PDA

View Full Version : Use Intel mini as Apple TV

cvzyl
Jan 7, 2008, 10:53 AM
I'm sorry if this question has been answered in some way already. I am a total newbie when it comes to the Apple TV and I'm wondering if it isn't better to get the bottom of the range Mac mini rather than the ATV. I feel that the mini can do additional stuff like do encoding with Visual Hub during the night rather than doing it on my MBP.

What will I loose if I choose the mini rather than the ATV? Which functionality does the ATV have that the mini doesn't? Am I just uninformed or is the ATV just a "stripped down mini" running Front Row?

Thanks for your replies.

Cobus

flinstone
Jan 7, 2008, 11:07 AM
I Think the only thing you can't do with the mini is youTube via the Front-row app. And hdcp, component and hdmi of course

TheQuestion
Jan 7, 2008, 12:10 PM
The mini also doesn't do wireless N out of the box, you have to buy a additional hardware device for that.

ziwi
Jan 7, 2008, 06:08 PM
Much of what you are looking to get answers to for the mini can be found in this link to the 123macmini forum on how to make the mini a HTPC...

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=64&sid=ece9eeaf0fbfc726a5f87587ebd7c497

fkntotalkaos
Jan 8, 2008, 01:23 AM
The mini also doesn't do wireless N out of the box, you have to buy a additional hardware device for that.

the new mini does right?:cool:

je1ani
Jan 8, 2008, 03:05 AM
the new mini does right?:cool:

Yes it's a $2 CD but I think it's included with the Apple Base Station with N support.

mr_matalino
Jan 14, 2008, 04:04 PM
The mini doesn't have HDMI either

GimmeSlack12
Jan 14, 2008, 04:08 PM
The mini is great as a media center machine. I actually an old G4 Mini ($400) and bought a remote for it and stuck Front Row on it. Works great for downloading media, music, pictures, or playing DVD's. An Intel Mini would be much faster for ripping video too. I configure everything through my iBook via VLC and FTP so I never have to use a keyboard/mouse in the living room.

Yes, it doesn't have HDMI, but pretty sure it has N-wireless (and if not you get G which is by no means slow). Though it does have DVI output or S-video if you get the connector.

TheQuestion
Jan 14, 2008, 04:18 PM
Yes it's a $2 CD but I think it's included with the Apple Base Station with N support.

The tech specs show the mini is only equipped with the G standard. I do no think the upgrade works on this, but I could be wrong.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

The "N" enabler info page on the Apple store also does not mention the mini.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=17BDE0AD&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/airport_wireless&nplm=D4141ZM/A

rjphoto
Jan 14, 2008, 04:26 PM
The mini also has a DVD Player/Burner, Firewire connection and can be used for editing some home movies.

The hard drive in the low end Mini is larger than the low end ATV but only half the size of the top end ATV.

So, you are looking at $599 vs. $299 or $399.

Personally, I like your idea. If price is not a factor that's what I would do.

CWallace
Jan 14, 2008, 05:20 PM
I am a total newbie when it comes to the Apple TV and I'm wondering if it isn't better to get the bottom of the range Mac mini rather than the ATV. I feel that the mini can do additional stuff like do encoding with Visual Hub during the night rather than doing it on my MBP.

The largest advantage of the :apple:tv is it's simplicity. It does not do everything, but what it does it does well and with no real fuss. This makes it appealing to people with little to no experience with - or a desire to own - a computer.

The Mac Mini can do much, much more thanks to being a "real" computer. But it adds complexity because you have to know how to use a computer.

As someone who is very comfortable with computers and being the only user, I really think I am going to go with the Mac Mini.

But if I was buying for my parents? :apple:tv. No contest.

gkarris
Jan 15, 2008, 03:05 PM
The mini is great as a media center machine. I actually an old G4 Mini ($400) and bought a remote for it and stuck Front Row on it. Works great for downloading media, music, pictures, or playing DVD's. An Intel Mini would be much faster for ripping video too. I configure everything through my iBook via VLC and FTP so I never have to use a keyboard/mouse in the living room.

Yes, it doesn't have HDMI, but pretty sure it has N-wireless (and if not you get G which is by no means slow). Though it does have DVI output or S-video if you get the connector.

You can get the IR receiver that works with the Apple Remote here:

http://twistedmelon.com/mira/

GimmeSlack12
Jan 15, 2008, 03:17 PM
You can get the IR receiver that works with the Apple Remote here:

http://twistedmelon.com/mira/

I prefer the AirClick USB by Griffin, its an RF remote.

gkarris
Jan 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
I prefer the AirClick USB by Griffin, its an RF remote.

Good one too. Some people prefer IR so they can use a universal remote.