PDA

View Full Version : quicksilver only works with sawtooth cpu

ppalazzo
Oct 7, 2003, 09:49 PM
I have a Quicksilver motherboard (M8359) that works fine with a 450MHz G4 processor from a Sawtooth machine, but whenever I try to use a quicksilver cpu it will not boot at all. The motherboard light goes on, the fans start blowing, but the hard drives and CD drive won't spin. I tried resetting the PMU, and I tested it with both an 867 MHz quicksilver and a 733 MHz one. I'm baffled.

PPalazzo.

Counterfit
Oct 7, 2003, 10:29 PM
Are there jumpers involved? Perhaps a software setting?

ppalazzo
Oct 8, 2003, 12:13 AM
Jumpers as in the hard drives' jumpers? The master/slave settings I have are correct and work fine with the sawtooth cpu, but nothing even powers up with the quicksilver cpu except for the fans. I would try booting with an OS X cd, but the cd drive won't even power up to let me insert a cd.

bousozoku
Oct 8, 2003, 12:21 AM
Is the CPU from the QuickSilver working in anything else? Have you tested it to make certain it's functional?

ppalazzo
Oct 8, 2003, 12:28 AM
I don't have a second motherboard available to test it at this time, but I did try on two different quicksilver cpu's, so unless both are broken... Even if G4 processors were not backward-compatible with older motherboards, that would explain only why the 867 doesn't work, not the 733 (although i know DA cpu's do work on AGP logic boards).

hugemullens
Oct 8, 2003, 04:10 AM
Are the bus speeds right? I dont know what the bus is on a 450mhz sawtooth but if tis a hundred and the other 2 are 133......also is there any firmware upgrades?

Counterfit
Oct 8, 2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by ppalazzo
Jumpers as in the hard drives' jumpers? The master/slave settings I have are correct and work fine with the sawtooth cpu, but nothing even powers up with the quicksilver cpu except for the fans. I would try booting with an OS X cd, but the cd drive won't even power up to let me insert a cd. Jumpers as in bus speed and multiplier jumpers. I'm not sure if the QS logic board has them, but I know my beige G3 does.

ppalazzo
Oct 8, 2003, 02:07 PM
It was the freakin' 4th mounting point... I thought I could get away with 3 screws and forgot about that 12V on the 4th screw. Thanks to all for the help.

Counterfit
Oct 8, 2003, 03:42 PM
Um, you're welcome :confused: