a dock in a second...if Apple releases them.

Anyone want to buy a 24" 2.8ghz iMac or a red (although my friends debate on the color, some say it's red, some say it's pink, some say it's purple - I say it varies depending on the light because it's pearlescent paint :p) iBook G3 500mhz?

barijazz
Jan 5, 2008, 11:12 PM
This system would be very easy to set up. there is a magnetic powercord inside that automatically connects to the laptop when it is inserted. and another magnetic cord that connects the ultra portable to the shell/ monitor. :rolleyes:

winterspan
Jan 6, 2008, 07:15 AM
if you pay attention to the patent, the optical drive is located on the laptop
that does not match the ultra portable rumor
also
- placement of alimentation plug does not seem right
- it is not easy/practical to load the laptop depending on your desk configuration
- what about scratch and general cover durability as you are sliding it and out?

Oh for christ's sake... It's only meant to show an idea... as I said in the original post, "... I whipped up quick" aka 10 minutes. It's not a final product design, nor did I intend for it to be.

MattInOz
Jan 6, 2008, 06:39 PM
This system would be very easy to set up. there is a magnetic powercord inside that automatically connects to the laptop when it is inserted. and another magnetic cord that connects the ultra portable to the shell/ monitor. :rolleyes:

Even Simpler use the Power Cable as a carrier for a data signal. The cables are probable shielded anyway, so little to no interference. Then use Extreme high freq signal like WirelessHD does, and any signal that does get out isn't getting very far anyway.

Add a magsafe extension cable to the box and you could then use docked or undocked.

twoodcc
Jan 6, 2008, 06:49 PM
Out of all the rumors flying around (including this one) expect 2, maybe 3 new announcements on the 15th. Prepare to be bummed. I've been down this road many times :o

yep. hopefully this is one of the things that actually happens

xnu
Jan 7, 2008, 10:25 AM
Apple may be looking to the future of what the cable companies are doing since they are the competition for the delivery of movies and tv. Interesting article about what is coming and what the cable companies are facing with federal regulation.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080107/D8U10EF80.html

"An industry initiative, to be renamed "tru2way" after a decade in the works, is expected to allow electronics manufacturers to make TVs and other gear that will work regardless of cable provider. By making devices compatible, the standard also could encourage the development of new services and features that rely on two-way communication over the cable network."

"Other products are expected to reach retail stores as early as the end of 2008. The timeframe gives cable leverage over the competing standard proposed by consumer electronics makers, whose devices might not make it to retail until 2009 at the earliest."

the new initiative is expected to be followed by consumer electronic devices that will be competition for the ipod.

"The Panasonic Viera Plasma HDTV with "tru2way" will go on sale this year. Panasonic's portable DVD player and recorder, called "AnyPlay," lifts off a docking station and allows consumers to watch the programs they've recorded anywhere they like, on its 8.5-inch LCD screen. It is to go on sale in early 2009."

ktbubster
Jan 7, 2008, 10:12 PM
I think a perfect use for this thing would be if it were a 30 or 32 inch screen imac docking station.

An extra 500gb or 1Tb drive, all the ports you need, superdrive, extra ram etc... maybe if they could even somehow throw a graphics card in there that activates instead of integrated graphics that are no doubt in a ultra portable.

I'd say if you could combine all that with some appletv type integration it would be perfect!

It would be a perfect media center with an already built in tv (super high def for that matter!) that could stay at home and record things and you could store all your stuff on it and then throw in the ultra portable when you need to transfer documents of the day. You could throw on shows and such onto the ultra portable as well to bring with you after they are downloaded.

I think that would be a perfect set up. Plenty of power when you get home (for tv OR work) yet portability on the road.

I'd sell all my stuff and snap one up immediately.

twoodcc
Jan 7, 2008, 10:28 PM
I really can't wait to see what the final outcome of this thing looks like.

yeah me too. i'm really looking forward to it

Howard Brazee
Jan 8, 2008, 07:55 AM
What I want is to have a desktop and a laptop that synchronize automatically, and trustworthy enough that one is a backup of the other.

With two computers, my laptop will be small and portable, without a large screen - but when I'm home I want a full-sized monitor, keyboard, mouse - and Time Machine drive.

I dislike the fact that my wife's 24" iMac can't be used just as a monitor for her laptop.

Intarweb
Jan 8, 2008, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't want a doc. I'd rather have a cable. If something happens to the connectors inside the dock, that's a big fix. Where as if something happens to the cable, it's an easy, and most likely cheap, replace.

haw-i-ya
Jan 8, 2008, 06:53 PM
I do hope (if this is real) that there will be a MacBook Pro version:). If they could support the 15" that would be great. I don't think so much of the 17" because they would already have a very large screen.