Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

In 5 Years, What will be the "Industry Standard"

• Total voters

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i'll make no predictions, but imho people like PT because it does what it does very well. it would certainly take a lot to make me switch.

regarding 'reign', do you have any data on marketshare now? i'm interested in knowing what constitutes a 'reign' and when you'd consider such a thing to be ended.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I use and love Logic, but in many ways it is not a mainstream program.

I will admit that the new system (and the new pricepoint) is a lot more normal (so much so that I am still having trouble with 8), but I think the lock-in to ProTools is significant.

When you get into the HD systems, the computer is not very important (but it does need a lot of ports that are only on MacPros in the Apple line). This means that you can get by with a much cheaper PC tower. Logic will rise or fall with the Mac market share.

I think ProTools will always dominate Hip Hop, Country, and Pop music. Logic seems to make its headway in electronic music and other less traditional genres.

Tarkovsky

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2007
London/Norwich
Zero Heroes - do you have any experience with the high end PT hardware? I say this because in terms of the LE line at least it's generally conceived that PT's hardware lets it down. Likewise it's considered an advantage that LOGIC supports a vast array of interfaces.

Joe Bannon

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Zero Heroes - do you have any experience with the high end PT hardware? I say this because in terms of the LE line at least it's generally conceived that PT's hardware lets it down. Likewise it's considered an advantage that LOGIC supports a vast array of interfaces.

Yes, and PT does support others like Apogee.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I still think of them as 2 different types of audio app. PT is a direct to disk* digital recording app. And Logic is a sequencing app.

I guess I'm old.

* how 90s is that phrase?! :eek:

andy5000

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
i have a digidesign digi 002 rack so have pro tools le. like people say there two different applications. I have recently bought logic studio 8 for its midi capabilities and the fact i dont have to have my digi 002 r connected to open logic.
i dont think it will replace pro tools, too many people have the hardware and will just use it because it comes with the hardware

andy5000

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
yeh i saw a pro tools hd system a few years ago, would be a dream but only a 19 year old student, one day!

Tarkovsky

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2007
London/Norwich
Pro Tools 'compatible' with apogee? What do you mean you can use external apogee A/D? That's not the point. Any interface with an SPDIF of AES port will be 'compatible'. The point is that this has made the original A/D in the interface you forked out for pointless. At LE level at least the hardware is substandard which presents an issue for the small-time engineer and as the music business is decentralizing it's also a problem for digi.

Joe Bannon

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Pro Tools 'compatible' with apogee? What do you mean you can use external apogee A/D? That's not the point. Any interface with an SPDIF of AES port will be 'compatible'. The point is that this has made the original A/D in the interface you forked out for pointless. At LE level at least the hardware is substandard which presents an issue for the small-time engineer and as the music business is decentralizing it's also a problem for digi.

I'm not trying to make a point and I'm not referring to LE. No studio I know of uses LE. I'm telling you that PT HD can use other interfaces, not all, but some good ones like Apogee. IMO, PT sounds better with Apogee.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I don't think PT will lose their top spot anytime soon, mainly due to the DSP cards. Sure you can buy external things that can kind of do the same thing, but then there's also the issue of delay compensation (unless the other programs have taken care of that, up not %100 up on other programs)

If anything does take its place, its going to be nuendo, not logic. Pretty much everyone I know that doesnt use protools uses nuendo.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
IMO, the rosetta 800 does better. But that's me.

I'm not talking about converters .... (which IMO Mytek > Apogee > Digidesign)
I'm talking about the DSP cards .. (HD or Accel). These cards handle most of the processing power of your plugins and other audio bits ... and no other company has made anything that compares to it... and you have to have at least one of these cards to run Protools HD

But if you want to argue converters ... no, the rosetta series (either the 200 or 800) are not better than digidesign's converters... But the AD-16x / DA-16x are...

Joe Bannon

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm not talking about converters .... (which IMO Mytek > Apogee > Digidesign)
I'm talking about the DSP cards .. (HD or Accel). These cards handle most of the processing power of your plugins and other audio bits ... and no other company has made anything that compares to it... and you have to have at least one of these cards to run Protools HD

But if you want to argue converters ... no, the rosetta series (either the 200 or 800) are not better than digidesign's converters... But the AD-16x / DA-16x are...

Ah, you said external things without anything specific, so I guessed. My mistake.

And I'm not going to change my opinion on the converts, so you can argue with someone else ;).

Have a good one, I said what I needed to here.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
... mainly due to the DSP cards. Sure you can buy external things that can kind of do the same thing...

Ah, you said external things without anything specific, so I guessed. My mistake.

And I'm not going to change my opinion on the converts, so you can argue with someone else ;).

Have a good one, I said what I needed to here.

clearly talking about DSP... and i was refering to this kinda of product

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
The music biz likes unofficial technical standards in as many instances as possible, and rightfully so. Just like how NS-10s were an unofficial standard so that people could go from one studio to another and still be familiar with the monitors, people don't want to have to learn 3 different DAW packages just to work in different studios across the street from one another.

However, there's one thing the music biz likes even more than unofficial technical standards, and that's money. Protools can still justify its existence because it is a de facto unofficial standard and people don't want to learn a major new piece of software just for kicks, and there's no clear DAW software that's heir apparent.

Also, at the real high end, such as in hollywood movie scoring, I believe there are still tasks that a totally computer based DAW still can't offer. So if the major industry guys have to use protools on their major projects then they aren't going to learn another piece of software. And as long as the major industry people have to use protools then there'll be a trickle down effects that makes all other people keep wanting to use protools too.

So as much as I am not a fan of digi or their products, protools isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.